Reviews of Tanjong Jara Resort 5 stars

Batu 8 Off Jalan Dungun, 23000 Dungun, Malaysia

#2 of 13 hotels in Dungun

Leaking roof at a 5-star resort?

My mom's room was leaking during heavy rain at 9pm! We were very surprised as a 5-star resort at USD 400 a night should not have a leaking roof! We called the maintenance guy and he informed us he is unable to do anything until the next morning. Therefore, mom had to sleep on a slightly wet bed with drops of water falling directly at her pillow area. Fortunately the rain stopped before midnight and we just continued the night in the same room, praying it wouldn't rain again later at night. We were offered another room at 10pm but we were all too tired and mom uses a wheelchair to get around, therefore it was too much trouble as that meant we would have to repack and unpack our luggage to move rooms. Anyway, it was still raining heavily when we got the offer to move rooms and it was already late at night while waiting for the rain to subside. We did request for a discount for a leaking room but was informed they could not do so. I on the other hand, occupied a room on the second floor with a view of the beach. Only gripe is one of the (new/unused) towels were smelly (probably not enough cleaning/steaming, again a big surprise for a 5-star resort) and the stainless-steel flap for the shower drainage outlet came off the floor. It needs to be fixed (cemented back on) as the sharp corners might injure someone. I also noticed the Qiblat marker (Makkah direction pointer) is grossly off-course! Based on my app as well as directly comparing the marker position (in relation to the room position; ie. comparing the marker position to the crown moulding for an accurate point-of-view) to a satellite view of the unit I stayed as well as double-checking it by comparing the direction with nearby mosques (all mosques point to Makkah), it is more than 30 degrees off course! I shudder to think how many people's prayer direction have been misled... as markers in other rooms might be misrepresented too.

The beach had fine sand and was clean. The breakfast was good with a variety of fruit juices freshly squeezed from real fruit (not "fresh from the tin" like other places) and the food selection, especially local dishes such as nasi dagang and roti canai was a fresh change from the usual fare at other hotels. They need to improve on the coffee though as it tasted bland, considering it is a local coffee. Making gourmet coffee available or an espresso machine would be most welcomed! We loved the pool next to the Nelayan Restaurant as it had a 1.6 meter depth throughout and had a nice design with mature trees as shade. Ms. Amira at the reception counter was very helpful throughout and attended to our needs, even until late night as she was also instrumental in assisting us to get a room with a view of the beach. Kudos to her and her team!

Relax, i missed the Parrot :-(
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Breadfast choices are low quality and very limited compared with 10 -15 years ago. Dinners was a disaster, we drove out for dinner in Dungun. very limited activities, beach BBQ, fishing expedition are no longer available staff were much more resourceful and helpful

pewceful and quiet

The perfect getaway for a long weekend
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Simply amazing. The rooms are huge and perfectly furnished. The place is really quite and that’s the perfect getaway for a long weekend. The 3 restaurants will provide you with different kind of food for an affordable price. There is two pool and only one is allowed to kids. It’s a bit expensive for the area but it worth it.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Have been to all the YTL resorts and rate this one very highly, and will return next year.
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Only one minor problem was the bed which was not soft enough for my wife with a back problem, but this was immediately resolved by the staff on the first day.

The friendliness of the staff. The surroundings. I think just about everything was perfect, and even although I drove to the resort from Penang I felt there was no need to go outside.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

The place is fine despite the arrogant price but for the...
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

The place is fine despite the arrogant price but for the fact that I was told to suddenly purchase another room because we were all 3 adults during the check in was really troublesome. The resort should have done the headcount way earlier before i proceeded with paying deposit if they are verily strict with their policy. Or at least show me the policy to enlighten me that their room only fit in 2 pax and not more. They even called at 11pm to check if there are only 2 adults occupying the room and came to knock my door after 11pm. This is so unprofessional. I wouldnt mind spending if the resort ar least issue a letter or notice at my room for us to pay extra. I have been tavelling a lot and this is the worst experience with so called 5stars resort. My initial plan to further my stay for another night was straight away cancelled due to this.

- Amazing beach
    • Bumbung Double Room

-Slightly cobwebby. -Accidentally charged my room for something I didnt order. But that was settled pretty quickly.

- Amazing beach - Nice pool - The bathroom is huge.

• Serambi Double or Twin Room

Our room was bit far from the pool area.

Friendly staff always greeting with smile, nice room, resort area was great, with big pool. Massage in spa was very nice but bit expensive. Water was brought when we were at the beach.

almost a perfect stay, but not quite
    • Bumbung Double Room

a 5 star resort which doesnt have a menu in the room for food delivery. annoying for those prefering to dine in private. no centralized switch to control the lights too. the window blinds were not working.

the greenery and isolation were nice. the staff are generally welcoming. the food was nice

Beautiful gardens, relaxing beach, friendly staff

Absolutely nothing.

It was our anniversary trip. We were surprised by a very nice decoration of the room and bath tub with flowers, a welcome letter, and later with an anniversary cake. The experience was amazing and the hospitality of the hotel's team was memorable. Staff were so kind, nice, and helpful. Room was really clean and well-equipped. The hotel garden and nearby beach were amazing. Breakfast was really good, everything very fresh and tasty. And finally we had a very pleasant experience of watching baby turtles release at night organised by hotel. In summary, it was a memorable experience and I strongly recommend this resort to couples. They can build a very romantic and beautiful memory in this resort.

Very enjoyable and will return for sure!
    • Anjung Double Room

Please have extra plug points near the bedside tables as we had to remove the bedside lamp plug so we could use that point for our electronic devices. We were turned back at the Nelayan restaurant that had a saturday night buffet as we hadn't made a reservation, a bit unfortunate and we felt we should have been accomodated as we were resident guests and it was a buffet unlike a set menu, we would have been ok to sit by the pool or on one of the beach deck areas if the restaurant tables were full up.

Stayed in the Anjung, perfect location to enjoy the beach and the villa had a garden frontage too. Staff very friendly and always helpful, special mention to Kin Kin reception he was so nice every time he met us. The food at the main restaurant was customised to our requirements when we wished, we asked for a to go lunch pack and the staff had even stuck a note on the box-wishing us a safe journey and hope to see us again. Since it was our 30th wedding anniversary we were surprised with a cake and special decor in the room, it was very nice that they went to extra lengths to make our stay special.

Enjoyed my stay with my fiance

The spa is abit pricey

Staff are very friendly and helpfull especially Mr. Kimie, he and team members giving alot of support to my fiance to prepare a romantic proposal. Reception staff was polite, check in and check out process was fast and smooth. Will definitely recommend to my friends and family.

It is a good and quiet place for get away from the busy city life.
    • Bumbung Double Room

I very dislike the plastic bottle on the beach, no cleaning or maintenance on the beach

I like the cozy areas for the guest to relax for example the bed at the beach site

Relax and enjoyable stay!
    • Bumbung Double Room

The Tanjong Jara Resort signboard is only facing 1 side of the road, it's easily to missed out the junction when we come from another side of the road.

Very good breakfast. Room is clean and happy with the pre set up bath tub upon our arrival, we enjoyed very much. All staffs are friendly and helpful. Appreciate the birthday cake and birthday song that surprised me when we had dinner in Nelayan restaurant.

We had a wonderful holiday at Tanjong Jara where we always felt more like guests than customers.
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Can't think of anything we didn't like.

The staff are lovely and lavished the very best of Malay hospitality on us. There was always someone on hand to give you a fresh towel or pour you a cool drink. The food was really good and catered well for westerners as well as those who appreciate the best of local cuisine. The rooms are spacious and luxurious. We very much appreciated the wonderful gardens throughout the resort which provided shady places to find shelter from the hot Malaysian sun.

pleasant
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

the toilets might need some upgrading works. Currently it is a bit dull looking and old fashioned

The whole ambience was perfect. I love the beach, the activites within the resort, the amazing architecture and well planned place.

Brilliant place for a weekend getaway. With the new LPT2 highway, it's only 4 hour drive from KL!
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Ventilation in the bathroom could be better. Odours take some time to clear up. Some wooden bits in the bathroom that gets in contact with water are starting to rot away or in need of a coat of varnish.

This resort is truly a hidden gem in Malaysia. I've been to many resorts like these all over the world, but little that I knew I only had to drive 4 hours from KL to enjoy the same experience here in our own beloved country. When you enter the resort compound, it truly feels like it's in a world of it's own. The buildings, furniture and amenities are all well maintained. They really do pay attention to details. Cleanliness of the rooms, grounds and beach are excellent. The breakfast spread is good and tasty. Absolutely no complaints in this department. Room service food are also tasty. Expect to pay premium price around RM30 per dish, but it's not bad. If you're keen to explore outside the resort, it's only a few minutes drive from local eateries, namely Medan Ikan Bakar Kuala Dungun (opens from 6pm) and a few keropok lekor and food stalls along the beach road on Pantai Teluk Lipat. If you're planning a stay, I recommend to make Saturday one of the days as they have a special evening from 5 to 6 pm where you can experience the old Malay Village culture. There's traditional entertainment, food, drinks and activities where you can mingle with other guests and hotel management in a very casual and fun setting in the huge garden by the beach. Almost all the staff we met were genuinely polite and friendly. However, there was this one staff that ruined our experience a little bit. But overall it was a very pleasant stay.

An amazing holiday in every way
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

I cant fault this place. This is a hidden paradise. My husband and I spent ten magical days here. The surrounds of this property are truly beautiful, all the tropical plants and wildlife have a very calming effect on your soul. But the best part about this property are the staff, they made us feel like family. To all the restaurant staff led by Chef Anne and the rest of her team, Chef Maz, Semmy, Hamden, Ong, Izah and many others whose names escape me, thank you for a truly memorable stay. The food served here was so fresh and tasty. It was a pleasure seeing your smiling faces every day. To Babul, thank you for keeping us so well hydrated around the pool, your smile and service will always be remembered. A big thank you to the lovely lady who serviced our villa twice a day, always smiling always making sure our needs were met. Her skill in making animals out off bath towels were always a lovely surprise when we came back to our room.

Just amazing!
    • Bumbung Double Room

Friendly, great Service/staff; amazing breakfast; clean and big rooms with perfect room-service....everything was really good! Enjoyed the stay so much!

It was an amazing stay! Would deffo come back again.
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Would have love it if they have an in-room dining services. Especially after a long drive and late arrival.

Liked that all the staffs are friendly. Its very peaceful. Breakfast spread is good too.

Excellent hotel with a few minor negative points
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Limited variety of food at the restaurants and the beach was disappointing. The sand isn’t fine and the waves are rough. The sandflies are vicious-beware!

Excellent breakfast; beautiful rooms; good tennis courts; gorgeous landscape; very friendly staff.

Closest thing to paradise on earth
    • Bumbung Double Room

Location quite remote _ no restaurants and shops nearby. The restaurants were overpriced for what you were served..

The whole complex gives you the feeling that you are in the middle of a tropical jungle. The"adults only" pool was very welcome. The big infinity pool was gorgeous, too. The room was as palatial as the architecture of the resort itself. The treatments at the Spa Village were very professional. The staff were all very friendly and always ready for a chat. The WiFi worked wonderfully.

The day bed and room amenities were great.
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

The day bed and room amenities were great. The events held by hotel was awesome. The kids absolutely love the Turtle Talk or Turtle Conservatory Crew. We didn’t get to see the turtle hatchlings due to off season

Exceptional
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Fascinating place like a paradise Staff are awesome, smily & very very friendly for real not as part of the job obligations The cultural evening on Saturday you can feel real Mali experience and the staff are family members. Extend extra two night to celebrate My husband birthday instead of Redang Island. The reception & restaurant staff helped me with a lovely surprise party for him around the sunset and did room decoration . And special thanks for Amira Zaki who took us a good amount of beautiful photos for the birthday with her professional camera. This paradise is just perfect, I highly recommend specially for couples and peace. The Dungun town is 10 min drive in case you need 7/11 and ATM . Main pool view is amazing

I would name it as PARADISE
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

The seashore was quite brink. During the higher waves it was a bit insecure for teenagers and adults as well. The seashore wasn't clean enough. Just a meter outside the hotel territory it was like shore of garbage.

Everything was superb, except the beach.

Excellent resort. Ideal to enjoy a quiet stay.
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Restaurants capacity too small if the hotel is full. But the food is good.

Everything in general. Very recommended the Malay massage. The girl that perform it has a really magic hands.

The room was spacious.
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

For a five star resort, this hotel needs to do more. 1. There were cockroaches in the bathroom 2. The beach was filled with washed up plastic and no evidence that clean up was happening or going to happen. 3. The pool was not cleaned while we were there. 4. It needs to make more of an effort for families. Like an outside play area or free arts and crafts. Or beach /eco activities. There were daily activities but everything was extra payment or not suitable for families.

The room was spacious.

relaxing, pleasant stay with amazing view!
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

1) Mosquitoes in the room (got bitten quite a bit on my first night until I had to wake up to spray repellent), 2) room lighting was a bit too dim, 3) the room door and window locks didn't feel secure enough, 4) the frosted window at the bathtub may not give sufficient privacy...

1) Watching sunrise at the beach was an amazing experience, 2) love the SuciMurni flower bath experience 3) my leisurely breakfast overlooking the river.

Beautiful resort, however the food is less then mediocre.
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

The food is very mediocre for the price you pay. There are very few healthy options (eg. offer brown rice or quinoa in place of white rice). The spicy coconut milk option at dinner is watery with little taste. The oil used is obviously vegetable oil, which is refined and reused. There is no decent coffee except nescafe!? There are no milk alternatives. I have been to this resort a number of times and your Pangkor laut - both resorts have unhealthy food options which are not inline with other 5 star resorts. The verandahs are roomy and should have at least one lounger in addition to the table with 4 chairs. Cushions are worn out and dirty in many instances.

The grounds are beautiful with very helpful and friendly staff working there.

Beautiful resort that needs improvement
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Main compliant is the beach is not picked up. The hotel really must pay its staff to clean the beach of trash daily, that is the first requirement of a beach resort. Secondly, there is no reason each room cannot accommodate 3 persons, as the day bed can easily sleep a third person, we had to pay for 4 rooms for seven persons, including the old lady's two helpers. Third, the food needs improvement, no taste. Lastly, some staff were ill-trained: Instead of saying, "Let me prepare a larger table for your party," the words were, "If you all sit here, you block the way." And one beach staff questioned my husband and brother-in-law if they were guests allowed on the property! Not acceptable!

Beautiful resort with very nice rooms. We stayed in seafront Serambi rooms which I think are the best. Walk out to beach and close to restaurants. Some of the staff were very friendly and nice. Both the swimming pools were fabulous, one surrounded by jungle trees and plants, the other an infinity pool with flowering tree and lilies around. Swimming pool staff brought iced water to us without asking. We also liked the Saturday cultural event with Malaysian games, a goat to pet, a monkey picking coconuts and many snack treats like apom and keropok. Overall enjoyed our stay very much.

Wonderful serene place to stay and unwind
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

It rained heavily on my 2nd day there and there were a few leakages especially in the toilet

Definitely all the friendly and helpful staff. They make me felt at home and welcomed.

A beautiful beach to relax & unwind
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Your green turf, it is no more green; looks more like a savanna. Tanjung Jara Resort is blessed with beautiful sandy beaches, outstanding pools with superb maintenance but the fields/Gardens are such an eye sore. There may be no rain for days but there is always something called irrigation equipment to automatically water your plants n keep your turf green. Plant only vegetations that are suitable near the sea, not keeping vegetation that are nice in the tropical weather but looking so dull & tired because of lacking in maintenance.

If the F&B manager would like to keep the 3 restaurants in operations, adjust the pricing! MYR30/- per burger in a restaurant is expected; not MYR50/-. The restaurants’ foods are seriously overpriced. We stayed in 5/6 stars hotels in Bali/Phuket. Hotel restaurants are always inviting in all level of service.

It had been a great experience.
    • Bumbung Double Room

The beach could have been more cleaner. Keep up the beauty and scenic view along the coast.

The comfortable and cozy room. The friendliness and politeness of all the staffs be it attending to you or just passing by. To Kimmie, thank you very much for your kind assistance during our check in.

Loved it, enjoyed our six days.
    • Anjung Double Room

Would have preferred a more structured menu at Di Atas Sungei.

Enjoyed the midweek relaxation but everything moved up a gear when weekenders arrived. Loved the pools. Sea view villa was super, large and quiet. Nelayang restaurant had best food, breezy and relaxing. Great breakfast choices.

Perfection is an understatement.

Nothing. It was perfect.

The staff were attentive to us since we step into the compound. Each and every staff were so kind and warm to us, we were so overwhelmed with all the attention we had during our stay. It was the perfect anniversary for us.

Great place to relax!
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Breakfast spread was just average

Staff were attentive! They even drew us a surprise floral bath when they found out it was my wife's birthday. Nice touch!

I might go again for the activities like turtle watch, batik painting, jungle walk and others.
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

I dislike the reptiles surrounding and running everywhere. The journey from pool to the room i accross more i came accross to more than 10 lizzards from small sized to 1 feet length (at 2.30pm-3.30pm hot sun). and found a baby snake :( as well.

loved the couple SPA. the surprise room deco for my honeymoon. relaxing environment in the room and outdoor near the pool and beach.

It was definitely a memorable stay!
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

I pretty much enjoyed the whole experience at TJR. The place was very scenic and peaceful for a little "getaway" from the city. The staff were also incredible, especially Kimie and Suqi. I'll definitely come back!

The best place we know to relax.
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

The best place we know to relax. Long walks along the beach at low tide, looking for and finding shells, just reading a book. Good food at both restaurants with a choice of western or asian. Super breakfast buffet, spoiled for choice. We have been coming to the Tanjong Jara at least once a year for a very long time now and will do so in the future. It is just a lovely place.

The staff is really friendly and helpful.
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

The breakfast is disappointing.

The staff is really friendly and helpful. If they don´t know something, they will get the information and come back to you.

The anjong room that we stayed was fabulous.
    • Anjung Double Room

The AC probably requires some maintenance work.

The anjong room that we stayed was fabulous. Everything is great and we definitely love to be here again!

A nice place for honeymooners.
    • Bumbung Double Room

We left our dishes from our room dining outside of the room and was never picked up even after we were going to check out. Bed bugs attack but I was too exhausted to call and inform the hotel and managed to sleep anyway due to my exhaustion :-(

Away from city
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Nelayan restaurant food not meet my expectations, not variety of foods for all outlets

The resort is really superb, exceed our expectations, it's good for honeymoon and self-retreat. Away from the city and you get a 24 hour seaview, if you want to have a relax holiday you can book this resort.

This place deserve to come. If I’ll be in this region, definitely I’ll cone back.
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Small variety of food in hotel restaurants. Extremely expensive spa.

Very beautiful and comfortable room, especially with sea view. Very friendly stuff. Beautiful territory and garden, many animals, like monkey, birds, butterflies.

Beautiful hotel
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

There are only 2 restaurant to have lunch and dinner. And there is no place to eat outside the hotel. So if you stay for the whole week, there might be little choice for meals. and the restaurants are quite pricy. The beach is not okay to swim and snorkeling because of the big waves and storms, when I visited in the end of December. Around December, the west of Malaysia like Langkawi island is a good choice for snorkeling. The only way to get to the hotel is by taxi or to rent a car from the airport. It takes 90min by taxi, and the price is fixed, you have to pay it by cash at the airport counter.

very good view, the room and the whole hotel area was nice and beautiful. Breakfast was excellent. Hotel has some free activity to participate, recommend the one to understand the culture of Terengganu area.

Almost perfection!
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

The restaurant was a bit understaffed but it was monsoon season, i get that most people would be on leave.

It was quiet and peaceful. Even though the place was fully booked, we feel like we were the only one around. A great place to recharge and relax. I also like the fact they have promotion for their early bird for spa!

awsome
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

along the way to the beach n gazebo are tooo bushy. we are afraid of snake. 😊 n just the weather not on our side

we like the bathroom scenary was delightfull if u can manage to plant are herbal plantation

Beach service-no water for hours
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Beach service-no water for hours Early breakfast-not everything was ready for 7 am Security guards-we were asking all the time who we were, even after 5nights at the resort

Impeccable. Absolutely beautiful experience.
    • Anjung Double Room

The Elephant 'sanctuary' is not a sanctuary. I left crying. Horrendous experience that should not be endorsed or promoted by the hotel. We spoke to the manager at the time who seemed shocked to hear of our experience and was extremely apologetic. We refused to pay which was accepted immediately and we were put up for dinner courtesy of the hotel. They also said they would look at taking the activity off the activity list. We would love to go back but will not do so until this is done. Cannot fault the customer service surrounding the situation.

Impeccable service and beautiful, friendly people. Cannot fault the customer care and attention. Particularly Izah, Nicole, Chef Anne, MK and Rakesh.

Great stay! Love this place.
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

There was a turtle nesting area for this season, for those who want to see the turtle release, it is recommended that you check with the hotel before arrival. We love the beach, although the pool is small, we can always escape to the beach. There were local fishermen and they were kind enough to show us their catch. My kids were delighted to hold the fish, including a baby puffer fish. In general, love the whole place as it was quiet and not too crowded (even at breakfast), even though the hotel was fully booked.

Stunning Resort
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

- we have tried the family pool, and we have discover the surface of the pool has got a layer of oil (not sure what it is), which caused uncomfortable to swim through it

- room is very comfortable - short walking distance to the lovely beach - wide range of breakfast selection (especially the fresh fruit juice counter) - friendly staffs (you will get greetings from all around the property)

Hotel is really nice without the service,service was bad.
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Service wasn't good,paid for wifi but didn't get it at all..the wifi device wasn't working.And paid 500 rm deposit to get wifi

Breakfast and view

Friendliness of staff;
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Restaurants could have varied menus more - difficult to obtain light/snack meals

Friendliness of staff; room excellent and proximity to idyllic beach

Nice for a short weekend trip
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Some members of staff couldn't speak / understand english. That's not acceptable for such kind of hotel. At the beach is only one guy, that's far to less. Should be rather > 4 persons. Fans outside at the rooms terrace would be helpful. Service at the Buffet dinner at Nelayan was catastrophic! Food quite ok. Couldn't fulfill our expectations, we had after we've been to another YTL Hotel Pangkor Laut before, Tanjong Jara is far behind.

The rooms are amazing. Huge, clean comfortable, very nice! Dinner at Di Atas Sungai Restaurant was fantastic, the service and food were amazing!

I love everything about this place.

Nothing everything was perfect

I love everything about this place. The ambience is so peaceful and calming. Perfect getaway for family. And we get to see them release the turtles!! Awesome experience

The food at Di Atas Restaurant was amazing.
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

The rooms were comfortable but the sink had some plumbing issue. Water doesn't immediately go down the drain so it floats up while you're brushing your teeth and I found that unpleasant. Otherwise everything was amazing!

The food at Di Atas Restaurant was amazing. The Serambi room had an extra bed besides the king size bed so that was a plus especially with a toddler. We didn't need to get a pull out bed or a cot. The pool beside Nelayan restaurant has such nice warm water felt like a heated swimming pool. Being a photographer everywhere around the resort is postcard worthy, I felt like we didn't stay long enough for me to capture every part of the resort.

Luxury Stay in Malaysia with questionable value for money
    • Bumbung Double Room

1. allows only 3 person occupancy in rooms. so if you have 2 kids travelling you may need to look at a larger or double rooms. 2. should prohibit smoking in the reception area, especially with kids around. 3. guests should be warned about the sandflies on pulau tunggol (scuba/snorkelling activity offered) 4. property needs an uplift. wooden structures are traditional and nice, but the facade and the surrounding grounds/pavement needs to be looked into. 5. waited over an hour for food to be served at nelayan (one of the restaurants), and dishes were served with significant time delay. After 3 of us had finished our meal, the dishes for the other 2 were delivered.

1.Excellent Breakfast spread, but after the 3rd day the initial euphoria tends to deplete. 2.The staff has exceptional initiative, dedication and very service oriented. Most friendly and accommodating. 3. Best Spa treatment I have experienced in Asia. Must try!

Wonderful Hotel
    • Bumbung Double Room

The water valse in front of room is always empty,would be nice if they fill up we can rinse our feet before stepping into the room.

Fabulous gateway staying in tanjung jara

Park-like generously spaced and peaceful environment, small...
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Beach: jellyfish - nobody dares to swim in the sea One beer costs RM 25 (5 EUR) Too many stairs everywhere - not good for old people

Park-like generously spaced and peaceful environment, small but nice pools Breakfast buffet Food in general good

Peace and quiet
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

The food was overpriced for the quality provided and the description in the menus were misleading! Maintenance had to come in 2 times to fix the reading light and the porch light was not fixed . The staff were friendly and nice but I would have expected more from this 5 star resort.

Peace and quiet

Incredibly overpriced for a 4 star experience
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

We had to book 2 rooms given we have 2 children 9 & 11 years. Given there are no "family" rooms or alot of activities for kids it's not as child friendly as we would have thought. Given this we felt it was SO expensive for the experience/stay. The food & Alcohol is very overpriced.

The staff are friendly & the toiletries in the room are really nice

Awesome beach experience
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Waiters at the Western & Seafood restaurant, not polite at all and the quality of the drinks is not acceptable, sparkling wine without sparks?

Staff at the lobby and at the Korean BBQ restaurant, the beach is awesome and always very clean.

Excellent resort with first class facilities with a lovely beach
    • Bumbung Double Room

Taps in bathroom not mixers and loose so difficult to use safely as hot water is very hot. Take care. Poor organisation of restaurant bookings and lack of responsiveness on the part of the restaurant manager. Spa prices are relatively high compared to other hotels of the same standard.

Excellent first floor room and comfortable large double bed. Restaurants good. Swimming pools good. Beach excellent and sufficient benches. Valet parking. General ambiance and peacefulness. Plenty of activities. Lovely well maintained grounds. Staff, bar one or two exceptions, very helpful and friendly.

Private little oasis on quiet beach, with friendly staff.
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Food excellent, 3 restaurants at the hotel however limited availability and reservations are necessary. This is not made clear on arrival and the hotel struggles to cater for the number of guests. No room service. No snacks or light meals available from restaurants. Long journey from airport, avoid peak times.

Private little oasis on quiet beach, with friendly staff. Diving and snorkelling trip was excellent.

Our 3rd Visit And Will Go Again!
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

No beach sandals provided.

Food, Turtle Sanctuary, Saturday Malay Culture event, pristine clean beach, staff hospitality, Pulau Tenggol Snorkeling activities.

Beautiful resort for a east coast beach escape, with fantastic service and staff
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Nothing at all, and I am confident that if there were unexpected challenges the staff would sort it out swiftly and professionally.

The staff is just amazing and made this short stay an unforgettable one. I dropped a hint that it was our anniversary celebration and everyone from the staff gave it their best to make us feel welcome. They also surprised us multiple time with a 'happy anniversary' celebration: amazing! Thanks staff! The snorkling tour to Tenggol island is also a great hidden treausure of the east coast

Paradise
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

A couple of drawbacks about this place is that it is an hour's drive from the airport and if you don't rent a car, you have to eat in and that might be slightly costly. Second, there is a thin film of oil on the river water. I hope they clear it as it would be more pleasant and safer for the monitor lizards swimming in it.

Tanjong Jara Resort is really one of the gems in Terengganu, where it displays the authentic Malay culture from the food, music to their service, they were extremely polite and helpful. Our housekeeper was excellent too, as they were VERY VERY attentive to our arrangement 'style' and needs. (E.g.: Water bottles and drinking glass by the bedside tables and extra water bottles in the fridge). Breakfast was superb, their nasi dagang (a local rice and fish breakfast) and teh tarik was amazing! I had two teh tarik every morning and even then, the waiter knew on the second day stay that I wanted a second cup of teh tarik :P I can go on and on about how wonderful this place is, but honestly, if you are in search for a relaxing and calming vacation, this is it! The sea and waves may not be too friendly as it is the South China Sea after all, but I'm not a big fan of going into the sea so that's okay for me. Plus, the swimming pools are pretty cool. Overall, this is a wonderful place and I hope that they keep up the good work in preserving the environment and the culture.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Memorable..

none

they thought of everything, the umbrella if it rains, the beach bag so that we can carry stuff to the beach, complimentary drinks when we were seated by the pool as it was hot.. superb!

Heaven
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

Not much else around the resort.

Wonderful big room with balcony and sea view. First floor rooms better than the ground floor. Rooms closer to the gym and pool are better, you do not have to walk too much when is very hot during a day. Free fruit water with ice is a nice touch. Food is great, try buttermilk prawns. Lots of activities, we try scuba diving and cooking lessons both fun. Staff very helpful and friendly. I was very happy with the lack of mosquitos. Private, beautiful beach.

Place is good for relaxing
    • Bumbung Double Room

Staff at the Nelayan Restaurant did not know how to converse in English properly, the cutleries and also plate have not been cleaned properly. Limited equipment in gym area Hotel mgmt should maintaining a healthy garden especially lobby and room area.

Big room, cosy and private beach Food was great @Nelayan Restaurant

Paradise.

Nothing. It was perfect

Our second visit here and would go again. It never seems busy. Enjoyed the Korean BBQ and steamboat meal. The waiters showing us how to cook both meals. Try the Batik painting course - good fun even if you can't paint.

Lovely peaceful stay

Nothing to dislike

Peaceful location, enjoyed the adults only pool. Good choice of dishes in the restaurants & all the staff from the lovely lady in the spa to the service staff were faultless in their manner.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Friendly staff with local attire.
    • Bumbung Double Room

The water in the bathroom did not flow very well, I take shower in water which I have to wade to exit the shower door. Other than this, the place is superb. Wish I could view the sunrise. Wish there's more to watch on TV.

Friendly staff with local attire. The roselle drink is really good and refreshing. Love the architecture! Generous supply of coffee and tea as well as the sugar packs. Pack of honey would be nice to add in my cup of tea!

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Beautiful place
    • Bumbung Double Room

The price..unless u are christian grey.. then the price should be ok.. Breakfast definitely need a whole lot of improvement..

Everything.. Super friendly and helpful staff The beach

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

GETAWAY FROM BUSY LIFE
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

The bed caused me back ache because after getting up there is a depression. Time to change the mattress

Breakfast was good. Chef recommendation of the food was fantastic and delicious.

Remote area
    • Serambi Double or Twin Room

There a lot of hotels around the World in Jungles. But i never ben in place where birds shout all night long at 88 Decibels. Whole night. I love birds, but this was too much. Restaurant was far from price tag. If You order appetiser and second dish every time You will get everything together...

Remote area