Reviews of Sunway Hotel Seberang Jaya 4 stars

No 11 Lebuh Tenggiri Dua, Pusat bandar Seberang Jaya, Prai, 13700 Perai, Malaysia

#2 of 11 hotels in Perai

Nice stay and valuable for money
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Room was very comfortable and clean. I have no issues in regards their services. Just a walking distance to mamak stall and few restaurants which can be explored for. Very valuable stay and definitely will come back and stay here again.

It was a pleasant stay although it was only an overnight stopover for us as we left early.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

It did not come with breakfast but it was not a problem because of easily & affordable local breakfast available in the vicinity of the hotel.

Clean room & fairly spacious, comfortable bed. Staff was helpful & informative. Private & secured parking.

Clean and comfortable
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Location was bad if you were there for a leisure trip. Only a few things to do in Seberang Jaya. Hotel was also short staffed. You would have to wait for things eg room service or wanting extra towels and amendities

Great facilities, amazingly clean and so comfy!!

Overall ok.
    • Premier Double or Twin Room

I didn't get discount even though I always stay here almost 6 times per year.

Comfortable. Easy access to shopping mall, mamak reataurant, victoria stations, CIMB Bank MayBank, bla..bla..bla..

Nice place to stay
    • Club King Room

Breakfast is average, doesn't taste that good. We came during eid celebration so they were short-staffed and took longer time to clean the tables and replenish the food

Great service - reception, room service. Conveniently located near mall and shops

The room was clean, the bed comfortable, in room safe, iron...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The room was clean, the bed comfortable, in room safe, iron & ironing board provided , good shower & bathroom amenities. The staff were also wonderful.

The location is good.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Room abit stuffy because air con cannot adjust to our desired setting. I set air con to 16 celsius but it automatically changed to 24 celsius. The staff at the front counter could be a little friendlier.

The location is good...very near shopping mall and eateries.

An excellent choice, albeit a little hiccups
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The staff who handled my first day breakfast during sahur seems to be more lost than I was when I asked to be allowed to participate in the buffet breakfast. She responded by saying that my room didn't include breakfast - which I already knew but I was asking how to be a paying customer instead. Sort of put me back a little because it sounded as if I could not even opt to pay for breakfast. The other thing which let me down this time was that the bathroom had what I just assumed is pubic hair on the corner of the shower area and also another corner outside the shower area. I didn't ask for a room change though as I think that would just be annoying to the staff anyway.

The staff who casually mentioned that "I've been here before" during my check-in, that was a gesture which made a real difference to my experience. The pleasant smell throughout the entire hotel to my room. The comfortable room as always, and the housekeeping team whom returned my thank you note with a "welcome". Excellent! Also, there's plenty of shops, ATMS, and eateries around so location is fantastic.

Good stay so far
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The receptionist during checkout was quite rude and not helpful. No smile as well. Have to change to other staff to do the checkout.

Love the bed and pillow so much. Super comfy! The buffet breakfast was awesome. So many choices and tasty too. Will stay again next time.

Just ok
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Breakfast still no improvement on vegetarian options although this is our third stay. Always ended up eating bread, salad and fruits. I expect more for what I'm paying. The whole world is moving fast towards veg & vegan options but Malaysian hotels still struggle to meet the standards. Should prepare some veg meal for us rather focus on too many non veg items! As I said, I'm paying for it! Room is ok, could see the dust and even had lizard 💩 around. Staffs need to be more friendly rather being "just listen to what I'm telling you" kind of attitude. This I noticed at the counter and cafe on both days of stay.

Strategic location is what making us to stay here. But I'm thinking to try other hotels after this.

Good but not great.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The duvet was only clean at the top but underneath had blotches (which is very disturbing to see in the bright morning). Booked without actually looking at the details due to the name, thinking there would be a pool, but there is none. (May I suggest a rooftop pool then).

The room was nice and the staff were friendly. The bathroom was very clean.

Good service and clean rooms
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The staff at the breakfast buffet were proactive and friendly and they were good with our kids. After we had checked in the front desk called to see if we were happy with our room. It's more geared toward business travelers but generally well set up.

Value for money
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

They have improved their breakfast choice compared to my first stay in the hotel... There are more varieties and better in taste as well... Keep it up!

I just being real
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Staff not that friendly, seem like they so into "read" person with their own perception I think, not that knowledgeable, smiling faces not seen except for the bell boy who was polite and did asked if he can be at any help...I like him, he should be put at the front desk!...anyway, I support sunway hotel for being non smoking hotel even though I'm a smoker...not going to stay there no more I think....

Near to city and the place I'm heading to

I have no other option in Seberang Jaya.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The smell is quite bad. I almost falling down at the entrance. My mother was bitten by insect.

I like the location is strategic with restaurants. Easy to get foods.

Bed , room , all ok
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The time to check in take time , about issue cant find my booking through booking.com , and food at coffe house when breakfast they doesnt topup the food so pity for those that havinv breakfast around 9 am .

Bed , room , all ok

My stay was pleasant, no complaints whatsoever.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

As with every hotel, I find lighting in the room to be only satisfactory.

Staff efficient, friendly and courteous. No hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Satisfied.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Maybe can have aromatherapy kind of thing on the floor so that it smells good as you get out from the lift / escalator or from your room. boost up your spirits!

bed was comfy

The room is spacious and location is strategic, it is worth...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

we have make calls to confirm before arrive, unfortunately the calls can not be reached or cut-off during the line transferred, the room got smoking smell even that is non-smoking room and the receptionist response very slow even at non-peak hours.

The room is spacious and location is strategic, it is worth for the value paid.

Your staff didnt give priority to pregnant woman.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Your staff didnt give priority to pregnant woman. This make me stand almost 20minutes in order to be entertain. You should hire more staff. Very inconvenient. I only ask him to open my room due i left my key

This is my favourite hotel in Penang..keep coming back at least in every three months
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The credit card verification. Most of the time I have to call the reServation department a week after checking out in order to request them to call the respective bank and cancel the credit card transaction which was meant for verification purposes.

Almost everything about the facilities, staff and food.

Price and location
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The property do not accept debit card when booking! When booking.com send confirmation the property always rejected. It's a hassle!

Price and location

Poor
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

1. Non smoking 2. No basement parking 3. Extra parking far from hotel. If raining it's difficult to walk from car park to hotel. 4. Poor breakfast menu 5. Housekeeping did not knock the room door before came in.

Clean and bed is comfy

Decent
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The fact that i made booking is inclusive taxes thru booking.com. Nevertheless, during check in hotel said it is not included. Toilet room 811 - the sink was mouldy not clean & clogged.

Early check-in at 12noon Complimentary shuttle service to sunway carnival mall Welcome drinks

excellent
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

the room is comfortable, neat and clean, the staffs are friendly and helpful. I booked 4 rooms for the family and it is excellent for the price we paid. I will consider this hotel again for our future trips

cleaner should not simply enter the room while guest is...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

cleaner should not simply enter the room while guest is inside the room. it happened on the first day during my stay. it was one of the unpleasant experience i had for the previous trip

Sunway Seberang Jaya my favourite hotel in Penang. Dont leave home without booking..
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Hardly, they treat me well all these years and try everything possible to accomidate us.

This is my regular hotels when I travel to the north. Everyone kniws me well ans I know them too. I have noticed their breakfast spread has improved tremendously. Perviously I had breakfast outside but now I prefer to have breakfast in.

Convenience place especially for those travelling with infants and senior citizen
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The room is spacious and comfy...the menu for breakfast is amazing..the staff are friendly and attentive..on top of that it is very strategic location, next to shopping malland surrounded by shoplots and eateries.

To travel with infant, the hotel didn't equipped fully...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

To travel with infant, the hotel didn't equipped fully likr basie baby baty basin not available. Its few ringgit item but couldn't imagine why is not available in hotel.

Zaidi at reception was very efficient, helpful and courteous.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The parking ticket quality needs improvement. The machine at exit failed to read my ticket on 2 different occasions! I was given a replacement ticket but it is very inconvenient...

Zaidi at reception was very efficient, helpful and courteous. My reservation was not yet updated due to very last minute booking but he explained and handled it very well. Waiting time to resolve this was less than 5 minutes.

All
    • Premier King Room

I lost my watch there, it was very important for me, because it was my grandma bought it for me. And she was passed. I don't doubt your stuff who cleans our room. But if it is possible, please, please, find and return it to me. I can give you some money to regard as a gift for thanks. I'll stay in Malaysia until 9 February. Please. Thank you for your helping.

All

The price is cheaper in Booking.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The price is cheaper in Booking. com but after made payment including taxes, it is no different with my company corporate rate. During booking RM168 and after taxes RM198.80 but no breakfast. My company corporate rate is RM 221 including breakfast. So please give reasonable price if offer discount.

A very enjoyable stay and recommended
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The food at the restaurant is not up to Sunway hotels standard. It has one of the worst hotel food in the group.

Room is clean and location is close by to malls and food.

Very bad experience. First time we got a bed bug bite in 4* hotel
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We stayed at 2 rooms at level 8. Me and my daughter have a very bad case of bed bug bites from 2 rooms. The bed is really old looking and not properly kept.

First part was uncomfortable but rest of the day was wonderful
    • Premier King Room

They need improve the customer service especially the front desk staffs.A day before i asked for early check in and they ask to call back on check in day but the staff said, we can't check in(1pm).customer service is important

Very well located for shopping and for foodies .

overall room is very comforted.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

as a 3 star hotel, we were suffering with the guest lift service during our 3 days stay in hotel. they have lift maintenance/issue for all their main guess lift, all hotel guest been requested to use the loading bay/kitchen lift to access to our room floor.

overall room is very comforted. Room service is just nice, they are fulfilled all the request from their guest as soon as possible.

Clean and comfortable
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The hotel price in booking.com should show inclusive of gst and service charge, so that the customer has better estimation of the total amount needed to pay.

The room is clean and comfortable.

The room is comfy and well equipped.
    • Premier Double or Twin Room

The staff on the reception were passive. When we checked in, no detail has been told. This included the breakfast time. The worst was every room entitled for free parking. They didn’t tell us how to waive the parking fee. And we wasted our money paying the parking fee every time we went out. Until we check out, the bell boy told us how to waive it.

The room is comfy and well equipped.

Not so good an experience this time around.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Lift under maintenance while there. Checked in to a smelly room . Asked attendance to spray wih deodoriser .. no effect. Even the phone was smelly... never wiped ??Finally asked to change room.

Good hotel and close to Sunway carnival mall
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The buffet dinner looks unappealing and food does not look appetising. I did not eat the buffet on this trip but previously I had breakfast which does not reflect the hotel standard for it's f&b.

The rooms are new and clean. It is close to Sunway carnival mall and there restaurants all around the hotel.

The room is average but comfy, however there is so many
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

the bed is not confortable, and quite noisy from aisle you can hear people walking and chatting, the door is not sound proof, the water pipe sound from room next door really disturb of my sleep The sink inside the toilet is not in order

all services is average

Ok

We requested for room for disabled person as my husband is kn wheelchair. I have called to comfirm 2 days before arrival and the reservation desk has confirmed. Upon arrival we were informed that the room is occupied by a long stay customer. Though the toilet is ok but still my husband has difficulty to shower and use the wc. We were ok but the stay would be more convenient should we stay in the room for disabled. Thank you

Bed is comfortable Aircond is not so cold

Fair
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Customer Service very poor. 1) Call up to ask for assistant internet problem in the room, never attend till the day I check out. 2) Never asked how was my stay but 2 people from hotel customer service called to my room asking same question about my room after I check-in. 3) I call up the hotel a day before to check on my reservation, talk to Vani not helping. Requested talk to Duty Manager on duty, en. Firdaus never attended me & never call me back till im check in the next day. Not even meet & greet. I don't think I will come back to this hotel next time.

The bed & pillows was very comfy

The breakfast is so good.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

My room have a bit problem with the aircond. The temperature is lock and can't be change.

The breakfast is so good. Many choices.. Clean and spacious room. Value for money.

Very very satisfied w food n in house hospitality
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Suite offered had only one centralised air conditioner, had to ventilate a large room.

Very good complimentary measures taken. Offered free upgrade to suite because fully booked

Good location - restaurants, shopping mall & supermarket...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The lobby is a bit small.... congested with people waiting for the tour buses

Good location - restaurants, shopping mall & supermarket within walking distance. The hotel is clean & has ample private parking area

It was a very comfortable hotel and the variety of food during the breakfast was superb
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Everything was perfect even the room. However, just a minor setback. The bathroom has a slight urine smell when I checked in. Although I was not sleeping inside the bathroom but perhaps the housekeeping should be alert when cleaning up the room.

The staff were very courteous and made sure that help is always within reach. Most of the hotels in town are fully booked and I needed a room for the night as it was getting late. Although the hotel rooms were fully booked, the staff took the initiative to upgrade my room without further charges. I never expected that. Thank you!

Bad reply from hotel staff

I booked a king size bed room, but they only reserve twin bed and I get the reply is fully booked. Under booking. com, they will not reserve the right for booking.com customer. And they charge me the same price of king size bed room. Tis is what the hotel staff reply to me.

Everything just perfect.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I cannot used my genius bonus for extra 2 hours late checkout. Because the bed so nice, I need more time to enjoy the bed with movie.

Everything just perfect..

Not comming back unless it refurbish

1) Room carpet is dirty. 2) Under the bed carpet is filty dirty and full of dust and it can be collect and turn in to cotton wool. 3) Everythings in the hotel is very old seem like never being upgrade.

Nothing that can impress me

aweful
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

It was the second incident involving the same hotel never will I ever step in the hotel again

The sad experience was that my credit card was compromised.Made payment on 23 Oct to the hotel,immediately the data was stolen and on 24 morning the clone credit card was utilized to make purchases in England up to the amount of $2400.My bank is carrying out investigation and I strongly suspect the internal staff are involved.No reply from the hotel in spite of my complaint.Please advise guest to be vigilant using oversea credit to make payment

The flower smell of the lobby
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The Singapore bihun doesn't have spring rolls as described The mushroom soup is delicious but a little bit salty otherwise the garlic bread that paired with it is just perfect

The flower smell of the lobby The ban heang cookie King size bed

A great stay, definitely recommended
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I noticed the water in our bathroom did not clear quickly after a shower.

Our room (Premier double) was very spacious and well-spacious, perfect for a family with 2 small children. The welcome drinks, complinentary drinks and biscuits in the room are very kind gestures. Staff are also well-trained and polite. Furnitures in the room are well maintained. Bed was very comfortable; love the large pillow sets. TV offers a variety of channels(non-astro ones though) but still some good ones with drama and movies. Bathroom is quite spacious, with many toiletries to make your stay a little more comfortable. Location wise, the hotel is very near Sunway Carnival Mall and shoplots, with eateries and convenience stores within walking distance.

Clean and feel-new room.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Air conditioning cannot be adjusted to what it says on the controller, heater & fan. so the room just can be set to air conditioning and switch off option. How comfy if the heater can be used as well. room 1118. Hope can give discount for returning customer as well

Clean and feel-new room.

Overall a good stay
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Breakfast choices are limited. Two days breakfast same, not value for money. Will opt for no breakfast next trip

Location is good, near shopping mall and F&B outlets. Room is well maintained and air-con is cold.

Booking Directly would have been cheaper. Disappointed
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The walk in price is RM178.00. The Booking.com charged RM169.00. Disappointed to see the price discount which was given by Booking.com????????? Claimed to be the cheepest???????????????

The location, staff and cleanliness is the room.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The breakfast choice is so limited. Unexpected for a hotel under Sunway Group. Only the teh tarik worth mentioning. The rest can't even beat the food court standard of meal!

The location, staff and cleanliness is the room.

Excellent!
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

If they have the Halal certification, that will be perfect.

Free mini bar, very nice amenities, clean and comfortable room. All in all, it was one of my best hotel experience.

It is in the city center.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

None to comment, our stay was too short to find any fault with the properties. All was good.

It is in the city center. The rooms are spacious and clean. Our initial room that was confirmed has been fully booked upon arrival so we got upgraded to a nicer room as a complimentary.

Lovely n comfy room.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Perhaps more seatings at the lobby. Air cond setting in room a little confusing but it was ok with instructions.

Lovely n comfy room.Front office team very helpful n attentive. Gave us all double bed upon request. Eating area- plenty. Parking lots - plenty. Welcome drink n Penang Biscuits in the room. Very comfy bed n spacious bathroom. Sufficient toiletries. Great location as we r jz staying on mainland to attend a wedding.

Awesomeness!!! Just come here and stay NOW!
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Not much to complain about really. I'm not much of a fussy person.

Staff's pleasant attitude and helpfulness! Hotel cleanliness and services provided. Cozy bed and pillows, and did I mention staff's pleasant attitude? Yes, I emphasize on that twice!!! :) Pleasant smell upon entering lobby area.

overall a good stay
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

My booking through this site was not updated in their system, so, I had to wait for about 20 minutes before I could check in.

The bed was very comfortable

Would stay again for convenience
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Breakfast cafe was quite cramped and the selection of dishes can be improved. Some bedside sockets would definitely be helpful for travellers who like to work leisurely.

Staff were helpful, very big open space car park. Location is quite convenient, a selection of food eateries nearby.

5.5
    Not sure what too put here!
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The breakfast buffet food was mainly for muslims and people from the local area. There was very little western food to choose from. I did ask for the cook to make me an omelette but he said no. The food was not appealing to me...it was not refreshed when ran out. I pre-booked at this hotel for 9 days but ended up shortening my stay at this hotel and went to another...

The first night was a nightmare, I tried to get down the elevator (only two for customers). Little did I know there was a convention going on that night and the lobby was really full with people trying to access the only two elevators to go to their rooms. There are stairs, but to access them you activate the fire alarm so I didn't use them. it took me over 14 minutes to get from the 7th floor to the lobby. Then when I wanted to go back to my room, I couldn't...I asked about stairs and the manager gave me access to elevators in the back for people that work there. Those elevators should be used by everyone to alleviate the problem of just two working elevators for customers. Im glad there was no fire that night!

Clean and spacey.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Staff was impolite.. allowed another guest who arrived later to jump queue. Bathroom was broken.. sink was stuck then leaking.. so was the bidet.

Clean and spacey. Fast respond time by staff.

The day when I stayed there, too many events until I felt...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The day when I stayed there, too many events until I felt that I can't release my tense, disappointed as I came all the way from KL to Penang just to stay here. I have been given the nearest room to the lift, 1101... Too loud with people's voices

Great stay with Sunway Hotel
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Too bad the reception don't have any iPhone charger as we forgot to bring it with us.

The room is clean and spacious with all the essential facilities, like iron and iron board. Enjoy the complementary snacks

Some dumb idiots who still smoke in the hotel room even...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Some dumb idiots who still smoke in the hotel room even though there is No Smoking sign. It's annoying where child is concern. Hotel must play important rule too !!

Sunway Hotel Just Like Home
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

In my opinion the breakfast needs to be upgraded. The Light and Ixora they have better choices. Indonesian hotels of the same range serve better breakfast than Malaysian hotels. Most of the time I take and enjoy breakfast outside the hotel.

This is THE hotel no matter which range you choose they are equally equipped. I have been a regular and love it that eventhough I tried to change to a better hotel, in the end I came back to Sunway Hotel SJ. I found the water pressure in the bathroom is so good that you don't feel like to get out of the bathroom. The space is good no matter which range. There is big closet, mini fridge, hair drier and good bath gel and shampoo, iron and kettle too. This is the only hotel in the wirld that parking at ground level is not a problem. The bell biys and the security guards they are very friendly people. The reception will depend on the number of guests check-in. There is a big mall if the same name and plenty of restaurants and shopping around the hotel. Even bird's park is also within walking distance to those without transport.

Good all round
    • Premier Double or Twin Room

We were upgraded to d club room ..would have been better if we were allowed to hv breakfast or at least coffee st d club.

The breakfast was decent, i had toadted english bread with youghurt and a pau.

Good hotel to stay in mainland part of penang

Dining hall (beside front desk) is small, need to share table w strangers during breakfast

Perfect location if you going to mainland of penang, mcd, kfc, subway, shopping mall n shop in walking distance, ample parking, very friendly front desk staff including bell boy, rate is cheap compare to hotel facilities and room' comfy.

The hidden cost.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The hidden cost. Why do they charge me on room service even though I didn't request any? The non stop music played could be listened from my room and disrupted my peace

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Superb hotel and Value for money!!!

Some workout equipment was out of service. Please maintain and repair whereby possible.

Warm welcomed by the front desk staff, superb breakfast and well upkeep toilet facilities, nice views and value for money, will back for next business trip stays!!! Good works!!! renovated recently

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Decently happy
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Not too safe to walk alone outside the premises of the hotel building to nearby restaurant rent a car if possible.

Value for money, nice staffs and convienent place overall.

Worst..get insulted by your staff
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

none ..the room very smell and ventalition not working .water pressure very low... rate below avarage ..i am not recommanded to anyone or going to stay there again.

none..you staff shouted at me ...

Browse Sunway Hotel Seberang Jaya traveller photo gallery