Reviews of Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Noord 3 stars

Rode Kruisstraat 28, Amsterdam Noord, 1025 KN Amsterdam, Netherlands

#319 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

• Comfort Twin Room

This is the most I've ever paid to stay in a hotel and the standard of the rooms was very poor. I usually stay in Travelodge or Premier Inn hotels in the UK (usually for 30-40% of the price paid for this hotel) and their standard of comfort is higher. Brushing your teeth or having a shave using the sink requires extreme precision, there's about 6 inches to aim for. The shower was weak. The beds are OK. The TV had no volume. It would have been an OK place to lay your head for £50 or so. But at these prices we expected much better.

The staff were very friendly, really nice people.

• Comfort Twin Room

The place is rather smelly due to old carpet. The air conditioning was barely working on my first night and completely broken on the second. There were 30 degrees in Amsterdam that weekend. I have asked a member of staff to change my room but he said he couldn't do that at night. He was sweating in my room while he was saying that. After having a terrible night, I have asked the hotel to refund at least my second night. They ignored my first three emails and when I contacted them again through the Booking.com customer service, they only offered me a breakfast voucher... considering that I will never stay at a Bastion hotel again, of course I declined the offer. Eventually, Booking.com offered me a partial refund and apologised on their behalf. I think it was very unprofessional of them not to offer me a refund as they were not able to give me a room with all the facilities I had paid for, especially on a really warm night. I will never stay at a Bastion hotel again.

The hotel is ok and compared to other hotels in Amsterdam is not too expensive. The location is not great but it is well connected to the centre via bus.

• Comfort Twin Room

The location is great if you travel by car as there is a large parking area (free). The bus to the city center leaves just outside and takes you to the central station in 10 minutes. The rooms were very nice with a desk, little fridge (very nice in the warm weather) and TV. Overall the hotel was very quiet and easy to sleep in (much more difficult in the busy and loud center). Breakfast was also more than satisfying, I would definitely stay again.

• Comfort Twin Room

There was nothing not to like.

I rate the staff 10/10 at this hotel. Travelling from the UK on business I forgot to pack my adaptor to charge my phoned. UI asked at reception and they had no adaptors BUT the receptionist instead went to her car and lent me her charger instead. She didn't need to do this but I really appreciated it. Now when looking at business travel in Holland I will check Bastion first as I'm confident about this hotel group. I would strongly recommend.

• Deluxe Twin Room

There could be a little more lighting over the full length mirror.

All of the staff that I spoke to while I was there were helpful and approachable. I was staying in a recently refurbished room and on my first night found a small leak under the sink. I reported it that evening and it was fixed first thing the following morning. The cleaning staff did a great job and my room was always cleaned immaculately. The hotel isn't too far from the town centre and you can catch a number of buses from Centraal Station that stop very close by (2 minute walk from the hotel). Alternatively, you can take an approximately 20-25 minute walk (or roughly 15 minute bike ride) to the ferry port and get the free ferry across to Centraal Station.

• Deluxe Twin Room

This was a lovely hotel. Staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel was very clean and a short bus run from the central station. I would defs recommend this hotel for a city break. It had good size room which was clean and tidy. And was great as I was looking a hotel with 2 single beds.

• Deluxe Twin Room

There were still works going on 2 doors away from us, which started by 7:30 am most mornings, would be been nice to know before booking.

The room was great, brand new. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Deluxe Twin Room

You don't get much for your money in Amsterdam. We will not return there, city is too crowded. I would recommend looking for a place outside the city , but on the rail or bus line. They run frequently, get you in the city fairly quickly, and you will find better accommodations for your money. The Bastion Hotel was very basic, not very clean and not worth the price.

Parking was available and free.

• Deluxe Twin Room

We had a very unfortunate experience a couple of days because of renovations above and beside our room. My husband was meeting me at the hotel after a business trip, and was exhausted after his flight from East Africa. He could not rest on the day he arrived because of constant construction noise. We couldn't have a shower because the hot water would not come on, and then we lost power , only to our room. This room, although finished should never have been rented out because of these problems. there were no other rooms available at any Bastion. We feel that the Bastion management was not helpful to our situation. Fortunately, the power and hot water returned in about two hours, and we could leave for the day. We could not recommend this location to anyone under these circumstances. It made our stay that week very stressful.

The staff were all very helpful at this location. It was easy to travel by bus into Amsterdam central. I appreciated having a computer to use to communicate with family as I did not bring a tablet or phone. The beds were comfortable.

• Comfort Twin Room

The placement is quite but not very convenient for tourists. It's 10-15 minutes by bus to Central Station. The breakfast is a little below standards and bathroom equipment is too minimalistic.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Cups, bowls and cutlery ran out in a busy period at the breakfast bar.

The receptionist was really happy to welcome us and described the room and facilities perfectly.

• Comfort Twin Room

The facilities in our room were very basic. One pillow per bed. Tiny cups and minimal bathroom stuff ie towels shower gel etc.

The room was a lot more basic then we expected. Although it was very accessible on public transport which was great.

• Deluxe Twin Room

The building renovation on early morning making a lot of noise, the fact that we have to change of room during our stay due to the renovation. The hairdryer wasn’t working and no solution was offered.

• Comfort Twin Room

Racist staff Racist staff during the day attacked my room saying i have 3 people inside and i was by myself. She was rude and racist muim staff at night didnt want to give coins to get beer

• Deluxe Twin Room

Lovely room spacious very clean ..great location bus right outside of hotel buses every couple of mins to center .had an amazing time will be returning

• Comfort Twin Room

Access with bags to the first floor was not easy

There was a mix up with the booking and the staff went to extra lengths to solve my problem which was greatly appreciated, great parking just outside the building and easy access into the city

• Comfort Twin Room

No shops or restaurants nearby. Would liked if breakfast was included in price. Would have been more worth it. Fridge was pretty loud and lights were noisy - room 22. Also windows let the cold and wind through.

Not far from the City Center - great walk ca 3,2 km. Pretty quiet and clean room. Service was great in reception - very good English and friendly people there. Good that the hotel had free parking!

• Deluxe Twin Room

The bed was extremely comfortable. The staff were very friendly and were happy to book a taxi for us. The breakfast was splendid. A very enjoyable stay

• Comfort Twin Room

A bit overpriced considering the location and facilities. Breakfast was extra and expensive.

Rooms were ok, although we were right by the entrance so heard everyone coming in at night.

Rooms are quite small.

Staff was excellent. The hotel is basic but adequate and good value for money given steep prices in Amsterdam. Although it is in A'dam Noord, the location is actually quite good: quiet yet only a 10 minute bus ride from downtown (with a frequency of one bus every 5-10 minutes). That's quicker than from similar but much more expensive hotels in main Amsterdam.

Only the place was 5 Km faraway from city centre and the bed was not one piece

I liked the hotel and the staff very helpful and friendly there are also smoking room with beliard and books and TV and internet computer

• Deluxe Twin Room

A great place to wind down and relax in a quiet atmosphere and away from the city hustle. My room was very clean and with very comfortable beds. The daily room cleaning was excellent. I also appreciated greatly that they replenished the tea & coffee supplies in the room daily (at no additional cost).

• Comfort Twin Room

Smell: Hallway smelled like smoke (this was the only downside), but to be honest the actual rooms didn't smell at all.

This hotel is a pretty good choice for a short stay. I was in Amsterdam for a 5-day business trip, and this was exactly what we needed: Cleanliness: The hotel was very clean and neat. Size: Rooms are small, but I did not feel boxed in at all bec the windows really helped. Location: The hotel is ideally located 200 meters (2 min walk) from a bus station, so it was very easy to get around. Price: I felt like it was great value for money. Food: We didn't eat at this hotel, so I'm not sure what the service is like, but there is a vending machine in the stairwell, which was always useful for some midnight snacking. All in all, great value for money. :)

• Comfort Twin Room

No closet space for our belongings - fine if you travel with a backpack. Bathroom too small but this is Holland after all. Bathroom sink inaccessible. My husband could not lean over in the shower to pick up the soap after he dropped it. Some pillows should be replaced

• Comfort Twin Room

Very overpriced,room wasn't too clean,dirty walls,bathroom is poorly designed,looks a lot nicer in pictures,taxi was 20-30 euro to central Amsterdam,not a great hotel.

There was a free pool table and complimentary water.bus stop out side hotel,handy.

• Deluxe Twin Room

The bed was dirty, the room was unclean, staff was not nice, there was not enough light in the room.

The location only 10 minutes from the center by bus ; the parking for the car in front of the property.

• Comfort Twin Room

room and hall cleanliness could have been better: bathroom sink was not cleaned every day; room was not vacuumed every day; mattress sheets were not fitted and they were not tucked in every day. A number of hall lights were burned out and were not replaced in the two weeks we were there.

location and restaurant in facility

• Comfort Twin Room

The hotel was what i expected for the price but overall was good. The only problem we had was getting him from central, it was quite a walk from the ferry

• Comfort Twin Room

Not suitable for tourists who want to explore Amsterdam. Nothing is in walking distance. You need to walk to get an infrequent public bus to get to the station (from where of course transport is easy)

• Comfort Twin Room

Comfy clean spacious room, nice bar and restaurant, pleasant staff and very cheap. Its a little out of town but its quiet and the bus stop is 100m away and takes you straight to central station and a taxi back after midnight was €15. Far cheaper to do this that stay in hotels in the center. on-site Car parking is free!!!!

• Comfort Twin Room

i did not like the fact that the cleaners only change the bed sheets and did not clean the room because the only clean it when the guest check out I did not like this and since i was travelling with my baby i would have preferred a daily clean up of the room so i spoke with the manager and she arrange a cleaner for the last couple of days of my stay

Nice breakfast friendly staff also nice room

• Comfort Twin Room

The bed was incredibly uncomfortable, I had back pain for all the subsequent days. We had a room on the ground floor and I could barely sleep since there were doors slamming all the time. One towel has been missing Every day despite our requests to the reception. Room was not dirty but surely not very clean, curtains and walls were stained. The cleaners didn't even change the shower gel, 2 mini bottles for 2 people for 3 nights!

Not much. Price was not bad and it wasn't far from the center, although the area horrible

• Comfort Twin Room

Room was a little smelly, but nothing drastic and we have had worse this trip.

Location is north of city centre, an easy walk or 10 minute drive from Eye museum or Central Station ferries. Parking is easy and no height restrictions, so good for campers, though maybe busy during work hours as shared with office buildings nearby. Plenty of English speaking channels on the telly!

• Comfort Twin Room

This property was in a lovely location so quiet and peaceful at night. Staff were lovely and rooms were cleaned everyday. Room were lovely .Bed was very comfy bathroom was small but very nice and clean It was about a 15 min walking distance to the back of central station the ferry will take u across the canal or u can get the bus outside the hotel

• Comfort Twin Room

No light inside bathroom and it is too small. There isn't kleenex in room 67 that i take it.

. The hotel place it near bus point Bed is comfortable

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

• Comfort Twin Room

one of the resptionist wasnt helpfull with agrassive attitud but the rest of the staff are super

very good location as it 5 min by bus to center station and the area around the hotel is very safe and it 1 min waliking from the bus staion the rooms are super clean

• Comfort Twin Room

The taxi driver took the long way from the train station and charged us some 41 euros and accepted 35 euros after long discussion. He claims that the tunnel is closed and this was why the ride cost is high. Upon checking with the hotel receptionists (one receptionist was honest and did not make any comment) the other was discussing with the driver in a foreign language and convinced us that the cost is fair. Any way, the taxi driver made a racist comment of where my son and I come from. Further info on the taxi driver and hotel receptionist are available .

• Comfort Twin Room

The corridor where our room was in was uncomfortably smelly, also we found cigarette buds under our bed and somebody spilled coffee on the table that ran down the desk and had never been seen or cleaned before. The bathroom had a glass door, which we thought was interesting, but in the shower some of the material for the fixtures was missing. We thought the price of the hotel was a wee bit too high, but we booked the room last minute, which is probably the reason why.

We really enjoyed the beds which were very comfortable! There was a little fridge in the room that we used for some of our groceries and there was free water, tea and coffees available. The bathroom seemed quite modern, but lacked a bit of care. We loved the check out time (12pm) and the onsite parking. Also the bus stop is just 2 minutes walk away.

• Comfort Twin Room

Expensive for the location - outside the city centre. To be fair it's a very expensive city to stay in. Great as a stop over if you're driving but if you're there to visit the city centre then the bus ride is not ideal. Nothing to do nearby - shops are a fairly long walk away.

Private parking. Modern, comfortable, quiet room. Helpful staff. One of the few hotels I could find that had private parking. Bus stop to the city centre across the road.

• Comfort Twin Room

The staff were so incredibly helpful and kind. Robin and Clair were especially nice and made our stay fantastic. The location was also very good and very easy to get to the city through public transport. Will definitely be returning if we go back to Amsterdam!

• Deluxe Twin Room

No wash cloths in the bathroom - little room in bathroom to hang wet towels - bed mats & sheets kept slipping off base - very little closet space for 2 people - stingy with hangers...had to buy some - NO DRAWERS...the only hotel or motel we've ever stayed in that had no closing drawers.

Excellent location for us - bus stop a very short walk - friendly, hardworking staff

• Comfort Twin Room

Whilst being in my room in the morning, room service knocked to clean. However once I left, they didn't come back to clean my room or provide me with new towels. Had to ask for extra towels

The location was perfect! Also had a smoking room to which I didn't need to go out and smoke. Beds were comfy too, perfect onsite parking too! I arrived early and was so tired but my room wasn't ready but they let me check in early to a different room. Got wifi even in my room too! Really good service

• Comfort Twin Room

The location was a little distance from amsyerdam. However tgere was a bus stop outside hotel which takes you straight to amsterdam central station. Not a good hotel if you fancy returning to during the day for a sit down as its far from centre amsterdam

Basic accomodation. Clean and tidy rooms. Free water supplied to room everyday.

The bathroom.

The room was small but adequate. It was so badly lit, it was impossible to do any reading. The windows were a fire hazard and the bathroom was so small, even a child would have struggled.

• Deluxe Twin Room

It would have been nice if the gin was served with ice and lemon. I may have had more than one ! :)

Relaxed atmosphere and helpful friendly staff Really close to where I needed to be Great bus service straight to the centre of the city

• Deluxe Twin Room

Curtains with broken VIPs & dust bunnies & cobwebs around Hester & under loung chairs Towels removed & not replaced first day. Bins not emptied & bathroom not cleaned 2nd day. Desk tops & Bed linen clean thankfully

Staff helpful. Nice meals at restaurant though menu limited.

• Comfort Twin Room

Very friendly staff. Were nearly as delighted as I when my lost luggage turned up :). Bus Stop right next to the hotel takes you to central station in less than 10 minutes. I love the north so peaceful and pretty go explore!

• Deluxe Twin Room

Parking, lovely spacious room, good strong wifi, close to bus station-buses very regular into/out of central station! Lots of wee discount cards to use in centre.. handy!

• Comfort Twin Room

Room was clean but on all other places in hotel the doors were dirty, breakfast expensive for what we had and dinner was not quitte good eighter. There was a lot of laughing in the kitchen and staff was not serious on their job with the clients.

Free parking

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Deluxe Twin Room

the staff are so welcoming , and the location is not far from the center.near the hotel there is a bus stop and from there the city center is only 10 minutes far.the atmosphere in the hotel is so nice and the food is good,as well as it contains a billiard room for smokers.i recommend this hotel to couples and families.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Showers a little small.

Was okay really, staff are cool. Not too far from Central or difficult to figure out the buses. Rooms are just standard. A few English T.V channels. Can smoke your stuff out the front if you're into that thing.

• Comfort Twin Room

100 euro robbed out of my room by cleaning staff. I was told by assistant manager they could do nothing and were very rude about situation, that I could go to the police if i wanted!! would never in my life stay here again way too over priced for average hotel nearly 800 euro for 4 days and 100 euro robbed on me

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

• Deluxe Twin Room

Not much choice and quality on evening meals. My colleague stayed at the Bastion, Zaandaam and there the evening meal was much better. At the moment I choose not to stay because you are exploiting the prices. I will be reluctant to return to a hotel group that has such a blatant pricing manipulation policy.

Good rooms and good breakfast choice.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

• Comfort Twin Room

The male staff came across very rude and unwelcoming. There attitude towards us was incredibly unfriendly and offensive.

There was two female staff. Cheryl and medeluf who were very helpful. The breakfast chef was amazing

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

• Comfort Twin Room

The shower was built for dwarfs, the room felt it was used by lots if people for years and had not enough space for the luggages, the sink was a strip hanging out of the wall so shaving was most inconvenient.

What I liked was that it was near to where I had to be. Room had a fridge.

• Comfort Twin Room

Accusations from staff of wrongdoing. I left some clothes in my room by accident and they weren't returned, after many many calls to the unhelpful staff

Price

• Comfort Twin Room

The restaurant in the Hotel was ok but quite expansive and the Food could have been better.

The location was easily reachable by bus and the staff was super friendly and helpful. The rooms looked very nice for a 3 star hotel.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• Comfort Twin Room

We were told when we checked in that for our rate breakfast was included and then at checkout they tried to charge us $14euro per person....

Comfy beds

• Comfort Twin Room

Manager of the hotel is not professional and unkind, on arrival at the hotel the evening, the receptionist said that the breakfast is until 10 am. In the morning the hotel manager said that we werecome late because the breakfast is until 9 am, and we was at 9 h 05, although the night before told receptionist that we can have breakfast till 10 am. Never again in this hotel chain, they need to know who set to work as a manager.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

If it would cost less it would be better... The location is not super nice... Not extraordinary at all so... For a Genius traveller like me I disagree about paying so much money for a an hotel like that.

The set up is practical, staff are nice.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

Housekeeping. The linen quality was poor, I didn't like to find my bed just covered with the duvet which was small

Everything works and the staff very kind and friendly

• Reviewed: 3 December 2016

• Deluxe Twin Room

Scent of smoke on the floor (should open the doors from time to time and let in some fresh air).

Bus station to city center right next to the hotel. It was quite and comfortable. Parking free! Clean and Wifi was good.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

• Deluxe Twin Room

The car parking! Spaces shared with every other local building.

The staff were very helpful. The atmosphere in the dining and communal area was welcoming.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• Deluxe Twin Room

Massively over priced for what was on offer. For that money I would expect excellent service, a clean bathroom, faster room service ie replacing towels and coffee etc. The bar staff/waiters showed a lack of understanding on what good customer service looks like eg when they ask you "how can i help?" and you say " can I please have a menu" and the waiter carries on doing what he/she is doing and doesnt give you a menu and leaves you standing without giving you any inclination you would be helped. This happened twice.

the complimentary mineral water. There great bus connections during the day to the central train station.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

All was good.

The location to the shopping centre and transport, due to the closure of the tunnel the busses Did only go to the ferries. The food was good and the service also. Bedankt .

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

In the bathroom the hand basin was very difficult to use because of the location of the shelf above it, it was far too close.

The breakfasts were good with quite a selection to choose from

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

The sink was too small and very uncomfortable to wash my face and brush my teeth. When I been my first time here the sink wasn't so tiny, the bathroom was big enough.I think is just in this room. Under the bed was full of dust,it's like that nobody cleans with the vacuum from longtime.

Easy to get the city center in 10 min. Price is ok compared with other ones in Amsterdam. The matters is comfortable. The staff was friendly.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

Air in the room was bad. No bike storage.

Location can easily be reached by bike: you can save some money with this hotel if you rent one over a couple of days. Bus or car works as well of course.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

The washroom was not good enough. The washbasin was so small it was impossible to even wash your face without splashing water on your clothes. I have no idea why the hotel opted for this washbasin design. Similarly there was not a singe shelf in shower area to put a shampoo or soap.

The room was clean and free parking was a big plus.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

Wow. Really hated the location. It's in the middle of the suburbs in the north part of the city and it's a real challenging and time consuming trek to get to the city centre and downtown where all the action and sights are. The buses are available and there is a ferry but we had to take a taxi one night to get back since the night buses stop after 3am and resume at 6am and it was expensive (25euro) and the other night we walked 50min from the ferry dock to the hotel. So... the location is terrible if you want to spend most of your late nights in the city center.

Rooms were large, clean, and modern. Quiet as well. They only appeared to have one floor so getting to our room was going through a maze of corridors and was a decent 150m from the front desk. Really great friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

Shower pipe lose, low water pressure. A bit expensive but most lightly that's Amsterdam.

Ok hotel, good place to safely leave motorbikes as its right next to a police station.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

We were woken up on the first night to be told we hadn't paid for the second night stay so we had to leave. We had in fact paid the day before, which took the staff member a second to find out, leaving us tired and angry. The floors are never cleaned and the room was dirty. No offers to help make our experience better either, e.g discount, breakfast etc.

• Reviewed: 16 July 2016

• Deluxe Twin Room

Old depressing bulding :) Doesn't have a fridge. Very dark and depressing rooms, but I guess this is Amsterdam, with only 30 days of shunshine per year. The location is NOT in the Center of the City, but walking is doable if spending 7,5 EUR on a BUS Pass seems to expensive.

This is probably the definition of a 70s hotel, but it served its purpose well. The room was surprisingly quiet, despite the trafic outside the windows and I DO KNOW how bad it can get after my experience at the Ruskin Hotel London. So he quiteness is to be praised, but also the fact that the hotel makes you feel wellcome. The staff was nice and the room had a "welcome pack" with 2 bags of tea, 2 bags of NessCaffe, sugar, tea pot and all that's needed. Also the hotel is offering as much bottled water as one wants (in 330 ml bottles) . I asked the staff for a second access card (too keep my gadgets charging even if I'm not in the room) and they were happy to provide it. The hotel, although an old building, has been refitted well and the FREE PARKING is very good. You also get a proper bathtub which is great! You can reach the city center by foot in about 45 minutes of walking, but if you buy a 7,5 EUR One-Day BUS Pass you'll be in the Center im about 10 to 15 minutes.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

We need a Swimming Pool.

If you bought 24Hrs Green Ticket(Valid for Bus,Tram and Metro) for only 7.50 Euro at the Central Station(You can't buy this in a Tram) It's fully enjoyable with No. 33 Bus. And away from Noise, Smells and Party at Tourist Amsterdam Area, If You want to spend a Peaceful Soothing time ,This property is the Perfect Place

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

Couldn't smoke in your room

Cosy little place, hop on a bus for €2.50 and you in central Amsterdam. Cheap for the location and free parking...wiked!

Browse Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Noord traveller photo gallery