Reviews of NH Collection Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky 5 stars

Dam 9, Amsterdam City Centre, 1012 JS Amsterdam, Netherlands

#110 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The room was tiny and The view from the window was very bad. To pay such a big amount and to get this room was a big disappointment!

I liked the location. The staff were very friendly.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Central location means lots of street noise from rowdy people so not always a restful sleep. Beds too hard. 29.50 per person for breakfast is outrageously expensive.

Great location. Very stylish. Very pleasant and helpful staff.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

My room was next to the canal / road / walk way, as such, the sounds of people talking is quite loud. The sound of people walking the stairs are also quite loud.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Amsterdam wing (new part of the hotel) is detached from the main building. You feel like you rented a room, and not staying in 5* hotel.

Very clean, great location

• Premium Double or Twin Room with View and Terrace

Upon checkin it would be nice to be informed I’m paying for a balcony suite that is not in the main building with the advertised views or advertised room photos views but a side building you walk through an alley to get to. The balcony’s are extremely dirty and the building has none of the architectural traits you presume you’ll be staying in. The next door building is only about a 2 star balcony and 3 star 3

• Superior Single Room

Even though the location is exceptional, for me I would not rate this room as value for money. The minibar wasn’t replenished after the previous guest and that consumption was on my bill. Although it was removed on check out, I was surprised by the experience.

Excellent location, very central for walking around and close to many tourist attractions. The staff are warm and welcoming.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Gym facility is located at Barbizon hotel, which is 10 minutes walk from Krasnapolsky.

Willem the staff from receptionist assisted us when we checked in. He was excellent. Very friendly, helpful and pleasant. He gave us a great room at level 5. We are very happy with his service and feel welcome to stay at Kransnapolsky. Room was great. Comfortable bed. Excellent location close and walking distance to the shopping areas, restaurants, bars and central station.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Disappointing that you don’t get all the information and have to go back and forth to the receptionist. Rooms nice but not so clean Way too expensive!!! Elevators didn’t work at all last floor. Also problems during the stay.

The location is unfortunately the best thing! But the location is important!!! Breakfast was great

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Was moved to apartment in a different location because the hotel didn't actually have the room I'd booked. To get from reception to apartment we had to walk through alleyway and down a street in the rain Apartment was in noisier/seedier location and Shower was weak

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The have ripped the heart out of this hotel. I stayed here a few years ago before it was refurbished and at the time I thought it to be a true 5* hotel. Not so now, if it wasn't for the location I would look elsewhere in Amsterdam for accommodation.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The distance from the hotel entrance to the elevator long and it was only one lift for the entire section, it took me once 10 minutes waiting for an elevator to arrive

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Rooms although trendy and spacious for Amsterdam are Modern and echoey- I prefer the traditional feel of NH Doelen bedrooms although smaller. Would like to see it add a trendier bar like the W hotel and then I wouldn’t have to leave - well done again NH.

Check in lady (with the most unusual name) even as a trainee was excellent, upgraded me as I was a Silver member without question - a lot of hotels can learn from this. Room was excellent and modern. Open air bar - that I’d missed everytime I had stayed was excellent with really good service. Location so close to everything is excellent. I always look to book Kras before anything else - problem is it’s always sold out first.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

We arranged a tour to the Countryside/Hague and should have been advised of the extreme amount of walking we would have to do.

The staff was friendly and helpful. We were greeted warmly by Sher, at the front desk, who graciously acquainted us with details about the hotel. We never had to wait for anything. The staff was accommodating and efficient.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Service attitude of the staff. They could not care less ! Also there was no electricity for ninety minutes on the last night of our stay. They also refuse to give an additional bottle of water on a hot day !

Great location, newly renovated

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Honestly, we liked it all .

Excellent hotel in central location very comfortable beds, extensive breakfast dishes to choose from First class cocktails from the bar

• Superior Double or Twin Room

When we arrived there seemed to be a lot of staff waiting at the front door and standing around. I understand that it may be for a number of reasons, however it did make me feel a little intimidated when arriving.

Check In was incredibly easy thanks to Lisa on the front desk. The room exceeded our expectations and we were quite frankly blown away by it. It was spotless. The hotel lobby is quite extravagant however when we were greeted by Frans in the cafe bar, we were immediately put at ease. Bed was super comfy, location is perfect and staff were top notch.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Love the location (few minutes to tram, central station, and shops). Friendly staff, clean and spacious room! It made our amsterdam trip more memorable and surely will come and stay in this hotel again.

• Superior Single Room

Only when I entered for the check in I fet the woman in the reception was very cold , I believe being a receptionist you must first and foremost make the guests feel welcome

I enjoyed the breakfast lounge very much, apart from being so beautiful the breakfast itself was also very tasty

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Everything was simply Great in this hotel. Super nice and extremely helpful and efficient staff. The Rooms are superb. Very spacious hotel and in particular the unique breakfast area. Breakfast is very good with a big variety of dishes. Very decent smoking area. Central location right on Dam square. In a word One of the best hotels you can hope for. UNIQUE

• Superior Double or Twin Room

If only there was a way to abolish smoking, especially cigars, in outdoor patios. We so wanted to enjoy the outdoor lounge of the tailor bar but the cigarette/cigar smoke was overwhelming. We just ended up leaving the bar altogether.

Everything in our room was perfect. Anna at reception was one of the nicest staff we met during our trip throughout Europe. Location perfect

Everything was excellent

Breakfast was great. Concierge Barry was extremely helpful. I plan to stay again. Location was perfect. Stayed at Krasnpolsky afterwards and liked warmth of staff and spa facilities and room much better at Hotel Amrath

Wheelchair user in our group was superbly looked after. We were upgraded on arrival to ensure her comfort. Wonderful stay. The Cafe personalised her birthday dessert, after a delicious meal.

See above!

Accidentally booked the Cafe as the distinction between it and the fine dining restaurant was not entirely clear on line - would have preferred the latter.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Expensive breakfast and lack of outdoor sun terrace/ garden/ roof garden.

Wonderful hotel in the middel of Amsterdam! Clean, modern interior and rooms, very nice and helpful personnel and very good breakfast.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Very disappointing. The room for 300 Euro per night has no even sky view. After 15:00 they didn't clean the room after request. It's not 5* hotel surely.

The only positive is location.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

the overall experience was very bad as my wedding ring been stolen from my room during the housekeeping process, and we submitted a police report in this regards, the security officer promised to contact me after the investigations in order to solve this issue, however, its been almost a month now without any action from their side.

the hotel location was perfect, room was clean

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The price. Even considering the Dam Sq. location and the peak of the tulip season, paying over $400 USD/night is a bit much for the type of hotel it is. If I wasn't lucky enough to get upgraded to a better room I would have been very unhappy.

The location is super convenient (though utterly touristy and a little rowdy). My room (after the lucky upgrade) was freshly renovated, fairly large, quiet (facing a courtyard overlooking the hotel restaurant skylight) and comfortable. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The information about the rooms quality or at least where they are placed, noise, accessability and such, should be better. We were informed that the room was an upgrade, I wouldn't want to see what they had in mind for us otherwise if that was an upgrade. For us it seemed to be a downgrade. Also there is no information about how much parking costs. We had booked the hotel in the center among other things because it advertised on "booking.com" that there was parking but nothing about that it costs 50 euros pr. day. Our expectations were that if parking is included we would save money booking a hotel that advertised with having parking facilities instead of paying expensive rates out in the city. There was a constant traffic in the room of personnel checking for this and that which seemed rather strange and somewhat unnecessary. As I rested in the afternoon a number of staff came and went excusing their intrusions with "just doing my job". What job?

On arrival we where presented with the glad news that we had been upgraded to a newly renovated room. We had been up from the early morning and driven down from Denmark via Germany and therefore quite tired. The room was on the 2nd floor in a wing not attached to the main hotel building, placed at the back of this wing and out to a busy street. As soon as we turned out the lights and prepared to sleep the noise from the street became very apparent and made it impossible to relax and fall asleep. We decided to go down to the main desk where we had checked in and complain. After a short wait we were shown a new and very good room at the front of the hotel and with a view of Dam Square, this room was excellent and up to the standards we had expected when booking a room on a 5 star hotel.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Concierge was amazing! I forgot the guys name but he was so great. Older gentleman with soft voice. Woman at ext 6043 was wonderful!! She helped with lights (forgot her name too) Jocelyn at breakfast was lovely!

• Superior Double or Twin Room

For a 5 star hotel: Very poor security protection for check in/ paid guest waiting for room ready. Thief easily stole our backpack at lobby lounge and runaway. Reason by hotel: lack of staff to guard as well as to monitor cctv closely, no one to accompany us to police station

Comfortable room Friendly concierge staffs

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Elavator to our room was very far from the entrance and the distance is long and rooms are small.

Its just in the heart of the city and you can reach anywhere by walking. Its very comfortable. There are many pubs, restaurants, markets around the hotel. Personnel is very friendly and helpfull. Breakfast was very good. Wifi is working properly.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The hotel is right on Dam Square with all the museums, art galleries, restaurants and coffee shops easily within walking distance. We were there to celebrate my partner’s 40th birthday and hotel upgraded our room and left her a little gift and balloons in our room as a surprise. It was perfect. We ate in The White Room on the Saturday night. Food and wine was exceptional. We’ll be back.

Expensive breakfast.

The location is excellent. Staff were very friendly and really worked to attend all our requests. Bedroom very comfortable and clean.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Never stayed in a hotel for this price with absolutely NO VIEW. Also there is hardly any space to pack your things in the room! also: exactly 2 and only 2 little milk containers PER DAY for two people seems extremely skimpy - makes you feel unwelcome, as this is not a budget hotel.

only the position

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The shower was over the bath, which I don't like. They are not of this time and awkward for people with mobility issues. The fridge in the room didn't work. We reported it, but it wasn't fixed. Also, one of the bedside reading lights was broken. My wife found the bed too hard. I had no problem with it. The pillows were not very supportive.

We stayed at the hotel on Koningsnacht. It was very busy. We found the check in procedure somewhat officious, but okay that only lasted a few minutes. Our room (6061) had a good view over the rooftops close by. The room was big, quiet, very white with lots of glass. The bathroom was also glass panelled. The airco worked well. There was a free bottle of water.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The photos of the rooms were nothing like we were given which was a room in the annex at the back of the hotel.....( more like a Travel lodge) Totally disappointed and to have to pay £236 per night....outrageous....

Beautiful hotel, first class location..

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Perfect position, in the very city centre of Amsterdam. Amazing service in general, great breakfast, fantastic room. Everything was really superlative!

• Superior Double or Twin Room

I was put in a low floor room directly opposite a construction site. The crane, 3 meters from my window, was still working with associated machine, construction and shouting noises at 11.30 when I tried to go to bed.

It's still a nice hotel, but on this occasion they completely and utterly let me, and themselves, down.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The bed very comfortable,room was a big room nice modern furniture.The bathroom was a big bathroom plenty room two sinks and tiled throughout.our favourite was the walk in shower with a big rain shower head ,brilliant.Breakfast and breakfast restaurant is a beautiful room to enjoy and sit having breakfast. Concierge were all extremely helpful with tourists questions and patient. Fantastic location straight onto Dam square.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The room was small and although comfortable it didn’t seem five star. The fact the staff seemed to ignore my report that we saw a mouse in the cafe when we were eating dinner upset us so we didn’t eat in there again. We were told by the waiter it is common in old buildings. An apology would have been good but instead it was dismissed.

The hotel is across the road from the palace and in Dam Square so the location is fantastic. The buffet breakfast was wonderful too. The staff were also very friendly.

• Premium Double or Twin Room

Our better in the first room 5526 was too small without a full length wardrobe. It was too pokey and not getting any light from window. There was noise all night in the weekend coming from the WF in the alley.

Moving to a bigger room after spending four nights in a small room. Good breakfast room and food

Nothing comes to mind.

Spacious, clean well serviced and very quiet room facing away from Dam Square .. exactly what we wanted. Staff were courteous and very helpful. A most enjoyable stay.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The room view is bad but it doesn't matter that much as we spent most of our times outside the hotel

The location is just perfect! you are only walking distance to Central Station, main shopping district, red light district.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

nothing. everything was perfect!

very friendly staff, they gave us an upgrade for a bigger room, it was very comfortable and spacious. the location of the hotel is perfect, located in a nice shopping area with lots of restaurants and cafés around. tram stop and Central station are also very close.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Amazing place! Room was spacious with a really comfy bed. Bathroom was very clean aswell. Hotel is glorious and all staff are very friendly and helpful! Nice little touch with rose petals and balloons in room as went for anniversary. Would highly recommend.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Small pokey room with a view of a wall. Bed very hard. Bath shower stall was difficult to get in an out of - an accident waiting to happen. No grab rails and no non-slip mat for the bath tub. Shower mounting rail broke. Bar Fridge wasn't working - no cold drinks.

Great location in the city centre. Friendly, helpful staff. The Wintergarden venue for breakfast was a lovely environment. Very nice cafe.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The hotel is not safe. We stayed in the hotel for 3 nights, expecting it to be a great hotel based on the ratings and location which i have to say was great, however on the second day we left for 6 hours and my mobile phone disappeared from the desk in the room. It looks after reading previous reviews that this is not a single incident and other guest had money and belongings stolen from the room. The hotel started an investigation and after 2 days they responded that their staff have not been negligent and they do provide safe boxes. Not the response you would be expecting from a 5* hotel chain, blaming the guest for assuming the hotel is safe, response below: “Based on the outcome of this investigation we can inform you that we have no information to indicate that the hotel nor any of its staff members have been negligent. Furthermore, we kindly emphasize on the availability of the hotel room safe for valuables.” I would be careful to take any valuables there.... Would definitely not stay there again or recommend it.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

If your room faces Dam Sauare the house from the bars and activity in the square will keep you up past 3 am. It will be fine if you are planning on staying out late.

Decent room. Good location in terms of getting around Amsterdam.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Everything was to our liking. We will always stay at your hotel. Donna in the dining room and Nuri were excellent. Camilla at reception was superb and made us feel very welcome and special as we stay with you regularly. Your man at the concierge got us in to Savini on Saturday night when we tried earlier. He was outstanding.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The rooms were a little bit small (premium room) and can hardly fit an extra bed.

The hotel is in the centre of Dam Square with a great location. All of the shops and brands are within a walking distance. It had a car park and cost 50€ per day. The breakfast was amazing. The staff was nice and friendly, the lady in the reception her name Maxima upgraded my room for free when she saw that we requested an extra bed for my daughter because the standard room was very small. The wifi was good.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Poorly designed interior, very noisy and street facing room was given to me. Similar to a hostel room view, narrow street, 1st floor, over the shops/ restaurants. The room was also not at the main building, its on extra building that you have to go out and go into another building again using room cards. Problems in bathroom which is design fault, gurgling noise of the sink, it would be wise to checked. Very slow internet speed. Two separate beds made together to achive big king bed, which is uncomfortable. I will not consider this hotel as an option again. I have booked more than 50+ hotels as you may check my profile and this is in the last 5. Even they told me they upgraded to me a better room during my checking, but better room means just empty big spaces for them :) They will write we are sorry for inconvenience bla bla bla. It’s too late :) you may start offering your all clients better accommodation standards, or may at least not punish the clients booking over booking.com and providing them good rooms instead of the low standard rooms. I am writing this as a person who has stayed more than 10 hotels just in Amsterdam in last 7 years.

• Family Quadruple Room

The location of the room on the first floor had one disadvantage, the noisy pedestrians at night.

Location, interior design of the hotel , professional staff.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The thing is that we got upgrade from the standard room that we have booked which was a nice surprise, but the room we got instead was in the other wing of the hotel, overlooking the street, right on top of Dunkin doughnuts. Also the maids were kind of noisy every morning, i could hear them cleaning the rooms next door and despite f the Do not disturb sign they tried to enter in the room every morning....

The hotel has a great location. The room was clean and the staff was polite. Very near are shopping streets, great restaurants, also is near to the central station, which makes it easier to get from the airport.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

To use the gym had to go to a sister hotel, no pool. Room we had needs bit of tlc. 5* May be for the downstairs of property which was lovely. I wouldn’t give 5* for room or facilities.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Room was clean and comfortable with nice turn down service, coffee machine in the room was good. Location was great.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

This was my second visit to Krasnapolski. the first time i had booked a "budget room" and was placed in the annex overlooking Damstraat and the room was just about acceptable (4/5 years ago). This time i booked a Superior room and was still placed in the Annex although the room was far better than my previous stay and was an internal room. I like the hotel and would like to stay there again during my next visit but by being placed in the annex i feel that i was downgraded. I feel that you should be up front and clarify at time of booking if the room being offered is in the Hotel or in the Annex.

the staff was always very attentive. When we asked for an extra sheet it was delivered to the room in 3 min.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Couldnt find anything we didn’t like

We were upgraded to our surprise for our anniversary, we had a fantastic stay and the hotel and staff made us feel very welcome and look after everything for us.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The airport shuttle is not good. It’s of booking formalities where as it would be better if it is hop on and hop off.

The location and service is brilliant.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Really really nitpicking... but the two building layout does mean some rooms are a bit of a hike from reception. But, if that's all I can think of, it can't be bad!

The location is great, the design is modern and attractive. The welcome and check in was flawless. I was surprised by how modern and stylish the rooms were. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Nobody told us about some of the activities which were possible ( such as the hotel having a canal boat etc.). The view from the hotel room was bad, basically starring into/on top of another building. Bathtub was quite small. Mainly focus on German & Dutch channels on the TV, even comedy central and so on was in German. Breakfast was not included in the price, although I know you can purchase this option. The Elevator (lift 4) we used felt quite worn out and not classy at all, dirty carpet and just a worn out feeling. All in all we paid 430 euro for a small hotel room with a great location and the option to pay for a good breakfast buffet. Next time if I would want to spent that kind of money I would get a suite in a 4 star hotel or something in that line.

Receptionist was friendly & the room was clean. Breakfast buffet was really good. Location was awesome.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

On my first day, i found a very dirty towel on the stack of towels in the bathroom. The kettle in the room was not working well and hot water spilled everywhere as a result.

I appreciate the fact that the Hotel staffs were very quick and hands-on in handling complaints.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The croissants were extra flaky! You did ask 😊. Even though the burger was presented beautifully it was too under cooked for my wife. It was taken away and rectified without issues. Absolutely nothing to complain about from start to finish Our lovely waitress Anouke was very attentive and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Room service was just ok. The room was noisy from neighbors. The view was awful.

The location is convenient to most attractions. Breakfast variety was very good.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

After having a horrible night at Hotel Mansion, we moved here and it was the best thing we could possibly to enjoy our stay even more. It’s right in the middle of Dam Square, next to Madame Tussauds, with very clean and spacious. Welcoming and friendly staff, great wifi. The breakfast is great too! The breakfast room itself is the perfect place to start your day. Definitely coming back

• Superior Double or Twin Room

We were unceremoniously dumped by this hotel 2 days before my husband's surprise birthday trip. The trip had been booked since November, so that there would be no last minute hitches!!! I can only guess that NH Collection Hotels do not value the individual Client. Corporate money is obviously King with them. Very disappointed.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The room and the bathroom were too small. the rooms and the breakfast are expensive

Good and rich breakfast, central position of the hotel (in Dam square)

• Superior Double or Twin Room

All reception personel are bad , esprcially they are charging 50 euro perday for minibar , ı had really bad experience during the check out they slipped 3 times on my credit card for hotel expenses when ı noticed they just say ohhh sorry ,

Only location thats all

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Nothing everything was amazing! Only criticism would be we weren’t aware that they took a security deposit so you need to be prepared!

Food is amazing! Definitely worth buying the breakfast...the buffet is huge and has everything you want!

• Superior Double or Twin Room

My bed was so uncomfortable I did not get a good night's sleep. They need mattress toppers! Also, it was a long walk to the lift to get to my room - right through all the conference facilities and next to the car park.

Very nice hotel, very centrally located.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The absence of a fitness room. The solution proposed to go to one of the sister hotels and use their gym for free is not really great especially at winter time.

Location is excellent. very clean, comfortable bed, great breakfast.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Great service and hotel, amazing breakfast and very helpful staff. The best location hotel wise in Amsterdam walking distance to everywhere, was offered early check In into an upgraded room at a small fee!

• Superior Double or Twin Room

View from the room was not good, looking onto a building site but this did not impact on my stay at all as I was there to explore Amsterdam, not look out the window :-)

Fantastic location, great staff, all friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. Would definitely stay here again.

• Premium Double or Twin Room

Request for extra hours after check out time was difficult by some staff at reception , but then got accepted by more senior staff

The location of hotel is perfect

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Ok it is perfectly located, it is nice and actually pretty classy .. but not really a great luxury hotel. Rooms are nice although the modern bathroom conception doesn’t really allow privacy between 2 people .. service was catastrophic.. the hairdryer didn’t work .. we had to call 3 times housekeeping / reception and it took them almost 40 minutes to bring replacement .. For a 25sqm twinroom with a view, we paid €410/night !! With no breakfast .. parking was > 50€ in top !! I cannot call them good value for money .. I won’t come back here

• Superior Double or Twin Room

There was nothing i didnt like about the hotel

Really clean spacious room . Better than i expected . Got there and got a free upgrade that included breakfast .

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Dining at the grand cafe was very disappointing. It was a Monday night and it was very quiet. When we first entered we were asked to return in 15 mins as they were short staffed due to the flu. Didn’t feel it was necessary to share this info as we would have expected a waiting time due to us having no reservation. It was very clear the girl was stressed out as was her fellow waiter. When we returned and were seated the waiter approached asking if we were ok at which point we had to ask for menus. In the middle of our meal the chef came out from the kitchen and engaged in an altercation with the waiter. Curse words were used and raised voices. The chef then returns to the kitchen with a bottle of beer in one hand and a glass of what I presume was alcohol in the other. At this point all waiting staff then left the grand cafe and we were left waiting on them to return. The waiter then returned unstandably he was embarrassed. He did apologize profusely for what we had witnesssed. We felt he handled the situation professionally especially as it was the chef who had come to the restaurant. Surely the chef should know better and would be best advised to keep any disagreements within the kitchen out of ear shot of those dining.

Breakfast was outstanding.... the omelette station superb we were spoiled for choice. Reception team were excellent, so welcoming and effecient. The location is ideal. Loved the ambience at the bar.

Browse NH Collection Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky traveller photo gallery