Reviews of Bilderberg Garden Hotel 5 stars

Dijsselhofplantsoen 7, Oud Zuid, 1077 BJ Amsterdam, Netherlands

#176 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We stayed one night only but it was a very nice stay, everything was very good, room is great. Nothing to complain. I would definitely recommend this hotel who wants to visit Amsterdam

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The hospitality was the worst i have ever seen. The staff is very unpolite and not helpful at all. I will not recommend to stay here with family.

Hard to recall.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Lack of staff at reception. I've never seen such big queues of people trying to check in or out of hotel whilst some staff appeared out of the office not working on the busy reception - despite seeing queues.

Not quite the 5 star hotel you expect as it lacks a lot of usual comforts and location

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Drawers or shelves for clothes. Bettrer information about how to see the sights.

Facility is very clean, nice furniture, appealing BUT there are no drawers or shelves. Fine for overnight but for for a few days, I like to take some things out of suitcase, toiletries on shelf or in cabinet, etc. The front desk personnel was very pleasant and would provide info when asked specific questions but no suggestions or recommendations. For example, we asked about Hop-on/Hop-off bus. They showed us on a map where to buy tickets, etc. After finding our way around the first day, we asked about the tram which we saw near-by. Oh, it runs right into downtown (ending right (where Hop-on/Hop-off begins!)

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Was not aware of the £100 security deposit that could take up to 3 months to return. They should state this when booking.

Friendliness of staff and quick service.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We arrived at 11 am from airport and did not get into our rooms until 4pm. We had booked 3 rooms.. At 3pm when we should have recieved our rooms they chose to deal with a large busgroup who had just arrived and simply ignored us. Despite our asking for our rooms. They were unfriendly and finally when they did our paper work for billing they mixed the names and room numbers up. They were totally dosorganized at the desk. They should have given us our rooms earlier knowing a bus group was arriving. I will never stay there again, nor recommend it. Nor will my travelling companions.

The rooms were good and location was oretty. They served canapes free for those waiting for rooms however this was after we had already ordered food and drink as our wait was so long. Food in restaurant was excellent.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

While booking it was shown that the hotel has a fitness center. However, during check in it was disclosed there is no fitness center. Rather the hotel asked to use fitness center across the street by paying Euro 17 per visit extra. Further, the business center of the hotel is non existent. They have a basic printer and no system to give print command from. They asked me to use my laptop but had no instructions to install the printer. I could not get prints for the meeting I had to go to. The hotel's breakfast is not suitable for a high end hotel, none of the jucies was freshly squeezed.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The hotel's facilities are not five star (no pool, for example). The elevator did not work for some days, the cost of bicycle rentals is double the city and there is no one who fits the bike

The service was pleasant and inviting.

• Deluxe Double Room with Balcony

Staff at reception were slow to respond to a request for a second bathrobe. We were meant to have two. We asked reception twice and it did not arrive. A housekeeper we met in the hallway did get one to us in the end. Just a small thing.

Comfortable room with balcony and tree view. Close to nice parks and good cafes.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I would not recommend this property to anyone! In the USA if a room is clean and you arrive you get that room. No one was allowed into their rooms till 3:00 and by that time their were over one hundred people waiting. Then a tour bus comes at 2:45 and they crowd the lobby too. I asked at the desk what is the process to getting your room, since some people have been waiting 3 hours and some only a couple of minutes to an hour. They did not have a procedure, they took people at random. Tow clerks and two bell people to take all the people to their rooms. WHAT A MESS THAT THEY COULD HAVE AVOIDED, simply by taking people as they came to check in and assign a room then. Will never go back to this hotel and will tell Americans how bad check in was and lied to our faces that rooms were not ready, and then at the strick of 3 all the rooms were ready. BAD BAD BAD

Warm, friendly staff. Clean, well kept.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Reception staff very somber 🙁 need to smile more don’t they know some people are on holidays. Had to ask for more coffee twice

Beds were really comfortable extra pillows a bonus really clean

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The outside of the building doesn't look very nice which was a bit of a surprise. It was also a bit far away from the city centre, though close enough to museums like the Van Gogh and Modern Art museums to be able to walk to those which made up for it. For the overall price there wasn't much to differentiate this as a European 5 star city hotel from a 4 star one in my experience.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful, gave us extra info on the city and attractions whenever we needed it and let us check out late when an electricity blackout across the city stopped all the hot water on our last day. Inside the hotel everything seemed pleasantly decorated.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The air conditioning was very noisy which made it difficult to get a good night's sleep. Good location in a quiet residential area but in walking distance of Museumplein and the centre.

The room was a good size and the beds comfortable. Breakfast was quite expensive but very nice.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The hotel is getting old with lots of small failers. Specialy bathroom, elevator and floor is ready to be replaced. Staff is AMAZING friendly and proffesional

Staff/ location

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Double bed was not available. only twin beds. We were promised to be transferred in a room with double bed the following day, but this did not happen!!!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Can update the furniture and décor.

Upper class neighborhood. Lots of luxury. Loved the L,Occitane amenities. Loved the gas fireplaces outside and inside .

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The hotel is not even close to be a 5*, is a 3* superior or a 4* in the best scenario. When I got there the room was not ready, beside that my GENIUS status give me access to a early priority access to the room and also I make an special request by email a week in advance. The room was not ready until 3pm and once we got it the bb bed was not there either. The two ladies at the front desk were useless to resolve the problem and after my complain, they gave me a free late check out. Breakfast was €23 extra per person, is a normal Continental Breakfast, you can have a nice one for half of the money 2 blocks from the hotel .

The hotel is a very quiet residencial area, very close (10 blocks) from the Van Gogh Museum and has a great access to public transportation (€7.5/day) . The room is very nice and has a extraordinary bed!!! Also is very easy find a parking place for the car for €21/day. Also has a nice fireplace out side to have a drink before dinner. The resto is good but a bit expensive.

• Deluxe Double Room with Balcony

We paid extra for a private balcony, we were a bit disappointed with views and the whole thing looked worn when compared with review photos

The bed was comfortable and huge room was lovely

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The artificial smells in the whole building was very disturbing, beside being very toxic for your health, it leaves a very nasty tast in your mouth. The only reason a place would do this is that it has something to hide. The good thing was that after my complaint they removed them from the hallways. The room needs a urgent update, seating of the toilet was broke, the toiletpaper hanger was loose, the window frame was broke. The bathrobe was so wore out that I would not even consider bringing it to a secondhand shop.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

They transfer me 2 times from my room & they want to charge me extra 40€ for the last day while they were fully bocked & they didn't inform me about this issue.. they have my contacts mobile & e-mail. Once we solve this issue they claim it again with the new stuff trying to push to take difference & in deed we solve it before one day of my stay.. Stuff didn't contact with each other & no management notice between them.

Nothing more

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Great hotel located on a quit residential location near the city center and easy to take Trams to airport and other places. There is a bike rental around the corner at another hotel called Alfred.

Everything.

It was a very bad experience and far far far below expectations definitely does not deserve 5 stars. No pool or wellness facilities. Not value for money.

• Deluxe Double Room with Balcony

The hotel is a little far away from everything. It is roughly 15-20 mins walk away from the south of dam but it is a really nice residential area. An Uber only cost around €5 from Leidseplein so pretty inexpensive. The price of the rooms reflect the hotel being slightly out so well worth it in my opinion.

Really nice comfy hotel. I’m not sure it really is a 5* as rooms are old fashioned but overall a nice stay with friendly staff. We stayed for our wedding anniversary and the staff brought a bottle of bubbly on ice to the room which was a nice touch that we won’t forget. We chose a room with a balcony which was nice & handy if you enjoy a smoke 😂

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

From my opinion this hotel is definitely not 5 stars. Our room was very small, furniture is quite old, the mirror's frame in bathroom is scratched, ventilation in bathroom is not working. Also the fire alarm was accidentally switched on the middle of night (it was really horrible sound), we woke up and started to hurry to left the room, but then it just switched off. and no one explained (we asked on reception next morning) or even apologized for that! And be aware, that your room will not be ready earlier than 3pm (it's in hotel description) even if it's not high season in Amsterdam.

Location is perfect. Staff are very friendly (they found a vase for flowers that we bought, printed our boarding passes by request)

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Last day of my stay at 06.30 in the morning fire alarm went off, we got ready quickly and almost ran out of room in a minute then it stopped(we were very scared) I called the reception and a highbrow employee told me that its a false alarm because of the kitchen in a careless tone. She didn’t even apologize. During check out I asked about it again, another receptionist told me that someone smoked in their room and it was not their fault. Basically they are not very professional and careless about their customers. Air conditioner is very noisy/doesn’t warm the room over 22C. At their lobby restaurant i ordered a burger and it arrived after 1 hour 15 mins so beware, price/performance doesnt exist in this hotel.

Location was good, close to museums, bed was comfortable

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Found a few hairs in my bedsheets and pillow.

The WiFi was fast. Easy access to the city centre ( Tram no. 5 to Central station). Excellent size of room and comfortable bed.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The fire alarm rang in the middle of the night but those things can happen.

Excellent hotel, I got an upgrade to a superior room, with free mini bar. Great customer care in general. Easy to park outside at night.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Avoid the restaurant in the hotel. It's way too expensive for what it is. On the menu it's written one plate for 15~20€, but the portion is just ridiculous. I ordered a risotto (15€) for my sons, 1 year and 3 years old , but the portion is not even 150g, for my 1 year old son alone it's even not enough. I wish the restaurant could be more straightforward, design a four courses menu for 100 euros instead of misleading people this way. And this place is definitely not for kids.

• Deluxe Double Room with Balcony

This hotel was defiantly not a five star. The hairdryer was broke and staff have tried to fix it with gaff tape. Not impressed and the robes had blood stains.

The balcony was lovely and thand beds were comfortable.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Breakfast is a rip off. We were charged 23 euros each for cold tea, stale bread, dry pancakes and rubbery scrambled egg. For 2people, breakfast cost us half of the total room rate. Ridiculous.

Friendly staff. Good sized room and bed. Clean, nice quality.

I had to leave 😢

Wow wow now this is what you call a 5*hotel The service hotel staff bar cocktail in the bar was fabulous And the gentleman he is the best cute too 😊 Food in the restaurant was fantastic had dinner with two of my friends we love it .

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The shower hose was leaking water badly which had an impact on the water pressure. Also we had the feeling that for 5 stars we should have had a higher standard of room. Also it would be nice if housekeeping would not come into the room around 10 am on a Saturday morning considering we only got back to the hotel at 5 am.

The beds are comfy and pillows are also very good, the room was clean and was tidied up during our stay. Clean towels also provided on both days which was good. Overall location is fine although it can be a bit difficult to get to during the night. Luckily Uber is not too expensive from the Center to the Hotel.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The staff were absolutely fantastic , they answered every question with great detail and patience. The bar manager was extremely friendly and every time we saw him he was smiling which is a great thing to see.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Parking issues:They have my plate number and promised me to pay parking fee for me,but still,I got a fine ticket from city. They said it is because of I took my key away,but nobody told me I can’t keep my key otherwise will get a fine ticket. The manager keeps saying that’s my own fault,none of their business,witch makes me feels like I have been fooled.upset and disappointed.

Considering in AMS,the price was okay,the bed was huge.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Bathroom was a bit in need of a refresh, the shower was a bit of a challenge, and the finish was a bit scruffy, nothing that took away from the overall comfort, but the one thing that was less than as good as could be. Not a problem at all though.

great bed, big room, very comfortable

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The bathroom was not clean. The room temperature was set at 19 C which is 66.2 F. I had to wear a coat in my hotel room. Tried to raise the temp, but did not work. I reported to the font desk, but they never send anyone to fix the problem.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was good but overpriced at £23.90 per person per day. we've have had a lot better for a lot less. The fan in the room was very noisy and the room could heave been a bit warmer.

Staff very helpful and friendly. We arrived early and I liked it very much that the porter offered to keep our bags in storage until our room would be available. The lounge was very comfortable and and easy to use, not too busy and not too crowded. There was a computer and printer available so that we could print off our boarding pass in comfort for free, very impressed with this. The surroundings are very pleasant in an affluent area of Amsterdam with beautiful houses and within walking distance is Beethoven Straat (Street) with shops and restaurants and trams for easy access to the centre for museums and shopping etc.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Underwhelmed by this hotel which had come highly reeommended. Dated room interiors, hand prints all over the room and a hair in my bed. My room was right on the road so there was loud traffic noise. Cleaning team tried to come into my room at 8:45am so had to leap out of bed, which made me feel on edge. Room service was an additional €7.50 per item even for ice, total rip off so had to go the bar in my slippers. Not a very friendly experience. For the money €250 a night, I could have stayed in much better places in Amsterdam.

Quick check in, rooms had a bath and shower.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Cleanliness room- WiFi basic, otherwise against a daily fee - room temperature = flat whole year through (in winter too cold) - staff not very well educated. In the past everything was far better.

Upon check-in an amount was asked from your credit card (50,00 E.) p.day. Not very normal . A credit-card security yes. I know this hotel very well for many years. Something has changed for the worse.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Frankly I was not blown away by the hotel which is quiet dated / old. Hated the fact the staff deducted the full room rate of my credit card when checking in and then ended up re-inbursing me as booking.com had already ensured the payment. A messy check in other words.

good beds, nice and quiet area ensured a good night sleep, friendly staff, descent breakfast

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The shower and bath was a little small but OK

Super comfy bed and the air conditioning was digital control and managed the room temp well. The room was modern and spacious

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Racist hotel. My wife and my son went to hotel restaurant and the host say (“ you know this is for find dining, did you see the menu. Perhaps is best get a sandwich at the bar.”) when I say hi to the staff some how they see me as invisible.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Well, when you see 5* in Amsterdam one would expect more luxury and attention to details. I’ve been in various 5* hotels around the world and this is not impressive for the stars. There were no slippers in the room even if a bathrobe was present. There was no instant coffee only cappuccino powder near the warming water device. The breakfast rates are expensive so we decided for a local patisserie on van Baerlestraat, a very nice walk in the direction of Museumsplein. On Saturday morning early around 7.00 am a lot of noise under our windows from I believe garbage truck and the persons who were manipulating it. Or maybe some delivery truck and very noisy people. Very unfortunate after a short night for what was supposed to be a lazy/ relaxed Saturday morning.

The restaurant “De Kersentuin” was a very nice & delicious surprise. The bed was big and comfortable. It was in walking distance from Concertgebauw where we had to be that evening.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We stayed in the Suite and was disappointed that our used dinner plates and empty bottles were left outside our door for a day. Probably an oversight. But non impressive nonetheless.

Beautiful interior and highly competent staff. They gave swift assistance to email requests and at the property. Frankie the Barman is friendly and fun manner makes for delightful banter for guests who want to engage with Dutch locals.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I think the hotel is a bit far from public transportation, the free wifi is a bit slow for a 5 star hotel and lastly, for a normal room i guess they could do better for a 5 star.

Everything was amazing, the personnel is great and very friendly, the room is huge, the access to the hotel is very easy, parking spots available anywhere (even tho we came by bike). Didn’t have breakfast but saw it in the morning looks amazing!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Room was a little warm and couldn’t adjust the thermostat to make it cooler.

Clean, pleasant room, Tv with English channels, tea and coffee facilities.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Would have liked some extra drawer space in room (only one small one) There was a wardrobe which was not used.

Nice comfortable room and walking distance to the centre of Amsterdam. Weather very windy and wet during our stay but there is a tram nearby. Staff very helpful.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Unfriendly staff, terrible service, no help with luggage. Super long waiting times and terrible room service. The food the room service served was from a four item menu. When we ordered they didn’t have one of the four items. Food was very normal on top of that.

Affordability was the only plus.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Because of the flight, I arrived at the hotel at around 7am, according to the hotel policy I can check in only after 3pm. But the hotel staff tried to give me the room at 7:30am already!

• Executive Double or Twin Room

spa bath wasn't working and mini bar didn't include right things and they didn't refill it. room was very cold so we had to ask heat blower.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The size and quality of the room was not really five star, it was no better or worse than say a Premier Inn

The staff were exremely pleasant and helpful

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Heating system wasn't working.

Located in a peaceful and beautiful part of the city. Short walk into centre. Nice areas nearby, with museums and restaurants

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The main restaurant wasn't open throughout our stay so food options were limitec

Clean modern feel. Staff very helpful, particularly when there was a problem with our room

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Some staff not very helpful, not much information was given when asked about the area and trams nearby, better customer service needed for the price of the hotel

Peaceful, interior was lovely, very clean, most of the staff were very friendly

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The breakfast is very expensive and 15 EUR for a gin & tonic was a bit of a shock.

Delightful super helpful staff, great location in quite a posh part of Amsterdam, full of lovely restaurants, cafes and quirky shops. A short walk to a choice of trams straight into the centre of the city - buy a multi day pass from the concierge at the hotel - and not far to walk to the museums.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The room could be more clean. No restaurants around to eat or any other choice for breakfast.

The room wasn't as clean as we expected, the breakfast was quite expensive for what was there to offer. The vegetables served weren't as fresh as we would expect in a 5* hotel. The staff was excellent and very helpful.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The restaurant serves sophisticated food served in very small portions which is expensive but good. The €7.50 charge for room service is too much, when the food is already expensive.

Spacious room with a full minibar and comfy beds.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Staff seemed untrained. They double booked our room and other guests walked in on us. After refusing a drink at the bar as recompense they upgraded us to executive room. We received no information at check in about facilities, WiFi, breakfast etc. Very disorganised.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The room wasn’t worth 5 stars or the 200+ € per night we unfortunately paid. It was clean but dated. The mattress was old and the heating system couldn’t properly heat the room so they brought a noisy electrical heater. Bathroom was very cold, as there’s no heating at all there.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Not the most central area of Amsterdam but we knew that already and by renting a bike we could turn that into a plus point.

Good quality room for a good price

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

There was no view from our room, walls were paper thin so was kept up by banging around late at night and could have done with a thorough clean throughout the room.

Bed was comfortable and the staff were nice. Lovely hotel.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Room Heating system tricky to operate

High standard of room - large room, big twin beds , seating area Very attractive bar and restaurant and terrace Friendly helpful staff

• Suite

i've stayed in a lot of 1-3* but this was first 5* i had stayed at and i think i just expected a lot better like everything to be the best of best but was disappointed. service was slow & forgetful, found a bug in bathroom, tried to overcharge us by €100, room was freeeeezing had to ask for extra heater.

bed was v comfortable free mini bar in suite

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

WiFi was a bit iffy the night of the storm, but I suspect this was an internet problem; it was fine next morning.

This was quite possbly my favourite hotel in the world even before I made a last-minute reservation from the airport after being stranded by the snowstorm chaos. Staff were wonderful in helping me navigate the crippled transport system!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Very friendly staff in an excellent hotel in a brilliant location. This was a surprise trip to celebrate my wife's birthday and we were made to feel really welcome and relaxed from the minute we arrived.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We were told that ordering using the restaurant menu would take hours and offered a menu (without saying the price). We ended up paying 60€/pax for a miserable dinner and found mouses in that restaurant after, in that same day

Nice service and kind people

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Water built up in sink and tub. Removed stoppers from both in order to let staff know there was a problem. Slow drainage was not fixed during our one-week stay.

Clean, quiet, roomy. Compfy bed, friendly staff.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The hotel was further from the main attractions than we had expected, but it did not spoil our stay - we just had to walk further!

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was great, bed very comfortable.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

If breakfast was cheaper we may have been tempted to eat in the hotel.

This hotel is clean and quiet. It has helpful and friendly staff (especially Frank) offering smooth check in and out and nothing was too much trouble. It is close to tram line and is in a safe area.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

only small point was the restaurant menu we felt had too much fish/seafood content. We decided to eat in the bar and I had a beautiful ribeye steak thank you

Dennis on the reception desk was superb. Very friendly and helpful couldnt have done more for us a credit to your hotel

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Rooms tired and in need of a makeover, certainly not 5 star standard.

Communal areas very swish. Restaurant amazing would recommend that you have a meal there

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

When we asked to modify our check out date because we needed to check earlier that wasn't flexible. First, they told us you need to contact booking which we did and booking confirmed that we can check out earlier. Second, they said the refund is not guaranteed it depends on the management decision and we had to write a letter for that? The thing is we told them in advance that we are going to check out early and they were ok with it but when tried to check out that wasn't flexible.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

LIGHT DIDN'T WORK ABOVE MIRROR, ASKED FOR A TWIN ROOM - WAS CONFIRMED AND NOT PROVIDED. BOUGHT EXTENDED CHECKOUT AND STILL GOT INTERRUPTED 8 TIMES SO WASN'T ALLOWED TO SNOOZE BASICALLY NOT GREAT.

IT WAS CLEAN

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The room was very comfortable and just what we were looking for. The staff were extra friendly and Frank the barman was brilliant and a great laugh!! The atmosphere was great, and we wanted to stay longer. We would return if we visited Amsterdam again.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

My husband and I would have liked to be able to turn the air-conditioning up to a higher temperature. We visited end of October 2017 and found the room a little chilly.

Hotel was superb, clean, organised, and well thought out. Splendid welcome by attentive staff throughout the stay, they were always happy to help. Food was delicious and the bar stewart could make an amazing cocktail or two. Would totally recommend.

Browse Bilderberg Garden Hotel traveller photo gallery