Reviews of Stenden Hotel 4 stars

Rengerslaan 8, 8917 DD Leeuwarden, Netherlands

#5 of 12 hotels in Leeuwarden

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

A thoroughly enjoyable stay.
    • Comfort Double Room

Perhaps a non slip mat in the bath for getting in out safely for showering.

Enjoyed whole experience . Dinner was a very enjoyable our first taste of genuine Dutch cuisine which was prepared and presented beautifully. Another added bonus with the dinner the Server explained the ingredients and composition of each dish which was all sourced locally. Breakfast was similarly very with plenty of choice.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

Excellent service. We would highly recommend this hotel.

It was a university training venue so there was a long trek to the accommodation, but this was not a major concern because I accepted this as part of the package.

The staff were exceptionally welcoming and polite. Our room was well furnished and we had a comfortable bed. Very quiet at night. The breakfast was exceptional.

Very comfortable hotel (with parking) in a good location, and an excellent breakfast.

We loved the fact that the hotel is part of a hospitality training centre, so all the students and staff were super-helpful, and the breakfast - and the breakfast room - were wonderful. Very comfortable room, with a welcome in-room safe. Good location, with only a short walk into the old centre of Leeuwarden, or a bus stop outside the hotel. Plenty of on-site parking.

The restaurant was outstanding .

The restaurant was outstanding .... like a Michelin rated set up, but staffed by students. Absolutely brilliant, so we never ate anywhere else. I would recommend anyone to go and try it.

Excellent location.
    • Comfort Double Room

Few things didn’t get done in the room during the day - but were always put right on request. Breakfast was good but cooked items were left empty on the buffet.

Excellent location. Helpful staff and super dinner.

I'd like to return.
    • Comfort Double Room

The service at the canteen may be improved. My partner said 2 coffees came, but he asked only one. Maybe all the tables can be numbered. A student can be assigned to take in charge of 1 or 2 table. A kind advice for reference.

I was a student 14 years ago. It was great to come back. I wished I could stay for 2 nights next time. The room service is very considerate with nuts, water, bathroom sleepers. The students came out to help us with the luggage. The breakfast was the best in this trip, offering Miso soup, more warm dishes. As Chinese visitors, we do like warm breakfast.

Interesting concept. Students work hard that the guests enjoy their stay.

Getting a cocktail in the evening can be a time-consuming challenge. on Walk from reception to hotel rooms passes through a Stenden student area where the student canteen is. Definite need for better ventilation.

Breakfast - great with delicious home-baked breads. Room cleanliness - A1. Friendliness of staff - overwhelming. Hotel -close to center of town, no need to drive and free parking at hotel.

Everything was fine except the breakfast

I didn’t like the breakfast at all. Not having variety of food. Also not much option for vegetarians. Overall, I have wasted my money on breakfast.

I liked that the hotel is connected to Stenden University

Overall I recommend this hotel as it is a training college the staff are very friendly and helpful

It is located in a college campus and you have to walk through the college to get to your room ,not a major problem except there was an entrance very close to the rooms that would solve this but it was not in use

Nice room 10walk to old town

Really good value.

At breakfast we think the way you serve coffee is odd, and differs with normal practice at other hotels. Your method is to give out a half glass straightaway when we first sit down. By the time we had chosen our food it was no longer hot. We think it is better if the waitress comes around the tables more frequently to top up with coffee. We often had to wait quite a long time. Also we prefer cups instead of a glass for coffee. Cups retain the heat longer!

The selection of breakfast food is sensationally good and very much looked forward to. The only problem at breakfast was the way you served coffee - see above.

A nice hotel with amazing staff

The rooms were clean and comfortable with all the required items. An improvement could be on the furniture inside the rooms which somehow shows aging.

We choose the hotel based on the positive reviews about the staff and they proved right all the positive feedback about them. The hotel is a part of university and the students perform their internships at the hotel. Therefore, they are really eager to help , positive and attentive. We appreciated their support during our stay at the property. The hotel located in a nice location and city center is easy to reach with a short walk. Additionally, provided breakfast was amazing, every item in the breakfast was showing the attention paid to their quality. The breakfast also being served in the restaurant which is a part of hotel and the atmosphere and dining room of restaurant was really nice. It was a good start for our day.

Nice stay, Want to come back.

The hairdryer was broken. However, they delivered the replacement soon after I asked.

Spacious room, a big bathtub, interesting location, young and friendly staff.

A short walk from the center and free parking make this hotel an excellent choice.
    • Comfort Double Room

The hotel is part of the hotel school and so the staff are all young, enthusiastic people wanting to learn their job. Things might not always go 100% perfect, but it IS their aim and always with a smile. The restaurant is great - much space between tables, very good food and for a very reasonable price, much below what one will pay anywhere else. It's healthy and often with local products. We had dinner and breakfast and they were both excellent.

We loved it and would like to come back when we return to the Netherlands.

It couldn't be better considering the layout of the building and the distance from the lobby to the room.

The facilities, the room and the services were excellent. The only difficulty for us, in or eighties, is the absence of a elevator or escalator to get to the second floor where our room was located. This difficulty was excellently addressed by the staff member who helped us to get our two roll-ons from the boot of the car into the reception, and then to the room. A staff member came to our room when we were ready to check out to help us bring the suitcases back into the car. Great service with a smile.

the Rooms were clean and Locations was good to me since my...

The staff are mainly from the student which unfortunately still under training with little experience . they are trying to help but they been not able to do , even with very basic requests .

the Rooms were clean and Locations was good to me since my trip was mainly for Stenden university .

too expensive for such a location with such quality,...

too expensive for such a location with such quality, outdated and unprofessional. they even removed the complementary chocolates after the room service cleaned the room.

An enjoyable experience

The hotel was very good. The student staff were very friendly and behaved in a very professional manner. We really liked having tea and coffee making facilities in the room, unusual for a Dutch hotel ! The food in the restaurant was very good and the whole dining experience was unusual and very enjoyable. The centre of Leeuwarden was only a 20 minute walk from the hotel.

A great hotel further from the centre

Nothing important. The bathroom floor was not always warm and water seemed to be hotter in the morning and in the evening than in the middle of the day but we thought it may be part of the sustainability programme...I guess we wouldn't have even noticed it if our stay was shorter.

The staff of the hotel, many of whom are students, offer an exceptionally attentive service. It was nice having a coffee machine, kettle and a mini fridge and heated bathroom floor. We dined at the hotel restaurant Wannee twice, and both times were very enjoyable. Thank you for a great experience!

The breakfast was excellent

The staff was nice but the reason for the bad review of the staff has to do with the fact that I went to the reception with a question about my air-conditioning and the receptionist did not know the answer and said someone would come to my room to assist me. No one ever came so this why.

The breakfast was excellent

Very friendly employees (they deserve great feedback!
    • Comfort Double Room

Walking from the reception desk to the rooms, through the school, is not very positive in the weekends. Empty hallways don't bring great atmosphere.

Very friendly employees (they deserve great feedback! :-) ), fine dining in the restaurant. Overall it was a very pleasurable stay.

Comfortable bed and good toilet.
    • Comfort Double Room

Unnecessary things such as their night service, which is closing the lights and curtains definitely not needed. In room dining is terrible and not enough English channels.

Comfortable bed and good toilet.

special concept, run by students (only).

Hotel rooms are in a complete different area. You have to trespass part of the school building to get to your room. Way finding (signage) could be improved.

special concept, run by students (only).

I would definitely recommend it.
    • Comfort Double Room

I would definitely recommend it. It was supposed to stay one night and we stayed 3 .. Easy to park. Young and smiley people at the reception and all around, came twice to ask if we need something extra. Lovely, clean and spacious rooms. Just perfect!

Good located hotel on a walking distance to city center.

Nothing to complain

Good located hotel on a walking distance to city center. Our room was large, clean and very comfortable. Same for bathroom. The restaurant and common lounge area was lovely. Staff very helpful, polite and make you feel really welcome.

Student run hotel with 100% effort put in

Check in and the hotel are some (walking) distance apart, with access through the university. Seems a bit odd to drag bags through an active student area when there is a door leading outside to the carpark but it is not available for use.

As mentioned, the hotel is run by students, who are very polite and keen to make ones stay enjoyable. Room was nice enough, comfy bed etc. The worm chocolate was diffrerent.... not sure on that one! Breakfast was nice a little over attentive with multiple students asking how breakfast was, 5 minutes apart. Driving into town was a breeze, parking underground was full since it was market day, Lovely city. Great leaning tower to rival Pisa.

Would definitely recommend this location for great stay in Leeuwarden

dodgy bedroom door key-cards that are temperamental to work and on three occasions needed reprogramming in order to be able to open our room door.

Friendly staff with a willingness to help, the accommodation is a good walk through the college and away from the hotel main reception so when the keycard for the door did not open the hotel room door, our concierge walked back to get another key, it saved us a long walk! Secure bicycle storage and clean public areas and spotless warm comfortable rooms. A credit to those young professionals who made our stay all the more enjoyable.

Comfortable and clean, but a bit spartan.

The location it too far from the center of the city and from the train station. A bar or club open in the evening would be a nice amenity.

Breakfast was great. The staff was very helpful. The place was closing for school break on my last day and felt a bit awkward.

5 star hotel and restaurant at 3 star prices

Beds are very comfortable. Airco was goed. Staff very friendly and helpful. A bit more variety in the restaurant menu would have been nice, but the food was excellent and very cheap for the standard of cooking.

Very pleased with the service and location

all fine

very nice Breakfast, the hotel belongs to the Stenden University, means the students doing training on the job, young , energetic staff,really nice.

A comfortable hotel with attention to detail and a fabulous restaurant
    • Comfort Double Room

The location was fine for me because I was there on business with the school. It is about a 10-minute walk into town. In the beginning it was a little challenging to find the hotel because you have to walk through parts of the school to get there. I wouldn't say I didn't like these things, but it's good to have this information before you go.

This hotel is great value for money. It's part of the school and is run by students. My room was large and well-equipped with coffee, tea, a coffee machine, kettle, some unique chocolates and sparkling and still water. Nice comfy bed and good bathroom. Breakfast was great and I also had dinner at the restaurant one night which was fabulous!

This is a training hotel for the university, so the hotel is...

The hotel entrance at first sight looked like a side door, and I wasn't entirely sure where I should go in. It could be better sign posted. The hire bikes were good, but the lights were battery powered - if you hire a bike and will use it in the evening, check the lights before you take it out (although many Dutch people do cycle around without any lights, I would not recommend it)

This is a training hotel for the university, so the hotel is run by the students. There is a high level of service and the staff are all very attentive because of that. The breakfast was very nice. There were some complimentary chocolate bars in the room for me - as the university has a culinary arts programme, these were experimental and had interesting ingredients. I liked them - although they might not all have been to everyone's tastes.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

The hotel was lovely and the staff were exceptional.
    • Comfort Double Room

We liked everything about the hotel.

The staff are an asset to the hotel. I would highly recommend anyone to stay at the Stenden. My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed our overnight stay. Many thanks to all of the staff for making us feel so welcome.

Ervaring die je bijblijft.

The breakfast is the best I have ever had in The Netherlands. Because it is different from all the other continental and English breakfasts. And it tastes wonderful. So fresh

Perfect Stay

Bed was 2 twins put together instead of a Queen. Wish we had more time.

Super clean hotel with AMAZING service and an interesting concept (a hotel school). One of the nicest hotels that I've stayed at and loved the extra touches, including the welcome chocolate. Very close to the Centre and good parking. Staff was so accomodating!

First class and to be highly recommended.

Nothing. Perhaps a rubber mat in the shower, but I'm sure, had I asked this would have been provided.

The courtesy of management and staff. Gluten free food readily available. Wheelchair provided as distance from bedroom to dining room was quite a way. Really a first class hotel and one the students deserve to get good jobs at the end of their training. Well done everyone.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

The staff were very positive and friendly, the room clean,...

The evening meal took far too long between courses, but the restaurant decor and service were both very good Also, this is not a criticism........just a suggestion. The internal decor of the hotel is very smart, but the entrance is just a little plain, like a fire exit. The signing is good, but if a more attractive front door was built into the existing space, plus some new window surrounds on the windows just to the right, it would make a more attractive and welcoming space..............plus some potted plants.the style and wood on the restaurant exterior would form a good basis if extended to the left

The staff were very positive and friendly, the room clean, spacious and well maintained. The price is very reasonable, perhaps reflecting it is run by students; but this is a positive as they are so keen. It is only a short walk to the town centre

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Great staff!

Maybe the rooms are a bit too far from reception and restaurant, but good walk before going to bed

Great staff! Very helpful, nothing to complain about

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

Very sympathetic place to stay in Leeuwarden

Nothing we didn't like, perfectly good value for money.

This is a 'training" hotel, so the staff is made up of students of the Stenden Hotel school. Very friendly kids, all trying their best to make your stay a good one. Welcoming atmosphere, the room was a good size and comfortable, free parking on site and the hotel is conveniently located with easy access and close to the city center.

An unusual stay, but worth it.

Probably the strangest hotel I've stayed in as it's actually a hotel school. The layout is unusual as the reception and bar area are at the front of the building as with most hotels, but the rooms are at the back and to get to them you have to walk through the school. The staff are plentiful and the service is excellent, as you would hope for in the circumstances. You do have to give some of them some time and patience as they are learning on the job, but they didn't fail to be attentive and helpful. The bar and restaurant are good, and the rooms clean and comfortable, if a little basic. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from town, and 20 mins from the station. A decent price too. Overall a novel and interesting stay.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

Large premises that belongs to an scholl.

The entrance of the hotel it's a bit hidden, it looks like a normal side door. Dinner: the 4 courses looked most like appetizers than real courses. Their presentation on the plate was amazing...but real taste somehow was missing.

Large premises that belongs to an scholl. Very professional and skilled student staff. Breakfast had everything one could desire. Big rooms with large bathroom. Super service.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

We were greeted warmly by all the staff.

We were greeted warmly by all the staff. There was a quiet buzz and purpose about the place. It was a fascinating experience and all the young people were willing to talk to us about the college and their course. We particularly recommend eating in the restaurant - excellent value and innovative food. The staff were clearly proud of what they were achieving. We will be coming back!

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

Stenden Hotel - Leeuwarden

Room 208, Curtain drapes fall too long, completely covering the radiator and cause loss of heat. Room was cool during the night and did not benefit efficiently from the central heating. Borrowed Hotel Steam-Iron which was dangerous with a defective flex cord with exposed cable, burn marks on baseplate made it unusable. Hairdryer did not function but was fixed during my stay. Lack of attention when room was made up on Sunday, with no coffee creamer and the toilet roll was not replenished. Concern over the complimentary chocolate bar containing Freeze Dried Mealworms as can easily be eaten without realising ingredient and loose nuts could potentially be an allergy or choking hazard. Garden courtyard outside bedroom window could do with a gardening revival, as looked quite untidy and sadly let the overall good standard of the hotel down.

Comfortable Beds, Quiet Room, Coffee Machine, Kettle and Hairdryer. Very polite and helpful young staff members. Excellent secure bicycle storage facility.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Sleeping in comfort
    • Comfort Double Room

Hoovering of entry hall to restaurant should definitely not be carried out when you are taking breakfast in the morning. Lights near window should be raised and the reading lights above the bed.

Good Wifi access, quiet. Lovely beds.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

Excellent hotel at very reasonable price

The location is slightly outside of the city centre, but still within a reasonable walk (15 mins). Also, getting from the front desk to the room itself meant walking through part of the school itself. If you're looking for a perfectly polished stay, this hotel is probably not for you. If you're looking for a clean room, good food, and an attentive staff, though, this place is perfect!

The Stenden hotel is run by hospitality students. While there were little glitches here and there (due to new staff), the overall experience was excellent. Our room was very clean and the staff was always available, friendly, and helpful. We also enjoyed the attached restaurant (also student run), at which we received a fine-dining meal at quite a reasonable price. The breakfast buffet was also excellent. Overall, we very much enjoyed our stay.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

Highly recommended

Very comfortable beds (firm without being hard) and a selection of pillows. Nice touch are the complimentary water, coffee&tea and chocolates & nuts. Rooms are spacious and quiet and have a properly working AC. Good toiletries. Staff is courteous and helpful (and seen that most of the staff are students still learning the trade of hospitality many so called professionals from established world wide hotel chains can take an example from them)

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

Young and ambitious students hotel management will make this stay perfecr

This location is operated by students hotelmanagement. Their attention and dedication will make your stay perfect. Also free parkingspace available and a perfect restaurant.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Very very enjoyable.

We were too hot under bedding provided and there was no other options.

We like everything, but the breakfast was something else.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Our visit to Stenden Hotel

Great staff and the tasting menu at the restaurant Wannee was fantastic- michellin star food for half the price.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Nice student-run hotel with good breakfast.

At times skow service at breakfast. Coffee not strong enough and difficult to get refills.

Delicious breakfast

Excellent hotel!

Staff, room, breakfast, everything was excellent! I booked this room for friends and they loved their stay! Thank you!

very nice stay
    • Comfort Double Room

The distance from entrance/restaurant to our room.

It is quiet and comfortable. Kind students and staff.

Super friendly and helpful staff.

Super friendly and helpful staff. Very interesting to see the school part while reaching the rooms. Breakfast is simply amazing.... don’t miss it!

Breakfast!

Price!

Breakfast! Everybody wants to please you!Very nice and clean room!

Fresh, friendly.

Very long walk from reception to room, far from parking, long way to haul luggage.

Very clean, staff anxious to please

The students and supervisors were so helpful and really did...

The students and supervisors were so helpful and really did their utmost to make our short stay excellent.

Great place to stay

Long way from lobby to rooms. Bit far from the center, yet well connected by bus

Staff.. extremely helpful and friendly

Great!!!
    • Comfort Double Room

Everything, especially the kindness of the staff. Many many thanks to Francesca and Marta :-)

Nice hotel run by students of the hotelschool

Extreme friendly employees/staff/students

Surprisingly impressed!

Bacon was lovely and crispy. Students were very nice. Location was close to centre. Lovely building

Excellent service

Excellent service

Would definitely stay again

Very clean and staff excellent. Modern accommodation

I left the hotel with the feeling I will visit it again if I...

I left the hotel with the feeling I will visit it again if I come in the city in future

Svery clean, Nice and helpfull staff

Svery clean, Nice and helpfull staff

Alles was perfect in orde.

niets

Alles was perfect in orde.

Perfect

Niets

Alles was prima

Nice and clean room, quiet and excellent value for money.
    • Comfort Double Room

Nice and clean room, quiet and excellent value for money.

Excellent stay and very friendly staff

Very clean room, modern and spacious, comfortable bed. The staff were very friendly. We will always come back here with great pleasure

Back to campus.

Location within university building was not sufficiently described on web.

All facilities were adequate to good. Room was quiet.

Recommended

Stenden hotel is a hospitality school and the service was excellent they are doing a great job.

Will look for another hotel in that area.
    • Comfort Double Room

The dinner made by students. Have to pass the whole school to enter your room. The hotel is full with students.

The bed and the shower

The staff is very friendly.

The staff is very friendly. I also like the chocolate and the coffee machine in the room

Excellent value for money

Very attentive staff in this student run hotel. Everything works well. A short walk from the town centre. We also highly recommend the restaurant.

Cleanliness, good food, friendly staff, room layout and...

Cleanliness, good food, friendly staff, room layout and contents.

super
    • Comfort Double Room

bar cosy. very good and delicious restaurant. smiling service. nice price . Funny way to get the room...

The staff were so friendly and went out of their way to make...

The staff were so friendly and went out of their way to make you feel welcome

Browse Stenden Hotel traveller photo gallery