Reviews of A Small Hotel 4 stars

Witte de Withstraat 94, 3012 BT Rotterdam, Netherlands

#29 of 58 hotels in Rotterdam

• Coco Two

It took me 20 min just to get inside. The person who replies the phone who is actually on another country (Germany) was sarcastic and did not explain correctly how to work the system. He was not polite and not helpful at all.

It's a humanless hotel and the instruction to get in is too poir. Also system does not work properly.

• Zen One

Communication with the "distant reception" Apparently my emails requesting early check in before arrival never arrived, however I did receive the details about check in procedure 2 days before transit. Another email with the QR code necessary to operate the doors to get access didn't arrive. Our calls on arrival were not initially answered on the 24hrs contact number. We were told that we couldn't get access for another 3 hours. Repeated texts and calls about the fact we had no QR code, were eventually answered at 3.30 after more repeated calls to ask for the code. Eventually we were texted a copy of a temporary code. Another would be mailed to us the next day.... that didn't happen. Anyway, the cause was that apparently none of our emails were received despite me administrating my emails to other people with no problem. Requests by text were not reacted to either. Speed of response and availability of someone to answer the phone is necessary, as is a little training so I didn't feel like it was I that was in the wrong. Things were resolved eventually, but with an enormous amount of "push".

The location, close to bars, restaurants and museums.

• Zen One

Although the location was great and the room met our expectations, we didn't realize how much of the street noise we'd hear in the room. The hotel is located on a very "hip street." It was also quite noisy due to the Dutch Cup Final taking place; with Rotterdam's win over Alkmaar, the City really celebrated!

The location was within a twelve-minute walk from the train station and near the major museums. A number of trams are also within walking distance to take you further afield.

• Coco One

Inkompetent service. Did book at booking.com, received no access code to the hotel at all. 20 calls, e-mails, reception not existent as written. After wrong comments and facts -Very disrespectful comment: "Go somewhere else". Not recommendable for serious people.

Can`t remember anything positive!

The location is good.

I faced some problems with the hotel personnel even before journey began. In spite the fact that the full price was covered beforehand the administration contacted booking.com with the request to cancel the reservation for the reason of the non-payment. They did it 2 days before my arrival! So the last day before my journey I had to spend talking with the booking call center. The hotel administration doesn't respond to any emails and rarely pick phone calls. So be prepared that you will be on your own in the new city. At the first of our arrival we had a problem with a window that we couldn't close. This problem was solved only one day before we were laving although the administrator promised us to do it fast. The room itself wasn't tidy and the furniture inside was pretty used. From my perspective furniture is need to be renewed, photos represented on the web-site are definitely not new. Moreover the room wasn't clean enough. I wouldn't recommend to stay at this hotel.

• Zen Two

Small tv No power socket/extension cable for desk/table Poor bathroom lighting Outdated iPhone connector on music station One side bed lighting only No hairdryer or tissues in bathroom Fridge not cooling well 24/7 telephone service not always available

Spacious room and bathroom Coffee/Tea maker Couch Location next to restaurants, nightlife and streetcar

• Coco One

Ill start with, if you like boutique hotels, i think this was ok for that. But I prefer being able to contact someone and get an answer. Although I received an email telling me to reply with my contact information so I can get instructions for how to get in, I received no such thing. Which meant that when we got there, we waited in the cold for 30 minutes trying to call the number, with no answer. When we finally got in, there was no sugar, one coffee capsule, and no tea. We requested refills. We didn't even receive an answer. Also the room is very cold, which for us, in February, was uncomfortable. Took nearly 6 hours for the room to get warm, with all heaters on.

The bed was very comfortable, the location was quite amazing, and the hamburger place right next door is delicious.

• Tex Two

not well cleaned (a little bit dirty the table with coffee machine). The shower is open, so water go all around on the floor of the bathroom (and it will be all wet after shower). The coffee machine and dock station did not work!!!

spacious, bright, position

• Tex Two

Took a while to figure out check in procedure as they had recently updated to QR codes, but had also mistakenly sent me instructions to former check in procedure. A bit confusing, but I called the listed phone number and spoke with a very friendly guy who explained everything.

Very central location, huge room, very comfortable bed. Complimentary drinks included in the price which was really nice.

• Tex One

-The bathroom design: after using the handwash basin, there is water all over in the bathroom. -Same goes for the bathtub, a shower curtain or so would be practical.

+Original fancy design. +Amazing bed. +Spacious. +Privacy. +Easy and smooth check in. +Bluetooth sound system. +Central location.

• Coco One

wifi wasn't a very strong signal. and those stairs to the top floor ( we knew at the time of booking but didn't appreciate the significance )

immediate response when we rang for help with the door code

• Zen One

We arrived a bit earlier to the property and tried to check in at 2pm but we could not and we did not have any information about it. (Check-in was only from 3pm on.) We tried to call the number that we found on booking.com but nobody answered. Then we found information on booking.com that the check-in could be done next door but there we did not find any sign of the hotel. So we went for a lunch. We tried again after 3pm and then our call was answered. We received the instructions and we had no more troubles. Unfortunatley the AC did not work in the room after the first night and opening the windows was an option only in the morning, after the party was over down on the street. We expected very comfortable bed based on the reviews but finally we did not like it. Maybe it's just question of taste but we found it too soft and the pillows were too hard (flat).

The room looked exactly as on the pictures: nice and cosy. The location of the hotel is also great, right in the center. Stuff is also very kind.

I have stayed at A Small Hotel several times over the last few years since working and now living in the Netherlands. I have always been very happy with my experience. This time was not so good. I had booked two rooms, however only received information on accessing one of the two rooms. I responded to ask for the information and didn't get it until calling and chasing - and the person I spoke to was quite off hand, didn't have a record of the second room booking and the tone verged on rude. My booking was clearly for 2 rooms. In a hotel with no reception, I needed information to get access on a Sunday night. The trip was for work related activity. I therefore need a receipt. I have emailed and asked (it used to automatically be sent). So far no response. I understand Small Hotel are opening another hotel. I appreciate that may be stressful but please, pay attention to your existing customers whilst you're scaling up..... Because we may go elsewhere in future otherwise....

• Zen Two

The hotel is not suitable for business trips. Difficulties in the contact with the service. Bathroom flooded with water and assure from the hotel that so should be. Obtaining an invoice seems to be a miracle (failed after a month of stay)

Spacious room

• Zen Two

Mosquitoes .. we like the windows open but sadly the mosquitoes arrived. Maybe keep the windows closed. There were email instructions to enter and find keys but no text, as was promised. No problems however, the contact no. is on the front door.

Lovely coco beds. Toiletries very useful for travellers with just an overnight bag . Fridge with welcome pack (we hope) a safe and large airy bright room. Zen 2. Second floor . Overlooking courtyard. Tranquil room and lively street (Witte) for everything else. Super ensuite. VERY steep narrow staircase so may not be suitable for elderly or immobile .

• Coco One

Overbooked, no reception, debited prearrival although mentioned on website that you pay when you arrive, water reselling out of the shower + bad smell in the bathroom, locked out without being advised that the code had changed

• Coco Two

No toiletpaper. Terrible smell from the toilet. Not very clean, like if it was not used for a long time. The door was difficult to open with the card. There was only one window and it could open a little bit. It was warm outside so it was really muggy inside the room.

Location was super !

• Zen Two

The entry system was horrendous. There is no-one there. With my mobile out of battery we had huge difficulty getting in on two separate occasions. The entry card did not work the following morning and I was stuck for 30 mins. The stairs were very steep and the shower floods, and they complain that people use clean towels when it is the only way to use the bathroom safetly after a shower.

The room, location and price were OK, but I would not go there again.

• Zen Two

the shower has a bit of issues draining

the room is very spacious, 2 super comfortable arm chairs to chill on. Mattress was a real cuddle, seemed to sleep in a cloud. Shower was really big. Position is perfect, you are just at the beginning of Witte de Withstraat, place full of restaurants and bar

• Zen Two

Communication with the hotel staff was slow and unprofessional. We asked few simple questions over email; the responses were getting back to us days later. When the trip approached, we wanted to order breakfast; the staff told us to order it via their website. We tried for a few days, but the site was under construction (then why ask us to order it on the website....). Then when we asked to order via email, the staff told us that the breakfast agency is on vacation for the next 2 weeks - so, no breakfast.... The description of the hotel says there is a luggage storage. The day before we were leaving, we called the host to ask where we can leave our luggage for couple of hours before our flight. He told us that the hotel was overbooked and he could not offer us any space and he advised us to leave it in a locker at the train station...

We stayed at Zen Two. The room was very nice - big, with a nice oriental design. We booked at the back, as the hotel is situated on the busiest streets in the city and at night it gets very noisy, especially Fri-Sat. The location cannot be better - the liveliest streets in R-dam, with all the bars and restaurants, full of life and energy.

• Coco Two

The only downside is the lack of elevators. Make sure you are able to carry your luggage up a steep stairway before booking.

Great location and the room is huge! The self check in procedure was easy. The thick windows kept the sound from the street out. The room was clean, clear, spacious. Everything worked out well.

• Tex Two

We booked a particular room and were moved without notification which was annoying (we wanted the terrace that room had). As there is no reception I contacted the hotel by email - they apologised but they really should have let us know. Apparently reason was that someone with mobility problems needed the first room floor so they moved us to the third floor (and it is very steep!) - but how did they know that stairs were not a problem for us? In fairness they offered us a bottle of wine in compensation. Another problem was we only had one key card which was an inconvenience for two people - despite asking several times we didn't get another. Decor is a little tired (not as 'boutique' as it presents itself. While having drinks and snacks provided is great, these were not consistently replenished over the 3 days we spent there. Also details like only one coffee cup, one glass.

Location was great - right in the middle of buzzy street with bars and restaurants. Our room was at the back so it was quiet - if that's important make sure you ask for that. Large room and bathroom so plenty of space. Sofa to relax. Beer and wine provided.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

I dind not like AT ALL the quality of the shower. The shower has no pressure, only a thin line of water... In the children's room, the water hits the side of the tub, so you have to shower with you hands... a bucket of water would be the same... I asked the landlord about it, he said it was normal.

The appartment is probably the best in town.

• Zen Two

The communication before our arrival was a bit difficult, as the number on the website was wrong and then no one was answering the phone. But in the end, everything was fine and we were informed about the electronic concierge.

We loved the spacious room and the comfy bed. The DVDs also allowed us to have a cinema night in the room, which was super.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

• Zen Two

Beware the stairs are steep

For me very quiet and very comfortable I was in Zen Two This was all the more surprising as the area is very vibrant and reminded me in Covent Garden of London but there was no noise as I am a light sleeper. The coco bed was tremendous . Plenty of restaurants and bars and there is a co-op in the street.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

• Zen One

The lack of shower curtain was weird but not a deal breaker. If you aren't good with stairs be advised this isn't the place for you - the stairs are steep and plentiful.

The bed is incredible! Location couldn't have been better - room has space, lovely big bath, mini bar daily top up is a great bonus!

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Tex Two

Location was great, the room was spacious and stylishly equipped with sofa and music system, as well as coffee machine and mini bar. The terrace was nice as well.

• Reviewed: 1 July 2016

• Tex One

All-tough this is a very nice street the location of the "hotel' is right next to a bar with suspicious drunk characters hanging around. At night you can hear loud footsteps and people yelling. The apartment is ok if you're not fuzzy about cleanliness- There is black rim around the bathtub, a TV control is melted, and horrendous urine door when you first step inside the building.

Nice vivbrant street except for the actual building, nice bed.

• Zen One

Not exactly as promised in description, not clean

Location, large, comfortable

• Zen Two

No hot water in shower! But weather was so hot it was OK

Did not take breakfast

De tv en afstandsbediening

De kamer

Electronic entry required patience

Convenient location, Large bright room, comfortable bed.

• Tex One

Bathroom had a leak which ended up leaking through into the restaurant below, disturbing our stay with phone calls.

• Zen Two

The steep stairs and there was no cable. Wifi was extremely bad too

It's a big room

Music big room

• Coco One

A shower would be easier to enter than the big bath tub.

It was a big room at an ideal location at a great price

• Tex Two

The property was in a very good location and exactly wat we wanted

• Coco One

Promised complimentary items that weren't left as promised

Nice enough room, needs a bit of TLC

Confusing checkin

Douche in bad.

De centrale ligging

• Coco One

No breakfast available, room not very clean.

Location, room size.

Steep stairs to rooms

Comfy bed great location

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

• Coco Two

We had a comfortable stay, quiet room close to Museum'a restaurants

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Wi-fi is low

Free bar, free coffee Nespresso

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Zen One

The bed was really comfortable and location was great.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

Not easy upstairs

Location. Cleanless. Price

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

• Zen One

Self Check in in erg goed

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

luxurious rooms, fantastic beds, very friendly staff

• Reviewed: 10 May 2016

The guide said, book breakfast in room before, prior 16.30. I called at 16.00 and was told it was to late and got recommend the supermarket. Bathroom cleaning could have been better.

The room was very well designed in look and comfort of use. Great quality DVD player, bed, coffee machine. Fridge and snacks free of charge, location excellent and very private personal feeling in the hotel.

• Reviewed: 9 May 2016

Perfect location, very close to the Museumpark. Our room (Coco 2) was very comfortable, light, clean, stylish and silent. Every morning we have heard birds singing. The weather was cold but we were able to set the comfortable temperature on a heater. Herman is a hospitable host. It was a great pleasure to talk with him. I have never met so generous bar anywhere. Free X-tra bar has been supplied with bear, wine, chips.

• Reviewed: 20 March 2016

The stairs are narrow and steep.if you carry suit case is very convenient as not elevator.

The room is cleaning, big and quite, and there are some snacks

• Reviewed: 4 February 2016

Reception less. I haven't meet anybody. Only contacts via mail and telephone. I felt anybody could enter the hotel and meet non-guests on the stairs. First time I didn't feel much safe in a hotel.

The room itself is ok.

• Reviewed: 2 January 2016

Dust everywhere, sofa dirty, bathroom too dark ( poor light), shower floading floor....

Good Position, bigsize room, terace on the first floor, open bar

• Reviewed: 31 December 2015

There was no reception, we had to call a number to receive access codes. It took a while before they answered tho. Facilities were fine.

Excellent location!

• Reviewed: 11 October 2015

Although bed and pillows were natural and organic they were uncomfortable to my taste. location is a bit noisy at night.

Great central location. museums restaurants bars and shops are all in a walking distance. room is spacious clean and has many amenities. met the owner who was extremely nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2015

I loved the efficiency of the digital concierge; the size of the room; the peaceful atmosphere amidst a busy neighbourhood; the way much thought had been put into making the room just what one wants (beer and snacks and good coffee included in the price, fluffy robes, good stereo).

• Reviewed: 6 June 2015

Staff-less hotel. Very well managed. Breakfast is on request with 12+ notice and very expensive. Plenty of bars and cafes in the area though

comfortable and good quality.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2015

The room smells of bbq due to street restaurants. The safe in the room didnt work. Coming back from work one of the days there, the door to the room was locked open!!!! Didn't manage to get the person in charge- was not available by phone, and there was no one in the office next door. We were lucky nothing was stolen, and the management answer was that they apologize and thats the end of the story, complaining my mail to him was not polite(???) Its a shame since i stayed there before and came back, but it has deteriorated greatly, and i am not going to come there again or recommend it

• Reviewed: 15 May 2016

Don't bring a heavy suitcase: steep stairs.

Room feels like living room at home.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2016

In-hotel services.

Spacy.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2015

excellent location and communication. would stay again

• Reviewed: 1 September 2015

Poor finish and could be cleaner. Room was dusty and we both got bitten quite badly

Location and value for money

• Reviewed: 27 August 2015

Unique concept

• Reviewed: 26 August 2015

Great location! Great service from Herman. Windows seal out any street noise. I'll be back!

• Reviewed: 9 August 2015

Every thing

• Reviewed: 27 July 2015

Great location with a very comfortable stay. I would definitely return to the same hotel again.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2015

Spacious clean comfortable flat.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2015

location Bed Space

There are also 19 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse A Small Hotel traveller photo gallery