Reviews of Savoy Hotel Amsterdam 4 stars

#373 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

6.1

5.6

• Standard Twin Room with Sofa

I think they need better maintenance of the rooms. The drain of our sink was half clogged. They should also provide coffee making facility in the room. For the price that they charged, I expected atleast free coffee.

Location was great. It was not too far from the center. It was a nice, quiet neighborhood!

• Standard Twin Room with Sofa

The decor was a bit miss matched, although this had no bearing on the enjoyability of my stay.

A fantastic hotel close enough to the city yet away from the madness of the centre. I had read previous reviews prior to my stay and worried what the hotel was going to be like upon arrival. I was pleasantly surprised by the clean rooms and friendly staff. It was around 15 minutes to get a tram to central station and the hotel has bikes available to rent at a reasonable cost. I never tried the breakfast at the hotel, although there are plenty of cafes and supermarkets a short walk away.

checking in. the room small and dirty. for 300 + Euro a room under the street level is very expensive . Also the bad room was mouldy. I am totally disgusted with this deal.

Breakfast was good and the staf by Breakfast and checking out.

Cleanliness of the rooms and corridors could have been better.. the smell of dingy and rotten sometimes can get to you.

The location is very central to visit downtown as well as the Rai convention center. The staff was very friendly and coorperative. Lots of cafes nearby.

This hotel does not deserve 4 stars. E.g. when our both rooms where out of shampoo, nobody noticed. Even worse is problem with the keys. We have seen several guests returning to reception because keys didn't work. Mine also didn't work and the staff told me not to hold it next to cell phone (which I didn't do in the first place).

• Standard Twin Room with Sofa

Internet was really really really bad, I had to rely on my 3G connection, as I couldn't use any of the networks in a functional way (I have to admit I didn't complain or asked for fixing of the problem).

Great staff, excellent location, good value for money

I was waiting like 20-25min to get checked in because a receptionist colleague was late to work. But it is ok. WiFi Could be faster.

Very nice hotel. Comfy bed, clean, good shower, room big enough and nice enterior. Friendly staff. Just in front of tram stop and nice area of Amsterdam. I don’t know why so many people complain about this hotel, it’s actually very good one!

They asked to make a copy of my ID although i paid with my credit card , otherwise they would not check me in, because it was "standard"procedure for all customers. This is a breach of GDPR 679/2016.

Location was near my biz event!

I had the worst experience ever, this hotel is infested with Bed Bugs. Shortly after I left the property I start experiencing an itchy sensation on my arms, hands, neck, face, feet and legs. I went to my doctor right away and he confirmed these were a severe case of bed bugs bites. Since I wasn't getting any better I ended up going to the Dermatologist an now I'm on heavy medication to heal the injuries these bugs caused me. I searched on internet and found out that many people complained about bed bugs at this property so this is not new to them. STAY AWAY!

The remote control of the TV was so dirty. I wanted to watch something but it was so dirty that I didn’t bother touching it.

Good location, great staff, comfortable.

the carpet . better cleaning- carpet shampooing. water bottles in the room,

The receptionist lady at the table (from Poland) was extremely kind, courteous, helpful and made the entire experience comfortable and heart warming. We thank her very much for the same.

Put some tea and coffee making facilities in the room!

Great location in a really nice part of town. Excellent local breakfast cafes and a real flavour of Amsterdam away form the cliches of the red light district

• Standard Twin Room with Sofa

There were mice in the room that got in to our luggage ! We were told that we couldn't be moved as they had no way of knowing were the mice would be next! The second night we had mice droppings everywhere and actually saw the mouse! we demanded to be moved. They moved us to a much nicer room. We asked to meet with management but he refused to speak to us. They gave us his email and I wrote a detailed message to him which has not been answered yet (7 days later) I feel we should have been compensated for the awful experience.

Warn them if you plan to check in late. My reservation was apparently cancelled for not checking in before 6 pm - luckily the room was still available and the person at the desk very helpful and understanding.

• Small Double Room

The room was too hot. It was noisy from the street also. The bathroom is a bit dated.

Good location, Welcoming staff at reception, Good breakfast value

The photos of the twin rooms are misleading. Please note this is not a 4 star hotel. The bathroom has no windows so the roof has a lot of mould. No coffee/tea facilities in the room but they have a coffee machine in the breakfast area which you can use - however it did ran out of cups and milk

The beds were comfy, and the room was silent. They held our bags in storage after our check out. Good shower pressure.

one member of our party did find it a little noisy on the road side room of the hotel but to be expected bearing in mind the location, but really not a problem and it was only a minor mention.

I was in charge of a stag party of 10 to sort accommodation in Amsterdam on kingsday, so only a bit of pressure on haha, staff were very helpful, we weren’t supposed to check in until 2pm but we arrived at 9am and the gentleman at reception made a special effort to find somewhere to store our bags, also hats off to Alexandra(sp?) sorting the room situation when we returned at 7-8pm after maybe one or 2 beers on kingsday 🤣 speaking to other people it seems the price was very reasonable as well. Overall a good experience and every member of our party said they’d stay again

• Small Double Room

However, they had problem to their hot water and was not resolved from checked in and checked out as we just stayed overnight. The staff apologise as this is out of their hand until resolve.

Staff are very accommodating and will do their best to support you what you need to enjoy your stay.

They had ticks and blood in the bed linens and never got back to me after I checked out one night earlier. They charged the last night while I checked out and while they said they would not. Never got back to me on 3 mails and complaints...

No Tea coffee facilities in the room More options other than a vending machine Staff need to be up to date was available didn’t no Anything about hop on hop of bus service ect..

• Small Double Room

Staff attitude was "hey ho"if you don't like it don't stay !!!! My friends wife was actually in tears at the state of the place,

This hotel is by far the WORST hotel we have ever stayed in so bad in fact that it didn't even have carpet or anything on the bathroom floor just bare concrete.....

• Small Double Room

My experience with this hotel started out as surprise at the lack of basic things such as hand soap, shower gel, shampoo or a do not disturb sign. The room was small for a double with mould and stains in the bathroom. On the last night of my stay I was disturbed to hear and then see a mouse trying to eat from the bin.

There is nothing to like about this property other than possibly the area it is located in.

• Small Double Room

I personally don’t hate anything but breakfast could be better and it could have different items. For two days same breakfast , not my thing.

Crossiants aren’t my thing but it was okay. I think for the price I paid it was perfect including all fooding, lodgings and main thing is location.

• Small Double Room

The bed was not really cosy and the shower was not closing properly, so most of the water just leaked on the floor.

Super position to go to Amsterdam Rai. Nice staff and quiet room.

• Small Double Room

Some things were old and need replacing. The bathroom heating contraption was ancient, rusty and horrible. The room was adequate the bed very comfortable. The building itself is a bit grim, it was also very hot inside. I felt it was pricey but this is Amsterdam, breakfast was an extra €15 which i felt was too high, so didn't bother.

The staff were very good, helpful and friendly and all spoke excellent English. The breakfast was pricey at €15 so I didn't bother. Free coffee is great though.

There was a room problem, but the staff were super-keen to assist me. The breakfast is expensive at €15, €9 is plenty for a modest hotel. The road might be a little noisy if I was there for holiday, but what do you expect in a city?

Really great reception staff. Lots of local knowledge. Very nice free coffee area for relaxing in the hotel

• Small Double Room

The room was a dark dingy underground basement with tiny frosted windows. The wallpaper was hanging off the walls. The room housed all of the hotels wastepipes so there was a constant sound of toilets flushing. I asked for a refund as I had already pre-paid. This was refused. We checked out after being there for 30 minutes or so.

Nothing. It is the worst hotel I have ever visited anywhere in the world

Upon arrival at about 20:00 the room was not made up and the bed, towels etc. were as the previous guest had left it. Also upon arrival the receptionist told me that breakfast is included, still I had to pay 15 eur upon checkout since it was not included in the eyes of the other receptionist.

Best part: the location close to the RAI.

On arrival back, no cups for the 24/7 coffee. Reception just shrugged his shoulders. Unacceptable. One of the lights didnt work (bulb).we complained. Not fixed in 3 day stay. Unacceptable. Main complaint. Ordered double bed but got 2 singles pushed together. Specifically sent an email before to rectify site error. Mentioned to reception before leaving But not changed.

Reception(ist) on our arrival very pleasant, friendly and informative. Explained that only coffee from a machine was available but 24/7. Some nice bars in immediate area. Easy access to centre on tram 24 we went straight out

The ceiling-mounted heating system (AC) was broken. Instead of fixing it, the hotel put a cheap electrical extra heating radiator into the room. This one was very old and had a bad electrical contact - at times, it would just switch itself off. One had to hold the power cord in a certain way for it to function - a clear fire hazard. Even when the electrical current was not interrupted, the unit didn't work anyway because the thermostat was broken. My first night there was quite cold. The hotel receptionist was very friendly but couldn't do anything about the heating. Then I could switch rooms for my subsequent nights, and the new room was ok if a bit outdated. I will never stay there again, that's for sure!

I was put into and underground room, with almost no natural light. The bathroom was really dark. The heater was making a pounding noise the whole night. The room was turned to an avenue, so there was a lot of noise the entire stay. The Wi-fi signal was SO weak that made it completely useless. No real value for the price.

The Front-desk staff was nice.

• Small Double Room

The bedroom! For two people you require two bedside lights and two bedside tables

The room allocated to us was really only a single room. Only one reading light and only one bedside table and one person slept rammed up against the bathroom wall. Not comfy!

-bathroom was stained with watermarks and rust -shower had no curtain so the entire bathroom would get wet after shower -staff forgot to make my room 2 out of 4 days -room did not have a window that opened -carpet in room was filthy and had many stains -wifi was awful

Friendly staff, good location

Everything would struggle to give this hotel 2stars

Nothing the rooms and interior in reality did not match pictures on your website selling it. Dirty old horrible

The Room is very small and there was a rat in the room which the worst experience ever and the hotel is very basic not 4 or even 3 stars at all I came with car and there is no parking as well

• Small Double Room

to be honest, I really didn't like this hotel, and I am not a very picky person!! the bathroom was really old and looked awful, there was a soap dispenser which was empty and fell apart when I tried to press it. there was a hair/body wash dispenser in the shower (the shower was inside the bath which is never very nice) and there wasn't a lot in there either. no actual shampoo. I am pretty sure it was advertised that there would be tea/coffee making facilities inside the room, which I looked for in every cupboard but found nothing. The bed was quite small and not very comfy, and everything inside looked old. the man at reception when I checked in wasn't very friendly and hardly spoke. there was a lot of noise from outside/the hallways. it wasn't very cheap either, if it was a lot cheaper I wouldn't have minded so much but I paid 76 euros and couldn't even get hand soap. very poor.

didn't like anything apart from the fact that check out was at 12

The pillows were horrible and uncomfortable, the shower took over 5 minutes to heat up, the TV didn't work.

Location was great. Checking in and out was easy.

Just a bit out of Amsterdam centre could of done with a bit closer as we only stayed the one night. We walked everywhere tuck us about 45 mins from the centre to the hotel. There is a tram stop right outside the hotel but was a bit confusing how to get the right one. U had to walk a bit further up to get the one that tuck you to centre. The rooms in hotel was ok could do with a bit of deep cleaning as there was black stains on the carpet and in the bathroom the floor properly could do with a new one putting down. But this wouldn’t put us off to stay again.

Nice and welcoming the receptionist staff at the hotel very helpful. And granted a birthday surprise in the room when we arrived. Upon me emailing them before our visit. The beds were soooo comfy and clean. Nice and easy check in and out I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

The beds were very small, my room was located on a -1 floor so I couldn’t use the window and all I could see through the window was pavement, also for a 4 start hotel I was expecting kettle and glasses but that wasn’t provided

They changed the prices. They charged my credit card and then tried to charge again. When i showed them By bank statement showing i had already paid they still made me Pay again. There was also major water leak from ceiling and no hot water! They also neglected special room request forcing Need for an extra room one of the nights

Centrally located, nice Helpful receptionist

The price for a hotel that so far away from everything I mean there is a tram spot outside is handy but I didn't want to depend on the tram all the time

One of the receptionist tried to help me I can't remember her name but almost everyone else was rude to me even when I was telling them the t.v. in my room didn't work

The decor of the room wasn’t what the pictures were but was still okay and clean.

The shower was amazing, if you like power showers, the beds were really comfy and the staff were really nice. The rooms were sound proof to other rooms so we couldn’t hear any neighbours or anything just the odd slam of a door but that’s normal. I was a bit apprehensive about the location as on the maps it seemed quite far away for the centre but it’s only a 5-10 minute walk to the museums and Heineken museum, then just a bit further from the Heineken is the centre which was a nice surprise. The staff are happy to book you a taxi wherever you need to go which was handy as we didn’t have a local taxi number. Overall really happy with my stay.

• Small Double Room

Shower had no pressure and was cold. there was no toilet paper!!! I attended breakfast at 09:20 and the coffee was cold and the 'egg' station was unmanned

staff great

• Standard Twin Room with Sofa

Carperts had marks all over in rooms. Dirty stagnant water spilt over carpet in room, smelt like sewage. Location is far from centre. Cold shower in first room. Changed rooms and smelly carpet issue. Fittings loose in bathrooms. Wires hanging out of holes in walls. Dated interior.

The matresses on the actual beds were comfy. Rooms were a good size.

it looked all a bit worn off - but I think it was adequate for the price charged

the hotel is located close to RAI which we were looking for, all in walking distance, also shops and restaurants in the neighborhood. beds were very comfy, room a bit cool

Small room Heating didn't work Extra heating devices didn't work and were extremely dangerous when connected to power Ugly uncomfortable, feeling dirty bathroom One small window in room

• Small Double Room

The only thing I think the hotel could benefit from is having tea and coffee in the rooms..... there was free down stairs but was told by kitchen staff not to use which was very annoying

Lovely hotel, great location, very peaceful sleep ..... very clean

I book for a queen size bed and they gave me a double bedroom! El aire acondicionado funcionaba mal. Air conditioning system works badly, the heat needed 1 hour to start

Que sea una habitación acustizada! Isolated bedroom

After our first stay we happily booked hotel savoy again, as the service was good, the only problem we had was they didn’t give us a double bed the first time. When we booked we made sure to select double room, on our arrival we were given a room and the room again was lovely (much like our first room) but had two single beds again, we then went down stairs and asked to be moved to a double room, they then did that this wasn’t what I had booked, I showed them a screen shot on my phone to prove otherwise, so they reluctantly moved us to another room, this room was on the top floor and the best description of the location would be that it was like a maids room from years ago, anyway there was a double bed, but there was a patio like door at the bottom of the room, this door looked directly into the people on the other side of the buildings room, that door also let in a terrible draft that I had to block with towels, the walls were extremely dusty, the skirting boards around the carpet had fallen off, and the shower was TINY, all of that was fine as we had complained and the original room was fine, the thing that topped it off and made me write this is the room STANK it smelled of a mixture between a drain and a sewer, the smell must have been coming from the shower, we realised if we ran the shower every few hours the smell didn’t come back. I have very mixed opinions about this hotel, we learned don’t complain about a nice room with two single beds and your stay will be fine

We stayed in hotel savoy twice over the space of a week as our flight was cancelled ands we had to stay for an additional 3 days, our first room had a nice view of the street below us (not much to see, but it was something to look at) the room was lovely and had a very big, powerful shower, the only problem we had with the first room was that we asked for a double bed and they gave us a two room.

Airco control was broken. I could only switch on/off. Bathroom looked moldy (but could have been impact of cleaning products as well. Hotel marks outside 4 star, but it does not merit that.

Close to where I needed to be

• Standard Twin Room with Sofa

The air conditioning was making an incredible noise...there were couple of bulb lights missing....the room was very dark...the bathroom is very very small...no place to put the clothes or the towels while taking shower...no coffee/tea in the room... The staff not too friendly.. I will definetly not go there again.

Bathroom was dirty with water on the floor on arrival, carpet in the room not clean, not hoovered, no bottled shower gel/soap, overall cleanliness was not there, so did not eat there. It was more like 2* and not the 4* advertised. Felt cheated.

• Small Double Room

The fact that I booked a room of 2 single beds but as my friend arrived earlier she was given a double- bed room instead. It would be great if we were given the same room we saw when we booked it, unless you want to come closer with your friends. Thanks

The stuff was very helpful to search on the internet and provide us printed instructions of the locations we asked how to visit. Although my friend arrived very early in the morning, the stuff allowed her an early check In.

It was advertised as a 4 star hotel. It was 2.5 at best and doesn't warrant the price. Also I booked understand I could cancel, but didn't realize for a fee that is the same as paying full price. They weren't willing to swap the days by one. Besides that it wasn't too bad...but definitely not 4 stars.

The staff was wonderful,the bed comfortable, and the room was clean.

• Small Double Room

Very dirty, open electric wires, everything looked old and there was a smell of cigarettes everywhere. Bed and duvet was not nice. No shampoo etc.

Nice area

• Small Double Room

Shower had a small glass separator, meaning bathroom could be easily flooded if not carefull while showering.

Comfortable bed and great location. Close to public transportation including trains.

The worse Hotel ever I been, a fake 4* on Booking.com, they are even not 2* standers, Iam a regular traveler, I never seen a 4* Hotel like this one. Everything falling a part, room are not probably clean, no WiFi signal. And cost too much. We booked 4 room and all was same. I paid £113 for one night for each room but no facilities compare the value.

The room was loud on the ground floor with no privacy, having requested a quiet room. The beds were extremely uncomfortable even though we requested a double bed. The shower was mouldy on the floor and around the ceiling - it was sincerely disgusting to shower in. We felt completely robbed of our money for what we got given.

There is nice places for brunch in the area, that's really about it.

Beautifull view of 1921 catholic church from shared balcony. I had a simple single room. Comfortably furnished. Great accesibility via public transport. Kind stuff.

• Small Double Room

I was really disappointed by my stay at this hotel. I had booked a special weekend away for my boyfriend's 30th birthday and was hoping for a romantic stay and was frankly really upset by this hotel. It was shabby and it was over-priced. Our bathroom wasn't cleaned once in the three days we stayed, our towels weren't changed, the shower was weak - and this is a four star hotel!!! I'm frankly furious with Booking.com for even recommending this place in the first place.

Convenient location

Its not worth four stars. Wifi did not work well. Rooms are very small and the bathroom shower does not keep the water in, the bathroom floor becomes a lake.

The payment was taken from my account when I booked 2 months prior. I was told I could pay on the day and when got in contact with the hotel about the situation (I couldnt afford to pay the full amount at that moment and was now in a bad financial situation)the hotel were very rude to me and treated me like i was an idiot, they offered no solution and said i should have read the small print

So we paid about 200 Euros per night for each of the rooms. Firstly, we were give a room with a bathroom with no bath or tiles on the floor of what you will call the shower room. It was disgusting. We asked if we could be moved. They offered a room by the door or in the basement!!! The basement must be for animals so we refused. The room by the door was literally at the entrance so essentially you will be the watchman/security for the night. As you can imagine we didn't take them up on the offer that night. The next night we were moved to a room with a bath. Well the double bed in the room was a paediatric double bed! The bath had rusts all over it and the room was still old, unclean and just without any spirit. The room which my sisters had (wait for it) had bedbugs or a variety of that blood sucking insect!!! They were bitten to death. The room was dirty and the mattress had a great big stain on it - someone had clearly urinated on it. It was disgusting. This hotel is apparently a 4 star simply because it provided a non functional fridge and a television with a few channels. I am confused. The hotel will have to pay us to stay here ever again and even at that, we will refuse. This hotel is to be avoided. If you have booked, ask for a refund!! It's unfair to take such an amount from people for this nonsense!!!

The location is great!

Hotel from a couple of decades back - old furniture, little destroyed bathrooms - a shower that had a ripping off silver layer (and I cut my finger against it) as well as rust on the floor and bath, wall that had a hole in it. Broken sink Very narrow beds - difficult to sleep as a couple as the both beds are apart.

Location quite good for visiting museums quarter or Heineken museum or starting the canal cruise.

• Standard Twin Room with Sofa

Where do I begin? I don't usually write reviews but this is NOT a four star! It is over-priced and has nothing to offer. The staff were less than helpful, the room we were initially offered was strangely in the basement and totally damp! After reluctantly changing our room, the new room (like all rooms in this hotel) had no tea or coffee making facilities and the TV had no signal; and therefore no picture! There was wifi but it was intermittent. Our advice would be: don't stay here! Spend your hard earned cash on somewhere else.

There wasn't much to like about this hotel. It was very, very basic - literally a bed and a shower. However, it was located conveniently for the tram and had some nice bars and restaurants close by. Given the hotel is next door to the Police Station you can assume the area is pretty safe.

Great place, confortable beds, clean rooms...totally recommended. The localization is close to the museums and is more quiet than more centrum hotels.

• Small Double Room

Everything in the room, light was hanging out from the roof, one panel of shower door missing, Towel was worn and shredded, Unhelpful staff, could find my room and no labels anywhere, Internet connection didn't work....

Only the location was great, everything was severely sub par.

• Standard Twin Room with Sofa

The hotel itself is suboptimal. The room was run down, the carpet full of stains and the convertible used as third bed had hardly any mattress in it. Very uncomfortable. The room is NOT soundproof.

The receptionists were friendly. The location is good.

The rooms were tiny and the towels in the bathroom were small threadbare and pathetic. The staff wont allow you to check in before 2pm even if you arrive at 145pm! Yes you allow people to leave your bags but You could let people check in so they can come back and give a key later. It says 4 star. No room service and no real facilities and it isn't cheap! Free internet but it's super slow! Sorry I was just underwhelmed.

There were a couple staff members late at night that seemed a bit irritable, but everyone else was wonderful.

The location was excellent, everyone was very helpful. We felt safe, comfortable, clean, and happy! We extended our stay last minute and the hotel was more than accommodating, would highly recommend.

Poorly maintained facilities, damaged power outlets with protective covers removed (leaving live sockets exposed), unprofessional night porters. Paper, hand-scrawled signage describing several facilities as "Defect", such as a single slot on a two slot toaster for breakfast (seriously, at a pinch, how much would it cost to get a domestic toaster while the industrial one is being replaced?) other breakfast equipment (such as a chilled cabinet) are "repaired" with sellotape. Pre-purchase price of breakfast (via booking.com) €15 per morning, but if purchased at reception, €10 per morning.

Location was convenient for the purpose of the visit. Reception staff (which happened to be there when I was checking in) pleasant.

• Small Double Room

The rooms were not clean. Everything is old and my room reeked (the carpet) with bad odor. What is worse, one is willing to ignore all this if the staff is polite. The staff on reception is very rude. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Only good walking distance from Amsterdam RAI

No soap in bathroom, no coffee making facilities in the room

The staff were excellent and really helpful, the bed was very comfy. The shower was great (once id got the hang of it) the rooms were clean and had a fridge in the room to keep drinks cool.

• Small Double Room

I would propose a course for one of the yound females at the desk in order to learnd how to treat clients.

Very kind male at the fron office, he solved my problem about the room, that ws originally given by a lady (see below), located in the basement and very bad and sad.

Breakfast very poor. Disposable spoons were used for your coffee. Tables were not clean even though it was quiet. Newspapers in the breakfast room were 3 days or older. Missed the passion and warm welcoming attitude from the staff

Browse Savoy Hotel Amsterdam traveller photo gallery