Reviews of Amsterdam Hostel Annemarie

5.5

5.3

5.2

• Bed in 4-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

There’s no thing to not like to this motel or whatever that is. Hard to say that there are people who clean up the hallways or the rooms. In the area where you eat, the stray cats from neighborhoods are laying down on the tables. The room in which I stayed together with 3 other friends wasn’t cleaned up, there were empty bottles under the beds, the sheets weren’t changed, dust all over the place. You have only one bathroom per floor and it’s so tiny that you’re going to hit your head to the sink or to the wall if you bend just a bit. The POS wasn’t working so I had to go to a shop nearby and get some money from the ATM which changed my money from Euro to the currency from country and then back to Euro. Never that happened to me. I lost 12 euros in that process, but that never wouldn’t happened if their POS from there motel was working right. There are so many bad things to say about the place but I’m just gonna stop here.

The only good thing about this property is that it’s next to the Van Gogh museum.

• Bed in 15-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

Toilet is incredibly small and dirty. There is only one common area and no electrical outlets. You should consider the hostel just as an option to sleep. Really bad management, I checked in at 20:00 and then went out, when I came back there was someone on my bed and the staff knew about it, they just apologyzed and gave me another bed, I had to gather and move my stuff (clothes got lost) at 3:00 AM in the middle of the dark. Before booking, I read that some people had issues too but I thought they were some typical mistakes that happen sometimes, but now I have the impression that these people in the hostel have no idea of what they are doing.

• Bed in 21-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

The staff were rude and inconsiderate; one girl staying in my room was moved to a different bed every night (meaning she had to repack her stuff each time) and all the receptionist cared about what emphasising it wasn’t his fault and she should just get over it. They swore if you asked them to do something. There was never any soap in the bathroom. The kitchen was very poorly maintained.

Location was good; tram stop nearby made the whole city easily accessible and the nearby supermarket was handy for getting food

• Bed in 21-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

Only one restroom/bathroom (together) per floor. At least 12 people sharing.

Very good location, next to the Museumplein. The best area to stay. Nice and helpful staff.

• Bed in 21-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

The stay was very overpriced for a 12 bed room that shared one bathroom, with an included breakfast of only bread, butter, and jam. I have stayed in many hostels for significantly less money that were much nicer. The common room was also quiet and uninviting, unlike most other hostels. Perhaps this is how all hostels in Amsterdam are, I'm not sure, but we were definitely better off getting an airbnb. The only bright side was it was in an excellent location.

• Bed in 4-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The bed was small and I was anxious that I would fall because there was no rail on the second floor.

The room had a big window so you can enjoy the scenery.

• Bed in 21-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

They charge you both on your card when you do the reservation and in cash when you arrive, which means you pay double for the same service.

La recepcion era 24 hs The reception was open 24 hs

• Bed in 12-Bed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

- Very embarrassing staff (a guy from Poland) They dont had small money to returm my money and so dont allow me to stay while I made reservation and asked me at 22:15 oclock to change money in street. - very simple breakfast I stayed there 3 days and had only one breakfast. - no elevator and very aslant steers. - dirty wc - very cool during night (heating is working on very low degree) during Februry. -

I choosed it only because it closed to my meeting

• Bed in 21-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

The only thing that I didn't like it in the property is the toilet. We were 12 people sharing the only toilet in the floor. So you have to wait your turn....

• Bed in 21-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

The only thing that is... let's say... not very pleasant is the cat smell... Since there're some cats at the place the cat smell may be a little bit strong sometimes.

The location is great. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The beds are very confy.

• Bed in 15-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

there were no lockers, paying for the accommodation was cash only which wasn't stated and was peculiar, keys didn't unlock the front door and the bathroom was tiny

The rooms had plenty of space for your belongings

• Bed in 21-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

The bathroom is TOO SMALL, there’s no place to hang your clothes while you take a shower

The staff was really nice. The place is pretty and the location is good .

• Bed in 21-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

Two bathrooms (as in one toilet and shower per bathroom) was a problem. I would also request a room upstairs next time because the common area can get very loud at night.

The staff was super helpful and the hostel was less than a block from the metro. There are games and books you can borrow, and two cats! Access to a fridge and cookware.

• Bed in 15-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

I talked to the reception guys only in the check in and check out and they were supper aggressive and impolite. We had 3 bed, one was dirty and not made, they clearly didn´t change the sheets. My friend who was suppose to be in the dirty bed went to talk to the reception and they said he could go to another bed, but when he tried another guest was already there. They charge for everything, even for leaving the luggage there. This year I went to 17 different countries and so far this was the worst hostel I have ever been!

Nothing! Nada!

• Bed in 15-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

BEDBUGS!!! DON'T GO THERE!! I SUFFERED A WEEK WITH BIG BUBBLES ON MY NECK!! DON'T GO THERE!! NO REFUND OF THE NIGHT NOT SLEEP, NO ONE MUST BE DISCUSSED!! DON' GO THERE!!!!!

• Bed in 12-Bed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

Bunk beds not well distributed (next to door, guy bed next to mine touched my feet with his). Quite noisy during whole day, people shouting in the common areas and banging doors.

The cheapest I could find on a weekend and not very far from main area. Clean. Staff was really helpful, forgot a personal item and they helped me to get it back. Really thankful for that.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

We arrived early around 12noon. There was a guy in his 40's or 50's (obese) who received us at the door and told us to come back 2PM. We asked him if we could leave our bags and he said "No! It's not my problem if you arrived early. Do you understand? It's not my problem if you have no place for your bags." K. We came back around 8PM to check-in from a day tour at Volendam. He is rude! 😅

The receptionists, esp when we checked in (around 8PM, Oct 27) and checked out, were very accomodating and kind. (contrary to the man we met earlier) The room is clean.

• Bed in 12-Bed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

I was moved to another hotel (Sarphati) because they had some problems here. They have terrible stairs access, small beds, 10 people in the same room, very small room, no storage space or wardrobe, 1 bathroom, dim light, everyone comes in the room when they want and disturb you.

The only thing which i liked was the matress and nice pillow. That is all! Nothing else!

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The bedroom was bare. The lack of guard on the top bunk was dangerous. I also emailed 3 days before my visit asking if I needed to bring a towel. I got no response.

The location was excellent and the staff were good natured.

• Bed in 21-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

We stayed at this hostel for 2 nights. It wasn't awful, but not wonderful. Rooms are not very clean, close for 10 people, but it is not the end- you will have wonderful neighbors like bedbugs. In bathrooms there is no place to put your clothes while your are taking shower.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Nothing good about this property. The rooms are not good at all and are very small and the building is very old one. The stairs are very steep and slippery. No lift/elevator. The bath rooms are very small and are available one in each floor. The host is very rude and not friendly nor communicative.

Only the location is good.

• Bed in 21-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

My bed didn't have plug to recharge my phone, poor breakfast (just bread, coffee and tea).

It's a really good place, surrounded by market, museums and public transportation. 40 minutes walking from Amsterdam Centraal, 5 minutes to Van Gogh Museum. Room very clean and they have food to sell if you need.

• Bed in 4-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

We had to pay cash and didn't get a former receipt. This happened even though I wrote my credit card number when I booked. I could not find information about this at booking.com when I booked. I got an e-mail adress to claim a receipt, but the adress was wrong!!

They had beds to stretch out on - in stead of staying overnight in a chair at the airport when all hotels were fully booked.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Terrible Hostel.. Unfriendly Personal. Place is dirty. Disgusting Bathroom and clogged Toilette. Will never tecommend this Hostel. Absolutely bad.

• Bed in 15-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

Everything! No lockers! Rude staff! Poor organisation! Worst money spent on a hostel in 3 months worth of traveling in 21 countries. I DID NOT FEEL SAFE HERE!!

Nothing would not stay here again, save your money and stay somewhere safe and not a rip off.

• Bed in 9-Bed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

A toaster would be nice for the bread and jam.

Beds were comfy and clean. Breakfast was bread and coffee; basic, but quite sufficient. Good deal for being in Amsterdam.

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Expensive, dirty, they don't take cards, zero space in the room. No lockers to put your bags in. Nowhere to get changed. Tiny bathroom, dirty shower. Great for 18 year olds, not for anyone over the age of 22.

• Bed in 12-Bed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

THERE WERE BED BUGS!!!! My friend was COVERED with bites after the night there!!! Bathroom was extremely small (impossible to use WC for people with long legs) and the door didn't close properly. Stuff were mean. They kicked us out after the check-out! (We suggested to buy coffee there, so they would let us stay for some more time, they rejected)

• Bed in 12-Bed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

The staff didn't help more concerned about money in cash.The rooms are unhygenic and dirty.Didn't provide towels even.Breakfast was pathetic.Never recommend to anyobe ever.

Location was good.

• Bed in 4-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I got bitten by bedbugs and marks all over my body and had to go to the doctor. Nothing to like about that. It shows that the place is too dirty.. in fact you can see how poor the room and the toilet conditions were but was not expecting this bug problem. Just nasty. Will not go there ever again. :-)

The staffs were friendly and the location was good for my meeting.

• Bed in 21-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

Too few toilets for too many people. No luggage storage. However I think it is ok for a hostel, specially if you are planning to travel very cheap and u do not mind to share a room with eleven other people.

The location probably is the best of this hostel

• Bed in 9-Bed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

I choosed option to pay by card. In hostel, it turns out, that you can pay only by cash. Not huge problem,but I wish I could know before. Would save me walk into the rain to ATM....

Very friendly receptionist :) hostel is clean,bed are comfy n internet connection is good. What else do you need from hostel?

• Bed in 15-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

the personal are useless (all of them), too many problems during the check in (they dont let me pay with credit card and delayed my check in one hour), the bath it seems a jail bath and the entire hostel was full of filth (the stair are disgusting). At the second day they changed my room, to finalized the worst experience of accomodation of my entire live

• Bed in 12-Bed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

26-27 May 2017. 100 euro for 2 people for a night: bedbugs and a week of itchiness included. The procedures at the receptions were messy. The person didn't know the type of booking and tried to charge the city tax once more in cash. The rooms were dump. The toilet in the room - not clean. The bathrooms on each floor much better, but very small, no toiletries. Have a nice itch.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Cleanliness, Comfort, facilities and the owners attitude was extremely pathetic. Extremely expensive and NOT at all value for money. It was more like a prison cell with horrible washroom and very small room. NOT recommended!

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

- No credit card payment - because of it had to use more than half of cash. It was totally unexpected and dissapointing. - Included breakfast is very poor. Bread+Jam. I'd prefer to pay but get normal breakfast, because don't have much time to eat somewhere else in the morning. Can be somehow solved in market near by. - Room very small with not-well opened windows - when few people in room - hard to sleep because of lack of air. - Toilets and shower EXTREMELY small. And added photos doesn't show it. - Had to pay even for towel - Sometimes dirty, especially in kitchen (but bed was ok) - Price much higher than it's deserved

- Location is very good. - Museum center just in 1 min - Big market in few min - Direct tram to Amsterdam Central and other places. - WiFi is fine. - Small shop with snacks and water with relatively low prices. - When asked staff for some help - they helped properly.

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

First of all, I was very disappointed with this booking to hostel Annemarie which led me cannot to cancel and re-booking. Everything seams like "fixed" without any flexible. We book the room with high rate, breakfast included but they serve breakfast quite late so we don't take any.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Bed in 15-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

only a few bathroom facilities..could be more and a bit bigger. Was really hard to take a shower

Staff was super nice and location was great. You can walk almost everywhere or rent a bike for 10 Euro/24hours

• Bed in 12-Bed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

Everything. There were bed bugs, rude staff, broken showers, broken doors, and unmade beds upon arrival. In addition to this, the property is far overpriced for what you get, especially considering these factors. The worst hostel experience I've ever had. Don't stay here.

Good location. Inadequate in every other regard at best.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

Old building, few bathrooms, reception guy was really high and confused during check-in.

Good location, breakfast included, reasonably clean facilities.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Bed in 9-Bed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

I paid a lot of money for 3 nights compared to others I spoke with and people were easily cutting lines and staying for free. Also those same people were loud and disrespectful late in the night while I was trying to sleep. Also the entire place was under construction so there weren't a lot of options for facility usage.

Location was okay, and the staff was friendly.

• Bed in 15-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

Bathroom was soo thiny and not every bed have it's own electrict socket.

Location was just perfect,close to the main attractions. I can also say that stuff is really nice there.

• Bed in 9-Bed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

- the property did not accept card payment which was never mentioned anywhere - there were not enough functional bathrooms and toilets and it was a long wait for the showers

the location was great

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

My father booked with his credit card but when I arrived they insisted on cash only which I didn't have and nor did my dad. I handed over money for one night and then my Uncle sent me £400, about 580 Euro#S. In total I paid 400 Euro's to start. My dad said he could pay the balance on the Tuesday morning, which was 122 Euro'S. They insisted it be paid on Monday or they would throw me out. My Dad explained over and over he coul;d not get the money until Tuesday. So they threw me out on the streets with no money and nowhere to go. In total they took 400 euro's for three nights in a hostel sharing with five other people. My father spent 6 hours desperately trying to find me emergency accommodation that would let him use his credit card. While searching the Annemarie came up advertsisng a bed for the night at £16, about 20 Euros. I was not only being charged 68 but they had spare beds and there was no need to kick me out on the streets. They are scum. I spent 5 hours on the streets and they could not care less. While they refused to take a credit card payment their website states that if the booking is a no show the full cost will be taken from the card. There is no reason they could not take a credit card payment and there is no reasong for them kicking me out on to the streest. I am not yet 18 and it ws my first trip abroad on my own.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

• Bed in 15-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

Small bunk beds - can't sit up if you're on the bottom bunk I got rashes after staying at the hostel Bathroom is dank and tiny; not enough bathrooms either Cleaning staff changed my sheets mid stay because they thought I was checking out and just unceremoniously dumped all my things on the ground

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Bed in 15-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

The facilities were reasonably poor. We're not told about extra fees before arrival. Breakfast offering was not very appealing.

The close proximatey to public transport

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The bedbugs for one The inability of the staff to accommodate us even after we were sleepless because of a snoring roomie. My husband was RIDDLED with bedbug bites and they were crawling on our clothing/in our packs. NO REFUND NOT COOL

The only good thing was Filipo.

• Bed in 15-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

The worst place I've ever been in my life. Dirty, full of bed bugs, they charged me things that were not supposed to, I applied to pay by credit card and they didn't let me pay with it.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

• Bed in 4-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

There was bed bugs in the room. (not too bad) The money they take from your account is a not part of payment from the hostel, you must pay the full amount when you arrive and then that money will be unfrozen (it will take 3-5 days to be put back in) We were unaware of this when we arrived and thought this money was a deposit.

The staff was very friendly and incredibly helpful. Location was a tram away from the centre and had a very good party area about a 10/15 mins away. Was a lot of fun.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Bed in 9-Bed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

A bi t far for walking from the main downtown if you hate public transportation like me, besides it was snowing!

Good enough, comfortable bed, clean, laid back, breakfast included

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

• Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

This hostel was absolutely disgusting. The garbage hadn't been emptied, the walls and ceiling were peeling, the bathroom smelled like something died, the floor in our room was sticky. The worst part was my "clean" sheets had semen stains all over them. Absolutely disgusting. We had to lay blankets that we bought over the sheets just to feel comfortable sleeping. Also very noisy....the windows don't close all the way and the property faces the street. I wouldn't recommend ANYONE go here. The staff may have been nice, but an employee came into my friend's room and asked to borrow a hairbrush...very weird. The "included breakfast" is nothing but untoasted bread and peanut butter. I've stayed in other hostels around Europe and I've really gotta say this one is by far the grossest.

The staff was nice and the location was great for the museums. It's far from the Red Light District (about a 30 minute walk) but within 10 minutes of the Amsterdam sign and Van Gogh Museum.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

• Bed in 9-Bed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

it would be so much better if you could offer heavier quilt. a little cold in winter.

staff there are really nice people, very warm hearted. the location is perfect: very near walking distance to van gogh museum and rijskmuseum as well as transport bus to airport. a large supermarket across the street, so convenient!

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

• Bed in 15-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

There is a little problem of bed bugs... and if you're staying in a room without private shower it may be a little bit uncomfortable.

The hosts are amazing! very pleasant people. The rooms looks exactly like in the photos and the place is small and cozy. You have a common room downstairs where you can sit with friends or by yourself, in the common room they have two computers connected to the internet. Great place to stay if your budget is limited

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

• Bed in 21-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

I send 6 days to this hostel , it was amazing. i was kinda cautious, about the hostels coz it was the first time that i was book a room in a hostel . It is placed in a very convinted area,very helpfull staff and it was very clean .Definately this hostel is Value of money .I recomment it for u

• Bed in 21-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

very low ratio quality/price for such a crowded room; the shower and the toilette were very small and the staff (I have seen 4 different people belonging to it) is not that friendly...

the entrance has no stairs and it's colorful

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

• Bed in 21-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

the price! for a bed in a 12 people dorm, almost 40€ is a lot. apart from that, all good.

very clean hostel, which is usually an oxymoron and happily surprised us! included breakfast (unlimited toast with spreads and coffee), and a kitchen space with lots in the cupboards for everyone, cereal, tea etc. back yard with rental bikes, working wifi, ok comfort in beds.. we were honestly so pleased with this hostel! highly recommended.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

• Bed in 15-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

Very dirty, showers and toilets stink, no soap or hand towels, food gets stolen from the fridge, staff doesn't seem to be friendly.

Convenient location, close to most museums. Safe and quiet neighbourhood.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

• Bed in 21-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

NO lockers (no lockers in the room or to rent) The breakfast it's only bread with jam/butter or peanutbutter and coffe or tea. The shower and toilet are really close to the kitchen, and there was just a microwave and a small refrigerator. The hostel also doesn't keep your luggage after the check out.

Excelent location, about 3 min walking to Van Gogh Museum. Bikes to rent (but there are bikes to rent literally everywhere in Amsterdam)

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Bed in 15-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

Breakfast is provided but don't expect a huge breakfast, just bread and peanut butter, jam and butter.

Wonderful staff, nice location and good price

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I feel it was a little expensive considering the stay in a dormitory with 6 persons sharing.

The bed was comfortable. Staff at reception was very friendly and welcoming. Wifi and breakfast was included in the charges. It was good to stay for 1 night.

• Reviewed: 4 July 2016

• Bed in 12-Bed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

Extension cord could be a plus in the other side of the room to charge your devices. There was some excess moisture in the room which was expected due to the shower.

Own shower in the room and bed was comfortable to sleep in. The hostel cat was lovely to stroke.

• Reviewed: 19 June 2016

• Bed in 15-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

There's no weed allowed in the garden. But it's not problem. :)

There's the wideband wifi worked well even the hostel was almost fully booked. The breakfast was nince, enjoyed it. The staff was helpful and kind. Basically everything was nice. I like to emphasize that the hostel is in a very quiet environment, and the hostel itself is very quiet too. Because of I'm extremely sensitive to noises, it was very-very good for me.

Nothing I like everything

Location was excellent & staff are cooperate and very friendly

nothing really

Location was excellent

Wifi is not working

No hanger in the shower

Clean shower and helpful staff

• Bed in 4-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

It was a best place I stayed in Amsterdam and workers are super friendly

• Bed in 12-Bed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

There were no lockers for important things

More choice for breakfast

• Bed in 21-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

Toilet facility. There is only one small bath attached toilet on every floor.

The location is great

• Bed in 12-Bed Dormitory Room with Bathroom

The piece was not the same as shown during the online booking.

The room smell

Small bathroom

Position and price

• Bed in 21-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room with Shared Bathroom

They have cats, so it smells like cats. Specially at the kitchen, not really nice.

Great location, nice staff.