Reviews of Hotel Rembrandt 2 stars

Plantage Middenlaan 17, Amsterdam City Centre, 1018 DA Amsterdam, Netherlands

#165 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

Nothing - 10/10

Our stay at the Rembrandt was fantastic. Lovely hotel in a perfect location and we had access to the garden from our room which was just stunning! Great value for money. We will definitely be back.

The size of our bedroom and its decor was not of the standard portrayed in the photos of the hotel.

The staff were very helpful and friendly and the hotel was very clean. The location was good and there were some nice cafes in the vicinity. It was thoughtful to have free drinks in the mini bar.

This small, friendly hotel is in a great location, within walking distance of everything but with some great local bars and restaurants that are reasonably priced as it is not the tourist centre.

It was the Booking.com-s fault, not the hotel's, but we didn't receive what we ordered. We asked for a room with three single beds, but we got a room with a double and a single bed. We are three guys and colleagues. They made a bed for us out of the sofa (luckily there were 2 small guys in the team), and for the first night we got another room. There is no elevator, and you have to climb narrow and sheer stairs with large baggage, even to the attic (third floor). There is no air-conditioning, and the attic rooms can be very hot. We heard disturbing hammering and deep murmuring sounds early in the morning.

The hotel has a cosy and authentic feeling. The location is good: near the city center. The crew is helpful and friendly. The hotel is nice, clean, and quiet.

The location was perfect, would highly recommend a stay in Plantage! It’s a fabulous park of Amsterdam in walking distance to central. Basic room but very good value for money.

• Quadruple Room

In my opinion it was too warm, especially in the night. The pillow isn't comfortable. The staircase is rather steep.

The room was spacious and suitable for four people. The free minibar included. The bathroom is clean and spacious. The hotel is close to city centre, 15 minutes by feet.

In the toilet we had just products for a bath, nothing for shower But it was easy to solve

The position was quite good, in 10-15 minutes walking you could reach the center. The room was good, beds fine I haven’t tried breakfast

The room we stayed in was very small and the decor could do with updating. I thought it was a bit overpriced for a 2 star hotel.

The bathroom was exceptionally clean and modern. The staff were polite, attentive and their English was excellent. The location was perfect for being central to everything.

• Quadruple Room

The décor and bathrooms are getting a bit tired but we didn't mind.

The staff were very helpful. We loved the quirky décor. The location was lovely, close to a supermarket and park.

The decor is a little dated and depending on where the room is, you're facing a long trek up some very steep, narrow stairs with no lift - though that might be an Amsterdam standard. However, the staff volunteered to get my luggage up and down them (I don't think I'd have made it!). The single room I stayed in was pretty small, the bed wasn't that comfortable, and right next to the window so it was fairly noisy, especially with the trams. But this was easily mitigated with a good pair of earplugs.

The hotel is in a beautiful leafy area of Amsterdam but is right on a busy tramline which takes five minutes to get you to Dam Square, so it's easy to get around town. There are still plenty of places to eat and things to do in the area, but it's also possible to spend your entire day in the centre of town and easily get back when it's bedtime. It's value for money, since Amsterdam isn't a cheap city to stay in, and the staff were extremely friendly. Certain elements of the building are beautiful: the reception is also a library area, and the dining room is a wood-panelled delight.

The room seemed a little old, maybe improving the quality of the forniture the hotel would reach an higher level.

The position was awesome, very well connected and close to many green areas. The staff was really welcoming and kind. The breakfast room is just amazing, too bad breakfast is not included so we couldn’t really enjoy that space.

Everything is good ,no complaints

it's very clean especially the toilets. The staff is friendly and helpful , my flight was cancelled and one of the staff members was very helpful she help to book a bus ticket back to London as my wife and I had to work the next day. I really appreciate the help.

Nothing. I liked everything about this hotel.very good, excellent for the money

The room was excellent, with glass doors opening to a patio, bed were very confortable. We had free drinks in Frigidaire. The staff was very helpful and nice.

Very neat and clean. Close to restaurants and trams were right outside which took us to all the major attractions. The people at the reception were very nice and helpful. Large room. Recommended.

The shower wasn't great as the shower head was blocked, so it was more like standing under an overflowing gutter! The bathroom light switch was cracked and looked quite dodgy. The room was clean but a little shabby and tired looking.

Room was very spacious, lovely floor to ceiling windows so plenty of natural light. Complimentary soft drinks in mini bar. Beds were comfortable and the room was warm. Nice view onto street which wasn't noisy.

We were in the top room. 3 flights of steep stairs. Be aware of this if you are infirm.

The hotel was in a good location. 15 minute walk to the town centre or the tram stops outside the hotel. The staff are lovely and friendly. We had a problem with the water being too hot and they got a plumber out and fixed it that day. Breakfast was excellent, lots to choose from.

asked for an extra sachet or 2 of coffee.. they didn't seem impressed.. then when checking out they tried to charge me for a breakfast i didnt get.

staff were friendly

My only dislike was the room I was in had really rattling windows in the wind. There was a tree outside and the branches were hitting the window through the night which kept me awake

Beautiful themed lovely staff not far to walk from town

I wanted to have a balcony room as it was for my friend for birthday but the email went in the spam so I`ve seen it too late and they didn`t double check if I am informed, so when I wanted to book it it was too late so we had a room without terrace entry but was nice. When we got back from the town and entered in the room had disgusting smell from the bathroom (like proper toilette smell) coming from the shower, we were not really fancy to take a shower and had to open windows and it was so cold. the pressure of the water is horrible if you want to use the small hand of it. It took 1 hour for the water to drain. walls are not the best but I know it is an old building, you can hear if the neighbours are walking, laughing or snoring but you don't have lot of neighbours as there`s max 2-3 rooms in one floor (thanks god). To spend 3 nights its okay but no longer.

The hotel location is very nice. I went there with my friends to celebrate birthday. We got nice present in the room for my friend so it was very nice. Location is perfect everything is walking distance (max25-30 min) 100 times better than live in the centre as it is very busy and noisy. The room was always very clean (they forgot to change the bin bags twice but wasn't full so not a big deal). All the staff was nice and smiley especially the blond polish girl in th day when we check out was very helpful.

• Quadruple Room

the shower was absolutely terrible. There were no complimentary charging adaptors like you get everywhere else. The toilet was extremely small and very close to the wall

The bed and size of the room was nice, Was nice to have doors that opened to let in the fresh air rather than small windows.

Nothing !

A nice quiet location with café/bar very close. Easy walk into centre or tram stop outside if you prefer. Staff very helpful. Nice garden at rear.

Cold isolation of the room was not so good, and even with heating the room was not very warm.

Great location and very comfortable rooms. Someone at the reception 24h is also nice.

We expected a room with a balcony, because all the pictures displayed that but we were not given one. We had to leave our key, which was fine, but the front door was always locked and the night staff especially were not always prompt at letting you back in. On our first night a member of staff banged on the door multiple times but did not announce he was staff and why he was disturbing us, whilst we were taking a nap, on my partners Birthday!!

• Quadruple Room

Location was great, we walked every attraction in the city. Room was cleaned on a daily basis and it was a spacious room. Staff was really polite and helpful. It was a pleasant experience for me :) by the way, in the room they put free drinks and chocolate 👍🏻

They do not refresh minibar everyday, there is no slipper and they dont clean the rooms and change the towels unless you ask for it .

Great location ,cozy room

I found that I was being woken up before 7am everyday because of the noise upstairs - I don't know if this was other guests but you could hear every step they took. Also the balcony was a little precarious to get on to.

The room was lovely and spacious and the beds were very comfortable. Loved the added touch of the toothbrush kit and free fridge. They were very helpful and accommodating when we asked questions. Also, the tram was right outside and so easy to get further into the city.

Shower was a bit rubbish so used bath instead. Breakfast not great for €10 as not a cooked breakfast other than boiled or scrambled egg. Lighting in room was poor so 3 of us had to get ready sharing bathroom mirror which was tricky! Lots of stairs up to third floor so not great if you’re unsteady on your feet as no lift!

Clean, free soft drinks in fridge

I thought the presentation did not reflect the price of the room. It was very lazily presented. There were marks and holes in the walls, paint on the window. It wasn't cleaned properly, there was dust on the floors, lamp shades and bulbs were dusty. The bedding was inadequate. The lock on the bedroom door was missing a fixing. Problems could be put right for very little money and lots of elbow grease.

The staff were very kind and nice to talk to. The building itself is beautiful.

There was complimentary drinks in the mini bar, the staff were very friendly and knowledgeable. A great place to stay and still quite close to everything you need. Jump on the tram right outside of the hotel, number 14 or 9 to take you to main areas.

The design of the property is dingy and woefully dated. The staircase to the second floor is steep and narrow (there's no elevator) so it's difficult to take up/down a medium suitcase. The room was small, but worse, was cold (I'm not normally someone who complains of the cold). But the staff was responsive and brought up an extra heater and duvet to the room.

The location is rather central and convenient.

Beds were not comfy, room 4 was noisy, not secure windows as came open in the middle of the night due to wind. Room was tiny. I felt if the price was half slightly less than half it would have been acceptable.

Only location

The Window's seal is weak and you can hear everything form outside during the night ... narrows stairs , however, lovely hotel

Very clean hotel! Stayed one night only but had everything I needed .

Only that I couldn’t stay longer. !

I liked everything about the Rembrandt. The best thing of all was the pleasant, cosy and caring atmosphere created by the staff. Everyone there was helpful in every possible way. This gives a wonderful base to set out from each morning and come home to at the end of each day.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

As it is an old house the badroom was a bit uncomfortable.On the other hand also because it is a specific Amsterdam house you also get that Amsterdam feeling which for me was a plus.

Excellent location,friendly helpful staff and the Amsterdam feel of the hotel.The room was cosy and very well heated.Rembrandt paintings throughout and excellent wifi.

The bed and the bathroom were spotless, but the walls and the chair in the room had many stains and spots on them.

On my first morning in the room I enjoyed my cup of coffee in the comfortable bed next to the big window looking view over the garden so much that I ended up leaving the hotel a couple of hours later than intended. The staff were very nice and helpful.

Our shower didn’t work overly well and there is no lift and a narrow stair case so it was a bit of a struggle with the luggage.

Staff were so so friendly, stayed here for my 21st birthday and would defiantly recommend to a friend. The lady at the desk noticed it was my birthday from the date on my passport and I was left a lovely bottle of wine and box of chocolates.

• Quadruple Room

There was very loud building work going on next door on the outside, and our room was at the front of the hotel so it was deafening. The work started at 7am which was not ideal!

The room was spacious for 4 people. There is a tram stop right outside the hotel which is perfect for getting around.

Stairs are steep but I guess this is very common in Amsterdam

The hotel is very close to tram stop and easy access to center. Rooms are clean and the bed was comfy.

The hotel isn't as close to the centre as you would think, we walked for 20 minutes just to find a shop. We asked for a room with balcony and when we arrived we were told there were no rooms with balconies despite this being advertised. Hairdryer in room wasnt working. The stairs in the hotel are very steep but this is expected in most buildings in Amsterdam.

We were able to check in on arrival at 9am as our room was ready. Room was very spacious (triple room). Staff were friendly. Tram stop right outside hotel which takes you to Rembrandt square, Dam square, Central Station etc (number 9).

The room was Spartan. There were no towels in the room.

I liked the supportive mattress (some would say it was firm). The hotel was very quiet. I was on the second floor (European)/third floor (US) facing the rear.

I couldn't really fault anything but I wouldn't stay on the ground floor if you're worried about privacy. The windows were floor to ceiling with a door to the garden which other people could smoke in I think. These were pros for us but others might not like the thought of people looking in

We didn't have breakfast but the room was much bigger than expected. Everything was clean and modern and we had access to the garden from the room. There was someone at the desk at all times to help us and we were able to leave our luggage on the last day which was a great help. The area seemed very safe and residential but was just a short walk to the centre and also had a tram stop right outside or bikes to rent just 5 mins away. Would definitely stay here again.

Parking not available directly at the hotel and the beds were not the most comfortable ones. but okay for that price in Amsterdam.

For a short vacation in Amsterdam the Hotel is good. Located next to the zoo. Parking is not really available at the hotel. You can park there on the street - for 36€/day. Or you can use a parking garage in the city for 20€/day. It's a 15 min walk from the hotel. Staff is friendly and the hotel is good for that price!

Breakfast was a bit disappointing, the coffee machine was not that easy to work out, whatever we managed to get did not taste that great. Otherwise it was convenient for our first day and flexible enough to just go if we wanted and pay at the end of our stay.

The location was great, two trams into the centre of Amsterdam. The lovely little balcony leading onto the garden was a real bonus. Local restaurants were excellent as were the local bars, great for a quiet drink before going back to the room.

• Quadruple Room

No lifts, steep & narrow stairs - difficult to carry the baggage of 4 people to the 2nd floor

Cosy and friendly atmosphere in the hotel, good breakfast, close to public transportation

helpful staff and great location, printed off our boarding passes for return journey and looked after our suitcases as our flight was in the afternoon and check out was 11.00.

Access to room, 3rd floor, narrow, steep staircase and no lift, especially difficult with suitcase. However it's an old building with many interesting features, lovely inside and out, besides staff were very helpful.

Bright room, tall window, high ceiling. Good bed, good shower.

Wifi connection in room sometimes weak or not available.

Staff welcoming and very helpful. Room nicely decorated, spacious and comfortable. Bathroom compact but great shower and lots of hot water. A relaxing stay. We had a room at the garden side, which is very peaceful.

Single beds are a bit thin wider spread singles would of been nice and also I requested evening meals or a food meno be nice if you sold small meals ect for the evening / tea time.

Staying in room 1 you had access to a garden/terrace and the showers are amazing and the complementary fridge is good with the drinks staff are very understandable and caring.

The staff were very welcoming, friendly and helpful- they also printed off our boarding passes for our return flight and let us leave our bags with them on our last day free of charge 😊 Our room was beautiful (and the hotel itself) with everything we needed, would recommend and we would definitely stay again

It is a 2* hotel I suppose and the interior is far from special. Ok for a few nights traveling alone but not up to scratch to house a family for example.

Super location and friendly staff

Honestly couldn't have faulted anything during my stay

Enchanting property that is head and shoulders above what the star-rating suggests. It's only a 10 minute walk to the main areas and the tram to Central Station stops right outside the hotel, so airport access is easy. Even the single room I had was spacious, which isn't usually the case in Holland!

Checking out at 11 am sharp was not convenient at all, as I had a 10 pm flight home at night Tefusal to extend my stay even if I paid a day extra...

the style and grandeur of a hotel, but also one that was small, had great taste in furnishings ! the location was excellent also, being near to the Botanical Gardens, with good tips on where to eat..

• Quadruple Room

Somewhere to hang a few items of clothing in the room would have been nice but I'm just being picky!! We had a very enjoyable stay, I would definitely stay there again and recommend to family and friends

Very friendly and helpful staff, very comfortable size room (we had 2 adults and 2 kids), breakfast was yummy every day, and I got a load of washing done for a very reasonable price. I also found the location to be perfect for us. Very close to Local transport and cafes, also very short t wall to Albert Hein supermarket, around the corner from the zoo too!

• Quadruple Room

Room 21!!! Do not stay in this room if you want to sleep! Private apartment above - noise (loud music, banging, etc) ALL night! Luckily, we were able to move rooms.

Staff were friendly and good location.

On the Saturday night, it was very noisy outside my room (people partying, the tram going past) - it was a warm night, and there was no air conditioning, so I needed the window open. The noise made it very hard to sleep. The hotel did have ear plugs, but they were cheap ones that wouldn't stay put, and didn't block enough noise. No lift - I was on the top floor (four flights of very narrow stairs), and don't think I would have got my suitcase up there without help. Happily the staff member who checked me in carried my suitcase up for me!

Really nice little hotel just outside the centre - easily reached by public transport, or a short walk once you've settled in. Friendly staff. My room was small, but recently refurbished. The bathroom was really really small, but well-laid out - the shower didn't leak into the rest of the bathroom either (unlike a lot of hotels I've visited).

My couple and I went to Amsterdam to celebrate our anniversary an we choose the hotel because on the picture looks really cozy and clean rooms. When we arrive they give as the room number one that it doesn't looks at all as the pictures in your website. First they gave us separate bed when we pay for a double bed. Is so old, is the opposite of cozy, is full of dust between the hanging pictures that are just on top of your head when you sleep.Is a shame because the staff and the place is good.

The staff was really kind. The gentleman that works at night is really helpful,kind and give you good advices. The hotel is ubicated in a nice area and is really easy to go to the centre.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

maybe have a fine van will be better! (it's really hot without the AC)

A petie and lovely, clean hotel. Very convenience to station Artis, I definitely comeback next time.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

This was not the hotels fault at all... it was a freak in the weather 29Degs for 2 days & we was a group of 3 in the attic of the hotel & it was super hot the hotel provided a fan (thank you) So if your staying in the attic check the weather :) & ask for the fans lol

Great location rite next door to the zoo & 10mins from Center of Amsterdam. Friendly staff nice and clean with 24hour reception. Tram stop outside (tram 9 into city) :) Free mini bar & WiFi Simple but great

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Quadruple Room

The staff were very lovely and caring. Anything you needed they provided even if it was something they didn't have to provide. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the location is brilliant and next to everything you need as a tourist!

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

The room was a bit small the steps are steep though for me on the first floor it did not matter

the location.! its 2mins away from the no 9 and 14 tram stop in a beautiful area close to a park and the hortis The staff is warm and friendly , they have a small in -house library and a few indoor games the breakfast was good its very clean

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

I was in the attic floor where the rooms were much smaller, walls paper thin with people walking around at all hours, the bathroom was not particularly clean and the wifi didn't work on the floor my room was in. For over £100/ night without even breakfast included it was very poor.

Staff were friendly

since we were staying underground level... the wifi was poor in the room.

the rooms were spacious and they had free coffee, tea, soft drinks, chocolates etc..

Everything was fine. Breakfast average but plenty of it.

We had Room 2 with three beds overlooking the garden. The large French windows meant it was light and airy.

As I have mobility issues the stairs were a wee bit of a problem but we were on the first floor which was fine ! But I did know there were no lifts at time of booking !!

The beds were so comfy ! The tram stopped right outside the door which was fantastic! The number 9 tram takes u right to dam Sq an you can also hop of at Rembrandt Sq lots of great places to eat and people watch over a drink or 2 !!

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

The bathrooms could have included Harry Potter style warping abilities to allow more than a size 4 model to use the shower.

The cat has strong purr, almost enough to drown out the squeaky stair cases and ambient street noises that waft back into the building.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Shower very dated, prices very high for what you get. Would at least expect breakfast included.

Staff very kind and friendly, accommodated an extra bed in our room. Can walk to all attractions. Friendly cat!!

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

• Quadruple Room

The bathtub didn't fill up as I would have liked.

The staff was very welcoming as I arrived. The room was clean and spacious. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom was nice.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Stairs were narrow and steep. No lifts but staff helped me with my luggage.

Their breakfast had a variety of choices which i like. The dining place was really antiquated which gives you a feeling of being in a different time. The staffs were very helpful and attentive. Will definitely go back.

Steep stairs, but you're in Amsterdam it's the norm here!

The staff were very friendly and accommodating, lovely hotel room very small but suited one person perfectly. The room had a kettle, a mini fridge,TV,hairdryer, ensuite bathroom and the bed was very comfortable. The hotel is situated in a lovely quiet area beside the zoo and there's trams right outside that are handy for getting around. It is in close proximity to most sites, nightlife and there are lovely cafes in the area. I would recommend to a friend and next time I come to Amsterdam I'll definitely be coming back. They also have a cute cat that wanders about sometimes.

There is almost no sound proofing so you'll hear your fellow guests through the walls. Also if your room is at the front of the building there's a lot of noise from the trams. If you're a light sleeper this may be an issue

Location is good. Tram stop just outside the property. Nearby the increasingly trendy Oost district. Room facilities good. Very friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

In my room I could hear the other hotel guests coming home at night.

Nicely located: a few tram stops away from the city centre and also close to the Science Park (if you have to work there). The hotel is situated in an old building, and breakfast is served in a spectacular room. Very friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Quadruple Room

The only thing that I can complain about is that the Wifi was quite slow. But that really is the only thing.

Our room was absolutely fabulous. The staff was exceptionally friendly and kind. We travelled as a group of four to celebrate the 30th birthday of one of us. The staff had placed a birthday card and some small bottles of wine on the table when we arrived. Two of us had to depart one day earlier than the other two, so we had booked a two-person-room for the additional night. But the kind woman at the reception suggested that we could stay in the four-person-room for the additional night with no extra costs. I really loved this hotel and I would always come back. The hotel has a very comfortable and special flair, you feel like coming home from the very moment you arrive. And I loved the hotel cat "Bink". Greetings from Germany

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

I wish I had know it would be 4 flights of stairs and the room was very very small I had problems with the shower and the phone didn't work But despite that I loved my stay and would go again perhaps ask for a bigger room :)

The charm of the hotel made it very nice. The decor and the staff were very exceptional.

• Quadruple Room

They advertised a shuttle to and from the airport but it is not included in the cost. That cost me an additional 100 euro that was not planned. Breakfast was not included in the price of the hotel. That is 10 euro per person added if you eat their breakfast. I could have stayed in a four star hotel for the same price I paid for this two star hotel.

Location was close to the tram which made traveling inside of Amsterdam easy. The staff was great. The hotel is clean.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

The hotel location could not be any better. Tram stop Artis right outside. Cafe's, bars, botanical gardens and parks within walking distance. Staff was really helpful. I had written to the hotel 6 months before our booking to request a room with garden access and that's exactly was provided upon arrival. Will absolutely stay with them again!

Browse Hotel Rembrandt traveller photo gallery