Reviews of Rembrandt Square Hotel Amsterdam (former Hampshire Hotel – Rembrandt Square Amsterdam) 4 stars

Amstelstraat 17, Amsterdam City Centre, 1017 DA Amsterdam, Netherlands

#228 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

• Apartment

Bed was not comfy at all.. 2 split beds and one mattress that goes on top so if one of the beds move which it certainly will then you have a gap in the middle which makes it impossible to move around

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff kindly made an exception for my boyfriend as it was his birthday trip. We ha a lovely room and they gave him little gifts, however the light in the bathroom didn't have any blinds and the bathroom door was clear so the sun shone through at the crack of dawn! The single only downfall of it! We also never got any wifi code so never had any wifi the whole time, saying that we didn't spend much time at the hotel to bother asking the staff for it.

I booked this hotel not realising that Rembrandt Square was the central point to access pretty much everything! The most perfect location with tram stop right outside the hotel was a bonus and the square was buzzing!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Price of drinks and food in bedroom was expensive.

Friendly staff who speak brilliant English. The bed was super comfortable and windows looking out to the street. Location of this hotel is fantastic.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Carpet and window shades looked dirty and worn out. Bath tub knob was broken and kept falling down. Room looked more like 2* hotel, definately not 4*. Expected more for the value we paid.

Bed had a topper and was very comfy. Staff was helpful. We could leave our luggage there whole afternoon after check out.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was lovely, but as it is on Rembrant Square there can sometimes be noise from people outside or passing vehicles. Overall it was a wonderful hotel.

The bed was very comfy and the bath was incredible. A fantastic location, easy access by public transport.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Cleaner came to knock my door twice to see if I am in the room on the day of check out. She could just wait till 12 when I check out or see if I checked out at the reception instead of coming to my room twice and disturb me when I’m getting ready. Also the towel hanger was broken.

It was clean and spacious

• Executive Double or Twin Room

We were a couple whom had been given 2 very small single beds pushed together that kept pushing apart. Very impractical and uncomfortable. The beds should, at the very least, have zip mattresses and at best zip and a topper. The room was also very dark and gloomy.

Really good location but lacking in atmosphere

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Thought the bathroom glass door was a bit strange , nice sliding door for more private stuff would have been nice

Nice area , tram and walking easy to get we’re you want to go .

• Standard Single Room

Only a small single bed for a room that cost me over €200 a night. The bed was far to small and i was not impressed at all.

Location is great. Staff are friendly and helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The smell in the entrance hall was definitely affected by the restaurant

I really enjoyed the breakfast in quality and variety. Buffet was always refilled. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room quiet

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The ventilation was making noise all the time.

I've had a great stay. The beds are extremely comfortable, breakfast is great and location just couldn't be better.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Although we were upgraded to a Junior Suite upon arrival, the bedroom wasn't that clean. We found an old band aid on the floor near the bed, some coins in the arm chair and a balloon behind the curtains! The drinks in the bar were very expensive, €25 for 2 gin and tonics!

Rooms were comfortable and the bathroom was quite luxurious with underfloor heating and very clean. The safe in the wardrobe was easy to use and useful to have. The staff on reception, in the bar and the restaurant were all very friendly and welcoming. We didn't eat here so cannot comment on the food.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The toilet only had a swinging glass door which is not ideal for privacy when sharing a room with a friend.

The beds were some the comfiest i have ever experienced.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There were glass doors between the living space and bathroom. If I was with a romantic companion then it would be fine but when you're traveling with a friend it made it kinda awkward. Also, there is a lip leading into the bathroom which I felt was dangerous.

Bed was super soft.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Lighting in the room was very nice, but quite dim. A dimmer switch to control the level of lighting would be helpful in the future.

The pillow menu. Really like the option of having a suitable pillow which provides support.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We stayed two nights. On arrival we were 'greeted' by a rather surley receptionist whose tone indicated she'd had a long day and didn't exactly feel welcomed as she took our money. The room on the second floor (265) was very dark, even with all the lights on and the curtain drawn back (the window was small, not ground to ceiling). No view whatsoever. The bathroom was ok but again very dark. Air con didn't work at all but the small window did open but then you had to put up with the building noise outside?? The worst however was the noise!! You could hear everything going on inside the hotel, people shouting, moving around, the lifts, the ice machine etc, etc. into the early hours and then from early morning. No complimentary water either so highly recommend you call and pick some up before you arrive, mini-bar prices are high!! All this for just under €200 per night!?!?! At checkout the receptionist was a guy who was really pleasant - the only bonus.

The location was spot on! Very easy to walk anywhere.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Too noisily if given a room facing the street.

Good location is the main reason I choose to stay here. Room is clean and tidy. Staff is friendly to help. Coffee machine is quite good

• Standard Double or Twin Room

.View was very poor, beds arnt comftorable, curtains were loose so lots of light early in the morning. Parking was not free as i understood in from web site..

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Terrible service at the hotel. I forgot my keys in the room and called to confirm they had indeed found them. After confirming they had found the keys, the hotel informed me I would have to pay for shipping to my home address. Which is fine. However, I was quoted €47. That is ridiculous. Quickly looking at prices, this is higher than international priority post (€32.95). Its clear to me they are charging an admin fee or similar for this service. For me, this is unforgivable. I will never return as a result.

Great location, clean rooms, good sized rooms.

• Apartment

We were in the top floor apartment with 2 1/2 flights of narrow curving stairs to climb plus an additional curved flight of stairs to climb inside the apartment to get to the bedroom and bath. (We had asked for an apartment on the lowest level possible.) Also, the toilet was in a separate room on the living level and the sink and shower were in a room without a door on the bedroom level. This would be inconvenient for small children or anyone with mobility issues.

Location, concierge and reception staff, amount of living space, nice kitchen, small balcony, view of the canal.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Really dim lighting not suited to trying to do any work in the fairly small room. Wifi flits in and out. Room looks stylish, but in some cases impractical - small gap between fixed bed and desk meant stubbing my toe in the middle of the night! Shower screen wouldn't open more than a couple of inches due to basin being in the way. Phone didn't work in room, so went to reception to ask for an iron while in a hurry - had to go back 45 mins later (now late) to see where it was.

Staff friendly, bed comfy, location very good

• Standard Double or Twin Room

TV remote wasn't working. There was some kind of white powder over the front of the closet. Light in the bathroom was poor.

Location was superb. Everything is nearby. A lot of great restaurants, caffe's, bakerys on the same street. Museumplain, Vondelpark, red light district are 10 minutes of easy walk away. Staff was very helpfull and kind. Bed was comfortable. Big windows with view on the street below.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

2 elevators only which took a while sometimes. hotel access by car is hard and taxi drivers reject to drop in front of the hotel.

the bathroom had a shower with a glass wall to the room. we spoke to the staff and they changed the room to a room with a bath tub. room size was ok comparing to other hotels in amsterdam with same price range. hotel access at night was with a card for security reasons

• Standard Single Room

The ladies in front office staff needs a little taming on customer service !!

The location was just perfect as you get access to all major interests areas easily and you cannot ask for any better !!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Just a peraonal preferance about the beds it was too soft and pillows were too bulky but nothing big i guess im just use to my own bed plus im sure if i asked i would have got different pillows but all round a great hotel

How cosy the room was,cleaners looked after towels and bedding everyday we were there and how close to tram was great

No option of a late checkout, 2 single beds instead of a double

Staff were very helpful at our departure we were allowed to leave our bags for a full day and the hotel ordered a taxi for us without even having to ask, very good service

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Not much nearby. Restaurants nearby aren't great. Dutch staff aren't very enthusiastic. Problems with air-conditioning and keycards.

Good access to tram. Clean and tidy but no facilities worth writing home about.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Dear sir/madam Please excuse me writing this in English as I can not write Dutch. However what I feel is universal, as I'm writing this in disbelief. Disbelief that after such a disaster of a stay at your hotel, ruining my stay in Amsterdam, your customer service has managed to beat it. RE: Dates 8 & 9th March 2018: Room 390 The Power cut. I totally understand that these things "Power Cuts" can happen in life. And that is why we, as businesses, have insurance. What I can not understand is your company's unbelievably poor level of customer service during this event. Especially at a time when good customer service can turn a problem like this into a positive. I've have spent 5 days and who knows how much on call charges trying to locate clothing that I left in the room. (a blue cord Norse project shirt and Uniqlo striped T, Lost and found form filled in via phone - reception) Clothing I only left because I was staying in a room without light, power, even hot water. I have since been on hold for a record 18 minutes while waiting to speak to someone about my refund. A refund I never had time to speak about while staying because I had to leave for a flight. A flight I nearly missed because the wake-up call I asked for was 30 mins late. The wake-up call I relied on because the hotel was on its second night of no power, therefore, no mobiles were working. I have since been promised by someone who' name I never took, then Julius and finally your duty manager Stephany that they would call me back with info on my clothing and on my refund. Stephany also promised to email me. Neither have or probably will. I hope whoever reads this has enough professional decency to reply. Sincerely Daniel Hunt

• Standard Single Room

What was really super annoying was that the guy from cleaning was tapping at my door with a key for 10 minutes (around 11), and waking me up, check-out is at 12 I really did not understand this action. And was not pleased at all.

Room was small, but had everything, bathroom was fine, good value for your money especially the location at the edge of the Rembrandtplein was great

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The carpet that was not hoovered and I would have liked to have an iron and iron board in the room but overall highly recommended I would consider to change the sign of the hotel name as it is not very visible

The breakfast was fantastic, very professional and welcoming staff. the location is very central and close to all the trams restaurants and cafes. The bed is extremely comfortable and the bathroom is clean and well designed

• Apartment

There are steps leading from the bathroom sink to the shower and from the shower to the bedroom. There are no handrails which, for the less nimble would be important. We brought this to the attention of the concierge who explained that the facility is new and only a few months in use and promised to pass this along to management.

We booked an apartment that the hotel offers. The facility includes a fully furnished living room fronting on the canal opposite the National Opera House, a fully equipped kitchen with fridge, microwave, coffee maker, etc; bath, shower and bedroom with firm mattress! Location is splendid with easy access to trams and metro. Staff were consistently friendly and eager to please.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Just before I departed the hotel for my journey home, I had collected my luggage from the luggage storage. The concierge who assisted me and my friends was lovely. However, as I fixed my case (crouched down as it was on the floor) another concierge appeared and talked to me in an extremely patronising and condescending way. He was asking me to get off the floor but instead of simply asking, he told me how "you know, it doesn't look very nice". Even after I told him I was just fixing my bag he then directed me to the nearby table.. Which looked like an antique check in desk with a computer on it! Needless to say, I was disgusted with his treatment of me. I was also so disappointed as it was just as I was preparing to leave. He was dismissive and rude even when it was clear I wasn't "lounging" on the floor.. I was crouched over my suitcase!

The rooms were really lovely and comfortable! Also the main tram lines were a stones throw away.. Couldn't have been any better! The Rembrandt Square itself was an amazing asset to the hotel. Even if you weren't in the main hub (around the Dam stop or the Centraal), the Rembrandt Square was filled with restaurants

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was a perfect size, the bathroom was lovely having it lovely and big, just over all a lovely first experience of Amsterdam we will definitely be using this hotel again

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Pay for double bed and never had it and with my baby was so hard in the twin bed

The food in the French restaurant was very nice and the croissants was good and want to mention the woman who work there miss Eva was very nice and helpful

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel make you sign multiple no-smoking declarations then the first room we were given was riddled with smoke!

Without too much fuss, the staff moved us to a different room - in a higher class than our original booking

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The fridge not having any space to put fresh milk, fruit or any thing purchased elsewhere. If you dare move anything in the fridge it is automatically charged to your account! Absolutely ridiculous to stock the minibar to capacity and not leave space for other items, particularly fresh milk given the longlife milk sachets were quite awful!

Great location for getting around Amsterdam. Very accommodating and friendly staff. Bed was extremely comfortable with a selection of pillows. Room very clean and had been updated as had the ensuite. Breakfast was more than adequate having a wide selection of food that would suit most people's dietary requirements.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Being so close to booking.com headquarters, that if there would have been any problems I would come personally and complain........but there wasn't, good on ya'

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff is very polite but a bit unprofessional. The check-in was about 30 minutes, because my reservation was lost, the company details on my invoice were not correct and finally-forgot about my dry package in the morning.

Very comfortable room, rich breakfast, great location

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Some noise in the nighttime since it's not far from some of the biggest clubs in the city. Some problem when we where checking out, wanted us to pay double, but after a bit all worked out.

Location, big rooms, mostly the staff was smiling and helpfull, over all clean rooms, free coffee machine in the room. All in all a nice hotel, we got what we expected, and if we ever go to Amsterdam again we will certainly consider staying here again.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Rooms could have been prepped and cleaned better. Hairpins all over the floor from previous guest when I arrived. Visible water damage and peeling paint in room.

Location is great - very walkable. Room was larger than European hotel standards. Enjoyed the coffee shop onsite.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Booked double room, instead got two single beds with a sizeable gap. Air con / heating system was a bit noisy.

Location! Privacy of lobby/reception. Room felt cosy. Overall hotel was clean and in good condition.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Not much. Probably just the prices of the vending machines in the lobby. But that’s just me being picky

The rooms where perfect. Really big. We stayed once before in a suite and this time around we opted for a standard double and still it was huge. Very well presented all the staff where extremely pleasant

Service, value for money, delayed room. And to top it all when we went for breakfast the person on the breakfast reception said we had not prepaid for breakfast and when we said we had he said show me the receipt. I suggested that he checked again, which he did and found that we had in fact prepaid.

The location was excellent.

• Standard Single Room

The mattresses were old and saggy. Beware of the unannounced window washing man. I came out of the bathroom half dressed and he was like 5 feet from me!

Fantastic location. Exceptional staff.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The service was pretty horrendous. When we arrived the towels were not given thus we have to ask for towels. The staff didnt look keen to help us when we ask for directions, instead directing us to the conceirge of eden hampshire.

The coffee machine

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast not as rich for the money (15€/person)

When I first saw the rating of the hotel I was skeptical. But this hotel is far better. Location, cleanliness, facilities. Room is spacious, quiet and very comfortable.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The only thing I did not like is that the windows don’t open, so no fresh air. Just dry air-con air. The mini-bar is hugely over priced and bottled water is not complementary as with other hotels in the area.

When we checked in, the reception clerk informed us that we had been upgraded to a superior room, which was a lovely surprise for us. The hotel is clean and well presented. Rooms look modern but with lots of personal space. Space is important when you are 6’8” Staff were friendly and helpful. Bed was very comfortable, and the bedding was clean. The room was made up every day. On one day we slept in and had the do not disturb sign on the door. When we ventured out later in the day we returned to find the room had been made up, so housekeeping obviously keep a list of rooms they didn’t make up in the morning. Nespresso machine in the room was a fantastic treat. Bathroom was great too. Shower over the tub not my favourite but the tub was big, so no problems there. Separate loo is really good.

They took the payment on arrival which was ok but unexpected we usually pay on departure, room service was awful

Bed really comfy junior suite nice and large, shower good, bar ok staff friendly

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Rooms where clean and comfortable. Staff lovely. Hotel was very central and tram stop was just up the road to central station. Couldnt fault my stay.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Rainfall shower was broken so it just squirted everywhere (fine unless you don't want to wash your hair) also there's not a lot separating the shower from the bedroom, only a frosted glass screen so you can pretty much see everything (fine if you're with your partner, but otherwise not). They provide with a Nespresso machine but no milk, only creamer - not best impressed. Got the a view looking into someone else's flat.

Lovely modern room, fabulous location with Starbucks and lots of bars/restaurants nearby. Bed was sooooo comfy!! Cleaner was very friendly.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Size of bed I dont see why u wouldn’t have proper double beds. The price difference would be nothing. Other then that great place to stay

Size of the bed that is all rest was prefect

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Hotel was old, dirty and dark as we had a tiny little window so eventually it got quite depressing.

Location is fantastic. Incredible food options and good access to cultural sightseeing and tours of the city.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I stay here very frequently, almost twice a month, and recently it feels like the quality especially in the rooms is slipping. Last week my room was not cleaned during my stay and plug sockets and the kettle were broken, during my previous stay there was no remote control for the TV in the room. Simple things that guests shouldn't need to be troubled with. The wifi is also sporadic depending on what room you are staying in.

Great location close to lots of restaurants. Breakfast is a real plus point with lots of variety and now they will even make omelettes to order!

No gym possibility.

The breakfast everything is there what you want, fresh eggs - scrambled and also healthy breakfast with yogurt and granola and fresh fruit. Amazing!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Our room, as lovely and comfortable as it was only had a tiny window with absolutely no view at all.

Loved the bed! Really comfortable. Also great location. Rembrandt Square excellent base for visiting the whole city and had great places to eat and drink.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Hard to fault anything. The room was a little small which might put some off but for us it was excellent.

Bed was incredible as was the room as a whole. The staff were amazing and the breakfast was top notch. I would definitely stay again.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The cleaning of the ventilation system, the cleaning of the rooms (because we had to change 2 rooms...), the differences between the same type of the room, cleaning service done after 2 pm, AC not working after 10pm, etc.

The city vibe

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel is really nice. It definitely meets business guests needs. Good quality breakfast buffet with possibility to order something special. There was also a waitress offering freshly squeezed orange juice. PS. I got a free upgrade to the apartment. Thank you very much!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There was supposed to be free tea and coffee facilities but there was one tea bag and no milk atal!! Which is annoying if you want a cup of tea especially at the price of the place. The reception also isn't 24/7, we rung down at either 10 or 11 and no one was there.

The room was modern and the bed was comfy.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I had a problem in the room, asked staff to be solved, but they just solved it at the last night without updating me on anything. If you have a window and you want it to be open, take note that they will ask you to sign a document for "responsibility in case of damage " with a fee of 150 euros.

breakfast and location

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Didn't have much wardrobe space for our clothes, but that's a very minor gripe.

Building interior was warm & welcoming; all staff were so friendly & helpful (Reception Desk staff, concierge, cleaners); beds were very comfortable; shower had excellent pressure and was suitably hot.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I liked everything about this hotel, if im ever coming back to Amsterdam i will Definitely come back to this hotel

Very good location, next to many attractions, rooms were cozy

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I understand that it's Europe and things are a bit different from the U.S. An iron and ironing board should be standard in the room. So should small wash cloths. I was advised that none were available. With the exception of the bathroom, the lighting in the room was very dim, even with all lights on.

Excellent location! Right in Rembrandt Square. You can't be in any better of a place. Breakfast in the mornings were very good. The spread is very large.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Our bed was extremely uncomfortable. It was very soft and the pillows were also soft and uncomfortable. The room was on the 2nd floor on the street side. It was very noising most of the night with the tram going by on a regular basis, construction work and general street noises. We put up with the bed for 2 nights and then asked if they could do something to make the bed better. The staff were very apologetic and had th3 bed changed but the replacement bed was only a fraction better. They did offer to change our room but as we only had one night left we didn’t bother

The hotel was in a central location and the staff were helpful

• Standard Double or Twin Room

no HD television, only few non-Dutch channels, prices of minibar-drinks too expensive. Room rather small and a little dirty in details.

Friendly employees, comfortable bed, great choice of breakfast, quality of breakfast. Only some steps away from innercity and Grachten. Okay for short stays

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel is superbly placed for all visiting areas and great outlook either onto the canal or Rembrandt Square. Plenty to do very close by without travelling too far. The staff were amazing and gave us great advice on where to go, help with our luggage, and booking dining and breakfast options. The Flo Brasserie is a must as the quality of food is some of the best i have had and I have tried a lot. The same can be said of breakfast which was Continental or English. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows were again the best I've slept on (we took the name to see if we can buy any). Cannot comment on WiFI as we did not use it. We will definitely be returning.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The shower smelled bad when we got there (it was later taken care of), the water presure was too low.

The place looks great, in a great area, and really welcoming staff. The breakfast was excellent!

Stayed on 2nd floor (suite), corridor smelt of dirty drains, room cold & draughty, no central heating, aircon only, carpets need replacing, plumbing noisy,expected a little more for 300 euro a night. Were'nt even asked if we enjoyed our stay at checkout, more concerned if we had used the very expensive mini bar!

Room was quiet & bed was ok, but was cold draught from windows. Good location for centre.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The carpets in the rooms are worn and could need some deep cleaning

The Location of the Hotel is perfect, right in the center of town. The rooms facing the courtyard are nice and quiet, easy check in and my special requests regarding the room were granted. The Front Desk Agent who checked me in was very professional and friendly (I think his name was Jeroen)

• Standard Double or Twin Room

arrived on time but couldn't check in - hotel computer system down when system was up and running - couldn't check in room not ready booked room with double bed - staff tried to allocate twin beds - reason, not enough double beds two entrances to the hotel - two different names (how does that work?)

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Perfect location in the heart of Amsterdam. Friendly and professional staff. Very comfortable and spacious room equipped with various amenities like mini bar, tea kettle, coffee machine. The breakfast was plentiful and tasty. Free WiFi in all areas.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room and toilet are not clean. They have to be much carefully

The place’s area is amazing. Every where is so near we just walked. The hotel’s breakfast is good but they want around 18 euro for each person

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There is desk in the center of room thats make room small

The staff was very friendly and helpful when I asked for a didn’t want to clean my room,they put bags with towels and everything like ( shampoo and conditioner also tea bags) behind the room 😍

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The tram or tube (not sure which) makes a lot of noise and vibration going by.

Breakfast was amazing: a lot of options to every taste and type of diet!

• Executive Double or Twin Room

I had requested for quiet room and the hotel completely ignored my request which I made more than a month ago and gave me a room on 1st level right next to the busy street with continuous noise of trams and people walking by. Plus our window was also broken. So noise levels were very high. They fixed the window but noise was still there. They were not ready to change our room since they have no other room available. Not recommended for light sleepers. Also there was no hot water in sink. You need to keep tap on for at least 10 minutes to get some hot water. This is not at all good when you are in cold weather. Also mini fridge is already full so you can’t keep your items if you get anything from outside. Overall, an average stay. But definitely not value for money.

Spacious room. Superb location.