Reviews of Miauw Suites, canal view city centre hotel

Hartenstraat 34, Amsterdam City Centre, 1016 CC Amsterdam, Netherlands

#150 of 250 B&Bs and Inns in Amsterdam

Based on 226 B&B reviews

Bathroom could have been more desirable.

The view of the canal and city were incredible from our room. The hostess was so helpful and very sweet and accommodating.

The property is mostly self check in and out so if you need suggestions for places to eat etc. there isn't anyone to ask. Also there is no air conditioning so it can be quite hot. Lastly, don't underestimate how steep the stairs are to the rooms, if you have any mobility issues or are clumsy like me this might not be the place for you, especially if you're carrying heavy luggage up to your room.

The room was beautiful! The location was really great because there are nice restaurants and shops nearby and it's very close to a tram stop so getting around the city is very easy. Plus it's quiet at night and the bed was comfy so we slept well.

He noises of bikes all the time but it can’t be helped!

It was nice and peaceful and so pretty at night, we could see lights on the canal when it went dark, really cute!

Steep stairs are as default in Amsterdam. In black room there was a problem with the shower, only 1,5 minutes of nice water, after that it changed to hot. We were visiting 5 nights so we learned to be quick. I texted about this to staff, but I guess the problem was too big to solve at the moment. Bathroom was also quite special, shower by the door and after that the sink.

Nice location, of course by the canal. Nice shopping, breakfast, restaraunts nearby. Tidy black room. Nice bed. No staff bothering nearby and texting with her was ok. Everything was clean. There was normal city noise in the background. Coffeemaker in the room was ok. Nice closet in the room. Nice athmosphere.

You need to know that it is old Amsterdam house flair😉 Very steep stairs, old windows which let in noise and cold (there are electric heaters though), and later build in plastic cabin bathroom. I didn't mind it but it could be a disappointment if you don't know.

Very charming typical old Amsterdam house flair!

I would be being very picky if I said there was anything that I didn't like.

Bed was extremely comfortable and the views are amazing! Location was perfect for us, only a short walk from anywhere we wanted to go. Great value for money.

They charged the price of the room twice and it took me two weeks to have my money back. COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. It was supposed to have a computer and although it wasn’t no one told us about it in advanced. The staircase is narrow, very nice and Amsterdam style but if you have big and heavy luggage or any difficulty for walking it could be a problem. Besides, the light gets into the room since the doors are made up of glass and it can be disturbing, it would be much nicer with a thick curtain.

The location is excellent, near Dam but in a nice and quiet area. The room has everything you may need and someone cleans it everyday.

They have tried to be a boutique hotel. We were given the black room. Very poor lighting, no hot water the first night, staff entered room without knocking on door (twice). No coffee, fresh towels only when requested and room not serviced. Bathroom - once you have had a shower the floor remains wet in doorway. Very disappointing.

Central to tourist attractions

• Suite

The bathroom was more of a wet room. However don’t let that affect you from not booking with Miauw suites as it’s just a minor issue.

The Green room suite is where we stayed, it felt homely the bed was amazing!!! Beautiful views of the canals. Specially at night. I usually don’t write reviews but I felt I had to leave a lovely review. We are looking to stay there again hopefully in May.

the sink is really small, separated brom bath room. There is not enough places on the room to put the luggage or garments. We had to put everything on floor! the fridge was out of order. They must precised that the step are very vertical in case they will have oldest guest.

the style of furniture, the view and it is on a very nice quartier with design shops. A nice suite.

The room needs updating and we could hear everything going on in the building. Especially when people walking up-down the stairs, but you have to keep in mind that it is an old building.

Superb and central location with a very comfortable and big bed. No TV or radio in the room, which meant going out and exploring the city even more.

The front door bangs VERY VERY loudly :( but I understand why this is, it is because the property is unstaffed, so they need to make absolutely sure it is closed for the safety of everyone staying in the property.

Big room VERY clean and tidy VERY comfy king size bed Tea making facilities BIG bathroom/wet room FANTASTIC big shower with great water pressure Toiletries, Towels, Bath Robes

Quirky decor, our room was black which was not to our taste and had a wet room which is also not to our taste. Also the door to our suite had opaque glass panels which meant that the landing light came into the room during the night.

• Souterrain suite

Access, which is down a short but steep flight of steps, could be difficult for older travellers. It's a basement flat, so there's a lack of natural light in the bedroom. The shower could do with a shower screen.

Tasteful furniture and decor, well-appointed kitchen, surprisingly spacious and fantastic location.

Stairs were narrow and steep but Anika kindly carried out bags up so it was no big deal. Truly though that is part of the charm of Amsterdam architecture.

Anika was so very helpful and thoughtful. The location was perfect with a beautiful canal view. The bed was sooo comfortable! Heaven. And the room was supplied with a kettle, coffee and a French press which was wonderful. They also thoughtfully provided a little snack with stroopwaffles, raisins, nuts and a carafe of water. Very nice after a long trip.

When I looked at the pictures they showed for the room, I booked it. The pictures shows a couch, TV/ or computer. A small kitchen to cook. The room I got was just a room with terrible lighting. My girlfriend and I had just got engaged at Gassan Diamonds and I was looking forward to the nice apartment to spend the night. I was very disappointed. Especially on my special day. This place was not worth the money I spent.

We arrived on time at the apartment with no one there. I phoned, no reply. I phoned again and left a message, no call back. Stuck on the street. I called again and a girl answered telling me she had emailed me, no email EVER received. She then talked me through the key system. After eventually getting cases and my daughter upstairs, the apartment was like a greenhouse. Decor extremely dated, stained and shabby. There is NO WARDROBE OR DRAWS so you can't put any clothes away. There was a wire rack with 4 wire hangers. There is no TV but a Apple Mac that didn't work. The shower and toilet are built in a wooden frame within the bedroom ? The shower flooded the entire floor, so was promptly turned off. The fridge is tiny and on the floor. The bed was comfortable but the linen smelt so something over it. Ran out of toilet roll. I decided to leave the next morning and no one contacted me until the following day asking why my keys were there. This is my 18 trip to Amsterdam and by far the worst place I have stayed in. Very very disappointed 😔

Badroom was like a cupboard and water during shower did not drain.

Nice and bright rooms. Well located with a nice view to the channel. Bed was very comfortable. Uncomplicated checkin and ckeckout.

Although the bahtroom definately was clean, there was a very unpleasant smell coming from the drains.

Great location, nicely decorated, well furnished room. Good bed, quiet at night, nice view on the canal.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

No comfortable place to sit. Front door SLAMMED shut each time it was opened. This went on way into the night. Room was painted black as was the floor and black bathroom tile.

No air conditioning. The room was very hot,a fan was provided.31s degrees. The water from the shower leaked out into the bedroom floor due to poor drainage.constantly sweeping the water back towards the shower drain,even having to stop the shower whilst showering to do this,after getting out from the shower one night I slipped on some water outside of the bathroom and fell hitting my head on the wall.my friend had to help get me up luckily I did not sustain a injury.it is hazardous. The bathroom appeared as an afterthought done by a handyman and not done professionally. The spiral staircase was charming but unable to get the luggage up to your room so therefore the luggage had to stay in the lobby making in inconvenient when having to access your suitcase and very hot also in the lobby.

The room was spacious with the sitting room overlooking the canal.friendly staff . Clean bedding and daily towels.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Souterrain suite

Excellent location still in the center but out of all the mass of tourist areas. Right on the canal and surrounded by amazing shops and comfortable restaurants.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

the stairs to the upstairs room were very challenging for older people almost dangerous no television or radio or clock in the room the bathroom was a cupboard with toilet and shower at the end of the bed and the tiny sink was in the bedroom, very disappointing the temperature was 26 degrees and I couldn't open the windows, apart from a few centimeters with a book underneath

The Bed was comfortable and the few was great

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

The room was a little cramped with our toddler but nothing we aren't already used to for Europe. The nearly floor to ceiling windows were unusable for us with the toddler - we would have loved to have had them open in the gorgeous weather but it wasn't safe. The cleaners came and took the dirty towels away but didn't replace as many as they took. We saw the clean towels stored downstairs so we grabbed a couple from there on our own on one of our trips up to the room so we were able to solve that problem. Really, nothing bad about the place that wasn't expected for Europe (or with a kid) or that was much of a burden.

We stayed in the Black room and the bed is by far one of most comfortable beds we've slept in, in all our travels in Europe. We never saw any employees but they either had everything we'd need in the room or sent in via email. Easy to get to and located in a great neighborhood. Would stay there again if we are ever back in the area. Liked that the owners or the last people that stayed were logged into their Netflix account so we were able to watch movies in the evening. The computer speakers could use an upgrade... :p

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

Sometimes there's a bit of extra effort arranging to pay and the lock boxes can be temperamental but communication is easy and things are worked out easily.

I adore this location & the Dutchness of it all. I like that's it's not a traditional 'hotel' and the design is innovative.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

-the narrow steep staircase makes it more challenging for elderly to bring luggages up and down -no wash sink and shower tray or screen in the toilet cubicle. Need to dry toilet floor after a shower.

-the location enables easy access to transport and food outlets -nice window view of canal -polite staff

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Nicely sizes room with comfy bed and good sized shower room. Situated in a quieter part of town (less noisy) but only a 10 min stroll to the tourist areas. Nice cafes and bars nearby that are much nicer than the main central bars.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

the black room had a constant clicking noise that couldn't be turned off.

cool downtown location. almost everthing can be reached by a short walk. the manager is very kind and caring. Superb shelter for every amterdam trip.

An elevator?

Fresh water in glass carafe, nuts and dried fruits, mints to nibble on arrival, nice amenities, canal views and proximity to Anne Frank Museum

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

If you're a super-sensitive sleeper, you might want to take ear plugs, as single glazing means there's a bit of street noise.

Perfect location and a beautifully presented suite. A lovely base for exploring Amsterdam as a tourist, and chilled out and peaceful enough to get work done if you're on business. We'd stay again in an instant! Thanks Miauw Suites :)

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

The light that came into the room when other guests didnt turn them off, i think they should be on a timer. Stairs could be difficult for people who have mobility issues A weird ticking could be heard top left of one of the windows at night

Staff were wonderful, very welcoming Room was spectacular Snacks were left for us Staff also provided a fan for us without asking Cleanliness was never an issue The location was amazing Felt welcome Bed was massive

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

very steep narrow stairs, but this is typical in Amsterdam center

tons of large windows, lots of light, large space and amazing view over beautiful canal

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

Being a small hotel, unfortunately it was locked when we arrived at 10.00am on a Saturday morning. Recorded message on phone was no help and eventually consistent knocking on the front door led to the room cleaners letting us in.

Great position within walking distance of most attractions and close to tram stop.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

I stayed in the black room was dark and not much room in the room, there was no facilities and is was very boring room, and just hated going back to it. Next time I stay in Amsterdam it will be a hotel rather pay bit extra. No drinking cups No drinking glasses. Bathroom was hazard when having a shower No clean towels No extra toilet rolls No air con in room.

The location,

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

As mentioned by others, the stairs are steep, windy and narrow. Thankfully our suitcases only had to go up and down once! The small (bar) fridge was rather noisy and we ended up not using it because of that.

Having stayed in Amsterdam previously, we wanted to be near the "9 streets" area where it is less crowded and less noisy. The Miauw apartment is perfectly located in the area - near enough to all the usual tourist attractions, but still able to 'live like a local' in this quaint neighborhood. Having the extra living space and the sun streaming through the large windows overlooking the canal was a bonus!!

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

The whole bathroom flooded when you had a shower

Very close to the centre of the city in a lovely street in Amsterdam with a canal view. The fridge in the room was a bonus.

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

Stair access to first floor room were very small, narrow, winding and quite frankly very dangerous when trying to get heavy suitcases up them No TV in room as advertised Bathroom tiles were loose and actually very a trip hazard Because bathroom tiles were loose, water flooded the rest of the bathroom and into the main room

• Reviewed: 6 July 2016

We had a black room after hard dance festival. It was complitely black, thats why very convinient to sleep. Nice view, awesome location, tea, silence and joker host.)

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

Choice of teas There was some confusion around keys which were eventually sorted out

Fantastic location in the 9 streets area Proper Amsterdam canal house Tastefully decorated Great bed

Shower sprays water everywhere. My wife stepped out of the bathroom into the bedroom and slipped over on the wet floor.

Position.

Shower, no tv provided, WiFi not working for 2 days Room not serviced till after 5 one day Used wet towels that day

Location bed comfortable

Room was dirty. Very loud. No welcome or contact person available

Really lovely location and view of canal.

• Souterrain suite

Snacks on arrival and very helpful owner

Located in quirky modern area but everywhere still walking distance. Lady at reception is a lovely host. Laid back vibe.

Climbing the very narrow steps up and down daily Condition of windows Extremely small bathroom sink

Bathroom shower could be better designed so the water does not go over the edge of the shower tray.

Loved the decor

It's the ideal place to stay to explore Amsterdam. You can walk everywhere. And the beds are extra comfy!

Bathroom a little funky.

Nice sheets, great view of the canal, convenient location. Coffee and tea and nuts supplied.

In a very good location with a lovely room. Would definitely stay again. Was quiet at night which was nice.

All perfect, but the best is the bed, sooooo comfortable, really perfect sleep :-)

Very hard to carry luggage up to the rooms.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Water, nibbles and a really comfortable bed -

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

• Suite

Amazing

The room was really good value for money and the staff were really helpful giving us tips for the best places to see/visit

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Difficult to find

Location is amazing, Lovely comfortable bed, very friendly welcome

Great location - good bed.

Great location and property. Would definitely stay again

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

Hard time finding the location

Staff and lication

• Reviewed: 28 May 2016

No TV. There is a computer screen but it does less than your phone and is not a substitute for TV.Shower flooded each time it was used and water needed to be mopped up after use.

Good location, comfortable bed

• Reviewed: 20 March 2016

A curtain over the glass door would have made it better.

Great location, easy access to centre but away from the crazy. Lots of little cafe's and shops locally.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2016

The organisation was really bad. At first we had a huge problem with our credit card, because we didn't wanted to send all our CC information per mail. When we arrived they gave as a wrong code so we couldn't get into the hotel at first. The room is also really really loud. You can hear everything from outside. The Shower in the black room was impractical too, because the whole bathroom was flooded afterwards. We also had a really bad smell in our bathroom. There was a strange noise from our heater, which was a bit annoying.

The location of the Hotel is just perfect. You can't get any more central and still be in a not too touristy area. Also the room was really nice, the bed is really comfortable and you even see the canals from your window. I really liked the whole concept of the Hotel, which really made you feel like you are at home.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2015

Room didnt match my booking room. Bathroom was only a shower and lights in bedroom didnt work. Room was not clean, should have used a vacuum cleaner. Had to ask for toilet paper. In this type of establishment, one expects more. Coffee and tea, but no milk.

The hotel is in the heart of the most beautiful area of Amsterdam, magical. All character and authentic, loved it!

• Reviewed: 6 October 2015

Staff were very nice, the room was perfect for a weekend away and having a PC within the room was great to look things up! Also having a frozen yogurt store right next door with free yogurts was a lovely surprise as well! The location was great to, walk away from everything!

• Reviewed: 2 September 2015

Like most buildings there was no A.C. and as a hot natured person I did adapt well to the heat

This hotel was wonderful because it didnt feel like a hotel, i felt like I was living in the city in my own little flat. Great location!

• Reviewed: 17 August 2015

to get in the room after offical checkin times problematic, no hotline to call to solve quick the in general easy access idea with a hidden key

central location, stylish decoration and outfit of the appartment,

• Reviewed: 4 July 2015

There was a power cut over night and because the hotel doesn't have 24 hour staff I didn't have anyone to ask for a candle or similar. Having said that it was an unusually hot day for Amsterdam so I'm sure power cuts don't happen often!

Comfortable room, nicely decorated and spacious for one person. fantastic location, friendly staff. I love that it doesn't look like an hotel from the outside and you do get a feeling that you are living like a local while you stay there.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2015

Shower area could have been more state of the art. Steep stairs and lack of a lift warrant warning for elderly visitors. Lack of reception after work hours gives a "homely" atmosphere.

Central location without major hurdle of the city. Good view of the canal from green suite. Spacious room with nice kitchen facility.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2015

- Serpentine Stairs ( too narrow for a lugguage ) - To take a Shower one has just to stand on the floor ( without any separation with WC & Sink, leads to floods) / as an idea - to keep feet dry - offer your guests a thick rubber mat to cover the floor & slippers. - Internet on MAC war extremely slow - no WiFi found in Black Room - one could hear every step behind the glass entrance door. - no Reception on weekends / that's why I think the room rate is too high - no breakfast - room is too small

- Pleasant & very helpful staff - Location - Canal View - Fresh flowers in the room - Comfortable Bed with many pillows

• Reviewed: 27 May 2016

The communication with the property was impossible . Very bad . I had I problem and she was unavailable .

• Reviewed: 3 May 2016

The stairs

Property was lovely, Bed was so soft & comfortable.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2016

Room had an unusual layout.

Very good location. Although room was fair. Staff were excellent.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2016

No bedside lamps

Super comfy bed, perfect location, cool room, friendly staff. I'd highly recommend and return.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2016

Was a bit noisy - soundproofing could've been better.

Wonderful location, stylish decor, spacious and private.

There are also 38 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Miauw Suites, canal view city centre hotel traveller photo gallery