Reviews of Boutique Hotel Carlton Ambassador 4 stars

Sophialaan 2, The Hague City Centre, 2514 JP The Hague, Netherlands

#9 of 39 hotels in The Hague

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I had booked a de lux room and asked for a balcony but got a small -I would have said standard room -with no balcony. Breakfast scrambled egg/bacon/beans were cold and poor choice -not worth £15.

Good Location excellent. Staff very friendly. Hotel comfortable and good facilities.

• Economy Double Room

Pretty pricey, although I did stay here during King's Day!

Wonderful location, great staff, good breakfast, luxerious atmosphere, comfortable rooms and beds! Also opportunity to rent biks for 16 Euros a day, which was very convienent.

Pillows were too soft.

Authentic, clean, best value for your money in The Hague centre. We stayed in a classic room which had a separate toilet and a separate bathroom including a shower and a bath not a two in one. The staff was helpful and kind. From check-in, to breakfast, to check-out, to after check-out lounging and even when I popped in later in the day for the restroom and collecting out car, everything was welcoming and nice. Breakfast and parking are reasonable priced. The Carlton Ambassador is an example for how classic hotels should be. Also breakfast was nice and fresh! Thank you for a memorable stay.

Pillows were too soft

• Economy Double Room

We stayed here for two nights while in The Hague for the Half Marathon. The Hotel was perfect but the staff were fantastic. Nothing was a problem. The first morning we woke up, there was a knock on the door to see if we needed any extra pillow cases/coffee/milk. This was very welcomed as we are big coffee drinkers. To top it off there was a Nesspresso machine in our room...just perfect👌

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was a bit chaotic, not a lot of tables for a lot of guests we had to wait and ended up having breakfast using a reading table (very low) and 2 airmchairs, not so practical for breakfast. That's the only down side, the rest was great.

Great staff, the room was above expectation and the bed very comfortable. Its close enough to the center without being in the center so without the inconvenience of the noise !

• Economy Double Room

The room was clean except for the bathtub. The music in the elevator / breakfast area was pleasant but due to a technical issue constantly interrupted.

I would place the hotel in the categories "traditional" and "old fashioned", which is not meant to be negative! Location-wise absolutely fantastic - you walk straight into the city or drive/walk easily towards Scheveningen.

• Economy Double Room

Actually nothing. The only category in which I could not give full points is value for money, but that is simply due to the fact that this is not a cheap place to stay for a longer period.

I booked the hotel for a long weekend to visit the city and meet friends. The hotel is a perfect base for single travellers and couples, with beautiful rooms and incredibly friendly, competent, and welcoming staff. I will definitely be back.

• Economy Double Room

I asked for a twin bed, and while my request was accommodated, the bed was a bit uncomfortable to share for two people as it was just two separate beds pushed together. I ended up sliding in between the matresses :)

The room was spacious, a bit dated but comfortable. With bathroom was a bit larger, but its a standard size.

• Economy Double Room

Parking on site very limited, so needed to park in garage 6-7 minute walk from the hotel.

Very nice atmosphere and beautiful location. Very friendly staff.

• Luxury Double Room

The phone in the room is a cheap, user unfriendly piece of equipment

All team members were extremely hospitable, knowledgable and helpful. Breakfast excellent, room #118 well appointed

• Luxury Double Room

Shower and bath missed loose tube, which in a bath is ridiculous. How can you take of the soap if you have to run from the bath to the shower, because in the bath there is no shower

The location is really nice. Quiet and close to city centre and tram to Scheveningen. The open doors to the small balcony give the room a lot of extra .

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The window of our room had no view, just a wall, which was disappointing for a superior room. When we arrived we found the receptionist rather indifferent - maybe she was having a bad day. To be fair, other members of staff were friendly enough. At breakfast on our first morning there weren't enough seats as the hotel was full, and there was complete chaos in the buffet breakfast area which is quite poorly set out. We were told we could sit outside but it was still early and rather chilly, and quite a distance to carry things back and forward. We did eventually find a free table indoors and set our cups down on it while we went to get cereal. While our backs were turned another guest removed our cups and sat down at the table himself. That's just to indicate how crowded it was, that people were competing for seats. I reported this to reception and we received an apology and a small tin of stroopwaffels. Fortunately there were enough tables on subsequent mornings so maybe this level of busy-ness was a one-off.

One of the best locations in The Hague, and a very attractive building. The room was comfortable and clean, and the bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've slept in. There are good public areas for people to have drinks and meet friends and there's also a restaurant, although we didn't eat there so I can't comment on the menu.

• Economy Double Room

Our room had a connecting room... but we could hear everything in the other room, loud and clear, it didn't give a great sense of privacy. I would have asked for another room if I were to stay another night. The breakfast buffet was very good, but a bit too basic for my taste.

Check-in was great, fast and accomodating. Room was nice, we had dinner in the restaurant which was very nice and so was the food and the service. The breakfast buffet was very good, but a bit too basic for my taste.

• Economy Double Room

Breakfast can be better. Parking is a bit difficult, they only have a few parking places.

The room design is very beautiful. Love it! And the bathroom is very clean. It's in a quiet place.

• Economy Double Room

some lake in facility .. last day saw my room door was open when I was back to hotel , which is a huge mistake either done by housekeeping staff or someone could open. That's dangerous.

Since I am vegetarian .. for all 4 days fruits and cornflakes were only option. they should have some more options for veg .. as well some Indian food when they know Indians are their guests too.

• Economy Double Room

Lovely hotel in a great location. We have stayed a few times over the past 15 years and always enjoy our stays. Attractive rooms with extremely comfortable beds.

• Residence Double Room

The breakfast was a joke. No scrambled eggs, no hot chocolate, coffee is only available via a small number of machines. No sausages, no yoghurt, very few fruits. Very limited variety of foods, we were not satisfied with that. Very few tables, we had trouble finding a nice one for us. The lady at the reception gave us incorrect information about the serving times. Still hungry after the breakfast. On-site parking was not available. I called the room service at 01:30 am to order a midnight snack for us, the lady at the phone was confused and said the kitchen was closed, even though they offer 24/7 meals there which I pointed out to her. My call got forwarded to another staff member who happily accepted our order. There are some tiles on the floor and the wall which look like someone sealed the chimney/opening of a fireplace. A bit disappointed to see this, a fireplace would have been nice. Apparently these are only available in the most luxurious rooms. Apparently the minibar was included in the booking; or so I was told after checking out (I couldn't find a list of prices for the beverages & snacks from the minibar; also very limited variety there). Naturally we did not use the minibar that much as we expected that it was not included in our booking. All in all I was not very satisfied with the stay; single night, so a comfortable bed and good breakfast are the most important things for me. I spent the last few stays in Den Haag at different 5 star hotels, none of which were perfect, but much better than this. Also not that much more expensive, but the difference in service and food is night and day.

I booked a "residence" room to spend the night with my partner. The bed was very comfortable, bathroom was very clean and looked good. Staff was friendly, but not very helpful. I expected a better experience.

• Economy Double Room

One of our (superior) rooms was looking into a wall. Not what one would expect from a Carlton. Windows cannot be open.

A very homey decoration style, arguably a bit shabby but must have been very pretty 15 years ago. Excellent breakfast and staff. Easy parking in a nearby garage (the hotel's own parking was full so we got a voucher to pay the same 19eur per day ticket in the garage).

• Economy Double Room

The breakfast and the restaurant are overpriced. The food at the restaurant is simply not worth the price. The pillows were all very thick, it would be better to have a choice of pillows.

Pleasant environment and reasonably spacious room. Very nice and clean bathroom. Good location close to tram and bus stops.

• Economy Double Room

Hotel has limited on-site parking, and street parking is expensive.

Convenient to city center, friendly staff, great outdoor dining area. Tram and bus just a short walk

• Economy Double Room

Windows could only be very slightly opened. The location of the toilet paper holder was not optimal, no mirror in the room.

Location, employees, room decor

• Economy Double Room

I would describe the room as shabby kitsch. Altough clean, it al felt a bit old and in need of a make over. The bathroom was clean and newer.

very comfortable bed, altough not that wide 1.6m. Quiet rooms/street. Great location.

• Economy Double Room

Everything was really nice and comfortable; the only thing that puzzled us a bit was that although we booked a double room, there was only one pair of slippers, one bath robe, one shower gel ...

The hotel is conveniently located in the center of the city - 5 minutes walking distance. The room was very comfortable, spacious and clean, and the breakfast is amazing in terms of variety and quality.

• Economy Double Room

I had requested a parking space when booking but was still directed to the public parking around the corner because the onsite was full.

Lovely hotel, old building perfectly maintained and with all comfort.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

• Economy Double Room

Very nice leafy location in embassy area at walking distance from bystling streets. Nice terrace outside. Only Minutes away from Panorama Mesdag .

• Economy Double Room

The mini.bar was not well equipped so drinks had to be fetched in the bar.

Staff is nice and friendly as well as trying to accomodate guests' needs as efficiently as possible.

• Economy Double Room

I like tea for breakfast, but the hot water was from a coffee machine so given in cup portions, and I'm not sure it was boiling.

the bed was fantastically comfortable, although, like many Dutch hotels, the room was on the small size. The bathroom was traditionally style and small, but lovely.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

• Economy Double Room

interior decor is looking a bit dated and tired, but everything is very clean, so this is a minor issue.

Very friendly, helpful and cheerful staff. Excellent breakfast buffet with delicious fresh breads.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

• Economy Double Room

- The breakfast was wonderful with a great choice of fresh products and a very high quality. - very nice and helpful staff - great location, at the city centre

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

• Economy Double Room

A hotel of this class should have a fitness room with weights and cardio equipment.

Clean comfortable room. Hotel is opposite the Canadian embassy so very convenient for me. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Excellent breakfast.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

• Economy Double Room

The hotel has an excellent souterrain bar which was unfortunately reserved for a party without prior notification to other customers; personnel seemed preoccupied and overloaded because of this.

Location close to X-Mas market, Garoeda Indonesian restaurant, Noordeinde, center of town. Small parking next to the hotel which needs timely reservation.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

• Economy Double Room

I've booked a room in advance. I've also asked for higher floor if possible. Instead, I got a room on the second floor with a very small window facing staircase of another section of the hotel :-(( Room had no daylight..

Location is good. Facilities quite nice

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

• Economy Double Room

Not much to say as far as improvements go. This is an old, well renovated building, and the rooms can be a bit small and possibly not up to everyone's international travel standards. For that you need to go down one block to the Hilton, but the Carlton has loads more charm (and much more realistic prices).

Very nice, classic hotel in a quiet neighbourhood within easy walking distance of the city centre, shops etc. Excellent service. Rooms are in style with the old character of the building, so don't expect huge rooms. My corner room 312 had windows overlooking the Italian & Canadian embassy as well as the side street.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Economy Double Room

What a breakfast - well worth the expense. Memory foam bed was amazing. Our room (420) was on the top floor with views over the city (bare trees) and one wall fully glazed PLUS a balcony. Sound proofing was top quality - did not hear anyone else. Really well furnished and great bathroom with toiletries.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

• Economy Double Room

No big shower towel. No shower robe. Minibar cools down too often and thus is noisy (specially because in table near bed)

Nice and quiet location. Breakfast buffet and juices extra. Staff very friendly

• Economy Double Room

Read all the glowing comments about the Carlton Ambassador and multiply it by 10! Early check-in by the extremely friendly front desk staff, ambitious large housekeeping staff working around the clock with a permanent smile on their face, and restaurant wait staff insisting on sitting you at a window seat before attending to all your needs -- customer service on steroids! Well appointed rooms, with that mattress you don't want to part with in the morning, in a prestigious hotel in a very quiet neighborhood close to all attractions. Follow on reservation already made for next weekend!

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

• Economy Double Room

I was just not too happy about the breakfast and the service we got there. The stuff kept forgetting us and everything came late

The setting of the room

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

• Economy Double Room

They have an ancient safe system in the rooms. My safe was faulty which meant we had to wait 20 minutes to retrieve my passport on check out. As a consequence of this we were late getting to the airport and I had to pay the taxi driver am extra 10 dollars for waiting. Very frustrating!

Overall excellent. Nice restaurant too.

• Economy Double Room

Our bed was terrible. The matras was too soft and had a V-shape so if you lay on your side, you will roll to the middle of the bed (in the V-point). We arrived to the room after 24:00 and stepped into bed immediately. Too tired to complain at that moment.

Clean, nice location 500m of city center.

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

• Economy Double Room

Very close to the Peace Palace and to the embassies neighbourhood in Den Haag, and yet within walking distance of good restaurants and bars; staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

• Economy Double Room

The room was smaller than expected, but there for sure must be bigger ones in the hotel.

Amazing bed, we slept really well! Classy, calm location. Quiet room. Bathroom decorated Delft porcelain style.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

• Economy Double Room

The scented candles in the reception can cause headaches and allergies , these don't belong in a hotel of this standard.

Very friendly desk and bar staff , excellent location

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

• Economy Double Room

Our room was a "superior double room" but it was still quite cramped...

Very friendly and helpful staff. They didn't have any more baby beds available so they brought one from a near by hotel ! that's what I call going over the top!! Thank you !! Plus, the breakfast is very nice!! Nicely presented and delicious!!

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• Economy Double Room

The check-in time is a bit late (a 14:00 check-in for a one night visit is not a good option). There are no parking facilities in the hotel although it is nice they provide a discount ticket for a parking close by.

Got a free upgrade and the bed was super comfortable. Very friendly stuff.

• Economy Double Room

Very comfortable. Staff Very helpful.

• Economy Double Room

Classical interior design, We all feel like living in the palac

all good

nice breakfast and fancy rooms

It’s a tiny bit fair away from the touristic center, but still a very nice location

Cozy but still luxurious, good value for money!

• Economy Double Room

Love all their things, nothing can be criticised.

Coffee machine in room - difficult to use and coffee was much too strong.

Great location, Helpful staff

• Economy Double Room

Liked the bedroom windows. Appreciated the umbrella and the ride to the airport

• Economy Double Room

Room look tried, need renovate

The lovely room style, girlish.

• Economy Double Room

The room was cold and not cleaned well.

The breakfast was great

Very happy staff

• Economy Double Room

Wonderfull and helpfully staff; perfect location...

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Super friendly and helpful staff, hotel is improving inside and outside, so it will be even better

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Friendly staff. Location.Beautiful room. Nice breakfast. Steps taken to minimise noise from building work.

• Luxury Double Room

great and friendly staff! good room and excellent location.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The breakfast staf was not very interested. And the room was very small!

• Economy Double Room

Very friendly staff, excellent food

• Economy Double Room

Great Hotel with a very attractive price. Very cozy rooms with everything needed.

• Economy Double Room

Lovely place to stay. Beautiful surrounds (possibly because it's surrounded by embassies). Very helpful and welcoming staff.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Cosy room. Breakfast was good, however, lots of things had te be replenished and asked for, croissants, Butter, salmon, coffeenice

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Detachable shower would be nice.

The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was quite large and also very clean.

Comfortable bed

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

the drinks at the bar were really expensive

Very cozy furniture an very comfortable bed. also great location.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

But I didnt like that it doesnt include parking, and my room was really cold in the beginning.

The staff were very friendly!!!

• Economy Double Room

Breakfast was minimal - needed to offer more freshly cooked options. Noise due to refurbishment during the day was awful.

Room was good standard

• Luxury Double Room

The bedroom was tired. Needs updating

Staff

Tv channels are limited

Great food from the green egg and all homemade

• Economy Double Room

Amazing place, huge cozy room with nice decorations, very comfortable bed, excellent bath and shower facilities, will definitely stay again.

• Economy Double Room

The location of the hotel is very good, just in the center of the Hague. Very good restaurants and the dennenweg are on walking distance.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

They didn’t serve eggs for breakfast every morning ☹️

loved the croissants very near Peace Palace. Comfortable and clean

• Economy Double Room

Difficult to take a shower since worse drain at shower booth

Browse Boutique Hotel Carlton Ambassador traveller photo gallery