Reviews of Bilderberg Hotel De Bovenste Molen 4 stars

Bovenste Molenweg 12, 5912 TV Venlo, Netherlands

#4 of 11 hotels in Venlo

Absolutely nothing

The bed was a dream to sleep in and the meals were wonderful the location couldn't have been in a better location for an early morning stroll before breakfast.

First meeting at reception was not warmfull. I would like to have a king size bed if possible, because of my birthday? Answer: 40 euro extra charge offered.!!! Even they did not celebrate my happiness🎉😞😞 Early in the morning woke up with bad machine noise in the room. Could not sleep any more, because not stopping of it. As I complain by reception about the problem, been explained that we have room over swimming pool machine room!!! Unbelievable !! That s why, never again. 😞😞

Location of Hotel

The staff were really helpful particularly Ralph who went out of his way to make us feel welcome. However the evening receptionist could have been more welcoming and approachable particularly after a long trip, and, when booking dinner when we had to have a set menu which we didn't particularly want, Ralph to the rescue! None the less we really enjoyed ourselves. Thank you

the style of the hotel and its setting. Breakfast was excellent. It is also great to see a hotel which allows dogs (not that we had any with us) but some guests did and it was great to see.

The only good thing about the hotel was the breakfast and the beds in the room with very comfortable but I have a train track that runs at the back of the hotel and you can hear the train all hours of the night. We had an 86-year-old with us and this facility does not provide services for the elderly there too many stairs this very disappointing on many levels God help if you’re disabled. There was no music in the restaurant was almost a dead atmosphere almost like somebody passed away, In my personal opinion I don’t believe this hotel was value for money, One of the other things about this hotel was that it was not easy to find no signposts.

The only good thing about the hotel was the breakfast and the beds in the room with very comfortable but I have a train track that runs at the back of the hotel and you can hear the train all hours of the night. Yeah

The bed was too soft and as a "double was in fact 2 single mattresses pushed together therefore it was like sleeping in a single.

The restaurant was very good even if the fixed menu had no choice. Also the breakfast was good. The hotel building, location and décor were good, certainly not a "chain" hotel environment.

• Executive King Room

You charge me a 98 Euro no show rate ! I think is the last time I book a room with booking.com I had many different problems to arrive at the hotel on time ! So I don’t agree your policies!

• Executive King Room

Unfortunately, the food was varied and limited to some sort of recepie. The bedsheets were menat to be removed everyday and toilels were meant to be changed every morning without any extra charge. THe location, city and the hotel was all good. The service and the staff were super helpful and were professionals as well. Thanks for your hospitality.

It is very difficult to find. We did not like the service at all: staff at the reception and at the restaurant. The room was old, the bed was very soft, the blanket was small. No bathrobe available (we needed to pay for it, which does not make sense if the hotel is also spa). We were not informed when we arrived to the hotel about these kind of rules. The water of the pool was cold

The breakfast is acceptable, the sauna was nice.

Hotel restaurant is very popular in the evening, so finding a parking spot at dinner time can be difficult. In my view, room service charge should be included in the room price.

Large and comfortable standard room. Good indoor swimming pool, nice sauna and steam-bath room. Located in a quiet green area, not far away (even if not-walking distance) from the city centre, ideal for a short stay. If you plan to visit the city and the surrounding area, a car is needed; otherwise, you have to call a taxi from the railway station (3 minutes drive distance).

The spa facilities should be open longer than until seven. That was very annoying.

The spa facilities were nice. The breakfastroom was very good, so was roomservice.

When a room door is not fully closed an alarm sets off. This is very noisy as it occurs all the times throughout the corridor (doors don't fall into lock by themselved you need to give them a little push)

Extreemly friendly guy was our host for dinner on Saturday. Great experience

at breakfast roastbeef was finished and was not refilled food was spilled around the pots at breakfast and wasn't cleaned away i.e. scrambled eggs and bacon small sauna with no resting room attached bath robes were not included but had to be rented (8,5€/ person) two single beds not attached to each other so kept drifting away

breakfast until 11 o'clock

Bath: we do not know if it was just forgotten but we did not have any toilet brush in out bathroom. Wellness: On Saturday morning the wellness center was already totally fully booked for the same day. We were late, thus, for the future guests, be aware to book on time. Room: Window in our room was stuck and we could not have it open just to have the room refreshed (not a big problem since we stayed in January, though). Indeed we did not ask anything to the staff.

Bed: super soft and comfortable although they were 2 twin beds set close together. Bath and Service: Also the shower in our room was large and functional and breakfast in bed was not that expensive extra fee (5,00 euro per person). Indoor Pool: was very clean and for most of the time we could have it for us only. the same regarding the sauna and the Turkish bath. It is very much appreciated from an animal lover that dogs were allowed. We personally liked also that breakfast in the weekend was possible till late (11:00AM)

The English breakfast was cold, Chefin dishes recomended. Had a full body massage from an uncomfortable with brocken handles facial chair. Doors to Sauna and Steam rooms need to be fixed.

The cold breakfast was very delicious. The swimming pool was lovely and the staff were friendly and helpful at all times.

The staff were mainly nice and helpful with the exception of restaurant staff! Had to wait for more than one hour and a half with a hungry grumpy kid for food, quality nothing close to acceptable and the staff were hardly show off at your table. Not the best dinner experience and Not sure if there is any alternatives cloase by. The restaurant was fully booked that night and apparently we were lucky to mention on time that we would like to have dinner in house.

Great location, good breakfast, comfy bed.

• Family Room

The family room had very little storage space The double bed it was two singles on wheels that were moving. Not comfortable at all. Restaurant lacks variety of dishes.

Breakfast was very good and staff very helpful. Very well situated. Ideal for small escapes into the nature. Nice restaurant also with few but very well made dishes.

The booking.com photo shows a double bed. When we arrived in our room, there were two separated single beds with single duvets.The receptionist told us that the hotel deliberately advertised it as double room so that couples would upgrade on arrival to a king size! The photo should show single beds, and not advertise as double room. Swimming pool was very nice. Sauna area allows total undress, but really a naked man parading himself when young women were present was a rather unpleasant experience. Restaurant was very expensive. I ordered the steak option which was very chewy. There were big pots in the window obstructing the view.

Breakfast was great. A lovely setting. Loved the Swimming Pool. The majority of the staff were very helpful. The hotel was very clean. The Christmas decorations were lovely.

Fantastic location. When sitting in the restaurant you get an excellent view over the lake. This was our second say and I am sure there will be plenty more. The pillows are really lovely and I would have loved to take one home. This was the best night sleep I had in ages. The breakfast is really nice, too. Unfortunately I have not had time to use the pool but there is always next time. :)

• Executive King Room

Everything was to our liking.

The hotel setting is lovely. Our beautiful, spacious room had the largest balcony overlooking a small lake and trees, lovely in their autumn colours. Breakfast was one of the best we've ever had in a hotel. We treated ourselves to dinner one night, and were not disappointed. We enjoyed using the swimming pool, which is open from early to late, along with the sauna and steam room.

A strange encounter with the receptionist upon leaving; she was extremely reluctant to get someone to help with my luggage (I have a severe disc problem in the lower back), while mentioning that she herself couldn't possibly help because she had back problems?!? I noted that I was not asking her personally, but that there must surety be one of the many other staff members who could assist. Eventually I had to find for myself a member of housekeeping staff.

Excellent location in the forest; top notch food.

Physical plant is old, but clean and comfortable,

My wife had a medical emergency; the staff went out of their way to accommodate our needs – anything I could think of.

The description of the hotel states that there is a tennis court. We specially brought our tennis gear for this. However, the tennis court is in such bad condition that it is impossible to play tennis at this court. If the tennis court is in this condition, do not state it in the description.

The hotel is very nice located with comfortable rooms in a nice building.

All irons was occupied already the evening before. No chance to iron the shirt in the morning. Suggestion to to have a separate room for this.

Excellent location with possibility to take a run around the corner.

No menu offered at dinner, just told something for each course, if you said you did not like it then they suggested something else. Even on a menu for 33 euros this is not acceptable for a 4 star hotel. It seemed you were offered whatever they wished to finish up ! Breakfast nothing cooked as requested. Dining room very basic and tables very close together

Position of hotel, comfort of bedroom

Car park is just near, but always quite busy... Need more spaces to park, please think of it ! Still, it is sometimes noisy during the night. At least I knew my neighbours were a bit in love. And a little expensive, but I will be back :)

Great surroundings Good food but expensive but good but expensive... And great breakfast with fresh eggs, by the way :) Fitness room is ok, swimming pool even better, and good sauna as well

Windows in bedroom would not open .

Service in restaurant was a little slow & we did not get given a menu till we had been sitting at the table for about 15 mins! But food when it. And was delicious and the breakfast buffet was very good with a huge variety of breads & meats & cheeses as well as cereals, fruits & yoghurt, hot food available as well .

• Executive King Room

lovely location and surroundings near the motorway network but with a real countryside feel, lovely lakeside terrace for dining and very pleasant staff hard to find any fault, will use again and would recommend

• Executive King Room

One of the staff serving dinner wes rather aloof and one other was very unfriendly. I suspect however that this arose from a mistaken view that efficiency requires distance. Nonetheless a more relaxed attitude would have made the dining experience more enjoyable.

This was an excellent setting by a lake. Our room was very comfortable and had two separate balconies with very different views. The reception staff and breakfast staff were very friendly and helpful. I think that this would be my hotel of choice on the Netherlands.

The box-spring (like?) mattress made me feel like sleeping on the Eiger North Face. I desperately tried to cling to it but my grip was nothing compared to gravity. I woke up half way down to the floor. My spouse suggested I sleep on the side. That seemed to work until I came to lie piggy-in-the-middle style. The gorge widened ungraciously and I woke up when my bum touched ground. Next time I make sure to book a double bed. So it was definitely not the hotel's fault.

Nice dinner and breakfast area facing the pond. We had picked a beautiful weekend in June.

Hard to find, at end of maze of tiny residential streets - only saw one small sign to hotel, almost covered by trees.

Beautiful setting in woods overlooking lake on edge of affluent residential area. Good sized newly refurbished rooms with attractive decor and large very clean bathroom. Attractive restaurant and patio with particularly good breakfast. Excellent swimming pool, sauna, steam room and gym. Allows dogs.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

• Executive Double Room

Not so much to do for children in the hotel, but plenty of activities on short distance.

We liked the pool, sauna and steam bath which are until until 23:00, good equipment in the gym. The area around the hotel is great for hiking and biking. Easy to bike to the city center and river. On summer-evenings it's great to have diner on the terrace. Room was in very good condition, excellent bed. Perfect pillows (with option to change to preferred thickness) and fine bedlinen.

I love to arrive there in Spring \ Summer time, wake up in the morning and eat breakfest looking into the lake, the fountain and the swans. When I come back to my room I open the window and hear the voices of birds

The doors of the hotel rooms only seem to close if like slammed, this wasn't good for my nightsleep. The windows on the 1st floor couldnt open at right ways.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

tea should be better in terms of real Assam varieties and maybe real teapots for the guests at breakfast?

The beds were excellent and especially the availability of face towels is to be mentioned as a very positive feature. Something relatively rare, but actually it should be considered important!

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Executive King Room

Room was not properly ventilated, still smelling from cigarette smoke from previous guest. One curtain was missing. Trains are passing very close to the hotel. Service in restaurant could be improved.

Very good location, friendly staff, good restaurant.

The only little thing I could fault this Hotel for is they let dogs stay and I'm not a dog person but that's just me sorry.

I loved the quite location of this Hotel, but yet it was only a five minute drive to Venlo Centre, you can hire push bikes from the Hotel, the Hotel is surrounded by picturesque scenery, there is a heated pool, Sauna and steam room, the staff were so friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Anyone booking should be aware that "Double beds" means two singles joined together. I ideally wanted a double for single use so this wasn't completely satisfactory. Additionally the mattress was quite soft. Parking looked a bit of a squeeze if you arrived late.

Nice quiet country hotel. Staff friendly and helpful (receptionist arranged early breakfast). Food was good , only minor complaint was that I had the fixed 3 course dinner and the starter was veal and main course beef. Both individually great but probably not on the same fixed menu.

The way the hotel has been renovated (with exception of the fantastic Italian douche), the style, used materials and colors. The breakfast, a lot of choice but not of quality required, no real butter offered (only upon explicit request)

The Italian douche, friendly reception, wifi access

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

The noise from a machine or something below our room and the smell of cooking in the foyer.

The mattress was good quality. The view. Breakfast was excellent

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

Leaving...!!

Great place. Lovely surroundings. Town not far away, rail station even less. Staff, very helpful and friendly. Hotel standards very high from reception to room. Comfy beds.

bathroom lacking some essentials; a proper double bed would be an improvement

nice breakfast, location on the outskirts of the city in a green area, a couple of bike routes starting at the hotel, 30-min walk to the center of Venlo

Bedroom doors do SLAM closed after people leave room because of some device on the door. Very noisy early in morning when people leave.

Good buffet breakfast

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

The hotel’s best years seem to have passed. The atmosphere of the 90s lingers in the halls as well as the rooms. The breakfast/restaurant area is a mix between old and new styles, which works ok, however we missed an attention to detail as well as a certain coziness. The breakfast is quite simple. While there is basically a bit of everything available (different breads, fruit, yoghurt, eggs, cereal), the quality seemed rather cheap. Coffee and tea are served at the table in tiny wee cups, which means once a cup is finished one has to wait for service again. Cups should be bigger or warm drinks should be on self -service. In the evening the breakfast area turns into the hotel restaurant. Dishes are very expensive, so are the drinks. The food was decent, however 18€ for a small piece of quiche or 22 € for Fish& Chips is simply too much in my opinion. 4 star prices but no 4 star quality I am afraid.

The rooms were nice, the bathroom modern and clean. The service was very good altogether, staff was very friendly and the room service was fine. A nice idea is the possibility of having breakfast in the room for a surcharge of 5€ p.P. We took this offer on our second day. The quality of the breakfast was not any better (not surprisingly) but it was nice to have the option. The location of the hotel is lovely, right next to a pretty lake in the forest. An excellent starting point for hikes. It is also possible to walk into the town from the hotel, it takes between 20-30 minutes. Altogether we enjoyed our stay, it was a nice break in a quiet place close to nature.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

• Executive King Room

The doors are noisy. They slam to close so we were woken early by other guests.

Staff were excellent, restaurant is very good and the location was perfect.

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

• Executive King Room

This is the first time that I do not sleep well in this hotel. This was awfully nosy and I can not explain why but I did not sleep for 3 nights unfortunately...

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

• Executive King Room

Building work going on when i stayed there

Very good breakfast, room and service. I left something in my room and they posted it back to the UK for me.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

• Executive Double Room

the lay out of the hotel was some what strange with different lifts going to different levels Main problem was once again booking dot com had not passed on our room requests about limited mobilty and we ended up at the very back of the hotel

the staff all helpful and pleasent

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

The mattress was extremely soft, it gave me a sore neck and back; two single beds together do not make a double bed, there are ways to tie them together, without having your guests falling in the middle while the beds part to the sides... The room was too small with too much furniture; it felt a bit cramped for two people. The parking is too small for all the hotel and restaurant guests.

Good breakfast and good wifi coverage, also in the room. Kind staff.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

There was really nothing to not like. Even if I said the cost was too high, the value and facilities matched the price paid. One of the best places we have stayed in Europe.

Great location and multilingual staff in a big yet surprisingly quiet town. Amazing breakfast and modern facilities in historic and rustic location.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

If we had been told about the refurb project we would not have stayed. Having breakfast in the basement was very dull. We stayed before and rebooked as we like the view over the first from the breakfast area. None of that this time plus the new matrasses are extremely soft so very uncomfortable. Thumbs down.

Upgrade

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

have nothing to complain ! CHEERS

the best thing about this Property is the staff , Thank you Patrick , and the other staff too were very friendly and helpful , it was a lovely experience though short , will certainly come again ...

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Executive Double Room

A wonderful resort. Only had one night here but would have loved a week. Surrounds are so calming and enjoyable. Morning started with a swim before a delightful breakfast looking over the grounds pond with swans and ducks. Staff could not have been more helpful to courteous. Shore drive intimVenlo could have easily been don on one of their bikes if we had had a longer stay. Lovely town with great eating places.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

The night I arrived the room was very warm due to good weather with bright sun light most of the day. The room is not air conditioned and only Electric Fan is available. I hesitated to open the window, as there is no mosquito netting on the window, even though, I was told not much mosquito in the area.

The location is closed to my meeting location for the next day. And in good location with lake, fountain and woods around. Good size room and clean. large free car parking area. The breakfast is good and you can order fry eggs and freshly made cappuccino

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

The English written menu does not show how good the food can be. Fried lamb when it was roast and fish and chips are not the sort of dishes you expect at this lovely hotel. The words of the English menu need altering

well appointed hotel in a beautiful setting . excellent food professionally served.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

While we got our room at a very good rate this was offset by quite expensive prices for food and drinks.

We had an excellent spacious room with a really comfortable bed with quality linen. All the staff were very friendly and spoke excellent English. The lovely terrace facing the lake was perfect for outdoor dining. We enjoyed very good food served by the attentive staff.

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

What didn't I like? Being told off by my wife for not booking a longer stay :-)

Great hotel, friendly staff, nice pool and the food (wow). Probably one of the best meals I've had, not cheap, but worth every cent! And the breakfast was good and plentiful too.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2016

Staff at breakfast were grumpy and service was a bit vague.

The location is beautful amongst woods and a lake. Lobby staff very friendly and helpful. Quality of food and drinks excellent.

Too soft beds

Excellent breakfast except for the coffee

• Executive King Room

Great area for cycling and walking and good for business in the Venlo area

Lovely setting. The lake walk. Great room and excellent breakfast

Slow internet

Mattress too soft

Great breakfast, quiet location

• Executive King Room

Food quality could be better, steak was very poor however did not complain as was with colleagues

all is ok

good hotel

• Family Room

Dinner overpriced and service very slow.

Breakfast was good.

Food was just OK

Ambience and location

Excellent Breakfast

Ontbijt was super! Bedbank super in junior suite!

Nothing much, but would be lovely if there is a jacuzzi.

Good and lovely location.

Very good location.

Can't think of anything

This is a very [pleasant hotel, quiet and in a lovely area. The view from the breakfast room is splendid.

Walls are quite thin, you can easily listen to the room next door

Beautiful surroundings. Nice swimming pool and sauna.

We liked the location of the hotel and the feeling of being home from home

Super location direct in the woods

very helpfull personal