Reviews of City Hotel 2 stars

Utrechtsestraat 2, Amsterdam City Centre, 1017 VN Amsterdam, Netherlands

#229 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

The hotel was in a really good location
    • Guest Room - 5 Persons - Shared Facilities

The staff was very rude, made us hand the key in every time we left the room so they could check we wasn’t smoking in the room, the guy on reception made us feel like he absolutely hated the English, full of sly comments and a bad attitude problem! I contacted the hotel on 3 occasions to make sure we had a room with a terrace and when we arrived they had no note on the system, the pillows was like a dirty yellow colour and looked like they had never bin washed, 1 of the bed sheets was full of black marks. This was by far the worst hotel I’ve ever stayed at In Amsterdam and I’ve bin 10+ times and stayed in some pretty nasty hotels in the past but they was all 100 times cleaner and a lot more friendly with us, I won’t be in a rush to stay there again even if they offered me a free night!

The hotel was in a really good location

Great location, right by the Rembrandt Square and lots of...
    • Quadruple Room

There is no lift and no one to help carry the bags, and there are many stairs so it can be difficult if carrying big luggage.

Great location, right by the Rembrandt Square and lots of restaurants. Clean and comfortable.

Never Again!
    • Guest Room - 6 Persons

Rooms were not clean. Our room was on the 4th floor, no elevator and very narrow stairs. Furniture inside the room were falling apart. Personnel came to my room at 11:00 and told me if I don't leave in 5 minutes They are going to charge extra day! It was so rude. They are asking for copy of credit card back and front at check-in which is illegal!

Location was ok.

If you're going for the first time.
    • Guest Room - 8 Persons - Shared Facilities

Walls were cracked. The shelves were abit dusty from not being in use.

Brilliant value for money. It is great for accommodation on a budget. Just outside rembrandplein square where on weekends it is really busy at night so many things to do.

Great location but poor service and lack of follow up by management.
    • Guest Room - 5 Persons

There was confusion about our room booking when we arrived and as a family of four (with two children), instead of being in the one room together which is what we had booked we were separated into two rooms on different floors. This was later corrected but the staff moved our belongings without our permission or knowledge. This was unacceptable to us and the inappropriateness of this was not acknowledged by the owner.

The location was central and convenient

The location very central

All the stairs, 3 or 4 flights, you need to be young and fit because the hotel staff won’t help you with you luggage Our room was extremely small and noisy.

The location very central

I would not recommend for ladies with big luggage
    • Guest Room - 6 Persons

We took a room for 6, it was the artic. Worst of all, we had to lug our luggage to the 4th floor, there was no lift or any one to carry them upstairs for us. There is no kettle for us to boil water for our morning coffee

The location was good, very near tram stop and to Amsterdam Central

Overall, a brilliant hotel for what we were after.
    • Guest Room - 5 Persons

The pillows on the beds were pretty much useless and our towels were not changed every day.

The room was perfect for our group of 5. We had 5 single beds in a large room with a balcony.

If you want to stay in Party Central this is your place

Very noisy through the early hours with clubs nearby and people walking home. Bathroom and toilet was outside the room with a key which I didn’t expect and was not so convenient.

It was extremely well located and if with a bunch of lads or lasses out to party a great location. Very clean and lots of stairs to keep your step count high!

Considering the great location and good value, it’s recommended
    • Guest Room - 6 Persons

There were no elevator in this hotel so upper levels are not suggested specially if you have luggages. I booked for a room for six persons and I trusted the facilities and the photos of the room but at the time of my arrival a totally different room at the 4th floor was given. After so many negotiations they agreed to give me a proper room which was in the first floor and it was Ok. However the bath and toilet was shared with two other rooms in the same floor.

Great location in the real heart of Amsterdam. Very good behavior of staff.

Really good location, wasnt too noisy in our room despite it...

The patches on the ceiling above the bed were not nice to look at. Pillows werent very comfortable and the gutter outside our window was full of water and attracted mosquitos

Really good location, wasnt too noisy in our room despite it being a busy area. Nice staff

Perfect location, friendly staff.
    • Guest Room - 8 Persons - Shared Facilities

Not enough AC power plugs in a room for 8 people. We all had smartphones and power banks and clearly it was not enough.

Perfect location, friendly staff. We had a sink in the room which is nice.

Ideal location for my sisters hen party

The square is very lively till 5am in the morning so take earplugs if you want to sleep with the window open

Beds were comfy, and even though we didn’t have a bathroom in our room it was only across the hall and wasn’t an issue. The location was ideal you could walk to wherever you needed, bars were all around the square if you wanted to stay local.

I would happily stay here again! It was prime location and great staff!
    • Guest Room - 8 Persons - Shared Facilities

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about avoiding all the stairs.

This hotel was in a prime location, which made it a lot easier to maneuver around the city. Everything you need is within walking distance. You are literally in the heart of the city and have an amazing view from your window.

The hotel called me numerous times before our stay making sure I was bringing the credit card I made the reservation with . I pre paid the room so that was a little odd. They ran the card for a security deposit and made a photo copy of both sides of my credit card . I wasn’t real happy that they keep that. When I questioned it they said that’s what management requires . The room looked like an old dorm room .

worst hotel ever

EVERYTHING. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. They broke into our room one day when we were out, they refused to give back our deposit even though the room was completely fine? Terrible staff, no help at all. Honestly if you want to ruin your holiday then stay here because it’s just horrendous.

Nothing - Absolutely Terrible..

Good location but basic for the price

There were cobwebs on the bathroom ceiling. One of our windows was cracked so we couldn't open that & the bathroom window had a whole in it so it was quite cold. It was expensive for what you got - It was basic for the price.

The beds were comfortable. Clean sheets. shower pressure was good. Clean towels every day. Good location (loads of bars & clubs on that square)

expensive

50 Euro deposit, I would of expected that in the price, not on arrival, didn't have my room cleaned whilst I was there, no where to place clothing that couldn't be hung up, describing how to use the safe was quick and insufficient, right next to a nightclub, very small room for 2 single beds, if I had to separate them then one of us would of had to have climbed over the other to get to the toilet

It was reasonably central

The hotel is in a great location and the staff is outstanding. It is clean and the response to any i
    • Quadruple Room

Our room was 87 steps straight up. To be honest, I thought I had made reservation for the other Amsterdam City Hotel.

The staff was outstanding. Had a room for 4 and it was sufficient for college friends or young people traveling together.

not worth the money

all of it

Convenience of the location, I can only assume because of the location it was as expensive as it was, however in my opinion way overpriced, at best I would barely give it one star, for the comfort and cleanliness of the place,, dripping shower, dirty shower curtain( had culture growing on it) towels I would only use as rags in my line of work

The heating worked and the location
    • Guest Room - 6 Persons

We were led to believe we had booked a spacious attic room with six single beds when we got there we were told that you don't book a room you book a bed we had a small room with 4 single beds and 2 bunk beds as a group of women aged around 50 we would never have booked bunk beds the room was very cramped but the beds were comfortable our room was not cleaned whilst we were there and we had to ask for clean towels. The stairs are a nightmare!!! There is no lift 89 stairs to the 3rd floor. The lady that was on duty on out 3rd day was downright rude to us and to another couple staying there.

The heating worked and the location

Best avoided.

-50€ deposit on check-in a nasty surprise. - noisy room, thin walls. Lots of banging - 3rd floor no lift. Tired legs - shabby interior for an expensive price. Wouldn’t recommend this place

Bad value for the money

Isolation is so baddddddd!!! I hear the music coming from the club, the bass is shaking the room, I hear all discussions in the street also I feel like my neighbour next door is in the same room as me

Position (but Can also be a negative point as the nearby square is full of clubs and thus super noisy)

Everything was as expected and very enjoyable. going back again.. already booked x

weather!!! it was very cold... but expected x

Location, was right on rembrandtplein. excellent shops, cafes and bars within walking distance and tram stop outside as well

Bad

False promotion: smoking hotel Small Writing: Each person pays a £50 deposit on arrival. Staff: Blunt, Rude TV didn't work Cold room. Noisy

Nothing really

Too expensive for what it is

It was very very noisy with a night club that's open to 5am just over the road. Bathroom moldy and hairs left in sink and shower, dark and dingy. Staff were not great, weren't allowed to take our room key out with us and they were chasing us out in the morning before check in time

Room was good but location meant so noisy we got no sleep!
    • Guest Room - 6 Persons

So noisy it felt like the window was open and a night club in the room!

Beds were comfy. Good space for family and hotel was central so convenient for sights.

Great location, clean but would not return as the room was not comfortable or easily accessible.

No elevator, shower stopped up, lights out in room, curtain mounted poorly and could not close, leg on one of the beds missing, plus four flights of steps to get to room. Room very stark and not comfortable.

Location and room was clean. Staff was pleasant.

High!

Nice people can make every place a good place! The view from my room was very cool and nice like I was a the top of everything, down the hotel you have actually everything you need! Thank you for your work :)

Would have been nice to have had what we had booked for instead of being told when we arrived.
    • Guest Room - 6 Persons

I had booked a smoking room with 6 single beds. When we checked in, we didn’t not have a smoking room nor were there the 6 single beds I had originally booked.

Location of the hotel to the center.

Very narrow steps. Deposit of 50€each wasn't mentioned anywhere. No reply when I proved that we can pay on the day, as the staff argue with me that there is no option like that. Too many calls with question about our arrival time where my email was sent what time we will arrive. We had to leave the key each time we left the room which was annoying as well.

It was a great location.

We stayed in the 6 person rooms. They looked nothing like the pictures online, much more cramped. Our rooms weren't cleaned or towels/toilet paper not even checked during stay.

It was a great location. Very central

Never again.
    • Guest Room - 6 Persons

Despite there being ashtrays in the room apparently it’s a no smoking hotel. We booked the “best room” and didn’t anticipate the shear volume of stairs. At least 5/6 levels. With no lift. We were told used towels had to go on the floor and would be changed for fresh upon daily room checks, we arrived back from our day out to find WET towels we used that morning thrown onto the beds and our bags. There is a €50 charge PP upon arrival they fail to mention on the site anywhere. The toilet is old and very smelly. We even bought bleach to clean it ourselves. The shower and toilet had no ventilation and smelt like a public rest room on arrival. If the door was opened the room soon started to smell musky and gross.

Not a lot.

Terrible, would never stay or recommend this place to anyone. Beware!!!

50 euro deposit for each person once we arrived. Had no idea that was part of their policy. Also told us no alcohol was allowed in our room? It’s in the heart of Amsterdam why do you think people go there. Huge party area it’s incredibly loud at night. You have to give reception your key every single time you leave your room. The beds are very hard, terrible pillow. Overall the worst place I have ever stayed.

Nothing. Worst experience I’ve ever had staying at a hotel/hostel.

The hotel is prime location, with clubs and coffee shops...
    • Guest Room - 6 Persons

The hotel is prime location, with clubs and coffee shops right next to it. Also you can get the 4 or 9 tram to central Dam, which was extremely easy. Will be returning to the hotel in July!

Bad experience!

The room are extreme not isolate the sound. The white people living next to us were playing games in room! Their voice were so loud that I cannot sleep well at night! I told them, but they still did that! They are so selfish and poor quality! By the way, the hotel does not have the lift! You have to carry the luggage by yourself! So If you want to have a good rest for next day, do not choose this hotel!

Excellent location! Small rooms, lots of stairs - tough if you have luggage)
    • Guest Room - 6 Persons

The room appeared larger in the pictures. May not be suitable for romantic trips, but quite OK for other leisure visitors.

Perfect location for visitors who want to explore the city on foot!! Very convenient location!

Great place for groups

The security questions about my card before arriving, far easier to show cards on arrival but understand sometimes people forget these!

Perfect location Friendly staff Basic room but exactly what you need/expect!

Overall, great location, easy to access and helpful staff. Would recommend to select individuals.

Security could be better. People stand outside the hotel door in evenings having a smoke and can easily hear you say your name and room number. Most staff knows their guests, but when there is a turn over in staff whom haven’t seen you before, a random stranger could easily say your room number and name and be let in. Would also be nice to have washing facilities on site or offer as a service for a cost. Especially during rainy season. Guests clothes get wet and musty smelling and there is no ammentities.

Great location, friendly & helpful staff. Rooms are to be expected for price paid.

Very unwelcoming, rude and low
    • Guest Room - 5 Persons - Shared Facilities

Very hostel like. One or two hotel staff which were extremely rude! (On arrival and throughout our stay). Hotel facilities are very limited, the room we was given had an unpleasant smell and was very dirty. The beds were uncomfortable and laughably small. They have one cleaner attending to every room in the hotel is what they told us when we arrived, as to why our room wouldn't be ready for an extra 2hours! Very stressful and unpleasant stay! AVOID!

The location is good.

Great city , disappointed for the hotel staff
    • Guest Room - 6 Persons

The arrogance of the personnel , never happened to me that at 10u30 , half hour before checkout the guy of reception knocks on door unpolite and say we have 30 min to go . NO RESPECT !!!

Incredible

You have to leave your key with reception when you leave the room. But it’s not a problem as reception is 24hr. There are a lot of steep stairs aswell

Location is so perfect, with a Starbucks underneath. The room was a good size.

great location

hotel was in the best location for us would highly recommend it but warn people there is no lift so if stairs are a problem this is hotel is not for you, staff were friendly and always there to help.

Never again!!

Staff was very rude, they collect your room keys on a daily basis when you are not in the hotel. Rooms are dirty, we saw two cockroaches in our room.

A great stay

Nothing comes to mind.

Quiet location and in easy walking distance of the town centre. The breakfast was excellent with a great continental selection. The room was clean and cosy. The owners are vety friendly and eager to help in every way. A great nights stay.

Not really good
    • Quadruple Room

Several: - The staff told us that if we wanted to exchange the towels we have to put it in the floor, but nobody changed it. We had to ask for them. - The bathroom and the room wasn´t clean enough. - They keep a copy of the credit card and the ID. - We have to deal with noisy group of guys in the room next to us during the night and it was difficult to sleep. - There is no telephone in the room. So, if we wanted to tell the reception something, we have to go downstairs and we were in the third floor over the recepcion (the reception is in the first floor).

The breakfast was very good, the staff was nice and the location is perfect.

Good location, and clean room.
    • Guest Room - 6 Persons

The staff member at City Hotel makes a copy of both sides of your credit card for deposits, which is totally illegal. I had never seen in Europe such a hotel or property does this. Making a copy of both sides of your credit card is part of your privacy. If you want to book a room at this hotel please bear in mind that your privacy is in danger. When I asked the staff guy you should not do that, he pretended to show me a relevant document. Then, I called booking.com customer service, and unfortunately, they could not help me except canceling my reservation.

Good location, and clean room.

A great little escape for the weekend!

Hotel required a 100 EU deposit, although we had already paid in full prior to arriving at the hotel. I don't mind this - however, as a traveller, being given 100 EU on the day that you're leaving, is a total pain, this ended up being converted back to GBP, at a loss incurred to myself. This information was not provided prior to our stay. Having to return the key to the hotel reception every time you leave the building is a little intrusive, whilst I can see the benefits and added security of this solution, it's a little invasive, and perhaps some creative thinking can be done to think of an alternate method of achieving this.

The location of the hotel is fantastic, located on the corner of Rembrandtplein Square about a 15 minute walk from Centraal Station. The free WiFi at the hotel is also to a good standard, no silly log in screens and automatically connected when returning within range. The view from the third floor, corner rooms were fantastic, giving a great view over the whole Square, both at nighttime, and daytime. There is a Starbucks directly opposite, definite bonus!

Clean & comfy but could do with an update.
    • Guest Room - 5 Persons - Shared Facilities

Stairs were very steep, there was no toilet paper when we got back one evening & even after asking for some it was not refilled in till the following afternoon.

Location was ideal

Friendly,helpful, accommodating front desk staff

We were given a room with a private but detached bathroom just outside our room. The staff were very accommodating and switched our room after two nights to a room on suite. Very noisy at night and despite the warm weather we could not keep the windows open because of the noise from the bar downstairs. No AC

Friendly,helpful, accommodating front desk staff

Nightmare in Amsterdam

It was the worst experience in a hotel!!. The rooms are outdated, old, smelly and really noisy. No good windows. The worst was that in the bathroom the ventilator was on all night , making a very strong noise that did not allow me to sleep. I asked from 7pm to 10pm to be fixed. Management did not care and told me they will look at it next day. Obviously their lack of responsibility and the attention was awful. Never ever I will go back to this hotel. There are plenty of hotels in the center with same price and good quality.

Nothing. Awful

Although it was a non smoking room, the room stunk like...
    • Quadruple Room

Although it was a non smoking room, the room stunk like cigarette smoke. We were also there for multiple nights but housekeeping did not come once during our stay.

Clean hotel that's not for everyone.

Confirming our booked-online reservation was a five-step process, including their requiring us to make an international call to them at an inconvenient time. I didn't realize there would be two very steep staircases. The attendant said he would bring up my bag when he could. He didn't. We had no cups. It was just an odd arrangement, outside of what I would expect for a standard hotel.

The location was nice,though Rembrandtplein is quite noisy. I think it's fine hotel for backpackers. It was clean and had a little table so you could have meals there.

Quiet room, comfortable room, scarcely furnished.value for money but too many steps.

Almost 100 steps to our room. I woul not have booked this if I'd known there was no elavator since I'm elderly. A lot of steps just to get to reception.

I thought I already had "I enjoyed it"

The damb stairs far to steep not regulation steps however its old and heritage listed so not allowed to change, but as my wife and I have lower back problems it made it difficult for us traversing 3 flights but was still good

location was excellent and was very close to all the sights and functions we wanted to go to many restaurant choices althought the "Old Bell" beneath the City Hotel was where we settled on to eat it was very olde world and reminded us of pubs we had been to in the UK.

Best Location .. No Elevator!!

There was no elevator and I got a room on the third floor! It sounds easy, but the stairs were very narrow and sloping was very dangerous!

The location was great. You can walk to restaurants, coffee shops and gift shops within 1 minute. The dam square is about 12 minutes walking.

Could not sleep because of noise, unsuitable for business trips.

The room was noisy made worse by a loud vent that was broken and could not be turned off. As a result I had two nights of awful-quality sleep. Based on my experience the hotel is unsuitable for business trips and I regretted my choice even though the room was clean and the shower in particular was working very well.

• Guest Room - 5 Persons - Shared Facilities

Have to give the key to reception whenever leaving which is annoying. Did not get fresh towels even when we followed the policy of leaving them on the floor when leaving the room. Also had to pay for the room again as I had had a new debit card. This made me incurre a card fee from my bank and had to wait 3 days for a refund leaving me short of money on my trip.

Comfy beds. Staff friendly. Clean room.

Centrally located and there are lots of restaurants, bars...

I thought staying at a hotel could avoid stairs as I'm traveling with my mom. However, you'll see a typical Holland style staircase, which is narrow and straight. There is no air conditioning in the room and it could get a little noisy at night as the hotel is located in a busy area. The toilet was old, small and dark, which gives us a bad impression. Whenever you head out, you have to leave the room key at the reception (due to security reasons as they have to keep track of people who are staying inside the hotel) When you go back to the hotel, you have to press the door bell and tell them your room number and surname in order to get back the room key.

Centrally located and there are lots of restaurants, bars close to the hotel.

Great place to stay to explore the Amsterdam nightlife!

The rooms were a bit small, though it's totally understandable since you're right in the middle of the centrum! The only remark I have is that the bathroom sliding door didn't fully close. Though since I was together with my boyfriend, it wasn't really a problem for us! :)

The hotel was right at the Rembrandtplein in Amsterdam. A lot of fun bars and clubs are like right in front of the hotel! If you're looking to explore the night life of Amsterdam, this is definitly the right place to be!

Probably won't take kids here again, but with group of friends ideal for a base to stay for few drin
    • Guest Room - 6 Persons

was quite a lot of bars and restaurants around us and because it was warm when we stayed we had the windows open and there was a lot of street noise outside however the hotel did provide fans a little dusty but made good use of them. The room above us had people in that where moving about late at night so we could here them.

It was a good location near shops trams restaurants bars ect and the hotel was friendly

Perfect location and hotel for a hen do, just what we needed

We had a 5 and 7 sleeper bedroom there is only one shower to share between those rooms so getting ready as a group Of 11 was challenging. The stairs to the hotel are also very steep if you are in active

The location of the property is excellent, it is a little noisy at night but you can expect that as you are in the square. The beds are very comfortable and rooms Were very clean,

It was stress free and easy
    • Guest Room - 6 Persons

Our room didn't get cleaned whilst we were there even when we left before the cleaners came.

The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, nothing was too much!

Would definitely not go back or recommend

We weren't informed that there was a €250 deposit on one room (6 bed) and a €200 deposit on the other (5 bed) incase of damage to the rooms. This is something the hotel only tells you at check-in. This really annoyed our group as it meant we lost money for the night. Though we did get the money back when we left, it would have been nice to have been told and therefore prepared to hand over that amount of money. It was also blatantly clear that the rooms were not cleaned properly as one of the radiators was disgustingly dirty. Black dirt and a sticky grease like substance filled the inside. On top of this there were stains on the bed and dead flys and moths on the window ledge. One room had a sink, which was clogged and dirty, with germs around the outside. It seamed like the manager (who was no where to be seen) was against the customers and trying to scrape money out of us at every opportunity. What became clear to me was the fact that if the customer did not have the money for the damage deposit, they would not be able to check-in, and with no refund available they would loose a lot of money they already paid. When I booked the hotel there was a message that I would pay at check-in. However I received a phone call a day later asking for a €100 deposit and €380 a week later, causing more problems for our plans and trouble for myself as I had to grab €100 out if no where. Poor poor hotel in a good location

Comfortable and enjoyable stay
    • Quadruple Room

Not much- the bathroom flooded quite easily and the fan was noisy during the night, but I have no real complaints.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again. Bed was comfy, staff were very friendly and helpful, room was well lit and in a good location.

The location is very central.
    • Guest Room - 6 Persons

We got a 6 person room and the room was completely different to the pictures shown. The room was so small that we could not even open our luggages and there were 3 bunk beds instead of 6 single beds. The facilities are old.

The location is very central.

Great location but that's all you get.

I understand that the property was pricey due to its location but that is literally all that you pay for. The room had broken lightshade marks on walls and was generally very dark and dingy. If you want a quiet nights sleep do not stay here as is directly above bars although this was OK for me as it is what I was here for. Communal shower was clean but fittings were broken and everything seemed very cheap. Also ALOT of steep stairs.

Very close to all bars and nightlife

Fun in Rembrandt Square
    • Quadruple Room

the stairs to get to the rooms.. only elevator missing..

Young staff who were knowledgeable about the area. Staff professional, hotel in the centre of the excitement . My children aged 18 & 14 loved the vibe & excitement of the square. City Hotel was well worth the money. We walked around as everything was in walking distances. Convenient, easy access from the airport.

Great stay- affordable lodging with friendly staff
    • Quadruple Room

Little hard to get to when we arrived at 11:00 pm. Took metro, but bus near hotel was not running- so had to walk about a mile with luggage. Maybe they could map out all ways to arrive there when get email reservation (detailed bus numbers, etc.)?

Great breakfast! Friendly, multi-lingual staff! Very helpful! Room was comfortable for the four of us. Close enough to old city center by tram.

Painted over mold on the bathroom ceiling.
    • Guest Room - 6 Persons

Painted over mold on the bathroom ceiling. Mold on the bathroom tiles. Floors dirty. 100 steps, no elevator. Parking $60.00 per day across the street.

Bad customer services.
    • Quadruple Room

The fact i was sat in my room and got a knock being accused of smoking in room when i hadnt and he threatened to take my deposit which is not great customer service.

In a brill spot

Good location next to Rembrandt square.

Big steep staircase on entering the building..difficult to carry a heavy suitcase up there on your own.

Good location next to Rembrandt square. Doesn't take long to get to Dam square and attractions by bike. Room was spacious and tidy.

Great place to stay, but please be aware that they will ask for a 50 euros deposit per person
    • Guest Room - 8 Persons - Shared Facilities

I had to give them a 300 euros deposit which was not stated in the booking confirmation. It was shocking.

Great location, friendly staff and good facilities.

City hotel
    • Guest Room - 6 Persons

All the stairs to the room! And the bunk beds after a night out was not easy to climb up!

Location was excellent, tram stop just outside of hotel and bars and restaurants.

The location is obviously excellent.

The windows in my room didn't seal out street noise very well at all, it was hard to sleep. There was no bathroom light, so I had to shower in the dark.

The location is obviously excellent.

Browse City Hotel traveller photo gallery