Reviews of The Historic Huis ter Duin 5 stars

#8 of 23 hotels in Noordwijk aan Zee

Based on 2014 hotel reviews

Not 5 star I'm used to
    • Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

Expensive for one night no details in room about hotel facilities or breakfast did not get asked if we required any help for additional coffee or that you could have an omelette or pancake or fried egg. Nothing to say about mini bar being extra and parking. Let down by housekeeping in deluxe room.

Entrance is the only thing that gives this motel the grand status

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Overall it was a great stay.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

I will agree with some other comments. The rooms can be a bit out dated. When they cleaned our room, they didn’t give us any clean glasses.

The hotel is very grand and enjoyed the theatre of it. Parking was easy, but had to pay. Our view was stunning from our room.

Central European beach holiday paradise
    • Double Room with Land View

Amazing hotel, beautiful facilities and restaurants, very friendly staff, great energy, spacious room, clean, classy interior design, right next to the beach

€255 buys you steerage accomodation and second class treatment in a 5 star hotel unless you argue.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

Absolute bait and switch through Booking.com. "Deluxe room seaside" for "special" price of $255 was, in reality, a worn out, ratty room in a non-renovated part of the hotel with old amenities, worn and stained carpet, cigarette butts under balcony railing and much more unpleasantness. The pictures on the website are misleading. Completely unacceptable for a 5-star hotel! In my discussion with a member of staff this morning I said that this kind of action made me feel like a second-class customer - even having to take a separate, ugly elevator to reach the rooms. Awful feeling! €255 for this? I understand now why the woman who checked me in didn't make eye contact with me! She was embarrassed! Or should have been! I told the staffer that this kind of trickery creates conflict with the guest and that I cannot be the only one who has complained about this - to which he said, "no, you're not." I am so disappointed in this hotel's approach to customers that even the upgrade to a better room hasn't fixed it for me. And, oh, the surprise €12.50 parking fee is also a nasty thing to do. Guests are captive to the hotel's location! What, am I supposed to walk with my luggage from somewhere else? By then, I was so disgusted that I didn't argue the parking fee.

Breakfast good, terrace brasserie very good, service from waiters at both brasserie and breakfast very good. the guest relations manager Gerard was very friendly and solved part of my issues by giving me a room upgrade.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Great time!

Liked everything.

Beautiful classic beach hotel, child and dog friendly, yet quiet and peaceful. Lovely terras and beach restaurant in addition to restaurants and bars inside of the hotel.

Location, Food & Drinks, Staff (with the exception of...
    • Large Charm Room with Land View

Rooms are slightly dated (in terms of design/looks, etc), but work well and are clean. Balcony could have been cleaner and could have some seating arrangements

Location, Food & Drinks, Staff (with the exception of some of the male receptionists who were on the arrogant side). Service has been very good.

Excellent enjoyed our 5 days
    • Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

There is nothing we didn’t like except having to pay 12.5 euros for a sun lounger if you have a swim.

The staff are all excellent will always help when needed. The breakers restaurant on the beach is lovely The position of the hotel is excellent as you can walk in to town within 5 minutes where you will find great shopping and restaurants. We have been to this hotel 3 times for short breaks and would highly recommend it to anyone .

Super cosy bed, awesome beach location
    • Charm Room with Land View

We tried to have dinner in the beach club and there wasn't a table without a reservation for that evening. This can happen, but we did not feel welcomed and the communication of the fact was strange at best. Sending us upstairs to the hotel restaurant again to ask if there is a table still available is not customer friendly. I would have expected that the waiter would have called them to give us the information. Luckily there are enough other nice places on the beach!

Great welcome and a very comfy bed. Nice breakfast!

Best choice for beach hotel in the Netherlands

Very nice, old fashioned beach hotel: a combination of luxury and kid /dog friendliness. Quiet. The service is great. Many areas to sit, eat and relax. One of the few, hotels in The Netherlands that lies directly on the sea..Our family has been coming here for 5-6 generations and hope to keep doing that.

the view & location is awesome but no 5 star rooms nor 5 star service
    • Large Charm Room with Land View

this is the sevond time for us in this hotel. This time we got an upgrade for free but the room was very old. Especially the bath room was terrible and needs renovation. I have never seen such a terrible hair dryer in a 5star hotel. The add. requested bed was not ready at check-in and also not when we returned late night.

upgrade to seaview room, parking at reasonable cost

I stay quite often in this hotel, and specifically like the...
    • Charm Room with Land View

This time check out was a challenge and leaving the parking was a challenge too. I did not get support i would expect from this hotel staff, and i was delayed as in total check out and parking problems took me 20 minutes, which resulted in traffic hours in the morning. It is not the first time I have difficulties with check out here..

I stay quite often in this hotel, and specifically like the location, the beach, the Breakers restaurant on the Beach, the size of the rooms, the atmosphere in the hotel in general.

Breakfast in the great ballroom did not appeal to us- the...
    • Suite

Breakfast in the great ballroom did not appeal to us- the quality of food was good, however the room was far too big and impersonal with far too many people- it felt like a canteen. The beach restaurant was permanently overbooked and although we were guests of the hotel, we did not manage to get in on 3 consecutive days. The pool and wellness area were closed for repair, without any prior announcements being made! A very luxurious hotel but level of service needs to be worked on.

Not a completely happy bunny
    • Deluxe Plus Double Room with Sea View

Had a problem with our bedroom due to overflow pipe in the wall from outside (or so the reception said). As the weather was horrendous, awful rain, there was a gurgling sound all night from this pipe. It was like water emptying after a bath. We were moved at 4am, after staff tried to find another room on our floor. The gentleman couldn't believe my husband had managed to sleep at all. I wasn't so lucky. He likened it to a choking pigeon (not my description). There were problems with a number of rooms they checked. The staff were very helpful but no compension was offered apart from an upgrade when we return. I don't think this will be happening. Hotel room was rather dated and in need of refurbishment. No where to hang dressing gown, which was provided, in the bathroom. This is supposed to be a 5* hotel. Breakfast was rather expensive €20pp at hotel, even dearer though through booking.com. I know we were unlucky with the weather, which wasn't hotels' fault but indoor piping is. They actually thanked us so that they can correct the problem for their next guests - great!!

Great location not too far from Keukenhof Gardens and on the beach. Which was the reason we'd booked in the first place. Nice and quiet. Dressing gown and slippers included in room. Large bedroom, comfy bed and warm soft quilt. Back of property leads down to the beach.

Nice hotel ... but
    • Charm Room with Land View

They tried to charge us more than the booking.com amount!!! There were 2 different types of coffee capsules in the room and nobody could tell the difference between the two.

Excellent location. There is a bistro restaurant next to the hotel with good value for money.

Lovely room. No pool due to maintenance. Booked the hotel specifically as it had a pool!
    • Suite

The fact that we couldn't get a reservation!

I am afraid that we only spent one night at the hotel. We couldn't get in to any of the restaurants as we didn't know we had to make a prior booking for Dinner

My wife's parents had stayed in the hotel regularly in...
    • Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

The hotel seeks to be classy but falls short of its aspirations. As a Grand Hotel it does not quite work just like the coffee machine in our room. Someone should check that the cleaners actually clean, not leave dirty cups and glasses in the room.

My wife's parents had stayed in the hotel regularly in the 60s and 70s. We were on a trip meeting relatives and visiting sights from my wife's childhood. We spent two nights in the hotel. Of course things have changed and for the most part the experience was positive. The food was good and as the weather was nice it was great to sit outside and have a spritz or a wine, eat bitterballen and walk on the beach.

Super relaxing and comfortable.
    • Double Room with Land View

Super relaxing and comfortable. Definitely high end in a peaceful location. Carpeting was a little old but I had my dog and figured they put pets in certain rooms...also I got a sea view when I paid for a city so I was SUPER happy :) Beds were comfortable and staff was very professional. I’d drive up there again just to stay there. It was so peaceful. Absolutely perfect only complaint is the pet fee is about 50e when most hotels are no more than 15e...but that’s really the only complaint.

The hotel itself is plush and very cosy, the location is...
    • Double Room with Land View

Not being able to get a jug of tap water to go with the great wine we ordered was both bewildering and unwelcome. I do not want or need designer water to accompany my wine - please do something about your policy as this would have made a difference to out stay!

The hotel itself is plush and very cosy, the location is superb and the staff exemplary! The beach bar is worth a visit, the food there was very good . The staff were very accommodating and friendly and nothing was too much.

They promised a one kingsize bed and we had a king size bed...
    • Double Room with Land View

They promised a one kingsize bed and we had a king size bed with two matresses. Also booking stated that the pool was closed for reparation so we didn’t expect to use it but it was open so it was a pitty. A little noisy and some bad smell on the bathroom

Overpriced hotel
    • Large Charm Room with Land View

There was an incident at night. There was violence on the hall way between a couple. Whatever was the reason we dont know but it was pretty bad. The hotel did not take action but did know the next morning. They could have at least offered a gesture instead of sorry we did not do anything.

nice staff. a bit overpriced in the restaurants.

I really like the location.
    • Double Room with Land View

The new electricity system in the room. Why do you need to make it so complex? you really need to study it, and - the worst - even when you switch off everything, you still have some light in the room. It is not nice to sleep with still some light. I personally don't like it.

I really like the location. It is a bit further from the airport, but it is still in easy to reach distance and gives enormous relaxing nature place (the hotel is on the beach). Very helpful staff. Nicely refurbished rooms.

Loved the interiors and design of the hotel!
    • Charm Room with Land View

Breakfast buffet was disappointing. Scrambled eggs from powder? You can tell it’s not fresh and real eggs. Chocolate muffins were also so bad that my daughter (who loves chocolate) had to spit it out and wipe her tongue clean; i had to do the same when i tried it. Didn’t dare to try the other pastries. Variety was good but quality was below expectation.

Loved the interiors and design of the hotel! It lives up to it’s name “grand”.

1990s luxury in a fab beachside location.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

Dated (1990s) decor. Expensive. No jacuzzi in pool area. Pool cold. Small bedrooms (we even got an upgrade). Average breakfast. Very Dutch - not really catered to international guests (no English reading material, all other guests were Dutch - unusual for a 5 star hotel). Very old bathrooms. €12.50 charge for parking (no mention in advance, car park was empty as it was winter).

old style luxury. Great location by the beach. Great service. Great dinner in Breakers. Sea view. Rituals toiletries in the bathroom. Comfy bed. Really good duvet. In room wifi. Nice sauna area.

Most enjoyable and Memorable......would definitely return.
    • Large Charm Room with Sea View

Not sufficient milk sachets and sugar in room. Hotel Guide not easy to read! Particularly for English Speaking Guests.

Staff were very friendly and accommodating! Breakfast area and food was amazing! Location was perfect and the Beach Restaurant was phenomenal.....service great and food was heavenly!

Excellent hotel
    • Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

The hotel was clean and welcoming. The staff immediately made you comfortable and helped with any queries. The room was very clean and we'll presented with lovely addition features to enjoy your stay.

Large, very comfortable bed, room quiet.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

Large, very comfortable bed, room quiet. Amazing view over large beautiful sandy beach and then out to sea at back of hotel. Great breakfasts. Lovely group meal at hotel's restaurant down by the beach. Staff very helpful. Enjoyed the swimming pool.

Great place to be!
    • Deluxe Plus Double Room with Land View

The hotel is beautiful and confortable. The friendly staff makes you feel welcome .The service is excellent , they make you feel great and appreciated. We really had a great time!

Wonderful location on the beach, good restaurants inside...
    • Large Charm Room with Sea View

The pillows (too big) and the fact that the card key system didn't work properly. Exchanged them 6 times in 3 days.

Wonderful location on the beach, good restaurants inside & outside.

Stunning beach position
    • Charm Room with Sea View

Im afraid the breakfast on each day was expensive and really not up to the hotel standard. The service was very poor, very slow and every time I had a hot drink it was tepid warm. The hot buffet food had been standing so long it was dried and cool and not at all appetising. Food ordered to be cooked in the kitchen took so long to arrive that my breakfast was finished. The selection of fruits/breads and cold meats was acceptable, but only had one two slice toaster for the whole restaurant which was an utter joke. On one morning residents had to carry breakfast from one restaurant to another as it was closing to get ready for early lunch, not what I would expect from 5 stars.

The Hotel has a very relaxed atmosphere. The beach club & terraces are excellent although the service is not too swift. The Beach club has a lovely relaxed feel and the meals were excellent it has the most wonderful atmosphere. The beach is so close to the hotel and the views from my charm room were exceptional. The swimming pool was lovely and warm. Overall it was very pleasant stay and I would highly recommend for a relaxing weekend in the summer.

Nice but too expensive and in need of refurbishment
    • Deluxe Plus Double Room with Sea View

The hotel is old and needs refurbishment. The hallways and elevators were not super clean. Breakfast room was nice but massive and had a bit of a canteen feeling to it. Balcony tiny and with concrete, very uncosy.

The gotel is very well located, with convenient parking and...
    • Double Room with Land View

Generally the rooms merit already a slight renovation, you start to feel it.

The gotel is very well located, with convenient parking and helpful personnel. The access to the sea side and the city is very convenient. Breakfast is ok.

A relaxing and luxurious get-away to the coast.
    • Double Room with Land View

The entrance hall is too dark. It could be more welcoming if it is lighter inside. During the summer its not that big deal but during the winter time, it is too depressing I think.

The bed was huge and comfortable. The breakfast was wonderful. A lot of choices and the location was great. The staff at the check-in desk was very helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Great hotel but avoid busy weekends
    • Charm Room with Land View

Even though I had mentioned it when reserving the room that we would like separate duvets/covers, and had confirmation e-mail from the hotel, the reception staff did not know and did not manage to tell housekeeping .. only when I asked housekeeping myself it was changed. A minor thing: The system with registration plate recognition in the parking never worked. Long queue for check-out.

My second stay in the hotel - this time a busy long weekend. The room was nice, big and a very nice bathroom with Rituals amenities. Very nice breakfast buffet with a good choice .. even though it was more cosy last time where it was not in this huge room (a bit like a charter holiday feeling - a few separating walls would do wonders). Pool looks nice - unfortunately full of children this time, so did not go there.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Horrible experience
    • Large Charm Room with Sea View

The staff when we checked in we're not informative about anything. How we needed to use the room card for turning on the electricity. How we needed a towel card to get a towel st the beach. Nothing. Horrible front desk service. I booked a room with 2 beds and got one. Went to the front desk again and they said that room doesn't come with 2 beds. So I said that why did it show me a picture and tell me it did online. They didn't care. The manager didn't care. The bed was so hard we were in pain. Left early. Will never stay here again

Very nice location and good hotel
    • Large Charm Room with Sea View

Swimming pool and spa is very dated No kettle in the room and no room menus Couldn't call reception from the room

Beautiful view and lovely hotel. Family club for kids is amazing, very kind stuff

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

I really had expected more.
    • Double Room with Land View

The breakfast choice was rather limited and not at all the expected 5-star level for a holiday stay. This was really poor and no recommandation for the hotel. Possibly due to pre-season (May) and limited number of guests. Noordwijk is not a location for shopping during holidays.

Directly located at the beach.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

Bit old-fashioned and outdated hotel with bad bar/lounge staff.
    • Double Room with Land View

The staff was not well trained and not giving any service. Not even polite. Only exeption is te front office, they gave excellent service. Staf at the bar/lounge was lazy, just not walking around so you could not even order anything. Staff did not had any knoledge of the food and was just not friendly. Housekeepimg does not greet you at walking by. Lack of education. Pool and steambath area outdated. Oldfashioned. Rooms clean and spacious. Bathrooms outdated.

Check in/check out proces perfect. Parking good. No concierge. The location is perfect.

Beautiful views and ambiance
    • Deluxe Plus Double Room with Sea View

We loved that we were able to bring our two dogs with us. We weren't so happy that they were not permitted in any of the restaurants or bars on the property.

The sea views were great and we loved the ambiance of the hotel property. The hotel was very conveniently located and we were able to drive easily to our chosen sites. Many choices of restaurants and bars were within walking distance and most allowed our dogs inside.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Top quality 5 star hotel with great beach restaurant to easily access Keukenhof Gardens.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

Dogs barking in nearby hotel rooms .

The Restaurant on the beach was superb, delicious food and great ambience. Hotel was high quality and rooms very comfortable with beautiful sea view .

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

We absolutely loved the beaches and royal feeling in the...
    • Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

The hotel facilities and the the rooms really needs a good face lift since it felt really really old and out dates. Especially the outside of the side complexes, the bathrooms and the interior.

We absolutely loved the beaches and royal feeling in the hotel

Watch your bill!
    • Charm Room with Land View

upon arrival we were told that we had to upgrade because of children in rhe room. at check out there was an extra 50.- fee apart from the upgrade. a manager was very unpolite and refused to take it off untill I said I would write the GM. she did not greet us. a discrage for a 5 star hotel and a 375,- room rate breakfast excluded.

location and lounge

Great location but an out of date look and feel
    • Double Room with Land View

This is a 5 star hotel, but to me it seemed a bit out of date. The hotel and rooms do need some paint and it looks like the hotel was perfectly in style 15 years ago. Now the classic interiour feels some old. The ginger lemon tea (4,50 EUR) I ordered came without lemon and was cold, not hot at all. While checking out, I got two receipts to pay for they weren't mine. And the barrier refused to open as we waited 10 minutes before driving out. Some small things, but I don't expect this in a 5 star hotel.

De location of the hotel is perfect, right next to the beach. The bed was very big and comfortable with nice soft pillows. We had multiple nice and big towels in the bathroom. The room was spacious and offered all I needed. They have a good lost and found service. We had an event in their beach house Breakers which was perfect: great location, staff and service!

Not a 5* experience
    • Large Charm Room with Land View

The service (reception, restaurants) was very average. During phone call we were given wrong information on the price for the kids, when mentioned that at the check-in we were told that we must have had not understood. Breakfast - average. Common spaces and swimming pool - rather dated and would need some renovation/refreshment. Even though the hotel was informed that one of us would celebrate birthday, there was not one simple gesture (not even "happy birthday" at the check-in). Certainly not a 5* experience.

Location (on the beautiful beach), comfortable and big room. Nice cafe outside.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

Great place for a weekend getaway
    • Large Charm Room with Sea View

The staff was very friendly and helpful at check in and check out. They also helped us make dinner reservations and offered to help arrange bicycle rentals. The property is right on the beach and our room had a great sea view. The room was clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Excellent location
    • Double Room with Land View

The length of the bed (2m isn't good enough for me). Pillows are huge, quite uncomfortable for the neck. Room has not been renovated yet, clean but old.

Wonderful location, friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

Bed was comfy.
    • Double Room with Land View

Pillows too much depth for sleeping .Dog pillow way too hard could not use we used the dog towels provided. Hotel should advertise dogs allowed not dog friendly as they are not allowed in bars/private lounges or restaurants only the lobby and bedroom

Bed was comfy. Good wifi. Helpful staff at checkin and with luggage. Good service in La Terrace for dinner

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

There were 4 pillows on the bed but all of them where pretty...
    • Double Room with Land View

There were 4 pillows on the bed but all of them where pretty big (high?). A combination of 2 big pillows and 2 smaller ones could give the guest a choice for I like smaller pillows.

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

Wonderful beach-side hotel
    • Charm Room with Land View

The room felt a bit cold with the curtains drawn as the radiator is behind the curtains and the heat is not getting into the room. And the electronic device to indicate whether you want room service etc. has small lights that are a bit annoying at night when you're trying to fall asleep, also because they're reflected in the mirror. The possibility of making a cup of tea or coffee in the room would have been nice but there's no coffee maker or kettle. Public transport is a bit inconvenient, especially if you'd like to spend a day in Amsterdam or elsewhere (Utrecht, The Hague). Most would require a taxi, at least to the nearest train station, which isn't very cheap in the Netherlands.

The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful and they all speak English. The room was very clean and comfortable and the restaurants that are part of the hotel are absolutely fantastic! The food was excellent and very well presented. The view from the sea-view room is wonderful and it's very nice that the window can be opened. It's not too far away from Schiphol Airport (about 40 minutes by taxi) and the hotel can organise the transfer for EUR 85 one-way. The bathroom has lovely Rituals products and was kept very clean. It's lovely to walk to Katwijk from the hotel over the beach and both Noordwijk and Katwijk are very pleasant beach towns. The beach is also very clean and wide. Apart from the beach it's nice to follow one of the dune paths for a walk in the direction of Zandvoort. The hotel is situated at a quiet and pleasant location.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

Fantastic Hotel and Staff. WOW amazing experience we all had!
    • Large Charm Room with Land View

Everything from service to friendly staff amazing hotel loved how dogs are allowed in as well. Atmosphere awesome can't say we were unhappy with anything❤️ It!

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Great stay at the Huis de Duin
    • Double Room with Land View

Shower was hard to get into asbath high and the fixture did not hold making it jarf to shower.

I love the relaxed yet beautiful surroundings. You feel special from the moment you come through the entrance.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

An excellent weekend stay
    • Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

Some prices high - service in restaurants was slowish

Luxury and comfort- excellent food- good service- beautiful seaside position with direct access to Beach

Beautiful place.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

The bathroom could use an upgrade

Beautiful place. Very well placed

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

great and the concierge was brill.
    • Double Room with Land View

stuck up toffs staying who look like they have a rod up their butts.

great and the concierge was brill.

Outdated

I had a room on 9th floor with an amazing seaview - highly...
    • Charm Room with Land View

I had a room on 9th floor with an amazing seaview - highly recommended. Really nice restaurant.

4.5

Room. Old and dated.

Very nice hotel, lobby and restaurants, very nice staff. Room old, not clean, out of date, and not appropriate for the facility.

Most things were good
    • Deluxe Plus Double Room with Sea View

Far from train station. No jacuzzi

Most things were good

Weather

Food was good. Nice for 1 day stay I guess

Location was fantastic.
    • Double Room with Land View

Location was fantastic. Able to walk to nearby restaurants. Ocean view was beautiful.

Great service, location, seaview, breakfast, bar.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

The pool was under renovation.

Great service, location, seaview, breakfast, bar...everything was just perfect.

Very comfy, great location, no fuss.

Shower head fell apart!

Great bed with comfortable mattress, great view.

Great location with steps from the hotel right down to the...
    • Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

Great location with steps from the hotel right down to the beach and sitting in the beach side restaurant watching the sunset was fabulous.

• Double Room with Land View

Old fashioned style, parts of the hotel definitely need an upgrade.

Lovely weekend in a superb hotel
    • Deluxe Plus Double Room with Sea View

Sea View from the room. The friendliness of the staff doing their utmost to make our journey perfect

Wonderfull!
    • Charm Room with Land View

Pets not allowed in restaurants

Pets friendly

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

Cold room.
    • Deluxe Plus Double Room with Land View

Cold room. Not possible to regulate the temperature or not working. Small beverage service in the room. Minimal Coffee and teabags.

Brasserie food

Service in bar

Brasserie food

I had a wonderful stay at amazing place
    • Suite

The masseuse I had at the spa was to inexperienced no power 💥

The view from the room and what a beautiful room it was!! the restaurant on the beach

The best hotel in Nordwijk
    • Deluxe Plus Double Room with Sea View

The must hotel when visiting the European Agency!

missed the baked eggs.
    • Large Charm Room with Sea View

Massage was short and soft. Not very good

missed the baked eggs. They had scrambled eggs however. Loved the sauna area

Great room overlooking the beach

Great room overlooking the beach

Sea hotel
    • Charm Room with Land View

An update will be necessary

Close to sea

Location is excellent, nice hotelbar
    • Charm Room with Land View

Cousins and bedcover were synthetic

Location is excellent, nice hotelbar