Reviews of Budget Hotel Ben 1 stars

#396 of 449 hotels in Amsterdam

5.5

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

It was very close to the central station

It had very steep stairs and in my opinion it is not suitable for more senior travelers. It was not at all noise-proof either. Suitable for young people

It was very close to the central station

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

Staff was friendly and helpful.

Little bit too expensive.

Staff was friendly and helpful. Perfect location, central area of Amsterdam. If you need just a place to sleep over night, then this is it what are looking for.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Great welcome clean very close to centre our room was very noisy

Noise outside window was incredibly loud but it was close to red light district opposite an irish bar but amazing value for money

Close to centre able to book in early basic room but clean and cheap

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

The Best location!

The 2nd room we had was up A LOT of stairs, but the view from the room was amazing and totally worth the effort!!

Fantastic lotcation. Cheap price. Helpful staff. We stupidly missed our flight and hotel Ben (although basically full to copacity) sorted a room out for me and my 2 friends with basically no notice & at a great rate! Clean and cheap... So pleased and so grateful! Thank you Hotel Ben :)

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

i like the location its really near to the trainstation and...

its hard to go upstairs cos theres no elevator .

i like the location its really near to the trainstation and the redlights and canals and everything :)

Location near to train station

Have to pay using cash due to the machine not working

Overall is ok..comfortable & clean.. really near to the train station..very convenience for us..near to tourist attactions place

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

We enjoid it

But very small room, without natural light, bad bathroom (all the time was wet). Very very small bathroom without equipment (hair dryer, carpet in front of the bathroom - when you have wet bathrooom, its so comfortable,...). We have double bedroom, bud it was two single bed together. In the night we have big hole between us.

Nice place, near train station, sympatic staff, room was clean.

Cheap and clean
    • Family Room (5 Adults)

The hotel is in a great central location and a 5 minute walk from Amsterdam Central station. As advertised, the rooms were clean and had everything needed for a short stay (towels/clean bedding/private shower and toilet/tv/WiFi). The hotel is not the height of luxury however it is what to be expected for the price and we were very pleased on arrival. The staff were very friendly and allowed us to store our bags before and after checking in/out. Overall, I would definitely recommend this place as the price is excellent and we were very happy with our room. I would recommend booking a room for 1 extra person than going, for example a room for 4 people for a group of 3, just for the extra space.

STEER CLEAR OF HERE!

Everything! I had bites on my ankles an elbows from the bed!😠 no facilities in the room HATED STAYING THERE...WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOVEL TO ANYONE!

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

No elevator meaning we climbed three flights of really steep stairs. Not a good option if you have lots of luggage, or have accessibility needs.

Location. Location. Location. Close to the train station, and to many late night restaurants/food options. Somewhat noisy, but to be expected being on the edge of the Red Light district.

It’s very cozy, it’s right in the center, so if you want...

It is located by a Church which plays quite often during the Day.

It’s very cozy, it’s right in the center, so if you want whether you want to shop or get some food, it’s all within walking distance. The central station is also located about 500 meters from the hotel.

Knew we weren’t going to live in luxury for the weekend but was good enough to crash every night.
    • Family Room (5 Adults)

The church bells going off every half hour from 9am, and all day on Saturday.

For the loacation and for about £50 per person per night you can’t really complain about the room

Clean, central and good for a short stay.
    • Family Room (5 Adults)

I didn't like that you have to pay a security deposit and it hasn't been returned to me yet and was taken the day I booked. No-one informed me of this before-hand which wasn't very practical. Booking.com aren't great at dealing with issues regarding this either.

As a group of 5 we were able to stay in the same room. It's clean and the staff were nice. Close to all the nightlife and centre. 5 minutes walk from Central station.

Hotel Ben Nevis
    • Quadruple Room

Extremely steep steps to room- like climbing a mountain, no air con or fan. Quite aged bathrooms.

Location was amazing, so close to train station and tram stops. Close to red light district. City centre location.

not value with the money
    • Quadruple Room

1.only one electrical plug for 4 people... 2.room is too small for 4 people and no place to put things on 3. no proper light and room is too dark 4. no fan when in hot summer peak 5. don't know where to hang to tower 6. internet is quite slow

good location to main railway station and city

Very pleasant.
    • Quadruple Room

No elevator. Little steps requiring attention when climbing, expecially when with heavy luggage.

Close to the city center and to the train station. Good communication with the stuff

Fantastic location, only 5 minutes from Central Station.
    • Quadruple Room

Could have used air-con but this year heatwave isn’t exactly a regular occurrence so not a major criticism!

Fantastic location, only 5 minutes from Central Station. Basic rooms but very clean and fresh towels/room cleaning every couple of days. Really helpful staff and convenient vending machine in the reception.

Ok. Amsterdam is pretty!

In the room just next to ours there were people smoking weeds and there was intensive smell on the corridor. The problem persisted during all stay. We informed the stuff but no successful action has been taken. We have been also severly bitten by some bugs in the bed.

The service was very kind and helpful

Pleasant stay in cheap, clean, friendly accommodation in Central city.

We were on the top floor and that meant lugging luggage up several flights of steep stairs.

It was clean. Room and bathroom small but adequate. Staff friendly. A good budget hotel in centre

Good value for a short stay in Amsterdam

Quite noisy in the room next to the stairs whenever people get in and out. If there is a fan in the room would be good, cos It was quite warm at night in summer.

Good location and good value. Staff was nice and helpful.

Very central and has a 24-hour friendly member of staff by...

Not suitable for elderly or children - the stairs are VERY steep and we happened to live at the very top. The area around the hotel gets super noisy which is one of the 'perks' of living central. There is definitely not enough plugs in the rooms.

Very central and has a 24-hour friendly member of staff by the reception desk. Speedy free wifi covering the whole hotel. A ginger cat living downstairs is cute. The location is more than perfect if you are an adventurous youngster: only 10 minutes away from Amsterdam Centraal station. Lots of shops around + Starbucks which opens at 7am if you crave coffee in the morning.

Everything we expected. No complaints.

One large bed rather than two pushed together would have given more comfort and stopped me calling down the middle.

Very friendly and helpful staff, good location, budget but very clean and tidy.

Too noisy, when people in the room above my room walk or...
    • Family Room (5 Adults)

Too noisy, when people in the room above my room walk or take shower, you can hear very clearly so that it's very annoying when you try to get some sleep.

great hotel for a lads holiday, not for kids or older people. You get what you pay for...
    • Quadruple Room

The stairs could be a problem for some older people and children as they are very steep. Lighting in the room was quite dark but not an issue through the day due to big window. I also did not like the fact that the cleaner was very abrupt in trying to get into our room to collect bins and used towels, even when the rest of us were in bed and I was trying to tell him all we needed were fresh towels he came in and had a look around. Another problem was that someone had been sick in the corridor and they tried to claim they had seen one of our group do it on the cameras which I think was an effort to charge us a fee as we were not the culprit so they were lying.

Very cheap, excellent location, beds were comfy and the hotel was kept clean

The staff were all lovely and very helpful!

The staff were all lovely and very helpful! We were able to drop our bags off before check in and check out, and staff helped us with tram and bus routes when needed. Overall I had an amazing holiday and budget Ben was in the perfect location and had exactly what I needed for my stay! I would definitely come back again

I had a room on the 4th floor, without lift. The rooms look like there’s no renovation since 1970. My night was till 10:30 am, but the personel came to my room at 10 and told me that I have to go out in 10 minutes..

Location is perfect, good to stay for couple of nights

Hotel won’t accept credit cards has to be cash which is so dodgy and room wasn’t clean everyday but they’ll go to your room just to replace toilet paper bed wasn’t even made

Location is perfect, good to stay for couple of nights

Staff very friendly and helpful.

Very steep stairs, we were on the top floor.

Staff very friendly and helpful. Free wifi Arrived 1 hour early and staff let us check in which was great

Disgusting place. Not worth the rate they’re charging.
    • Quadruple Room

Very dirty place......snot wiped on the walls and dried boogers on the sheets. We requested a non-smoking room and got a room that smelled like a fire pit. We stayed two days and had to bag all our clothes when we left because they smelled so bad. Very thin walls. Girls next to us talked and slammed doors all night long. None of us slept much.

It is very well situated, just round the corner from many...
    • Family Room (5 Adults)

When we arrived, the payment for the room had been preauthorised on my debit card. I understood this as a precaution, but we were then told we had to pay again in cash. We were told that we would be refunded the amount already preauthorised on my card, within 14 business days or less! So essentially, they wanted me to pay twice and then be refunded one payment later. I feel that this system is not at all useful for the customer and while the man at the desk was polite, I didn't feel put at ease when he told me I would be without 150€+ for my trip (even if I'd get it back later). I would have preferred if the Hotel had simply demanded payment in full before arrival. Regarding the rooms, they are indeed quite noisy. Due to the heat, we had to have the windows open and so we could hear every bit of commotion and traffic in the street. However, we expected this and were tired enough that we were still able to sleep.

It is very well situated, just round the corner from many bars and cafés. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was more than adequate. If you need only somewhere to sleep safely for the night, then this hotel is good value for money and convenient.

I love Amsterdam
    • Quadruple Room

It feels like home, it’s got exactly what you need, the basic essentials and nothing more and also free WiFi which is very handy! The staff are helpful and honest, would always book again!

the location is perfect, the train station is really close.
    • Family Room (5 Adults)

the area is really noisy during the weekend, on Saturday night the music was really loud.. it stopped at 3am. the blanket above the bed wasn't very clean. lot of narrow and steep stairs to arrive at the room.

the location is perfect, the train station is really close.. it is a cheap solution if you want just a bed and a hot shower.

Decent budget hotel

Not that I can think of personally. This hotel has probably the steepest staircases I've ever seen in a hotel, so if you have heavy luggage, be aware of the difficulty. Also, if you are paying by credit card, then there is a 5€ surcharge, so better pay in cash.

Decent budget hotel, superb location, decent wifi, way cheaper than any other surrounding accommodation. I only spent 5 hours in the room due to late flight arrival and very early departure, but I say that this will be a good option for a short stay.

Very central location.

Very steep staircase and no tea/coffee facilities in the room.

Excellent location. But if you prefer peace and quiet once you retire for the night give it a miss as it's very central to busy bars.

Good location, very close to central station.

No elevator, we had to climb all the up the stairs with our luggage. Really uncomfortable beds. You can hear EVERYTHING that’s going on at other rooms!

Good location, very close to central station. Surrounded by many places to eat at. We had lovely view from our window

Amazing, can’t wait to go back.
    • Family Room (5 Adults)

The stairs up to room were rather steep, but soon learnt that Amsterdam stairs are all like this 😊

Staff very pleasant and extremely helpful. Accommodation as advertised cheap and clean. Location excellent for all sights of Amsterdam. Would definitely go back again.

Hear noisy stairs all night, they demand cash payment once you booked: SCAM!!!

You hear people on the stairs whole night, Scam: they advertise that you can pay with credit card but after booking they say the machine doesn't work and they demand you to pay cash so they don't pay taxes and you can't proof you stayed there.

Only good thing was location, everything else bad!

• Family Room (5 Adults)

It has a rude front desk officer and even shouted at me. My first time to encounter that kind of front desk!!! Very bad attitude!!! They did not even say sorry to us!!!! Not recommendable to anybody!!! Pls dont ever think of staying in that hotel!!!!

Nothing!!!! Because of the rude front desk

The location was fine

The hotel blocked a night's fee from my account. On arrival I had to pay for the whole amount of my entire stay. However, they have still not unblocked my money. They were inflexible. I did not get a repeipt. Hopefully I will get my money back...

The location was fine

Cheap and cheerful

The shower was rubbish, a trickle wouldnt being doing it justice! There was also only one plug socket in the room which was rather frustrating.

The hotel is perfectly located if you want to be in and around the centre of Amsterdam

Pleasant hotel and in central location
    • Quadruple Room

Room like cared up 3 flights of stairs and so central you here noise which means not much sleep

Room had shower in and they knock an hour before check out so that you can vacate the room. They allowed us to store our luggage during the day after checkout! A nice personal touch!

Great location, old fashioned hotel
    • Family Room (5 Adults)

The whole hotel just needs a massive revamp. It cost us almost €1000 for three nights between five of us, which is a hell of a lot of money for what we got. Incredibly old fashioned with the smell to match. We found out we would have saved €500 just turning up at the hotel on the day - surely they want people to prebook? Confused me. They also asked us to pay cash, so it was inconvinent to be carrying €1000 (a lot of money) from home to Amsterdam. There were no maids (or we didn’t see any) and the staff just walked in your room at any time - not ideal. They woke us up at 9am the day of departure demanding the key and remote - we just opened our eyes!

Perfect location is the only positive of this hotel really

Exactly as described, cheap and clean with ideal location and friendly staff.
    • Family Room (5 Adults)

The stairs isn’t ideal but it’s the architecture of the building and most restaurants were the same.

Exactly as described. Very cheap and ideal location. Went as a group of 4 girls with one boy and we felt completely safe at all times.

It's cheap and you get what you pay for!
    • Quadruple Room

Bits like the window ledges, the glass, the door ledge in the bathroom were filthy and mustn't have been cleaned for years!

It's a one star hotel! A friend removed his mattress cover to reveal some questionable stains! If it's a cheap deal like we got, go for it! It's a lot better than other one star places and is bang in the centre! Just sleep fully dressed, live from your suitcase, you'll fine!

The worste room I have ever booked.

Everything. Small and narrow room like sleeping in a corridor. Very dull .. you cannot look outside of the window as window pane is opaque. A big smell of cigarattes in room. Uncomfortable beds. Bery steep stairs.

Very good location only.

• Family Room (5 Adults)

Old and dilapidated. No amenities, no elevator, security was minimal. Paper thin walls. Blankets were old and tatty. Shower was cold and unpleasant. Basic accommodation.

Perfect location but poor amenities and comfort.

Constant noise of people walking up or down the the wooden stairs, which is rather disturbing. Rooms are very basic with no amenities and one charging point near the toilet, which you need to climb a few steps. Spent almost £750 on 4 nights, which is not value for money

Cheap and central but nothing else good!

Hard tiny beds. Smell of weed is just everywhere!!! Cannot escape it. The hotel is so loud. Outside the streets are so loud and the stairs are banging all night with people coming in and out. There is a loud buzzer to let people in and that goes off all night too. Didn’t have one full night. Probably didn’t even get an hour!?

Location and that’s pretty much it

Perfect location, but smelly

It’s a smoker Hotel- you should just let the people know. It’s old fashioned and you wonder why they do not spend any money on new duvets or furniture.

Perfectly located in the middle of the city. Easy walk to all important sights. Restaurants are close- for all occasions (breakfast, lunch, dinner)

The hotel Ben is in a superb location, staff very friendly.
    • Family Room (5 Adults)

The hotel Ben is in a superb location, staff very friendly... room basic but clean and comfortable... will definitely stay here again. Thank you :)

Satisfied

We were right at the top so it was a lot of stairs! There was three of us but they only gave us two extra blankets and two towels

Nice staff, generally it was quite clean, great location, they can look after your bags after you check out which we liked. We were expecting a really bad hotel but actually I was quite surprised.

Central location, free WiFi, comfy beds, friendly staff.
    • Family Room (5 Adults)

Not for those who don't like stairs. Constant ringing of bells due to being near a church (you get used to it after a while)

Central location, free WiFi, comfy beds, friendly staff.

Apartment is really nice. Beds are so comfortable
    • Quadruple Room

Parking was a little difficult and we had to do laundry but dryer took forever to dry.

The apartment was very nice. Beds were very comfortable. Apartment provided everything you needed.

Would definitly revisit and suggest to friends

Hot/Cold water was a bit tricky to balance otherwise everything was as expected. The stairs are steep (true) but that is a local feature and you'll find it in most of the places visited

I liked the fact that what you see in the photos is what you get so advert is very honest. Also that it was very close to all the main attractions (food, shops, coffee shops, etc.). It was clean and comfortable.

Basic, affordable, comfortable

There was no bin in the bathroom. The radiator was on a timer and couldn't be turned off.During the night it got very hot and one of the beds was right beside the radiator. There were a lot of bells that rang during the morning, not the fault of the hotel.

Staff allowed us to keep our bags in the hotel after we had checked out. Great location. Perfect for students or anyone with a really meager budget.

We love the Ben :)

Nothing all good

Close to everything — cheap and clean — nice staff all round nice place. I went with friends we just wanted somewhere nice and relaxed we could sleep and this is the place !!!!!

smoking rooms and location

4 beds in the room but only 2 plugs nobody could charge there phone most the time as there was more people than plugs. and bathroom was not very clean, toilet roll was like cardboard.

smoking rooms and location

Really good location, 6 minutes walk to Central station and...
    • Quadruple Room

The sound insulation of the room is not good. The guys lived in the room next to me made noise the whole night, I couldn’t fall asleep.......... So noisy.....but this was not the fault of this hotel.

Really good location, 6 minutes walk to Central station and there are many sightseeing near the hotel. I had a fever in the 1st night in the hotel, and the staff gave me lots of hot water. So sweet~

Very close to everything and clean.
    • Family Room (5 Adults)

Non smoking room that smelt strongly of smoke. Narrow very steep staircase, narrow room. Very thin walls.

Very close to everything and clean. Bargain price

great for staying the one night, easy to find as it is near...

wouldn't be able to stay on my own for the price of one night, luckily I was with people for this trip.

great for staying the one night, easy to find as it is near the main street

It is well located.

The Hotel has no free internet, as it is described in the booking.com. Also, you can hear every time someone arrives - during the whole night - because of a loud bell that rings when the door is opened.

The Hotel is located at the center of Amsterdam, quite close to the main train station. You can walk from there to the main tourist points within 3 km maximum.

Non smoking room had an ashtray and reeked of marijuana to...
    • Quadruple Room

Non smoking room had an ashtray and reeked of marijuana to the extent that our pyjamas stunk of it the next night at a different hotel. The beds were not full size single beds. Staff allowed people to make excessive noise at all hours of the night.

Highly recommended for short terms
    • Quadruple Room

Small rooms and the stairs from the reception to the room are really steep

Well-located hotel,pretty close to the dam square. The rooms are really small but they are perfect for short term.. quality/price really good . Highly recommended

Amazing location and very friendly staff.

Small room and not very well isolated, we could hear our room's neighbors even though they weren't talking loud. Rooms were clean but we slept there 3 days and nobody cleaned the room during our stay, just towels changed last day.

Amazing location and very friendly staff.

Excellent location and nice facilities for budget trips!

The lack of elevator and the many stairs make some rooms unreachable. At nights there were sounds and screams from outside and from the other rooms of the hotel. Really bad soundproofing.

Very clean rooms, great location and relatively good price compared to other hotels.

a warm bed in the red light district, and not much else

the shower only had hot water. And it was not just warm, it was scalding hot. So basically no shower at all.

a warm bed in the red light district, and not much else

Location was excellent, staff were nice and room was basic...
    • Quadruple Room

Walls are thin and had a noisy group next door to us. No tea/coffee making facilities and so many stairs

Location was excellent, staff were nice and room was basic but clean

A much better stay than expected
    • Family Room (5 Adults)

The beds were smaller than your average single bed. Stairs are a bit of a struggle when your room is on a higher floor.

The location was amazing!! You are literally in the heart of amsterdam! No need to get any trains/trams/taxis. The staff were really nice and even let us leave our baggage in the reception after checking out because we had a late flight. Also we had a problem with the people next door being too loud and they sorted it out immediately! Overall ideal place to stay with a group of friends when you wanna make it a cheaper holiday. We stayed in the family room with five beds and it was a laugh.

A nice/cheap place to stay a couple of days.

Too many stairs.

The location is great. The bed is nice. The room and bathroom are quite small but enough for a couple of days. It is a nice place for those who want to travel, have their privacy but pay less than normal. As someone said "you get what you payed for".

Could be much better with another attitude from the staff
    • Family Room (5 Adults)

The staff was rude at reception, no payments taken by card due a supposed change of system, by email they did recomended to pay by card but not made it mandatory, the staff in there did, they also took the payment in advance giving little or none margin to complains the room was fine, clean, noisy, not enough plugs if you are a big group

The toilet was clean and there was towels and shampoo

Great location, but pretty much only that

Not suitable for people with physical disabilities! Lots of stairs and a VERY small space. The room was really small and the bathroom was clean but still kindda creepy. But then again - it's a budget hotel so that's expected.

Great location - right in the center of the city. And that's more or less the only great thing. The receptionists were also nice.

Very bad

The room smelt like feces and was not clean. They ask for a 10euro deposit for a key and the remote control... something that usually comes with all hotels? They also asked when you leave the room to leave the key at the desk or risk losing the key and forfeiting your 10euro. Very questionable.. they didn't give a receipt I had to ask for a photocopy of the booking. Paid With a credit card before arriving and then on arrival they asked for the payment again stating it would be refunded. Waiting for this to happen.. before I call the bank. I made sure to get the proof of payment. Please avoid this hotel, it is not clean or cheap.

BRILLIANT location, clean and comfortable - great value for money!!! (would return)

Didn't both us both stairs are VERY steep and finding your room was abit of a maze, View from room was a room opposite but we didn't spend much time there anyway!

Location was brilliant - 5minuite walk from central station. Room although very small was very clean and comfortable! TV with loads of channels (if that's what your after!). Also a large window in the room which opened right out which was nice! And even tho it was so central - hardly hear any noise!!

Cheap and cheerful, you get what you pay for no extras but good for a short weekend.

There were noisy people in the room next door banging until 3am. Also our room was facing the front out onto a main busy road which was very noisy all night. However didn't keep us up as when the window was closed and tv was on it seemed to drown it out.

It was in a brilliant location, right in the centre of everything. Didn't have to walk very far. The staff were also very helpful.

Overall great value for money
    • Family Room (5 Adults)

Very steep stairs to the room. Very narrow beds

Basic but done it's job, ideal for a group of friends traveling, but I wouldn't stay there with my family!

Browse Budget Hotel Ben traveller photo gallery