Reviews of American Hotel Amsterdam This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Leidsekade 97, Amsterdam City Center, 1017 PN Amsterdam, Netherlands

#138 of 448 hotels in Amsterdam

• Reviewed: October 15, 2018

reasonably good value for money
    • Classic Double Room

The sauna area lacked privacy

location was pretty good. Staff were generally very helpful and friendly. The room was clean, comfortable and very well sized.

• Reviewed: October 14, 2018

Very average for the price
    • Deluxe Double Room

The cafe looked lovely, and the food and drinks were fine. The service however was truly dreadful. Not organised at all and we had to keep reminding them we had ordered, or asked for the bill. One morning I ordered a coffee 4 times before it was made, and then when it was, 4 staff stood around it chatting as it got cold. Eventually I went over and got it myself. Really poor. The hotel also has a recording studio, and as a musician I asked if I could have a quick look round. It was not the ‘no that is not policy’ that upset me, more the manner of the receptionist. Quite rude and arrogant. I just wanted a quick look. At this price, I’d expect excellence in every way.

Location superb. Bedroom was great, spacious and cool. Bar was one of the best hotel bars I’ve ever been in, laid back, funky and great, friendly bar folk. Drank there more than anywhere else which is very rare for me.

• Reviewed: October 14, 2018

Located next to a canal tour site which we used.
    • Classic Double Room

Elevator (lifts) are small, but so is most of Europes lifts. Was inadvertently checked out of room by staff after one night and was locked out of room so I had to go to desk to get rekeyed which was an inconvenience, but overall a very good experience.

Located next to a canal tour site which we used. Walking distance to museums, restaurants, bars and shops. We will return.

• Reviewed: October 14, 2018

An historic but cozy art deco hotel with quiet, comfortable, romantic rooms
    • Classic Double Room

The lobby was mundane with little or no casual seating. The shower was awkward and difficult to use.

The room was more interesting and comfortable than we had expected. Although it was quite modern, it had some old-fashioned elements like the bow window with drapes that gave a romantic view of the Singel gracht. The mood lighting was exceptional, including an illuminated poster of Janice Joplin. The art deco restaurant was magical and will stay in our memory for a long time. The staff was unusually friendly, efficient and helpful. Particularly liked the protocol that we were always seated at an excellent table given that we were guests in the hotel.

• Reviewed: October 14, 2018

Expected a bit more luxury for the price.
    • Classic Double Room

Ratio price and luxury. Room was comparable to a NH hotel.

Beds were comfortable, bathroom spacious, personnel friendly. Very nice cafe/restaurant. Close to Melkweg.

• Reviewed: October 13, 2018

Classy comfortable hotel
    • Classic Double Room

- breakfast too expensive - for some reason we could hear people in the hall talking very clearly from our room

- comfy bed - choice of different pillows - nespresso machine - black out curtains

• Reviewed: October 11, 2018

Overall nice but could do with a bit more attention to details for the price that you pay.
    • Classic Double Room

Bath had black marks in the bottom and the shower head would not stay in position so i had to hold it in place. TV was not hung on the wall where it should be.

The bed was comfy. Excellent view. Lots of space. Overall i enjoyed my stay.

• Reviewed: October 11, 2018

Historical hotel well placed
    • Classic Double Room

After staying for a few nights in charming boutique hotels in smaller cities like Giethoorn, Hoorn or even Utrecht, this hotel seemed too noisy as you can hear the trams from 5.00 in the morning. Also, part of the hotel was under heavy renovation and the noise from all the drills started at 7.30 AM

Great location just in the middle of everything, friendly staff, charming cafe

• Reviewed: October 10, 2018

Very comfortable stay exactly where we wanted to be and will definitely be going back
    • Classic Double Room

Our first room 109 was near a nightclub overlooking the bars etc and didn’t sleep much that night but it was quickly and professionally dealt with the following morning and was moved to room 210 which overlooked the canal that was much much quieter

Loved the shower room the beds were large and comfy and breakfast had everything you could possibly want in the mornings

• Reviewed: October 9, 2018

Perfect place to stay.
    • Classic Double Room

Nothing. We couldn't fault it. Just once it was difficult to get service in the bar.

We loved our beautiful room. The bed was really comfortable and the view over the canal was perfect. I would recommend the American hotel to anyone going to Amsterdam. Our friends staying elsewhere were envious!

• Reviewed: October 9, 2018

Hotel staff exceptionally helpful.
    • Classic Double Room

Personally I wasn't keen on the food options for vegetarians and think this could be improved

Hotel staff exceptionally helpful. Gorgeous cafe/restuarant. Huge comfortable bed

• Reviewed: October 8, 2018

Ordinary hotel that desperately needs a complete renovation of facilities and its staff.
    • Classic Double Room

Poor service, when we asked to stay an extra night the price doubled without being told. When we asked to explain the receptionist said we should have asked.

• Reviewed: October 8, 2018

Beautiful building in a fantastic location, within walking...
    • Classic Double Room

Beautiful building in a fantastic location, within walking distance of major attractions (district museum, centrum, vogelpark etc.). The hotel is near the main public transportation stops (tram and connection bus to the airport). Staff very friendly and professional. Good breakfast.

• Reviewed: October 8, 2018

Great location, staff and spacious room
    • Classic Double Room

Staff were all helpful and keen to ensure our comfort. Excellent location adjacent a tram stop and easy walk to Van Gogh museum and Rijsmuseum. Very spacious room

• Reviewed: October 7, 2018

Absolutely everything.
    • Classic Double Room

Can't think of a single think I didn't like. Everything about this hotel is spot on.

Absolutely everything. The decor is amazing. The staff is super friendly. The room is perfectly clean and looks great. And the food is great too

• Reviewed: October 4, 2018

Best place to stay in Amsterdam
    • Classic Double Room

Sorry, the place is perfect.

The art deco architecture and interior of the restaurant, bar is loved all over the Netherlands. Go for breakfast, lunch dinner in this beautiful historical perfectly maintained place.

• Reviewed: October 2, 2018

The bed was comfortable and good location
    • Classic Double Room

There was only a shower. They were working on our floor . The room was facing the street and it was very noisy you could here the traffic and the tram

The bed was comfortable and good location

Terrible 5 nights sleep
    • Classic Double Room

While our room was recently upgraded and was well done for a relatively small space the fact they put 2 of the world’s smallest single beds in it was not cool and terribly uncomfortable. The room should have been fitted with one double or queen bed - for the price we paid we should have had at least2 double beds in a slightly larger room. The first night things were very noisy into the wee hours of the AM from the Leidseplein. In addition the hotel could not even offer its quests the street discounts for tour tickets.Very disappointed stay after having stayed there many times in the past as a single business guest. Never again though - better values around Amsterdam. And the mattresses on the beds were cheap , not well positioned on the bed so by morning 1/3 of the mattress was hanging over the edge - had to be careful you did not fall on the floor getting up - really really bad.

Location and historical prestige and architecture design of building.

Very clean, comfortable.
    • Classic Double Room

Breakfast service slow. But that is typical of most restaurants in Europe. Not a big deal once you get used to it.

Very clean, comfortable. Location great.

• Reviewed: September 30, 2018

Special building in fantastic location.
    • Classic Double Room

I found 1 receptionist snooty towards me, I felt perhaps because I hadn’t worn the requisite amount of diamonds.

Beautiful & very special building in a fantastic location. I had room service breakfast which was delicious. The best salami I ever tasted & great value at €14.50. I payed €570 (non refundable) for 3 nights which I thought was ok value in such a wonderful location close to main museums, theatres, Nine Streets shopping area & Vondelpark.

• Reviewed: September 29, 2018

Wonderful. The restaurant has a very fine cuisine.
    • Classic Double Room

In the room we were in The lighting was minimal, and we felt it could have an added light as the paint colour is dark. Also an extra couple of large towels.

We came froma cruise and were greeted by a Very friendly and accomodating receptionist. He made a room available to us at 9 am, even though check in time is 3pm!

• Reviewed: September 27, 2018

4 star central hub for downtown adventures
    • Deluxe Double Room

paying a big amount for a suite you would like to think water daily would be complementary but nope, I stayed in suite 114, balcony is very tight to sit outside and enjoy the drink, I expected a better view of the canal it seems that the spot is crowded for canal cruises, the sofa is extremely uncomfortable, telephone buttons weren't working, cleaning was very minimalistic, lighting was very very poor and manually I had to turn them on and off for each lamp,

location, and restaurant made up for a lot of the drawbacks, hotel is very artistic and carries a lot of history, staff were warm and friendly,

• Reviewed: September 26, 2018

Quick layover in a beautiful city
    • Classic Double Room

First trip to Amsterdam, loved the city! So well thought out. Hotel was beautiful, stained glass throughout the building, lots of detail, room was clean and the fridge was stocked. Room service breakfast was amazing!

• Reviewed: September 26, 2018

Expensive but comfortable and we would recommend to friends.
    • Classic Double Room

The jams in the large jars at breakfast, I did not like the flavour of those at all.

The location, the view and the cleanliness. And, all the bread was of good quality, and the butter that accompanied onion soup and a roll was really memorable, simply delicious. I’d love to have been able to bring some home.

I would return
    • Classic Double Room

My shower, recently renovated would not drain properly if you used the overhead fixture. I learned to use the side wall fixture and it worked well. The rooms weren't as spacious as looked on internet. Typical mislead.

Bed was great, staff was friendly and helpful, location was fantastic...

• Reviewed: September 25, 2018

Nice hotel but there was one major issue.
    • Classic Double Room

I asked for a quiet room because I had read reviews that some rooms were noisy due to construction or noise from the square. My room was on the 4th floor above the restaurant (on the square). When I arrived, I was told they knew of my request for a quiet room. I questioned the room location since I knew it was on the square. I was told it was going to be quiet. It was NOT quiet. I heard the trams (sounded like drumbeats), music, and voices from outside, until late at night. I had already unpacked and was tired, plus I was only there for 4 nights, so I did not move the room. I said something when I left to the duty manager. No compensation was offered.

Staff were nice, helpful. Room was comfortable and large. Room service food was good. I chose this hotel for amenities (elevator, a/c, etc.) and for convenience of location and it was very convenient.

• Reviewed: September 25, 2018

I would visit again but enquire about the room first. Wouldn't want to stay in that same room again.
    • Classic Double Room

Our room was peculiar, to say the least. It had the 2 main washbasins in the room and not in the bathroom. There was no view whatsoever, except onto another part of the building with an ugly wall and windows. The 2 narrow single beds were barely 10 cm apart. The room was very small and dark with some strange (although quite funky) lighting inside the mirror, (Gatsby-style). Big Hollywood-style Liza Minelli poster above the bed looked tacky. Minute fridge was crusted with solid ice. Had probably not been defrosted for weeks.

The stylish exterior, wonderful art nouveau bar and classy reception area are all great and what I had expected and been looking forward to. Location couldn't be better if you want to visit the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum.

• Reviewed: September 22, 2018

Amazing city with a wide array of interesting places to visit. There is something for everyone!
    • Classic Double Room

New visitors to Amsterdam need to be informed ahead of time to be very careful about walking because of the bicycles, trams and other vehicles. Because there are no curb stones it is sometimes difficult to understand where safe lanes deign and end.

The location was absolutely amazing. Very convenient to just about everything.

• Reviewed: September 22, 2018

Like the room all is OK nice bath with floor heating it is...
    • Classic Double Room

Like the room all is OK nice bath with floor heating it is a nice bonus, I will look for staying there in my Next visit to Amsterdam, it is in the correct place on Leidesplain

• Reviewed: September 22, 2018

Very nice art deco hotel in a great location, close to...
    • Classic Double Room

There was a small renovation in the corridor close to my room, could have looked better. The shower faucet in my room was difficult to turn with wet hands.

Very nice art deco hotel in a great location, close to public transport and shops. Excellent breakfast selection, lots of high quality fresh foods. Hotel sauna accessible to guests free of charge, it was great to be able to relax after a long day.

A must-stay Hotel!!
    • Classic Double Room

Air conditioning could have been better/stronger to fill whole room with cold air more, or an option of a lighter duvet or sheet.

The staff were so very helpful! Nothing was a problem and alongside this they were so polite, welcoming and friendly. Helped our trip away by providing good recommendations where to eat and also how to get around Amsterdam! There was also plenty of information provided in the room regarding things about the hotel and room.

• Reviewed: September 18, 2018

Not as good as the reviews
    • Classic Double Room

Payments: With Breakfast included, They charge you €6.5 for omelet and didn't even tell us about it and I haven't signed anything about it! Noise: They did works on other floors, but why drilling and hammering every morning from 8am?! Pillows are too thick and your neck hurts. Location good for walking, but for Uber point you need to cross with the luggages to other side of the Canal.

Centered location; Breakfast is relatively good and nice large windows to the street is nice atmosphere. Staff are nice.

• Reviewed: September 18, 2018

Seating selection in bar area for my wife and I was not...
    • Classic Double Room

Seating selection in bar area for my wife and I was not suitable on a number of occasions. We always wished to select seating in a corner or quiet area of the restaurant, we did not agree to be seated where the hotel assistant choose to set us.

• Reviewed: September 17, 2018

A lovely hotel to stay in an equally lovley part of Amsterdam.
    • Classic Double Room

The noise of the rennovation work going on in the hotel - it was very loud in the indoor cafe (which was beautiful)

Sitting at the outside cafe part people watching.

• Reviewed: September 16, 2018

Location in Amsterdam and the Hotel property was a really great experience.
    • Classic Double Room

Of course with Hotels that are in old buildings the rooms can be small and that was expected so not really a complaint at all. There are of course larger rooms available, for what we paid for our stay I couldn't beat the price.

American Hotel has great character and history, the location can not be beat what a great area with so many cafe's, restaurants, and adjacent to the museum section. The Hotel's art deco restaurant is an attraction in itself great place to eat or enjoy cocktails in the bar. Also is the American Cafe which has a great outdoor area next to fountain to sit and enjoy a drink and appetizer. Everything is within easy walk to all the shops, museums, cafe's, restaurants, Hop On Hop off bus stops, canal tour is just outside the front door. This area is very lively and full of people and places to visit. After touring the city and area we would have been hard pressed to find a better location. We arrived and left by taxi to and from the Amsterdam Central Train Station and was very easy to arrive and depart.

• Reviewed: September 16, 2018

Beautiful and nostalgic.
    • Classic Double Room

Dim lightening in the room. Central cell phone docking station is outdated. No USB. Don’t forget your power converters.

When booking - site said breakfast was included. When we arrived it only include 1 of 3 days. Watch out. Otherwise beautiful and Nostalgic.

• Reviewed: September 15, 2018

Excellent location, price and modern large room. Rooms are dark; confirm AC limits before booking.
    • Classic Double Room

Like many Euro hotels, we couldn't control the AC to adjust the temperature outside the range that is locked in by the hotel. The front desk manually adjusted our room temperature, but the range was still limited. As others have reported, the rooms are extremely dark. Some black walls, black carpets, headboard make you want to escape the dungeon. Even with large windows over a courtyard, you feel as if you can't see things in the room. The trendy mood lighting doesn't help brighten the room. If they just had bright ceiling lights, it would be a great improvement.

Hotel staff extremely helpful, gorgeous dining room, the room was large, modern. Location near museums and on tram lines is excellent. Our room 201 over inner courtyard was quiet, even though right near elevator. Three dinners very good, and restaurant is a nice, quiet location.

• Reviewed: September 14, 2018

Hotel is very good located! at a very old building with a lot of story.
    • Classic Double Room

Most of the personal seems to be new over there, with out no experience, few of them knew what were doing, the administrative managers were not helpful at all, but the really bad experience started when they did blocked at all the facilities of one of the room, with out even letting us know about it, they claim the room was not pay yet..however was not this way, at the check out they kept wanted to charge us more than it should be and after long discuss and proving the room was paid just the day we arrived, they did realise it was a mistake from their side - the funny thing is that again by mistake they did charge us more than should.....Hopefully, we got the money back after a couple of days!! Hotel´s policy is not re-direct to their guests, If you guys had bad experience before with clients, you shall think about another ways to take care of it.,not just blocking rooms facilities and charging twice!!

the building and its location,.

• Reviewed: September 13, 2018

Great hotel, fantastic location!
    • Classic Double Room

The hallways could do with a bit of updating

The location was fantastic!Rooms were spacious and clean. House cleaning was very good. Hotel bar staff were very friendly and directed use towards De Hallen, which was great. Staff in general were very friendly and pleasant. We were celebrating our wedding Anniversary and there was a small bottle of champagne in our room on arrival which was a lovely touch.

• Reviewed: September 13, 2018

We were charged for an extra nights stay on the card I used...
    • Deluxe Double Room

We were charged for an extra nights stay on the card I used to book the room!!! Contacted booking.com and the property multiple times and no response from the hotel. I am now working with my credit card people to deny the charge and have my card credited almost 300.00!!! So disappointed and would probably not recommend a stay there for this reason!

• Reviewed: September 12, 2018

Very good.
    • Classic Double Room

Markings for stairs to go to the lobby when elevator was not working. We went on the wrong staircase and got locked in between 2 doors. Luckily another couple was able to open an emergency foot after 25 min of panic.

Location was fabulous. Breakfast was very good.

• Reviewed: September 10, 2018

Good but for the money would of liked alot more
    • Classic Double Room

The room was next to were they where doing building work in the hotel so it was pretty noisy in the morning

The beds were lovely hotel was in a good area

• Reviewed: September 10, 2018

GOOD LOCATION - GOOD WIFI - NICE ROOM - VIEW OF A BRICK WALL! - BREAKFAST NO WELCOME OR ATTENTION.
    • Classic Double Room

Once again the request for a disabled room with a flat service shower wasn't allocated originally even though booked several months ahead of the stay. Disabled ask for a walk in accessible shower because they have restricted mobility, BOOKING.COM have a poor record on this and often it is better to avoid Booking.com and book direct with the hotel. Requests for a sea view or a room on the 4th floor can be overlooked but a request for a disabled room is done because its needed and not for a spot of fun. While the hotel eventually managed to resolve this by a employee who took time trying to locate a suitable room it resulted in a lengthy process at reception for checking in and a messy process. Even so the gentleman was very patient and did a excellent job but this should have been done by the booking/reservations department. Checking in was messy and slow. Breakfast, though the food was good service was a mess. At no time were we shown to our table, we were left to find our own way and on occasions had to ask for staff to clean the table and again ask for our beverages. We have had better service in road side cafe's and expected this hotel to provide a breakfast service that is efficient and on a par with other 4 star establishments. Room allocated had no view, looking internally at a brick wall.

Charming historic hotel nicely located in the tourist area with easy access to attractions and shopping facilities with trams close by for getting around the city and canal boats on the doorstep. The allocated room {eventually got into our room} was spacious, clean and pleasant and served its purpose. With good WiFi provided free of charge and a good sized desk for any work you might need to do while there the hotel ticks a lot of the mandatory boxes. Pleasant, helpful staff. Good breakfast was included in our booking although oddly enough if you wanted a omelette instead of poached or fried egg an additional charge is applied, its not included in the breakfast deal, very odd and unusual. No menu on display so you have to guess what's on offer for breakfast. Good range of TV channels available in the room, usually most hotels only offer a handful of channels, usually the same old news channels but the American Hotel offers a better and wider range, even on business guests like to relax with a movie or comedy show, all of which this hotel offers. On the whole a good hotel but not disabled friendly, no easy access into the hotel, steps everywhere. Most older hotels have at least one ramp access to the hotel but there was no evidence of this available at the American Hotel. Comfortable bed ensuring a good sleep. A good choice but room for improvements.

• Reviewed: September 10, 2018

Location, Hotel Building, they have a big fountain in front...
    • Classic Double Room

very low-quality towels, toilet tissues, leaky toilets, when you flush the water came out of the toilet seat, very nasty old carpets. These comments are based on my experience, if i pay £70 £80 per night, then i can expect anything, but when you spend £200 per night, then the standards need to be high and bare that in mind its a 4-star hotel.

Location, Hotel Building, they have a big fountain in front of the hotel, only 1 in Amsterdam, next to the canals where you can get the canal boats. Room was ok too

• Reviewed: September 10, 2018

We were upgraded to a junior suite great size room balcony
    • Classic Double Room

We were upgraded to a junior suite great size room balcony Lovely room Pillows fabulous and bed Breakfast was very good Staff where excellent and very helpful Fantastic location on canels and close to restaurants and tram out front Highly recommended

• Reviewed: September 10, 2018

High class hotel in prime location supported by very nice staff
    • Classic Double Room

The lights went out in my room a couple of times but it was nothing to complain about, probably a result of the renovations. It's worth it though. Room service was a bit suspect, not the food, just the service but it turned out to be quite amusing as they delivered a bottle of water after 20 mins only to tell me that my order was not available (they tried calling but I suspect the renovations were the culprits again), they helped me to order another meal, which only took around 10 mins to arrive and this time they forgot to bring cutlery. They did amend this in seconds when I called down though, so no real issue.

A beautiful art deco style hotel from a period when style and class really mattered. When I stayed here last they were busy modernising the rooms which has worked out well. The stained glass huge widow in my room, offset by the modernity of a trendy feeling decor was very nice and relaxing. I always ask for firm/hard pillows due to allergies and this request is never met, but it was at the American, thank you for a good nights sleep. The real deal is the restaurant though, it's amazing with 3 storey high ceilings surrounded by a plethora of art and stained windows. The food was good and priced sensibly, which is not always easily found in Amsterdam. On Friday evening I popped down for some dinner and was pleasantly met by a duo performing a mix of lounge jazz while dinners applauded and conversed simultaneously, just a wonderful start to the evening.

• Reviewed: September 7, 2018

Great hotel at a great location
    • Classic Double Room

The staff was amazing, very professional and nice. The location here is really really great. It was very clean and the room was very nice. It is a 15 minute walk for the Amsterdam Central Train Station.

• Reviewed: September 6, 2018

perfect
    • Classic Double Room

Honestly couldn't highly recommend this place enough amazing friendly staff, spotless rooms ,beautiful facilities and has every amenitys you could think of

• Reviewed: September 6, 2018

Good Hotel, very helpful staff, great room and great location, just a little bit pricey!
    • Classic Double Room

Amsterdam is expensive to stay in a Hotel even though, I found that this Hotel was just a bit too expensive for what you received. If breakfast was included in the price then I feel this would have justified the expense.

The bed was huge and soooo comfy, it was amazing! The room size was really good, and the bathroom was also a great size. The location was super, near a lot of sights and right next to the major Tram routes. The chilled iced lemon water in reception was a nice touch.

• Reviewed: September 4, 2018

The renovated rooms are great and comfortable. great location for all tourist attractions.
    • Classic Double Room

The only negative is that there is renovation taking place so it was pretty noisy during the day but the noise did not start before 10.00 am so it should not disturb sleep.

After reading reviews, we requested a renovated room and got one. Although a little tight for our many bags and very little cupboard space, the room was new, very functional and pleasant. Fortunately we were out for most of the day and did not have to deal with the renovation noise. The bathroom was big and had sufficient space for everything, Good shower. Enjoyed the Nespresso machine

• Reviewed: September 3, 2018

Wonderful stay

Poor service at the terrace of The Cafe Americain :(

Beautiful building, great location & comfortable. Thank you to Reception Team for the nice welcome; we really enjoyed our stay !

• Reviewed: September 2, 2018

Lovely hotel, great location

Room was quite small

Great location close to everything, comfortable bed, fast WiFi, staff were really friendly and helpful, lovely bathroom, will defiantly be back

• Reviewed: September 1, 2018

Two days of luxury and comfort
    • Classic Double Room

The refurbished rooms are stylish, fun, luxurious and the bed so comfortable The staff made us feel so welcome and were very helpful. The beautiful art Deco dining room was amazing, I am glad the original features and style of the hotel have been kept

• Reviewed: August 29, 2018

Book, enjoy and love this art deco hotel! Awesome stay! Perfect location!

No complaints

Based on the previous reviews because of the possible noise due to reconstruction, I called the hotel a few weeks in advance. They ensured a room that was far away from this, even got an upgrade and I rarely found the noise anywhere else in the hotel bothersome. Beautiful art deco hotel, well done on the updated suite we got, and very friendly service! Hotels like this category are expensive but worthwhile! Don't expect cheaper hotels in this area to be great. You're in Amsterdam!

• Reviewed: August 29, 2018

The location is very nice.
    • Classic Double Room

It’s more like a family hotel. I didn’t like room service, the room view and the lack of living room areas in the reception.

The location is very nice.

• Reviewed: August 26, 2018

Incredible. I will definitely stay there again.
    • Classic Double Room

It's not that we didn't like it but the bathroom door was see through and the sinks were in the main bedroom.

The location was excellent and the staff were lovely and very helpful. I would certainly go again. We were at the back of the hotel and it was very quite. Exactly the way we liked it. The beds were really comfortable. The bathroom was neat and tidy.

• Reviewed: August 26, 2018

Excellent hotel, positevly exceeded expectations

I liked everything.

Very professional and friendly staff, great location (tour kiosk just in front of hotel), very clean rooms and well organized regular cleaning. Stayed one week and positively surprised of buffet breakfast that was delicious with regular change in variety. Found this four star hotel a way better than the five star hotel I have stayed recently. Strongly recommended.

• Reviewed: August 24, 2018

Superb hotel in great location and value for money!
    • Classic Double Room

Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The hotel is in an ideal location being close to Leidseplein. Highly recommend this place for either pleasure or business.

• Reviewed: August 24, 2018

Fantastic, Amsterdam awesome!!!
    • Classic Double Room

I would be too critical to pick on anything !

Fantastic establishment with old world charm , Central to all locations with connecting tram stop out the front , and boat stop outside the front door . Great restaurant and funky bar with all the celebrities fotos on the wall who stayed ,there that added extra charm to the hotel . Definitely worth visiting even for a cocktail! We

• Reviewed: August 23, 2018

The location is excellent, staff is helpful, rooms are clean...
    • Classic Double Room

Room was a little too small for the money and there was no view, breakfast very expensive

The location is excellent, staff is helpful, rooms are clean, the restaurant si beautiful and the food is good

• Reviewed: August 21, 2018

Great mini break - would go again

Helpful staff and very efficient at check in and check out. Bar staff were particularly friendly and fun. Central location was fantastic for all the sights

• Reviewed: August 20, 2018

Comfortable stay in a very good location.
    • Classic Double Room

The rooms are small (as are most hotel rooms in Amsterdam) though somewhat countered by having a balcony and the bathroom was old-fashioned.

The hotel is in an excellent location on the edge of Leidseplein - so great for pubs, restaurants, the tram and as a base to explore Amsterdam on foot. Was a short walk to the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum. The staff in the bar were really friendly and helpful and up for a chat.

• Reviewed: August 20, 2018

Great location for attractions, bars and restaurants.
    • Deluxe Double Room

*Breakfast: Good food although waitress forgot to order our hot food and we had to wait 40 mins for it to arrive.

Location was excellent. Room was spacious. Staff were friendly. Breakfast was good (See below)*

• Reviewed: August 20, 2018

The bed was super comfy and the room was spacious!
    • Classic Double Room

The value for money and the breakfast. Food was lukewarm and not very nice. €22 per person for a buffet that was worth more like €10 per person!

The bed was super comfy and the room was spacious!

• Reviewed: August 20, 2018

Bar was quaint and comfortable.
    • Classic Double Room

Room was at the back and dark. Very expensive for the room. Over 500 euro for two nights. No breakfast included. Yes at height of season but unacceptable not to include breakfast at that price. Of course there were other places but was drawn to the quaint character of the hotel.

Bar was quaint and comfortable. Lovely stained glass windows.Delicious desserts and drinks.

• Reviewed: August 19, 2018

The location is excellent and the beds are very comfortable.
    • Classic Double Room

The room seemed dark when getting ready needs more lights

The location is excellent and the beds are very comfortable. The staff are very friendly and if you ask for something they deliver nothing is too much trouble.

• Reviewed: August 16, 2018

Pleasant business trip
    • Classic Double Room

The restaurant kitchen closed before 10 pm which meant we couldn't eat there after late arrival (but enough options close by to sort us out) Room doors make a loud bang on closing which mean that you get disturb by other guests leaving or getting to their room The minibar is automatic so you cannot remove items to put your own things in although there is a little space for your own items It was not very clear that you could order cooked items for breakfast unless a waiter came to ask you at your table

Location is excellent - withing walking distance of so many tourist attractions (although I was here on business) Option of different kind of pillows Comfortable bed and shower Very friendly and helpful staff The breakfast restaurant was not very busy which was pleasant A beautiful art deco building with history

• Reviewed: August 15, 2018

Good size rooms.
    • Classic Double Room

Good size rooms. Location is great for the museums. A bit of a walk to the northern part of Amsterdam but that's probably because we were walking in 90 degree heat wave

• Reviewed: August 13, 2018

Good for location, but dont include breakfast
    • Classic Double Room

Rooms are on small side also the breakfast service was terrible. None of the staff seemed to want to be there, As there was no cutlery on our table I had to look for some and staff ignored us. Also asked for Slices of bread which they said they didn't have, but could provide toasted bread slices???? First day buffet was very empty and not replenished even though breakfast still had an hour to go. Bacon and scrambled eggs were not good.

Bed was comfortable, and very centrally located

• Reviewed: August 12, 2018

Amazing design of the hotel and room, comfortable bed, great...
    • Classic Double Room

Extremely modest buffet breakfast for that price.

Amazing design of the hotel and room, comfortable bed, great canal views, good location close to museums, restaurants and clubs, friendly staff.

• Reviewed: August 11, 2018

Very convenient for Museum and Van Gogh gallery, Lots of...
    • Classic Double Room

Underground Parking available few minutes walk but very expensive. No overnight charging available in the car park. Whats the matter here? are you still living in the last century? No charging in the car park, you must be daft.

Very convenient for Museum and Van Gogh gallery, Lots of excellent restaurants and canal tour nearby

• Reviewed: August 10, 2018

The location of this hotel is second to none.
    • Classic Double Room

The bedroom had a really clean and comfortable bed but there were stains in the carpet and the bath was also stained and rather worn.

The location of this hotel is second to none. For that reason I’d stay there again.

• Reviewed: August 8, 2018

Weekend away
    • Classic Double Room

The hotel is very clean and the public areas are well presented, but the room We were in could do with a little updating.

Good location, lovely hotel with great facilities and friendly helpful staff,

• Reviewed: August 6, 2018

Long weekend in Amseterdam
    • Classic Double Room

Bar-restaurant with outdoor space very attractive but when my wife and I asked to have a dinner they answered that the kitchen was understaffed and waiters coudn't keep food orders in the successive 20-25 minutes. This is not exactly our expectation in a 4 starts hotel in the centre of Amsterdam. We had to choose another location for our dinner so cannot even judge the quality of the dinner.

Large and comfortable room, clean and with a small balcony looking at the channel. The location is very convenient, close to the museums area, the bus stop to the airport and tram stop to the station. Walking distance from all main touristic attractions of the city. We arrived quite early at the hotel, they got our luggages, gave us the chance to use the SPA toilettes and called on the mobile as soon as the room was ready.

• Reviewed: August 6, 2018

Beautiful historic hotel
    • Classic Double Room

Only minus was mini-bar prices, €6 for a bottle of water!

The reception staff and all staff were really helpful and friendly. It was great to be able to get tram tickets from reception and nothing was too much trouble! Beautiful hotel with so much history.

Browse American Hotel Amsterdam Traveler Photo Gallery