Reviews of Golden Tulip Leiden Centre 4 stars

Schipholweg 3, 2316 XB Leiden, Netherlands

#5 of 17 hotels in Leiden

• Comfort Double Room

The staff was professional and friendly. The breakfast buffet was excellent. The hotel's proximity to the city marketplace with many restaurant choices and just a nice area to walk and sightsee was great.

• Comfort Double Room

I cannot praise this hotel too highly. We arrived tired at 09.00 and they let us have a room immediately. Breakfast is served till 11.30. The location is perfect for seeing Leiden and the staff could not be nicer. It may not be cheap but you get what you pay for - and it sonly 15 mins from Schipol Airport and 40 from Amsterdam

• Executive Double Room

3 star level at best: small rooms (never got the large bed as per booking!), lack of amenities and towels (!), unfriendly staff, not so clean rooms, noisy, empty minibar (they ask you to buy stuff from the reception!) poor breakfast (coffee machine serviced slowly; got food taken away before finishing!), slow internet, hard to get a taxi. Really ruins the stay at the charming town of Leiden. Better go to Ibis - at least you get what you pay for.

Close to train station, old town, LUMC, etc.

• Comfort Double Room

A bit noisy in the front of the building all night, but caused us no problems

Friendly and helpful staff who went out of their way to speak English to us

• Comfort Double Room

The breakfast was a little disappointing, with the "hot" food being rather cold. We did not eat in the restaurant so cannot comment on that, but the selection of food was not to our taste.

Very convenient location, with a quiet and comfortable room. Room was well equipped and the staff were very helpful.

• Comfort Double Room

Shower cubicle and toilet cubicle have translucent and transparent glass sections. It would be better if they were more "private"

Friendly and helpful staff. Excellent location close to train station. Option to print boarding pass and internet access

• Comfort Double Room

The weather wasn’t very good, and the main reason for going, was to see the Tulips at keukenhof and a lot of them were not out as the weather had been so cold.

The food in the restaurant was extremely good, but a little limited if you are staying more than a couple of nights. We went to Leiden as it was easy to get to Keukenhof. The hotel was very near the station which was great as we were able to walk there. Leiden was a very interesting place to visit and we did a canal trip which was very enjoyable, even when the roof of the boat had to be lowered to get under the bridges!

• Comfort Double Room

The lift was out of order so stairs were used which wasn’t easy and I wasn’t informed beforehand. Being registered disabled this caused me some personal difficulties and discomfort.

Good location and hotel layout. Great breakfast and comfortable room.

• Executive Double Room

The weather could have been warmer🙃

Lean, comfortable, and spacious with a perfect location next to the train station and an easy walk to the shops and restaurants in Leiden.

• Comfort Double Room

Room was not sound proof, could hear slamming doors all night long and neighbors talking. Bathroom is not separated form the room by door, therefore I had to keep the window open to get rid of the steam after the shower.

Location was great to me. Great shower!

• Comfort Double Room

Reception rules : NO smile and rude! check-in already problems asked my credit card in complicated, the reception want to justify over my Amex, although I gave my passport already, what is the point to copy my passport instead ??!! very amateur! She gave only one card for the room, after check-in I asked second card for my partner, No suprised the card to the room didn't work and she blamed me instead the card didn't work with bad attitude. I asked the second time and it didn't work AGAIN! I didn't ask again, I am done! The room smelly from the shower, the pictures in website NOT the same with the reality, The room very old interior. Everything interior inside super old and looks dirty, don't stay in here. Stay away from this hotel please. It's not worth it! IBIS hotel in front of central station leiden, much nicer!!

Parking indoor only.

• Comfort Double Room

The first night the room smelled a bit of tobacco smoke, as if it came through the ventilation system of another room where smoking was allowed. I also didn’t like that we only got 1 satchet of normal coffee and the rest were decaff.

The bed was big and comfortable

• Comfort Double Room

It is a basic property: describing it as 4-star is profoundly misleading -- terribly overprised for what it is. Truly Ibis-like.

The hotel is very close to the station, which is really comfortable.

• Comfort Double Room

Cold flooring so room slippers would be good. A kettle for hot water would be great.

Good bathroom facilities. Good spread for breakfast in a nice restaurant. New, modern and fresh ambiance in the room

• Executive Double Room

Housekeeping just barging into your room while there is a DO NOT DISTURB sign on your door and you're naked in the room, without even knocking or saying anything or announcing their presence. Booh.

Great location, very friendly staff!

• Comfort Double Room

A long and convoluted walk to the room. The difference between Golden Tulip and Tulip Inn is vague (I suppose not in the rooms, but otherwise it is unclear).

• Comfort Double Room

The only thing I did not like was the fact that there was no door in the bathroom, but not only that - part of the wall between the bathroom and the bedroom was transparent. It's not a problem for solo travellers or for married couples, but can be a problem if you share the room with somebody you don't want to be seen naked in front of.

The bed was very comfortable, the room very large and beautifully decorated, excellent water pressure in the shower. I arrived early in the morning and received my room immidiately, althought the official check-in time is 15:00. Everything was spotlessly clean and looked fancy. It was a pleasure to spend my Birthday in such a lovely hotel!

• Comfort Double Room

While I was checking out I overheard another guest (who was checking in) that he wanted free breakfast and it was offered to him. Although that was good customer service but I don't like the fact that I have to ask for such things, it's not fair and I would expect professional and equal treatment for all guests (he was not a regular). My booking notes specifically said that €50 will be held as insurance but I was preauthorized the whole cost of the stay + €88 euros as insurance. I have no issues with that but you need to inform me before taking such actions

Rooms were spacious Clean room and bathroom Good internet Excellent Location (right next to Leiden Centraal station)

• Comfort Double Room

There could have orthopedic mattress option.

The hotel is very well located, near Leiden central station. Please note that the region is very neat and close to the main streets of Leiden. Staff is helpful. The variety of options in the breakfast allows having a different and satisfying breakfast every day.

• Comfort Double Room

Rather noisy main road outside (need to keep window firmly shut). Quite expensive for room and breakfast.

Comfortable rooms. Big breakfast choice. Helpful staff. Nice facilities (bar lounge etc)

• Comfort Double Room

Clean, well run hotel in an excellent location near the station and Leiden center. Room was quiet & comfortable, if somewhat on the tight side. Breakfast was fully satisfactory but during busy periods, staff were slow to replenish shortages. The cuisine in the restaurant was excellent.

• Comfort Double Room

My room was at the front of the hotel beside a busy road which was a bit noisy.

Wide choice at breakfast, comfy beds, friendly helpful staff, good location.

• Comfort Double Room

Perfect location for a quick bus ride/commute to ESTEC. Just walk out to central station, pick up the #30 bus and they will drop you at the entry gate.

• Comfort Double Room

There was a bit of confusion over what I was being charged, but the staff help clarify this.

The room and facilities were excellent. Location is near the station. Staff were very helpful.

• Comfort Double Room

That we were on a short break and had to leave. Would prefer a room with a bath

Good and modern facilities in room. Welcoming, warm and professional staff. Ease of travelling to property. Location. Good breakfast. Helpful advice. Nice restaurant and bar area.

• Comfort Double Room

The night manager was not accommodating. I had to book online when I called the hotel directly.

The closeness to the train, restaurants and stores. The rooms were clean, cozy and comfortable. The day staff was helpful.

• Comfort Double Room

Everything perfect - it is our second trip here

Staff were very attentive. Room was spotless and very comfortable. We ate in the restaurant and it was fantastic. We loved having a drink in the bar - lovely environment.

• Comfort Double Room

That the hotel took £299 as a holding fee and didn't tell me about the mistake also this froze my bank account so I wasn't able to draw money out! We wasn't offered any compensation what so ever not even a breakfast. No manager was on site. A piss poor service if you ask me! Also chose this place for my birthday!

I like jes the bed as it was big as well as comfortable

• Comfort Double Room

Very close to the center (only 5min) and only 2 min from the station. Very friendly staff. (Maybe just a little idea: a hook to put up the little towels would've been nice, but this is just minor.)

• Comfort Double Room

No bad experiences, the elevator is a bit slow, just to mention something. Not a top hotel, but you get what you expect and pay for.

Good location, close to train station and city center, reasonable, clean rooms.

• Comfort Double Room

Our first room has a very weird sound that come from the pipe, after changing the room, the facilities are quite poor Also, they have cheaper room in presence than in Booking.com:/

The staff is friendly, the bed is comfortable

• Comfort Double Room

Breakfast is a bit expensive but food's quality is extremely good.

Very convenient location. Rooms are spacious and extremely clean. Large double bed and all facilities are excellent! Rubens restaurant serves superb food- highly recommended! The hotel has all you need and more.

• Comfort Double Room

A few of the restaurant staff were the only downside. I had to ask for attention on several occasions during dinner and the breakfast staff were unfriendly.

Food was delicious, very accommodating for my son. The reception and bar staff were fantastic. Excellent location. Would definitely return.

• Comfort Double Room

Staff was not friendly from the reception to the restaurant during breakfast, decoration is out-dated, breakfast could be better. This is not a hotel that I would recommend to a friend!

Location was great, near the city center and train station!

• Comfort Double Room

Nothing reall, everything was ok for a short work trip.

I missed my flight and had to cancel my first night. Wendy was quick and super helpful. Overall, the staff was brilliant.

• Executive Double Room

More information could be given on accessing car parks for a visitor driving in as GPS won't do this,also if you can drive directly into carparks before check in

Nothing to dislike

Excellent location a stones throw from Leiden Central station and a short walk into Leiden centre. Modern hotel with spacious and well equipped rooms. Super buffet breakfast.

• Comfort Double Room

Great location, friendly check in even though dealing with several people. Given free upgrade to larger room as hotel busy with coach tour. Room lovely, clean, spacious, bed really comfortable. Room overlooking road but not too noisy, they provide earplugs but we didn't need them. Maybe traffic noise worse at some times of year. Breakfast was really good (included in our room rate) Although very busy everything was kept filled up. Good choice of hot and cold and variety of drinks available. All staff were helpful and smiley. Would recommend highly and will return.

• Comfort Double Room

We had water leaking in our room the first night. And you didn't do anything for me. We did not sleep well the first night because of the leaking.

• Comfort Double Room

Perfect location for business in Leiden and close to lovely parks and plazas towards the center. Clean, friendly, nice bar and service. Will become my default for business in Leiden.

• Comfort Double Room

Just the treatment the first night when we arrived. Rude tone and welcome. Mistake about the breakfast. The guy said was not included while it was. I had to come down with my laptop to show the reservation, and only after that admit that actually did not check on my reservation but only take a fast view of the daily rate, and in that price usually breakfast is not included. Not professional at all, especially for a 4-stars hotel. The rest of the personal was above the expectancy!!!

I really suggest your stay here because: The room is very big and comfortable! Breakfast incredible! very good! The location is incredible! Parking is 12.50 per night.

• Comfort Double Room

My sunglasses disappeared out of my room

My sun glasses disappeared out of my room. A very expensive Versace pair of sunglasses. When I was at the airport I realized it was not in the sunglasses pouch. So that made my trip one I would like to forget.

• Comfort Double Room

Too noisy. The room was facing the street. I had to use earplugs. Also, the bed was too soft (or maybe worn out).

Location, spacious and modern room, cleanless, service, WiFi, breakfast.

• Comfort Double Room

No complimentary water in room. No pool, no gym.

It is the standard that I have come to expect. Smart room with great staff and plenty of space. Compute facility to check-in for flight.

• Comfort Double Room

the double bed though large and comfortable had a join between the two mattresses. The shower head was hard to arrange accurately, kept swivelling to the side

excellent centre of leiden location. Good breakfast at the weekend when the hotel was busy but slightly less choice during the week? Our very large room was comfortable but a little dated.

• Comfort Double Room

I did not like that making my reservation through booking.com was about 30 euros per day more expensive than through the hotel's own website.. felt a bit like a ripoff.

very clean, quiet,close to the trains and the centre

• Comfort Double Room

2 of our friends had a room at the front and had to shut the window at night because of the traffic up front.

The rooms including the bathroom and the beds were excellent. The rooms on the front are very noisy, however the rooms at the back of the hotel don't experience that noisiness. The breakfast is amazing. We enjoyed our short breakbreak and we will certainly come back heer.

• Comfort Double Room

The location is excellent. A short walk into Leiden itself and very close to the train station and bus station for trips to other centres. The breakfasts were excellent and set us up for the day.

• Comfort Double Room

No complaints at all! We would be very happy to return to this hotel at any time in the future and, indeed, hope to do so.

While the view was not panoramic, we had a corner room with large windows on two sides and a tranquil area to look out on. Room layout was excellent, including the bathroom. The public spaces were large, comfortable and user-friendly and the staff most attentive and obliging. The food in the restaurant (we had dinner on two evenings, snacks on one) was really excellent and very good value-for-money. Overall, we had a most enjoyable stay.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

• Comfort Double Room

Single beds pushed together are awful. Booking.com should include this as a feature that you can filter out (or at least know reliably in advance)

Well located hotel if you have business or pleasure in leiden

• Comfort Double Room

No real bad points. Free parking on the premises would have been nice. Breakfast looked expensive in terms of value for money so we didn't have it.

The room design was really nice. And the late checkout on Sunday (until 3pm) was a very welcome extra. Everything was clean and the shower is great as well.

• Executive Double Room

We booked double bed but got twin beds, staff said that no room with double bed was available, although we booked 3 months in advance and we requested a double bed.

Perfect Location, 2 minutes walk from Leiden Central Station.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Comfort Double Room

There were works next to the Leiden train station so it was a bit noisy (not a problem of the hotel, of course). In any case, I thought that the noise would be worse, it was reasonable. While the room is really modern, the bathroom may be a bit too open/exposed (glass window on toilet) for some.

Nice modern room, nice service. Somewhat comfortable bed. Great shower :) Reasonable sized room. Very well located for public transportation and visits to the city center.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Comfort Double Room

Can't think of anything negative

The breakfasts were very good. A relaxed atmosphere and smiling staff The dinners excellent. Very well presented

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Comfort Double Room

Breakfast very expensive and no continental option. Poor bar snack options. Hotel access difficult to find by car. If using satnav do not use zipcode/postcode. Enter Anthonyfokkerweg.

Comfortable and convenient

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

• Comfort Double Room

Very comfortable room with excellent facilities. The location is perfect for access to the railway and bus station and a short walk to Leiden centre and several good restaurants if you do not want to eat in the hotel restaurant.

• Comfort Double Room

Well situated close to railway station, but we did not suffer and road or rail noise. Excellent breakfast with everything you could want on offer. Easy parking facilities either outside at the rear or in a very close multi storey private secure car park. Very comfortable rooms. Short walk to centre of Leiden with lots of restaurants and bars. A lovely hotel in a lovely town.

• Comfort Double Room

Breakfast nót included is so stupid for this price (160 eur p/n) Not possible to turn off tv light sleep status & clock. i did order a double bed, not 2 beds pushed together. i hate that

• Executive Double Room

Limited dinner menu choice. Better to walk into central Leiden for dinner Room overlooking Schipolweg and hideous office block opposite. Only booked for 2 nights so not a problem.

Close proximity to Leiden Centraal Railway Station and bus station, just a couple minutes walk away. Easy walk to main shopping area and huge choice of restaurants. Good breakfast spread. Clean and comfortable room. Friendly staff both at reception and in the restaurant .

• Comfort Double Room

Breakfast too expensive at 16.50 euros. 15 min walk to Bakker Van Maanen at 10 euros all in, much better.

Lovely modern sunny room. Big bed. Lots of pillows. Great shower. Big opening windows. Quiet at rear of property. Kettle. Fridge. Easy walk around canals to shops and restaurants. 5 minute walk to central station for quick trip to Den Haag and Delft. Good little car park. Easy access drive to Keukenhof.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• Comfort Double Room

Not easy to find by car, but very close to main railway station and buses.

12.00 checkout. Forgot to take some clothing from the wardrobe, staff very helpful in locating and responding to our requests. Very good on-site restaurant.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

• Executive Double Room

Tv in room a little outdated.

Located close to main railway station and main shopping area. Choice of numerous restaurants, all within a few minutes walk. Friendly and helpful staff. Excellent breakfast selection.

• Comfort Double Room

Toilet. It resembles the one you find in the train stations. Since it is separated from the bathroom, little space in the toilet itself, with a minimalist design, exactly like a public WC.

Very close to the train station. The moment you exit the train station (the exit facing the bus stop with bus that goes to Keukenhof), you will see the building in the left hand side, opposite of the road. As someone else noted in the previous reviews: the bathroom does not have a door. Interestingly, the shower area also has a strip of transparent glass facing the bed, so that you can communicate from the shower with your partner while they are in the bed. Also carefully placed mirror faces the bathroom too, leaving very little room for privacy. If you and your partner are not in a romantic relationship or if you are not that comfortable with each other yet, probably this is not your place. (This may be only for the rooms with a double bed. Rooms with twin beds may be different). However, we find this cute. :) There is some noise from the highway in the day time. But it is not that bad. Very comfortable night sleep. Breakfast was ok. This is probably in the best location you can ask for in Leiden.

• Comfort Double Room

Room was not very quite for 3 nights. Also cleaning person left a used towel on the chair I didn't even use(somebody else's). :-(.I asked double bed when I booked the hotel but they gave me 2 single beds instead.

Nice location. Close from the airport and walking distance to the center of Leiden.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

• Comfort Double Room

There was a lot of people at the reception, both when check-in and check-out, and it really took a while because there are only 2 persons..

The room is really cosy, we had some coffee/tea to enjoy, and the TV had some English and even French channels.

• Executive Double Room

There was only one tea bag! We arrived late and as I am coeliac it was difficult to find much to eat.

The location is excellent for Schiphol and Leiden. The room was huge and had everything we needed.

• Comfort Double Room

We have been unpleasantly surprised by noise from construction work on the road directly in front of the hotel from six o´clock on Saturday and Sunday morning. I suppose that also normal traffic on the street is very disturbing. The friendliness and the smile on professional faces of staff is missing.

Hotel is close to the railway station with good connection to Den Haag, Amsterdam and Schiphool airport. Walking distance to the beautiful historic center of Leiden with plenty of bars, pubs and restaurants. The room is good like the room in four stars hotel should be.

• Comfort Double Room

The lift is a bit bumpy, and the breakfast was a bit too pricey.

It is within a walking distance from the train station. The room is very comfortable, and you have a water kettle to make a tea or coffee in the room.

• Comfort Double Room

the twin beds are put together as a double, but they keep having a bit of a gap between them which is not very comfortable

Nice and clean rooms, perfect location for exploring the city

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

• Comfort Double Room

the crib for the baby was not hard enough for babies who sleep on the belly... the mat was not adequate for small baby.

the breakfast was really nice, we liked the location and the check-out time :)

• Comfort Double Room

I have to remark that some furniture looked shabby. The couch was full of stains...

A good bed, a nice breakfast and a ice cube machine at some floors!

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Comfort Double Room

Staff during breakfast could have been more attentive, I felt they were a bit overloaded and not well coordinated.

Friendly staff at reception, room was clean, spacious and comfortable, good location next to the train station. About 15 mins walk to city center. Breakfast was reasonably priced with a nice variety and fresh juices.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

Nice location, just 5 minutes walk from the central station and easy access to the downtown. Fine breakfast in a cozy restaurant, also serves good dinner.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

• Comfort Double Room

Breakfast is a rip-off. Poor selection of everything, and not well cooked. Unbelievably expensive. Shower in room was set to highest temperature when we moved in. If we hadn't tested one of us would have been scalded. System for leaving luggage is not fully secure.

Great location near station, nice walk to town centre, and double glazing copes with traffic noise.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

• Comfort Double Room

Well, it is 2016, a 1080p had tv would have been appropriate. Would have like a bath, but rain shower was just fine.

Rooms were small, but provided with everything needed. Was provided a shaving kit from the hotel. Nice gesture. Flimsy (it broke halfway shaving), but polite and kind nonetheless Breakfast was as expected in a moderately priced hotel. Just fine. Staff was friendly overall. Beds were excellent. I especially liked the room I had where the window could be opened. I love to sleep in fresh air/cool.

Browse Golden Tulip Leiden Centre traveller photo gallery