Reviews of Hotel Citadel 3 stars

Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 100, Amsterdam City Centre, 1012 SG Amsterdam, Netherlands

#210 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

Under renovation, noisy building work. Walls to corridor are paper thin, could hear everyone coming out of lift. Rooms are small, tv rubbish signal - only one English speaking channel.

Very comfy bed, clean adequate, lovely staff. Breakfast was included. Great location

The rooms were horribly small (there was no space to keep luggage) and the bathroom was a very tiny place. There is no air-conditioning but they had provided a small fan, which was some relief. The room used to become like furnace during the day if the windows were closed. Staying there for 4 nights was tough as some construction going on as well. Not at all worth the money we spent. Most expensive hotel in our trip and most unsatisfying!

Except the location of the hotel and the inclusive breakfast, I didn't find anything else great. The staff was friendly and suggested good areas around Amsterdam for activities, food and shopping. Apart from this it was a big disappointment.

Bathroom was small, even though new it was not practical for the older guest. Also the bedroom was taken up by the bed with no real chair or table.

The hotel was ideally located for many tours, historical places, shopping streets, large and small restaurants/pubs,

They should have closed to finish refurbishment or have a red big bore in booking website. I would never book it

The hotel was under renovation, there is a tiny note on booking website apparently saying this but I didn’t see it when I booked. Major refurbishment, too much noise, builder are coming in the room when they need. Was just bad

Nothing, all good!

The beds were comfy, the rooms were clean, the hotel has been recently renovated and it was everything you'd expect. Rated down slightly because prices were high due to Kings Day, our view was also scaffolding at the time, because they're renovating, but not doubt by the time this review is read, it'll be down. Good place to stay for business or leisure.

The room was very warm, no AC, balcony doors didnt open all the way because of construction or something going on outside. Breakfast was lacking, For the price i paid i wish i had chosen somewhere else

Me and my partner were very disappointed with our stay. It was our first trip away together and we thought this looked like a lovely hotel from the photos advertised on the website. However, when we arrived our room looked nothing like the photos online. Our room was extremely small and not very spacious like it appeared on the images, there was also no air conditioning - just a very small plug-in fan which made it hard to sleep at night as the room was very warm. On the website it also stated that the lift would be out of order but nothing else was mentioned. We were woken up by construction workers at 7am and we couldn’t see out of our windows due to scaffolding. We were also told that breakfast would be served until 11am, however the staff started to clear the food away at 10am which meant there wasn’t much to choose from. I would not recommend this hotel to anybody and it definitely wasn’t worth the amount of money we paid.

The only positive thing about this hotel was the location. All of the attractions were within walking distance and it was surrounded by plenty of shops and nice restaurants. The staff were also friendly, helpful and understanding.

The room was small and cold. When we arrived there was no remote control for the TV. One morning at 8:50 there was a very loud drilling going on so you could hardly keep up a conversation.

The location is fantastic. The staff at the reception was nice and the breakfast was good.

Our room was very small, situated between the elevator and the stairs. This gave a very noisy experience in the evening and in the night. The door did not keep the noise out. The bahtroom was also small and it was not suited for two persons Our friends were more lucky an had a better room when it came to these objects

The breakfast buffet was very nice with a lot of delicious things Nice and clean in the room and in the reception area

I've been traveling through Europe for three months and have stayed in many hotels in many cities. All booked on booking.com. This was the absolute worst experience I've had! When I first arrived I asked for a larger bed, but the hotel staff was of very little help only telling me that the hotel was fully booked. I then went up to my room to find it was like a closet. The sheets were dirty, the bathroom smelled of sulfur and when you flushed the toilette you could smell the water backing up into the shower pipes. Also, when I put a towel down on the floor in the bathroom to soak up the water from the shower it turned completely yellow - it was obvious that the bathroom floor was not clean at all. The door was also broken and looked like it had been recently broken into. The room was like a sauna and the floor was burning hot. I made sure the heat was turned off and opened the window, but this did not help. I asked the front desk what was going on with the heat and was told "They were working on it and to just use the fan in the room." The heat was never fixed in the three days I was there and as a result I had to sleep with the window open each night and subject myself to the city noise. As if that wasn't bad enough, the bed was made for a child and incredibly uncomfortable. I literally got no sleep the first night. When I asked to be moved to another room or to be able to check-out and receive a refund, the hotel staff told me there was nothing they could do for me. That they didn't give refunds and that they had no more rooms to move me to. The didn't seem to care at all about my level of comfort during my stay. And at over $250 dollars a night - I was blown away at the disregard.

Quite Expensive for 3 star hotel which is under going renovations, there was No AC, single bed mattress on top of another mattress which kept on sliding down, I almost fell twice in the night. Did not have even soap or shampoo for bath (I have never been in a hotel which does not provide this) there was this liquid hand wash which I had to use for bath, Check out was 11 am (normally it’s 12)

Location was good, staff was professional, clean

Room was too small for 3 beds and was overpriced. They are in renovation so things might improve.

Friendly staff, clean room, comfortable beds, good breakfast well located in city center close to Central station, easy to check in-out, luggage room available, a bit pricey for the size and location of the room.

broken elevator...no help to bring up suitcases to 5th floor when checking in. Broken heater in the room and the bathroom = cold!! not fixed during 2 days stay!

the position

When accessing the wifi I had to do so through my Facebook account, wasn't able to do so through my e-mail address as advised - didn't like this.

Beds were comfy, room was quiet, all in all in was good stay.

With the shortcomings of the property - eg not working etc, the staff could have been more courteous and the rates should have been adjusted accordingly.

The noise. Not from outside, but from the inside. The door isolation of the bedroom is awful so you hear everything that is happening in the corridors, people talking, walking, and each time someone opens a door, you will definitely hear it loudly slam.

The location is very good. Walking distance from all the main attraction, but far enough to not be in the middle of the confusion. The breakfast was ok for this type of hotels.

The weather.

( This questionnaire asks who I was with and there is no Wife or spouse to tick. I think PARTNER devalues Wife.( Please add wife) The reviews don't give this hotel a very good reviews, ignore them, We found it excellent, clean, adequate size room, good breakfast and good location. I just hope they don't put the price up by what I have said.

No lift available and problem with stairs. 2 rooms four storeys apart from each other. Radiator thermostat missing so heating on full continuous - too hot - told staff but nothing was done. Twin Beds very soft, small and very close almost like a double - but rooms were very small also could not open bathroom door fully - too close to bed.

Breakfast was lovely and plenty of choice. Housekeeping very good.

The lift wasn't working so was given a free bottle of water and a chocolate bar. Unfortunately my room was on the 5th floor. The hotel exterior was being refurbished which I was not aware of when I made my booking. I was a bit alarmed to hear and see workmen outside my 5th floor window at 8am.

We're traveling with a wheelchair and the elevator was out of order. Then we found out that our room was in the 2. floor. Quiet hard for my wife to get up the stairs.

very friendly staff!

It was my 4th visit of Amsterdam. And second but probably last stay in Citadel hotel. My first visit here in year 2016 was nice but second (current) visit in March 2018 was different. So I did not like (who would?): 1. Elevator did not operated during our visit for 4 days. I am pretty sure that even much longer. We were informed about that only on entrance, but not earlier. Room on 5th floor! No discount in price or other compensation. 2. It was really cold in the Room and the heating was OFF at visit time. March of 2018, there was cold and windy outside! Additional electric heater was OFF too. 3. It was cold in the Bathroom during whole 3 nights/4 days stay. 4. Mornings started with reconstruction works NOICE at time 7:30. 5. Electronic door keys are not stable. They lost codes even without contact to mobile phone or magnets. 6. I need the Invoice. Now I know that it was so difficult to produce ) It took few days and few editions ). Good that solved. Thank you. 7. Too expensive for such service. I would like to come here once again if all these problems will be solved in positive way )

It was my second but probably last stay in Citadel hotel. My first visit in year 2016 was fine, but second (current) visit in March 2018 was different. So I still like: 1. Location, 2. cleanliness, 3. breakfast was quite good.

The downside of our stay was that the elevator was "temporarily" out of order and our room was on the 5th floor. There was also work going on and we were awoken by drilling around 6am. The radiator in our room was not working but there was a plug in heater but these are not safe to leave on through the night and it was sub zero! We discovered that the elevator had been out of action for 3 months! We had not been informed - though we heard another client being told that they had sent the information out by email - as we had booked through booking.com we had no direct communication of this.

The breakfasts were very good.

The hotel was under renovations so the elevator was out of use and I was on the 4th floor. The bathroom smelled just terrible. I think the smell was coming up the drain.

The location as great. The room was very comfortable. The breakfast was excellent. The staff went out of their way to make everything else just right!

The lift was broken and we were on the 5th floor, which wasn't fun. They didn't respond to my partners email about doing something special for my 21st birthday. The breakfast wasn't great.

The bed was very comfy and in a really good location

Refurbishment work going on so no lifts - Poor man had to carry my heavy case up to 4th floor & very tiring after a day of walking around having to climb loads of stairs when we got back. No good for elderly or disabled. Bathroom very small & extractor fan wasn't working so very steamy. A lot of noise from trams & traffic as main road outside, windows are not double glazed.

Lovely hotel & very easy to find, only 5 mins walk from Central Station & 2 minutes from Dam square. Rooms small but comfy & very warm. Staff very helpful & friendly. Breakfast excellent, plenty to choose from. Lounge area very pleasant.

Don’t go if you have struggling walking stairs as they are very steep and there is a lot, the floor our room was on was so hot!

It was in an excellent location, beautiful hotel with lovely rooms! And lovely reception staff and waiting staff at breakfast would all go the extra mile

Room wasn’t ready until an hour and a half later 3.30 instead of 2pm Although we were informed of building work i did not expect to be woken 7.30 am with machinery and workmen on the roof right above our room! Unacceptable No lift and we were on too floor had to walk up 11 flights of stairs, was not amused at all. Mirror no where near plug sockets, very small room, although decorated nice it was not a comfortable room and pleased it was only one night.

Staff were great & accomodating Bed was comfortable Room was clean

There was nothing wrong with the property.

Great location, great staff, great room!! Good food, helped to print boarding passes for our flight home. Cleaned daily, fresh towels everyday! No issues.

This was our second visit to Amsterdam and we didn’t even consider booking a different hotel after staying here before, perfect location, and very clean. Both receptionists were very friendly & welcoming. Our complimentary energy bars came in handy after walking up to our room on the 4th floor 😁 (renovations where been done)

We were not informed before we got there that there was work going on in the hotel which meant there was no lifts available and we were put in a room near the stairs which meant the noise all night of people coming and going was very loud. The first morning we were there I was woke at 7.40am thinking someone was coming through the window. When I looked outside it was workmen on the fire escape. I did complain about this and it didn’t happen again. Had I have known all this work was getting done I would have booked somewhere else. The breakfast was served from 7-10 am but it was cold most mornings. It wasn’t cheap at 648 for 4 nights. Disappointing for the money.

Lovely friendly staff. Great location just short walk to Dam Square.

No elevator hard to climb up

The room design is nice love the wallpaper paper. Room service cleaned our room Everyday so clean and new tower . Diner place is nice design too No aircon just a small fan if summer maybe this not a good idea ! Staff is helpful !

I didn’t like the cleanliness of the rooms, they were quite dusty and unclean. The breakfast was nice but hard work to chase up the missing breakfast items.

How convenient the hotel is to the central amsterdam.

The room was not clean when we arrived. the wifi connection was poor the tv could not connect to the internet. The lift was out of use for the whole stay meaning we had to climb 3 flights of stairs. we was woken up numerous times in the mornings from loud work which was taking place in the hotel lift which was situated right at the back of our room. Very overpriced for what it is.

The location was ok

The room was not clean when we went in, had to ask for an area in the room to be cleaned. The beds where not made on a daily basis, I had turned the duvet over each morning and it was never checked. Also when we arrived we where told that the lift was broken and that I had had an email to tell us this, we had not received any email and one party was in the 5th floor, however they where moved to the 1st floor the following day. Don’t think they emailed because I would have had time to change hotels.

The location. Breakfast

Noise from workmen started round about 8am which had woken us up then the noise from other guest banging doors at night

Really comfy bed, room was clean & facilities where great. Would stay here again :)

Lift not working until late summer this year.

A lovely small hotel with a great breakfast. There are only 6 or 7 rooms on each floor and they are spotless. Good lighting and a huge flat screen TV. The location is excellent. A 10 minute walk from the station and near all the attractions. We didn’t get a tram once!! There is a huge supermarket further down the street which sells excellent cheeses, cold meats, rolls and salads. You can also buy pizzas, lasagnes, etc and they will heat them up for you. Dam Square is over one block and we even walked to The Rijksmuseum although it did take 40 minutes. The staff in the hotel are all friendly and helpful. There is an excellent coffee machine which you can help yourself to day and night. The continental breakfast is great and fresh. The only downside at the moment is the fact that the hotel is having an upgrade and the lift is not working. Very awkward if you are on a high floor. The workmen are noisy, start at 7.30 am and smoke and play music all day. I haven’t marked the hotel down for this as it is temporary, but the first we knew was two days before we travelled and I think you should know before you book. Also, a little niggle, we booked with a well known booking company and expected to pay on arrival, but the money was taken out my account a month before we got there. Other than that, a super hotel and I would gladly go back.

In general an unexpected bad experience with reasons everywhere: The room and the bathroom smelt bad. The shower cabin was leaking water so that the bathroom was full of water, without having a evacuation hole. The elevator wasn’t working. The hotel looked like it was under a permanent renovation. Old room without too many improvements.

Clean sheets - maybe the only thing that was actually as expected.

There was no heating in the room, the room was super small, the bathroom could have been cleaned much better, overall this hotel was not worth the money i paid and I wouldn’t stay there again

The staff were friendly

Unaware of building works . No elevator working and room on 5th floor. I have health issues asthma and fibromyalgia and was told this was only room available when we arrived.. Noisy builders starting work at 7.30am. So not a relaxing stay. Notice of building works so we could change hotel or a discount would of been nice. Over priced considering we were woken every morning by 7.30am by loud noise due to builders. Lights hummed and flickered also .

Clean room and comfortable beds

My room didn't face the street, but it was okay.

Location is excellent and the room had everything I needed it. The breakfast buffet was good! The receptionists were very helpful!

Great location. Comfortable rooms. Friendly & helpful staff. Lift currently not in use due to refurbishment but offered to carry our luggage up to our rooms for us.

Out of order elevator. Didn’t enjoy the walk. Glad I didn’t have any luggage as 4 flights with 20kg suitcase would have really annoyed me. Disappointed this was not rectified quicker.

A decent small buffet breakfast.

I think the hotel should be closed due to the renovation work!! We were told lift wasn’t in use but in fact the lift was not there and lots of work being done to the lift shaft. When we arrived a huge crane blocked part of the front of the hotel. Rooms were very small and paper thin walls. Our room was next to the stairs and the lift shaft being installed. Very noisy both day and night. The door to our room was very misfit as you could see outside around the edges and was not soundproof at all.

Very small room, bathroom not up-to-date and very small washing table. Also, there was a problem with the sink, the water leaked out and it gave a smell, but they fixed it.

Elevator was out of order and on 4th floor due to refurbishment.

Comfy bed, great location, newly refurbished room. Great breakfast options. Would come back

Bed was uncomfortable, actually it felt like it was broken. The lift was out of order which we were only told about the day before out non refundable stay. And the crane appearing outside our 4th floor window at 5am on Friday morning was unwelcome.

The location of the hotel is excellent, being close to most of the main attractions and with a tram stop just outside. The breakfast was good.

No lift 5 floors up , banging and drilling 7.30 am every morning . No water for a full day . The bathroom very small . The only good thing was location

Stayed on first floor at the front, underneath was the hotel entrance, people were smoking and talking quite loudly early in the morning, maybe need an area away or at back of hotel for smoking?

Have stayed at the Citadel every time we have visited Amsterdam, (for over 10 years now) Great room and facilities! Staff were really friendly and informative Brilliant location in the city, everything is easily accessible

The room was small, crowded and dirty, we had cockroaches in the room. Breakfast was below the minimum, and the dining room was small and cramped and sometimes had to wait in line until someone had finished and left. Worst of all is that the elevator did not work, I had to go up and down 5 floors at a time with back problems, and the staff was not interested. The hotel needs to update this in advance or offer a free cancellation instead of or compensate customers. It can not be assumed that a five-story rise on the stairs is obvious. It was a nightmare

The location is excellent, the rooms are really quiet, and the staff was fine

The check-in time was 2pm which was very late, particularly as we had arrived in Amsterdam at 9.30am, and my son was exhausted and not feeling well. Nowehere on Booking.com or hotel Citadels's website was that information given!!

The staff were lovely and friendly and very helpful. The breakfast was generous and delicious. Its a lovely hotel with a great location!

The lift was in no use the days we went so we had to take the stairs to the 6th floor which it was exhausting. Also the pictures of the room I booked werent the same with the room I got.

Staff were helpfull and the breakfast was very nice. Location was good also as you could find a lot of shops around

I travel to Amsterdam every year and I always try to stay at Hotel Citadel or Sint Nicholas , They own both Hotels , THEY ARE SIMPLY THE BEST , THEY ARE BOTH FANTASTIC IN EVERY WAY , BUT MOSTLY THE STAFF

the lift broke and we had to go up 7 flights of stairs one day and we tried to call reception (it said press 9 for reception) but it didn't work.

the stay was great the location is great the breakfast is a plus

No drawer space. Would have liked free tea/coffee making facilities. No check in allowed until 2pm

The beds were really comfy. Staff were helpful and friendly.

Rooms were very small and shower facilities no good enough standard. Breakfast was mainly continental, however for the price I would have expected more.

Clean and cosy

Breakfast could be a little bit better.

Bed was perfect, too cosy. Breakfast was average but different choices. Distance was amazing. Walking distance to everything.

Staff attitude, asked for an iron, I had to get it myself from reception as she was on her own. Lift wasn't working. Took two days to get a notice on the lift to tell us. The first room we got put it, was nothing like the picture you see. Bathroom was awful and tiny, noise from the street was crazy loud. Not even to mention the carpet. Like you would never touch it without having socks on etc. The noise from the corridor was a bit of a constant, staff made no effort to be quiet. Could hear the people in the next room.

The bed was comfortable.

Floor of the room was a little dusty and gathered on your shoes/socks.

Staff were friendly and kept our luggage until we could check in. Beds were comfy and the rooms modern with a tablet in the room for information on the hotel and local things to do. Room was cleaned daily with fresh towels.

the lift broke twice when we were there but stuff happens

the staff were all great nothing too much trouble for them, they even gave us a complimentary wine to celebrate our 50th birthdays (the reason for the trip), the beds were really comfy :)

Small room size so choose the room in the first floor it seems to be the biggest.

Close to everything. Modern. Quiet. Clean.close to Amsterdam Centraal

Room was tiny, no more than 10sq.m. Looked over the street with trams and window insulation was very poor. Felt like sleeping on the street. Pillow too high. I asked for ear plugs and smaller - pillow and there was none. Sink was clogged and filled with water. Poor reception lady was on her own and had to deal with keys not working. Not what I would expect for 85€.

Staff were friendly. Room was clean. Breakfast seemed good, plenty of variety.

The rooms are very small, if you are thinking to spend a lot of time in the rooms this is NOT the hotel for you. Or, if you are traveling with family like little kids, this is NOT the hotel for your either, because there is no space at all. This is a very average -more like 2.5 stars hotel- so do not expect any luxury at all. The bathroom is super small, when you seat in the toilet the sink is literally in your face making it very uncomfortable, and the shower also tiny. It is a very dated hotel overall, everything looks kind of old. But understand that this is what you get for the price you paid. Hotels in this central part of Amsterdam are very expensive. Just want to make you aware of what you will get for what you pay.

The staff is really great. The check in process and check out was super fast. The location of the Hotel is also very convenient, super close to the major attractions, museums, etc. The breakfast buffet was good (not spectacular) but good to start your day. The hotel is approximately 10 blocks away from the Central train station which is also very convenient. The Magna Plaza Mall which is only few blocks away is a waste of your time, there is really nothing there. I strongly advice everybody to go to the 'De Bijenkorf' Mall by the Dam Square, it is a very pretty mall, but the best is 'The Kitchen' restaurant in the upper floor - the food is spectacular!! if you like to eat good, go there!! plus you have free access to the restrooms because as the majority of the European cities it is a whole adventure trying to find a free restroom anywhere...

The noise coming from the Street, even if I was staying in a 4th floor. The single bed is too small. The wifi connection wasn't working.

The location.

The mattress was extremely soft with not much support. There was a lot of banging and clunking at night from a boiler/water pipes which disturbed sleep.

Great location in easy access of all our regular spots

Coffee machine was broken and when it was fixed the coffee still wasn't great- too bitter!

The mini muffin was alright! Breakfast was good, service was great room was lovely. Gorgeous window! The female receptionist who was on the desk at 6pm on Thursday 9th November was so lovely and accommodating- thank you!

Our sheets were dirty and we had to tell to change it, shower water was running noise all the time and the ceiling of bathroom was dirty that we had to tell them to clean it afterwards. Front desk were not friendly and even in the restaurant at breakfast time , we asked for more crosduanr and the gal said we are closing breakfast soon although they closed after 20 min. Not friendly all around . The excuse for all these problems S front desk days we are remodeling in jan and I️ Saj then you should not have your hotel in the system now .

Noth....

We Had agreat vacation there, perfect hotel, the location is super, 2 min walk to dam square..there are Alot of restaurants, bars, supermarkets, coffeeshops near the property, great breakfast

Location is everything, and this little hotel tucked in the center of Amsterdam is perfect for those who want to explore from a good starting point. The staff was very polite and breakfast was cute in the sense that it's quite modest but it still has all you need for a energising start of the day.

The shower is a strange set up and wets the bathroom floor. The bathroom was tiny and room was small, but that is to be expected from a European hotel, especially in an older building.

The staff was incredibly helpful and the free breakfast was more than we thought. Eggs, sausages, bread, fruits, cereal, meats and cheeses, coffees, tea, juices, etc. The location is perfect and very close to Dam Square and the Central Train Station. Overall, a great experience for the cost.

No real neagatives, just make sure you are down for breakfast well before 10am. It is served from 7am til 10am but they start to clear things away just before or dead on 10 o clock.

Location, friendly & comfortable.

The staff were not helpful, competant or polite. The housekeeping came at 7:30 in the morning and left dirty linen on the bed.

The location was right in the heart of the city centre. There was a great range of good food for breakfast and the bed was comfy

The cleaning crew needs to stop just walking into the room 8 in the morning. They do knock, but they open the door 1 sec after the knock so you don't have a chance to say something.

Love the hotel. Great hotel, great rooms, nice place close to some nice places to eat. You need to walk for around 15min to go to the ''middle of the city''. I loved the beds, the bath was amazing. The tram and the bus are right outside of the hotel. Great hotel for the price! :)

The bathroom was smaller than tiny. The shower was of very poor quality and wasn’t the cleanest. However the room was spotless although small and you have to ask for a front facing room.

We loved the location of the hotel. It was a stones throw from the Dam Square and walking distance to anywhere. The room was really small for the price but it was clean and tidy with a great (but noisy!!) bed.

We could hear all the noises from the corridor and rooms next to us.

Great location - 10 minutes away from the Central Station and 5 minutes away to the Dam square. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Good breakfast, great coffee.

Concern about the elevator, it makes rash move and sound before stop.

Great location.. centrum is just under 10 mnt walking. The room is clean and modern. Breakfast is also good.

Browse Hotel Citadel traveller photo gallery