Reviews of Van der Valk Hotel Hilversum/ De Witte Bergen 4 stars

Rijksweg 2, 3755 MV Eemnes, Netherlands

#2 of 2 hotels in Eemnes

• Economy Double Room

Got room allocated which was right next to motorway with bad sound isolation. When asking an alternative room, the only had a room with upgrade available. This took us to a room which had just been renewed + a bit further away from the motorway. However noise was still annoying at night and curtains did not fully block the light in the mornings, so we had short nights.

After uprading the room, Good size room with bubblebath. Also close to forest with good walks.

• Economy Double Room

The room was right next to a very busy motorway and the traffic noise was bad all night. The was no remote for the TV and even when I asked for one, it never arrived. There was also no wastepaper basket in the room, the kettle was on such a short lead that it had to be placed on the floor to reach the wall socket and once boiled I discovered that the coffee in the sachet was congealed and had obviously been there a long time. The milk pot was also not really worth considering.

• Economy Double Room

For a short term stay I wouldn't nit pick on silly things, and certainly not for your affordable price for this stay, (although having said that, the TV is pretty ancient). :)

We are travellers from Australia, and are doing some family visiting, touring and sightseeing. We used your hotel as a short term base for Amsterdam and Hilversum, and we had a great time with that and with your staff at the reception area (very helpful) and in the restaurants, all your staff were friendly.

• Comfort Twin Room

Water pressure, shower goes from hot to cold to hot...needs to looked at

Nice but big, comfy hotel, easy for travelling thru and need an overnight stay, remarkably good restaurant for such a big place.

• Economy Double Room

Only thing was the beds were hard. Other than that, nothing was wrong.

This was an amazing hotel. Rooms are updated and have jetted tubs! This hotel was beyond amazing! Close to Amsterdam. I cannot explain how amazing this hotel was.

• Comfort Twin Room

Not a modern facility and not walking distance to anything.

The room was spacious but there were no drawers to put clothes/ items. The chair arm had a cigarette burn hole. The room location was easy accessible but I could hear the dogs in the hallway and people laughing and talking. The most disappointing was the false advertisement of room renovation which mine was not.

• Economy Double Room

The casino, the split beds

Strangely difficult to reach from the motorway. But close to many other towns and areas, very central. Not a big fan of casinos.

• Economy Double Room

Carpets full of stains in rooms and hallway, television channels insufficiënt.Try to watch Veronica channel during the stay because of a football match. Channel not available.

Beds, dinner

• Economy Double Room

The incident with the room that was only available after 1 hour and knocking on several doors to see if a free room could be found. Impersonal attitude in the bar.

Its location next to the highway

• Economy Double Room

There was NO view from the room - the hotel generally gave us the impression that is needed a major upgrade - no hangers in the batch room, wholes in the carpet etc

• Economy Double Room

Disappointed that the desk clerk could not printout a final account of my bill when I asked for it upon leaving. When I asked if he could have it mailed to me, he seemed unable to make that happen.

cleanliness, quiet floor, efficient room cleaning daily, complimentary coffee and water bottles in the room, bathroom towels fresh and large

• Economy Double Room

Our problem was that when we arrived a big 18 wheeler was blocking the entrance to your parking lot, maybe a better way to unload stuff for the restaurant could be found as we used the exit to get into the parking lot, and yes found it a good parking lot had this dumb setup with a huge truck blocking the only entrance to your parking lot.

The Location is super nice with the heath just minutes walk from the Hotel.

nothing !

I had to quickly find a hotel on our way with a trailer to Amsterdam and found this very good property. Value for money excellent. Great room, shower/bath tube excellent. We had a little garden in the back to sit outside. Staff was very friendly fast and helpful. highly recommended! Breakfast was extra, buffet style, good, tasty and more then enough variety

• Economy Double Room

Staff at reception informed me that because of the early 11:00 am check in I have to pay additional 20€, I am booking.com genius member and mentioned it also in the booking comments, that I am arriving at 11:00. Nowhere on the hotel site were written this condition,that early check in means before 14:00 p.m. for them. The hotel is located nearby to the highway, used mainly for conferences, can not be reached by public transport neither anything to see or do around it.

The Hotel has a cost restaurant with basic and affordable menu. The staff is friendly.

• Comfort Twin Room with Garden

Room had no ventilation, no airco,no fans, when the door was open dogs were outside urinating and it smelled in the room. No fridge either for the money better off somewhere else. I cancelled all my other reservations from this chain because if this property.

Close to the highway

• Economy Double Room

The room was hot and stuffy; the climate control didn't work at first. There was only a small window that gave onto an internal rooftop with the exhaust fan of the restaurant kitchen.

Van der Valk is a Dutch hospitality icon. It was an interesting 'cultural' experience to stay in one of their hotels.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• Economy Double Room

The room, carpets were dirty, mattress soft, shower leaked badly onto carpets, dank and smelly - won't be back! Very disappointing for a 4*rated hotel

Only the restaurant

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Comfort Twin Room with Balcony

We booked a Comfort room so we has air conditioning but it wasn't working, I don't think this was an isolated problem as our colleague at the other end of the hotel had the same problem, reception we're a bit vague about the situation and it was never resolved, the response to the problem was more irritating than the problem!

The room was nice with a nice terrace, shower room was really nice and the bed very comfortable, the hotel is easy to find and has ample parking. The restaurant serves good food fairly priced with a nice outside terrace, the serving staff were great. Reception is open 24 hours with good staff

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

• Economy Double Room

I got room #53, which is located a bit far from the reception (loooong corridors!). The matress was too soft (or perhaps too used). I reckon it would be a good time to replace it. The hose of the shower was leaking on different places. The showerhead was not working properly, probably due to an excess of deposits of lime. Last but not least, I had to find out a bunch of flying insects shared the room with me...

Located very close (just 8 min by car) from the place the conference I went to, took place. Liked also the restaurant and its big terrace. The staff at the reception was friendly and worked efficiently. Same applies to the waiters/waitresses working in the restaurant area. They do a good job.

• Comfort Twin Room with Balcony

water in bathroom after taking shower leak all over, everything was wett and it was not possible to enter it

very supportive staff and great location, quite modern facility

• Comfort Twin Room with Balcony

No public transport and the closest town is over 2,5 km away. The room got too hot at night eventhough we had the airconditioning at coldest setting.

Beautiful surroundings for walking and cycling.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

• Economy Double Room

Very poor choice of tv channels, hundreds meters walking to reach the room, room eccessively noisy in night hours because of the hiway in front of the window, no frigobar inside the room, no double bed but two single beds put together.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

• Comfort Twin Room with Balcony

separation between balconies is missing, no tilting window/door, lack of information on the breakfast buffet.

spacious room and bath room, well isolated, quiet, central location

• Comfort Twin Room with Balcony

tried 3 different rooms before choosing to go back to the first one smelled like cigarets upgrade room looked like crime scene terrible stains, old, dirty carpets stains on bed stains on couch, old, dirty

bathroom was clean and new bathroom products were good in room coffee machine

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

• Economy Double Room

Same vegetables with dinner plate every day. Vegetables tasted also very canned. All the other food, especially breakfast, very good. Got an older room, button shower didn't switch from bath to shower. Right the first day. To much hassle to ask for fix, so took the bath daily. Should work first day, is unpleasant surprise in the morning and annoying to have to wait to have it fixed.

Bed comfy. Friendly staff. Nice breakfast. Convention room service also very good.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

• Economy Double Room

Restaurant service was patchy. Location is good if you need easy access to the road network, but too far from town if you are travelling without a car. WiFi was reliable, but had a tendancy to be slow.

Room (possibly newly refurbished) was significantly better than on previous stays

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Comfort Twin Room

the gate to the entrance to the parking that closed after midnight and you have to call by phone for opening it.

the room, the location, the restaurant.

• Comfort Twin Room

Dinner was very poor. Never had such a poor quality of food before. This also applies for the Chardonnay and Sauvignon wines. Very disappointing that the staff decided to close the kitchen, bar and service at 20:00h.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

• Economy Double Room

Phones were not working. I was checking out early 4am. Doors were locked, did not know how to get to front desk. Only one security guard on site. Should have an attendant 24 hours at main desk.

Great breakfast and nice staff. Great room and upgrade..

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

The Hotel itself looked really 'Tired'. In order to get to my room I had to roll my suitcase through the restaurant. In the room-Paper cups for coffee/Tea. No Kleenex. The 'blow dryer' was actually a small wind machine w a short cord. No outlets in the bathroom (that I could find-perhaps there is and I just didn't see it) only under the TV where there was no mirror so I could dry my hair with my own blow dryer. (Kudos to the individual that invents a TV that can change into a mirror... or a mirror that rolls away to reveal the TV...You will be a very very Rich person). No place (shelf and/or drawer) in the bathroom to put my things while there. The Bedroom is huge with a tiny closet in the entry. No chest of drawers etc. I was only 1 person but the room was definitely large enough for 2 adults with 1 or 2 children (extra cots of course), where would they put their clothes etc? The Hotel Booklet of amenities was so worn that I sanitized it and thoroughly washed my hands afterwards.

I liked that it was only 6 kilometers from my workshop. Room serv Breakfast was excellent even better on the 3rd (last day of my stay) I even had a REAL cup for my Coffee which unfortunately was cold as it was served in the cup with no top to at least retain some of the heat. As I was on the Garden side, I was able to open my window for fresh air, which was lucky for me! The room smelled awful! The evening receptionist (quite pregnant) was wonderful! The Evening of my 2nd day- I complained of the horrible smell and she personally went up and sprayed room deo (I had already said something to the day recep also asking if possible to change rooms but was told no availability except on autoroute side, opting then to stay where I was she said she would talk with a tech but nothing was done-PLEASE NOTE THAT, I had told her to please ignore the 'do not disturb' sign on the door-the smell was really bad!

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

Check in procedure, with two Czech colleagues, was OK but staff were not too service minded to them. Overall, check in was done well technically, we missed the smile and friendly approach. I had the same experience whilst checking out. The gentleman was factual but far off with respect of warm approach.

Breakfast was good. There is a good choice of items.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

• Economy Double Room

Problem at arrival : Hotel was not aware of my booking and hotel was full - They gave me room of a no show customer after 20 minutes.

Location, Room, Breakfast

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

Room had a nasty lingering smell of deep frier.Air con not cool enough. Cheap paper cups for tea and coffee. Room directly over front of hotel, looking out over scruffy roof and car park.Mostly unpleasant people at reception.

Sizable room and bathroom. Beds reasonable.

• Reviewed: 13 September 2016

• Economy Double Room

I felt the hotel seemed a little "tired". The room was OK but there was no plug in the washbasin and no cups in the room for the tea-making facilities. When we asked at the reception about this we were told that we were expected to drink tea out of the plastic tumblers. At your prices I expect a little more attention to detail. We came here because we stayed once before, which was great and we have often dined here. Frankly I am not tempted to repeat the experience, This makes me sad

Convenient for travel within the Netherlands

• Reviewed: 13 September 2016

• Economy Double Room

They charged 40€ extra as tourist tax which is not given as information on booking page

30 min driving to Amsterdam Free car parking Friendly staff Comfortable bed Breakfast ( 11,5 € extra absolutely wort it ) Pet friendly

• Reviewed: 24 June 2016

• Economy Double Room

I did not experience anything unsatisfactory at this hotel.

I enjoyed a spacious and comfortable room which was located at the back of the hotel away from highway traffic and other noise. The breakfast buffet offered a wide selection of cold and hot items and coffee and other beverages.

Stayed in May 2016

• Reviewed: 23 June 2016

• Economy Double Room

In the corridor leading to our room, we found on the floor bottles of alcohol, dirty plates and other trash. It stayed there for the whole two days of our stay. We did not notify the reception, expecting it to be cleaned anyway on the next cleaning round, but it did not happen. The carpet and the curtains in the room had several stains. When we notify the reception, they seemed totally unaware of this.

The room was very big and the bathroom was nice and clean. Nice and big free parking and easy position to reach Amsterdam by car.

Stayed in May 2016

• Comfort Twin Room with Garden

Next to a highway, far from everything else, too big ( verge long distance to rooms),

The rooms are nice

• Double Room with Spa Bath

Not easy to commute using public transport and the inside walls have cracks.

A very rich breakfast

• Economy Double Room

Their awesome perfect healthy breakfast.... gave me a chance to try different tastes of Dutch foods!!!!

The cold fried eggs

The new room

Faciliteiten

De live cooking

• Economy Double Room

Staff is great. Comfort room (renovated) is beautiful.

• Comfort Twin Room with Garden

One very rude and arrogant receptionist, rest of the staff excellent service level

Fantastic breakfast buffet

• Economy Double Room

No repairing, bad services if something is missing in the room

• Economy Double Room

Dinner menue was only fair.

Excellent breakfast

• Economy Double Room

Room in the Kelder . I suffer fobia to be -0 floor. But they changed for a great room . No problem . They solve the problem easily and fast

Central location - Breakfast - Bedding

• Economy Double Room

The hotel hallways are a bit dated for my personal taste.

We enjoyed a very nice new big room with balcony and big high quality bathroom.

• Economy Double Room

Airco ventilator (noise) could not be turned off.

Very easy access away from city centers. Good place to stay for 1 night for business people.

• Comfort Twin Room with Balcony

Near free stay, handy for one night stay

• Economy Double Room

1970 like style, no refurbishment since then. Stained carpets, strange smell in the rooms.

Easy to reach, very comfortable bed, good breakfast

• Economy Double Room

Rooms need updating, but are clean.

Patio dining very nice!

• Economy Double Room

Proximity of the motorway and absence of climatisation. So very noisy with windows open

• Economy Double Room

Traffic noise made it hard to sleep and no air con in that particular room.

A fantastic location with excellent services. The staff are exceptional.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

• Economy Double Room

The breakfast was not good. Dirty tables, no spoons and knives, not fruit enough.

The dinner was oke

• Comfort Twin Room with Garden

To long waiting for checking in. We checked in at 14:30.

best location, next to the highway. The bed is confortable, the coffee is great.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

• Economy Double Room

Far away, high rate, the room description says 1 large bed, when i arrived it was 2 small beds together,not comfy

Clean, free parking, wifi

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

• Economy Double Room

Service, easily could be nicer (Reception) and faster (Restaurant)

The premises

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

• Economy Double Room

Room was dirty. Somebody had been cutting his hair in room and the cleaners didn't clean it up. Mould in windows.

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

• Economy Double Room

The room was rather dark, and not completely clean; spider-webs on the ceiling..

The beds were excellent. Bathroom was large with good shower.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

• Economy Double Room

Amsterdam was not easily accessible by public transportation. Little refrigerator would be handy.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

• Comfort Twin Room

The oldest rooms I saw in quite some time. The restaurant is like a canteen on an army base.

The location on the highway is good.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Economy Double Room

Delay at check-in. Could have had more staff on desk (were working on computers in the background).

Very nice breakfast. Good parking and good rate.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

Not that clean (just clean enough ) No pool

Location Room Food Fitness

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

• Economy Double Room

Perfect hotel for a short stay in the area. Friendly and helpful staff. Room needs some updates.

• Reviewed: 10 April 2016

The room that I got first time could have been more fresh (the carpet and bathroom did not seem 100% clean).

The breakfast was excellent. The staff changed my room immediately due to some problems with the TV and bathroom.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2016

Hotel looks like it was designed and built by amateurs: the layout is a labyrinth and the room materials are cheap and B-rated. My room was worn out and "tired"

Value for money

• Reviewed: 26 January 2016

the beds were a little too soft for my comfort and the rooms were quite cold. i would have loved a room with a shower instead of a bath

the staff was willing to carry out special requests

• Reviewed: 3 January 2016

We have booked a room with flat scren tv and king size double bed. We received room in old part of the hotel , the room was old, with old style tv with 3 tv channels. We had 2 single beds instead of king size double bed. We used to visit a lot of hotels from Van der Valk group that is why we are really disapointed with this hotel.

We have arrived early in a morning and nice lady at the desk gave as a room without problems.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2015

The breakfast lounge staff, apart from the omelette maker, was not attentive and did not restock juices for example.

The reception staff was excellent and very helpful in finding an address we had to go to.The room, bed and bathroom were all of high quality. An omelette made to order for breakfast was perfect.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2015

✓ no HDMI connection on the TV (couldn't connect my laptop :-( ✓ only a few channels on tv, not CNN, shocking; ✓ only 1 coffee, but when i asked at reception, they gave me 10 !!! :-) ✓ no music in the lobby and restaurant etc, i love music, no palmtrees in the lobby, i love palmtrees; ✓ just 1 elevator, couldn't find stairs, felt a bit dangerous, like a maze, no signs;

All the details are so perfect, like: ✓ the water boiler was not just a boiler, but something special; ✓ TV was a nice one, robust, not just a media markt tv; ✓ Lots of plugs 220, also next to the bed, important; ✓ Staff immediately moved me to another room when the WIFI was not working good due to some KPN problems; ✓ Wifi later on was ultra fast speed; ✓ double pillow set; ✓ lot's of things in hotels, old style, good, not that greedy policy these days of other hotels, even wash clothing soap!; ✓ owners for sure have traveled a lot and looked to other hotels for the small smart details;

• Reviewed: 16 August 2015

The hotel is in need of a refurbishment.

In the main the staff we dealt with were very helpful. The facilities were good. Although we did not have dog it was nice that the hotel accommodated them.

• Reviewed: 16 July 2015

No separate bar and gets invaded by coach-loads of pensioners at meal times. €30 taxi to nearest train station

very clean and comfortable, friendly efficient staff

There are also 47 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.