Reviews of Carlton Beach 4 stars

Gevers Deynootweg 201, 2586 HZ Scheveningen, Netherlands

#10 of 26 hotels in Scheveningen

• Superior Double Room with Dune View

Perfect holiday and location, relaxed atmosphere ,lovely views, friendly staff, Plenty of good restaurants on the beach, great breakfast at Carlton,

• Superior Double Room with Dune View

The only downside was that the hotel is located next to a club that plays loud music. If your room is on that side of the hotel your screwed. The music keep us up till about 1am. If interested in his hote, I would suggest telling the front desk you want to be on the city side and not the dunes side.

The staff was very kind and helpful. Room was nice and clean. Location is right on the beach, can't bet that

It is not the responsibility of the hotel, but there was a consistent noise at night created by an advertising panel in the street and the strong wind.

The bedroom is cosy and the bathroom is very nice.

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

Our arrival and lack of on-site parking availability was poorly handled. The room was very small although balcony sea view was great. Tiny bathroom not helped by very leaky shower doors. Very uninspiring bar area.

Location right on the beach. Good cycle hire system from health club.

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

first, Entrance: from outside it looks like a convenient store, not a 4 star hotel. second, the corridor colors and lights look like an old fashion no star motel, although it seems someone intended to reflect a beach scheme, even the elevator looks like a kids cartoon style submarine mock-up. third, the decoration in the room is old fashion and ugly,the room smelled funny like a stagnant swamp. although i chose a double bed see view room, i got 2 twin beds put together, the room was probably the worst see view room on second floor, you go to the balcony and the roof's stone pebbles is your primary view. oh and the mattress is not held by the bed, so you be careful the mattress may slip and you end up on the floor with the mattress. fourth, if you come driving, you have to guess how you can get into the hotel, there are no signs to tell you what to do.

the hotel location is what made me decide to book there, it is very close to the beach. there are a few issues that where not that great, but before that i have to say the bathroom was newly renovated and looks great. although certain aspect did not impress me, like the fluctuating water temperature, the insufficient lighting, and the glass door that opens into the rooms foyer

Hidden extra's. Parking fee and the hotel receptionist tried to charge us for breakfast's when I was under the impression it was included in the price.

The location is fantastic although there is major demolition work going on just in front of the hotel so it was a bit noisy early morning. The spa was good and I had an excellent massage on special offer.

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

to communicate with the hotel was unsatisfactory. Despite three telephone calls no confirmation was send that I could extent our stay by one day. During the week the noise level is high due to ongoing construction of the new boulevard.

We received the same good service as last time. The staff was very friendly. The best of all was the breakfast.

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

The reception not give us the correct information about breakfast time. When finish the time nobody inform the guest that they will remove the breakfast. The cleanliness of the bathroom was not good. The private parking you need to pay 22 euros/day.

The hotel is very close of the beach and the restaurants. The Breakfast is good. The room are comfortable but old style.

WI FI for sure ..nothing else Spa was excellent . Desk clerk could be more informative about hotel and things to do in and out the place .. they were very nice but basic with their help.

Restaurant had only a view choices for dinner .. WI FI was complicated to get from the front desk needed a commitment etc ..so I dropped it .

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

The hotel car park was limited and expensive. E22 per day. We used the local car park behind the hotel which was about E15.50 per day. Problems in some places/car park using Mastercard credit cards.

The breakfast was excellent with wide range of choices/some cooked to order. The evening restaurant was also excellent/ the steak and fish were very good. The hotel was near the tram and bus stop with with excellent service (every ten minutes on the dot. The hotel staff were very helpful and advised us the best places to visit. Suggest using the E6.50 ticket obtained from the hotel as it gives unlimited travel around Den Haag and the regions. The beaches were wonderful especially for surf gliders (our trip it was very windy). The restaurants along the promenade were very good value and food. I would recommend it.

Cam't think of anything

the Spa area had the loveliest girl you can imagine, so kind and cooperative. It was just great to be there. The bed was really good as well and the view was half street and half sea and there was a balcony. And you can use an I pad for free, nice extra service. I can only recommend this hotel. Another super plus was the fact that you can open window/door instead of these hotels where the windows have to stay closed and the airco should bring the fresh air (and most of the time you will have a stuffy room the next morning)

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

Not all the bulbs were working, staff do not check the rooms enough. Bathroom sink area is very small. Duvet on bed was a bit too warm. Overnight parking is too expensive: Rate Eur 22, should be no more than Eur 15 or less.

The sea view is very nice

• Superior Double Room with Dune View

attitude of receptionist at check in. size and condition of the room except for the bed and bathroom. general condition of the hotel with the exception of the reception/lobby/restaurant area. In dire need of refurbishment. A one night stay in a superior room was not at all value for money.

Location is excellent. Bed was very comfortable. Bathroom though small was refurbished and bright and very adequate. breakfast was good

Upgrade to a room with a view on the beach was promised by booking.com Did not get it! :( Second promise was a upgraded delux room. Did not get it :( If you promise a room, please be sure the rooms are available.!!!!! This is unsatisfying Rob Adolphs

• Deluxe Twin Room

The pool was a little on the small side, and the rule about having to take swimwear off in the sauna and steam room was a little odd, and sort of put us off using them, as they are mixed gender. They also charged extra for robes and even more to use the spa and sauna. I am being very picky however, the hotel was great in general and it didn't really affect our stay.

The breakfast buffet was incredible! There was so much choice and the staff were really friendly and attentive. The hotel is quite literally on the beach, near some great restaurants. It was very easy to get into the centre of The Hague, as there was a tram stop next to the hotel, which provided two direct trams to different areas. The staff were really friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. We got a balcony with a view of the sea, which was lovely! I had the best massage of my life in the spa! I would recommend their massage therapist to anyone!

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

Despite the fact that I had not booked for breakfast, I was initially charged for it and had to ask in order to get a clarification that it was an insurance in case I got breakfast while staying at the hotel and if not it would be deducted after the end of my stay. I would have no problem at all if I had been notified from the start that this was the policy, so that I'm aware. Additionally, I found it a bit weird that despite having booked a room, there was an extra charge for a parking spot in the hotel's parking.

Amazing location. Very clean room.

• Deluxe Twin Room

The balconny could use a big cleaning. Very modern bathroom, but lights at the mirror are very bad. Also too bad that none of the 32m2 rooms has a double bed, all 2 seperate beds.

Overall a good stay, nice bathroom, very good breakfast.

Very noisy restaurant/party center (Oscar's) right on side of the hotel -wedding/and other events having extremely loud music that would not allow us to rest even with out windows closed. We had a "Dunes looking room" There were a group of approx 10 teenagers throwing "pellets" to the people passing by the back of the hotel; the hotel is across the tram station and it might be easy to have this type of people gather around there. I didn't feel very safe around the area.

Breakfast was very good

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

At the check in they told us that we couldn't take our Breakfast in the breakfast salon. We had to go and have our breakfast in the Smuggler Grill Restaurant. The whole time we spend at the hotel we we're alone to take breakfast. It smells not good in this part of the restaurant because it's a Grill restaurant!! An the sorriest was that not even the tables were not covered!! All what we needed to have our breakfast we toke from the salon to the restaurant/bar...... And the poorest was that the Hotel Has 3 restaurants and we couldn't have a dinner because we had our dog!!! So we searched every evening to find a restaurant........ That's not cool!!

The sea view, because we had a room seaview with balcony. The staff at the reception and in the bar was very friendly

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

The shower leaked. We advised staff when checking out and they said they would alert management.

1) Wonderful view from our bedroom. 2) The hotel was very quiet at night. Great for poor sleepers. 3) We rented bikes that were easy to use and fun.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

The room needs definitely a renovation. Old fashioned. 22 Euro for an open air parking slot and you can leave your car there just 3 hours after your check out. Too much money for what the hotel gives.

The location of the hotel and the room view were great.

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

Disappointed that hotel facilities you would expect to be included in the booking price where charged as extras including: access to the pool, provision of robes at the pool.

Excellent location for all amentities

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

The staff are young willing but inexperienced. Somethings on the restaurant's menu are only available in the Carlton Beach club (bit confusing), which during our visit in May was seldom open.

Location to the promenade and sea-view were great! One gets a real seaside feeling strolling the promenade. Don't forget to walk the double-decked pier, with its big wheel, bungee jump and death-slide.

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

Our seaview room on the 4th floor was very small, however it was perfectly formed and had a balcony; it was perfectly ok for a 1 night stay - if you are staying longer, you might want to ensure you get a bigger room. The parking at the hotel is very expensive, however it is secure which was important to us as we needed somewhere safe to leave our classic car.

The hotel is right behind the beach at the end of the resort, with great sea views - it's well worth upgrading to a seaview room. A lovely long walk along the promenade takes you to the harbour where there are some fabulous restaurants - build up an appetite on the way there, but get a taxi back! The late check out time is a bonus - 13:00 as standard and only a small hourly fee up until 17:00. There is a good selection of food at the breakfast buffet. We couldn't fault the staff who were all very helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

1. Hotel would not let me enter hotel parking upon arrival. I first had to park my car on the street and pay for this whilst booking into hotel when they finally agreed to let me use their parking at Euro 18a day. Ridiculous waste of timend very annoying. 2. Sink in bathroom blocked and waste water emptied very slowly. The problem was so obvious that it should have been easily spotted by cleaning staff and not await me reporting it to reception. 3. Breakfast not very large choice.

The beds are too soft for me....

Perfect location at the end of the boulevard along the Scheveningen beach. At the boulevard you can find nice restaurants and bars. The bar at the hotel is also a good location to be.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

shower couldn't keep temperature stable, now and then cold "flushes". Bed was very soft. We slept well, but I can imagine that not everybody likes it.

nice spacious room

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

Breakfast is ridiculously expensive. I didn't get a response when asked about early arrival through booling.com. When I then called them I was told that early arrival (before 15:00) was non-negotiable, even though the hotel was half empty.

Very comfortable hotel at a great location.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

The Carlton Beach Hotel is a great choice for any traveller. My first stay there was 26-years ago, living in the hotel for 3-months while my parents decided on a house for us to call home when we moved to the Netherlands. A lot has changed since my first visit, and of course the hotel has undergone many improvements and upgrades. However, the Carlton Beach Hotel is just as comfortable as I remember it, with an amazing location right on the boardwalk of Scheveningen. I would recommend it to any traveller, and I look forward to my next stay. By the way, don't pass up the breakfast, it is well worth the extra charge.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

Hotel accepts pets, but only for surcharge 27,50€/day because the pets is only allowed in the room, no possibility to enter the breakfast room and the restaurant with your pet Room very small and basic accomodation for a 4* hotel -> Ibis Level Very expensive for the catergory of room

Great Location - Room very clean - Nice breakfast

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Superior Double Room with Dune View

I like staffs are very welcome even the room are very good and bed are comfortable 😙In General their services is wonderful. Like breakfast but this should go till 12.00 to give guest more time to relax.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

• Superior Double Room with Dune View

When I requested a small pillow, a staff member brought me a very used and dirty pillow. I called reception and a much better one was delivered to my room.

I simply refuse to pay €18,50 for breakfast. I enjoyed breakfast at the small hotel on the other side of the street. The conference room was excellent and the support from the audio/visual company was also just excellent.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

• Deluxe Twin Room

Staff was uninterested when we arrived. Instead of Deluxe Twin Room with two queen size beds, spacious sitting area and bath, we had one chair, narrow shower and a twin bed cramped in under a curtain that would not close. Room was last on the corridor, hence smaller than other like ones and next to staircase door and staff service rooms; so clapping doors till late and from early. We had a poor night sleep. When we complained next morning we were told to have been "upgraded" to a Superior Double room with sea-view; though smaller this was more expensive than the spacious room we booked at the rear. After some challenge however, they admitted this room was max same price (and even this I do not believe). Feeling remains we were made to fit their planning in a left over corner room. We refused the first offer for price reduction and got a better one. However, expecting the promised comfort and getting a poor night sleep instead, it remained a disappointment that a couple of euros don't repair. Hotels should not change bookings that were made specifically and for a reason without informing their guests.

Breakfast was good. Complaint was sorted by financial compensation after some insistance.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

• Superior Double Room with Dune View

Everything was absolutely amazing, only one little letdown I'm sorry to say was room service, we waited 90 minutes for two hot dogs and when they did arrive they were warm and not cooked properly, apart from that 10 out of 10

The room and view where absolutely fantastic, thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

Lovely hotel situated on the beach. The sea view from our room was terrific. Friendly staff and good hotel amenities. We enjoyed our stay here and would definitely recommend it.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

• Superior Double Room with Dune View

For the price and being a four star hotel, breakfast should be included. Even the beds at the beach which belong the the hotel should be free of charge. 4 star hotel must be a 4 star hotel!

Location is very good, Rooms fine, Cozy

• Reviewed: 17 September 2016

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

Lack of parking during busy periods, Beach Club booking process inflexible.

Location, food at both breakfast and in the Smugglers bar/restaurant. Professionalism and attitude from 95% of the staff.

• Superior Family Room

The hotel parking can be booked only by reserving the rooms on the hotel website. When asked about the posibility of booking on arrival, the reception staff said on a quite unfriendly and harsh tone that give it was booked on Booking.com, is not possible, and next time book on their website. The first person I spoke with was also kind of saying that go and find parking yourself when asked about alternatives. The second person, though, mentioned that there is a very big parking behind the hotel, at the same price as the hotel's own parking. Re room comfort, the beds are much too soft, can't sleep properly in them.

The location is excellent, near the beach, and it is the last large hotel on the Scheveningen Promenade. The Family Rooms are actually two single rooms joined in one, and are great for travelling with small children.

• Superior Family Room

Breakfast was good but a bit crowded (bigger room would be nice with refills more often) but still delicious !

Family room is very spacious and great with kids. Perfect location, right on the beach. Indoor swimming pool is a plus since the sea is usually very cold.

• Reviewed: 12 September 2016

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

Reserving a parking space only possible if you book on the hotel's website! The beach club... No info available that we need to make a reservation for beach sunbeds and the staff of the club is rude. On the second day, we were unable to use the sunbeds although there were many around... Later at the hotel I heard that many guests had problems with the beach club. The reception was unable to find a solution but they were very kind and provided even discounts to make us feel less frustrated... I tend to believe that the Beach Club does not prefer to serve hotel guests because other clients pay the double amount for sunbeds.

Beautiful location, view, rooms.

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

• Superior Family Room

Parking. When reading the small print about parking it states, "no reservations required" that actually means: they won't honor a booking.com reservation as a reservation and you will park in the public parking up and over the hill. The hotel states that "no parking is available" there was an available spot the entire time we were there. The hotel saves the parking for people who reserve directly through there site. If parking is important you, I would book directly through their site as it is a wonderful hotel.

location and staff

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

• Superior Family Room

We stayed in a deluxe family room with 3 children, aged 13, 10 & 8. We asked for an extra bed (for our youngest daughter) which was provided without any problem. There was a super variety of breakfast choices, the 'make them yourself' Belgian waffles were a winner with all of our children. Super location right at the end of the beach and next to local tram and bus services make it easy to reach. We found the staff very helpful and friendly. We'll definitely be back.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Superior Double Room with Dune View

Too noisy with barking dogs all night . And poor room service. The hotel shoudn't be allowing pets inside the rooms!

The location is great walking distance from the beach

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

• Superior Double Room with Dune View

Rooms are seriously outdated and need a makeover, although they do have a certain charm. The food at the restaurant is mediocre. Skip the breakfast and don't come with a car, otherwise €€€€.

Excellent location directly at the beach. Lovely park close to the hotel. Five-star view from the balcony.

• Reviewed: 14 July 2016

• Superior Double Room with Dune View

Breakfast price is a bit high.If you have only 2 slices of Bread, an egg, Coffee and some fruit.

NATO special prices, and the atmosphere in and around the Hotel.

• Reviewed: 13 July 2016

• Superior Double Room with Dune View

There was one hell of a party going on in one of the beach bars close to the hotel, very loud music and constant thumping of bass resulting in us being unable to sit on the balcony or even have the door open on what was a very hot night. Not a location if you are looking for peace and quiet!

Nice hotel, clean and comfortable room. Friendly staff and very good breakfast. Lovely views from room

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

The constant noise level from beach bars and parties on Saturday and Sunday right into the night was tortuous. No mention of this major problem appeared on the hotel website and when reported to reception and management staff they acted as if surprised by this obvious negative element of staying at the Calton Beach !

Great sea view with balcony. Comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: 6 July 2016

Food choices were very limited, except breakfast which was too expensive.

Very comfortable bed/pillows, nice easy chair, and beautiful view. Easy beach access and lounges.

Location near facilities and public transport

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

Room too small - not superior

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

The breakfast was awesome and value for price. The sea view room was superb and there upgrades met expectations.

• Superior Family Room

rooms are old fashion. renovation is needed

top location very nice staff.

Price of breakfast and having to pay for leisure facilities

Location and ambiance

• Superior Double Room with Dune View

The hotel is over rated, it needs a fresh hand if paint also the tea cups In the room were dirty.

• Superior Double Room with Dune View

Location near the beach. Good size of rooms with sea and dune view. Availability of bike rentals (including e-bikes).

The beach

Hotel parking was not available

Close to the beach

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

Breakfast was not reflecting the quality it should, we can compare and it was definitely below standard.

No care & love from the receptionist, no sincere smile! Just busy busy...

• Superior Family Room

Expensive breakfast. For 30 euro we ate at a brasserie with 4 persons really nearby

Sea view and pool

• Superior Double Room with Dune View

scheveningen is not the kind of beach town i like

the view from the reakfast room at the beach

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

nothing all was very good

everything the food and the staff

every thing was fine

great breakfast

The booking.com was not registered in the Carltons system at arrival. We had our print.

All ok

Small down side was a rattling front door due to strong winds (east facing room).

The fresh made omelette

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

Restaurant could be slightly improved

Bed extra comfortable, nice decoration, staff nice and efficient

• Superior Family Room

The hotel is extremely old and not very clean

The bed was confortable, the breakfast is really good

Lack of elevator

• Superior Double Room with Dune View

Not enough staff on reception- waited long time to be seen

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

Whilst I managed to park in the hotel car park I was somewhat disappointed I could not book this

friendlyness of the staff

Great breakfast and really friendly staff. The family room with the kid's separate bedroom was ideal. Great team links to the city as well.

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

Nice rooms with a good location on the beach next to really good restaurants. Get a room with a sea facing balcony. Pool is nice too.

All was perfect.

Beautiful seaview from room's balcony. Cosy room. Excellent location, restaurant, bar of the hotel.

Browse Carlton Beach traveller photo gallery