Reviews of Hampshire Hotel - Beethoven 3 stars

Beethovenstraat 43, Oud Zuid, 1077 HN Amsterdam, Netherlands

#265 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

• Double or Twin Room

It was further away from the town centre than we realised at the time of booking. Not the hotel's fault of course.

The hotel was lovely and the staff very helpful and friendly.

Nothing really

The Hotel is very close to the center of the city which is very well connected with Trams, a Tram stop is right infront of the hotel which makes commuting very easy and the center (Dam Square) is just a few stops away. The location of the hotel is very good with losts of resturants and shops right next to it. We took a family room and looking at the room photographs on the site, I was not very confident but to our surprize the family room is a set of 2 rooms connected togther (one big room and the other room one was small) and this made our stay very pleasent as kids enjoyed in their room.

Great comfy rooms, very clean and towels and beds are made every morning. Great location, tram station is right in front of the hotel and there is only 5 stops to city centre. I highly recommend this hotel. We had a great time.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The friendliness of the staff

Decent hotel, clean and tidy with really helpful polite staff. Tram stops right outside and tickets into the centre of Amsterdam can be purchased from reception. Nice cafe/retaurant Overall 4 stars out of 5. Recommended

The room is very basic, clean but old.

Breakfast area and breakfast itself was good, but quite pricey. Beds were nice and the room was fairly spacious. Location is superb

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Decor tatty and marked, especially carpets and walls. Furniture old and not useful. No stairs and very old and shaky elevator. Poor air conditioning. Noisy as facing a main Street with poor noise insulation. TV poorly sited. Very expensive for what it is.

Reasonable location. Bed was comfortable and clean. Bathroom and towels were clean.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The facilities are rather old, but I did not go to Amsterdam for the modern architecture :)

Many utilities nearby, such as trams and supermarket. Good comfort, SC and value for money.

• Family Room

A bit dated in places but it was clean and comfortable so that wasn't an issue!

Really friendly and helpful staff. Good location with a couple of nice shops close by. Right outside was a tram stop too so that was fab!

• Double or Twin Room

Prefer harder bed. Most of all, wifi not stable and speed is low. Wifi connection is important nowadays especially for working.

Most of the staffs are friendly and the location is very nice.

• Double or Twin Room

They come into my room while I'm in the shower, telling me I'm smoking weed (when I'm not even close to it, business trip). They wouldn't believe me when I said otherwise. So they kept trying to charge me for it. Finally, I get the manager into my room to smell it and he says "well I'm a smoker I can't smell anything" - showing that he's still open to the possibility that I'm smoking in the room. Then they said they would constantly check on the room, which made me paranoid and kept the window open during my stay. They really made me feel unwelcome and that's the complete opposite of what a hotel should do! He kept saying "you arnt the first and u won't be the last" - how bout I'm neither. Honestly, such a dent to my relaxation.

Food is good in the restaurant, and the service there is excellent. In fact the restaurant should branch out of the hotel.

The downstairs restaurant/cafe is very nice and modern, great place to hang out. in a great location next to many cafes, restaurants, shops and supermarkets. the room is simple but clean and has all you need.

Noisy room - could hear the above guest walking around, really annoying; the walls were dirty

Really good location, for one night it was fine, bar tender and receptionist lady were kind&friendly

• Double or Twin Room

The attitude of the hotel to the customer. So called prepayment (in full amount) was instantly withdrawn from my card after booking the room. Then I paid the same sum at the checkout. When the prepayment will be returned and if it will be returned at all is the mystery,

• Family Room

Nothing as such but for the family room, we had to climb few stairs with luggage.

The hotel is situated in a nice locality. Stayed with family including kids. Vondelpark was walkable, around 10-15 min walk and tram stop was bang opposite to the hotel. Restaurants, Bakery and supermarket are less than 1 min walk. Overall nice experience.

The staff were very warm helped me with very good information about public transportation and the tours available. Breakfast was excellent. Very good location.

• Deluxe Family Room

Needs to do "just" coffee .... plain, strong, black, in a mug - let the customer do the rest ..... black or white, creme or milk, etc. but I'd go back tomorrow ... maybe take my mug and teach them ;)

helpful, friendly, welcoming,

The room did smell rather badly of sweaty feet/ socks. As I was only staying in your hotel one night, I did not want to disturb your staff. I would suggest changing the carpet to stop the smell. Otherwise it was a comfortable stay.

Your staff at the reception are really friendly and helpful, they are credit to your hotel.

• Double or Twin Room

The pillows were VERY firm and not comfortable. The shower was too small.

The staff were lovely and very helpful. I asked to check-in later and my request was accommodated easily (although I had to pay a fee)

• Double or Twin Room

good location in Amsterdam, like this hotel (been here several times), direct tram to Centraal Train Station, possible to park a car in the area, restaurant and breakfast are fine.

• Double or Twin Room

Was a little noisy in the mornings

Easy to get the tram to the main areas of Amsterdam buy your ticket from reception 48 or 24 hour goes by time so you can ride any tram as many times you want. Stops outside the hotel.😀

• Double or Twin Room

Rooms are on the smaller side and decorated in 1970s style. The toilet is behind a sliding door, like a wardrobe, with no sound insulation... The door of the room next to ours creaked, and whenever it opened it sounded like someone was coming into our room. The corridors outside the rooms are dimly lit. If we had paid full price we might not have been so thrilled.

Cheap and cheerful. We got a last-minute deal on this place so it was very cheap. The room was clean and quiet, with complementary tea, coffee, television and shower gel. Very comfortable beds. Friendly staff. With a last-minute deal it was good value for money despite its idiosyncrasies.

• Double or Twin Room

The building and the rooms are rather old. The rooms are relatively clean, but the walls are thin, which makes for uncomfortable night’s sleep in some cases.

The location is nice. It is close to many museums and walking distance from city center.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Hotel rooms need to be refurbished bakery down stairs is great. Room was sizable but walls are very thin and seem to have had a last upgrade in the 1980's. It was clean though. Hotel staff was good.

Great breakfast.

The lift is dated. And some rooms have heating issues.

The location is great. The restaurant of the hotel is really good and relatively cheap. We stayed at a triple room which was of an ok size

• Double or Twin Room

It was only a 10 minute tram ride to the city centre. Beds were very comfy and maids were in every day with fresh towels. Staff were really friendly and helpful!

• Double or Twin Room

The beds were extremely uncomfortable - 2 single beds pushed together with separate covers and bed-linen. When you sat on the bed you almost felt the boards. Lights were very dim in the room. Overwhelming smell from the bakery downstairs,

Location was good (tram outside the door), easy to get to the centre of town or the airport. Shower was excellent.

• Family Room

Very soft beds that’s sag in the middle and we’re too long for the base, ok for a night or two but not for long stay

Great stay, easy location to get to places, friendly staff

• Double or Twin Room

The hotel was clean and warm. Trams 🚋 stops right outside the front of the hotel and 12.50 Euro’s for 48 hours. Didn’t eat at the hotel but restaurant was always full and smelt good 😋. Staff were polite and helpful. Stayed in room 406x which was top floor, lovely room big and clean and shower was powerful. Would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Family Room

It was nothing like the photos online , there was rubbish under the beds , wallpaper peeling off the walls, outside balcony area of our room was covered in cigarette butts and it really smelt outside our room

Not a lot

• Double or Twin Room

Bed was way to soft and a lot of noise of chairs being dragged around presumably in dining area below at 6am in the morning

Room and bathroom were both clean and tidy

The acoustic isolation of the wall is terrible. Any noise from outside is clearly audible inside, including noise from the street, but mostly from neighbors rooms.

Nothing! If I go to Amsterdam again, I will stay at this location.

The receptionist, Lan, welcomed us so warmly and we felt immediately at home. She gave us tips on where to eat and how to make the most of our short time at Amsterdam. We loved our triple room, basic but large, clean, and with everything we needed. The lobby is very beautiful too, and the hotel is located in a lovely street close to a grocery store and restaurants. It’s also away from central Amsterdam so you can have some quiet, but close enough so that you can always hop on a tram and explore.

Maybe the only negative i have is that the corridors, at least on my floor, were a bit dingy/grim/run-down. Really not a big deal, as the room and lobby were fine. It is not a luxury hotel but it appeared to be much better than the rest at the same price, and i was happy enough.

Check-in was friendly and easy. The room very comfortable. Shower was good. The Wi-Fi worked. I chose it for the location and found it very convenient for public transport and walking around South Amsterdam.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Both stair wells to the rooms where smelly and very dirty at the bottom. The smell was unpleasent. The only thing wrong though, everything else was perfect.

• Double or Twin Room

The pillows are a weird shape. I like a rectangular pillow. The bathroom could have a lock as our door did not close properly . Powdered creamer.

The bed in my room was very comfy. But that is always opinionated. The room was basic. Nice shower but bathroom a bit small if you like a bit of breathing room.I would stay at the Hampshire again.

• Double or Twin Room

Sound isolation of the rooms are horrible. During the night I could hear every single word of our adjacent room. Our room had the view of the street and it was adding to the noise inside the room. The surroinding rooms activity was quite normal, but due to the sound proof issue, it could easily distract you. I could not sleep well and I woke up couple of times during night. Finally, at 6:45, I woke up by the alarm of adjacent room. I wont recommend it at all.

The location is good.

• Double or Twin Room

The bathroom was basic and small. The reception area and restaurant is lovely but the rooms were dated and plain in comparison.

Comfy bed and large, spacious room. Simple accommodation and just what we needed.

• Family Room

Nothing was thrown to up on the top floor... the lift didn't work. Room looked nothing like the photos.. Stated it was 2miles from city centre when it was more like 4miles. The staff were rude and not helpful at all. Light main light in the room didn't work and when we told front desk nothing was done about it. The windows wasn't silled which meant the window whistled all night. One of the worst hotels I've stayed in.

• Double or Twin Room

We originally had a room with two single beds put together. We asked for a room with a large bed and were given a room with a regular double bed, which was smaller than two single beds put together. We decided to stay in the room because it allowed us to sleep in the same bed, plus we were tired and didn't want to move again.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The walls are very thin and the hotel can be noisy. I was alright this time though. Also, four of us stayed there, all booking on booking.com. For the same room we all got different prices with mine being the most expensive and the cheapest at £89. One included breakfast too!

Rooms are quite nice, though I wouldn't stay in anything but a deluxe room in this hotel.

• Double or Twin Room

You probably will hear almost everything whats going on in your neighbors' rooms. The hotel rooms could be a little bit more clean and tidy for that price.

Location is good. Close to major transport lines. Shops, markets, cafes in the area. Ground floor restaurant is pretty cool.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Great restaurant below with good vibes. the hotel a bit outdated. the interactions with the staff were positive overall. the public transportation is perfectly in front. The Internet connection was great. the price correctly matches the value offered.

• Double or Twin Room

The location is a bit far from the centre. Room was a bit basic for the money.

The staff were really helpful and accommodating. The location is pretty. Tram stop is 30 seconds away

• Double or Twin Room

Needs a bit of doing up in the rooms. The bed area was lovely but the carpets and walls could do with an update to make it feel more special. We got a good deal and weren't in hotel much so we were happy with it but maybe not for a special occasion. Also water bottles in the rooms would be a great added touch. The coffee got renewed which was good but we had no water and were not sure about drinking water out bathroom tap in Amsterdam.

Very comfortable and homey. Bed was very comfy. We had a bath in our room which was nice as we don't have one at home. Very clean. Staff were very helpful and accomodating.

• Family Room

Walls and ceiling of the room needed to be painted. Old styled room without enough lighting. Little and non adequate furniture. Safety box on the ground without bolts mounted.

Short trip from/to Airport and City center by train and tram (about 20 minutes). Albert Heijn supermarket just nearby. 10 minutes by tram or a short walk to famous Museums.

• Double or Twin Room

nice location,no crowds, very close to public transportation, utility stores / cafes in vicinity. Staff is courteous and caring,!public transport tickets available at front desk.

• Deluxe Family Room

Stained carpet; sliding bathroom door provides limited privacy.

Friendly helpful staff; good buffet breakfast; restaurant good for dinner too; great location, easy to get to centre and to airport.

• Double or Twin Room

I am a frequent traveller and have stayed in 3 star hotels before. The room I was given was not even close to what is advertised on the website. The room was very dated, had dirty walls and scratches on the doors. One of the windows, the one in the center, was covered by a sheet of cartoon. I have tried to talk to the reception and sent an email to the manager however neither had made efforts to address the issues. This is a 2 star hotel. The walls are very thin and the hall leading to the rooms was very narrow with dim lights to mask the poor quality. I have the pictures to prove my review.

I have not used the restaurant. The location is great, good neighborhood, a short and pleasant tram ride to many attractions.

• Family Room

The hotel is a bit dated but confortable and it has all you need to have a good stay.

The location of the hotel can be easily reach using the Airport connect bus and transferring to a trolley. The stop is in front of the hotel. The location is a nice neighborhood and close to the Rijksmuseum (5-10 min walking), plenty of restaurants and the Voldenpark (20 min walking).

Very very old...

The location was good. Close enough to walk to van Gogh museum (within 1.2km). From the hotel to the tram it's less than 100m away.

This is more of an issue with a vendor the hotel supplied. The hotel secured a taxi for us back to the airport. I asked to make sure the taxi accepts credit cards , which they do. After being dropped off at the airport, the taxi driver tells us that he can't accept cards because he can't find the machine. We were already late getting to the airport and he suggested to find an ATM. My wife and I pulled together some Euros and US money, but we were short, around 5 Euros. He said forget it, think of it as a discount. I suggest the hotel look for a different vendor.

The staff at the front desk were a great help in answering all of our questions and getting tickets and other items we needed to make our trip enjoyable. The staff at the Brooks are just as great. Very pleasant and service was good. We booked two rooms (large family) and both rooms were clean, comfortable, and had a homie touch, very nice. I give the hotel/restaurant and both staffs a five star rating and a big thank you.

• Double or Twin Room

The rooms are small with a bed that for 2 persons might be too tight.

The location is perfect, easy to reach from Schiphol Airport, city center in less than 10 minutes by tram and Amstelveen shopping center within 25 minutes. Area has some restaurants and coffee shops for lunch or dinner. The bed was comfortable and the room quiet.

• Double or Twin Room

The walls are not soundproof and you could hear what was going on in the streets, corridor and other rooms! The price for the breakfast was not worth it and you could go to cafeterias in the area.

This hotel is located only 10 minutes away by tram from the centre. The tram or bus stop is infront of the hotel and you can buy tickets at the reception. It has a restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is a supermarket and bakeries and other restaurants nearby. The staff was very helpful.

• Double or Twin Room

Have stayed here a few years ago, and it seems that no improvement and renewal have been done! The hotel needs attention: dirty carpets, tacky rooms, past the sell by date for the prize they ask! Much much rather stay at the Delphi Hotel close to this hotel, my favourite hotel in Amsterdam, at the same price, but breakfast included. Only if you get a seriously low price, consider this hotel...and then only due to the location.

• Double or Twin Room

It was filthy and the staff not competent... we were asked for our room number 4 times after we checked out, we were mixed up by a separate group booking, the checkin was with some issues as well. Will definitely not recommend this hotel to any one... it was more expensive than the Delphi, and did not include breakfast even!

Only the location

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The room was tired and could've done with a lick of paint but was clean and the toilet was only about 3 feet away from my head in my bed through a sliding door

Friendly staff nice atmosphere

• Double or Twin Room

Room should have fridge or minibar to get cold drinks. Was hot summer days and nights.

Nice location, clean and cosy. Room was big and beds comfortable. Relaxing place.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

there was only a sliding door for the bathroom! the pillow was far to big and hard - possible the most uncomfortable pillow i have ever seen. We travelled to Amsterdam on our bikes from London and we were unable to store the bikes in the hotel( not even in our room overnight) - it was a strict No! We were just told to lock them somewhere outside😨 our bikes are expensive and delicate and our holiday would have come to a very sad ending if the bikes were damaged or even stolen! We managed to store them overnight in the secure cycle- parkhouse about 1 km away! We have been doing cycling holidays for many years and have been staying in very many hotels in various countries and have NEVER come across such an unhelpful place ! For the high price of the room and our 3 day stay I would have expected a bit more help and understanding! We had a good time in Amsterdam but it was a bit unsettling and we would have never booked the place if we would have known the problems we faced on arrival!

good location- we walked into town and to museums but there was also a tram right in front of the hotel, room was quiet and cool

• Double or Twin Room

Room decor reminded me of student hostel except for the bathroom which was tiny but adequate. Carpets need replacing , walls painting even radiators and windows . very overpriced at 568 for 3 nights no breakfast and hotel overcharged 40 euros above fixes price . To add insult to injury we made this reservation 7 days before going . 3 days before departure a delux room was offered at 243 for 3 nights both booking and hotel denied this. The hotel said it was a mistake , I doubt this as I'm constantly seeing pop ups on my computer offering the hotel via booking for between 62 and 70 a night a realistic price for this hotel for a double room .

neighbourhood . Reception staff were helpful in suggestions where to go , tram routes and getting taxis . All staff were courteous and helpful from cleaners to front desk.

• Double or Twin Room

The lobby was nice, but the rooms were very old and desperately need an overhaul (e.g. extremely soft matresses made sleep barely realxing). Might be acceptable for a cheap hotel/hostel, but not for these prices (even for Amsterdam standards).

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The bathroom door had no lock and the shower head / door did not work properly.

Brilliant service, great staff, comfy beds. Brilliant location with direct connection to the city center and very friendly and helpful staff who gave us great tips.

My bed was a single one, and it was a bit small. I am not very tall so it was ok but it may be too small for a taller person.

Good accomodation, easy to reach from Zuid train station and to and from the city center (tram 5 or 24). I had a beautiful room with a small terrace, clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room

The bathroom was cramped, not unique in Amsterdam !

This hotel was chosen because of it's proximity to where our daughter lives. It was easy to reach from station Zuid following a short train journey from Schipol, and having bought a travel pass from reception we used trams from outside the hotel to get into Amsterdam. The staff are friendly, helpful and efficient, the room comfortable, and breakfast very good.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room

The room looked like a youth hostel. It was in desperate need of renovation. The walls were full of holes from previous furnishings, the bed was the wrong size for the night stands etc. the walls were so thin I think there were actually made of plaster. The hotel was in the location I wanted,but it was dreadful value for money.

Good location, friendly staff

• Double or Twin Room

The walls are dirty, the carpet on the hallways was in desperate need of a thorough clean. Not something that can be remediated, but the rooms are not at all sound proof, plusif guests staying at the above room walk you can here every squeak of the floors. Not great.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

My window was on the street, it was a little noisy.

The staff was flexible and allowed me to change my reservation even though they could have charged me for the entire payment I had made.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Decor. I think it needs a refurb. Downstairs reception and the restaurant were beautiful but the rest of the place was dated. It didn't seem like a deluxe room to me- bit disappointing.

Bed was great and tv worked- as did the shower etc.

• Double or Twin Room

The Room was spacious and bonus of a small balcony at rear which was nice. Bed was extremely comfortable and room was quiet. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We didn't use the restaurant but it appeared nice and busy enough too. The [frequent] No5 Tram at the door practically was a bonus too having bought the I-Amsterdam Card.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

• Family Room

I didn't like the check in accuracy. I should have my room ready when i come, but the hotel didn't give me the room until 9 p.m. Half the day was lost which i already paid for the whole day.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Noisy. You hear the movement of people in the corridor, above and around the room. Toilet-door does not close. One bed was defect. Pillows too hard Two different explanations as to why the fire-alarm went off at 4 o'clock in the morning. No follw-up, no response from reception. Nobody reacted, so apparently a frequent occurence.

Not much

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Double or Twin Room

The hotel has a fancy lobby, but the room was very spartan and quite worn down. Also it was very noisy. The fire alarm went off at 4am and it apparently did so because of steam from someone's shower. Sounds like something that needs to be fixed in the future.

Simple hotel, good location, near good breakfast places and close to downtown. Beds were ok.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Bathroom was on the small side but still had everything you need.

Superb location well away from the more seedy elements of Amsterdam but only 10 mins out of town. Short walk to train station and tram stop outside front door.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The price seemed very high, but then I realised that it was the start of Dutch half-term. Still €200 a night is too much I feel. €150 or less and it would seem very good value for the double room.

Great beds and fabulous service from the staff. I really enjoyed this hotel.

• Double or Twin Room

It is prob the shittiest wifi that I have had for a while from a hotel. Some rooms cant even receive the signal. After the room change it is slightly better but it is still bad. They have a balcony in some rooms but it seems they never clean it, cigarette buds all over the floor. Last but not least, some of their double bed are actually recombining 2 beds together which is lame.

The staff was really helpful and the location is good

• Reviewed: 1 April 2017

The wifi in my room was pretty bad.

The staff is friendly and the location is excellent. It's very easy to get there from the airport and perfect if you're there for an event at the RAI congress center. It's also close to the center, so a perfect price/location combination. I would definitely stay there again.

Browse Hampshire Hotel - Beethoven traveller photo gallery