Reviews of Hotel DiAnn 2 stars

#361 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

5.6

5.5

5.9

Bed full of bed bugs, I was bitten to shreds!! Also, the key given was sellotaped together and broke twice during the stay despite requesting a new key.

Staff were grumpy, breakfast cheap, refused to sort out the safe which was locked when we arrived, fridge didn't work, toilet smelled disgusting

Comfortable bed, good shower, nice balcony. Good enough size and fantastic location

When I ask for a room on the ground floor because of a bad knee,I am not comfortable with a room/hotel 3 8 stairs up only to come to the reception. I would hope and thin the hotel will tell me that,but I understand they are more happy with one unhappy customer to this overpriced hotel than no customer.

Location was not to bad

Stairs...

I was able to change room (314 to 406) during my short stay... both rooms were good, but i like room 406 because i had a view of the street ( + a balcony!)... the extra flight of stairs was worth it... and the taxi driver even carried my suitcases... please thank him for that :)

The stairs to the reception and then the rooms are very steep. There are no lifts I’m young but some older people staying did not know this and really struggled. I’ve also never experienced this but you are to hand your room key back to the staff every time you leave the hotel which I did not like at all I don’t understand the reasoning for it.

The location is great and the room is good for the price and where it is.

Breakfast did not meet the expectations. It was poor and low quality with only mediocre coffee and milk, few slices of ham and cheese and bread. Moreover the hotel does not have a lift and that is sometimes very unpleasant especially if you have a room on the third floor or above.

comfortable bed, nice staff, but most important perfect location. It is located just behind the Dam Square and few minutes away from the top places in Amsterdam. Reception is open 24/7 and the staff is very very kind and open to answer all your concern and questions about the city.

There is no elevator, think twice before you climb.

Hotel has very great location. It is in the middle of many touristic places. Also tram stations are in 200m distance.

When I arrived I was chocked by the many steep stairs you have to go up in order to come to the reception, and even more if you have a room on the top floor, would suggest you to suggest a room on the bottom floor so you don’t have to take the stairs twice like I didc I was exhausted. However on the way out the foreign man that worked at the desk helped me bring down my luggage which was a major plus. Also, since I had a window overlooking the city I spent some time looking out of it, not knowing that I’d just let musquitos in that were going to leave me with 13 bites on one night :/

It is in a perfect location downtown, close to everything. The room were a bit old but very clean. I had requested a room with a window that overlooks the city and so I got one.

When I first got in the room I thought, it wasn't that bad. The stairs are really steep, but if you are in a decent health and shape it is not a problem (I wouldn't recommend it to elderly or disable people) The hotel needs a lot of maintenance works, the walls need painting, the toilet stank and we have to keep spraying perfume. The windows on the outside had a thick layer of dust and the curtains were really dusty and smelled terrible. The bathroom doesn't have any ventilation and there is no shower tray, so you need to be careful not to stay long in the shower if you don't want your bathroom to be flooded. The bottom tiles had a lot of mould. The worse thing was BED BUGS! The second night we woke up infested and full of bites. I found one of them on my shoe and it was full of blood stains. I had to chucked them in the bin at the end because I was scared of bringing them home. I personally think, it is a very basic accommodation. Do not expect luxury or fancy furniture because it's a two star a simple bed and breakfast.

The location was fantastic, just 10 minute walk from Amsterdam Centraal Station and few yards away from Dam Square and Anne Frank House. The staff is nice and I was expecting a worse breakfast but it was actually okay.

* Very dirty rooms * Couldn't open window * Noisy * Very tall and dangerous stairs * Terrible breakfast * Couldn't take a shower without flooding the bathroom

Position is very good.

The room was really tiny.

The staff helped us very much with the issue we had, they were very polite and helpful. The location is great, near the center.

Not worth of money at all. rooms were very small and untidy. Not at all clean room and bathroom. Paid huge amount to live in an unhygienic place. Breakfast was just bread,jam,butter,juice,coffee. Never ever recommend to anyone to go there.

Only the location. Nothing else.

The room was small, old and not well maintained. It was in very poor condition, with the exception of the bathroom which appeared to be recently remodeled. There are also very steep stairs to enter the property so be sure to pack light as there are no elevators.

It is very well located.

We had a room with a balcony ... although our room was lovely and clean, our balcony had accumulated dust and the planter pots had become cigarette butt holders.

Staff were extremely helpful, and central location was ideal. The option of having breakfast on the dining room balcony was an added bonus. We were surprised at the steep stairs on entering the site ... it was a fun experience for us ... but be aware if you have difficulty climbing.

Keep up good work and the same price!

Superb location and exceeded expectations! Amazing balcony where I had my breakfast. Wonderful city view from there. Bed was too soft, but this not a 5* hotel:-). Good if visitors have only hand luggage as there are tricky steady stairs and no elevator.

Could do with a sprucing up

Location was absolutely perfect maximum 30 minute stroll (I do mean a slow stroll) along the canals to any of the major attractions.

Be prepared for lots of steep stairs if you have big luggage or difficulty with stairs at all. Basic breakfast but at least it is included. If you get balcony room also understand it comes with noise from road below which was not the end of the world.

Good location and beds were comfy. Had a room with balcony which had good view of area.

The room was very tiny. The sheets were dirty. Cracks in the sailing. No escalators i have to climb the tiny stairs all the way to 2 second floor which is hard if you are carrying your stuff.. i was disappointed...

The Moroccan maid was nice, she shared so many tips about the city and where to go .

Very dirty and messy. There was a random screw on the toilet seat (which was loose), the air filter was covered in dust, the shower curtain was dirty, there was a random tooth pick on the floor. Dirty soap holder with residue of older soaps still on it. Constant eggy smell from bathroom. Water smelled funny. Huge drafts through closed windows. There was a safe in the closet which unfortunately was very light and not tied down in any way, so putting your valuables in it would just be helping thieves find your stuff more easily.

Decent location

Great location in the city center, friendly staff, nice breakfast with one but very significant BUT.... We were totally shocked when in the morning after first night in hotel we woke up with the body covered with traces of tick bites. Our bodies itched at least for week. We still have signs of traces left (similar to scars), although we returned from Amsterdam almost month ago.

Bedbug infested. Was able to find bedbug at 2:30 in the morning and pictured them too and shared with the staff too. In the morning, i was able to find bedbugs in all the three cots. At breakfast, I saw a lady with more than 20 bites on her face and neck also complaining. The bedlinen and towels were clean but overall the room looked wornout and needed to be more cleaner especially the windows and wooden panels. Beds were comfortable except the bedbugs. Bathroom was clean but old and had no ventilation. Windows were single glazed and got colder at night and also did not contain the noise ( of vehicles and road was busy at night) at night The mgmt was reasonable in refunding half the anount i paid. But honestly it takes a little effort to engage pest control to keep the bugs away and could have been done- this is the min standard one expexts. Still feeling the pain/ itch of the bites after 4 days.

The fact that we payed for double room and ended up with two single beds pushed together which separated everytime we moved and worse than this was the fact I left the hotel covered in bed bug bites which are incredibly itchy . Not happy at all it . Because it was kings day we payed well over the odds for a 2 star hotel

Not a lot

No place to charge my phone at room ( usp)

Reception Night shift is very nice friendly excellent he’s name kasam smile welcome He help me to know place and where I can go Kasam is very good service

The staff was lovely, I asked ,and the staff agreed to give us a room on the same floor of the reception and dining room. So we did not have to climb more steps. it was nice to have the little balcony. The breakfast is good enough to start the day, and the most important is .... Great great Location! The only downside is that you should know in advance that there are at least 50 narrow steps to get to the front desk. It is important to mark this in the hotel description and simply add that it is not suitable for disabled people.

A lot of stairs very small room. Room was not clean dead flies and bugs in room. Other peoples hairs on towels not worth the money that they are charging. Would recommended paying the extra money for somewhere else

Nice view from balcony

I am emailing Booking.com with regard to my stay at this hotel. Very disappointed with our stay. Naked wires coming out of walls, no curtains on the windows, carpets not hovered, cracked sink in bathroom, no plug in sink...... Breakfast okay ish, but would have appreciated a little bit of variation. We were also charged. Booking.com quoted us £20 less then the hotel charged. Tried to argue the point at the hotel but it fell on deaf ears. The reception staff were unhelpful, surly and miserable. Didn't offer any information about the hotel or the beautiful city of Amsterdam. They certainly didn't sell it! We asked for curtains to be put up on one of the bedroom windows and our request was dismissed, along with a plug for the sink. We asked three times but to no avail. We then insisted on moving bedrooms. This request was granted but under duress. The second room was better in that there were curtains (still no plug!). Unfortunately this room had naked wires coming out the wall above the beds, the same as the first room. Glad I had a sensible 14 year old with me and not a toddler:(

The view in the first room. Not so much the second one that we were moved to after complaining about the first. Really can't think of anything else!

Room and parts of hotel needs a lot of repairs and decorating. Parts of panelling in room broken and missing. Ceiling tiles need replacing as some are broken or have holes in them. No remote for TV and it had very bad picture.

Friendly staff, they answered questions I had for sights. Check out was at 11am, staff allowed us to store cases on site for few hours until time to catch bus.

The room is small, unable to unfold my two luggage.

The room with a lovely balcony and awesome view. It would be best for summer. It was a super steep staircase, we were luckily to have staff help us to carry up our luggage up to room.

The place clearly shows that renovations in the rooms are about 10 years overdue. Unfortunately, many hotel owners in Amsterdam still get away with dodgy places like this because demand is always there. Take one example: holes in the ceiling, awful smell in bathroom, etc.

The location is very central.

It could get quite busy in the breakfast room.

Generally good value for the price paid. Someone mentioned the toaster being too slow - you could alter the speed with the lever at the end! I must say the butter was as hard as iron - very difficult to spread even on toast. The staff were very helpful.

The rooms, dining area and hallways are freezing in the winter. Not the fault of the hotel, but terrible insulation in the building. Keep the heater on all day and night. If traveling with older people, the stairs here are very steep and difficult. To reach reception you walk up two flights of steep stairs and also to the different floors for the rooms. No lifts in all of hotel.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. We booked a room with three beds but it was on the very top floor. My grandmother is very old and had difficulty getting up to the reception. Without asking, the lady at the front desk offered to give her a room on the “main” floor even though they were fully booked. The breakfast was good and fresh and the beds were comfortable.

Don’t listen to the people above who would complain about the curtains not matching the colour on the walls🙄 Great location, comfiest beds, great heating in the rooms which was needed and very clean! Almost all if not every property in Amsterdam is that of period properties so evidently there’s going to be quite a few stairs. Only thing was a let down was the breakfast, it was very basic. Would defo recommend and will stay here again when I return to Amsterdam 😍

Unclean, unhappy staff, sewer smell in room, broken window, holes in wall (room 313), whole hotel was in a state of disrepair and was definitely not a 2*

The sperm stains that were in the bed when i first arrived at the hotel. i had to sleep with those disgusting sheets even after i asked for the staff that they clean my bed a second time and they didnt do it.

Well! There was a smell emanating from the bathroom which was vile, only 1 plug socket worked meaning we had to have an extension plug across the floor to use the TV. The reception on the tv was dreadful. No tea or coffee making facilities in the room!! There was no lift and the stairs were practically vertical!

The location was fantastic and staff were nice. The room had a balcony which was lovely. Heating was very good which you need when you visit somewhere in February.

There was nothing I didn't like

Basic accommodation but well located, yes the entrance stairs are steep but you only carry your bags up once & after all it is a period property. Rooms very comfy with larger bathroom than expected. If you are visiting to see the sites this is ideal

WiFi is unstable around 8-10pm each night - though the trick is to reconnect at 2nd floor reception first, or 3rd floor hallway (I stayed on the 4th). I have EU 4G roaming plan and I only have a mobile phone, so it didn't affect me too much, but take note if you rely a lot on hotel internet connections.

The stairs are long and steep as I've been told about staying in Amsterdam - luckily I only have a small suitcase - but they give a good distance of the room from the streets, so the noise in room is kept minimal. It's situated between two tram stops, giving the advantage that the braking noise is sparse. Room is typically small but cozy, and mine even has a spacious balcony. Bathroom is nice. Breakfast is fine except for the queue for toaster. Location is very convenient for sightseeing and the neighbourhood seems safe.

The bathroom smelt pretty awful, not the fault of the staff, must be a plumbing thing. Still not pleasant though. The towels were a little old and had some holes, but they were clean. Nothing too bad but maybe a little expensive for the state of facilities provided.

Great location, fresh sheets every day, staff were helpful.

Fridge didn't work well. There was no facility to make a hot drink in the room. Hot breakfast option (esp. in winter!) would be an improvement.

Very comfortable bed. Very clean bathroom. Good lighting. Warm (I visited in winter )

The room was very small. Mold in the ceiling of the bathroom. The drain in the shower didn't work so the whole bathroom was filled with water after every (short) shower. Not clean rooms, cracks in the walls and holes in the ceiling. Staff not hospitable. Will not stay again and not recommend.

Extremely dirty and rundown, bugs present. Felt too dirty to sleep and take a shower comfortably. Unfriendly and unhelpful staff. Very steep staircase.

Location but that's it.

I would not recommend this place if you do not travel light. The staircase even to get to the reception is very steep and narrow. I'm glad I only had a small backpack. Otherwise it's good for the price.

The very steep stairs in the hotel! They could do with a lift, as it can be quite dangerous when your wrecked out of your head coming up and down 3 flights of very steep stairs. Also shower felt like could be upgraded a little as a little dated, however was great for the price of 120 euros for 2 nights.

Was a good location not too far away from everything walking distance, cosy room with great balcony.

Cleanliness

Hotel cleanliness was very poor While staying in hotel sounds of the cars , people , bus in the street was to high and you would hear as you are sleeping at street

When we arrived to our room the first thing we noticed was the ceiling, it had a big hole in it, cracks and many damp spots, then we looked into the toilet room and the smell was awful, it smelt like poo & bleach and it didn’t go away for our whole stay (5nights) also there was poo on the toilet and tooth paste all in the sink and on top of the toilet also the rooms are not very big. They have very steep stairs to the reception so the hotel isn’t ideal for the elderly/ disabled.

The bed was very comfy, the staff were very friendly and the balcony had a great view which you could smoke cigarettes and weed off.

It was quite a walk from the bus station. It was freezing cold even with the radiator on full, had to ask for extra bedding, strange loud buzzing coming from the wall, TV Ariel wasn’t very good so didn’t have great reception, we were charged more for the room than stated on booking.com, we emailed the hotel prior to our visit and they stated that we could have a room with a balcony (which is why we booked the property in the first place) but on arrival they had no such room for us.... RIP OFF!!

Comfy mattress.

Would say the toliet needs changed as it’s small

We had a balcony view which was great to wake up in the morning and just see Amsterdam very local which was brilliant didn’t have to use any trams. And had a brilliant sleep! No bed bugs!

Having to buzz in & give my room number before the door was opened for me, I was told the front door was open 24/7

Comfy bed, Loads of hot water, & clean towels, Didn't have breakfast so i cant comment.

The room was trashy and dirty. The refrigerator had a left over bottle of vodka from the people before us. Parts of the ceiling were missing, uncovered light fixtures, a hole in the door to the bathroom, terrible smell, no shampoo or conditioner, dirtyyyyy floor and the breakfast was minimal at best. Staff was rude and short. ***terrifyingly steep staircase at the entrance, do NOT come here with a big bag you will fall***

The location was fantastic, ten minutes to the city center

hotel staff we're not very pleasent, they did not seem intrested to sort the problem we had also asked for room with balcony and received an email saying that would be no problem yet we got a room without balcony.

The stairs are extremely steep. We only had a small carry on bag so we were fine, but it was still a challenge.

Location is perfect. Our room had a lovely view on the canal.

Bathroom could have been more modern and less dull, stairs were hard but we knew about them before, it was noisey from the road with people walking passed at night and cars etc and understandably it’s a main road but it seemed a very thin window.

Ham and cheese at breakfast was lovely, beds were very comfy especially with my back, receptionist helped us with a travel plug, very good location, could buy drinks like water too, got given an extra pillow, vouchers for things to do. Great hotel!

I booked this hotel whilst under duress, my first hotel had cancelled so I wouldn't normally stay in a 2 star. The stairs were challenging for me very steep and narrow, the rooms were really small and there were 2 holes in my bedroom ceiling. My sons room the closet door with safe could only be opened a few inches as the bed was jammed against it.

The room was clean, staff were approachable and helpful. We only stayed 1 night out of 4, but were readily given a refund for the 3 nights we didn't stay

In the first room we got, we had BED BUGS! Then we were given the other room, which there were not any, but this incident really affect how I feel about the hotel (the staff seemed not very much astonished about our finds, so it seems to be constant problem in some rooms). Both rooms we were in, had really bad lightning (only one lamp in the ceiling). Breakfast was really boring.

Location is really good. Rooms are quite quiet.

-the bathroom was small and there was no shower tray so the entire room floor would get completely wet -poor breakfast -the room and the services offered do not meet the standard expected for an hotel with that price

-Location -Our room faced the canal

The stairs were a little steep and no one was willing to help get bags up and down the long stairs.

The bed was very comfortable and the staff were friendly.

Bedbugs. About an hour after I went to sleep, I woke up feeling itchy. Turned on the light and saw a bedbug crawling across the sheets. I killed it, but found four bites on my arm and one on my hand. When I talked to the desk attendant, they kind of shrugged and asked if I wanted a new room. Since it was the middle of the night, I couldn't go elsewhere, so took a room on a different floor. In the second room, I found more bugs and was bitten on my back and shoulder five times. I ended up leaving the hotel at 3am to go to the airport seven hours before my flight, because it was better than being bit. The staff was not helpful and did not seem concerned about their infestation. Avoid this hotel.

The location is good, but the bedbugs outweigh any positives.

Poor breakfast, the heater was very dirty, should renovate a bit the cealings

Perfect location, in the city center, 6 min away from Dam Sqare. Very good price for staying in Amsterdam city center. Clean, comfortable bad, warm, we had amazing view on canal (room 311).

Tiny and not very clean room, straight stairs, no parking close to the hotel but very easy to find (even if it is not free!). The bed stuck on the window, not a good idea!

Classic breakfast is ok.

There was about 120 stair steps to get in my room, cleansing zero, breakfast rubbish and they have cats as pets in the hotel ! While the website states no pets allowed! And they changed me about €20 more from the price that your website states 😠

The lacation and the views from the balcony only

The stairs were steep and narrow, but most are in older buildings in Amsterdam.

Bed was really comfy, staff member carried our cases downstairs for us which was something we weren't looking forward to doing on our own. Nice shower.

The SMELL from our bathroom, terrible!! Room could have done with a hoover. I left it cleaner than when i arrived

The surroinding area, close to everything, breakfast was a little bonus, will get the day started.

Single traveler, got "upgraded" to a 3 bed room.however, i guess that means having the same small size room as a 1-bed room, but with extra beds in it. Result: just barely able to move around in it, good thing I was alone! :)

Location, accessibility, housecat, friendly helpful staff

The room was full of bugs, the manager very rude and agresiv, I had to call the police to get my money back

The room was very very small and the staff wouldn’t allow my guest to come at my room only to help me with my bags. The member of the staff The day of check in was so rude and will talk like being angry and when i wanted to take my guest to help me with my bags he became even more rude. It wouldnt alow my guest to come up even for 5 minutes. Also there is no elevator and the stairs are high a d narrow. And the housekeeping was poor and the wifi wouldnt work 80 % of the time.

The location was the greatest thing about the hotel.

Rooms exceptionally small, had to leave key with reception. No house keeping was done our 3 night stay.

Breakfast was good, rooms were very warm And clean on arrival.

The bathroom was small, smelly, dark and old. The entry stairs are very steep, narrow, dark and are hard to get a large suitcase up ( there is a warning on the site but the stairs are worse than the warning indicates)

Centrally located and an easy walk to the main railway station and everything that there is to see in Amsterdam. Loads of public transport options. Breakfast was adequate. The room was very small with a tiny bathroom.

The room had 3 single beds and every morning I had more insect bites. My companions didn't get bitten. The room was hoovered, The sheets were clean and there were fresh towels every day. There were no mosquitoes; very odd!

The location was amazing. 5 minutes walk to Anne Franks house, 5 minutes to Dam Square, 10 minutes to the train station.

Although what provided was lovely, the property could have provided a better selection for breakfast.

The hotel is quiet basic, but the hotel location was great, 5 minute walk to dam square and tram station just outside the hotel door. Great balcony view were you can see the canal.

Both of us found the room to be very damp. It kept us up through the night and meant that we found that it affected our breathing.

The bed was very clean.

The receptionist over charged me for the hotel it was supposed to be 335 € and charged me $100 dollars more when I confronted him he said let me count my money only gave me back 30€ that's so sad and it was a really ugly smelly hotel

Hotel smelled really bad the room looked super dirty we had big bites all over our back

Well the stairs, of course. But after the first time, it becomes a challenge to look forward to...

Practical, value for money. Not the first time staying here. Quaint style.

Day staff could have been friendlier Too many tables in dining room, difficult to squeeze past other guests. Stairs ! But that is what Amsterdam is like.

Location Night porter was friendly and efficient Very clean Reasonable priced.

There are few things actual - the noise outside the room. We had windows facing the street; all night round we've heard ambulances, fire engines and traffic. But in comparison to excellent location this is nothing, ear plugs helped a lot. And the breakfast. Nothing special - granola, eggs, small yogurts, cheese & salami, bread, milk, water, coffee & tea. This is all we've had during all 6 days. I wouldn't say this all was tasty, but OK just to fill up. Still, some verity would be appreciated.

This hotel was a great choice! I've found it just a week before actual travel. The location is perfect - just in the center, only 2-3 min slow walking from the King's Palace and in front of the Anna Frank museum. Comfortable beds, heating, hot water anytime, nice balcony, really friendly stuff! thank you all, guys! it is about 30 min to get into the hotel from the Central Station by foot if you don't know the center. Map helps a lot :) All city-sights are really close, so you won't spend much time to reach required point. The place itself is modest & cosy. I won't call it reach or gorgeous, but still really cosy. Real atmosphere of old A'dam inside - high stairs, big windows, balcony, the furniture. Steep stairs seem to be shocking at fist, but we haven't noticed them in a day already. If you are looking for the good place to stay in A'dam and don't have any high requirements to the conditions, this will be a great choice! i'd out it 8 out of 10 for this and will recommend to all friends.

Small rooms, no modern facilities in the hotel ,breakfast is minimalist like most of Europe :)

The location was great, I had an amazing balcony witch is must...the team is nice and welcoming

Browse Hotel DiAnn traveller photo gallery