Reviews of Hotel Equatorial Penang 5 stars

1 Jalan Bukit Jambul, Bayan Lepas, 11900 Bayan Lepas, Malaysia

#2 of 16 hotels in Bayan Lepas

• Premier Double or Twin

I understood why many Japanese people stay here. Clean room, friendly staff, nice food. I'll try Japanese food restaurant in basement floor next time with my customer.

• Premier Double or Twin

could be a table and chair in the balcony elevators were down , 4 at same time....

extraordinary mountain Bukit jambul hiking trail just next door AMAZING.....free, a thousand time better than exercising in fitness room, view amazing, in fact i book this hotel for this because i still remembered this trail from 2003, the old lady making tea at the top died in 2013 but the view is still there.

• Deluxe Double or Twin

After the payment I didn't get my receipt, and have to ask to give my a copy. Tooks deposit 100 ringgit per day - you have to calculate with this.

Very good comfortable hotel. In you room you have everything you can need: tea boiler, fridge, iron. Very clean room, great entertainment program. Nice pool. Quick response for any requests.

• Premier Deluxe

Check-In takes way too long. I am a frequent visitor and it takes always 10-15 minutes to check-in. Don't know why to be honest. However, Staff is extremly friendly and proactive. Rooms could be modernized are unfortunately out-dated, compared with other Hotels.

Nice night Bar with good music - Good trained staff for F&B. Prices at the Bar are reasonable. Nature scenery around the Hotel is nice to look at. Also cool interior and architecture.

• Club Premier Double or Twin

Bit noisy if you don't like the pop music from a live performance next to the pool.

Good view for the golf course and even better when you try a round. Free transport to all major city locations, although the schedule may not be always convenient. Breakfast selections are great and one of the staff (a petite girl with smile) is very helpful to introduce the local dishes.

• Deluxe Double or Twin

No praying mat provide in the room even earluer request via booking.com

The hospitality...great welcome by all the staffs of EQ especially frontliner,housekeeper and restaurant

• Club Premier Double or Twin

the excellent service. kudos to the fabulous staff! I left my jacket behind by mistake and the wonderful staff retrieved it for me even though I realised it only one week later. now that is what good service means!!!

• Deluxe Double or Twin

My room was 305 north wings, when I open the window I saw some very huge blower somewhat noisy.

Polite Staff, clean room, and overall hotel looks amazing.

• Club Premier Deluxe

I did"nt like the fact that we paid for our breakfast. and since we are there because of a conference the hotel did not even go out of their way to hire a bus or a shuttle to bring us to the conference sight. and during breakfast when we are in a hurry. I wanted to pack some food to take with me and the staff was so strict with food packing that I was not able to have breakfast nor did they allow me to pack food to the venue... you have to be more sensitive to our needs. pack us breakfast if you have to!!!

• Club Premier Double or Twin

outside restaurants or bars are without car to far away and the drinks at the hotel bar are much higher than normal malaysian standard

Breakfast , rooms and Hotel itself , also the pool area is very nice .

• Club Premier Double or Twin

-Registration took more than 20 mins -Front desk did not asked for additional deposits, but went on to lock the room refrigerator. - No service or at least courtesy call from maintenance despite reported desk lighting was not function

So far so good

I arrived at this hotel early morning with my family included baby for 7 months & 2 kids. I thought can check in early for 50% rate from the actual rate. But one of the staff at front table very kind person allowed us to check in early without any charges. So thankful. 10 hours journey from KL very tired, my baby crying & and 2 kids not enough slept. When I entered in the room, Wow!! the room bed very big, was enough for us (2 elders, 2 kids and 1 baby) & comfy. My kids very like pool. but we no chance to taste the food due to not enough time. I will going to stay at this hotel again.

• Deluxe Double or Twin

Lift was not working on morning of 17/2. I had to bring my luggage down from the 6th floor to go to the airport and ended up quite late. I was not informed earlier that the lift was not working and no one came to help with the luggage. When a lift stops working they should station a staff at every level to give assistance. Very disappointed with the management.

• Club Premier Double or Twin

Excellent hotel, enormous swimming pool, good restaurants and live music 6 days out of 7. Huge fitness room. All staff very friendly, helpful and competent.

• Deluxe Double or Twin

I was very appalled and disappointed when I was informed in the morning that I have to pay extra for the breakfast. I thought that for the price I paid and not including breakfast, it was not worth the money spent.

It was comfortable and very near to the airport.

• Deluxe Double or Twin

I prepaid 3 rooms through through Booking.com vide two different transactions. When checking in we verbally reconfirmed that the rooms were paid for. I was asked to pay a deposit & I paid for 3 rooms. My son arrived late & he was asked to pay a deposit again. My daughter checked out early and they asked her to pay before she leaves. My daughter refused. We later checked out and they asked us to pay for all 3 rooms. I had fortunately kept the booking numbers and they confirmed from their reservations that the rooms were prepaid from Amsderdam. So they let us go. However later in the day, they charged both my son and my cards. I had to call and was passed to the reservations. No one picked up the call. I narrated the story to the front desk who promised to get the reservation call back. But I had to call back instead and the front desk said they will reverse the charge after I explained to him that Amsterdam notification to them on payment is on my behalf from Booking.com and I need not personally pay again. Now I am not sure if the reimbursement would happen. Something is very wrong with Equatorial Hotel Penang. It appear none of them had the initiative or common sense to correct the mistake when first detected. Since there is two transactions and therefore could be a systemic problem, I am concern this may happen to other guests as well.

• Deluxe Double or Twin

Comfortable double bed, large room, nice furniture, perfect view, good aircondition, modern large bathroom & equipment, wide beautiful swimming pool, hommy ambiance, wide parking car

• Deluxe Double or Twin

I like all the staffs. Especially from the concierge , i bring my disable dad which is need to use wheelchair all the time from parking to the room. And they helped almost all the time when we were there. And not every hotel reserved few parkings at valet area for disable like equatorial penang. Congrats !!

• Deluxe Double or Twin

The only thing I'm confused is I booked a room with 2 single beds for my dad and brother but they received a room with a queen size bed. Since the system is down during the night, they had no choice to check them.

The staff and manager are very helpful. They responded to emergencies very quickly and professionally. My dad had his finger injured and bleeding profusely, so they drove him to the nearest clinic and paid for the medical fees. The manager even waited at outside of clinic just to make sure he is fine. I'm happy for their services provided.

• Deluxe Double or Twin

Before booking the price, need to consider the price is exclude additional Tax (6%) and Service charge (10%)

Even though the hotel is quite old, the room is good and fair

• Deluxe Double or Twin

Im a bit confuse about the lift. Coz we need to change the lift from the parking to the north wing.

The hotel exceeded my expectation. The room was spacious, clean, smell nice and very comfortable. The pool was awesome which got a waterfall and the cave area that we can relax and spend time with family there. and they also got jacuzzi. The staffs were very helpful especially azrul and shamsul from the reception counter that help me with very the last minutes booking problem. And also the staffs from parking that i didnt get the chance to ask the name who help me when i was lost looking for the lift with my two kids.

• Deluxe Double or Twin

the enviroment is really nice the staff were very friendly and overall cleanliness is great. although the price was a bit high and the location is a bit far from the main town.

• Deluxe Family

Customer service at the reception and cashier (check in and out) is terrible!!!! Only one male staff was handling a ‘problem’ case at the check in counter. Holding up the queue. Ignoring me (next in queue) for a good 15 minutes, then only look up and ask ‘can I help?!. There’s another lady staff nearby the check in counter but busy doing paperwork and ignoring the queue till the male staff asked her to attend to me! Check out. TWO ady staff at the counter handling ONE customer, ignoring the queue. One uncivilised guest who wanted to check out did not queue, stood in front of a counter without staff. Then another staff came over from the reception side and attended to her. Ignoring the rest who have been queuing.

The room is comfortable and clean. Staff at the restaurant for breakfast has good customer service. Pool was very nice. Staff at the towel station polite.

• Deluxe Family

It's the penang marathon week. I can see a weak planning of manpower. From check in and out the queue at the front desk is as long as those shopping in supermarket. Yet there is no additional staff coming out to assist. Only after quite some time some staff is coming out to help to ease the front desk pressure. Could be better plan.

Clean, spacious and comfortable

• Club Premier Double or Twin

Food and drinks very expensive to the degree it spoils your time . It’s too far from shops or restaurants so your a captive audience paying the inflated prices

The breakfast was nice

• Deluxe Double or Twin

We love staying at EQ Penang because of the privacy and the location. My family and I (8 of us) were there for attending my brother graduation. The staff are very accommodating. We manage to get all 4 of our room before 12noon since we arrive there early and they also allow us to check out late. We really appreciate that. There are wide selection of breakfast which my family and I enjoyed it very much.

• Deluxe Double or Twin

The package didn't include breakfast so for the price i paid it would have been better if it came with breakfast. Was told to add on breakfast was RM68 which is rediculous!! Who would eat breakfast for that price.

The room and bed was super comfy. Gorgeous view as well. Clean big and nice overall.

• Deluxe Double or Twin

The carpark is confusing upon arrival as it was my first visit to the hotel. No proper signages indicating where are the lifts to hotel lobby. The Front desk staff's direction after i took the stairs up to check in was not helpful either...

• Deluxe Double or Twin

Because it was a big hotel, parking and then walking over to the main lobby was a bit of a hassle. But this is not actually a complain, just saying when you are tired and want to check in...

Great older hotel- big & spacious rooms. Was clean and neat.

• Premier Double or Twin

Breakfast is quite expensive for what it is and there seems to be all kinds of tax added for various things which bumps the price up quite a bit

Rooms are clean and relatively spacious

• Deluxe Double or Twin

Front desk staff works very slow ( took me 45mins to check in) . Besides , the room access card system , i'm not satisfied ( few times I can't scan in the lif , need to go back to front change the card ).

house keeping staff very good ( provide the baby cot very fast )

• Deluxe Double or Twin

Shop inside hotel not always open. No shop nearby either. Ordered a lot from hotel in the restaurant. On Sunday they have a promotion for senior 60+ to dine for half price carvery. We made sure it was correct. Starting eating then was approached by staff saying his manager said it was only for local people. We had to kick a fuss as was basically rascism. We was paying customers and staying at there hotel. We also confirmed the deal before eating. We managed to get it for reduced offer price. And demanded the hotel big manager be aware of the situation. He came and chatted to us but didnt resolve anything we hadnt already done ourselves. Other than that problem we didn't have any other. I felt sorry for the young waiter because he was so polite and tried to help more than anything everyone we dined there.

Loved the hotel. Has soon as we walked in we was wowed. The pool was really nice and in the caves area was a jacussi. Very comfortable sun lounges and dining tables. Changing room close by near towel station. Food was really good but abit pricey. On demand films in the room we did not expect so that was good. Really comfortable beds. Room cleaned daily

• Deluxe Double or Twin

The shuttle van driver was punctual, courteous, responsible and a careful driver .even remind passengers if travel documents are intact before we left the hotel for airport departure

• Deluxe Double or Twin

The room had a slightly musty odour upon entering but improved once the AC was turned on. Also the room service could've been better - I ordered the nasi lemak but when it arrived they had forgotten my anchovies and peanuts! Upon informing it was rectified speedily.

Room was comfortable and clean.

• Deluxe Double or Twin

Car park is frequently full as there are conferences at the hotel. No shopping or street food close by. You have to take a taxi. You have to plan your day.

This property has got a big pool. Shuttle to airport and Georgetown.

• Club Premier Double or Twin

Bar service was terrible. Awfully slow at delivering drinks and organisation of cheques

The hotel is really nice with great facilities and amazing grounds and proximity to the Penang GolfClub.

• Deluxe Double or Twin

The room is a bit far from the lobby, no stalls around the corner. Got to travel by car if you need some snacks.

A big and cozy room,although in a first place we need two rooms. 5 of us sleep in 1 room because no vacancy. Enough space to move.

• Club Premier Double or Twin

Just think the hotel should provide take away breakfast for guests leaving before breakfast opening time

Its a very nice place to stay, nice lounge as also

• Deluxe Double or Twin

The parking is not convenient enough as we have to climb the stairs.

Basically the room is clean and comfortable. Facilities at the hotel are all good.

• Club Premier Double or Twin

No Arabic restaurants nearby the hotel. We have to take a taxi for 45 min to Batu Ferringhi as most of the Arabic restaurants located their. I had a bad experience with most of taxi drivers at this city. So, I decided to use Graber app (similar to Uber) to ask for a ride and I recommend it for anyone travelling their. Make sure to use Mosquito Repellent Cream all the time even inside the hotel. Finally, traffic congestion all over the city between 5pm - 8pm. So, I have to avoid calling any taxi during this period or I have to wait for a long time until I found one.

Suitable for Business travelers. Friendly and helpful staff. Good breakfast as well. Nearby to Queensbay Mall.

• Club Premier Double or Twin

Almost everything. I reached there early than I expected (10.30 am), the reception person denied to give me the room early and did not even respond when I asked for a refreshment room. I felt bad and left my luggage thr and went to site seeing and checked in at 8 pm. The travel desk did not give me options when I asked them, if you are not taking their taxi, thy wil not help. Oh wrost experience ever, I had to carry my luggage all the way to taxi and put it inside myself, the hotel person was just looking at me and did. Not bother to help me ( may be bcoz I just gave 5 Myr tip to him one the first day to drop my luggage to my room)

Breakfast was really bad. They do not know how to prepare English breakfast. I had to live on corn flakes. And the service is really bad. They treat you well only if you tip them. One of the staff did come to me and asked for the tip. Unfortunately I did not carry my wallet and could not tip him. all the three days I had my breakfast the waffles section had no waffles and when I asked the cook there. He did not respond and got busy preparing omelette. Worst experience of all the hotels I visited.

• Premier Double or Twin

Your enterance to the hotel was very busy due to tourist buses and they block the entire exit to the car park and during night and in the morning..

Everything is just fine

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin

It would have been great if staff told us about the nice restaurants below the lobby floor. I am not sure if I parked at the wrong wing but I had to walk quite a distance to/from my car carrying a 4-year old at 3am upon arrival.

Beautiful landscaped garden with waterfall and a variety of nice restaurants below the lobby floor. We did not realize the above existed until after we checked out.

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin

Free WiFi should not be restricted to two devices only as a standard for 5 star hotel. Air condition system should be very efficient particularly in a very humid country like Malaysia.

Outside view from hotel room, facing a green golf range and blue ocean.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

• Premier Deluxe

We had ordered breakfast as our room not included breakfast. But the breakfast was really tasteless and not worth for the money. Really very disappointed with the food there.

The room was spacious and comfortable

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

• Premier Double or Twin

There could be chairs at the balcony but not a major issue cos didn't spot many people standing at the balcony.

The staff on the whole were very friendly and helpful. Peaceful place. The pillows were of 2 different combinations hence it was comfortable to sleep.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin

Staff should assign room base on non-smoking request. We request for a change of room upon finding residual cigarette smell in the room and as well as ash tray in the room.

Overall staff service attitude is pleasant.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin

Housekeeping staff shall be alert. Request 3 times for baby cot even had mentioned in booking.com unfortunately until night nobody sent to room. Even checked in at 3.00 pm but we only get to checked in at 6.30 pm. Being informed our room at level 10, when checked in they gave room at level 8.

The swimming pool were big. The garden was nice.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin

Staff at the reception counter is not attentive. Obviously there are two of us but only printed out 1 welcome drinks coupon. Not even bother to show direction for the 2nd tower lift when we were struggling to find it.

The swimming pool n garden however the jacuzzi was out of order due to party that was held on new year eve.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Can't think of anything.

The bed and pillows were extra comfy. The bath was really nice. Wonderful views. The breakfast was excellent. So was the club facilities.

• Deluxe Double or Twin

For a tourist, this hotel is located too far away from all the main attractions. It is also quite expensive to use their taxi service everyday to travel into town. I would recommend something closer to George Town or near Batu F

Very professional and clean hotel/ rooms

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin

Breakfast was apauling (the staff: slow and "disoriented"). Our second room 566 was not very good. Electrical cables looked old and half cut. Pb with lamps and electricity.

The restaurant and the swimming pool. The room (546) was very nice too.

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin

The swimming pool too far from the wing i stayed. Have to walk pass thru the lobby area to go to the pool. Quiet troublesome. Not sure if got shortcut anywhere.

Nice and clean hotel. Value for money

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

• Premier Double or Twin

Wifi connection needs better accessibility. It took us quite a lengthy time to access EQ official web.

super comfy room. Efficient & friendly staff @ Front office, House-keeping, Room Service (in-room dining).

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin

Staff service was poor. It took nearly 1 hour to check-out. The rooms of our friends that were staying at the same hotel were not serviced (despite requests). Restaurant staff were quite rude. Given the distance of this hotel from Georgetown and the absence of local places to eat, we had to eat at the hotel restaurants a number of time, which were incredibly expensive.

Pool was nice. Shuttle bus was very useful

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

• Premier Double or Twin

Carried baby and Line up more than 3 hrs for check in.... no staff care about this.....this is 5 stars hotel but the service is terrible.... where is the DR solution?

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

• Premier Double or Twin

the check in process made me standing in line for 1 hour, which is so ridiculous and the checking out also took more than 20 minutes...crazy system

the room is so cozy

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

• Premier Deluxe

The process of online check in system need to be improve as myself and others guest experience long waiting time during check in more then 4 hours.

We enjoy the swimming pool and service of staff

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

• Premier Double or Twin

The check-in process took more than an hour. As my stay coincided with the school holidays, hotel had high occupancy. Noise level was high as parents allowed their kids to run along the corridor outside the rooms. And some families were chatting with their room doors opened.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin

Long que for check in and rooms were not ready. Some of my relatives had their rooms ready at 5pm. Room service was dissapointing. Called to order and 5 mins called again to have a minor change/adding on to the bill but was told that I can't have order changed.

Great pool for the family

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

• Premier Double or Twin

The check-in waiting period is very long. Have to queue 1 hour at the reception. Should practice numbering system in-stead of queuing.

Room is very clean. Nice view from the balcony.

• Premier Double or Twin

Process of check in and out was horrible. Took hours in line to wait. No complimentary vouchers were provided after all the hassle. Hotel claimed to have not received payment and after an hour realised that they were wrong. Staff incompetent.

• Club Premier Double or Twin

Seeing the very long queues at the check-in counters until very late at night ( past 12 MN! ) & the very tired guests around the reception in the lobby.

Excellent service at the Club counter and the Club lounge. Also the shuttle service which was good & on time.

• Club Premier Double or Twin

The checking in process at the lobby was not organised for big crowd. It was poorly done. I paid for a premier club room through booking.com for a discount but I was told I am not eligible for club facilities/ breakfast at the club. That is not fair.

The receptionist lady, named Ju at club lounge was helpful.

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin

Staying for business trip. Comfortable room for stay, the front desk receptionist staff is helpful But its a old hotel with old fashioned furniture. The shower in our room is very hot and the water get slower over time. Overall is ok. Wont come back for another stay

• Reviewed: 29 November 2016

• Premier Double or Twin

Had to change rooms as the bathroom got clogged. But the hotel maintenance staff who attended to our complaint was kind enough to arrange the room-change for us.

Room was great. Very confortable. Free in-room movies available.

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

• Premier Double or Twin

The room was clean. Toilet amenities was well stocked. Good selection of movie selections. Not too close to shopping and night market. Pay a little more for transport; but it's worth the stay

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin

Went for Penang marathon which is held yearly and i believe Equatorial has been part of it for so long. waited quite some time to check in and reception was so occupied that calls were not answered. suggestion for next year since u will anticipate the crowd do have more staffs to standby.

Room was great and spacious

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin

The food is not nice. I'm expecting good food as the review before. Quite frustrated with the buffet breakfast

I like the environment and hotel surrounding. Greenery scenes

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

• Club Premier Deluxe

We stayed in Club Premium Room. Room is spacious and comfortable. Club lounge is very clean and serves good snacks. The highlight is the breakfast- superb spread, tasty and very very friendly staff. Met the Chef, very humble, cordial and respectful.

• Club Premier Double or Twin

the room dark, need re-furbish, There is live band near the pool during dinner which is kind of ''noisy' if you dine in the coffee house. Far from center, you need taxi or shuttle to city center or nearest mall

breakfast varieties, quiet hotel, free movies to watch.

• Deluxe Double or Twin

It was a comfortable stay, with clean and greenery surroundings.

Breakfast not included