Reviews of Grand Hotel Amstelveen 4 stars

Bovenkerkerweg 81, 1187 XC Amstelveen, Netherlands

#2 of 13 hotels in Amstelveen

Rooms were large, clean, and comfortable. It was about 15 minutes from the airport and staff was friendly and helpful. We could rent bikes and breakfast was amazing!

Location - in the middle of nowhere. More a 3* rather than a 4* hotel. Breakfast - average. Too expensive. I requested in advance a quiet room, upper floor, but no such room was available.

Clean.

OH !! We are an Iranian Couple and we drink tea for five, may be six times in day. it is popular in IRAN. fortunately the rooms instrumented to a Kettle and some tea and sugar. But it was enough only for making a small glass of tea. when I asked reception for some sugar more I got a terrible respond: oh Again?! what do you consume so many sugar!! In my opinion It was crazy, and absolutely not acceptable. any way they could charge me for each extra tea and sugar and inform me in a kindly manner.

I liked a nice and quite place. excellent cleanliness.

No slippers in the room, no drinking water in the room. Same meals for breakfast every morning. The road is too close - extra noise in the morning. Pillows are definitely not the best choice for sleeping sidewise. Overpriced - IMHO.

A large room with a large bath and a shower cabin. The fridge is handy. Plenty of shelfs for clothes and other stuff. A large and confortable bed. Placating landscapes nearby.

Would like airport pick-up and drop facilities.

Big rooms and I stayed several times in this hotel and once in a room with my own little small roof top terrace with table and chairs. Staff is very friendly and helpful.

Would like that this hotel extends its airport pickup service to private persons as now the hotel only provides this service to a few companies.

Staff is very friendly and helpful, rooms very big and clean and breakfast is great.

This property is further out than I believed it to be. We had to walk about 10 minutes to get a metro into centre centre, which took about 45 minutes. Although there is a shuttle bus for the property, for some reason, it does not connect with the airport. We also tried to access the hotel bar on occasion, for some social interaction but every time we went it was in darkness. I have stayed in Amsterdam before several times and this is my first negative experience. I have also stayed out of the city centre before so this wasn’t the issue. It cost us 40 Euro for a taxi from the airport but we went to central station on our last day and got a train straight there for 5.50 each. We had to travel into the city centre every day as we felt the hotel was quite lifeless and isolating. I do question why there is a shuttle and who it is for, certainly not for travellers connecting to the airport, like other other hotels in Amsterdam.

Clean, spacious room. Friendly staff.

Pregnant. Receptionist rude and is more interested in private calls while I was waiting for attendance. Lots of little things in the room were not working like curtains lights fridge etc it was attended too but annoying.hotel has great potential but lacks management and supervisory direction. It will however not stop us to return again. Guest supplies like coffe milk in fridge was also not supplied during the entire 4 days stay we had.

Nice hotel but needs management direction lots of little annoying things occur la is training and customer friendly nous

Could not fully control the temperature in the room (19° A/C too cold for me). Had to walk to the restaurant... not as convenient as an internal restaurant, but very good quality. public transport not in walking distance.

The room was great: very spacious, clean, natural light. I also liked the breakfast buffet very much. The staff was quite helpful and was able to use the hotel shuttle to reach the metro station.

There was no water in the room

Our stay was so fantastic. Super quite and relaxing. beds extra comfy and everything super clean! Breakfast was so good and staff at the buffet were super friendly. The hotel pleasantly surprised me with double bed upon my request. I am definitely coming back.

The hotel is great, when you are travelling to Amsterdam by car. Everything was nice, the room is big and clean, as well as the bathroom. Staff is friendly and helpful and the breakfast was superb.

A bit more choice of evening meal without having to go to 'the recommended bistro' round the corner.

The breakfast was very good with so many choices

Staff at front desk was nice and helpfull. Staff at breakfwast was gossiping about us because we took 1 mini muffin for our way back home in the car: "Are they going to take that muffin on their table with them? I don't know, what do you think? Maybe?". That was kind of rude.

There were amazing reviews about the breakfast. So our expectations were high. Unfortunately not as fantastic as we expected. We don't like egg, but they were making fresh omelets with toppings by choice. It was all OK. It is a 10 minute walk to the tram for Amsterdam. You can also park your car at Amsterdam RAI and then use public transport. Parking costs 1 euro and public transport costs 2 or 3 euro. Room big and clean.

Don't seem to find any business close by. Honestly, we didn't have too much chance to explore either as we got in past 9pm and needed to leave for an 11am flight next morning.

The property is nice, clean, roomy, and very comfortable. Although, location seems to be a bit far away from central town. Breakfast was great . Staffs were wonderful. Although, we got in quite late and almost miss the chance to have dinner as the on site restaurant decided to close early due to lack of business. Thankfully, they allowed us to stay and dine with the only two options of daily special menu selections.

Limited access to the amsterdam central. Bus stop for #174 is in front of the hotel, but it’s not stop at amsterdam central

The room is big. My friend and me brought 2 big baggage.

This is not a hotel for people who want to be in the heart of Amsterdam, because it is in Amstelveen and not Amsterdam. I am not sure how close public transport is, but if you have your own transport and you are looking for accommodation close to the airport in a quiet area, it is perfect. Breakfast is included, however, we had to leave before breakfast but were allowed "take aways" and staff were very helpful. Dinner is offered at the Bistro close to the hotel, but was a bit too expensive for our budget. There are no other "affordable" restaurants in the area (paying with South African Rand prices in Euro are x15!) Therefore we ordered online delivery from Pizza Pronto Italia which was very good value for money and delivered at our room within 30 minutes after ordering.

The hotel is 15 minutes drive by car from the airport in a quiet area. The rooms are very spacious and the staff were extremely helpful and professional. The hotel is modern and light. There is lots of free parking space at the hotel.

There should be an airport shuttle for private persons also. At the moment there is only an airport shuttle for firms which have an agreement with the hotel. Taxis are very expensive.

Room is very big bathroom fantastic and very beautiful environment and good breakfast and very nice staff

The door to the toilet was a little bit hard to close, you needed to use force, it made noise and woke people up. The breakfast was OK but the buffet area was a bit small and crowded and the orange juice tasted a bit watered down.

The hotel does have its own free large parking lot so there are no problems with parking your car. The gentleman at the reception was very kind, friendly and professional. Each of the junior suites has its own theme with a large image above the bed. We requested the one with the cows grazing and the hotel was kind enough to assign that suite to us. Other rooms feature images based on other themes, such as Shanghai, etc. The room itself was quite large, had adjustable color mood lighting behind the bed (around the large image), a table with two chairs and a minibar. The bathroom and the toilet were separate so one person can take a shower while the other one can use the toilet. Actually, there is both a bath and a shower, so two people can take a bath / shower at the same time, if you are so inclined. There are also two sinks in the bathroom. On the way to the breakfast we were greeted by the easter bunny who gave us some chocolate eggs, a really sweet touch.

No dining facilities on site in the evening

Comfortable rooms with good facilities, no dining facilities other than the bar available in the hotel. Good bistro a short walk away. Hotel is located out of town so car or public transport needed to get about. Good breakfast service in the morning and cheerful,helpful staff throughout the hotel.

The gentleman at the front desk, Breunes, was exceptional! Went out of his way to help us. During the night my partner had a horrific nosebleed and in the morning the woman at the front desk was also very helpful. Giving me more tissue boxes etc. I know they must have thought a murder had occurred in the room when we checked out. I tried to clean it up as best I could without a mop- but it was BAD! Just a wonderful hotel.

Door can't be locked from the inside. Plastic mattress protector which made the bed uncomfortable and sweaty.

Room size. Airconditioning. They offered a breakfast pack when I couldn't make the breakfast buffet. Clean and quiet room. Free parking.

Longer distance from Amsterdam than expected.This should be made clearer in hotel advertising.

Large rooms with ample facilities.Large breakfast included in price.Outside of Amsterdam but two good restaurants next to hotel.Good relaxing transition between our travels across Europe and our Tulip Time River Cruise through Holland.Longer

Nothing in particular.

Good hotel, value for money. I would not go here for pleasure to be honest. To far out from the city centre of Amsterdam. The hotel itself is perfectly fine. Very nice breakfast, fresh food. I liked the service.

public transport from airport to hotel;from hotel to city centre and back. take's long time.no market in 1km. .if you use public transport need day tickets.if you come by air better to get from airport red day ticket..single bus ride about 6 euro.

nice big room.good breakfast.clean and good quality hotel

Hotel food was average but expensive, however there were no other options to eat locally. I was given a room in the same corridor as a large school party that shouted & ran up and down outside my room until 2am. This hotel felt more like a youth hostel. I asked for bottled water and was told I could drink the tap water. The hotel shuttle was not recommended as it 'stops at every other hotel' so I ended up paying 35 euros for a taxi to the airport.

There was no restaurant at the facility

It was very clean, there was a good amount of parking spots and the stuff was very helpful and kind! The metro station that takes you to the centre of the city is just a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

Response of breakdast would be necessary to improve. The order was not taken. There are less foods..

Survice at reception desk would be so kind and perfect.

Far away from anything. 10 min walk to closest metro station. 15 min walk from closest grocery stores

Great breakfast, very large comfortable room, clean

It is a long walk to Metro station if lugging suitcases though plenty of parking if you have a car. No shuttle service. Not anything else in the area except industry.

The room and bathroom were very spacious and clean. Our room had a balcony. Temperature in the room was comfortable. It was great that were able to wash and dry our clothes. The breakfast was more than adequate. We were able to get a reasonably priced meal at the bowling alley.

The first room I stayed in was extremely noisy. Luckily the staff was willing to change rooms and the next room was perfect. The location of the hotel isn't the best either but not too bad.

Staff was excellent, breakfast was superb and fitness room was nice!

It is really far from Amsterdam city-centre, if this is the purpose of ones trip. A journy by public transport includes 10 minutes walking and takes at least 45 minutes. Breakfast rather dull.

Reasonably priced hotel. Clean. My room was spatious and bright. Very nice and helpful staff at the reception desk. There is a parking lot next to the hotel.

The hotel is good, located outside the city centre of Amstelveen. This might not be convenient if you don't have a car, but there is a pub inside the hotel and a bistro just outside. They have shuttle buses for the airport and are well organised. Breakfast very good, room spacious and clean. Staff very helpful.

Excellent breakfast with a wide choice of products. Fitness center is small but it's enough to evacuate the stress of a working day. Wide, quiet and comfortable room.

The heating in my room was not that strong for my liking (me coming from a tropical climate country not used to -3 degrees celcius temparature).

Excellent hotel, value for money. Room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Stayed here for 5 nights in March 2018 and had a great time using this hotel as my base for discovering Amsterdam. Check in was smooth and so was check out. With the IAmsterdam card, it was easy to get to central Amsterdam using the Metro 51 line (from the Spinnerij station, which was located about 1km from the hotel). With the Amsterdam & Regional Tickets, I was able to reduce my walking distance since the ticket can also be used on non GVB buses. There is a bus station in front of the hotel, operated by Connexxion, that will take one to the Brink Metro station about two stops away. In my case, I used the IAmsterdam card for the first 3 days and the Amsterdam & Regional ticket for the following 2 days to enable me to go to Zaans Schans and Keukenhoff. In addition to the Metros, Buses and Trams, I also utilized Uber when necessary especially when it was very cold during one or two nights I was there. The room came with breakfast and it was very good. Really enjoyed my stay here.

No hand washing facilities in the washroom so you had to go to the bathroom for that . Not a big deal, but that ‘s the only thing I can think of.

Great breakfast and comfortable bed

Wifi was not working in my room, reception promised to have the company that ran it investigate but that would be next day. They did reset the router outside the room but still not working. Luckily for me I didn't need it too much that evening.

Nice large rooms, very clean. Huge amount of storage room and a BIG room. Business area to work with PC. Very enjoyable stay.

It cost about 40 euros each way by taxi to the airport. Probably should have booked Sheraton or something located at the airport with a free shuttle.

This hotel is really fine with nice spacious rooms and huge bathroom. I booked it to be near the airport and the price was great.

The room had old dusty carpet in it, which triggered my allergies. Usually this kind of room has 2 queen beds instead of tiny one person beds. The bed was too hard for me. Little breads at breakfast (at 7:30, it opens at 7:00) were not crispy, more like they were from the day before. Cheese slices had dry edges which suggests it was also left to the air from the day before. The real restaurant is ‘across the parking lot’ which is weird for a 4 star hotel.

There is free parking. It isn’t expensive. Not bad, but not up to the 4 star standard they claim.

Information on how to reach the hotel on public transport. Bus routes and times have been changed recently in Amstelveen and locals aren't all aware of the changes. Bus 199 runs direct from Schiphol airport to Sacharovlaan (a few minutes from the hotel) but now NOT on Sundays and public holidays. Couple of minor electrical problems in our room (lights not properly connected, mini-safe not working, difficult to control the heating) need fixing in room 5. I'm sure this is NOT typical of other rooms as they seem well organised.

Location (I was visiting the business park one block away, and on foot). Spacious rooms. Friendly staff, especially the bartender (five star service and we spent more at the bar than we intended, thanks to his very friendly and interesting conversation!)

Lighting can be better- as its super dim making me sleep most of the time, but quite difficult for me to see when i need to my luggage packing.If u were to get through Amsterdam cities- the parking is super difficult to get, you got to have a credit card with pin number but that doesnt mean it may go through transaction, forget also about the popular botanical garden- its close as the flowers were not blooming yet (that's my fault cause i did not do much howework). However, the people in amsterdam are friendly and awesome.

Breakfast was great, It would be great if the scrambled eggs is serve in buffet type like other hotels in order to decrease the waiting time for the lady to cook for us. Check in was fast. Near to airport- 15 minutes drive. I love that my room is in ground level. I love the ambiance in my room and i totally knocked out sleeping as the bed was super comfy for the price i got. There is a bowling alley and McDonald nearby - easy if u drive.

I travel to Amsterdam on a regular basis, pretty unsure if I will use this facility ever again. Waking up to the sound of heavy duty construction is unpleasant. As the hotel was virtually empty, and many rooms were available front of house (i.e. away from the noise) - I do not understand why the hotel did not offer an alternative. Can we expect a more proactive attitude, from a four star hotel?

Clean & spacy room - great breakfast, eggs and bacon freshly made to order

- Hotel located in a "dead" zone without restaurants around

- Accesibility - Free parking - Room size - Top breakfast - Efficiency and kindliness of staff

The beds are fine (after we pushed them next to eachother). Wifi is ok. Nice bar. Most of the staff was fine end helpful (except for one man who spoke a bit too loud with other staff about us). The room was nice. Kettle and tea in the room. Breakfast was fine, but a bit limited for a vegetarian (no fresh fruit, no peanut butter, nothing else interesting but cheese and eggs).

The smell of bleach was very strong. I do not think they have a pool, so I’m not sure why it was so strong.

The shower was hot, the water pressure was even better. The people were so friendly!

Nothing really

The double room that we had was nice and clean. Quite spacious too. Comfortable bed. Decent tea coffee arrangement in the room. Ample storage space and adequate size of fridge. Breakfast was included in our rate and it was a nice spread, including the option of eggs to order. Location appropriate too. We availed both metro as well as bus for connectivity with Amsterdam and both are conveniently located from the hotel - metro is relatively further away but easily walkable in 10 minutes. All in all, memorable stay - will go back to this place, when planning next trip

Room was absolutely NOT soundproof. Could hear my neighbors conversation. Lots of noise in the middle of the night, which woke me up.

Room looks nice. Separate shower area, so for once not in a bathtub.

The restaurant is in a separate building and its staff was awful; sullen and more interested in laying clean tables than in the diners present. Food was presented well, but was tasteless and portions small. We were charged full price even though we made it clear while ordering that we wanted to use the hotel's 50% off voucher. There were dead flies in the lamp above our table.

The room was immaculate, spacious and had a large balcony, the bed was wonderfully big and comfy. Bathroom even features a bath and the toilet is separate. The curtains were excellent, completely blocking all daylight. Staff was welcoming, friendly and helpful. Parking is ample and free of charge. Eggs at breakfast are cooked to order.

If you stay there, ideal option to go to AMS - P+R at RAI center and leave your car there. Price: Park before 10:00 - 8 euro per 24 hours, park after 10:00 - 1 euro for 24 hours. Plus 5 euro for 2 return tickets for public transport to city. You can chose other P+R options, but this one is nearly 100% available. Others can be full

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

-I arrived at the hotel during the night and left in the morning, but I felt that it was in the middle of nowhere in a rather industrial area and that there was nothing much to see nearby the hotel (however, I might be mistaken because I did not have time to explore) - for the price range of this hotel I would have expected a better breakfast (better quality and more options as everything was very standard)

-Due to the snowstorm many flights were cancelled and there were fairly a lot of people staying at the hotel. The staff was very helpful and did all they could, e.g. by preparing something to eat late in the evening. The next day they were also very helpful as they explained that the timetable for the public transportation had changed and showed us the updated route of the bus and the schedule. -The room was spotless, very comfortable bed! -The Wifi was good too, very stable. -Taxi to the airport takes around 20 min and costs approx. EUR 35

Fridge in the room was empty. Some snacks/water/softdrinks being available in the room would be nice, you have to go downstairs to the machine but need coins for that.

Spacious rooms and very good wifi inclusive. Cosey but very good bar/restaurant. Nice breakfast

For short-term stay-overs, Its distance from central Amsterdam is somewhat inconvenient if you want to slot in a little sightseeing and souvenir hunting (80-90 minutes travel time). This inconvenience is offset for those with early morning flights (close proximity to Amsterdam-Schipol Airport).

Good clean, spacious rooms with all facilities onsite or immediately close-by. Friendly, helpful staff. It's an older hotel but very well maintained - the exterior understates the interior. Easy access public transport (20 minute bus ride to Schipol Airport; 40-45 minutes team or bus to Amsterdam Centraal). Excellent value and an enjoyable stay.

The hotel was a ways outside of the main city, but on the other hand it was nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of things.

The staff were very kind and knowledgeable about the city, and willing to help with any/all questions I had. The breakfast was great, and the entire place was very clean.

Proper cups could have been provided for the tea and coffee rather than paper cups. Luckily we brought our own. Biscuits would have been nice!

The bed was big and comfortable and the room was a good size.

I was a bit tired and wanted to rest a bit after I checked in .That was easier said than done .There was some construction going on in the back !!

I had no complaints whatsoever re the property itself and the service from the staff. The breakfast was excellent and we all liked the hotel

Nice and comfortable room, excellent breakfast, helpful staff, easy to get to the airport just by bus 199, easy to get to the center of Amsterdam just by metro (though it takes 50-60 min)

Hotel bar was small and some drinks were not available.

Staff so helpful and friendly. Bus stop right outside the hotel and metro only 10 mins away. Breakfast was nice and a good range to choose from. Bed was very comfy and room was big.

The restaurant staff barely wants to work I reckon. Even we were 4 people on the very close table to the counter. The waitress was not convinced that when I asked for omlette for 4 people while I was pointing my friends. And had a full face of ignorance. At the same time she was super lovely to serve bacon to the guests who even did not ask for bacon. Probably she did not like me because I did not ask for any bacon.

Receptionists are so lovely.

It is a little far from Amsterdam but there is a frequent train and a bus nearby the hotel.

It was a lovely experience and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who would be interested in visiting Amsterdam. It was a beautiful room, clean with helpful and polite staff. One of the highlights was the breakfast which was rich and delicious! Thank you!

For me it was fine but when I had breakfast there was only one girl running the place including making wonderful omelettes. She could use some assistance. Not that she wasn't able to do it by herself. Just to make her life a little easier.

Rooms are spacious and clean.

I used the courtesy bus however not informed in advance there was a charge for this. Previous hotels I have stayed have the courtesy bus free of charge for small distances.

Service and breakfast was great. Room was very spacious and comfortable

Everything else looks good but cleanliness is not good. Only 1 towl per hole stay of 6 nights too! Hit us with extra charges at hotel too and bugs everywhere in room.

The reception

I was in room 15. It is next to the fitness centre. At 06:30am one of the guests decided to go for a run on the treadmill. It woke me up and I couldn't get to sleep as there was no sound proofing between this room and the fitness centre. Constant banging sounds for about 40 minutes, it was like trying to sleep next to the treadmill!

The staff were really friendly and helpful

Location is far away from everything, i mean shops etc.... You need to drive there

Clean and comfortable lovely hotel, very helpful staff, nice breakfast - not much choice but i think is enough:)

It's quite far from Amsterdam city. It takes almost 1hour...

It was very peaceful and clean. The staff is very very cool they helped me with sightseeing Amsterdam and suggested about everything for almost an hour... also bus stop is right outside and one direct bus 199 from airport so very easy access from and to airport

Leakage from the balcony to the floor. We needed cleaning of the floor in the middle of the night after rainfall

Not to far from Amsterdam. No noise. Easy parking. Good bed

I had problems in the airport with the airport shuttle. The lady at the "Connexxion" desk said there are no shuttle buses to Amstelveen, but just to the center of Amsterdam. I proceeded to the airport information center, where I was assured that there is a shuttle bus available, so, I proceeded back to the "Connexxion" desk, where I was again told that there isn't. But then finally they called somewhere and said, there will be shuttle bus which will take me to the hotel. It was confusing, and stressful.

All was good.

On the map the subway station appears to be close. However, no properly paved pedestrian road leads to it. The hotel has some shuttle services, but information is available only at the reception and needs advnaced booking. During the night someone called our room, although we did not order anything. Very inconvenient.

The staff was very proffesional. They are very flexibly, managed profesionally our day ahead arrival and we could stay in the same room, despite two bookings during the entire week.

Pity, you can hear the people walking in the upper room....like elephants!

Very friendly & kind staffs at the front desk.  Quiet, green and clean surroundings, nice breakfast.

In a quiet area, with outstanding spacious and clean rooms with new furniture, and wonderful breakfast, the price more than worth, especially the parking. Clara cheese factory very close, as well as Stadshart shopping center is few kms. The neighbourhoods around are wonderful. Amsterdam is not far, you can park and ride using P+R parking at many stations. Last day I was given a honey with cinnamon for the Autumn starts, thanks.

The area around the hotel is mostly industri, offices and big roads There was a door from my room to the next room. My neighbour tried to open it in the middle of the night which was very scary The view from my room was a field with mud

The room was very big The breakfast was nice with a great selection The Cable television, it has lots of channels The big bath tub The wifi Everything was very clean

check out time is at 11. And the cleaners knock on the door to tell me that it is time to leave. This was bit annoying.

Cleaning of rooms was super fast

had to wait a long time at the bar, we weren`t the only ones frustrated with this

helpful receptionist, rooms large and clean, bar area small but ok, breakfast good with a lady cooking omelettes too

The breakfast room was noisey with sports teams, the lady cooking the eggs seemed rushed but nothing really☺

The rooms were very spacious, quiet and comfortable which is what we needed after travelling around Europe for 6 weeks. Transport bus & train services into Amsterdam was easy to use-very good!

Hairdryer hose in bathroom is rubbish. Would have liked China mugs instead of paper cups with tea and coffee making in room but other than that perfect!

Rooms large, nice to have bath and shower. Beds enormous and comfy. Lovely room terrace 307 and 308. Immacutely clean. Great bike hire.

Good location for getting to the airport. Free parking. The room was very spacious and comfortable. Fantastic shower. Hotel staff extremely friendly and helpful. Breakfast was average, but the coffee was excellent.

Browse Grand Hotel Amstelveen traveller photo gallery