Reviews of Fletcher Hotel Paleis Stadhouderlijk Hof 4 stars

Hofplein 29, 8911 HJ Leeuwarden, Netherlands

#15 of 22 hotels in Leeuwarden

The staff were really very helpful indeed.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

We tot upgraded to a suite with a circular bath in the room itself. I would have preferred the shower I had booked.

The staff were really very helpful indeed.

Wheather permitting, an ideal place in Leeuwarden.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Breakfast was rather poor, you would expect more in a place like this.

Very good location. Despite the fact that we were in the mid of a heatwave and the hotel has no airco, the room (17) was pleasantly cool in the night.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Don't waste your money on this hotel
    • Suite

The room was big, but old. Furniture doesn't match up to a 4*-hotel. Bathroom was huge, with a big jacuzzi with stairs to go to it. The rest of the bathroom was empty. Only 1 sink. Carpet in the bathroom. Doorlock didn't work properly. Room was not always cleaned. Breakfast is not what you expect in this kind of hotel. Price on the other hand is fairly high (especially for what you get). Based on the photos we were quite disappointed when we saw the property.

The restauraht Us Heit was very good. Friendly staff. Good choice.

central location, we realised that meant noise but not right under our room.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Wedding reception with a very loud disco immediately below our room. the volume made the doors rattle. we would have appreciated knowing this before booking. they did dock the parking charge when we complained.

large comfortable room, helpful staff.

Location is good.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

The room and furnishings are in need of renovation. The breakfast was mediocre and the single coffee machine always either had a waiting line or needed refilling.

Location is good. Public rooms are nice.

Perfect location, beautiful building, nice staff but details should be looked after
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

mold in the corners of the bathtube... doorlock didn't work well.... no airco (we didn't need it but our nextdoor hotel neighbour was there when temperature was above 30°C)

excellent location, very friendly staff, beautiful and good restaurant

Will come back.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

I had dinner in the restaurant, and while it looked like and up-scale restaurant, the food didn't live up to the expectations in my opinion. Fancy presentations on the plates, but lacking in taste for my palate. Nothing wrong with the food! And the restaurant room was a beautiful. Breakfast in the garden room was nice :)

Nice hotel for the price I got. Beautiful interior and nice spacious room. Located right in the center of town among shops and restaurants.

My stay was delightful in every way.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

I liked everything about my stay there. I have no complaints whatsoever. The staff were very helpful and friendly. I will stay there again if I ever return to Leeuwarden.

Disappointing. The property is beautiful and deserves restoration.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

It's not four stars, had to pay extra for breakfast on top of a primium price, the furnishing is shabby and the room was cold with a very thin duvet.

The staff were very friendly and as helpful as possible

Very enjoyable for a business trip
    • Comfort Double Room with Bath

The main bedroom with 2 single beds next to one another should have been put together as a double. The mattress was far too soft for most peoples liking. Better to have firm mattresses and put on a topper for a soft feel.

The dining room was remarkable and the hotel location in the centre of the town was perfect. The restaurant was quiet so I ate out and went back for a night cap only to find there was no bar.

Romantic stay in the heart of the city
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Rooms were a bit cold, old-fashioned. For instance, a bar-fridge in the room would have been nice.

Brilliant location, very comfortable bed, spacious room, big jacuzzi bath. Nice garden to walk and a lobby to sit with a glass of wine. Very practical that a restaurant is downstairs.

Leeuwarden is a fascinationg old city and well worth a visit!
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

The rooms are a disappointment after seeing the ground floor and stairs! The room I had was spacious but furnishings and décor sparse!

The hotel is I the heart of the city in a range of old buildings. The ground floor is luxurious with many gilded dining rooms with antique furnishings and what appears to be a splendid menu.

Ok for turism but Hotel to avoid if you are traveling for business especially by car
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Parking fee (15€) for the night is disgraceful as Leeuwarden is a small town. Service just ok and obvious shortage of staff

Nicely located in the heart of the city a lot of charm for this old dutch palace. Rooms spacious and confortable

Hotel in historic building on great location.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Food In restaurant is a bit pretentieus and expensive and not very good. And a very long wait after ordering. Icy cold draught in the room. Only in the morning I discoverrd that an upper window was open!

Historic building, nice location.

Uncomfortable
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Radiator banging all night - no bar - no minibar - no kettle - bleached carpet - uncomfortable bed - beautiful exterior however inside our hotel room was poor - we checked put early -

Great hotel, full of tradition everywhere.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

I'm getting older, and the entrance stairs is a challenge to navigate with a heavy suitcase. But I managed. The rest of the hotel was ok, no problems. It's irritating that some hotels use an Internet logon procedure that doesn't work if the guest has preferred DNS servers defined in network setup. That was the case here. As mentioned: irritating. But I've learned over the years: if things don't work remove preferred DNS servers from network setup. I did, and it worked. So this is a minor complaint.

It is an excellent hotel with traditions back to ancient Dutch and British royal families. I've always wanted to stay there, and this was an opportunity not to be missed. It was a great experience, and lived up to expectations. Room was spacious and very comfortable, and breakfast very good, if not excellent.

Old world charm
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Breakfast options - vegan options could be integrated

Old world charm The option of contributing to the environment (not getting your room cleaned up and towels changed) and getting free drinks

Comfortable stay
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

The wifi was very ‘iffy’. Which was a shame, as it was reflected in the total score.

A very beautiful building! Comfortable room, with large separate area for seating and watching tv.

I suggest everyone to visit this hotel for the friendly customer staff and for the perfect location.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

We got a pleasant clean room including a luxury bathroom with a private separate dining/living room . The hotel restaurant served us with superb excellent food in a romantic royal type area decorated with some history paintings. In the morning an American type breakfast was served in a cozy pergola area including Dutch cheese’s, juices and coffee.

For the price and the hotel I would expected a better room.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

For the price and the hotel I would expected a better room. I don't know If they give their worse rooms to booking but mime was not nice. I think it was a waste of money. I would have better stayed at a b&b

Beautiful old hotel [but not run down] in a beautiful part of Leeuwarden and exceptional staff.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Our stay was all good. Nothing of note we didn't like.

Staying in such a lovely old hotel in a beautiful part of Leeuwarden. Short walks to so many lovely old buildings.

The house is beautiful as well as the surroundings.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Smell of mold in some rooms.

The house is beautiful as well as the surroundings. It is in the center, which makes the stay in Leeuwarden more enjoyable. Breakfast was very nice and served in the garden.

very friendly personnel, and the hotel is located in the...
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

It must be a 4 star Hotel but the it is not clean and the furniture is dated. When there is a party/wedding in the Hotel the noise is heard until the 2nd floor. The airco/heating on the roof is making a disturbing noise.

very friendly personnel, and the hotel is located in the city center.

Will not stay here again but it wasn't dreadful
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Beds were soft and narrow. Couldn't tell we were in a former royal palace - could've been anywhere, room felt tired and needed painting, wedding discotheques both nights we stayed in the public areas which meant it wAs very, very loud until 1 - 1.30am, staff were indifferent, even cold.

Location very good

Great hotel
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Fantastic hotel to stay. Located at super location just few steps to the oldtown, superior rooms and services. Enjoyed our staying and fantastic atmosphere of this hotel.

A stay in an historical building in the heart of Leeuwarden
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

We had a very large unit, it consisted of two bedrooms, a small one and a large one including a sitting area and a family seize bathroom. The hotel offered a safe storage location for our bicycles. The breakfast was very good and diverse. The breakfast room is very beautiful, on a green and private garden. The staff was very attentive to any of our requests.

Charming and friendly with walking access to the best of Leeuwarden!
    • Comfort Double Room with Bath

The hotel has only 10 offsite vehicle parking sites in a small subterranean narrow garage

Tasteful conversion of the former palace in a delightful neighborhood with street cafes and side streets with that ever inspiring Dutch architecture - centrally located in walking distance to the best of Leeuwarden.

Great location, but major renovation needed.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

It is a beautiful historic building right in the center of town. However, the hotel is in desperate need of a gut renovation. No joke. Aside from a couple of beautiful historic rooms on the first floor, the hotel must be shut down for several months and stripped to the bones. Everything is worn out. Once they do that, it will be great. However, until then, I cannot recommend this hotel. For example, we stayed on an upper floor room, which was quite spacious, but had no air circulation and was extremely stuffy. There is no central air at all, which perhaps is not totally needed given Friesland's cooler climate, but there isn't even a simple ventilation system to pull air through. Everything is significantly dinged and nicked starting with the banisters in the stairways. The elevator feels like a death trap. The hotel does not even have password-protected wifi. If the owners do not do some serious work soon, I'm afraid this hotel will go out of business. There are just too many better similarly priced options nearby. And yes, it is possible to both modernize the building and maintain its historic beauty. It's just a matter of whether it's worth it.

The location right in the center of Leeuwarden is excellent. Parking is extra, but easily available. Breakfast was fine (not great, but not bad), solid array of food to choose from. Garden is lovely. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Strong marks for them.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Lovely central hotel with A+ Staff
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

There are no tea/coffee making facilities in the room, and there was no safe either. There are no toiletries other than the big soap dispensers mounted in the shower/bath and over the sink. Also, the paper cups in the bathroom look cheap, and I would have preferred glass to be honest. On our last day we read through the welcome 'file' and it does mention that there are safekeeping facilities in reception. There is no bar in the hotel either, but the staff will get you whatever you want which you can then enjoy in the lounge. There is no non-slip bathmat for the bath for when you shower, and I did almost fall trying to get out of the bath after my shower. The furniture is a little dated and worn, but this is really just an observation as opposed to a dislike.

The staff are all excellent. Very welcoming and happy to help with anything. The location is very good, it's very central and there are loads of bars and places to eat nearby. We availed of the bike hire directly from the hotel, but it takes a little getting used to cycling on the other side of the road! We didn't have breakfast at the hotel so cannot comment on that. The bed was comfy and we slept very well. The room itself was large and spacious.

Unpleasant receptionist
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Unfortunately, my experience with this hotel was not that great. It is true that this place has a history and has a good location, however, while initially I was considering of staying for a second night, as soon as I got there I quickly decided otherwise. Most importantly - I was unsatisfied with the reception. I was alone and it was my first time in the city so I asked some questions. Although the staff are usually expected to be polite and welcoming (especially at a 4 star hotel), I quickly realised that I have a person in front of me who does not want to answer ANY questions. You know - the kind of person that shows you with the tone, look and posture that she wants to get rid of you asap. This was not just one time when I just arrived, but several times that I approached her. Also, my room was at the 1st floor. I used the hotel's open WIFI net - it was crap and made it impossible to work on the computer. At last, the reception has strict working hours. At around 11pm I realised that I didnt have tooth paste so I called the reception - no one answered. I wonder what could have been if something serious had happened to me and I needed help.... In the morning, when I called again to ask for the tooth paste.. The Reception first asked me to come down and get it myself... and then they Agreed to ask someone to bring it to me in 15 minutes (just for the record - my room was some 30seconds away from the reception and when I was leaving there were around 5 people from the staff behind the reception). In the end I was charged 1,5, euro for the most regular tiny package with a plastic tooth brush and super-little tooth paste (I'm OK to pay for that at a Hostel, but in a 4-star hotel its a bit awkward, isn't it?! - I had never paid for this in any 2 to 4 star hotels before...). Overall, I suppose this hotel is popular for its historic venue and for the restaurant.

With a little bit of work this hotel could be really special.
    • Comfort Double Room with Bath

With a little bit of work this hotel could be really special. It is a former palace and the entrance and dining room reflect its grand past. Our room was very large but a little shabby. Dinner was very good and good value. All the staff we had contact with were very friendly. Welcome drink on arrival was a nice touch. Breakfast was very good and is served in a very impressive conservatory overlooking the pretty gardens.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

The hotel was convenient for walking around the city.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

We would have liked to dine in but were put off by the advertised option of three courses. We have been travelling for two weeks now, and eating out three meals a day can easily lead to overeating -we would have liked to have felt able to select single courses. We did that by going elsewhere to eat. We paid for the cheapest room and although it was clean, we were a little disappointed in the decor, which was out of character with such a lovely old building. Metallic table, side tables and robe were an unhappy match with the stately room.

The hotel was convenient for walking around the city. There were lots of eating place options nearby.

Good price - quality
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Carpet was quite old and not very clean. The room could do with some renovation.

We had one of the cheaper rooms, which was fine but it could do with an upgrade, especially the bathroom. Since we booked at the last minute we got a good deal on a cheaper room.

Good location - bad breakfast
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Breakfast: one of the worst I ever had in a 4 star hotel. Spent 3 days there, got the same every morning. Same each day, 4 kind of hot dishes (bacon, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, pancakes). These went regurarly empty, the staff was just struggeling (by they way they were not even saying you "good morning" when you entered the breakfast room). Weekday staff was more polite than the weekend staff, but the buffet was also empty quite often. No vegetables served at all, we bought some tomatos and paprika at a nearby supermarket and took it ourselfs to the breakfast. The last day we distributed the rest between the other guests, they were quite happy with that - it was a funny moment. Wifi in room 13 is useless.

Location is great, the hotel is located in the center of the city. The size of the rooms is very good, even our "normal" room was as big as a suite elsewhere.

Beautiful setting, sterile and noisy room
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Booking.com reservation did not get through despite confirmation. Fortunately there was 1 room left on the street side. This was extremely noisy as people passing by in the street appear to be walking in the room. Room was very sterile. The pilar heating in the room is hilarious.

Beautiful setting, nice breakfast, friendly staff.

Beware if booking this hotel for the disabled/access room, steps into hotel!
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Booked the hotel because it had a disabled/access room. However, the only way into the hotel is via the nine steps outside. Staff members were confused about whether there was another way into the hotel or not? Luckily for me, I could stand and transfer, so the steps were possible but very difficult. Anyone in a wheelchair, give this hotel a miss!

The room was big and very comfy. The accessible bathroom clean and modern. The food was 5 Star quality.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

Historic Charm
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

The hotel is a historical site that may seem dated to some people. However this also gives the hotel a sense of history and charm. The hotel is a great value for the experienced traveler.

The location is excellent. The Dinner was elegant. The staff was great.

The hotel location and building is excellent.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Staff is not really friendly and the interior feels very old and unorganized e.g. poor doors, coridors etc

The hotel location and building is excellent.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

Spaciousness and location.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Interior design of corridors, rooms and bathrooms rather basic

Spaciousness and location. Good restaurant with beautifull dining room with excellent food

Great location, stunning hotel, dated interior
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Dated rooms, stains in carpet, old furniture, sagging sofa

Great location, near shops and restaurants, beautiful building from the outside, very friendly staff

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Location: This hotel is located in the center of the city.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Location: This hotel is located in the center of the city. It has small garden. The room we stayed is a basic furnitured room, but it is quite big, even with a living room.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

• Comfort Double Room with Shower

Not relevant..everything was perfect.

Surprisingly the area behind the reataurant yielded a large number of e4arly stone age implements (small). You didn;t know that! The room was fantastic..we had a fantastic time there..my compliments.

Comfortable and great locatiion.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

No shower a bit difficult to have a wash if you don't want to have a bath.

Spacious and clean!!

Lovely hotel, beautiful premises.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Lovely hotel, beautiful premises. Large rooms, mine had a bath tub.

Ligging ih centrum,inrichting eetzaal.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

No airconditioning, terrible hot 37 degrees celsius. realize this was abnormal.

Ligging ih centrum,inrichting eetzaal.

Historical building on historical location with great...
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Historical building on historical location with great comfort.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

It's a bit old fashioned.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

The breakfast is not very good

It's a bit old fashioned. The hotel has a beutiful garden. The stuff is helpful and friendly

Excellent location in the centre of Leeuwarden with a royal...
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Excellent location in the centre of Leeuwarden with a royal atmosphere.

Large room;
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Large room; excellent and refined diner, very helpful staff, carparking at 100m distance, centrally located hotel with style.

Location, garden
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Temperature in the room. No airco and it is not possible to open a window.

Location, garden

Great location, large clean rooms

Breakfast buffet looked unimpressive

Outside patio

A must go.

It was awesome

Heritage

satisfactory

not very cosy room

location, large room, view

Hotel rooms are a bit tired looking.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Hotel rooms are a bit tired looking. Old carpets, etc.

Excellent location and quality accommodation.

Excellent location and quality accommodation.

Very good stay in a very friendly city

Breakfast pricing

The location was excellent

it'was a very good hotel in the centre of Leeuwarden i...
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

it'was a very good hotel in the centre of Leeuwarden i really recommend this place!

Position and ambience and heritage
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Lack of fridge or tea making. Service for a casual drink or tea or coffee a was slow and not a priority for staff.

Position and ambience and heritage

Nice Hotel
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Room rate is a little expensive

Good room, nice meal, kindly starffs, hotel located in a beautiful small town.

Would recommend it.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Didn't have any problems.

It was in a great position and it was nice and quiet.

I will return

Location,grounds,lift

The location in the old part of town.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

The location in the old part of town. The restaurants nearby. The garden and how the breakfast room looks out to the garden. Our room was big.

Nice for a weekend
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Not too much extra comfort

Interesting story told by the paintings.

Favorite place in the Netherlands
    • Suite

The history of the property is the greatest value. Walking distance to Leeuwarden walking tour

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

Spacious room
    • Comfort Double Room with Bath

No hospitality tray Warm room without air conditioning

Spacious room Nice historic atmosphere Right in town center Nice long bath

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Central location, large rooms, rich breakfast.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Central location, large rooms, rich breakfast.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

the double bed with 2 single mattresses was a bit...
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

the double bed with 2 single mattresses was a bit uncomfortable, otherwise everything was great

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Locationwas good and staff very helpful and friendly

Room was rather cold

Locationwas good and staff very helpful and friendly

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

Fantastic place with lovely staff
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

The staff are so wonderful!

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

hotel needs an update
    • Suite

no extra's as coffee, drinks or bodylotion. No luxury

room with a lot of space, location splendid

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

It can do with an update.
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

It can do with an update. The furniture needs to be upholstered.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

"Nice escape from the kids

No Original "Friese kruidkoek

great location, lovely breakfast, comfy beds

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

Gorgeous hotel - great breakfast - great location!
    • Comfort Double Room with Shower

Gorgeous hotel - great breakfast - great location! Very grand!

• Reviewed: 24 May 2016

we got a suite - not a room.

tv was a bit complicated but we got the knack of it eventually. Also, not all of us are six foot tall Frisians so only mirror - in bathroom over sink - was way above my head.

we got a suite - not a room. Loads of space. This added to the experience - felt like we were in a scene out of 'The Sound of Music'! Old palace now a hotel - the room had an extra sign for 'hound in room'...

• Reviewed: 22 May 2016

Quality of hotel and staff was excellent.

I had coupons for free drinks for goin "green" with the linen service but I could find no bar service to redeem them. The information about the hotel services was difficult to find and to understand.

Quality of hotel and staff was excellent. There were a lot of excellent restaurants near-by.

There are also 35 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Fletcher Hotel Paleis Stadhouderlijk Hof traveller photo gallery