Reviews of Hilton Amsterdam 5 stars

Apollolaan 138, Oud Zuid, 1077 BG Amsterdam, Netherlands

#134 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

There was a fitness centre an sauna but no pool.. other than that facilities are good

Service at this hotel is excellent! Staff very friendly.. the food amazing .. would highly recommend

• King Deluxe Room with Canal View

While we had a very enjoyable stay we had an unfortunate experience before arriving. I called up the Hilton to check that we could have a baby bed. I had booked this hotel specifically due to the availability of a cot for my daughter. When I called to check our cot request with the hotel I was told " yes the cot is subject to availability and what do you want me to do about it if there is not one available ??" he also said repeatedly " I have no mechanism to do what you are asking". I was made to feel "second class" due to the fact we had used booking. com.

Lovely bar, restaurant terrace. Staff were friendly and very attentive once we arrived at the hotel

The staff were not engaging or helpful, its overpriced and location is far from convenient and takes some footwork and tram ride to the center of Amsterdam, please don't book the Kings suit and expect anything special!

comfortable and clean

Can't think of a thing.

We arrived after midnight local time and the staff had our room ready and actually gave us an upgrade due to being Hilton Honors members. We ordered room service that was prompt even at the late hour.

• Grand Deluxe King Room

Room service very overpriced for low quality / low-grade food. Recommend buying high quality food for the prices your charging patrons and invest in culinary training for staff in proper food preparation and plating techniques. Also, had to return the milk my son ordered as it tasted bad and almost made him throw up. 2. The heater was not working in the room. The maintenance was unable to fix and brought in a portable heater to place by bedside. 3. The bed mattress was extremely hard and was like sleeping on concrete. The couch in the room was also very uncomfortable and hard as well. Tossed and turned trying to sleep on very uncomfortable hard mattress. 4. The towels were stiff and felt like sand paper. If you like getting out of the shower to stiff towels instead of fluffy high quality towels, then you’ll enjoy this hotel.

1. The staff was very friendly and courteous 2. The maid service was excellent and she cleaned the room beautifully.

Check in time could have been earlir .We came straight from airport and had to wait.

The lakeside outside area was lovely .The location was very nice .The Concierge service was wonderful !

I understand that mini-bar prices are higher than normal, but 7.50 euros for a bottle of still water? You gotta be f***ng kidding me.

The hotel looks very old-fashioned that is appealing to me.

Cannot think of anything.

The service was on point the staff helpful and friendly the breakfast was lovely. Great location not too far from anywhere but quiet enough to enjoy.

• King Executive Room

View of the car park- I feel that hotel would please more leisure travellers if they allocated canal view rooms to this group. Roberto restaurant overpriced and food average compared to the great Italian restaurant 10 minutes walk from the hotel. They need to do more for the non corporate guests.

The location was our choice and was quiet but was handy for the tram into the centre. Good choice for breakfast and executive lounge service between 5.30 and 7.30 was good.

• King Deluxe Room with Canal View

the batroom wasn't on par with what I payed. The receptionist was unfriendly and she tried to give us a more expensive room blaming the system. Position is uncomfortable.

• Grand Deluxe King Room

Booked 2 large rooms 40sq and couldn’t put extra bed although it’s written allowed at the end i had to book one more room + requested rooms next to each other not in two different floors

Room size, breakfast and concierge

• King Deluxe Family Room - Connecting Doors

We arrived on Easter Sunday and the brunch was sold out and no other options for food available.

Delicious breakfast served daily (except the Holiday Sunday) at the restaurant. Friendly, courteous staff. We had a family room (adjoining king + two twins) and it was perfect. A little further from downtown but the extra space was worth it, and easy enough to hop on the tram for 10-15 mins to get everywhere

The hotel is very far from the Centre of Amsterdam . Too far for tourist things and to get in and out of the city Centre and it was expensive to catch taxis! For what we were wanting it was not ideal

We don't have a credit card so we had to put money upfront for the room, which left us short for cash on the holiday, also when the money was given back we received euros and not sterling

Really enjoyed our time in amsterdam and the hotel made it even better, friendly staff and the hotel was glorious

• Twin Deluxe Guest Room

I think the interior of the room could be revised, there are many different hotels with more modern decor and when I stay in the Hilton I expect it to be better then other hotels.

Staff where helpful and informative, and I enjoyed a nice strong coffee which was available in my room

The advertised large double bed was actually infact two twin single beds just pushed together! For one small glass of cold milk I was charged 9 euros (yes you read that correctly nine euros) for a small glass of milk by this hotel. Simply outrageous !

• Twin Deluxe Guest Room

How far it was away from main area shops restaurants and how misleading it was on website

Beautiful hotel but staff not very helpful and it is €20 in taxi to main Dam square .

Super close to the tram and was able to get into the city center area within 5 minutes! Super safe location and lots of food places within walking distance from the hotel! Hotel has a beautiful view of the canal!

• King Deluxe Plus Room

We had a room close to the elevator - big mistake. Heard the elevators everytime they went up and down, like a train passing outside the room. The cleaning lady came in after breakfast and - obviously - Said something about putting a ”do not disturb” sign outside our room. We never heard, Resulting in our room not being cleaned when we returned. Finally, the day of departure we had been informed the local train would go continuously after 7 so we could reach central station. It did not hence we had to throw away the train tickets and in quite a panic Call for taxi to take us so we didnt miss our flight. Bad info and loss of money.

Overall the room and breakfast was ok.

It's an older hotel they had Hair on the tub, dirty sink, garbage on the sofa (cigarette wrap) and water pot full of gunk and dirt. The staff also believed that I should've reported every single complains so they could have done something about it. I understand that they wanted to know about it so they could correct it, but there's a reason why you're a 5 star rated hotel. Your rooms should be well presented before you let your guest come in. There was a hair on a tub (now do I get the phone and ring them? No, I did not because it was something I can spray water onto and will be washed away) the same reason why I didn't have to call them that there is a cigarette wrapper on the sofa because I can just easily pick it up and throw in the trash can. I am not the type of person who sees a garbage in front of me then call someone from house keeping wait for them to come in my room just so they can throw it away for me. Like seriously? NO! So, when I started using their dirty sink, do I go and use the phone again just to complain? Maybe other people do! But I am NOT COMFORTABLE with complaining that's the reason why I stayed in a 5 star rated hotel! Water pot was full of gunks and loosed tea from a teabag or something. There I should've just asked for another water pot right? But my whole mood just went from exited about the trip to pissed! Now, do I wanna make a scene? or enjoy my vacation outside of the hotel? So we left! I just wanted to enjoy my vacation, I shouldn't have to complain about ANYTHING in the first place! Not mentioning that they let construction workers work right next to our room or within our vent area where me and my husband jumped off of the bed from a deep sleep at 9am sharp! WE WERE SLEEPING FOR GODS SAKE! Imagine being in a deep sleep and tired from walking around the city center and be woken up by an electrical drilling sound really close to your ear! That's how it sounded like.

I liked the room and the balcony except it was dirty and they allowed a construction company working during our stay.

This is not a cheap hotel. The experience however really doesn't match the price. Bed was almost comfortable. Bed springs poke every once in a while. Towels and robes were clean but very rough. As if they need a lot of fabric softener. Biggest disappointment was the room service. In-room service food quality was very bad, food arrived cold, drinks arrived warm temperature and the food was not delicious. I can easily say the very dry club sandwich I ordered for the first night and the cold pizza with the almost raw mushrooms on top the second night were one the worst I've had yet. Looking at the prices on that menu, that quality is unacceptable as I ended up paying over €80 for these dishes. Had issues with shower, it was either extremely hot water or cold. Took a lot of fiddling in between showering to stop from freezing or burning.

Rooms are clean. Staff was pleasant. Previously I have read some reviews regarding the WiFi quality and I have to say, I had no issues although it's not free in the rooms unless you sign up for the Hhonors program (Basically you subscribe to newsletters) or pay for it daily.

Was not told a deposit of €135 was needed upon check in. Room was paid before arrival and this deposit, although returned on departure did affect our budget during our stay.

The room was lovely, service, housekeeping etc second to none

I was given a dusty room. It was told it’s been cleaned for me because I wanted to check in early and paid extra for early checking.

Very good. Many options

I don't have any remarks.

Hotel is a bit older, but everything is in nice shape and very clean. Room is spacious with a very fast internet and the breakfast is excellent. The location of hotel is great, you can take a nice walk to the centre or you can hop on the tram 2 block away from the hotel. Going to/from airport is very easy, just one station with the train from the airport and a nice 10minute walk to the hotel. The area around the hotel is very nice, with some nice Restaurants and shops.

• King Deluxe Plus Room

Shower was terrible. The water temperature would go to extremely hot, then to normal, then to too cold in just a minute, and then start the cycle over again. Impossible to take a relaxing shower like this. The area around the hotel is nice, but too far from the city center. The room is just a little bigger than cheaper hotels. Definitely not worth the extra cost.

• King Executive Room

Very happy! Just something to possibly approve in the executive Lounge breakfast was amazing , snacks throughout the day could of been a little better! Maybe some kind of rolls or croissants left out through day time and more drink choice ( non alcoholic during the day ) cocktail bar or bartender to be added would be amazing idea

Our service we received was excellent so polite professional and friendly, remembered my name everytime giving it that personal touch experience The door man was always ready to carry your bag or open the door Excellent

Better value for money. Not really up to 5 star standards like other Hilton's I have been to. Tv not in English and bathroom had stain in shower from previous mat.

The view of the town from the room was quite nice

Prices were extortionate, bit of a walk to get to public transport, hard to get back from Central Amsterdam after the Metro finishes

Clean, comfortable beds, nice outdoors area for smokers, friendly staff

• King Junior Suite

It was a little bit far from central Amsterdam but the walks did us good. Genuinely other than that I haven't got a bad word to say about the place! It is fantastic.

Everything. The staff, the food, the room, the views, couldn't ask for any more! Everyone was so friendly and accommodating to us, it was a dream come true for me and my girlfriend.

Older hotel, room was ok, not uncomfortable, but just ok. Bathroom wasn't as clean as I expected. Other European hotels provide a "smokers room" that provides a place to smoke, that is warm with TV.

Hotel looks dated Room not cleaned thoroughly (compared to other hotels we stayed at) Location not very convenient

Good service from staff Baby was on a rampage during NYE dinner at Roberto’s and it was very kind of them to grant our request to have the rest of the meal delivered to our room. Bar was fun and we enjoyed the food and drinks by the fireplace. Baby enjoyed it too.

• King Deluxe Room with Canal View

For New Years Eve this is the place to be , in a canal view room , at least 7th floor. There is no way to describe the Amsterdam experience.except to say Fantastic! Room service food is delicious and they give you plenty to eat so finding restaurants for the evening and morning wasn’t an issue. So romantic eating with a canal view as fireworks fill every inch of the sky!

Edgar in restaurant Was great , Thanks to hotel team also , it Was my wife’s birthday and they sent champagne to our room , the stuff is great in the hotel

When we got to the hotel there was a 200 Euro deposit on the room. We did not have the cash or a credit card to put it on. So we used our debit card. And on check out we received the cash back and lost 20 Euro in tax. Also when we booked though booking.Com it was made out to be free cancellation breakfast included. And full payment on arrival. Non of that was true.

We liked the room. Nice staff.

Hotel is a bit dated but it’s authentic. Just maybe needs a little updating with carpets etc

Staff couldn't do enough and were amazing. They knew it was my wifes birthday from her passport so sent up a bottle of prosecco and a birthday cake. Was lovely of them and very much appreciated!

• King Deluxe Plus Room

parking on weekend outside of hotel parking is cheaper--Sunday free--saturday after 21.00 free staff did not give this information to guests-although we asked for it warm-cold water adjustment needs professionalism--not possible

wonderful breakfast--easy to walk to city nice lobby

I won’t be recommending this hotel to friends or family. Location is to far from the main area. Very quiet and not much on at the hotel. The staff not helpful. Charge extra £150 on arrival and taxes extra. Don’t refund on debit card only euros not Impressed. I am a Hilton honours member and did not enjoy my stay

The room was nice and clean and spacious

I booked via booking.com and although I have HH membership, I cold not get free Wi-Fi. Service at the breakfast was not the best

The bed was very comfortable but it gets cold at night if you switch off the AC

• King Deluxe Family Room - Connecting Doors

There was no Free WIFI, you had to pay an extra 8Euro per day. Very disappointed by that. The girl at the reception did a mis match of our room. To bad for what we had to pay. But the property itself is located in a quiet place of the city, especially the back yard it has a very beautiful view.

• King Deluxe Room with Canal View

Well presented hotel, helpful staff,great jazz music on Friday nights, beautifully decorated bedrooms however it’s a fair walk to central Amsterdam .overall my husband and I enjoyed every minute.Thank you booking.com

Room was perfect and hotel looks great with a lot of facilities. No good to have to pay for the parking. Location was also not the best one. But at the end it was an excellent hotel.

• King Junior Suite

The weather, it rained every day.

Great location, large comfortable room, good food great breakfast, but best of all was the friendly helpful staff who made our stay extra special. Will definitely come back.

The only downside, which is about Amsterdam hotels generally and the weakness of the £, is that it was a bit more expensive than I would have liked!!

The staff were extremely warm and helpful. It was one of our groups birthday and they made a huge fuss of her - prosseco and flowers in the room and sparklers on birthday breakfast dish. Very lovely. I also liked the location as it affords a lovely walk into the Centre especially the designer shops! It's also in a very affluent part of town so quiet and classy! But of interesting trivia is that its where John & Yoko had their 'Make Love not War' bed-in!!

Location, breakfast, nice view, lounge bar, value for price, clean rooms, business desk and chair in the room for working, iron and coffee machine in the room, Hotel marina (I came by boat)

A couple of updates in the room required but nothing major. It did nkt ruin our stay

Hotel is very big. Lovely views looking over the canal and the museum district. The hotel is in the lovely Oud Zuid district and is very pleasant for walking around. Five minute walk to the tram links and a 10/15 minute tram ride to Dam Square. The breakfast at the hotel was delicious and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Twin Deluxe Plus Room

the room furniture is outdated, the temperature of the air-condition in the room is set at a certain level which does not allow the guest to select the temperature he or she desire (controlled A\C by the hotel). the shower has a curtain which is trully out dated and i for a long time have't seen a 5 stars hotel still use such a thing .

the hotel location is good.

Location. Having to jump into a bathtub for a shower. Expensive. Two single beds in my room pushed together to make one bigger bed (I was alone in the room).

• King Executive Room

Superb buffet selection at breakfast. Extremely efficient and friendly staff. The outside terrace overlooking a canal was so relaxing and the meals served excellent.

Considering the hotel had it's own car park, which was fairly empty, the €35 a day was a bit steep as a guest in the hotel and even more of an insult when we found out it was free to park on the street on a Sunday but the hotel car park still charged. Spent 3 nights at hotel and ended up paying €120 for parking!

Very lovely breakfasts with good choice and extremely comfortable beds, staff very friendly and very helpful.

• Twin Executive Room

The hotel is shabby. The bathroom had a heavy layer of mould. It was extremely overpriced for something so poorly maintained.

The area is quiet and relaxing.

• Twin Deluxe Guest Room

Older building looks a little bit dated from the outside.

Good location, quiet, clean. Nice views. Tram stops nearby to travel to centre and museums easily. Easy to get to train and airport.

The room was really dusty and you could see it all settled on the wooden furniture. Water didn't go down the bath hole very quickly so you had a pool of water in the tub while you showered. Also had a gardener cleaning the garden with equipment at 8am which woke us up followed by a member of staff banging loudly on our door shouting good morning just to pass us out invoice which could have been posted under the door or given to us at check out time.

Very comfortable bed and spacious room. Staff are friendly and attentive. There is a very nice lobby and outdoor seating area overlooking the canal which is very relaxing. Tram line is a 5 to 10 minute walk away and all major attractions are easy to get to from tram 5.

• King Deluxe Room with Canal View

The schooner-bar was not open during hours it should have.

I've been staying there offs-and-on for 50+ years. Always love the spaciousness, friendliness, location, stay on a quiet canal. Rooms are not large but easy to move around with a baby-bed.

• Twin Deluxe with Canal View

The only thing we didn't like was leaving

The staff members are world class. Amazing view in the king junior suite (balcony), comfortable massive bed and a big thank you for the complimentary honeymoon cake and drinks. We shall return

Roberto's restaurant in the evening - no option for eating inside, sandwiched between other diners, no privacy. Staff unfriendly. Menu poor. Took away appetisers/bread while my husband was eating these. Very expensive. And smoking permitted

Breakfast was excellent, so much choice and waiting staff friendly and helpful.

This isn't a 5 star hotel, more like a 4 star. We were right next to the lifts. Our room was not ready on arrival, despite arriving 30 minutes after check-in. Bar prices were extortionate and to top it all off, they had messed up my bill and charged me almost an extra 300 pounds! The lady on reception was apologetic and I was reimbursed but I am still very unhappy. They blamed Booking.com so I will be making a formal complaint.

The staff were friendly and the location was lovely. The rooms are comfortable enough. We were provided with flowers, prosecco and a cake for our anniversary which was lovely. The rooms are made up daily.

Rather expensive for my small dog. I thought 30 Euros was far too much on top of the price of the already quite expensive room.

Good location and nice for a walk around the random outdoor art pieces nearby. Good neighbourhood and good access to city centre by tram (number 5 and number 24) Some decent restaurants within walking distance to enjoy a breakfast for less than half of the hotel price. Would stay there again for sure.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• King Deluxe Room with Canal View

Tram number 16 is currently being reconstructed so there is a long walk to the other trams serving the area. The breakfast is far too expensive for people who just want coffee and a croissant and the coffee bar is closed on weekends.

This is one of the few hotels in Amsterdam where you can park your car easily although you will have to sell one of your children to pay the bill. We first visited this hotel in 1970, the year after John Lennon and Yoko made it famous and back then it was considered a luxury hotel. Unfortunately, it hasn't changed much and you still have to climb in the tub to shower and the rooms are still the same size. We had a canal view room and it does have a wonderful view of Amsterdam but to be honest, this is probably the most expensive Hilton we have ever stayed in and really you are paying for the parking lot because nothing else warrants the rate they charge. The hotel is in an upmarket neighborhood and there are a lot of restaurants within a few minutes walk. If you don't have a car, there are probably a lot better options for less money.

• King Executive Plus Room

No pool.

Large room. Awesome breakfast! Waffles & smoothie were the best. Lovely back terrace canal area. Very accommodating staff. Staff was wonderful!

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

• King Deluxe Room with Canal View

I have upgraded my booking to executive room to get the benefit of lounge, unfortunately the drinks and food is not provided full time, only in the meals time you can get drink. What I do recommend is to grant a food and drinks as long as the lounge is opened.

I like the whole property in general. Everything was great and convenient.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

• King Deluxe Room with Canal View

Euro35 to go to city center. Trams is still a fair distance to walk in rain.

Too far away from city center. Tram tickets ran out at the concierge desk. There were hardly any decent restaurants around. Robertos on premise was excellent but be prepared for steep price. It is well worth it if it is a one off treat. Second day went to neighboring hotel restaurant and this was a mistake. Breakfast - staff were helpful & friendly. Like the time spread for breakfast. Take your pace and no one there to rush you around. 7am to 11am on weekends - Wow, thanks for letting me sleep in. Lots to choose from. Be prepared for the buffet spread in a large area. Walking distance from buffet to the table can be a long walk for our elderly. Both mornings I was there, cereal bowl run out and had to wait for bowl & spoon. Taxi voucher Euro35 to airport - well worth it. Hassle free

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

• Twin Deluxe Guest Room

Old school outdated and very expensive for what it is. Need refurb and new concept overall.

The staff at front desk and breakfast were very nice and very attentive.

n/a

Beautiful decor, excellent staff, clean room comfortable bed,fantastic food, delicious breakfast experience. Walk or tram to rijkmuseum and city centre.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Cost of 2 local phone calls was 23+ euros.

Very nice room and bathroom. 5 blocks from a major tram route. Walkable to many sightseeing spots. Very nice breakfast which was included.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

The room was very noisy! You could actually hear the elevators moving day and night because the noisy from the elevators came through the pipes of the air conditioning right into the room. This was extremely annoying especially at night. The breakfast (27 EUR) was overpriced. The furniture in the room looked pretty shabby and out-dated. Considering the amount I paid, it was definitely not worth the money.

I liked the view from the room overviewing the city and the location in the south of Amsterdam not far from the city centre.

• Twin Executive Plus Room

We booked 2 executive plus twin rooms for 2 people in one room and 3 in another. The extra bed was put in the smaller room instead of in the bigger room which was very spacious.

The breakfast was sumptuous.They even had chia seeds and pomegranate.

• Twin Deluxe Guest Room

why charge for wifi ?the signal was bad. we also got a invoice under the door for mini bar we didn't use except keeping strawberries in the fridge, the city tax wasn't mentioned when we booked. we have been to many other plush hotels and haven't paid so much as we did on this one , they don't need to charge so much

the hotel was lovely very clean and modern , staff were lovely aswell the only downfall was the city tax we had to pay 135euros on a credit card which we have to wait upto 10 days to get back; and paid 795 euro each day for wifi and signal very poor. come on HILTON the prices you charge you could do free wifi and this city tax ? weve been all over Europe and not paid this

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

No walk in shower in our £200/night room. Only shower over bath, with nylon curtain. Would need to pay more for upgrade if you can't climb into bath. BE AWARE there are currently major roadworks going on to the north of hotel which means convenient travel is more difficult. Will last a few weeks - be prepared to walk or cycle!

King size bed in deluxe room with great view of city. Hotel in quiet select area near museums and Voldenpark. Follow road to right of hotel for high end shops etc and great Italian Restaurant for pizza/pasta at good price. Staff in hotel very helpful and efficient.

• King Junior Suite

Bad breakfast,had to wait in line to get seated,some basic things were missing. Bad turndown/maid service,knoking on the door and shouting,entering within 3 seconds if you did not answer the door immediately,totally unacceptable and nerving behaviour! Not in the center,taxi to get to the center was between 12-20 Euros one way. Booked a corner suite,the bathroom was smaller than in standard rooms in other hotels.

Nice view over a canal. Detached and rather quiet area.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• King Deluxe Room with Canal View

Sadly, my partner and I experienced an uncomfortable moment on Wed evening -19th April at Robertos. We did arrive late for dinner at 10.15pm. At the door we stated we wished to sit down to a meal and were invited to a table. Sadly, we felt we were rushed to make a decision on our meals, the waiter was initially quite abrupt and his body language indicated we were a bother to him. He did, however, warm in his manners towards my partner and I after we made an extra effort to be pleasant to him. (Guilt - methinks) If the kitchen was closed at the time of our arrival (10.15pm), then my partner and I would have been more than understanding if we were advised this, and ordered room service. At a cost of 185euros, the ambience did not meet this cost.

Staff were professional in manner, helpful with questions and always willing to give a friendly smile. Very happy with customerservice standards. (I am a retired manager and know the value of staff enhancing a business reputation through their presentation)

The meniu of the restaurant has only few ways of food, not varied The price was to much for very small portions of food Old furniture in room!!! All old in bathroom!! And they take deposit of 220euro on I make the chekin!!! Nobody tell us when I make the reservation!!!

I like cleaning of the room and breakfast !!!

Was a beautiful area but away from all the shops and restaurants. Had to travel a little bit to get to the centre of town.

The staff were very helpful with directions in and around Amsterdam, there was gentleman from Hong Kong behind reception who was really wonderful and made our stay superb.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

They lied and said it was only 5 min away from town centre which turned out to be 45 min and cost us a lot For cab every time we went out staff then said we had to stay there or we get charged anyway even know we stated they said It was close to town

• Twin Deluxe Guest Room

The pillows are too soft & have no substance No pool Away from city highlights but being in a quieter area was attractive to me

Clean & comfortable Lovely outlook over canal Attractive beer garden Late checkout no problem

We wanted to check out late but the late check out fee was extortianate just for a few more hours. I would understand if we actually stayed another night but not a fee of €99 tons pend half a day there! Apart from that excellent stay.

The staff were extremely accommodating and the bed was so comfy - very easy to have that much needed lie in. We had a lovely weekend.

Browse Hilton Amsterdam traveller photo gallery