Reviews of The Dylan Amsterdam 5 stars

Keizersgracht 384 , Amsterdam City Centre, 1016 GB Amsterdam, Netherlands

#25 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

9.7

chic luxury and understated...
    • Luxury Double Room

the very long walk to the room, other than that.. it was lovely!

loved the size of the luxury room, the washroom was large and airy, the interiors were beautiful. lobby and bar area were gorgeous, the lounge with the fireplace.. on a rainy day i actually didn't want to leave,. i was checking the hotel out for an event. and I'm very impressed. fresh flowers in the room.. also very impressed. the poor concierge actually stayed super patient while i took about 30minutes of his time to help me plan the perfect dinner.. bless him!

Great location, fantastic staff.
    • Luxury Duplex Room

Shower ran hot n cold n at times ran out of water. Stairs are dangerous in the room I stayed in.

Great location, fantastic staff. Eddie on concierge was excellent. Food was OK, but overall a very nice stay and I would come back again but ask for a different room.

The style, the service the location
    • Superior Suite with Garden View

The hair dryer didn't have a long enough extension to dry hair in a mirror. The shower was over the bath and the heat was inconsistent - initially warm, then turned to hot than cool. not up to the standard we expected

The style, the service the location

WE loved the Dylan and highly recommend it!

Although it was not a problem, the shower/tub was a bit high to access and could be a potential hazard for older guests trying to get in and out of.

We loved the location and the ambience of this hotel. Everyone we encountered ensured that we were taken care of from the moment we got there until we departed. Since arriving early morning from an international flight, the hotel staff demonstrated true hospitality by allowing us to check into our room extra early in order to refresh before embarking on the city streets. That was just what we needed to rejuvenate for a full day's adventure!

Overall it was good stay. Maybe the lady at breakfast was just having a bad day. 🙂

We checked in very late after our wedding, we got to breakfast just before 10am and the lady there was quite rude. We didn’t know that breakfast ended at 10am and even apologized to her. Obviously I understand that you need to prepare for next shift but she started packing all the breakfast stuff while we were still standing there. We ended up taking some items and just placed it on our table so we could have a bit to eat. Was dissapointed with that particular aspect of service only. As we had paid a lot for the stay and least we could’ve been told to take what we wanted before she packed it. However we did request that we have coffee which someone made. And the coffee was at great!

Bed was comfy and room was spacious. The breakfast mix was good.

Great Hotel, terrible restaurant (Vinkeles)
    • Luxury Double Room

1. The main restaurant Vinkeles was absolutely disappointing. We ordered from a la carte, and we ordered two appetizer, two mains two deserts, and the portion is just so so small that it was not worthy at all. Very Very disappointing. The appetizer is 20 euro each and the main is 50~60 euro each, so I think it is very overpriced. For example, the main lamb dish - 50 euro - probably had less than 50 grams of meat... there were just had 5 small cubes of lamb... It didn't taste that great anyway.... I have been to so many michelin restaurant around the world and this was probably the worst one overall. Two deserts were ok. 2. There are no sauna 3. The breakfast was quite disappointing as well.

This is a very stylish hotel and I very much enjoyed staying at this hotel. The hotel had a beautiful garden and the lobby, and it was very cozy indeed.

Beautiful property with an incredible/friendly staff.
    • Luxury Single Room

There was a wedding there which had a bit of noise and made some of the public areas off-limits, but the hotel alerted me before I arrived and so it was not an issue. It ended when they said it would and I got a great nights sleep. The steep stairs in my room may be tough for someone older or someone who goes to the restroom a lot at night, but no problem for me.

Beautiful property with an incredible/friendly staff. Extremely comfortable bed and great shower/bathroom. I stayed in a single room which had the bathroom downstairs and the bedroom upstairs. I was very happy with the space. Great playlist playing as I entered the room. Good and speedy room service.

Amazing experience, would definitely come back1
    • Junior Suite Canal View

Perfect place to stay in the canal district. We loved the location, just enough off the beaten path to enjoy the City, but close enough to walk to anything we wanted to do. The hotel and rooms are top notch, incredibly nice and well appointed. Staff here wen't above and beyond with everything, some of the friendliest people we encountered on our journey. Definitely would come back!

Excellent boutique hotel
    • Superior Suite with Garden View

We arrived at 10 am and got the room only at 2 pm. That’s not the hotel’s fault- they were fully booked but an early check in would have been great after such a long flight

Our suite was very beautifully designed . Location is great

The Dylan is one of the best hotels I have stayed at and I...
    • Junior Suite Canal View

The Dylan is one of the best hotels I have stayed at and I have stayed at a few! Location is excellent, the decor is beautiful and the staff are responsive and friendly without getting in your face.

Really good stay but at a price.
    • Luxury Duplex Room

The room was a 'duplex' room and the stairs up to the shower/bath area were steep and tricky at night. It was very expensive but to put it in context, Amsterdam did seem to be expensive generally.

Staff were excellent, knowledgable and helpful, nothing too much trouble. The room was comfortable, clean and well arranged.

Classy boutique hotel in the canal area
    • Luxury Double Room

Elegant, classy premises and rooms. Very professional and helpful staff. Very nice bar area. Excellent restaurant (one of the best in town). In the very centre, in the canal area.

For us, this is Amsterdam's best 5-star hotel.
    • Luxury Suite with Garden View

For us, this is Amsterdam's best 5-star hotel. In combination with the in-hotel Vinkeles restaurant unbeatable for gourmets. Excellent interior architecture and design. Perfect staff.

Everything about the hotel was great, rooms, staff, location...

liked everything

Everything about the hotel was great, rooms, staff, location, food, bar etc Would be my first choice again on any return visits to Amsterdam.

Perfect in every way.

All perfect, nothing was wrong

Most comfortable bed and pillows Ambience, lighting in the room is perfect and the design and room facilities are magnificent

Simply the Dylan hotel did not match the marketing for this property, definetly hit and miss ....

Music in and around the hotel was very loud... felt like a backpackers accommodation. Some rooms at property are not as described in the marketing.

Some staff at the property did their best to make our stay comfortable

The room is neat,modern, decorated with quality furnitures...

Not cheap, but fair for such quality in Amsterdam.

The room is neat,modern, decorated with quality furnitures and real wooden floor. Located in the heart of Amsterdam. Breakfast, although not as much variety as you see in 5 star hotels in Asia, everything they provide were very fresh, elegantly presented and delicious.

We liked the location of the hotel and the building itself.
    • Luxury Double Room

We stayed at room #1, this room faces the inner courtyard on the ground floor. Unless you want people to be able to see you in your room you need to close the curtains/shutters so there is zero daylight in the room. The bathroom is on the base floor you need to walk up and down the stairs to get there. In all fairness, the team emailed us the room was facing courtside but im afraid we didnt fully understand the layout.

We liked the location of the hotel and the building itself. The bed is huge and comfortable, the bathroom is nice and it was equipped with both a shower and a bath. The decor of the room is nice.

We could not have picked a better place to spend our Christmas in Amsterdam!
    • Luxury Duplex Room

The stairs going up to the bathroom were very steep!! Although we did notice every place we went to eat/drink in Amsterdam had very steep stairs to their bathroom.

The staff went above and beyond to accommodate us! We received a Christmas ornament each night we were there! The room was beautiful! And the location was perfect!

Great stay, one of the best hotels in Amsterdam

I had to leave quite early and although I had paid for breakfast I did not have time to sit down. So I asked for a paper bag to take some breakfast items with me. I was then charged EUR 19 for two small paper containers, ie 2x breakfast rates + EUR 19 for 2 croissants and 2 bananas. When I made a comment that this is disproportionate, I got an unfriendly answer back from one the junior staff. This does not fit at all with the quality and service orientation of the hotel. I would advise to review this.

Very well appointed rooms - comfortable, great bed

A beautiful hotel for a special day

We stayed in The Dylan on our 25th anniversary. We used the hotel owned boat for a canal trip to visit the Amsterdam Light Festival. The staff looked after us to make our occasion a very special one!

Relaxing , welcoming & friendly.

Can’t say anything.

Bedroom a lovely size, bed, pillows very comfortable. Staff fantastic very attentive but not too over you just perfect in everyway that’s goes for all the staff ! Relaxing areas & bar area great . Breakfast lovely would definitely come back .

We have especially liked the friendliness of the staff, the...
    • Luxury Double Room

We have especially liked the friendliness of the staff, the quality of the bar staff and the drinks and food, very good value! Will definitely return to stay at the Dylan in the future.

First impressions are everything, left dissapointed.
    • Junior Suite Canal View

First impression of the room really let down the whole experience. One wall was damaged, scuffed and grubby over a large area which was really dissapointing after paying €900 for an upgrade to this particular room for a three night stay. Also there was a wilting plant in the bathroom.

staff

I loved our stay in this hotel, highly recommend it, well worth the price.

Accommodations were high end, bathroom had large tub plus shower. Very European, clean, and large room. We had a king bed. Staff was superb! I had left some things behind, called, they fedexed overnight to my hotel in Sweden, no charge! Also, their buffet breakfast was too good, eggs, meats, breads,lox, etc. our location was easy to walk everywhere, they even provided bikes.

Loved Amsterdam, plus The Dylan is very conveniently situated. Near to Anne Franks house, & 9 street
    • Luxury Duplex Room

The junior suite was very dark. You couldn't open blinds as people could see straight into our room from the bar as it was directly opposite. With hindsight I would NOT have bookedthis articulate room despite loving the hotel as I don't feel it reflected value for money & we could have got a better room elsewhere in a similar proce bracket.

Beautiful furnishings & public areas. Friendly staff. Comfy bed

Beautiful boutique hotel which is even more expensive than London

The only downside was the size of the bedrooms which did not remotely match the 460 euro cost! We were upgraded to a reasonable sized room but the others in our party had really small rooms. Breakfast was average and I would expect a full breakfast for the price.

Site is excellently situated and is beautifully presented with great service and very helpful staff.

Beautiful cozy hotel in the nicest area of Amsterdam!
    • Luxury Double Room

We missed a sauna and a pool after walking the whole day around the city but that could be easily replaced for drinks at the lounge or the internal patio.

Perfect location close to the very charming shopping area of the 9 streets and close to nice restaurants and cafes. You can walk all over the city from there. Very nice staff!

• Junior Suite Canal View

It might be a little more expensive, but probably because it is a 5-star hotel. Other than this, nothing to complain about.

The hotel is in a nice location. Restaurants and shops were in a walking distance. What I mostly liked about the hotel was the staff, they were so polite and attentive to the guests. I do recommend this hotel especially for couples.

Loved my stay. Beautiful surroundings inside and out with the bonus of a great courtyard terrace .
    • Luxury Single Room

The Dylan like all Amsterdam hotels is expensive. I would like to make it a yearly trip but that depends on the hotel rates!!

The Dylan Amsterdam is a 5 star property with 5 star service. I was having mobility issues at the time of my stay so I availed of my hotel facilities more than usual. The staff gave excellent service in every department especially the female servers in the bar. The turn down waiter was also very helpful. Concierge also gave 5 star service. The decor in my room was up market, modern and beautiful. I enjoyed lounging around in it , as it was so comfortable and enjoyable. Normally I focus on the city, this time I chilled out and enjoyed my surroundings in the hotel. Am looking forward to a return visit.

Short on five star

I booked a double room in this 5 star hotel as a treat to my wife. We were then shunted to The ' New Annex ' to a room that could have featured in any 3/4 star hotel chain. It had a pokey stairwell and looked dreadful.When I enquiried about availability of other rooms, it was obvious that €400 per night did not buy me a room in the main hotel. During my three day stay not one member of management spoke to me. On check out, I notice an item on my bill for €9 euros, this I found out was for having bacon with my breakfast ( which was included in my rate ) . This hotel really needs to decide what it wants to be. To charge €400 for the room I had is immoral

Location, pleasant staff in breakfast romm

Cool hotel in central location.

The bathroom in our room could be a little bigger.

We loved the Vinkles restaurant and had an excellent meal with great wine. Breakfasts were good I really enjoyed the Bircher match museli. Staff were very polite and helpful. We would recommend it.

Amazing place. Staff and location are fantastic.
    • Luxury Double Room

The Occo restaurant really wasn't that great. The roast beef sandwich seemed unconventional and was trying too hard. The scrambled eggs for breakfast were also prepared unusual. I think Occos menu is just trying to hard and should find it's own style but not be so modern and have a few simple things.

Stewart the concierge was awesome. He got me into a couple places and gave great Recs. The coffee was also excellent. The entire staff was wonderful and super friendly.

Great place, great location. Great service. Will go back again
    • Luxury Duplex Room

Lighting in the room could have been a littlle better.

Bed was massive and warm, room facilties were excellent and quality of breakfast and drinks perfect. Staff very friendly.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Superior small luxury hotel
    • Luxury Double Room

Teas at breakfast on offer - in an impressive Japanese glass jug/teapot - are Ceylon and Darjeeling. Tasty enough, but my regular request for Earl Grey tea each morning never resulted in it appearing, and we were there for 6 days.

Friendly, helpful and professional staff. Most enjoyable breakfast selection including fresh mango and pineapple, homemade natural yoghurt, and the cooked options that we tried of pancakes and poached eggs were well cooked. The in-house restaurant Vinkeles is a gem. Sublime cooking - if you remember to book well ahead.Our bedroom was suffused with natural light - and kept spotlessly clean.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

Dylan in Feb
    • Superior Suite with Garden View

The shower pressure in the room we were staying in was quite weak and hard to regulate. Also the breakfast that was included as part of the room rate was weak with very little variety on mmy opinion. Otherwise, amazing hotel.

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

Excellent and convenient location, knowledgeable and...

Excellent and convenient location, knowledgeable and friendly staff, comfortable room, great bar and restaurant, what else would one ask for? Wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else in Amsterdam.

Staff was friendly always asked if you needed help

We was asked €400 when we arrived for deposit , we wasn't told this when we booked , we didn't bring our credit cards with us just money, we end up using our friends credit card bit embarrassing.

Staff was friendly always asked if you needed help

Amazing experience!
    • Luxury Double Room

The only thing was avarage was the wi-fi. It was complicated to get on-line.

We liked everything, from the kind service of the staff, the high class atmosphere, everything.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

Stunning boutique hotel in heart of Amsterdam

Bathroom needs re-fitting - shower leaked everywhere, was too close to the wall, bath so high it was dangerous to get out of Terrible hairdryer! A little noisy from the other rooms as floors are thin

Amazing location Comfy bed Lovely breakfast Excellent bar Really friendly staff

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Expensive for what you get
    • Duplex Room

Asking for a type of bread at breakfast and telling me its over. No can do in a hotel this type. Plus, very unorganized breakfast service.

For what you pay I would expect MUCH more. Poor amenities Poor room service, tray comes without a flower, without bread, without butter

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Top Notch Hotel & Staff

The Dylan is centrally located in the heart of the Canal District, which was a priority for us. It is also an easy 25 minute walk to the theater and museum districts which was also a plus. Our room was very well appointed and the staff stayed on top of restocking what ever we used throughout our stay in an expeditious manner. The common areas (reception, living room, bar and restrooms) were always very clean and inviting. We have enjoyed many properties in the city center of Amsterdam during our stays and will definitely return to The Dyan on our next visit to Amsterdam.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Disappointing has potential to be excellent - improve poor service in restaurant at breakfast

Given upgrade without request - a disaster. Room duplex, bathroom, beneath, accessed via spiral staircase with shallow steps, not at all suitable for our age profile 58/60 yrs. Also the wardrobe was in this bathroom area so one would have had to navigate the stairs in order to hang clothes. Very little natural light capability in bedroom as when shutters open overlooked by lounge/bar windows onopposite side of courtyard. Breakfast - total disaster! Service slow. So slow it necessitated us taking taxi to Van Gogh museum even though we had purposely breakfasted early in order to allow time to walk or take tram there. Ordered tea for 1 and coffee for 1. Only coffee arrived so we had to request the tea again.Cold tea served! This was rectified, eventually.Ordered 2 fried eggs for 2 people with white toast - poached eggs arrived with no toast. We had to leave without completing breakfast as we needed to be at Van Gogh.

Check in friendly and professional. Arrived early, needed to change clothes - room (Josephine's)offered to do this. Concierges, both where excellent and gave good information on restaurant choices, directions etc. The main guy working in the bar was also very friendly, later that night when we had a late drink after dinner. Lady on reception phoned us when room ready, which was helpful also.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

Excellent place to stay in central Amsterdam
    • Luxury Double Room

Buffet missing tomato juice is all

Beautiful building, very friendly and helpful staff, very clean room and common areas. Lovely bar, brasserie, restaurant etc. Bedding and toiletries excellent too.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

Overall a luxurious stay

As other reviewers have commented the breakfast was quite disappointing. Our main issue was the service. Staff were friendly but the service was very slow and lacklustre. Lots of orders were forgotten at various tables. It was difficult to get the staff's attention. We had no butter until we were finished with our breakfast. Coffee is served in very small cups that never seem to get refilled. We saw thermos tea and coffee pots at other tables but we just had an empty one at ours. The choice of the buffet breakfast was quite modest. Not really what one would expect from a 5 star hotel.

Our room was beautiful and comfortable. We had an espresso machine which is always a big plus. The bed was extremely comfortable and the decor very understated and elegant.

Service and property
    • Luxury Single Room

Bedrooms could be a little bigger

Service and property

Very good

Na

Croissant juices

The absence of propper conditioning air in the public areas,...
    • Luxury Double Room

The absence of propper conditioning air in the public areas, the awful redecoration, too much questions from everyone.

The staff were wonderful, couldn’t do enough for us.

The staff were wonderful, couldn’t do enough for us. The hotel was fabulous from the lobby to the bar to the toilet.

Perfect stay in Amsterdam
    • Duplex Room

nicely designed room, comfortable bed, very friendly staff and perfect location

I can't wait to return and would highly recommend The Dylan. A real class act!
    • Duplex Room

Breakfast was superb and location was perfect for getting around. Loved it!

Fabulously unique and charming hotel
    • Luxury Suite with Garden View

Shower and room heating was difficult to adjust

Excellent staff, very unique rooms and lots of character

Fantastic property.

Fantastic property. Wonderful canal house with modern tasteful rooms. Amazing restaurant. Perfect location. Terrific staff.

Just book it! Best hotel I've stayed in!

Nothing. Seriously it was perfect

By far the best hotel I have stayed in. Location, Room, Staff were all amazing!

BEAUTIFUL AND VERY HOSPITABLE, UNF BEDS SOMEWHAT HARD AND AT...
    • Luxury Double Room

BEAUTIFUL AND VERY HOSPITABLE, UNF BEDS SOMEWHAT HARD AND AT NIGHT NOISY AT INNER COURTYARD FROM A PARTY

We will return happily

We thought the hotel was fabulous. The staff were charming and the location is terrific and our room was generous and had all you would need

Fantastic hotel. Great rooms and great staff!
    • Superior Suite with Garden View

Try the Latte! Best I’ve had in Europe!

Perfect

Nothing !

We’ve travelled the world staying in the best hotels. Our experience at the Dylan is in our top 3 Hotel stays

Fantastic staff and service from start to finish

Fantastic staff and service from start to finish

Absolutely excellent hotel, only small downside is that the...
    • Luxury Double Room

Absolutely excellent hotel, only small downside is that the beds are slightly on the hard side.

Decadent.
    • Luxury Double Room

Interior defines “cool luxe”. Stunning interior, very attentive staff, delicious food and drink.

A super visit

The whole experience was super.

Comfortable

Staff

• Luxury Double Room

Perfect location, lovely room, friendly staff

.--

Breakfast was really good, coffees and cappuccinos perfect. Sitting out in the courtyard for drinks at five was a highlight for all of us.

My first time in Amsterdam so the Dylan was the perfect hotel for my introduction

I had no dislike of the hotel

Very quiet and a very good courtyard nice room great location

OK

The room is too dark

Very comfortable bed

All you can dream, you get it at The Dylan!
    • Luxury Double Room

The Dylan is just amazing!

Ecxellent bed
    • Duplex Room

Very dangerous stair in room 17.. The girls in the breakfast room, made so many noise....pls They do not have to speak so loud

Ecxellent bed

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

parking was too expensive, 90 euro per day

parking was too expensive, 90 euro per day

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

The best in Amsterdam
    • Luxury Double Room

Fabulous boutique hotel. Friendly and helpful staff

Top hotel, nice and cozy, top restaurants.
    • Luxury Double Room

Top hotel, nice and cozy, top restaurants.

The staff was professional and on point.

The staff was professional and on point.

Best room in town

Best room in town

Would stay again wonderful hotel

The Bar area