Reviews of Avenue Hotel 3 stars

Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 33, Amsterdam City Centre, 1012 RD Amsterdam, Netherlands

#266 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Hotel is very well situated near the station, restuarants and shops
    • Double or Twin Room

Unfortunately we were in Room 201 which was extremely small. The lighting was so bad we could not read in bed. The shower was so small that my partner could hardly fit in it.

Checking in at the hotel was very easy. Breakfast had a great variety. Hotel is very well situated with lots of restuarants nearby.

• Double or Twin Room

The bed was uncomfortable and so were the pillows. Despite checkout being at 12.00 we had many housekeeping interruptions before that time and the cleaning of the room opposite was very noisy with bangs on our door constantly

The staff were absolutely amazing, so friendly and helpful.
    • Double or Twin Room

There was a terrible smell in the bathroom the whole time.

The staff were absolutely amazing, so friendly and helpful. The room was really good, clean and comfortable. The hotel is about 5 minutes walk from Centraal Station, fantastic location

The old elevator broke.
    • Double or Twin Room

The old elevator broke. And the nightshift had hard problems with our early check.out at 06.30. They had problems with handling the invoice. And then they couldn´t find the garageticket, so we had to pay for two days €110 instead of the €60 which is the hotels agreement with the garage company.

Mixed feelings.
    • Double or Twin Room

The room smelled of cigarette smoke when I arrived and for two days - at first I was accused of causing it (I did not). The window was nailed shut, and I could see that this wasn’t the case with other bedrooms in the hotel - their windows were open. The lack of ventilation meant I had to have the air conditioning unit on most of the time - it blasted onto my head when I was working at the desk in the evenings.

Central location, good breakfast.

Great location, just straight down from the station.
    • Quadruple Room

Great location, just straight down from the station...less than 10 min walk. We didn’t need teams at all as it’s so central. Staff were great and our room was big and spacious for 4 of us. We loved the breakfast too. Thank you 😊

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Beautiful hotel !
    • Double or Twin Room

Nothing to pick on it was all great !

We loved our stay, it was a lovely room that was extremely comfortable and in a great location ! The staff were friendly and we would love to stay here again on our next visit

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Great choice for a weekend break
    • Double or Twin Room

There was nothing I particularly disliked. If I was being picky I'd perhaps mention that the bath was very slow to drain, so while having a shower, I'd find myself standing ankle-deep in water. It wasn't a major issue, though. I reported it to the staff on the last day and they assured me they would get it fixed (and I'm sure they will!). Just a note for travellers who like to grab breakfast at the last minute (like me and my girlfriend): when they say breakfast is served until 10 am (10.30 at weekends), they do mean it. So if you arrive at the last minute, they will let you fill your plates but politely ask you to eat it outside the dining area (which they'll promptly close). This isn't a criticism of the hotel but something to be aware of (as some hotels are very relaxed about this sort of thing). Oh, and the coffee - if they served decent coffee at breakfast, that would earn them an extra mark at least.

Great central location - less than 10 mins walk from Centraal Station, close to a wide range of bars, restaurants, trams, coffee shops, etc. The staff were really friendly, polite and helpful, the room was comfortable and had all we needed. Decent buffet breakfast, with various meats, cheeses, eggs, cereals, etc, etc. Just a shame they don't do good coffee. It's by no means a luxury hotel and it's not especially cheap (but then nothing is cheap in Amsterdam!) but perfect for a short break.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

2 bulbs in the bathroom were not working. The light in the room was very poor and weak. Dirt and brown stain under the matrac. The carpet in the room was worn out. No refrigerator in the room.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Relaxed fun
    • Double or Twin Room

Bug bites all over legs.... rooms were really small for the money we paid

The staff are amazing very friendly andd helpful... love the location of the hotel

• Double or Twin Room

This is the second time we stay in this hotel. Location is great, super close to the train station and city center! They went out of their way to add an extra night when our accommodation in another city fell through. Friendly and very helpful staff.

Excellent stay. I would stay here again if I visit Amsterdam in the future.

Nil.

Breakfast is good and value for money. Clean towels provided everyday even if you put the 'do not disturb' sign. Good location, near to central station, away from red light district, has tram station nearby, within walking distance to Dam Square and Magna Plaza. Friendly and professional staff.

Would happily stay here again.
    • Double or Twin Room

1. There was little consistency in room size between rooms of the same standard. 2. The in room tea & coffee facility was very poor

The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

Worth another visit - maybe in the autumn or early spring.

The way the room was cleaned varied from very good down to very sketchy. ( I stayed five nights, not one).

The location was very good and the staff cheerful and helpful.

Excellent location.
    • Deluxe Double Room

The bathroom was too small.

The hotels's location is excellent. Train station is less than 5 minutes away. Main shopping street behind the hotel and Dam square is down the street just 2 min away. Very good breakfast. Clean rooms.

The staff are all lovely, welcoming and couldn’t be more...
    • Quadruple Room

The staff are all lovely, welcoming and couldn’t be more helpful. Our room was spotless, the beds were so comfy and the bathroom was huge with a great shower and bath. The view from our window was good too.

Very clean and nice hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room

Very clean and nice hotel. Rooms were clean and comfortable and looked posh. Overall in a very good location. No complaints from my stay. Booked last minute and was happy with what I got.

Rude cleaning staff......otherwise perfect.
    • Double or Twin Room

Cleaning staff was grumpy, did not speak English and was rudely kicking us out the day before our check out. Luckily the front desk staff sorted it out very quickly and we weren't bothered by the cleaning staff again.

Great location - It is very close to centre. Courteous and smiley front desk staff and restaurant staff. Clean and very comfortable beds with great comforters. Best sleep I ever had. Loved modernized showers with heated floors, new appliances and great water flow. The hotel is authentic but modernized with elevators.

Great hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

This time the beds were uncomfortable and despite wanting a double bed we had 2 single pushed together with light switches in the middle!was very annoying.

We have been here 3 times now and will come back staff are friendly, the hotel is quite and in a great position if you want shops, cafes and red light district

Alright Hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

The hotel was small, had no additional amenities. They also confused our rooms, which meant half our party had to move to another hotel.

The location is great, right in the thick of it.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Very handy location, close to public transport, easy to get...

Noises from street. My room is up at the top but in the front. Sometimes can still hear noises from trams. I am a light sleeper so woke up every now and then. The sink is on high bench top. It was uncomfortable to use.

Very handy location, close to public transport, easy to get around. Breakfasts are really good value.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Front desk staff very friendly.

I booked in this hotel twice, both times I got disturbed in the room by staff and they did not even knocked the door just opened it. First time the blankets were dirty with hairs of previous guests. Disgusting.

Front desk staff very friendly.

The location was great and the hotel was nice.
    • Double or Twin Room

One of the manger was really rude. His service was really bad. I asked for a change the staff got me the change it was a very small amount. She was a bout to hand it to me then the manger came and said no. He was shouting and saying we are not a bank.

The location was great and the hotel was nice.

A great stay in a fantastic location. The hotel may not be five star but the location certainly is.
    • Double or Twin Room

We would have liked a small refrigerator or ice bucket in the room.

The bed was lovely and comfy, especially with the blackout curtains, tempting to sleep in. The location is fabulous, only 50mtrs from the nearest tram stop and a walk to Central Station. We found the tram system very easy to navigate and the staff at the hotel could answer any questions we had. We felt safe as it is right next to the Police Station. There would be at least 50 bars, cafes and restaurants within a block.

Good location and breakfast!

The wash basin is too high and it gets really uncomfortable trying to reach while just washing your face. For this price, I didn’t expect that!

Good location and breakfast!

The room is ancient. The carpet is horrible and there was a smell of stale air. The telephone connecter was broken and the wires were exposed. I had to leave early so I ordered breakfast to take away. I didn't get much, two oranges, orange juice and two buns with ham.

The staff was friendly, the chek in and chek out were fast and efficient, the location is great. The room was on the firts floor facing the street and there was some noise but not that much.

I liked the location only.

Hotel room was terrible a very small room, there were no bell boy's to take the luggage; flies were there in the room. Please dont ruin your mood by staying here

I liked the location only. near to central station and the famous redlight along with resturants there as well.

It was in good location walking distance from anywhere you...
    • Double or Twin Room

Rooms where really really small to single beds wer pushed together for double bed should be room for person on own not a couple and price was well over priced for room €500 for to nights madness and have rent plugs irons better hotels in Amsterdam for cheaper

It was in good location walking distance from anywhere you needed to go

Enjoyed Amsterdam especially the Museums, and the canals.
    • Double or Twin Room

The area wasn't that good and was full of cheap eating places. I know it was near the Red Light District but it has become very messy and shabby.

Hotel was very near to Amsterdam Central Railway Station. Breakfast was very good.

• Deluxe Double Room

Fantastic location and wonderful staff. They were helpful in booking excursions and providing information about the city. They were accommodating with our early arrival. Breakfast was nice.

One of the best stays in Amsterdam
    • Double or Twin Room

Everything was good only one small comment about the shower handle, very very sensitive, one small move and the water changes temprature so fast, thus having to move it every 40 sec to ur prefered temp

I liked the staff all are helpful especially the guy at the night shift after 12 pm, always smilikg and remembering us and helping us with the coffee machine. 😄

great location
    • Quadruple Room

internet was not working in our room most of the time, only one toilet in the lobby

great location in the city center and very close to the train station, very friendly staff, comfortable rooms, good breakfast

Very nice healthy & good size breakfast.
    • Double or Twin Room

Small Size just-you-fit-in type rooms. Instead of providing one king size bed, we were provided with twin beds, this is wrong.

Very nice healthy & good size breakfast.

Location is everything, but comfort is important too.

The room was so small that there was no room to put a suitcase. With the suitcase open on the floor, it was difficult to slip by it to get in and out of the room. The mattress was seriously sloped from people sitting on it in the same place. A simple routine of rotating and flipping mattresses would prolong the comfort of them.

Great location and friendly, helpful staff. I rented a good quality bike for a day.

Comfortable hotel with dated rooms, great staff, great breakfast, great location
    • Double or Twin Room

The bathroom was dated, especially the bath tub - it was chipped in many places. After the fourth night, I discovered a BED BUG walking casually on top of a newly made bed. In fairness, no one had been bitten. However, once I demonstrated the bed bug (who was no longer alive) to the management, they promptly refunded me for one night and moved me to a comparable hotel across the street, covering the small price difference. To be fair: It was just a single bed bug, and I don't want to think that the whole hotel is infested... but the issue was handled very well (thanks, Michael!).

The location is great: a 6-minute walk from the Central Station and a 5-min walk to Dam Square. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The breakfast area and the breakfast were fantastic. The air conditioning was great. The mattresses were fine. The TV had many channels in many languages. When an issue arose (see "don't like"), it was handled courteously and to my satisfaction.

Great stay

Shower was too small, couldnt move much inside.

Perfect location, staff was great, vending machine inside, comfortable beds, pillows, water kettle in the room. I definetly will stay there again next time in town!

Quite a rip-off, but that's hotels in Amsterdam!
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was very small, with carpet floor. The window was old and difficult to open/close. No view, just the building in front. The ventilation in the bathroom didn't function properly. It was loud sometimes during the night, especially because of the water running down the pipelines just behind the bed. Definitely too expensive for the quality offered.

Comfortable beds and close to the station.

Location was great and staff very friendly and attentive
    • Double or Twin Room

Beds rolled to the side and there was pipes and tubing all through the corridors. Smell in room was off putting. Brought to attention of management who stated that this was routine maintenance

Location was great and staff very friendly and attentive

We had a great time in Amsterdam and the Avenue hotel was ideally located.
    • Double or Twin Room

Our special request for a room with a bath had not been seen and so we were initially given a room with only a shower. We were able to change rooms the next day

Helpful staff, very good location, reasonable breakfast, clean rooms

Adequate
    • Double or Twin Room

Room very small. We felt overpriced having just spent several days in a lovely room overlooking canal for less $, approximately 15 minutes walk away.

Well located for downtown walking access. Bed comfortable. Room very clean. Breakfast room bright. Buffet with varied choices.

Wonderful location.
    • Double or Twin Room

Could have better pillows on the beds. Shower leaked out onto the bathroom floor.

Wonderful location. Walking distance to most of the main attractions in the core area. Staff were very helpful. Surprisingly quiet at night considering the central location

Expensive, but the location and air conditioning offset the price.
    • Double or Twin Room

The bed mattress needs replacing. One side had a big slope that you might ski off and land on the floor. The bathroom is, I suppose, a modern design: the entire floor is intended to be a quarter inch deep in shower water. I'd really prefer something old fashioned that contained the water in a shower stall. The buffet breakfast was surprisingly poor, considering the price of the hotel. The scrambled eggs had been watered down, the orange juice concentrate poorly mixed in the dispenser: one side too strong the other side too weak. The bacon was heaped together under a broiler, so some parts were raw and some were burnt. The cheese slices were stuck together. The quality of the cheese was poor - and this in a cheese-proud nation!

The hotel's air conditioning was very welcome. It's the best part of the experience. The location is very central to sightseeing, some attractions within walking distance and all within reach of the tram that passes by every few minutes. The staff all speak English and all signs are in English. In other hotels, signs are generally printed in several languages for the benefit of multi-national guests. I requested, and received, a quiet room at the end of the corridor, that faces an alley, sparing us the street noise and any extra noise from guests. Peace and quiet at night are very important to us, more important than a city view.

Location location.
    • Family Room

A bit worn in places. Need to climb a very steep ladder-like stairway to second level and toilet. Not easy for old people in the middle of the night.

Location location. Breakfast was good and a good value if purchased in advance. Family room had good space and ours had amazing windows opening onto the street giving us a feel for the city when open and quiet when closed.

4 night break.
    • Double or Twin Room

Our room and bathroom was very small , badly in need of updating , 2 people couldn't pass . One small inaccessible wardrobe so you have to work out of your case for your stay . Bathroom is a wetroom so flip flops needed ! Only suitable for sleeping and then getting out for day .

Location Location Location , so central . Staff very helpful . Breakfast good .

Location and staff were excellent.
    • Family Room

Family room had steep stairs to second level and toilet. More like a ladder than stairs. Very challenging especially with luggage. Space was fine but room was worn with chipped Formica and a kitchenette with no dishes, silverware, pans or cook surface but it did have a spatula and pasta spoon?!?

Location and staff were excellent. Family room was spacious for our family of 5.

Friendly and helpful staff, comfy bed, nice room, very close...
    • Double or Twin Room

Thin walls, and the most annoying thing - changing water temperature when taking a shower, which made it a really uncomfortable experience.

Friendly and helpful staff, comfy bed, nice room, very close to the city centre.

Nice staff, room was Not ready at our arrival so the gave us...
    • Double or Twin Room

Little noisy but That's Amsterdam !

Nice staff, room was Not ready at our arrival so the gave us late check out for next Day Free of charge, excellent location

Not pleasant but Amsterdam is
    • Double or Twin Room

Bed uncomfortable, shower is very small and with the toilet. When you are taking shower water is all over the floor. The corridor is not level dangerous to walk if you are not aware.

Would stay at this hotel again!

My friends double room was a bit smaller and not renovated.

I originally booked a single room, on arriving it seemed smaller than I imagined. The staff were super helpful in helping me upgrade to a bigger room (at additional cost of course). Breakfast was very nice but repetitive. Staff were extremely pleasant and helpful about any questions. The double room itself was quite nice, it was renovated and the facilities were great. All in all I was very satisfied.

The breakfast was good!
    • Double or Twin Room

The shower was a bit uncomfortable and the curtain didnt help to keep the water out so there was water on the ground next to the you let everytime I showered. I had a small door I opened and it oversaw the top of the building but there were 3 parts of the building attached where people can see down and unfortunately threw their cigarettes buds out the window. Sometimes I had to close the door as lit cigarettes buds were bringing in the smell of smoke into my room. Also the computer for guests was really slow and the virus watchdog kiosk came on all the time and logged me out of the internet.

The breakfast was good! The dutch pancakes were the best. The location to central station is probably a little over 5 min walk and the red light district is around the corner. Thr staff was excellent!!! They went out if their way to help you all the time. Lisanne, Alain and the rest of the staff helped me tremendously with anything that I needed. I appreciated it very much.

Overpriced hotel, uncomfortably small room.
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was so small you could not even get your luggage around the end of the bed. The window opened only a fraction and all you could see anyway was a flat roof and air conditioning units. The staff were unfriendly and unhelpful.

Good location close to station and town. Comfortable bed.

Location, location, location

The room was a little small (but functional) and expensive (but I guess that's Amsterdam prices as this hotel was on par with similar hotels).

The location is perfect. The rooms are clean, breakfast is good and it is what I expected.

Very nice location, most of the staff were very nice.
    • Double or Twin Room

Wasn’t too clean when I arrived, had some black dirt on the bed covers. Also the bath looked really dirty.

Very nice location, most of the staff were very nice.

Great location and breakfast!

Cannot think of anything that would affect my stay.

The location of the hotel itself is a huge advantage as it is just a short walk from the central station. The room I was staying in was bright, clean and well equipped and had a comfortable bed. We had a good night sleep. The breakfast is well worth the price, nice selection and very tasty. We would stay there again!

Good value and great location!

My room was a single which was really small and hard to move around but clean. The bathroom come be update to make it look brighter.

The location is great close to everything you want to see and the main train station. The hotel is nice and has breakfast but to not over paid you must prepaid for it the night before. The staff is very helpful.

Good location close to the train station and close to...
    • Deluxe Double Room

The hallways looked a little shabby . Little bit of a dodgy area

Good location close to the train station and close to shopping district and restaurants . Really big comfortable (pillow top) bed in a big room with a clean bathroom and ok breakfast.

Staff is very friendly;

Amesterdam, as all Netherlands, is quite expensive, but the price was really high; Room is not big, so with a double bed the available space isn't much.

Staff is very friendly; Location is great: 5 minutes walk to Amesterdam Central and close to main attractions; Wifi is stable and free; Bed is confortable; Bathroom is new and big; Breakfast is really great, with lots of food;

Great, if you’re looking for the cheapest central stay

It’s cheap inside too. The mattress of the bed wouldn’t stay still. Anyways, it was the cheapest I could find other than a hostel so “it did the job”.

Can’t beat the location. And it was pretty cheap (in comparison only).

See above.
    • Double or Twin Room

Room was small sparce, spartine looked on interior coutyard. Rooms on otherside of hall were nice with sofa and light rather than small and dark like ours The shower was VERY small and leaked out on floor. The price wa s excessive! The location was good. The viking cruise stateroom was about the same size but well designed and inviting but not yours!

Walking distance to a lot of Amsterdam atractions
    • Double or Twin Room

The elevator to the 6 floor a little slow and the beer from the coin operated machine could have been a bit colder

The hotel is typical Amsterdam style close to Central station right next door to Police station which will make it easy to find walking from the station. On entering the staff are friendly and very helpful. First impressions the hotel looks small from the outside but once we received our key to the 6 floor we found it larger than what it was. Our room was small but adequate with a nice shower and toilet, perhaps a little need of a spruce up but good enough for the price. Breakfast was included and could not fault it, another good point, you can walk almost every where in central Amsterdam. also recommended for those catching a cruise, it is a easy 20 minute walk with cases to either river or ocean cruises

Unfriendly staff! Ruined the experience really.

The unfriendly staff not welcoming at all. You get a discount with the parking down the road but they need special card for it which they had run out when we checked out. And we had to walk up and down the street to a staff member to then be told you have to pay up front full amount and email the receipt and we will refund so let’s see how long it takes for that!

Comfy beds. Bathrooms nice

Good value and a great location for travellers on a budget...

Second time I have stayed here in 6 months...reasonably priced for a slo traveller.

Quiet room, hotel in a great location. Only a few steps to tram stop and less than a 10min walk to railway station, many local restaurants to enjoy.

Good Overnight accomodation
    • Deluxe Double Room

The rooms were extra small but for the overnight it was okay

The location was perfect because we did an overnight from Paris and the train let us out literally 2 blocks away from the hotel.

So convenience and comfortable.

Most of Television program is in Dutch , should have English version/and subtitle.

Breakfast is really good. Location is so convenience. Service is really good. Everyone at the reception is so nice and very helpful.

Clean, great breakfast, safe,great location, very helpful...

Very, very, very small room. Bathroom was part of the bedroom. Noisy, I could hear conversations and a lot of door slamming.

Clean, great breakfast, safe,great location, very helpful and friendly staff

Great stay again!

Bathrooms are small

This is my 2nd stay at Avenue Hotel and again I couldn't fault it. Very cosy, pleasant staff and a wonderful breakfast. I will be staying again :-)

Good location.

Small bedroom and small wet room. Only one bedside table. Poor lighting in room. Croissants only available on certain days.

Good location. Comfortable beds. Pleasant and helpful staff.

Wonderful hotel, wonderful city, lots to see and do all nearby

Check in could have been smoother and earlier, we didn’t get into our room till after 3 pm

Towels were very soft! Surprisingly quiet for where the hotel is located

Wonderful experience

The small circular flight to our room was tricky. I just took my time and they were fine. They were part of the charm.

Staff were friendly. Location excellent and breakfast plentiful

The entrance and hotel were nice, and the staff were friendly.
    • Double or Twin Room

The shower in room 115 wasn’t good as it flooded easily. We had to stop by putting down towels! We should have the choice of going up or down by a lift or stairs, as the stairs were for emergency only.

The bed was comfortable. At first they put us in a small room (309) which was unsuitable if you stay more than a night, but they were good to move us to a better room (115)! Cooked breakfast was quite boring. No marmalade.

Great place to stay at Amsterdam with a perfect location.

The room is a bit small, but comfortable.

The location is very strategic for the City's main sites. It's a 10 min walk from Central station & all the restaurants, cafes & shops are placed across the hotel.

Was perfect come the end
    • Double or Twin Room

The first room we were given was awful... and the staff at breakfast was very rude

When we arrived the room was terrible... spoke to reception staff they gave us another room what was so nice... micheal the reception staff was brillant... an asset to your company8

Overall the pluses outweigh any negatives as the staff really makes up for it all.
    • Quadruple Room

There is an overwhelming smell of air freshener in lobby that would knock you out...that horrible taxi air freshener. Please do away with that. The hotel is obviously very popular as the location brilliant so maybe an investment in updating the property/rooms? The quadruple room was perfectly sized but at over 300 euro a night, I was expecting a tad more.

The staff were incredibly helpful, cheerful and patient. The location is second to none with the Central Station for trains, trams, buses and boat cruises minutes away.

The staff was extremely friendly, always available at the...
    • Double or Twin Room

The staff was extremely friendly, always available at the front desk and willing to help us with any doubts we had about the hotel and getting around the city. The location is great, everything is nearby.

Do not stay here.
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was not great, horrible beans, no sausage, selection was ok but quality of food not great. room was extremely small and very warm, really hard to sleep there, bathroom was very small as well with no fan so felt like being in sauna. View from room terrible. In general we felt like being in a cage. In general not what photos were showing, a way to expensive plus we had to pay extra for late check out (on top of sky high rate for this tiny room), I only stayed for one night, it was emergency accomodation. Would not recommend.

Staff was friendly. Location is good enough.

Browse Avenue Hotel traveller photo gallery