Reviews of The Magellan Sutera 5 stars

No 1 Sutera Harbour Boulevard, 88100 Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

#18 of 123 hotels in Kota Kinabalu

Magellan Sutera Harbour is the only place to stay in KK.
    • Magellan Club King Room with Sea View and Club Lounge Access

Other than the club room we found cocktails/spirits based drinks very very weak? My only conclusion is that 15ml is considered a shot?

Staff were very good from start to finish. Club room team were great.

Good facilities, good location, run down room, bad breakfast.
    • Deluxe Twin Room with Garden View

Although originally attractive, our room was musty, run down and badly in need of a good scrub and done fresh paint. The breakfast buffet was entirely geared to far Eastern visitors and very disappointing. A three star breakfast buffet in a five star hotel.

The facilities were very good and beautifully maintained. The sports complex is fantastic

Disappointed that accommodation costs increased 50% from last visit, but standards lowered 50%.
    • Magellan Club King Room with Sea View and Club Lounge Access

Chose this property which was faultless on prior visit. This time Reception staff not at all welcoming. Maintenance required at this property. Cracked basin is certainly not expected for a 5 star Club level room. Shower drying line- three parts missing - really needed for hanging bathers after visiting pool - repairs done, when asked, but this should have been checked prior to occupation. Toilet Paper almost unusable, worst seen in any accommodation - world wide. Pool clean but one entry point barely accessible. The pool requires a lot of maintenance generally. Advertisement of inclusions - e.g. Fruit platter on arrival - requested for 3 days before any result! No hand or face towels first day. Daily newspaper provided once! Standard of food at Club Lounge reasonable, but not up to the level of previous visit. Five Sails breakfast venue left a lot to be desired. Slops on floor ignored most of the time.

Thankfully most of the staff in the Club Lounge area were pleasant and helpful. Staff like Arthur, Fazal and Arcqiel always did their best. Thank you kitchen staff for BEST SPRING ROLLS.

Spacious rooms, friendly staff. Go club level for a great experience.

The hotel is not walking distance to anywhere, so we had to rely on taxis which got expensive.

Stayed Club level and the breakfast menu was excellent - also your own private breakfast room. Evening drinks and food were delicious. Rooms were very spacious with a large day bed in the window recess which could be used as an additional double bed :)

A great location for a relaxing holiday!
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

Breakfast can be quite tramatic, the Days we were there, the staff were run off their feet getting tables cleared and set for the next guests but a good choice of foods is available for all tastes and Cultures, friendly staff - Always with a smile despite their tough job!

Even though the hotel is not new, it has a wonderful charm, the reception area is fabulous with the enormous roof, friendly staff always willing to help, comfy beds, big bathrooms and nice size balconies. Beautiful sea views, location location location is very important, cheap shuttle bus into Town.

Great location and super friendly staff
    • Magellan Club Suite with Club Lounge Access

Can’t say there was anything I didn’t really like

The staff were super helpful they couldn’t do enough for us. I would recommend using the club part of the hotel ok it’s a bit more money but it makes the holiday feel special. And you are looked after more one to one which was nice.

Overall, we enjoyed the Sutera Harbour and resorts ideally located in front of sea and close to town
    • Magellan Club Twin Room with Sea View and Club Lounge Access

Executive lounge amenities like assortment of food and beverages are very limited.

We stayed at one of executive suits and enjyed spacious rooms with fantastic scenary.

Short but i definitely felt fresh and rejuvenated!!
    • Deluxe Twin Room with Sea View

The variety of food served during breakfast. There were less variety than what i expected.

The view was beautiful and the room was spacious especially when you are travelling with children and families. My children also loved the free chocolate in the evening.

We were certainly satisfied and surprised that this place existed, it is on par with a much more exp
    • Magellan Club Suite with Club Lounge Access

WiFi was not strong enough to stream or download, intermittent switching.

I was shocked how nice everything was, especially for the price. Everything and everyone was so helpful and with the marina right there it was perfect for our stop over.

Nice area and surrounding, a lot of activities around.
    • Deluxe Twin Room with Garden View

The Restaurants are a bit expensive. A bit away from town if you plan to go there

Nice area and surrounding, a lot of activities around. Breakfast was good and had many options, even though it’s mainly Asian food.

The whole experience of staying at the resort was...
    • Magellan Club King Room with Sea View and Club Lounge Access

The whole experience of staying at the resort was exceptional. The staff were outstanding and all of the facilities were top class. Thank you.

• Deluxe Twin Room with Garden View

The hotel staff entered our room to put chocolate on the bed after we've checked in. They called it "gift to surprise", but we'd lIke to have more privacy, thanks.

When we arrived and after a long queue at the check in...

When we arrived and after a long queue at the check in counter and was told we need to go the club counter to check in and no one take us there and we need to find our way to the club reception desk

We love the resort so much we will come here every year for our dose of sun, sea and food.
    • Deluxe Twin Room with Garden View

The breakfast buffet coffee machine needs better maintenance due to high volume of usage

We love Al Fresco restaurant and the friendly staff who are very attentive and not forgetting the friendly housekeeping staff who gave up tips about various events around the resort.

Very pleasant and relaxing! Great place to stay
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

There's not much to complain about. Loved everything about our stay. Plan ahead if you want to see Orangutans or Rainforest tours, as they would require a 1hr flight and overnight stay in Sandakan area.

Great variety at breakfast, always changing each day and tasty Large and clean pool Clean and good size room, spacious bathroom' Great customer service, and free shuttle to town and malls

Bathroom badly needs renovation and requres better...
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

Bathroom badly needs renovation and requres better maintenance.The bathtub got rusty. The hand shower water filters were blocked with sand and I have to fix it myself for both rooms. I would expect this as a check list item for maintenance crew. The water drain cover (6526) got loose and wife almost tripped over while taking shower. The faceplate of the tap was broken. Not what I would expect for a 5-star facility. Otherwise, the hotel is fine.

The facility is ok for family although it's old
    • Deluxe Twin Room with Sea View

The stuff was not as nice as we meet in the other country,they don't know how to email specially in the restaurant in the club and bar as well.feels not good .

The facility is ok for family although it's old

My wife and 3 children had a wonderful time in Magellan Sutera. Definately will return

1. The lifts not working 2. When it rains the staircase has rain water trickling in 3. Parking for guest has to be available as when wedding is carried out no space. 4. Sea shore is limited 5. Need the activities we can do in a information sheet when we check in

1. The location is good near the airport, shopping centre. 2. The ambiance is perfect. The seafront and the lobby area is high ceiling and cross wind is felt 24/7 3. The facilities with marina is great 4. Varity of food available

not bad
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

Although many korean is in here, i think almost 80%, any staff can speak korea language. And the staff is not kind to visitirs. They did't ask our situation after i changed the room 3times!!

The landmark of Kota Kinabalu!
    • Special Offer - Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Garden View

The breakfast buffet was not up to my expectations. The food was not that delicious.

Heavenly bed & spacious room with marvelous view over pool area. Excellent watersport programs. Remarkable Ferdinand’s Restaurant & its staff. The staff was overall friendly & helpful.

Magellan Sutera Resort Nov 2017
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

I can't think of anything that I didn't like.

All staff at the resort were extremely friendly and helpful. The resort itself was very open and welcoming.

Start with a very bad impression, but enjoy the facility
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

Every thing is good, except the front entrance security guard, he was very rough and no flexible. I went to the parking area want to park my car before to check in. Unfortunately the carpark was extremely full due to having a wedding party, some cars already parked on path above the kerb. So I drove to the front entrance to beg he , let me to park for 5 mins for check in and I explain to he that once I got my key I can park my car even on main road far from the car park. But he shout to me , your car will be trolled away. I drove to the parking area again, but it was no luck, then I found a nice security guard in the parking area. He said that you can park in front of the entrance for checking in, and used the mobile phone to communicate to the front desk to let me park for 5 mins for check in. The whole unnecessary processing cost me more than 30 mins. I was very disappointed for that kind of service. I tool his photo, it you ready want to improve your customer service, I can provide you the details.

Olympic size swimming pool

Kota Kinabalu in its best light
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

Possibly needs an update in rooms

The facilities, high standard of housekeeping, plenty of space, well kept grounds, variety of pools all very clean. Great for young families

Fasntastic short get-away with the family.
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

We arrived at Kota Kinabalu on an evening flight. Kids were hungry and tired. Travel from the airport to hotel took only 10 minutes. Check-in was seamless and we were upgraded to the Club Rooms which was a bonus! The short and seamless transfer from airport to hotel is a must for short weekend getaways! The Sutera Harbour golf course was well-maintained and boasts beautic scenic play. We had a great time as a 3-generational family both at the resort and golf course. Absolutely love-it!

Good hotel to stay but the services and staff's attitude need improvements.
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

I made full payment prior to my travel and was informed by my bank that hotel stay has been charged. However when my friend got to the hotel, he was not allowed to check in and was asked by the reception to show proof. I then forwarded my bank receipt and my id and was told that I have to check in in-person myself as the hotel did not have my payment record. When I showed up, they just took a look at my credit card and happily handed over the room key. I felt that they were just being difficult and the front desk staff could have just contact me (since my mobile number is stated on the booking) to verify but they donot seem to care at all. At the bar that evening, feeling hungry we placed an order for a snack around 615pm. After waited for almost 30 mins, we enquired about our order and were told it would ready in 5 mins. After 15 mins, the snack didnot come. So we asked again (already 710pm) and were told then that kitchen was just open and the snack would take another 10 mins to come.. By then we have given up; have our order cancelled and went to city for dinner instead.

The location is good as it is close to airport and city.

A fabulous hotel complex with great restaurants & bars.
    • Magellan Club King Room with Sea View and Club Lounge Access

Slamming doors in the corridor woke us up a couple of times. Perhaps soft/ quiet returns could be fitted on the doors. Bars & restaurants seemed to close a bit earlier than the advertised times. The nearby town seemed be under going heavy development. A few paths near the hotel were good but some are still under construction. Crossing the road can be hairy!

Club room spacious & very comfortable. Great view from our room. All restaurants that we visited served excellent food & the staff were all courteous & helpful. We loved the harbour area the most.

Comfortable bed, clean rooms, decorated nicely, attentive...
    • Magellan Club King Room with Sea View and Club Lounge Access

I wouldn't recommend the cocktails at the restaurant.

Comfortable bed, clean rooms, decorated nicely, attentive staff, multiple pools, fairly well equipped gym.

cleanness is good.
    • Magellan Club King Room with Sea View and Club Lounge Access

bed is not so good. not comfortable. but it's good to stay.

cleanness is good. room size is lovely. room conditions are going old. but it's good till now. swimming pool is best.

Buffet breakfast had a good selection and well equipped...
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

the bathroom is dated with grouting between tiles missing & quality of some of the breakfast options e.g., pastries, especially the croissants, were not fresh.

Buffet breakfast had a good selection and well equipped fitness centre.

overall, excellent.
    • Magellan Club Suite with Club Lounge Access

Glad we booked club so breakfast was in a different area to the rest of the hotel as the other breakfast area was very noisy and very crowded.

rooms were excellent, club rooms well worth the money.

Family vacation. Not superb, just satisfactory.
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

A bit crowded, okay if you traveling with children. For couples vacation, anniversaries or honeymoon..., I would go for something more exclusive.

This was our 3rd time visiting this property. First time was year 2003, then 2009, and now June 2017. There seems to be always "peak-season" for this hotel, always crowded, and comparing over the years, nothing much have changed - not better not worse. One positive thing is the water at the harbor still clear, plenty of coral fish and sea urchins to be seen. We stayed for two nights on Tuesday and Wednesday, two nearest lifts (main lift + emergency lift on the other side) near to our room were out of service, we had to use the staircase to reach our room on the 4th floor, which was very inconvenient. The property management doesn't seen to take this seriously. Otherwise we had quite a pleasant stay. Breakfast was good, buffet dinner was nice but would have been a better experience for the eaters if you would have included some basic juice rather than just offering water. For that buffet price we paid, a very simple selection of cordial or squash wouldn't hurt. This is a very family friendly resort, plenty of activities for kids to do. Love the fact that they have so many different pools for you to enjoy. You can also visit the pool at the Pacific wing, which I think is the best because they actually have a working pool bar for chillax! Snorkeling is not possible in their property, although they have this tiny little mini beach there. For snorkeling you can walk to their jetty which is located in the resort around the intersection between Pacific and Magellan. There you will find SeaQuest and you can buy snorkeling packages to Manukan, Sapi, Mamutik etc...

We stayed Club which was excellent.
    • Magellan Club King Room with Sea View and Club Lounge Access

Too cautious.....refused to put a sun umbrella up after it had rained....my daughter has to go back to our room as could not sit in the sun. We had dinner at 5 Sails and asked to sit outside and were refused as had been raining. Area was dry and not windy. D

We stayed Club which was excellent.

I hope to go this resort ASAP!
    • Deluxe Twin Room with Garden View

It was really nice resort ever. The staff in Alfresco were very kind. The room I stayed had so beautiful ocean view! (Though It was garden view when I reserved here!) If I have to stay in Kota, I will choose this resort.

Great for younger people.
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

Very lovely lobby etc but not very easy for older people to get to restaurants from room. Either have to use stairs, walk in the rain or depending on where room is have to walk a distance to the elevators.

Room and view great. Food everywhere excellent.

Could be better....
    • Magellan Club King Room with Sea View and Club Lounge Access

Exterior and interior of resort is well overdue for painting. Looking extemely tired. Paving and corridor floors require pressure cleaning - very dirty and stained. Sails Restaurant (main breakfast restaurant) requires refurbishment : chairs and tables chipped and dirty. Buffet presentation requires upgrading, didn't look appealing. Service not consistent - some staff were excellent, some weren't.

Our Club Room was spacious, spotlessly clean and bed was super comfortable.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Warning : This hotel will charge your credit card if the booking is made by a third party guarantee.
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

I am not sure if this hotel experiences credit card frauds regularly, but having a secured reservation using Booking.com does not mean payments are secured and checking-in seamless. Should your company make this booking for you, you will still need to present your credit card to settle the final bill and not just the additional or auxiliary charges. If your credit card is maxed out, you'll be in trouble. I called Booking.com and they pointed out to me the fine prints on the hotel's condition. Perhaps some of us have been hoodwinked that this hotel booking portal works on all their listed hotels. This is the first time I came across a situation like this. Now I will be using hotel loyalty memberships more for my bookings in the event that my hotels are available in destinations I visit.

All the facilities of a tropical seaside resort hotel within their own complex of a marina, golf and a business hotel nearby. Access to the city and nearby shops is convenient.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Need renovation a bit too expensive !!
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

Facility of hotel should be renew, towel at pool and in the room where very destroyed. Breakfast was not good, no good coffee or juices. Dinner pretty expensive. Sunbeds were dirty. Beach is very small and you cant swim in sea so you really need only to use pools.

Resort is very big but should be renew, rooms are really big so I really enjoy it. Sea view room is not frontal view but side one. There are many pools which is really great , many attractions for children, there were shops there but not all with everything you need. Great for families !

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Beautiful hotel
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

There were a couple of really drunk guests and staff didn't really do anything to reassure the rest of us guests who had kids with us. The staff could have handled it better by guiding these really drunk guests to their rooms so that the rest of us didn't have to hang back and worry about getting near the lifts. We actually had to ask the staff how we were supposed to get past the rowdy bunch. However, staff at the hotel were extremely friendly.

Beautiful views and friendly staff. As soon as you wake up, you can go to your balcony, sit there and watch the waves.

Low quality and high price.
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

This is maximum a 4 star hotel and not 5 as shown on booking.com. Booking.com to correct it, otherwise it is misleading. We decided for this hotel based on 5 star and paid 5 star but got quality somewhat between 3-4 star. This hotel needs a refurbishment. Carpet and sofa in the room Not clean. Breakfast quality low. Tables dirty. Plates and cups very low quality. Very small beach, which can not be used due to risk of jelly fish attack.

Only pool. The harbour location is very nice. Bed comfortebilty was ok.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Lovely but Club Lounge not value for $
    • Magellan Executive Suite with Club Lounge Access

The Magellan club lounge! We paid for the "Exclusive privileges" but were very disappointed. On our very first night we found the staff were very disorganised. It took ages to get a drink and the canapes weren't even ready. They appeared at 6:30. We have b en to club lounges before and they are a place of comfort to relax in. Not here... We felt rushed and there were children and babies everywhere. This is NOT a true club lounge! Also,upon check in we were told the room that we had paid for was not available until the next day??? The staff member told us that we hadn't paid.... It took a long time after a long trip so it definetely not a pleasant start. Somehow, whilst we were waiting with a coffee that they charged us for, our room WAS available! Very unprofessional!

The Olympic swimming pool was fantastic!! A staff member called San! A true asset to the resort as a lot of other staff were slow and disorganised .

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Good location and facilities but improvements needed forcleanliness and maintenance
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

The maintenance of facilities is not good. Two out of three sockets are not working,air conditioning if one room is good but weak for the other. The main problem is the cleanliness. The bed sheet was stained when we checked in, get changed after repeated reminders. Room and toilet conditions only marginally improved after daily make up. A cleaning cloth was left beside our bed.

Convenient location. Good design of facilities, especially the swimming pool. Nice food choice and outlets across the whole Sutera Resort

Nice pools and activities for kids.
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

The suite room is big included kitchenette and seating area with 2 daybeds. Nice pools and activities for kids. Beautiful sunset at Al Fresco Restaurant. We all enjoy our stay at Magellan Sutera.

Fantastic relaxing vacation!
    • Magellan Club King Room with Sea View and Club Lounge Access

The hotel told us to take a taxi from the airport but Uber is much easier (and 1/3 the price!). The dive shop was terrible and not very helpful. They actually recommended other dive shops instead to avoid having to work which was a bit strange. They were also much more expensive then the other dive shops.

I highly recommend the club lounge which includes breakfast, beautiful room, and exclusive happy hour and patio to watch the sunset. The hotel is beautiful and well kept, and has entertainment in the evening (you can also visit the Pacific Sutera which is next door). The staff are amazing!

View is good, location is good, relax feeling of lobby.
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

When checking in, they ask us to wait till 2pm. Of course, they can do that. But I don't think it is necessary. In addition, my nationality is Taiwan. Don't change that for me!!! It is rude! We order one cocktail and get another one, twice!!!

View is good, location is good, relax feeling of lobby. Polite!

Beautiful views
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

There is room for improvement. Could be cleaner for example at the breakfast buffet. At the coffee or juice/water despenser some in between wipe would be great. Rooms sometimes were made up after 17.00 and then no cleaning of garbage. Only one elevator was working for the whole hotel. In the 4 days we stayed nothing happened to repair. Everyone is quite relaxed which is good but the hotel is not cheap so somebody might have a closer look on these things.

The whole complex is well designed. Great for relaxing stay, Jetty for island hopping close, nice pools, happy hour, sun down views just great. Staff was very nice, rooms big and nice views from the balcony. Great choice at the breakfast buffet. Families with small children love that place but it is also good with older or no children. Taxis could be easily booked over hotel for fixed prices. This worked very well.

This resort has two hotels.
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

We had to ask three times before we get any information about whether and when the extra bed will be delivered. Although our could have better view since we paid for the Sea view. I thought it doesn't worth it to pay extra because it was rather a Garden view.

This resort has two hotels. The one in Pacific has a boat point, and it was very convinient. You can pay by Visa or Master card at the Sea Quest where you buy boat tickets. They can exchange the memory But the Union Pay cannot be used.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Enjoyable stay at Magellan.
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

Coffee at breakfast was not good. Maybe upgrade coffee machine. Price of food is a little bit expensive.

The bed was very comfortable. Layout of the room was nice, could watch TV from bathtub. Breakfast was okay. Room service order arrived in a timely manner. Housekeeping called to check if I needed anything since I always had the DND sign on for the whole of my stay.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Lots of potential
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

We were terribly disappointed with the service at the hotel's general restaurants. While there were many staff they were mainly day dreaming rather than serving. Coffee was also really bad, so bad that we decided to buy local coffee bags to bring to breakfast. I am not sure why there is a fascination with coffee machines - especially when the coffee beans are really cheap in Malaysia. On our last night we dined at the Italian fine dining. Spent MYR288 per person - the food was so terrible and the accompanying wine is so bad. Deserts were also sub standard. Service was however good.

Liked the property - such a grand resort that had all the facilities you could want including a. cinema, bowling alley, a hugh resort pool, an Olympic size pool and gym. The hotel is slightly dated and most probably need some TLC.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

FABULOUS FAMILY RESORT
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

Expensive boat ride to beaches at nearby islands where only ocean swimming is available.

Location-very cheap cab ride into town. Facilities- pool and Marina Club pool were fantastic. Breakfast- lots of local and International variety. Staff- always smiling, helpful, and friendly. Fresco restaurant- good food. Rooms- very comfortable- beds great. Lots of entertainment.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

Average resort hotel - Great grand entrance however our room was disappointing.
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

We flew into KK in the evening and arrived at the hotel at 8:30pm. Our room wasn't ready and so they had to give us another room which wasn't the one we booked - the alternative was to wait another two hours till the room was ready (our 8 month old was needing sleep so waiting wasn't an option). The bathroom in our room was tired and in need of renovations. There was mold in all the corners. The bedroom itself was comfortable however not 5* standard. Not sure about the other rooms, however ours definitely needed a renovation or make-over. For the 5 nights we were there, we had to request "Housekeeping" at the front desk twice because for some reason they had missed our room. If this was a 3-4* rated place, my rating would have been higher, however the hotel fell short of my expectation for a 5* rated hotel.

The breakfast was amazing - Great variety and delicious. The location is close to town for lunch/ dinner. They also have an onsite jetty which is really convenient to check out other islands if you didn't want to take a boat from Jesselton.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Great stay!
    • Magellan Club King Room with Sea View and Club Lounge Access

On one of the days our bed was made up but they didn't check the bathroom and we were about to run out of toilet paper :(

Great room with a day bed overlooking the pool. It was very handy having a jetty so close to the hotel - while it cost a little more it was so convenient. We were also given tickets to the NYE party which was so much fun!

good facilities, but customer service skills is lacking!
    • Magellan Club King Room with Sea View and Club Lounge Access

The wait staffs across all the restaurants and bars could do with improvement in their customer service skills. Key gap is in their ability to take orders, without having to pass me from one person to the next, to finally reach the 3rd person to take a simple sandwich or fries order. This experience was consistent throughout my 5 days here. Also perhaps a smile would help and carry them a little further with their customer service skills. It would appear this is lacking, with the exception of 2 staffs.

facilitates were great for families.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

Service need to buck up
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

The staffs are not competent. They were not consistent in their service. They didnt offer us the welcome drink and we had to ask for it after we saw them ushering other guests to the lobby for a drink. We booked two rooms. One of the rooms was not ready at 2 pm. They also forgot the additional bed we requested for each room. The aircond was not working as efficiently.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

It is at a very good location - very near to the city and...
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

It would have been better if we can buggy ride within the hotel compound to say the golf club house or the marina instead of waiting for the bus.

It is at a very good location - very near to the city and also airport is just 10 minutes away.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

Great location with excellent kids' friendly facility.
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

We loved the pools and the little beach area. The breakfast spread is excellent - plenty to choose from. Also great location - nice resort feeling and yet so close to the city centre. Very convenient.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

Overall, good view and stay. But service could move up a few notches.
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

There was a front counter staff who didnt smile while checking us in and it was difficult to understand her when she spoke :( Initially, they gave the wrong room type than what was earlier requested. The hotel had also deducted for full payment for the duration of the stay one day before we arrived. Not sure this is normal as the number of times I used booking.com, I normally pay in full at the end of the stay. Of cos, they would take an upfront booking deposit at the start of stay. This gives me the option to pay in cash or card if I wanted to. Not so at this hotel. More so, they also wanted to take a deposit when I checked in??

Our room was facing the pool side which the kids enjoyed.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Relaxed vibe. Terrific customer service.
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

Loved the relaxed vibe. We were out sightseeing every day, but the staff made sure we had breakfast boxes for early starts. They also went out of their way to follow up to contact tour providers so we could confirm details. The Happy Hour at Tarik's Lobby Lounge was great value, good food and really relaxing after a long day of sightseeing. Highly recommend a stay here.

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

Improvement and good things at Sutera habour
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

More local variety breakfast to accomwndate Malaysia taste There are medecient smell in rooms, room power point need to be checked Need to have less charges for Malaysia on traveling to island hopping from foreigners.

Staff are friendly and helpful, at front counter, pool site etc Beach views sun set are lovely

• Reviewed: 24 November 2016

Nice resort with awesome sunset view
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

Worth the price. Nice ambiance and the sunset view is really awesome. Love the laksa lemak from Al Fresco. Overall we really enjoyed and feel relaxed during our stay at Magellan Sutera

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

Plenty room to move
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

Peppermint tea being available at meal times, particularly at breakfast. More shuttle services to KK

Returning for the forth time. Concierge staff and security staff very helpful when enquiringly about a planned visit to KB

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

calm, quiet and very nice place
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

the life guard are a bit rude. when I was around the pool, I heard the life guard had said a bad word to the foreigner children.

very nice hotel and friendly staff

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

What a great spot~ ,great view, cozy hotel
    • Magellan Club King Room with Sea View and Club Lounge Access

I hope people should follow the dress code ,when they get in swimming pool ! Instead of average sport outfit even pants and jacket , OMG....

What a great spot~ ,great view, cozy hotel

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

We just needed a bed to rest in while we waited for our return flight to UK. It did the job.
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

No hot water for the whole time we were there. Breakfast buffet was like school dinners. A really plush image but it isn't borne out in the quality of the experience.

Room service dinner was timely and well cooked. Upgrade to a suite was welcome.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Good
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

Even thought wokers were so kindly, service was too slow ... even we couldn't check in on time so we had to wait for about an hour

It is very closed to the downtown it takes just 10minutes by taxi and there are different kinds of pools i could enjoy using the all pools :) Workers were always smile and kindly

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

Good hotel but aged chaotic
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

We weren't told that building works were taking place around the pool so it was noisey and took up space of some of the sun beds, which meant there weren't enough sun beds for us. There is no gym in the building, you have to go to the sister hotel. The large swimming pool was closed throughout our stay.

Room was good size, with an excellent bathroom.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Very good resort but needs some improvement
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

The whole place was nice but the beach was a little dirty. The resort staff should clean it once in a while to avoid litter in the beach. Also, we availed the north borneo train ride. The riding the train experience was fantastic but the stops where we went to was not that good. Yes it represents the culture of the people living in kota kinabalu however this is very typical and not worth the money you paid for. The trip was very expensive for its price. Nothing much to see. Just the slums and the market. Also, there was no guide to assist us where to go during each stop. We got lost! It ate up our time and our departure was delayed too. Food in the train is ok, ambiance is good. Toilet not that clean. Main problem are the places we visited. Kk should improve this to attract more tourists. There wasnt even a decent souvenir shop to go to on each stop. Food in the hotel is ok. We found the taste of pizza in Al Fresco Restaurant blant, lacking of flavor. Same with the breakfast. Its ok but not highly recommended. I personally didnt like the food served at breakfast time. Towels are old and should be changed. I wasnt expecting it to be the way it is thinking it is a 5 star hotel.

The staff are very welcoming to guests and are very approachable. Near to other must visit spots in Kota Kinabalu.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Rooms were really big and clean and comfortable.
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

The 'beach' was really tiny.

Rooms were really big and clean and comfortable. Staff courteous and helpful. Breakfast did not have much variety but was fresh and clean.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Nice hotel but can be better
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

The shuttle bus is not frequent. So taxi is the only choice.

There is few resort-like hotel in KK city centre, so this one is kinda of the only choice if you want close location to food meanwhile like to feel the sea and sunshine. Overall quite nice.

• Deluxe King Room with Sea View

Overcrowded breakfast On going works around pool area Lifts out of order though out our stay Overcrowded lunch restaurant with inattentive staff No staff serving around the pool General cleanliness in charge min areas Hotel needs refurbishment as looking tired in many areas

a place that you would want to comeback.
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

The breakfast could have been better and more options.

The part where you can seat, chill, relax and watch the sun the sea the stars the moon with the soft wind blowing.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Large spacious grounds.
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

The air-conditioner wasn't really that cold, and hot(test) water in shower was just warm! The whole resort seems to be showing its age!

Large spacious grounds. Conveniently located in KK; but KK is rather small so everywhere is relatively quite easily reached

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

Wonderful living experience in Magellan sutera resort.
    • Deluxe King Room with Sea View

The front desk staff's English is not that good.

They upgraded my sea view room to club room(149 m2). The room is huge, and there is even a piano in the living room. So that I can listen to my daughter playing with it. The staff there are friendly. The bar in the lobby is cheap and the band who sings there are wonderful. A great trip!

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

location,pool large ,

the sing two times was stuck, next day the bath water dont go throu🛀🏻 in the middle of the night there was a big cocoroch in the bath room 😬😬

location,pool large , breakfast nice buffet

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

Quite nice hotel for a short stay, nice and spacious rooms...
    • Magellan Club King Room with Sea View and Club Lounge Access

Several things were quite disappointing. Sea around is rather dirty even at the islands of Tunku Abdul Rahman Park and the hotel beach is very small. Also, the hotel charged full price for my initial booking with a free cancellation allowed which I cancelled within free of charge period and though the management promised to return all money to my account three weeks ago I have not yet received money back so far - this is extremely disappointing.

Quite nice hotel for a short stay, nice and spacious rooms with good service especially at Magellan club.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

Great...
    • Deluxe King Room with Garden View

Banging of the room doors as people entered and exited their rooms. Made very loud bang noise...

Beautiful hotel, location, sunset ... overall great ... Great view from rooms also...

Browse The Magellan Sutera traveller photo gallery