Reviews of Bastion Hotel Bussum Hilversum 3 stars

Struikheiweg 3, 1406 TK Bussum, Netherlands

#2 of 2 hotels in Bussum

• Comfort Twin Room

No elevator available but just one upper floor. Some days too expensive. Smoking room available - good for smokers but still the door is always open and you can smell easily the smoke.

I booked twice this hotel. There were some differences between the first room I booked and the second one. For sure the second one was much more beautiful than the first. Hotel room clean and the hotel itself located in front of the train station Bussum-Zuid which is roughly 20min from Amsterdam Centraal. The hotel is appenrently calm and the station in front is not noisy. Room with minimum standard of comfort reached. Late check out : 12pm

• Comfort Twin Room

All doors (rooms and hallway) have doorpumps that slam the doors shut. This woke me up several times in the middle of the night and again several times in the early morning.

• Comfort Twin Room

Beware that Amsterdam region travel card does NOT cover trip to Bussum-Zeid (no matter what guys in arport are teelling you). So with Amsterdam region travel card you could travel up to Weesp station - and that need to purchase a separate ticket witch costs EUR 3,70 return. I highly recommend you to consider that information while considering if purchase of Amsterdam region travel card. Also staff provides a really good service but at least one girl at reception did it with such boring and demotivated approach - like I have stopped her from doing other good things.

• Comfort Twin Room

Renovation of premises at the moment i stayed nobody said about.

Place needs description pointing it's near railway station, coz google shows you need to walk away from there for 4 min

• Comfort Twin Room

The stuffy smell of smoke at the reception and restaurant area, which made us prefer to eat elsewhere. Rooms are small and shower is particularly small. Had to ask for refill of water, coffee, cups and toiletpaper.

Location right next to Bussum-Zuid station. Fridge in room. Friendly and professional staff. Clean rooms, comfy bed.

• Comfort Twin Room

The bar closed at 11:30 and we arrived at 12:30 and were not able to get a drink. There was a drinks vending machine but they could not change our notes for change, to use the machine. The following morning we arrived at breakfast at 09:30, there was still one hour of breakfast left but there was no bacon, suasages etc and when I enquired, I was told that the breakfast had been already used.

• Deluxe Twin Room

We had a laundered but heavily stained towel in our bathroom (how can this go unnoticed?). Had to fetch toilet roll from reception. At 8.30am on Saturday (90 minutes before the end of the breakfast service) there were no boiled eggs left and we were simply told 'the early risers have eaten them all'. Ditto croissants at 9am on Sunday morning. Boiling more eggs for the rest of the guests apparently wasn't an option, even if at least 10-15 more guests arrived for breakfast after we did. There was no black tea available, only green tea or fruit tea to choose from. Breakfast felt overpriced for these reasons.

We'd asked for a quiet room, and were allocated one. Despite being very close to a small train station, the hotel is quiet anyway. The curtains blocked sunlight very well which was great. Ample parking too, including a secure area (not really needed around here but good to know if you want extra peace of mind). Access was very easy both by car and train. Staff is friendly and always around. Short walk to local shops and restaurants, of which there are plenty nearby. Lovely nature walks on the doorstep and great cycling of course. Comfortable room.

• Deluxe Twin Room

There is weed smell everwhere even though smoking is not allowed.

Facilities are great with an excellent wifi. I also liked the location, which is infront of a train station.

• Deluxe Twin Room

We had a really superb view in front of the ... local graveyard. I am not joking. TV had the external input disabled. Why? We could not use our TV stick to watch Netflix. WiFi connection was super slow and laggy. There were 2 big black smudges on the ceiling, which I preferred to ignore and not investigate further.

Hotel staff was nice and friendly. There was free parking in front of the premises.

• Comfort Twin Room

THE ABSOLUTE LIKE OF INTEREST AND PROFESSIONAL SKILL OF THE STAFF WELCOMING THECUSTOMER AT TIME OF BOOKING AT THE DESK OR ARRIVAL TO CHECK INN. NEED TO IMPROVE A LOT IN THAT AREA

THE CONFORT AN PROXIMITY OF THE STATION

• Comfort Twin Room

A little renovation wont do any harm. On my first night's stay, the sheets smelled like someone had just got up and left the room. I also find it strange that on checking out, I was not handed any receipt. And as of today, I have not received any payment confirmation of my stay.

• Comfort Twin Room

We have stayed at this hotel many times and sadly we have noticed that standards there are not as high as they were. There was no freshly cooked omelette this time and there was only one member of staff on duty during the breakfast and checking out rush. He was very good but I'm sure he would have appreciated some help.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Disappointing breakfast, supposed to be good, but lazy worker: coffee machine with milk not working (half an hour to sort it out, thanks to the Reception Desk Manager who came to show him how...), no cutlery available, almost no glasses... And the excuse from the waiter was: "There is not so many people in the hotel this week-end"... (which should mean that it's easier to make your job properly, no???)

Comfortable beds, and very nice Reception Desk workers. Helped me to solve a safe issue: careful when you push those little doors on those little safe, the big wheel to close them is sometime a bit loose and can turn and close by itself when you push the door...

• Comfort Twin Room

The room are good for an overnight stay but less suited for longer stays as the bathroom is tiny with only limited shelf space. Sharing it with a partner for more than one night could end up being a relationship killer ;)

Clean rooms and a convenient location next to the railway station and a parking area with camera surveillance. Even though I had a ground floor room facing the station I had little disturbance from the noise and the airco is good enough to not have to open windows. Very friendly and helpful staff. Wifi speed was very good. Two complimentary small bottles of water and a working mini-bar fridge was very convenient.

• Comfort Twin Room

Dusty room with soap of previous visitors still in bathroom. The room is very small.

Location is perfect, you have a small fridge, car parking and staff was good.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Comfort Twin Room

The room was very clean, but unfortunately the rubbish from the previous customer was still in the bin.

The relaxed atmosphere in the lobby area was a plus, the free welcome drink well appreciated.

• Comfort Twin Room

- Very small bathroom - Too expensive for 'what you get' - Noisy; close to railway. Lot of sound from closing doors etc.

Location; close to railway station

• Comfort Twin Room

Normally I have no problems at the hotel but this time , while the room had clearly been cleaned, no one had spotted that the previous guests had left some empty brown paper shopping bags and a bag containing a box of juice, milk and an orange. These were in the wardrobe.

The hotel is very convenient for the railway station and the breakfast starts early . There is plenty of parking if traveller needs it

• Comfort Twin Room

a bit expensive for a place just to sleep (it has no facilities at all).

Good location (for the area and for a business trip). Just in front of Bussum-Zuid station

• Comfort Twin Room

Breakfast was the highlight of the morning! Eggs and omlettes were made fresh right in front of you! Great lokation just in front of the train station.

• Comfort Twin Room

We discovered a dirty knife on the chair in the room also the bedside lamp was covered in dust and the waste paper bin rubbish bag was left on the table on the second day of our stay, these issues were brought to the attention of the staff who were dismayed at this. Photographic proof was also shown to the staff. The issue was dealt with and a complimentary breakfast was given and to our surprise a bottle of wine was left in the room.

• Deluxe Twin Room

The restaurant was quite expensive meaning a short walk to Bussum is needed if you want good food at a decent price

Great value accommodation adjacent to train station and a short ride into Amsterdam. Bussum itself is a nice town with good restaurants, bars and shops. The room was large and comfortable.

• Deluxe Twin Room

A large but a quiet restaurant and had run out of the one thing we wanted. If we could have been told in advance that would be great. Other restaurants were a trek.

Outside the station with excellent links to Utrecht and Amsterdam. We spent one day in each.

• Comfort Twin Room

Thought breakfast was a little. It expensive considering what it was. I know it was a buffet but I didn't necessarily want/need a lot. Some days I had a quassaunt and some fruit and paid 13.50 euros. There was also always flys around the food.

Friendly staff, really nice bathroom, free wifi

• Comfort Twin Room

Long walk into centre of Bussum for restaurants, shops etc, but doable. Bedside lights over the bedhead were made of metal with sharp corners.

Clean and comfortable. Convenient access to railway station across the road and secure car parking at rear.

• Deluxe Twin Room

The bar and restaurant were far too small and not very relaxing. The carpets and decor in the halls were in need of a good clean/replacement.

Access to the train network was excellent and the room was quiet, spacious and comfortable.

• Comfort Twin Room

Breakfast is too pricy, so we didnt choose it.

Nice and tidy Hotel, immediate access to train station, with direct link Amsterdam centraal, very useful for tourists to Amsterdam. Hotel offers fenced parking area. Quiet. Day return ticket is 11 EUR, ticket vending machine accepts credit and ec cards

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Comfort Twin Room

poor rooms, only twin beds. Price is ok but for E20 more you stay in the excellent Jan Tabak Hotel in Bussum.

Next to the train station is convenient, but thats all.

• Comfort Twin Room

The bathroom was really small. I barley had space to move. The sink was even smaller I could hardly wash my hands or face without water getting everywhere. They don't even provide wash cloths.

Poor customer service. They say they won't charge your card when you reserve a room but that's a lie. You can't cancel or get a refund if you stay one night. Well that's what the receptionist said while being rude. I will never go back there.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Modification of the booking was problematic and the staff was a little confused, breakfast was poor for the price (14Eur). However the hotel lacks character, basic chain looks without any atmosphere.

The room was clean and comfortable, bathroom was nice and spacious, parking was easy even for a van, hotel is close to the station.

• Deluxe Twin Room

I was disappointed that several days in a row there was no bacon at all at breakfast; when I asked I was told that indeed there was none and they weren't sure if there was going to be the next day. Also, I prefer natural yoghurt, but that wasn't always available. Staff were very friendly and efficient, but at times they seemed a little thin on the ground and though they tried hard, they couldn't always keep up. It was a pity - for us inconvenient - that the phones in the rooms could not be used to phone out, and that any incoming calls for us couldn't be connected to the room. It was appreciated that staff took messages, which understandably they couldn't guarantee to get through) and that a few times I was allowed to make a free national call from the hotel phone. As is my experience in other hotels where I try to help avoiding unnecessary washing of towels; house staff tend to fold the used towels up again, meaning that the guests do not know anymore which was which, or towels are replaced anyway, which defeats the object. I wish there was a satisfactory solution for that. What I did find really annoying is that part way through our stay, without warning our room key was disconnected. When I enquired, I was told that it is hotel policy that the room account can not run over a certain amount, a point we had reached. During our absence they had tried to take money from the UK credit card I had used to secure the booking. This had not worked, so they had stopped access to the room. Of course, I did make the necessary part-payment immediately.

Our room was a good size, as was the bathroom, which was much better than a previous time when we had a standard room at the same hotel with a very small shower room. It was very handy to have the fridge in the room! There was generally a good choice of breakfast items, hot and cold. Restaurant facilities available till 10pm Secure free car parking. Location next to railway station for easy transport, when a car journey was not necessary.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Hmm maybe I would place something like little carpetn on the ground in bathroom , when you go out from bath tub its very slippery...

Very good place just 3 min from main train station. With nice open terase where you can sit whenever you're wish and drink or smoke. Nice place where they serve meals and safe locked parking place for car or bike.

• Comfort Twin Room

cleanliness !!! This is probably the reason that I will no longer stay at this hotel

We would enjoy are stay much more if the room was clean. Difficult to imagine that hotel can rent out such a dirty room and dirty bathroom to a guest. I saw now that I am not the first who is complaining so it is about time hotel respond to the guest dissatisfaction

• Comfort Twin Room

Outdated facility. Starting with a very dirty carpet in the hallway. Room floor is dirty and while pushing to beds together (which I requested upfront, but which could not be arranged), there was trash under the bed. The bed itself was hard and there was no cover under the sheet. So you almost sleep directly on an old matrass. I did not expect a big room or any luxury, but I expect at least a good bed and clean room. For the high price I have paid, the low service you and the dirty room you get, this is a hotel I would not recommend to anyone.

Location is good if you come by stop-train

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Comfort Twin Room

Cannot think of anything. The rooms are simple but have all you need.

Hop on the train across the street and get off in Amsterdam Central. So convenient. Free parking. Wifi in the room. We stay here every time we come to Holland.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

• Comfort Twin Room

Dated decor. Cleaner forgot to replace towels and toiletries on one day, despite removing the old ones.

Spacious compared to the equivalent room in a more modern city-centre hotel. Large bathroom with bath and shower. Convenient location for the train station. No noise from railway (though I was on the opposite side of the building).

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

• Comfort Twin Room

besides the stink of sweat of the ones that cleaned the room that lingers inside your room even when they are gone so you have to open the windows in middle of the winter, the restaurant always missing something from the menu, and not having even a thermometer in the first aid kit, the security is non existent. Someone broke into my room from the window and stole my Mcbook air and several other itmens which gathered 1,200 euros, plus medication that I needed. The hotel didn't take any responsibility whatsoever and we had the worst experience I can think of. Oh! and besides the smoke detectors must not work because the hallways always smell of cigarettes and marihuana. So, if you want to have a nice time, please do not go there.

Nothing at all. Its a hell hole.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

• Deluxe Twin Room

On New years eve we were enjoying the fireworks in amsterdam and someone broke the window and steal things from my room, including my MacBook Air, my medicines and clothes. The hotel of course didnt pay for anything and just offered us free breakfasts(so in total like 52 euro reparation?) , for more than 1,200 euro loss. The cleaning ladies smell AWFUL. They truly stink. They smell like sweat, a lot, and the stink stays in the room, its really bad. You have to open windows in winter to get rid of the smell. People smoke inside the hotel and the corridors smell like marihuana and nicotine. The restaurant is always missing something. If its not the pasta, is the coca cola, or they mix your orders and just serve you whatever. My mother has hypertension problems and they didnt have a blood pressure measuring machine, and I got a terrible fever after that and they didnt "find" the thermometer at first, when i called reception a second time, they told me they didnt even own one for safety measures. Please never take a kid to that hotel, if they get sick you dont even have a thermometer to meassure the fever. It was hell. The hotel manager sent us a letter... in dutch, which basically said that he was sorry but that they wouldnt do anything about it. Then we went to The Alfred Hotel in Amsterdam and it was amazing thankfully, but Bastion was the worst nightmare ever.

3 of the receptionists were nice.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

I would have rated this hotel as 10 but sadly let down by poor housekeeping. Room was vacant between 11am - 3pm with hanger on door requesting room to be cleaned but it was ignored and room was left dirty.

Comfortable friendly hotel with good facilities in a good location. Close to local shops and train station but still in a peaceful location. Ideal for both the business traveller and tourist. Night security and gated secure free parking.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

Staff had no local knowledge, which is a shame.

Price, comfort, location and easy parking. It is walking distance to shops and restaurants and ample parking. It is next to train tracks but noise does not bothering even with the rooms facing the tracks.

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

Shower could have been better, but still ok.

Hotel was clean, comfortable, quiet and relaxing. Open the window in the morning and you can listen to the birds singing. Railway station conveniently located opposite with direct links to Amsterdam and Utrecht. Ample parking and private secure parking available.

Smal cola

Big stik good room

• Comfort Twin Room

- Mattresses were very soft for me.

- Shower had not enough place for 2 :)) but nice hot water with good pressure. - Room size was OK.

none

the general environment ("Bussum heide")

• Comfort Twin Room

Everything was nice. Nothing bad.

• Comfort Twin Room

the service is good but without smile

the bed was comfort

• Comfort Twin Room

lack of variety in meals

close to train

• Deluxe Twin Room

Room view to a cemetary. Long corridors to walk, 5 doors to open, stairs to rise.

Unfriendly staff

smoking longe

• Comfort Twin Room

The cleaning of the bathroom The shelves where the towels are on are to high for short people

• Comfort Twin Room

Dinner was poor, the room was noisy.

Room smell.

Bed too soft

Good location and very nice staff!

Neatness & efficient friendliness

Big parking 24 hours.

• Comfort Twin Room

Check in staff could use some costumer service training

Local

• Comfort Twin Room

I didn't like bed is soft and small

• Comfort Twin Room

public toilet of hotel .. toilet Seat was broken and was not very clean

offer to make us an omelet

Staff and location

• Comfort Twin Room

The lady in the reception was unreasonably very rude?

• Deluxe Twin Room

Room too hot, difficult to get air conditioning to stay on.

Very friendly -this was a return visit for us.

• Comfort Twin Room

If they had switches or adapters that usually travellers need.

Value for money

• Comfort Twin Room

Very small room, not like other bastion Hotels, and very small bathroom, not ergonomic at all:-(

Clean, tea/coffee in the room

• Comfort Twin Room

The train station is just 50 meters away. Amsterdam Central Station is 28 minutes away by train.

• Comfort Twin Room

The staff were great especially the over night manager Brian.

• Comfort Twin Room

room was a little on the small sizeenj

secure car parking

• Comfort Twin Room

The staff it's nice and quiet and close to my family

• Deluxe Twin Room

Easy to reach, need to travel to Studio 21 in Hilversum and this is just 1 train stop from that

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Comfort Twin Room

Rooms were very small and you get a minimum of towels.

• Comfort Twin Room

No plug in the basin and we only get one after asking twice. Very veey small room for tourists suitcases and small bathroom.

• Comfort Twin Room

Comfort it's location was great

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

No complaints.

• Deluxe Twin Room

The staff was very helpful and access to the train was very nice.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Comfort Twin Room

-Most of the staff are not helpful -Housekeeping was bad

Only the location from the train station

Browse Bastion Hotel Bussum Hilversum traveller photo gallery