Reviews of Grand Hotel Alkmaar 4 stars

Gedempte Nieuwesloot 36, 1811 KT Alkmaar, Netherlands

#16 of 25 hotels in Alkmaar

The hotel is no longer bicycle-friendly. They used to have two safe courtyards where bicycles could be parked overnight. No more. They send you to a public bike parking area a few blocks away. We booked here for a second stay expecting the onsite bike parking. Needless to say, there will not be a third stay, as all our travel in the Netherlands is by bike. Be aware that rooms on the front side on Friday nights will hear the tables being set up at 4 or 5 am for the Saturday market.

The room was spacious, attractive and comfortable. Location is terrific, in the heart of the city. Breakfast was very good.

On our check-in date, the room cleaning is delayed and had to wait for one hour. The standard room is not equipped with room telephone, which is unexpectedly inconvenient especially because we needed to contact the reception several times. The elevator buttons need to be kept pressed to call/operate. Nearby open air parking has short time limit of 2 hours, otherwise you need to by one day ticket and the place is not available on Friday night due to the local market on Saturday morning. The other parking garage is also closely located but due to all the one way streets, you make double distance to make a return trip to the garage.

Atmosphere of the facility. Nice room with high ceiling. Friendly personnel try to be helpful in the difficult situation regarding delayed room cleaning. We had several drinks on the hotel while we were waiting etc.

• Deluxe Double Room

A bit strange that the shower was open to the bedroom

The room was really big with high ceilings, right downtown There was even a private sauna in the room! Very comfortable! Excellent breakfast

• Deluxe Double Room

breakfast was good. There was plenty of choices and it was well cooked. The staff were very helpful and efficient. the hotel was upgrading the old dining room but the alternate room was comfortable.

• Deluxe Double Room

Breakfast was not particularly exciting, little variety but no big deal anyway

Very nice place, in the heart of Alkmaar, confortable room and well insulated against noise - it was Koningsdag's first night and I managed to sleep nevertheless..

• Deluxe Double Room

Reception left totally unattended until 8 am (not acceptable for a 4* and for the price I paid - around 130 €), and also vacant on arrival at a normal very hour: 6-7 pm (had to go look around). Clearly understaffed, not the staff’s fault. Personnel was indeed very friendly. (I found in the reviews other complaints about this same issue, i.e. vacant reception) Cold room (heating was left off !with outside temperature of 11*C)

Perfect location Nice historical building

• Deluxe Double Room

TV was not working, but that could happen sometimes.

Breakfast is very decent, location is nice it is in the city center, parking is near by, but not in front of the Hotel. Stuff is very helpful, rooms are clean and internet is decent. This was my second stay, but I will come again.

• Deluxe Double Room

Have been here before that’s the reason why we come back again Wonderful staff and management very professional great breakfast ea day We enjoyed our stay

• Deluxe Double Room

There's no parking at hotel and it's on a one way street.

The bed was comfy, the room was warm and clean and there was plenty of choice at breakfast.

• Deluxe Double Room

Internet was not working properly. It was fine in the lobby, but not in my room. The person in the reception was nice and restarted all routers. Then it worked, but after 10 minutes I had the same issue again.

Nice large room, coffee maker in the room

• Deluxe Double Room

under the window of the hotel at night screaming very drunk people, fighting, was the police

the beautiful old town; the city of cheeses; tasty herring

• Deluxe Double Room

During our stay there was a wedding at the hotel, and as our room was right above it the noise and music kept us awake until far past midnight. Furthermore you hear the noise from the street quite loudly in the room, which is inconvenient as there is a market right in front of the hotel every Saturday morning, which they build up from 5 am onwards.

Nice location and staff

• Deluxe Double Room

The television in the room was terrible. They said they would fix it, but they didn't.

We had a large room and a huge bathroom. The room was pleasantly situated at the quiet back of the hotel. We could leave our bicycles in a small courtyard so we didn't have to leave them in the street.

• Deluxe Double Room

There was the annual festivity with a lot of noise just in front of the door so we could not look outside because of the big truck in front of the hotel. Some noise of people until 3 o'clock at night. Facilities of the room were fine, but the colours a bit too dark. But that is a personal taste of course

The breakfast, facilities in the room and location in the citycenter.

• Deluxe Double Room

The layout of the room: it was under the roof, which wasn't bad as the surface was generous and there was light and a good view with no direct neighbours; but there was wasted space at the entry and in the bathroom (which had no towel hangers where one needs them), and the furniture was not carefully chosen (a massive dark wooden wardrobe blocked part of one window); given the dimensions of the room, the TV screen was rather small.

Breakfast: abundant and varied (yoghurt, cereals, fruit, cakes, eggs, sausage, cheese, bacon, salmon, etc.); mattress: comfortable; room: spacious; building: historical (old post office); location: very central; the free drink we got at the bar in the evening; the value for money (thanks to the special offer).

• Deluxe Double Room

Bicycle parking in an interior courtyard (but outdoors with no roof). Outstanding breakfast, with delicious fried eggs made to order with cheese and ham. Comfortable room, friendly staff. Right in the center of town, only 900 m from the train station. Nice interior, building used to be a post office.

• Deluxe Double Room

The room was so small that you could not open the bathroom door without touching the bed. It did not look like any of the pictures as shown on the site. A bit disappointing.

It is nice in the middle of the centre. Helpful and friendly staff. Good breakfast.

• Deluxe Double Room

There was nothing we didn't like!

Helpful staff, who provided safe storage for our bikes and luggage, even though we arrived well in advance of the check-in time. Beautiful rooms, which were very well appointed, and with comfortable beds. There is a pleasant and relaxing bar. The breakfast was excellent, with lots of choice. I've stayed here before, and will definitely stay here again next time I come back to Alkmaar. The location is very central and convenient.

Beds, but that's personal. Wifi not very strong in the rooms. Bathroom in smaller room without curtain or door to close of the shower, resulting in a wet bathroom floor

Location is very central with a number of parking options nearby and on the street when there's no market. Staff was nice.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

• Executive Room

The room was poor as it was meant to be a better room which we paid for , no water in the room tissues tiny TV on the right of the wall , all in all very poor .

Not a lot to be honest !!

• Deluxe Double Room

Parking a little out of the way but not really a problem

The lovely student that served our food. Very attentive and made us feel looked after very well

• Deluxe Double Room

Coffee very disappointing. Not enough staff. We wanted to have a bite/drink at the express bar, but we had to leave after 15' waiting. No one came back to take orders after they asked us to wait a moment. Good thing, plenty of options around the corner. Parking ticket discount policy not explicit. Staff not consistent and not giving the same information.

Great location, great building and room. Nice breakfast buffet.

• Deluxe Double Room

The church bells playing every 15 minutes through the night which kept waking me up would mean that I am unlikely to stay here again unless there was a room away from the church. I also thought found that with no shower screen/curtain in the bathroom resulted in some water spraying onto the floor when having my shower. I also thought the toilet roll quality was pretty poor albeit would appear to be environmentally friendly.

The location of the hotel and the room décor was very nice and modern.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Church bells ringing every 15 minutes at night and kept me awake - this is enough to make me not come back on next business trip to Alkmaar. Shame because other than that it's a great hotel and clearly not their fault that the bells ring!

Decor of hotel very nice throughout.

• Deluxe Double Room

The rooms at the front were very noisy the night we stayed as local team just beaten at football and the Police ended up breaking the rowdy party across the road sometime after midnight.

Location good and staff helpful on locating extra tea etc.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

The Hotel was nice; but, there was this one thing that wasn't quite right. There was no shower privacy. The shower was in the room without a wall or any tinted glass; so that if one was to watch television he or she could see the other take a shower. It is ok if you travel with your spouse or lover but, it is a different story if you are traveling with your teenager; which it was my case. Apart from that, it has been quite pleasant. The little town Alkmaar was beautiful. Lots of little stores and cozy places to relax and enjoy the atmosphere. We went to the coast to Bergen, which was not that far away. From there we took a one hour walk, on the beach, all the way to Egmond. All in all, it was an enjoyable stay at the hotel and in Alkmaar.

Service was slow at times as there are no dedicated front office staff / bar, etc.

I was given an upgrade to a very comfortable and spacious room. The staff were happy to accommodate requests.

I stayed at the junior suite, with had nothing to do with a suite, except the bathtub in the room. Window were facing the directly into the ventilation system. No room service, not possible to get a meal after 9pm.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Oh well, being in a historic center of a city in the Netherlands might also mean that your sleep will be disturbed every 15 minutes by the church bell tolls. It is the case in this hotel. If your sleep is light, the bells will disturb you. Breakfast was tasty, but not too much choice. It is OK for me, I usually munch a croissant and top it with a mug of coffee, but some guests might long for more choice. My biggest complaint by far is the heating. I visited the hotel in early March, and when I checked in my room was cold as ice. I went straight to bed, tucked myself in covers but to no avail - my feet stayed cold. Then I checked the heaters - they were completely off :-( OK, I turned them on, the room heated up and I eventually managed to fall asleep. Next day comes, I go out for business meetings, come back to the room - and it is cold again. The maids turned the heating off during the day :-( OK, I turn the heaters back on and wait for the room to heat up again. Next night the same story, and every night until the end of my stay. I guess the maids are switching the heating off to decrease the cost of heating, but the hotel may lose more money on guests running away from cold. Although I managed to heat my room up every night, the bathroom stayed ice cold throughout my stay - the stone floor in particular.

The staff was very friendly, helpful and professional. The room was big and comfortable. WiFi was fast and stable. Location is also very good, in the historic center of the city, close to many restaurants and relatively close to public transport.

• Deluxe Double Room

Not so good; strangely enough there are no chains or peepholes on the doors, there is no room safe or mini bar, not even a water kooker. There is no adjustable heating or airco. Things I associate with a 4 star hotel And since this is a converted building it can be a bit noisy at times especially around breakfast time. The TV of our neighbours was on the same wall as our headboard and even their TV wasn't blasting you could clearly hear it. There is no shelf in or near the shower cube so you have to put your bottles on the floor. A few hooks would have been nice too. The TV size and quality is below par for a hotel in this price range. The bad; there were broken light bulbs that weren't replaced even when requested, The ugly; the TV remote was filthy and clearly overlooked by houskeeping for years!!

The good; the hotel is conveniently located in the center in a beaufiful building that used to be a post office. The room we stayed in was spacious and nicely designed. There is free WIFI

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

Our bedroom was facing the street so at night there was a lot of noise and music from the bar across the road.

Excellent convenient location. Nice breakfast.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

Didn't like the bathroom set up - too open plan chilly when showering and no privacy with toilet Need more staff waiting too long at bar at times

Location, breakfast, bar & staff all great

• Reviewed: 13 September 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

We were not pleased with the comfort of our "deluxe" room. The hotel was very stingy with the toiletries (we had to ask every day -- 4 days! -- for soap) and there was no coffee maker in the room and there were no tissues. There was a lot of noise from the outside and with the windows closed it was very warm in the room. We complained and got a better room. NONE of the bathrooms have shower curtains, which is very annoying when you have to mop up after yourself. When we checked out, the manager was not sympathetic to our complaints. It wasn't until WE suggested it that we were offered compensation for our great displeasure. Breakfast was disappointing!

Located in the center of the city. Very convenient.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

- Very minimal toiletry. - Despite the size of the room, the bed was too close to a low part of the roof. Getting up, I hit a beam with my head: a 4 cm wound !

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

No air conditioning specially on the hot day we stayed very warm in the room and no carpark on site you have to park in a carpark 2 streets away.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

It could be cleaner ( hair in the bed, dust on furniture, carpet not well cleaned). There were loud sounds of the nearby church and streets day and night. Very poor lift facilities (we had to use the stairs mostly). Lift goes up to the 2nd floor only. Breakfast good enough for an inn and not a 4 star hotel.

Really at the center of everything. Nice design in the rooms.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Executive Room

They gave away the room that I booked for my arrival date. They gave me a lesser quality room than what I had booked. This a major NO NO in my book. I consider it a breach of trust. It really screwed up my rhythm for the week. As a result I will try other hotels in the area before deciding if this will be my regular.

The Staff was excellent ! Location ideal for my business trip. The Breakfast is outstanding. The restaurant is good. Prices reasonable.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

parking was a bit tricky, but the staff helped us figure out the best place to go.

We had a adorable room, great bathroom and nice comfy bed. Overlooks very old area of town. Nice breakfast too. Highly recommend

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

A few details, mainly minor : showers flood the bathroom area somewhat, particularly when 2 showers are taken. Black furniture, although nice, does show the dust so much. Mattress protection covers do need to be clean. (Stains, even small are unpleasant). Whatever happened to simple handsoap? Liquid or even a tiny cake would be fine. (A small kettle in room, though unessential, would be a + too).

Alkmaar is a wonderful town and the hotel is very nicely situated. Good hotel design and decor with pleasant and accommodating staff. The room was quiet. Good breakfasts in stylish, comfortable and spacious dining room. Modern chic and tasteful style. Great wifi connection.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

Arrival on Saturday; hotel could not be reached by car due to market, entrance hidden between stalls. Could have been part of confirmation email!

Very helpful staff, location in city center, excellent breakfast buffet.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

1. There is a parking problem near the Hotel. You need to prepare yourself to unload your luggage and to find the nearest public parking. 2. No air-condition in the rooms.

Located near the city center.

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

• Suite

I took photos of the dust and the filthy showers, but won't post them unless I'm asked to. Alkmaar is great, and at 100 euros a night the standards would be tolerable. So Grand Hotel, get your act together

Alkmaar is a beautiful city with excellent attraction, brilliant bars and numerous canals running round and through the city. It's a bucket list place for the weekend. The Grand Hotel bills itself as a luxury boutique location.. At 600 euros for three days, the staff need to take some serious lessons in customer service and the housekeeping department needs some standards to keep to and a new management. Our room, billed as the best, was cleaned to shoulder height. As a tall room with exposed beams, the amount of dust at a high level caused my wife considerable discomfort. The shower was filthy, and oddly, all the windows except those in the toilet and sauna were well cleaned, but the others were filthy. Sad, for top dollar and raised expectations, the cabin on our Stena line ferry was so much cleaner, and the staff so much more welcoming.

• Deluxe Double Room

The location is perfect. Nice atmosphere

• Deluxe Double Room

Great location . The bar pub over the road has over 25 beers on tap some 12% . Very unique .

Difficult to reach by car and no car park

Free upgrade to room with sauna

Bathroom

Position, breakfast

The room was excellent

No car park at hotel

• Deluxe Double Room

Only two towels in the room, the coffee machine capsule was not right

friendly staff

The Restaurant was closed on an evening, not mentioned prior to booking on website.

Nothing in particular

Room and location

• Deluxe Double Room

Awesome hotel in awesome city

The bed is too soft....

Location in center, close to market and pubs. Interesting design in rooms...good for honey moon.

very noisy

The Location

• Deluxe Double Room

There was noisy building work going on first thing in the morning

Ideally situated. Easy to find. Lovely old building

• Executive Room

Great location and superb breakfast. Staff were friendly and our room was spacious and extremely comfortable.

Bathroom

Just ok hotek

Erratic Shower controls

Good selection

• Deluxe Double Room

We didn't realise hotel was so far from Amsterdam

Breakfast v good good selection

• Deluxe Double Room

Great, big rooms, friendly staff. Fantastic location right in the heart of Alkmaar. Would stay here again.

• Deluxe Double Room

The pillows were awful -cheap and uncomfortable. the toilet needed bleaching

Very good location - Generally very nice hotel

• Deluxe Double Room

Very convenient location in the city center.

• Deluxe Double Room

The bed was not very comfortable. Very soft but with a "hole"...

• Deluxe Double Room

Noisy bar outside on the street.

Breakfast was good! Staff were great- helpful and friendly.

• Deluxe Double Room

Nice,modern and clean hotel. Jacuzzi is a special treat after a cycling day. Amazing breakfast

• Executive Room

Bar area in need of a good clean. Dining room fine and good selection offered for breakfast.

Very good sized room with all facilities.

elevator

friendly staff, in central of city,

• Deluxe Double Room

The bathroom was the weak point. Not enough shelf space for toiletries and ours had a slight odour.

Friendly staff and central Alkmaar location.

• Deluxe Double Room

Nothing really comes to mind.

Right in the city centre. Big comfortable room. Excellent breakfast.

• Deluxe Double Room

The breakfast was rather simple; coffee was mediocre. The room was not equipmented with the tea&coffee table.

Very good localization.

• Deluxe Double Room

No tea making facilities in the room, only coffee.

Room was very comfy. With a nice big bath tub.

• Deluxe Double Room

extremely noisy street side rooms (to avoid!) poorly equiped bathroom

very friendly and helpful staff. Loved the town of Alkmaar would go back again.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Top kamer gratis upgrade.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017