Reviews of Bastion Hotel Utrecht 3 stars

Mauritiuslaan 1, 3526 LD Utrecht, Netherlands

#27 of 30 hotels in Utrecht

No particular comments.

Convenient location with free parking. Friendly staff. Adequate services. Room as could be expected - website information is correct.

• Comfort Twin Room

Although not in the city centre, the tram ride is 10min, and the station is across the hotel. Very easy access. The room was clean and well maintained.

• Comfort Twin Room

In a desert for facilities such as shops, cafés, typically expensive breakfast for a business hotel (for those on company expenses who don't care) so we either bought groceries in town the night before or used McDonald's beside the NBC. Floor of the room was dirty, but otherwise all clean.

Good restaurant as there are few facilities nearby, excellent tram link to city centre, walking distance and tram to NBC Congrescentrum, excellent standard facilities for a budget business hotel.

• Comfort Twin Room

Breakfast was good, but not available after 9am! this meant I had to go without breakfast on my last day. I was very unamused, especially as the woman on duty seemed not to care AT ALL about this.

Breakfast was good, but not available after 9am! this meant I had to go without breakfast on my last day. Nice and close to a tramline into the centre, but equally is walkable too - BUT only once you learn the road layout.

• Comfort Twin Room

Bath room was so small. Even the wash basin was allowing to wash the face and water was felling down. No mattress in bathroom

Overall value for money, well connected with public transport

• Comfort Twin Room

Couldn’t get a double so had to make due with two twins. Far from town.

Very friendly staff. Location right off highway - but no where to walk around. Not close to town. Good breakfast and had dinner there too. Easy parking

• Deluxe Twin Room

Dusty room, small, dirty walls, price (247 Euro) for 1 night incrediblke high an incompatible with real quality. We were so disgusted by the environment that we did not take breakfast even though it was paid for

• Comfort Twin Room

The light in the bathroom was very dim (great that I didn't plan to shave that day!) Expensive ... I hope it was because of a fair in the city (very difficult to find an hotel that day in Utrecht).

The hotel was nice and close to a tram station (to reach the city center). The restaurant is good and a big plus in that area.

• Comfort Twin Room

The wi-fi is weak, but at least it works. A thin, translucent glass is the “door” between the room and the bathroom, this is not so pleasant.

Simple but nice hotel with kind staff. Ideal for sleeping here some nights. The beds were comfortable, the room was clean.

• Comfort Twin Room

Lack of plug facilities - or insufficiency. In order to use the kettle I had to disconnect the lamp or the TV.

Good staff-service in ordering taxis etc.

Misleading booking

I booked a room for 2 adults and 1 child , when we arrived at 3 o'clock in the morning , driving all the way from Dunkirk , to find out the room has only two tiny single beds and can not have anything for the child. We spent two frustrating nights , as my husband has to book somewhere else to sleep. Very disappointed !!!!

• Deluxe Twin Room

Pictures show better rooms than shown in the pictures... It is very far from downtown.

Best things were the views from window and the heating system which worked very well.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Mechanical noise drumming all night long. The air was suffocating and everything was dusty and shabby. Lampshades and table legs broken or crooked. Even the artwork on the wall was upside down.

I liked the ease of access to the highway and the free parking garage.. but that's about it.

• Comfort Twin Room

It's fenced. To enter with a car you have to press a button. Usually nothing happens, no feedback. Eventually the gate opens, maybe somebody is multitasking.

It's a nice hotel, close to a park and ride for the centre. Good facilities, hot water kettle and 2 coffees. It's fenced, you are probably safe from villans there :-)

• Comfort Twin Room

cleaning was poor.In the bathroom I found a piece of nail.Looks like someone shape his manicure but staff did'n clean properly. :( Behind the bed was spiderweb :(

As a comfort lover.The bed was very comfortable.I could sleep 12 hours.Pillows were amazingly soft and I could lost in them

• Comfort Twin Room

Bed was slightly uncomfortable this time which might be due to being in an older room. Also I chose to pay for my breakfast on arrival, but then was told I owed money for one more breakfast. I found I had paid the right amount in the first place and they dealt with the issue and refunded me straight away. To avoid confusion next time I'll pay it when I check out.

Omelettes in the morning were nice along with the extensive breakfast on offer. Staff friendly as always and reception staff were helpful.

No dislikes

A short walk around the corner from the hotel to the bus stop gets you in to the central bus station for €2.80 (bus routes 77/72/65) great city with fantastic restaurants and areas to visit.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

• Comfort Twin Room

I always like to park my car on the upper floors of a car park to prevent it being damaged. It was impossible to drive to the top storey because there was snow on the ramp. This could easily have been cleared with a few buckets of hot water as the snow had stopped the day before. The Internet was slow on the guest network. Once I used the passworded network, it was fine, but I had to contact reception to find out about this, which required me to have to walk there because I could not contact them via the phone in the room - there was no indication on the phone as to which number contacted reception. In the morning, there was no one at reception to check out and I was in a hurry. I called out a few times, but no one came. I had to leave my key card on the counter and hope that it would be found without me getting overstay charges. This was an unnecessary worry.

Had a mixed grill in the restaurant and it was excellent. The room was very nice and I had a comfortable sleep.

• Comfort Twin Room

I asked for a quiet room and I was happy that the staff put me in a far corner. However, party people on Friday night got loud and around 3a.m. the women next door had a loud and long orgasm (thanks for that whoever you were). Saturday night was better but someone was hammering away at something from the time I got in at 6pm until about 8pm. I think they were doing work in a room at the time, however, it was after normal work hours and I wasn't too happy about that. I tried to call the front desk in case someone was tapping out an SOS but my phone had no instructions on how to call downstairs or anywhere else, for that matter. Also, in the bathroom there was nowhere to put stuff in the shower except on the floor...management please buy some soap dishes! The sink in the bathroom was awkward in that the shelf above came half way out over the sink and you do not have too much room to work with when using the faucet. However bathroom was overall a very clean one.

The location was good for me because I was going to an expo in nearby Houten. However, be advised, there are no restaurants in walking distance of the hotel and the hotel restaurant charged 12 euros for breakfast which I thought was high (I had never been to Amsterdam so this may be a good rate but I've travelled a lot in Central Europe and the average is about 7-8 Euros for a similar breakfast. I had a car and there are restaurants close enough to drive to. I ate a dinner at a Greek fast food joint called Parakalo about 3kms away...very tasty! The two beautiful young ladies working the Bastion Hotel desk were very helpful and attentive. Also, there is a pool table at the entrance. Something you don't see too often anymore.

• Comfort Twin Room

On the downside, it's winter time and the room was freezing cold and the AC heater function was very noisy and not working properly. The internet was dripping all the time and not reliable. Electrical sockets next to the bed were not working.

price including breakfast and free parking was good value for money.

• Comfort Twin Room

Pillows were more like cushions and the shower was very small

It was a convenient place to stop. We were traveling on motorcycles, the hotel is very secure with electric fence and gated underground car parking. The location is in the edge of a large commercial area with furniture and home appliance stores. There's a tram station across the road so you could possibly explore further. The restaurant is good , not a massive selection but the steak was very nice but did cost €20...

• Comfort Twin Room

Staff at reception desk did not have any info about Utrecht (a simple map would have been enough) or public transports near by (just gave us a public website).

Really easy to find the place and park the car. It also have a tram station/bus station 100 m away.

• Comfort Twin Room

Price for breakfast was too high.

The room was quiet & peaceful. The sheets were clean & the bed was comfortable. Dinner was good & plentiful.

• Comfort Twin Room

The location is a bit tricky to find the first time, the train or tram or both, as one naturally will go via Utrecht Centraal... even with assistance from the information service, I managed to get on the wrong train. But, still confusing, the transport network is effective. And once you get there, tram and bus stops outside the hotel, so all good.

The staff is very friendly and helpful, as I experienced at my last visit. I just feel comfortable there.

• Comfort Twin Room

I wonder who on earth could have designed a toilet with a glass door in a non-single room. It was really inconvenient to use the sink, as there is a shelf just above it that basically makes half of it inaccessible.

The room was big enough and quiet, the wi-fi was all right.

• Comfort Twin Room

Should have asked for more pillows. Sink was too narrow. No washcloths. Staff pleasant but could have given more information on getting around area.

Generous good food. Nice shower. Excellent parking. Bike path behind and public transport across street.

• Comfort Twin Room

The size of the room is very small . The staff is not pleasant at all . The wifi is so weak and slow . And it is not suitable for people traveling without a car . If I didn't pay in advance sure I would have left. I paid 104 Euros per night and it does not worth even 50 euros

Nothing I really didn't like it at all

• Comfort Twin Room

I asked the staff to fix the air conditioning they only fixed a day before we go and they don't give you clean towel everyday and drinking materials aswell

May be the location close the town

• Comfort Twin Room

The place is located on the periphery of Utrecht close to industrial area with good connection to city centre (buses, tram, P+R). Ideal place to stay if you arrive with own/rented car. The room was clean and well-equiped. The breakfast was good with reasonable variety of meals. Recommend for business trips or shorter stays.

Choices for breakfast

We don't eat meat, it was a little limiting on breakfast choice. Meat eaters will always have choice with a vegetarian menu, so it would be good for you to weight the percentage of your choices towards this clientele. This will ensure you please all your customers. Regards, Badreldeen and Sally

• Comfort Twin Room

The English channels BBC1, 2, ITV were not working as no signal being received, :((

Easy checkin already paid on booking.com so just picked up key, no hassle nice and easy. Other hotels want you to fill loads of forms and take card impressions etc, cant be doing with the hassle.

• Comfort Twin Room

Possibly a bigger choice of evening meals.

Easy access to the centre of Utrecht and the train station. Breakfast was nice and offered lots of choice with cooked omelette, cereal, fruit and juices as well as bread and cheese. Friendly staff who were welcoming, helpful and looked after you.

• Comfort Twin Room

Hotel food a little expensive but all the meals we had were good

Travelled by motorcycle so secure underground parking very good easy access to city centre by tram ideal for what we needed

• Comfort Twin Room

Breakfast may have been well worth 12/14 euros if you like a big breakfast but not if you don't.

Good value hotel with easy transport links to city very near to hotel. Helpful and friendly staff. Free and secure parking. Great shower.

• Comfort Twin Room

For a pretty straightforward meal I got elsewhere (Sweden) much lower price, recently. The location was not bad entirely, except for weekend, when public transport was pretty bad or non-existent on the Sunday morning. What was the main reason of my discomfort, was the fire alarm which set off around 4:30 am. Nobody of the stuff was following any protocol, or dealing with us customers in pjs not knowing if their belongings are burning already. Then next night there was a huge techno festival (or maybe it was small, but super load), so again no proper sleep, since the windows were not sound proof. For a person who came to work couple of days in Utrecht, not sleeping properly all these days was very inconvenient.

The food was good quality. Pretty straight forward. The staff dealing with breakfast were super nice - really made my morning. Water and tea in the room were very nice additions too. Internet was nicely accessible, although I don't think it could handle a conference call with visuals...

• Comfort Twin Room

I traveled to Utrecht with public transport, and the hotel is a 10-15 minutes tram ride from Utrecht Central Station. Utrecht CS area is a bit of a labyrinth, and information on how to get to the hotel with public transport could be better. The connection in itself is good anyway.

Nice and clean hotel. Good breakfast buffet. Staff is very friendly.

• Comfort Twin Room

- hotel charged money from my account automaticaly 4 days before my stay, and nobody infromed me about this practice, I have prepared cash money for hotel price, which make a troubles to me after - in room was jammed sink hole in shower box, after one-two minutes showering water comes out from box and was on the floor in whole bathroom also around toiled bowel, everywhere.... realy disgusting :-( - bathroom doesn't smell well, it smells like a mildew, fungus.... - i have ordered no smoking room, staf gave to me room with only small window (approx 50cm x 50 cm) just next to the main entrance, where gests from hotel was smoking, so I have cigaret smoke in my room every evening and because such small window, it was impossible to ventilate From my point of view, if somebody stays in the hotel for 6 nights, the hotel should appreciated such quests. But from Bastion I do not have such feeling....

Location near to my job.

• Comfort Twin Room

The drive in gate requires you to push a button for them to buzz you in; The gate and button are awkwardly placed and difficult to reach. The beds are a bit on the uncomfortable side. The prices at the restaurant are on the high side and there is no other dining options within walking distance. The hotel is on the outskirts of town but being near the city tram makes things accessible.

Near the Utrecht Sneltram so an easy walk (5 minutes to tram) and ride into town. Nice and helpful employees.

• Deluxe Twin Room

VERY small fitness area. Its in a very tiny room with just three pieces of equipment and walls all around...:) not too comfortable. But I could go for a run along the river. That was nice. Also, I couldnt find any shops or restaurants or pharmacy or anything alike close to the hotel So the only option to eat is in the hotel restaurant or travel to the city...

Although the hotel is located not in the city, it can be reached by bus or tram very easily. I also walked to the hotel from the city centre. Nice staff. Nice rooms. Free parking, which important for me. All in all - very good, if you accept living a little outside of the city.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

• Comfort Twin Room

I will stay here again, but I believe the staff would benefit from a customer service training session of some kind. Many staff are cheerful and friendly. Several are not. Requests for water and service were responded to afterfinishing conversations with coworkers. My room was not cleaned when I returned back to the hotel one evening.In lieu of an apology, I was handed a stack of towels and a comment that the room problem was my fault. My sheets were never changed in four nights. Even when.your client is in the wrong, your staff should be sympathetic and deferential. My window needed repair and, once again,no apology, no action. The food was adequate, but not exceptional.

This is a great Hotel for the price. Minutes from Bastion Hotel to bus and tram. Very friendly reception

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Comfort Twin Room

I had a car load of all my possessions as I was moving house for work, the car parking is under cover, enclosed with a gate and has CCTV. Made me sleep a little easier knowing there was little chance of things being broken into!

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

• Comfort Twin Room

Dirty room not cleaned properly unfriendly unhelpful reception staff. Customers were queuing up to complain about the state of the rooms

Friendly restaurant staff

• Comfort Twin Room

Good public transportation by tram and bus almost in front the hotel to Utrecht Central Train Station and downtown ( 10 minutes).Beautiful city and close to Amsterdam,only 30 minutes by train. The hotel is in a quite location and after a busy travel day is a must. The staff was very helpful.

• Comfort Twin Room

Break fast was bad. Very less vegetables and hot food. Egg was cooked depend on request but it couldn't be served because of too much request from other customers. Washbasin was too narrow to wash face.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

• Comfort Twin Room

The gates are electrified (like in a prison) but I guess that security cares them. :D

Rooms are clean and confortable. The bathroom and the shower isn't too small (like in other structures I visited before in the Netherlands). There is a free bottle of water per person each day. I really appreciate.

• Deluxe Twin Room

The hotel although not in a central location was very accessible by tram and bus from the centre of Utrecht. Staff were friendly and helpful, the bed comfy and the shower warm. I even had two sinks in my room

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

• Comfort Twin Room

Old hotel, smelly corridor, lack of hotel service. they don't have slipper for rooms, first night ordered food in the restaurant waited an hour for the food! Caught the restaurant staff ate fries from my tray, so strange!!! Bathroom floor feels sticky, location is not so convenient if you don't have a car

Front desk is very helpful and friendly, bed is comfortable to sleep, breakfast offer is good, freshly made omelette

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

• Comfort Twin Room

The room was at ground floor and was very cold . The air condition was making a very bad noise and I couldn't sleep while it was working, so I had to close it and of course the room was cold all night.

The staff was very friendly.

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

Staff in restaurant were poor. Drinks ordered but they forgot to get them, no cutlery on table had to go and ask even after they had served our food.

Clean rooms, friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

For the price charged I do not expect to 1. Find the previous guests dirty socks in the cupboard 2. A half empty shampoo bottle on top of the shower wall. 3. The shower uncleaned 4. The bed not made up correctly. Bottom sheet not fitted under the covers but loose on top of the bed. 5. The lack of attention in the restaurant. Having been served the main course, there was no further attention paid by the staff. 6. The discourteous manner of the personnel at the reception desk in the morning 7. The inability to generate an invoice in the name of the company, despite having inserted the company name on the check in form. 8. The unprofessional manner in which the invoice was finally generated - with the name incorrectly written despite having provided a business card.

The courtesy of the receptionist who came to check the state of the room and her attention to resolving the issue. Not having to pay for dinner as settlement of the complaint.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

• Deluxe Twin Room

Room was relatively clean but could have been better. I had problems with the roomtemperature; it was either too hot or too cold

I stayed in the deluxe room which is more spaceous. The room was quiet and had a well sized bathroom. Complimentary bottle of water. Basic breakfast but enough choice and loved the offer for a fresh made omelet.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

They seem to be a bit under staffed with only one girl handling the check-in, bar, and customer service. but she was nice and accommodating.

they had free drink vouchers at check in, as well as free water bottles throughout the stay. the staff was extremely nice and helpful. The hotel was not a far travel by transit

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

Lived the music in foyer. Staff very friendly Free bottles of water lovely touch. Very relaxed atmosphere Fantastic windows so no noise at night.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

Did not change towels (4 nights). Careless room service (not properly washed tea cups, did not refill tea bags, did not bring new bottles with water [but water is for free available at reception]). A bit noisy elevator. On Monday morning no milk in coffee machine and no hot water for making tea at breakfast.

Very close to Rijkswaterstaat. Good bed. Nice and practical furniture (I like the chairs and armchairs made from wood and leather). Good breakfast. Very good and frequent connection (bus/tram) to the city center.

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

The mini refrigerator in the room did not cool down properly. However, this is a mention for the persons which buy and eat dinner in the hotel room and they would like to keep the extra food in cold conditions for the next day.

Friendly and professional staff Clean room Good internet and TV facilities The mini refrigerator in the room

• Comfort Twin Room

The front office lady that checked me in treated me absolutely horrible.

The rest of the staff ..Great

• Comfort Twin Room

Unfriendly staff at the reception

Easy access to the Tramp

Road noise

Late night restaurant

• Comfort Twin Room

Value for money is much better for the double rooms than the single rooms.

Close to the river and parks.

Messy,untide room.clogged drain

• Deluxe Twin Room

Check in time was not good enough

• Deluxe Twin Room

Electric fense around the facility

Friendly staff

A bit weared.

My bed was to soft.

Breakfast was nice. I'd recommend a permanent omlett instead of asking the waiter to make it for us.

• Comfort Twin Room

Coffee machine on the Second day was not working. I have registered the complaint.

Hotel was Good. Nice and tidy. Staff was Good and helpfull.

• Comfort Twin Room

Single beds in room were uncomfortable & deco was a bit tired. AirCon / heating in room was very temperamental.

Location for work trip

• Comfort Twin Room

Air conditioning and location.

• Comfort Twin Room

No good customer service, no good facilities at all. The couples have to sleep in tween beds.

No good customer service

Great staff

Receptionist very unpolite

Near to Utrecht City, Highway to Amsterdam

• Deluxe Twin Room

Smoking smell in our room grom other quests. The Staffordshire didn't smell anything

• Comfort Twin Room

Very basic accomodations and the price did not reflect that. Way too expensive for what it was.

no light on bathroom

value/price location staff wi-fi bar restaurant smocking section

No thing