Reviews of Van der Valk Hotel Assen 4 stars

Balkenweg 1, 9405 CC Assen, Netherlands

#3 of 9 hotels in Assen

Like all Van der Valk hotels very good all round
    • Luxury Twin Room

Moved the duvet to find some black beetles which scurried away. Also I was bitten by something in the bed.

Like all Van der Valk hotels very good all round

Enjoyable two nights in Assen
    • Luxury Twin Room

A little confusing arriving after dark - on website called Van der Valk but sign on hotel said Hotel Assen (look for the toucan!). Hotel bar on first night very busy with large and very noisy groups of men - hard to hear what we were saying . Possibly there for an event as gone by next evening.

Very comfortable, spacious room with balcony overlooking lovely gardens. Excellent breakfast although rather pricy. Easy access to restaurants in centre of Assen (need a car).

Excellent experience and stay
    • Luxury Twin Room

Can't say anything bad about our stay

Free car parking, all your needs for catered for. Breakfast was good eggs, omelettes, waffles cooked by chef in front of you. Hotel fully booked but had no problems getting table at breakfast and no queues checking in or out. Rooms emaculate

Beautiful four star hotel with excellent service and...
    • Luxury Twin Room

As per usual we got a Booking Room, now on the third floor without elevator access between second and third floor. Heavy suitcase for 72 year is difficult to carry upstairs. Terrace with view and noise of the autoroute.

Beautiful four star hotel with excellent service and restaurants.

What a Pleasure
    • Luxury Triple Room

You can hear the traffic from the freeway but the hotel offers earplugs, if its to much to sleep.

Everything! Beautiful hotel with great and very clean rooms, really good food at the restaurant, easy access to the freeway and city and friendly staff. Would love to stay at Van der Valk Hotel again.

we enjoyed our stay very much.
    • Luxury Twin Room

because there is one big balcony with no seperation between the rooms you can't sleep with the door open at night

room and breakfast and the possibility to eat outside

This Toucan hotel doesn't disappoint
    • Luxury Triple Room

The buffet was good both at dinner and breakfast. Quite big rooms and my kid had lots of fun in the indoor play ground. The location close to the motorway makes it handy for traveling around.

Comfortable hotel and the food is fantastic.
    • Luxury Twin Room

When in the reception there are no signs to show you how to get to the rooms. There is a very inconspicuous sign saying ‘hotel’ direction when you are actually standing in the hotel. I found that rather confusing on arrival.

I had a great room with a. Kew on the forest - the food in the restaurant is surprisingly good.

Clean and comfy, big rooms and next to nice park
    • Luxury Twin Room

My only complaint is the gym. I'd like to see a rowing machine added at a minimum, and in a perfect world some free weights and a barbell for squatting/deadlifting.

Comfy beds, great bathrooms, huge balconies. The rooms here are very nice and I regularly stay here for work for 3-5 nights. Huge park next to the hotel that is great for going for a walk/run. You can also rent city bikes to get around Assen which is great.

Good hotel in Asssen
    • Luxury Twin Room

Very big hotel and the numbering of rooms is not structured so takes some time to find your way through the maze. Restaurant service too some time

Hotel rooms were very luxurious. bed was very comfortable and the food in the restaurant was very good. Wifi was good and free.

All in all good, but the reception team needs to be trained for customer friendliness.
    • Luxury Twin Room

Inflexible, non-experienced reception staff . I asked before arrival to be able to check in 1.5-2 hours earlier as we had a baby with us who had to sleep. First they refused it, then they said it is possible but we need to pay extra 10 Euro per hour. Never heard any hotel charging for this, even might be the policy. Finally some supervisor arranged, but this gave us bad feeling to arrive to the hotel. Also our check-in was not smooth. The window door in our room was broken, could not close it, so cold was coming in.

Excellent dinner and breakfast. Big room, with nice renovated bathroom. The beds were very comfortable and big. Restaurant personnel very friendly and helpful. Nice decorations and cosy atmosphere

Very nice stay in a friendly place.
    • Wellness Suite

To find your room the first time can be a bit confusing.

The service and staff was very professional and friendly. They tried their best to make you feel welcomed. Very nice experience.

AMAZING! Loved it.
    • Luxury Twin Room

The Gym description didn’t match with the real machines found there, but nothing you cannot manage to work with.

Everything is exceptional, from the breakfast, to the rooms, bathrooms, facilities (lounge, restaurant, etc.), ending in the staff personnel, one of the best and most beautiful hotels I’ve ever been! Definitely coming back!!

Very enjoyable
    • Luxury Twin Room

I booked these rooms very early as I have for the last 4 years but made a mistake and booked rooms that had to be paid for straight away I asked if these could be cancelled and re-booked as payment on arrival rooms as my son races and if he was injured ie broken leg or arm etc we may not have been able to go. But the Hotel wouldn't so I was not happy about this.

Close to Assen race circuit

Brilliant welcome again
    • Luxury Twin Room

Once again, the staff and hotel facilities didn't disappoint. Greeted by friendly staff on reception who had the history of my previous stays here.

Had a great time
    • Luxury Twin Room

Towels were small and could have been better. Had a luxury room so should have had a dressing gowns !

Comfy bed , plenty of space good breakfast and helpful staff

Great for our bike season visits
    • Luxury Twin Room

Was unable to park motorcycles in the under ground garage an is the reason we choose hotel. Park now on roof area although with camera is not as good still be stolen.not enough sugar in room for drinks, room was not cleaned one day during stay when was asked the cleaner to clean.a empty l wallet lucky disappeared from next to kettle. Some service on the Sunday afternoon was slow, and asked for a coke and a orange never arrived, so we left earlier.

Staff reception blonde girl was super lovely and excellent and fun. Food beer services from lads behind bar.

Excellent all round.
    • Luxury Twin Room

Staff really friendly especially in the bar Restaurant food excellent and good value, likewise, the breakfasts. Rooms very spacious and have everything you need. Come every year for the BSB. Track easy to get to. Thoroughly recommend.

Van der Valk has the advantage
    • Luxury Twin Room

Needs more choice on the new restaurant menu for those staying more than a day or two. Also, starters priced at pretty much at least 11 euros is very expensive.

Great location, spotless rooms and public areas.

Decent place.
    • Luxury Twin Room

Pathetic "gym" though. I sometimes opt for other hotels just because of that. VdV needs to seriously evaluate having a proper gym on site! Breakfast is so boring and not much of variety.

Generally good place. Friendly staff. fast check in/out

Comfortable hotel for a stoppover

./.

Very comfortable hotel with friendly staff. Great beds. Super breakfast. Easy parking. Just what one needs for a stoppover during a long drive. Excellent food in restaurant, too. We will definitely stay again if we need a night in the area.

Comfy, clean, conveniently located hotel with fantastic breakfast.
    • Luxury Twin Room

Very nice hotel, very reasonably priced. Fantastic breakfast buffet, great selection of cold and hot food (especially loved the mini pancakes and syrup and the coffee machines!). The staff are friendly, the room is spacious and comfy with a shared balcony. It's very clean and the bathroom is lovely, with a lovely shower. It's easy to find, close to the motorway, and the car park is huge.

breakfast choices were fantastic, something for everyone.
    • Luxury Twin Room

breakfast choices were fantastic, something for everyone. Evening meals fabulous, staff couldn't have been nicer or more efficient - all round a great place to stay

Family stay

Checking out was a very slow process. Only two desk-persons were available while telephone calls interrupted the checking. For such a great and fine hotel NOT DONE.

The breakfast buffet was excellent !!

Recommended - well priced & clean
    • Luxury Triple Room

Reasonable pricing. Availability of a 3 person room - which is quite rare. Nice quiet setting with trees around. Abundant parking. The clean towels did not stink - which I often find in hotels.

Perfect stay in upgraded Wellness Suite!
    • Luxury Twin Room

I think everything is actually quite good the way it is, especially for a 4* hotel.

We stayed for one night and booked the Luxury Twin Room, when we arrived at the hotel to check in they told us we got given an upgrade to a "Wellness Suite". We had a Sauna, Steam Shower and Jacuzzi bath in our room, so we decided to test it all and I must say it was fabulous. Your own little wellness in your own big suite. We also took the breakfast, very wide choice as it is a buffet. English breakfast, French breakfast, cereals, fresh fruit, fresh juices,... everything really! The staff is super friendly as well, and always ready to help you. If you have a phone call to make or have to print out something they won't charge you for it, real service for a 4* hotel.

Lavish accommodation in Assen, with a compellingly satisfying breakfast (at additional cost).
    • Luxury Twin Room

The room I booked- a junior suite, I believe- I got at something of a steal, which was luxury that quite exceeded my expectations for the amount I'd been quoted. As a matter of fact, I went back to the front desk just hours later, to ask if I might be able to extend my stay (which I luckily could, albeit at a slightly higher price for the second night than the first). The pictures of the junior suite in the listing provide a thorough and accurate impression of the room, so I don't shan't clutter the listing by uploading my own inferior ones. Serviceable beds, a spotless white bathroom, a sturdy wooden bar desk of comfortable length for work, and a solid wireless connection. Even considering all the other creature comforts, I think the breakfast buffet might have been the highlight here for me; I'd gone several mornings without hot food at the time, and rather shamelessly loaded up on scrambled eggs, baked beans, sausages, potatoes, little pastries, oatmeal, cereal, pulpy fruit juice, and yoghurts. I'm sure the selection extended beyond the items I've listed, but I'd quite filled up by the time I'd eaten everything I'd somewhat indiscriminately corraled onto my plate(s).

Staying with two grandchildren it was nice to have adjacient...
    • Luxury Twin Room

It took long before the main course was served and it was only warm, not hot enough. Mentioning this, the staff said: we can warm it up for you???

Staying with two grandchildren it was nice to have adjacient rooms with a connecting door

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

nicely furnitured and very clean rooms with air conditioning...
    • Luxury Twin Room

It is located near the highway which makes it noisy outside. The sound insulation could be better.

nicely furnitured and very clean rooms with air conditioning, mini bar and a big flatscreen TV with international channels

Very good hotel!
    • Comfort Twin Room

Room: the carpet might need a thorough cleaning.

Reception: nice and friendly. Room "Deluxe Comfort": cosy, spacious, comfortable, with airco, huge bathroom, view from the room on trees and nature. Breakfast: big choice, very good quality. Diner: à la carte: very good, friendly service. Parking: no problem parking your car with a bike carrier. We definitely enjoyed our stay at this hotel, very close to the hunebedden (Borger, Emmen) and to the Waddenzee (Menkemaborg)! Thanks to all the staff there!

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Great hotel choice while I was traveling through the Netherlands
    • Luxury Twin Room

Had to wait at reception as there was only one person serving Room had road noise but it did not keep me awake, I guess the traffic reduces as the time of the evening goes on.

As with all the Van Der Valk hotels that I have recently stayed at they appear to offer a good size of room with a great bathroom, an extensive buffet breakfast with hot and cold produce, good parking facilities, good on site restaurant and a bar and well maintained properties with polite staff. Very nice restaurant and a separate lounge bar with outside seating Very large hotel. Used a lot for business customer judging by the amount of meeting rooms Rooms had all the required facilities + free Wi-Fi and were very clean, rest of hotel was spotless.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Modern, friendly and good location !!!
    • Luxury Twin Room

The excercise / fitness room facilities could have more equipment, or be bigger.

The space of the room is great.The room I had on lower floor with patio outside overlooking trees and grass , added to the relaxed feeling

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

Great hotel
    • Luxury Twin Room

Nothing really, but to menmtion one tiny point: The signalisation in the hotel can be improved: First time I tried to get from my room (137) back to the reception, I must have missed a direction sign and got completely lost in the middle of nowhere. On my way back, I noticed that there are info-signs missing at strategic places. Anyway, no big issue but this can be simply improved.

Everything just great, including the star-worthy restaurant 28Dining!

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Great Visit for the WBK TT
    • Luxury Twin Room

No restaurants within walking distance. Assen town centre is a 10+ euro ride away so 20 to 25 euro return & if you are here for a few days it gets expensive.

We were here for the World Super bikes & the TT circuit is less than 10 mins drive & very accessible from different angles. The hotel is really good & we would visit again. Couple of restaurants & bar food available. All staff spoke excellent English & very helpful.

great experiance
    • Luxury Twin Room

Restaurant again decor very nice, however waited over an hour and 20 minutes for dinner to find the order never made it to the kitchen!!!. we were seated by the staff to a table not laid and with a half bottle of water on the table. After we had our meal which was excellent we found the following morning they had charged us 5.95 euros for a bottle of water we never ordered despite they said it was half drunk..............yes by other diners.

location excellent, hotel looks great externally lots of parking nice gardens very clean, internally excellent decor to a high standard lovely decorative furniture throughout, rooms are large and again decor to a high standard with balcony's. bathroom to a very high standard and all very clean

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Best Hotel in Assen, The Netherlands
    • Luxury Twin Room

Breakfast was excellent! Like being in Heaven, everything you could ask for was there. Room was perfect and Large, Beds were also great. Bathroom, wish I had this in my House.

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

Very pleasant and modern hotel with friendly staff, all of them spoke perfect English. We would defi
    • Luxury Twin Room

On our second night we had very noisy neighbours out on the shared balcony till 4am shouting and scraping chairs. But that can happen anywhere, we think it was the local Dingles by the look of them.

Lovely rooms, the bathroom was exceptional, bath and shower with underfloor heating. Free wi-fi and safety deposit box asa well.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Excellent and worth every penny. Conditions of hotel and friendly atmosphere

Paying for the mini bar

Was a brilliant hotel and will be booking next year for the Dutch open. Classy hotel and brilliant food as well as friendly staff

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Wonderful hotel

Nothing, everything was perfect

Everything was amazing! Even better than in the photos. We stayed in the junior suite and it was so cozy and perfect. We had such a great time there

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

The rooms are modern, especially the bathroom.
    • Luxury Twin Room

It's just a personal thing, but we don't like the twin beds, instead of king/queen mattress. It would be an even better service to offer both options at time of booking, so guests can choose.

The rooms are modern, especially the bathroom. Big bathtub, rain shower. They give out many bathroom supplies. Food at the restaurant is very good.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

Staying here was just a great pleasure
    • Luxury Twin Room

A sign in the bathroom said, if you use your towel again hang it up, when it's ready for laundry just drop it on the floor. Dropping towels on the floor I think it's rude to do, it gives me a feeling to offence someone. Why not a laundry basket?

Loved the bathtub and my bed. Toast was lovely and the fruit was real fresh.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

Excellent choice for one or 2 nights stay over
    • Luxury Twin Room

It's a little confusing as the hotel consists of so many parts and buildings.

Hotel staff is super friendly and nice. Plenty of free parking. Bathroom was very luxurious in our category. Juice variety at breakfast was excellent, generally breakfast fast ok.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Efficient hotel, great breakfast
    • Luxury Twin Room

Very large "conference" hotel with potentially long walk to central facilities typical of this chain. Room + window opened onto common balcony which reduces privacy & security.

This hotel has the most extensive breakfast buffet of any I have experienced: wide choice, fresh, plentiful! Good restaurant for dinner, and pleasant staff.

Comfortable
    • Luxury Twin Room

Hair in Bathroom, entrance very noisy ( different music from various arias and table football next to desk with check in?)

Spacious room and bathroom, new

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

perfect for the TT course.
    • Luxury Twin Room

we tried to find out what the restaurant served at night to try and make a choice if to eat in or not we asked at reception and were told there were some in the bar but we could not find one. it would be nice to have one around in the morning so you can plan your day.

the hotel is lovely in a great location easy to get to as it is just off the motorway. the breakfast was great with lots to chose from. the room is really good comfy and with great facilities. there is free parking which is safe they also have a dedicated bike park for motorcycles which is good to see.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Great Hotel, Brilliant Staff
    • Luxury Twin Room

very little to dislike, maybe some additional leisure facilities for those staying on holiday rather than work

friendly and welcoming staff, free wifi, good food and drink, not expensive, great location for TT Circuit

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Great stay in Assen
    • Luxury Twin Room

Perfect location for the Superbike racing. Cleanliness of hotel in all areas. Hotel staff really helpful and friendly. Spacious room with good shower.

Bed very comfy room and bathroom large
    • Luxury Twin Room

the route from the reception to the room

Bed very comfy room and bathroom large

Large spacious bedroom and bathroom.

I liked everything.

Large spacious bedroom and bathroom. Good food.

Not to recomend

Paying for a luxeurios room but get a room smelling tobacco, and in addition poorly cleaned

All OK

All OK

close to the circuit
    • Luxury Twin Room

close to the circuit helpful staff good menu at the bar/restaurant

De kamer vooral de douche gelegenheid

Alles was perfect

De kamer vooral de douche gelegenheid

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

good parking comfortable room and beds.
    • Luxury Triple Room

Cost of food and drink, no where to wash clothes

good parking comfortable room and beds.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

My stay was very nice
    • Comfort Twin Room

The staff were very nice and the room was exceptional

Location and Quite place

Nothing, everything excellent

Location and Quite place

All was fine

All was fine

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

The rooms were large and comfortable, the staff were very...
    • Luxury Twin Room

Not a very good choice of food available if you are vegetarian.

The rooms were large and comfortable, the staff were very friendly and helpfull.

Spacious room

Spacious room

Excellent hotel and great location

The food was very good

Fabulous breakfast, friendly personel and a great place to...
    • Luxury Twin Room

Fabulous breakfast, friendly personel and a great place to relax and enjoy the wonderful nature nearby.

RELAXING AND VERY NICE HOTEL AND TOP QUALITY
    • Luxury Twin Room

THE CUP OF TEA WE FOUND DIRTY THE SHOWER DRAINAGE IS BLOCKED AFTER END OF SHOWER

ALL IS V V GOOD

Had a great stay during the TT Moto races.
    • Luxury Twin Room

Had a great stay during the TT Moto races. Nice bar and patio area, staff were very polite and attentive.

Catered for all my needs. Restaurant refurbishment May be better performed in low season?

Bit of a long walk to room 41

Rooms

Fantastic Hotel
    • Luxury Triple Room

Luxury hotel at a Budget price. The buffet dinner was fantastic

Well presented property, I would recommend and definitely...
    • Luxury Twin Room

Well presented property, I would recommend and definitely stay there again.

Good at breakfast
    • Luxury Twin Room

Bad at front desk service Only buffet dinner, no choice

Good at breakfast

Reall enjoyed our stay. Staff was lovely ☺
    • Luxury Triple Room

Wished it was a closer to town

It is a great place to meet family and friends. Lots of cosy areas to talk

Good wuality rooms and friendly stafg
    • Luxury Twin Room

Kitchen was being renovated, which wsd not shown on bookng.com

Friendly staff

Brilliant

Brilliant

Good location, modern, large room and delicious breakfast.
    • Luxury Twin Room

Lovely hotel, big room with a balcony. Breakfast fantastic.

Property going under renovation,Pneumatic drills being...
    • Wellness Suite

Property going under renovation,Pneumatic drills being usedthrough the night. No la a cart menu available only buffet.

Breakfast was 3xcellent

Breakfast was 3xcellent Room suite as per expectations outlook less interesting

Simple, value for money is ok, long stretched upt building give long walking to your room.
    • Luxury Twin Room

Near the highway is nosy in the Eastside forom hotel. It will be better when you ask for a room in West.

Perfect bed

Breakfast is amazing.
    • Luxury Twin Room

Breakfast is amazing. Rooms are superbly comfortable in this price range

Browse Van der Valk Hotel Assen traveller photo gallery