Reviews of Hotel De Looier 3 stars

Derde Looierdwarsstraat 75, Amsterdam City Centre, 1016 VD Amsterdam, Netherlands

#374 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

6.2

5.6

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

I liked the location, 3 minutes from the bus station from...

Maintenance of the equipment could be better, the sink tap was loose and some lamps from the bed lamps were broken and a broken mirror

I liked the location, 3 minutes from the bus station from the airport. Very good located in Joordan area, close to the center. We walked everywhere through the city and didnt need any public transports. The breakfast was good, just the fried eggs could be better. But many different choices.

Well positioned hotel, comfy beds, breakfast AOK. just sad room was musty.

Room 24 very musty as no opening windows, safe not working and towels etc not changed. Rubbish removed beds remade. We were offered to another room but told safe would be fixed-didn't happend. Fan certainly helped with lack of air.

Reception very helpful on finding our exact boat dock departure.and getting cab to take us there

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Avoid this hotel!!’

Where do I start..this hotel is shocking!!Firstly when booked the hotel the price indicated £297 for both nights, however when checking this on the day it had increased to £306 and then was charged £311. when asked to pay the complete payment I advised the receptionist that there was already £165 payment pending from the hotel on my card and therefore did not understand why I was asked to pay the full amount. The lady tried to explain that there was it had been ‘blocked’ and asked me if I want it to be ‘unblocked’ to which I agreed as I was unsure as to what had been blocked. She then processed to compete one payment, £143.79, which I was unaware was in euros and charged me a transaction fee of £4.60 then made a further payment of £167.35 where it hand set asked if I wanted the payment in euros or Stirling. I was unaware of this fee until I checked my bank account as was not made aware of this at the time of payment. On top of these frustrations I am absolutely appalled at the state and conditions of the room in relation to the price we payed. We ended up paying nearly £158 per night to which the room was shocking inadequate. I complained about this at the time to be told that there was only one other room available however it was the same standard as the one we were in as the hotel was fully booked. I was advised to ask the following morning if a room was available following check out on the ground floor as these rooms have been refurbished. How can the same charge be made for rooms that haven’t been refurbished as to ones that have? I therefore asked for a reduction of the price to compensate this to which I was advised I would have to send an email following my stay which I have done,twice with no reaponce!! I really am disgusted in the whole ordeal.

Breakfast was the only passable thing for this hotel.breakfast staff very helpful

Comfortable, honest, well located.
    • Quadruple Room

A mini-bar (even if empty) would have helped.

Easy access coming from the airport. Comfortable, clean, near the central attractions though located on a quiet back street. Without unneeded luxury it met most of the expected requirements. In room coffee, tea and kettle were a bliss.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Okay.

It was okay, but for the price I would expect a little more. It was clean and orderly but our room was very, very hot. In the bathroom there was a window, but you couldn't open it.

The location was really good and there was an elevator, which is not usuall to find in Amsterdam.

The property was comfortable.

We need towel railing and hooks to hang clothes in the bathroom.

The property was comfortable. The staff were very helpful and approachable. I believe the property is getting renovated. This may make the rooms more inviting.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Overall amazing, great place to stay will be returning

Nothing, everything was amazing.

Everything, the staff were lovely and helped with everything that they could. They were very polite and cleaning standards were high. Every night it was quiet and had no issues. It made our birthday holiday that extra bit special.

Amazing !

There wasn’t any air con in our room, we had a noisy fan to help us as it was mega hot, late 20’s early 30’s, but at the end of the day it’s cheap! So you can’t complain at all.

Every single memeber or staff was so friendly, approachable and very helpful! Location is great, 10 to 30mins walk for all your attractions (or if you don’t like walking, trams everywhere and easy to access)

Stay somewhere else, pictures are deceiving

We are not ones to complain or leave reviews and I stayed in a hostel last time I was there which was cleaner with 10 in a room... but when its nearly 200 a night ,Room filthy, complained and were told no other rooms and they would send cleaner up again, was exact same when we came back, no where near good enough

We got to leave was the best thing, ground floor reception looked good(deceiving) once you go upstairs, I'd imagine prison hallways and rooms would look better and be cleaner

Good breakfast and location

In my bed i found some strange black bugs and in the morning I found a lot of bites on my body. It was bites of bedding blacks.

Good breakfast and location

The staff were very friendly and helpful!

The hotel is further out from the town than we expected

The staff were very friendly and helpful! Excellent customer service! The room we had was a very good size!

The location is perfect.

I paid an unexpected £10 extra for a tourist charge, it was due to the currency exchange rate changing which is complete rubbish. Was not happy with that. The bathroom door did not lock and the telephone didn’t work. The room was small. Not a value for money. Breakfast was simple, no hot food.

The location is perfect. The bathroom shower was good.

Good no-thrills option in centre of Amsterdam.

I couldn't find a good place in the bathroom to store my toiletries. My room was on the ground floor next to the entrance, which meant I could hear whenever somebody came in - even late at night.

The room was quite large, the staff very friendly and helpful. Location is great. There's someone at reception 24/7 . Decent speed wifi which was easy to setup.

We stayed here for a city break.

We stayed here for a city break. Great service and Amazing breakfast. Location is Excellent . Near to tram and bus station. Also supermarket and restaurant are close to the hotel.

position, centric.

quality of breakfast, air conditioning is missing, the staff does not well take care of the rooms, bathrooms and especially walls: for such price, the hotel should be tremendous better.

position, centric.

Ok for 1-night stay, if you are looking to save money, and 20-min. walk from city center.

Walls are thin and I could clearly hear all conversations in the hall and in adjacent rooms. Cleanliness was ok, however, there was dirt on the walls. Overall, it felt a bit cheap. No air conditioning in the room. Coffee bags were old and cheap looking.

The person welcoming me at the reception was nice.

OK location but like a well-used and noisy dorm. Only for the young or those who only want a bed.

The hallway and rooms were like dorms to us (we are in our 60’s) and well-worn ones at that. We were shocked because the photographs made the rooms look so nice and the two we had were creepy and dark. Very noisy neighborhood, lots of people partying well into early morning, and floors creaked inside hotel. Only other guest we actually saw - even at breakfast saw no one else - in two nights of bad sleep, walked by furtively and made no eye contact. Front desk guys did not smile. Carpet stained in places; didn’t meet wall in other places. Cheap lowered ceiling in rooms with some tiles stained and one gaping open when we arrived. One dim overhead light in each room. Two dim light boxes for bed in one room; two flimsy lamps in the other. One room phone had no dial tone. Bathrooms in each had floors raised about 3 inches above the room floor level, causing one to trip and stubs toes if not careful. So picture shows we marked it with orange peels. Sharp plastic shard on floor in one room. Wall panel in one room that had a dozen or more inexplicable patches of sticky stuff left where something had been torn off the wall. Staff sometimes smoked at open doors, causing halls to reek. De Looier, consider advertising yourselves to the young, and those who want to party well into the night and just want a place to crash!

The hotel was conveniently near tram line and restaurants. The breakfast staffer was pleasant. Food was fine and plentiful.

The hotel is in a great location for exploring Amsterdam,...

The rooms were very worn down, some furniture were broken and ventilation in the rooms were bad. For the price we paid, I had much higher expectations. The beds were hard and uncomfortable.

The hotel is in a great location for exploring Amsterdam, with about a ten minute walk to the city centre. The staff was both friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean.

Bed very comfortable.

No vent or window to open in bathroom so it was always very hot and steamy in their even after short showers. Rooms didn’t come with hair driers. Weather was 79 F and the room never cooled off even with window open.

Bed very comfortable. Staff provided bassinet for our baby.

Noisey!!!

The walls are paper thin so it was extremely noisey. Could hear everything from all rooms. Baby screaming, children yelling, conversations, it was terrible & I was glad to leave. Would not recommend this place

Nothing really. It was just a place to stay

Great location, crap g hi

Hotel very run down, in desperate need of repair, the walls on third floor literally have chunks missing, the floor is bumpy and creaky, the net curtains on the window are cut and shredded with horrible yellow staining (from catching in the window when it's being opened and closed I'm guessing) old cheap wooden doors offer little privacy and no sound proofing as we were woken anytime a guest even walked down the hall with the creaky floors! Cracks in toilet seat, doors badly damaged, lights broken. Hotel is actually very clean but very poor/non existant maintenance. Won't be back I'm afraid.

Comfy bed, very good continental breakfast, great location

Good!

Not very luxurious, but it was still the best compromise on money and location for our dates.

They changed our towels every day even though we didn't ask and kept them away from floor. They kept our room very clean every day! Staff 24/7 and very helpful and very helpful and polite!

Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Our room was on the ground floor right next to the front door and lobby, so it was a little loud, but otherwise fine.

Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Hotel just okay. Not near city center. Staff very accommodating.

For a 3-night stay, the room was not freshened every day. No tissue in the tissue box container. Bathroom sink faucets - hot and cold were reversed: cold on left but faucet had red indicator; hot on right with blue indicator. Taxi driver had difficulty finding the hotel from the Centraal Station.

great location but basis accommodation but not budget accommodation

See above.

The photos of the rooms are nothing like the actual place. We had 3 rooms between us and each were poor. We had requested single beds in one room and got a small double, the quads room had 1 window and the other one looked boarded up so very dark, main light bulb in that bathroom also didn’t work. Tea and coffee facilities were not replenished any day and towels rough to feel. Hotel should be advertised as ‘great location but basis accommodation but not budget accommodation’. They should also update their room photos as totally misleading. For the money be paid the only good thing was the location , won’t be returning.

Good hotel

I had to change rooms after one night because the room I booked was not free for the days I booked

It was very close to everything I wanted which was handy.

Pleasant in a very peaceful area.

We stayed in the ground floor that was sometimes a bit noisy due to guest getting in and out.

Staff were helpful and pleasant. The bed was comfy and the room spacious (triple room). Breakfast was good. Close link to tram and therefore easy to get around town.

Brilliant location.

Photos make the room look bigger. Could have done with milk for the tea and coffee.

The reception lady was friendly. The room wasn’t tidy. Shower was good.

Hotel does not warrant 3 stars, ok for very short stay

Bedroom very shabby and tired, when you had a shower the whole bathroom floor was wet. Noisy bedroom as we were next to front door, and people stood outside and smoked and left their cigarette ends lying

Location excellent, staff friendly and helpful

Nice place if you dont need to much luxury but prices are to high for these rooms

No bin for garbage in the room or in the hall, no airco, no hairdryer, extremely noisy at times (from rooms next door or same floor), squeecking floors

Good breakfast, just make sure your payment does include breakfast! Nice area, close to main museums, nightlife, canals. Friendly staff

Large room, comfy beds, new bathroom.

Room too hot, no way of turning the temperature down. No mirror in bedroom and no plug in bathroom so impossible to style hair properly. Noisy at night. No nets/privacy screen in windows which faced onto the road so was unable to open the curtains (ground floor room). Room decor was very dark especially with no natural light. Supposed to be refurbished rooms but think it was the bathroom only

Large room, comfy beds, new bathroom.

good location, however, the price was unreasonable for the quality

price was not worth the hotel/room quality bathroom/WC had glass door, thus no privacy no tea in the room

quite clean room, and good location

Very noisy.

Very noisy. You can hear every person pass in the hall. Especially the cleaners if they are cleaning a room beside you. We were awake at the crack of dawn ever morning which was very disappointing considering we were on our holidays.

Good location and staff, could be better value.

Breakfast not worth the EUR 9.50 charge - you're better off heading out and exploring other options. Facilities passable, if not a little cramped.

Quiet, backstreet location. Not far from transport links and nightlife at Leidseplein, and various attractions around Jordaan. Staff helpful. Supermarket around the corner.

Fine overall.

It would not be fair to say that we didn't like anything. We had a problem and they sorted it out.

We liked the helpful staff. The room we were given the first night was poor - cramped and tatty. The next morning we were able to move to a better room which did represent value for money.

Loved Amsterdam. People very friendly and helpful . Room awful for price paid. Not so close to cent

Broken lamp We booked 2 separate beds but was given a double Didn’t clean room so had to go to reception to report this Room fart too small for two people Room dirty

Friendly staff Comfy bed

Really disappointed with the room. Nothing like what the pictures looked like. Room seemed to be an office they had converted with dingy furniture.

Good location.

Pleasant stay
    • Quadruple Room

The room was cold the first night but they refunded a little of the first night so its OK but it would be better to pay attention to rooms quality like painting the doors or ... to make it look better.

Nice staff. Clean room and comfy bed. All in All nice stay

Don’t go to Amsterdam to stay in the hotel

Very noisy in the morning, cleaners banging doors very early, on our last morning they knocked on our door an hour and a half before we had to leave the room. The room was very hot with no temperature gage to turn it down. The room was very small and the bathroom tiny. Hotel needs a little TLC

Staff were very friendly

Ok but not great

Bed was uncomfortable and shower was useless. Bathroom needs updating and the radiator in our room made a lot of noise, would have been nice if it actually worked too.

Location was good, and staff friendly

Ok

Price was to high for what you get it's very basic wouldn't stay again One small light for room The toilet and shower had cracks The floor was really noisy The tv was fuzzy and didn't have much of English channels Had ants over the bed and floor

Location was really good

Very basic, small hotel. Expensive considering the quality of rooms.

The room did not look like it did in the photos online. It was much smaller than expected. The interior design of the hallways were outdated and the floors were creaky. The place was more like a hostel than a hotel. It was expensive considering the quality of the hotel.

Heating for the rooms was available. A house cleaner cleaned our room very well the second day of our stay.

Clean and friendly

There is nothing it was a brilliant we hotel, only down fall is it was a good we walk to dam square about 10mins, depending on how quick you walk.

Great hotel, staff were friendly. Was really clean, fresh towels everyday. Breakfast was grand if you like bread, yoghurt, cereals and salad. We stayed in rooms 25,26 and 22. They are doing the rooms up I think at the minute, as two out of three rooms were very modern and the other wasn’t.

It was average standard but felt some points let it down that could have made the stay more comforta

The room was cold - we had to ask for extra duvets. The bed wasn't comfortable and it had a very thin mattress that kept sliding off the bed.

The shower was great, very hot and powerful. The breakfast room was nice and the lady serving was very friendly.

Can get a alright view on top floor, staff some friendly but...

The rooms needs some serious maintainace! Had to move rooms and both had none functioning ceiling lights, dirty on walls, one had a broken toliet and hand rail falling off in other very big room very small radiator and tempt outside was -5 degrees, would not pay the amount we did to stay there again!

Can get a alright view on top floor, staff some friendly but mostly helpful, location good

Lovely area and I would stay again.

I didn't have any complaints.

We had a lovely stay at hotel De looser. Although we didn't stay indoor much , it was warn and cosy when we did go back to the hotel. Staff were friendly and polite.

Good location and friendly staff.

Very disappointed with our room as it looked nothing like the pictures and was very small and stuffy. The walls and floors were very thin and could hear everything. The bathroom was not pleasant at all, especially the shower.

Good location and friendly staff.

Not what I expected

The room we had wasn't even close to the pictures advertised on the website. Small room, not clean and toilet far from a three star hotel. You can't have a shower without splashing everywhere and make the floor all wet. Half of the bathroom lights were not working, the TV didn't have clear reception, overall not a three star hotel.

overall always good to stay here

Nothing to put your garbage in , no hairdryer, noisy floor

Always a good breakfast, and that is something you lack in most hotels in Amsterdam, even the more expensive ones. It is in the heart of Amsterdam. The location is really perfect

I was meant to stay there for 3 nights but ended up staying in another hotel for the last night....

The pictures didn’t look at all what the rooms looked like. You could hear everything going on in other rooms. Dark and small rooms. For what you pay it’s 100% not worth it.

It was quite a good stay even to things that I didn't like it but hotel can improve it.

The room was not detailed cleaned, I found socket below my bed. The room that I had was very dark with lack of light. In the toilet there was any ventilator.

This hotel has quite good placement, it's very close to tram and bus stops so you can go whenever you want. Trip to Central Station or RAI takes more less 30 minutes. There is very close to supermarket with healthy food and standard supermarket not so far away, that you can go there by foot. The receptionist was very helpful and always with smile.

Book it inly if it's the only option.

Way too expensive for the quality it offers -270 eur for 1 night with towels ripping apart, spider web on the sealing, col air coming in the room under the entrance door.

20-30 minutes walk to the center. The staff was nice and helpfull.

Bud experience. Fortunately it was only for a night.

Not very clean, the shower was broken, uncomfortable beds that smelled dust.

The receptionist when we arrived, was super helpful and smiling, we where given a wrong room and she updated us to bigger room. The breakfast was fresh

Great location & the staff are the best things about this hotel but I probably wouldn’t stay again

The hotel was very noisy & needs a makeover! We could hear every time someone walked past our room & the walls are very thin! Looks a lot nicer in the pictures!

Beds were comfortable & hotel as clean as it could be but is very dated & needs new carpets & paint! The staff extremely friendly & helpful, great location, close to tram lines & coffee shops & only 10-15min walk to closest square & train station!

To be clean is the basics

Staff seemed ignorant towards guests. Very defensive when asking about a strong urine smell that we could smell throughout the hotel, even our room. Breakfast was so so, nothing special felt very no frills. Stains throughout the rooms were very off putting. Photos on here do not reflect the rooms whatsoever don't be fooled by these photo shopped images. (We had a view of a messy garden, the front of hotel isn't even the same colour as the pictures and this is not from age. I could go on) refurbishment was mentioned and this is understandable but i didn't see anything that made me feel like what they see as an improvement would make anyone's stay any better. This hotel would be better off just having a week where they close and just do a deep clean. Guests would appreciate this alot more than a fancy reception and fancy coffee machine in a breakfast room. (Dust everywhere. Very dirty room apart from bed. Slapdash cleaning.) Staff also could benefit from being retrained in health and safety. We asked for a plaster, still never got one. Dont think they had any. Also an alarm went off at one point and room next to me was asking me what to do as we were not even being told anything by the staff. Guests were panicking and staff were not botherd. All in all cheap experience so didn't expect alot and we didn't get a lot. Don't like to complain but a hotel being clean is the basics. Mabe the 3 stars wont last at this rate if things don't change. Felt like iv stayed at much better unrated hotels within same location for around 10-20 Euros more (this being my 3rd time here)

Really nice reception area. Breakfast area seemed new. Was only around 20 min walk from the station. Location was quiet.

Very Basic!

some staff were rude, gathered around the reception talking, eating crisps. Bedrooms and hallways were very grubby, the bathroom was the size of a tiny cupboard.

The breakfast was nice and a couple of staff

Nice hotel

Location is quiet far away from the city centre, have to get a tram as it took us 45 mins to walk. Breakfast is nothing special.

Hotel room was quiet big. Staff where lovely and really helpful. Nice bathroom. Iron and hairdryer available at the reception.

Everything you need but not as nice as the pictures!

The room wasn’t the same as the pictures on booking.com. Very basic but it has everything you need and you get what you pay for. We had a lovely stay here.

The staff were lovely and extremely helpful. The breakfast was everything we needed. One bus ride from the airport. You get what you pay for.

Good location but very small room

The room was very small, the toilet was very small with the shower very temperamental, switching between hot and cold water. The room would get very warm at night and once you open the window, it would be freezing, there was no happy medium.

Great location with friendly staff. Free breakfast was a bonus

Disgusted at the cleanliness

The cleanliness in the room and bathroom was appalling, with dust everywhere, the floors dirty, grime in the bathroom and black marks all over the white walls. The room needed decorating and maintaining as the light cover had fallen off, the furniture was all marked, the walls were covered in dirt, the ceiling tiles were broken, there was dents and breaks in the door and there were huge brown and yellow stains on the chair. The bedding was all old and marked aswell. Really disappointed.

Room great, staff good, long walk or tram ride to tourist attractions

Only got breakfast once wasn't an awful lot on offer, 25min walk to main part of city but close to tran stops, would be hard to find without google maps

Friendly staff, room we stayed in was recently renovated, close to tram

Dirty and

It’s dirty and terrible smell. In my room I found pieces of cigarettes.. and smell in bathroom was very bad. Room on 3 floor looks like it’s 1 star hotel

Place is near of center

The staff was very friendly and helpful, service with a...

The lighting in the room was very very poor, the room was dark and dull. Also the light in the bathroom was broke and kept going out while we was showering. Also on the booking it said city centre, but it was a 20 minute walk to the centre so we spent a lot on taxis!

The staff was very friendly and helpful, service with a smile!

Great hotel minus cold shower!

Due to it being a boutique hotel, by the time I showered the next morning the water was no longer heated. Cold shower! :( Hotel staff was to check with maintenance to check "tank". Get up early to shower or shower the night before.

Comfy boutique hotel. Great location - as we were able to walk almost everywhere. Loooovvveeed the heated floors in our hotel room. You'll have to request an iron - as it is not provided in the room. Breakfast was included - nice spread of options. The hotel was very accommodating and held our bags for hours after check out. Comfy beds.

AS FOR VALUE OF MONEY IS CONCERNED WE CAN ACCEPT TO STAY MY RATE WAS 110 EUROS.

TV IT WAS POORLY MAINTAINED CHANNELS WERE NOT CLEAR ONLY FEW WERE CLEARLY VISIBLE WASH ROOM BASIN WAS CHOKED THOUGH IT WAS FIXED BUT TAP WAS STILL NOT WORKING PROPERLY.

staff assistance, politeness, immediate help, guide towards day planning.,problem solving.

average place good location

Tv wouldn't turn off, walls were paper thin could hear every step and every word from everyone, room was so dark even with the curtains and lights on! Could do with a more modern look

Breakfast was decent, staff was helpful when I saw them, shower was good

Good location but would never stay again

Smashed mirror, fan only worked when light was on and it was a tiny light that barley lit the room, shower was clearly blocked, suitcases weren't put in a secure place they was put in a room anyone could just walk in a take, hotel need take new pictures as they falsely advertised thier hotel and bit joke tbh.

❤️Amsterdam, Hotel was ok as base for short stay but wouldn't rebook or recommend.

Rude staff, nowhere secure to leave luggage before checking in or out. Holes in towels, stains on carpets. Room price way to high for standard of the hotel. Greasy/dirty hand print on back of bathroom door and on headboard. Stains on the wall. Rooms extremely tired looking and in need of updating and freshening up.

Shower was good. Bed was comfy. Room service every day... clean towels, beds made and tea/coffee replenished. TV had several English channels. Great location.

good location,the rest not good

they gave us a room with no heating,no towels and super creepy.we asked to be moved because it was too cold and the 2nd room was not too bad.you pay the location only as the rest is very poor.

very central

Compfortable bed friendly staff but to many thinks wrong if I’m honest.
    • Quadruple Room

Lift was terrible, when we arrived the shower was broken and leaking, the safe didn’t work and the hotel card system didn’t work either. We found ourself having to get a new room card about 9 times over 5 days witch is bloody ridiculous if I’m honest.

Very central only a few mins walk from all the action.

Overall had a nice

Not much facilities in the room. Room was rather small, had to squeeze around the bed to get to the other side. No air vent in the bath room or air freshener. Also there was a problem with checking out as the receptionist said he cannot find our check in details So therefore could not check us out. Apparently the room we was in showed up as empty on the computer which is quite dangerous if there was a fire etc.

The bed and pillows were comfy. The bathroom was nicely decorated and clean. The bed was made everyday.

Bad for business. So-so for holidays. Floors and internet need a full revamp. Good breakfast.

1) Rare internet. On my 5 nights there, I've had a half decent internet one night, a very slow (translate mainly unusable) internet 3 nights, and no internet at all 1 night. It has seriously hampered my ability to work (and no, restarting the router is not the solution). 2) The old wooden floor is making shrieking noises when you walk. So when the people above you or in the corridor walk, you can't really sleep.

1) Nice full breakfast in a modern basement room with a charming lady in charge. 2) Convenient location neat Leidsenplein.

Ok for an emergency stay

Very tired looking room, 1 bedside light not working, broken mirror in room, tiny shower.

The location was not bad. There is a tram stop nearby and a bus to the airport.

If somebody wants only the location then they can stay.

1st day was a very bad experience. Even requesting before they could not give me a room on the 1st floor with a window. The room on the ground floor which ad got was too dirty. Hair and spider web in the room. The toilet was also not clean.

The hotel is very near to the centre of Amsterdam.

Rooms very small. Nothing like pics shown on site. Tv not working, no soaps or shampoos in bathroom, tissue box empty, even after talking to concierge. Very very disappointed!

Browse Hotel De Looier traveller photo gallery