Reviews of Budget Hotel Neutraal

4.9

4.8

6.2

5.5

Everything apart from the location of this hotel is pathetic. Building is old, rickety and shabby. There were cockroaches and mice running around. Had a bad smell in the room and the hallway. Ventilation in the room was bad even after opening the windows. The common toilets were old and thus not clean. Too few toilets as well. One common toilet for 10 rooms, had to even wait in queue in the mornings. Breakfast was not even edible. I could not finish what ever little i picked up.

The location is right next to the city central railway station

It was dirty and run down. Shared toilet/shower areas didn’t feel private at all. I booked a private room for my friend and me since it’s a mixed dormitory style hostel, but still felt a little unsafe since doors were thin.

The location was amazing and within walking distance from just about everything Amsterdam has to offer. If you couldn’t walk, public transit of all types were right outside the front door. Staff was nice and helpful.

They have vary quality of rooms, which we have to be picky. What I remember it was for 2 guests when I booked from booking.com, when my friend visit me, the receptionist guy said it is for one guest, then I told him I booked for 2 guests but don’t worry he will not stay as he has his own room, he just want to pee. Nobody like stingy person, especially when you have paid for it... might be I am sensitive but I saw even in the morning an old guy also angry by the way you ask him, please learn to communicate as well. Because 100 euros a night is not so cheap so people deserve to get respect and we are buying hospitality as well.

Great location, reception allow me to change the room because of lack of wifi signal, breakfast and view of the reception is good.

Room wasn't clean, towels were ripped and had holes in, there was no bin in the room, doors had punch holes in and there was a tv but no remote.

Location was fantastic. Staff were friendly.

Our room wasn't clean so I had to ask them but the man said the cleaners have gone home .I had to ask for clean towels .

Good location to all the places of attraction you want to see.

The property is very old and entrance looks tatterred.No lift and narrow stairs Location noise wise is extremely loud when trying to sleep but that is Amsterdam Central

Was in a great location over looking canal close to central.Amsterdam is very expensive so value wise nòt too bad..It was clean but very old.Probably suit travellers who like basic clean accomodation

Room was quite small.

I had been staying at quite a dirty hotel and needed to stay one extra night in Amsterdam. Fortunately for me, a bed came up at Neutraal. It was very clean. The annex is brand new. No dirt, mold or anything. There are shared bathrooms but they look brand new and the shower is great and very spacious. There is a sink in your room. The staff were great and easy to talk to. Location is excellent near the train station and the centre of town. Recommended.

Excellent location! We were only in Amsterdam on an overnight layover. The room was very clean, and we were very close to everything, which counts for a lot on such a short stay.

Tiny, shoebox rooms Even smaller shared toilet - you can barely sit down. Shared bathrooms means a lot of doors opening and closing, a lot of doors slaming. No air con - I got quite hot and when you open the windows its quite noisy with industrial fans Amsterdam prices, no real value for money, though the whole city is like this. Better value Rotterdam, Maastricht Renovating so its was quite noisy and half the hotel is decrepit

Great location - close to central station and plenty of food options. Above McDonalds for the munchies! Decent breakfast, got the job done - coffee, eggs, bread, cold meats, cereal Friendly staff

Everything. The general squalor, the fact the stairs were three floors of extremely steep steps to our garret above which a family of pigeons appeared to reside. The obvious damp, at the junction of the roof and outside wall and also the alcove reserved for hanging garments. To put it bluntly I am surprised that Booking.com advertise such an abysmal apology for a hotel, and also that the Amsterdam authorities permit such an establishment to remain open. 100 Euros per room/night for a room of this quality was absurd approaching daylight robbery.

Nothing! The receptionists attitude when any matter was raised was totally negative. She ignored the European Directive on smoking in public places by guests saying " What can I do" We were charged on arrival without seeing the accommodation. The room had only a basin and was extremely small while toilet facilities were ten yards down the corridor. Apologies the breakfast was adequate and the station close.

The lady on the reception was rude, we exchange word of war just because my booking / register on Booking.Com is different from my passport name and she refuse me to check in and insisted me to pay again a fresh if I wanted to check in. FYI I had printed out my booking and show her my identity also my credit card to show proof that I'm the one who make the booking, but she kept on denied it and kept on saying she can't check me in. Just imagine the frustration when it's your holidays.

Nothing that I like about the property except its near by to Amsterdam central station

The rooms were very unclean. The walls were half painted and the carpets weren’t hoovered. The shared toilets and shower rooms were disgusting. I think they were in the middle of renovating the hotel so we used the cleaner shower and toilet across the walkway. It’s not good for couples but great for a lads holiday I expect?!?

The location is amazing! Right above McDonald’s along the main strip. Breakfast is included which is always great!

• Small Triple Room

Extremely Noisy, you can't sleep if anyone make noise next to your room or below =your own room, lot of clients where smoking in their room which was extremely annoying until very late (5am) impossible to sleep. Bathroom was not clean but the room was ok.

I did not expect shared bathroom facilities, but they were clean and I never had to wait my turn. The room had a TV, but I could not find the remote. The hotel was clearly in the middle of a renovation so there were areas that were not so nice, but the area I stayed looked brand new.

The location was perfect. The room and bed were comfortable. The shared bathroom facilities were very clean.

No soap in the bathroom, it wasn't cleaned regularly was smelly, bed was small for 2 people, pillows were not comfortable

Location and breakfast was OK

Room size was tooo small. Hotel is overpriced only because of the location. Having a Basin inside the single room was pathetic Bcs it had water blockage too. No lifts , only stairs that were too narrow. No breakfast even when they say breakfast included.

Nothing. It was hard to spend even one night in this hotel. The bed was too small to accommodate even two people. The only good thing: it is in a good location but overpriced.

Noisy place

Very good location, easy to find, good breakfast, nice veiw from the window, clean, good bathroom. Lots of shops, restaraunts, fast foods and etc. nearby

- A women staff at reception not friendly and helpful. - No trash provided in the room so that everyone dump into small trash in toilet everyday. Every morning will have a lot of garbage in the toilet. So poor! - I spent total 5 nights here. Last night heater in my room out of order so I asked staff at the reception to fit it which he well promised but no one come to my room until moring. So poor!

I got new renovated room in another bulidling on 3rd floor and new renovated bath-room as well.

The word budget in the name says a lot. Things like a sink in the room with no running water were not a plus.

The location near the central train station is outstanding - just a walk across the street. Breakfast here was better than in some places I've stayed.

Currently the place is under remodelation, you will see most of the construction happening around you.

Super close to the Centraal station. Easy to find and go out at night in the city. Room and shared facilities are clean.

Excellent location .

Beautiful location just have 5 minutes away from central station . Just front have boat station . And closed All good resturent where eaisly can get food .Also very closed museum and shopping centre.idealy located .

• Small Quadruple Room

Hotel could do with a face lift !!!

Hotel is a little run down , but I expected this , as the location is excellent , 2 minute walk from the train station and amongst all the bars, shops and restaurants

Room was very dirty and old.. so as the whole building. Door is so thin, so you can hear people walking all night long in the corridors. the worst part is shared shower and toilet. shower was filthy and water didn't go down properly, cause the drain was full of hair.. and in toilet there was a huge space between the door and the floor..

Location is good, but its incredibly noisy at night. Staff was ok.

I seen a mouse one night in the corridor. The beds weren't comfortable and I got a rash from the bedding. The window safety catch was broken so when I opened it it swung down and smashed into my face, cutting badly in 3 places. The shared shower and toilets are proper shady, wouldn't stay again in fairness.

The location is the best thing about the place without doubt. End of the day you get what you pay for, it's in a great spot but it's a proper dive. OK for a group of lads. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Amsterdam is an expensive place and with 15k England fans in town the hotels went through the roof. Glad I saved the money on this spot. They did keep the place pretty clean in terms of my room and the bathroom.

If you travel with big luggage, you’ll have to take them up by yourself, there’s no elevator. Sheets also seemed some kind of dirty, althought they didn’t smell bad.

Staff was comprehensive, I could do early check in on a room with private shower inside. Great location, near Amsterdam nightlife and bus/train central station. Good wifi.

• Small Triple Room

Extremely noisy, the employees don't care about sleeping guests and slam the doors very strongly. Toilet was not cleaned enough. The walls are made of paper you can hear everything. There's no blackout curtain so be ready to have light in your room as soon as the sun rises!

Nice location.

Breakfast very limited and no option for people who do not eat pork. There should be chicken or lamb. Put more option like cupcakes. No lift. Hotel smells like smoke. Tv no remote. Very noisy cleaning staff who banged the hallway everytime they pass through.

Absolutely awful place!! Walls made of paper, dark and dingy place. Imagine a smack head/prostitute house and you won’t be too far off with the “hotel”

Close to city centre

The hotel is horrible and dirty this is actually an hostel sold as hotel...I didnt like anything

About the hotel (if hotel is the proper way to call it) itself I didnt like anything the only good thing is the location which is just 2 minutes from Central Station

One off the staff members was very rude. Sheets and bed cleanness was not that good. The rooms window would close properly with made some cold air come in.

The location. Shared bathrooms and showers where clean.

How can booking even list this 'hotel'? Amsterdam was fully booked at the time so I ended up booking this hotel and I can honestly say that it's the worst hotel I've stayed in in my life. Everything is dirty and poorly maintained. All of the walls, bed sheets and floors have mould, the place generally stinks and it feels more like a place prostitutes and drug users would crash out. The rooms have a sink and if you need a shower or the toilet, you'll have to share that with the entire floor. Be warned that as its in the centre, late night party goers returning will begin to leave the toilet in a horrific state which isn't the best thing to wake up to in the morning. All of the carpets are thrown on so you have floorboards and exposed walls, there are gaps in the walls, cobwebs, missing bulbs and just dirt and marks everywhere. If I had a sleeping bag I think the street would have been preferable.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

In booking we book with private bathroom and we pay more for that, but in the end our reservation didn't have private bathoom. Fortunally they had a room. If you travel with big luggage you have to climb up tiny stairs.

Bem localizado reasonable breakfast

Absolute pits of a property was a fire hazard and was filthy I wouldn't even let a dog stay there. Booking.com have done nothing to help resolve the fact that they put me at risk by advertising a hotel that is a complete fire hazard.

• Small Triple Room

The whole hotel reeked especially our living quarters. It was a smell that never went away the halls and restrooms all smelled so bad I had to hold my breath when having to use the restroom. Also the shower was so nasty we took sink showers in our room. The cleanliness standards were better on the street. The staff were not very welcoming and the high price tag for this hotel is outrageous after we saw the room and endured the smell. The dirty building and nasty smells made this place so nasty and takes away from the fantastic location.

The only reason people probably even stay here is because of its location. Its right dab in the city centre

It's a far cry from what are shown in pictures. Looks really seedy. Pungent odor- cleanliness an issue. As soon as my wife entered the place she wanted to leave straight away.

The hotel is in very poor condition. I was a little worried when we arrived, however the room was clean and bedding and towels spotless. The communal hallways, stairs and corridors are very run down with flaking paint and writing on the walls.

Location is great, and the breakfast was good in the morning. The staff were helpful and always available. The free wi-fi in our room was unexpected! It worked great, I streamed a film through it.

Television did not work, no satellite antenna connection, staff unable to resolve. Worst point was the thin see through curtain. At night with lights on it was as if the curtain was simply not there and every detail of bed could be seen by people on the bridge from the front of the building outside (Room 33) all other rooms had totally opaque lined curtains. This is obviously a recent cheap replacement. I had to go to street to get a big cardboard box to flatten and put in window, together with a towel, to get some privacy. This is something easily fixed. Photo taken in daylight, much worse at night when every detail can be seen through curtains!

Superb location only 3 minutes walk from Amsterdam Centraal Railway Station, friendly helpful staff, good Continental breakfast. Rooms basic but clean, offer all the facilities required of a budget hotel. Excellent Wi-Fi. City photographs taken from hotel restaurant.

I understand that Amsterdam is an expensive city in terms of accomodation and that this was our cheapest option, but dude, this was filthy. I don't have an issue with small budget rooms, after all I want just a bed to sleep, but the room and all the common spaces were dirty af. In the room: dirt on the floor, dirt on the walls, smell coming from the heating. At the common areas a disgusting red carpet, where the cleaning guy during the breakfast was dropping all the remaining from the tables. Not recommended, better try couchsurfing or increase your budget a little.

The location. That's it.

We had a room overlooking the street; had a comfortable bed and didn't have to share a bathroom, even though we thought we would--we were upgraded when we got there. Very nice of the young lady at the front desk. Also, the breakfast is very good--included in the room rate. Boiled eggs, cheeses, breads, cereals, milk, coffee, yogurt--nice.

Room as front of hotel very noisey made it hard to sleep!

Excellent location close to main station which is a hub for all of Amsterdam's public transport walking distance to dam square tourist centre 2 mins walk easy for booking days out buying tram tickets etc

The bathroom was horrible the rooms smelt. They charged me more on arrival than I was meant to pay. I would never stay there again worse hotel I have ever stayed in. I couldn't even believe that booking.com advertise this hotel

Internet access was sketchy. TV in rooms don't work. Staff is clueless, or simply don't care. Very dirty and rundown, and they make you leave your key when you leave?!....why, I don't know.

Breakfast was good...location is good for train travel.

Will never stay here again. Pokey rooms that make u feel claustrophobic even if you aren't. No private toilet but a shared one that is not clean. No lift so you have to carry your suitcases up many flights of stairs. Pathetic hotel

Just the location

The interior is old, slightly smelly and is in need of some serious decorating and TLC. The doors had cracks in the frame, room directions where written in pen on the wall, communal bathrooms were old and smelt. We didn’t try the breakfast so can’t comment on that. It’s not somewhere I would stay again nor recommend

Centrally located and low prices

• Small Quadruple Room

Washrooms could get more better, they are serving the same breakfast everyday, no elevator not even a staff to help you carry your luggage, sockets are not working

Just 2 mins walk from the train and the rest that you will need its on the grab of your hands

everything the place was terrible would never stay here again and would never let anyone else stay here defo it worth the 240 euro I paid would rather stay in a hostel this is not a hotel.

rooms were terrible not even a toilet in the room had to share toilet and shower not very clean and not value for money

Room 47 was a large twin room which exceeded expectations. Basic but clean and across the road from Centraal, it couldn't been more convenient and better value for money.

The paint on the walls was old and missing on some spots. Carpet was wet and not very clean. Old and not very good maintained building with some dangerous steps. The hotel needs some renovation, but the condition is ok if you have in mind the price.

The sheets were clean, comfortable beds. There was always hot water and the heating worked ok. Breakfast was good and the staff was nice. Excellent location and view. Would visit again.

There were spiral stairs that were difficult to walk up and down especially with a suitcase, the walls were all chipped and carpets stained. It mentions no where that I would not have had an en suite bathroom and would have to share a communal toilet and shower with other guests, there was mouldy on the ceiling and the windows did not close properly, so the room was very loud. Also didn't smell so pleasant once the air fresher had worn off. Even though it was cheap, we still paid well over what it was worth. Would not recommend to anyone.

The bedding and towels were clean. The staff were quite pleasant.

• Small Triple Room

No facilities. Only the bed. Less space and we were unable to keep our baggages. No lift.

Good location within the city. Walking distance to main railway station.

The hotel was disgustingly dirty, with no real attempt to repair any broken walls or wires. Only stayed 1 night and couldn't bring myself to shower there. Check the fellow travellers photos as the Management photos aren't representative of the hotel at all.

The location was ok but super noisy due to the proximity to Centraal Station

Woken up at 9am by the rudest gentleman who demanded that i leave the room. I was told check out was at 11am. Warning to all people. Do not stay here. Very expensive for what is on offer.

The stairs to get up are a hassle, they're very steep stairs and the rooms are very small and dirty , the bed is dirty as well. I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay here. Way better places are available for way better prices.

The only thing i liked about the place was its location, other than that theres nothing positive to say.

• Small Quadruple Room

The shower near to our room had a broken tile in the centre of the floor, but we managed to find a much better shower by wandering up to a different corridoor.

Great breakfasts, children loved the choice of flavoured milkshakes and chocolate spread! Brilliant central location.

• Small Quadruple Room

No Elevator, Small Room (with broken electric outlets, Stuck windows and poor room service), unhygienic bathrooms and smelly shower room), Bad breakfast.

Location close to Main Train Station, Shopping, Restaurants and Sites.

Room was absolutely atrocious. Bedbugs. No tv. sheets stained. Food all over the walls. Toilet door did not lock. Shower was broke. Towels like rocks. Only bonus is location but I would much rather stay out of the city and have a suitable room. Do not stay here.

I got 77 itchy bumps from bed bugs bites :( didnt have time to inform the staff as i was in a hurry to catch a train / the soundproofing was really bad i heard loud steps all over two nights / tha stairs are so steep so not good for one travelling with big luggage.

Location , breakfas and staffs were okay

Room/Cleanliness/bathroom everything. Very small room.

Good: Location & Breakfast OK: Staff Bad: Room/Cleanliness/bathroom everything. Very small room.

Smelt of cannabis / smoke Not great for people who can't manage stairs / people transiting with suitcases for international travel. No ensuite Water in the sink & communal shower backing up.

Great location and access to airport train and tram system. Staff generally friendly and helpful

* Outside noise. Well of course it's near a train station but they could have installed soundproofing. *There is an odd smell coming from the toilet that doesn't go away even if you flush the bowl 10 times. * The lady attendant in the reception seems to be a racist. She was very accomodating to the caucasian visitors and a bit rude to asians like us.

* The view of the canal neighborhood from my hotel room and the guy who seems to be their room attendant who offers coffee to the guests. * We were allowed to keep our luggages in the reception area after we checked out. * Proximity to the central station. It gets you to the major attractions easily. * The breakfast is quite acceptable and reasonable. They offer a variety of drinks like chocolate, milk, vanilla,!strawberry and coffee which is being offered by the black guy who is warm and polite. Bread, cheese, ham etc. * It's a budget hotel so expect to get what you just paid for.

Basicly good value for money - nothing special, just place to spend a night.

Super great loation, nice view from window, 24hours working reception and good breakfast.

-Hotel seemed to be under construction for years and years. -Floors had loose tiles, dirty, dirty, dirty carpets. -Walls have not been painted or at least washed for decades. Patching of walls and wood structures are not finished. -No elevator (lift). -Bathrooms are tiny and no place to hang, or put your toiletries, towels, or your own clothing. -There were flies and flying insects in the room and through out the hotel, we asked for a fly swatter, or fly traps, but front desk attendant said they do not have such things. -No Air conditioning or fans in the rooms. -Rooms have no tables, or desk to lay down belongings. No chairs in the room. You have to seat on beds. -No soap, shampoo, etc. -No coffee maker, or tea pot. -Walls are thin and NOT sound proof. You can hear conversations (plus other stuff going on) from other rooms. -Doors are flimsy. -This is not a hotel for Europe. If you were in a jungle or fourth world country it might be acceptable. -The city of Amsterdam should inspect this place and make the right decision for operations.

close to Amsterdam Centraal.

No elevator available- the profile in booking.com mentioned that the friendly staff would carry any bags. I asked for it 3 times and the receptionist just looked me and said " No. I'm bored". Need to say more?

No clean , check in time we were waiting almost 2 hours !!!! Very stringy and small very very small room !!! Paid 76 Euro but very bad !!!!! No spacious n not clean !!!!

Nice central!!!

The facilities were appalling, in addition to the receptionist who was rude. The rooms were tiny and smelly. The hallways were filthy and it was very low quality overall

• Small Quadruple Room

Room and bed had bed bugs, I've come home with loads of bites!

Great location, everything we needed although not so great hotel... but you get what you pay for and I was expecting it to not be great!

When we book this hotel they took money for one night from credit card. In time of check in they took again money for same date. And did not returned bloked money from card :( looks like cheating!

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in. No TV or phone as advertised. Filthy dirty and in bad repair. One evil smelling shower and toilet to be shared by both males and females. Strongly suggest you take it off your booking list

Steep stairs and little or no help with luggage. Location close to central railway station is excellent but hotel is above a McDonalds and bar and it was noise until very late and then again very early.

Initially we were given a room with shared bathroom but reception upgraded us. Reception staff friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

I left after ten minutes, the took €85 off me while holding another €80 off me for 14 days. The women behind the counter was rude consistently raised her voice at me near roaring and did not answer any of my questions. Once I left ( after four minutes) the women just laughed and said goodbye. I would ask for my money back but judging by the terrible run hotel I know that won't be an option

Nothing staff unfriendly, rooms mouldy with paint falling off walls dirty bed sheets

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

If I had been travelling alone I would have walked out without checking my room and sat in the station all night! Booked room with shared bathroom in error, as it was not obvious on the booking site, and our request to cancel immediately was refused, so we had no choice but to stay as did not have funds to pay for 2 rooms. Initially given room with 1 bed to share with my 21 year old son, in spite of booking twin and clearly not being a couple when we checked in! Give "upgraded room" with shower. All public areas look and feel filthy and the stairs are lethal - tight spirals with no decent safety rails. There are holes in the walls and around the door frames and wires hanging everywhere. Our room appeared to be a converted bathroom - with no toilet - and although the shower looked relatively new it made very suspect noises and we decided not to risk using it. Beds were comfortable with apparently clean covers but my son then found pubic hairs under the duvet, which were definitely not his! The sink also made very alarming noises. The communal showers looked very unappealing and the toilet was disgusting, with wee all over the floor after 7.30am - in fairness this is obviously down to visitors not staff but shows the need to keep a closer eye on it and clean very frequently. The overall feeling of the building was that it was dirty and not looked after and along with the numerous notices stating house rules and extra charges, eg for use of a remote control for the television I felt that they were only interested in grabbing your money. I did not feel welcome nor safe and would not have fancied our chances of escape in a fire. Cannot believe I paid good money to stay in this revolting building and would certainly not return.

Location was convenient for station. Breakfast was fine. Wi-fi good. Best thing was that we did not arrive until just before midnight and had to leave early to catch a train! Bed comfortable.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Cannot get a taxi to and from hotel door because it's on a busy one-way street with tramcar tracks and police won't let taxis stop there. Be prepared to carry your luggage from nearest taxi stand. The staff refused to let me keep my fold-up bike in the room, even in a bag where no part of the bike would be in contact with their floor and walls. They just didn't get the fact that in that state, it's not a bike, it's luggage. Fortunately, there was rental storage nearby at Cantraal Station. Otherwise, I would have had to lock it up outside where it would be vandalized or stolen overnight. All the hotels in the downtown core have this attitude. Yes, the Dutch bike a lot, but they treat their bikes as implements like garden tools.

Location was convenient. My room was quiet because it was in back. The breakfast was ample and adequate.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

TV, Condition, Telephone, Good Breakfast and all other forms of normal modern service in hotel Neutral I didn.t see..I will not recommend this hotel for my friends.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

The stairs were particularly difficult especially when carrying luggage. Reception on first floor. Most rooms on higher floors. Most without ensuites. The room just contained 2 single beds and 2 chairs !! No TV controller for any TV. Provided a bath mat when we asked for a towel. No switch in bathroom so light and exhaust went all night.

Location - so convenient to railway station and tourist attractions. Breakfast provided and it was adequateGreat

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

the fact that we got a very nice view and location and that there is a big celebration happening , considered the biggest holiday at Amsterdam. alot of people was busy chitchatting at McDonalds the whole night and it kept me awake coz our room was not bulletproof. apart fr that everything is a good value for money.

the location was right at the heart of Amsterdam. very close to Amsterdam Centraal. easy to locate with its the landmark above green McDonalds. we got a very nice view of the city from our room with our own bath that goes with a very satisfying free breakfast. We got the upgraded room without having to pay extra cause my partner requested a room with a view from the front of the hotel.

Browse Budget Hotel Neutraal traveller photo gallery