Reviews of Auberge de Smockelaer 3 stars

Givelderweg 2, 6276 PB Heijenrath, Netherlands

#3 of 5 hotels in Heijenrath

Based on 107 B&B reviews

• Standard Twin Room

Walls were a little thin so we were woken quite early by other guests moving around in the corridor. Check for a downstairs room if you have mobility problems.

A beautiful situation. Owners very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was tasty and plentiful.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Family Room (6 Adults)

Everything! Warm welcome, amazing old farm building, rustic feel, lovely TV and breakfast room with lots of charm and beautiful furniture, delicious breakfast ! We had dinner in the restaurant and it was really good. Perfect location for a day un Maastricht.

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

• Family Room (4 Adults)

Not worth the money, 165 Euro for three. Worst place we have stayed in the Netherlands. Beds too soft and really uncomfortable. Most notably, they first refused to take any credit card, not even the one we reserved the room with through Booking.com.There was nothing written or indication that they would not take credit cards. When they changed their minds after quite a bit of bickering they then said they had to charge an extra 3%. In all my time booking through this website have never had any issue like this. In fact, the information I had printed said they would take a credit card. The owner or whoever was working there then told me she thought I was being dishonest about not having 165Euro on me. I had planned accordingly and paid our credit card ahead of time. I emptied my wallet for her and she still refused to take the card without adding and extra 3%. She blamed booking.com, and that it wasn't her problem. This was a horrible experience and the owner clearly doesn't care about any sort of customer relations or return customers.

We liked the restaurant, chef, and wait staff. In particular the Tunisian man.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Standard Twin Room

There is NO swimming pool., despite the fact that one is shown in the pictures attached to this property. I had especially chosen it for this reason so was very disappointed. They said that the pool was at another property of theirs and that the fault was with Booking.com. We were told that we could put out food in the fridge. We put about £30 worth of groceries in it, but when we came back in the evening the fridge was empty and we were told it had been thrown away by the cleaners. This struck me as really strange, as it was obviously fresh food and there were several bottles of beer and other drinks in there. In mitigation they gave us a hamper of drinks and crisps and a free main course in the restaurant. Lastly, when I went to pay, they wouldn't accept Visa or Mastercard, which I thought really odd, as they must be the two most common types of card. I was told "this is just a small village in Holland." I have never had either of these cards rejected anywhere in the world! I had to drive to the next village to get cash.

A very pleasant auberge in a lovely location, with good views and facilities. We stayed in the barn conversion, where the bathrooms are shared, but we knew this in advance and it was OK. The breakfasts were fine (though the only cooked items were hard boiled eggs). Staff were friendly and obliging.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

Separated toilet from bedroom

Excellent breakfast

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

• Standard Twin Room

Super breakfast, super staff!

• Reviewed: 23 April 2016

The swimming pool that appears in the pictures doesn't exist, as is part of another hotel of the same owner

Very quiet

• Reviewed: 8 April 2016

Room facilities and access (very steep and narrow stairs)

Position and settimg, friendly staff, restaurant and service

There are also 5 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.