Reviews of The Old Nickel Hotel 1 stars

Nieuwe Brugsteeg 11, Amsterdam City Centre, 1012 AG Amsterdam, Netherlands

#334 of 447 hotels in Amsterdam

• Reviewed: 19 October 2018

I stay at the Old Nickel every time I go through Amsterdam...
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

I stay at the Old Nickel every time I go through Amsterdam if it's available. The location is easy access and I really enjoy the bar downstairs. The upgrades have been great and it's always clean.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2018

Very pleased, good value for money, could do with a few minor improvements
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Hotel rooms were in a separate building from the reception and there was a very tight spiralled staircase to which all of the floors were situated, due to this it was very tough trying to tug the suitcases up the stairs (4 floors for us!). Other thing that I would say is that there were no complimentary bottles of water, so we had to buy our own as there is no access to drinking water anywhere near by in the hotel.

Friendly staff, very central Amsterdam close to transport systems allowing you to easily visit attractions without the hastle.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

This hotel should be closed down or serious change of management!
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Everything! I still do not have my invoice till now! I’ve checked out 4 days ago. I have no idea how this hotel is still running a legitimate business! Incompetent staff, incompetent cleaning staff, incompetent receptionist.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

More of a hostel than a hotel
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

There was no free Wifi in the hotel and the facilities were very basic. It felt more like a hostel than a hotel and we would not suggest this to others unless they just want a bed and nothing else

The location of the hotel is ideal for people who want to use the trains in Amsterdam since it's really close to the central station.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

Clean but noisey.
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

No lift but we knew that. The stairs are really steep so I was glad we were on the first floor. The windows did open but the people outside were smoking and the smoke would rise into the room. There was a lot of noise from the street but quieted down about midnight. However the noise from the bar below us went till 6:00 am. Constant beat from the music. Good for 1 night stay before we left on our cruise. Brink ambian and earplugs if you stay here.

We stayed on the first floor facing the street. The room was very clean and right in the middle of the city blocks from the red light district. The beds were comfortable. Lots of restaurants close to the hotel.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

I was extremely disappointed with the street noise & lack of space.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Street noise throughout the night made it impossible to get any sleep. Even though the room was on the 2nd level & the window was closed,, I could clearly hear conversations from the street. Other than the bed, there was no space to unpack/pack my luggage. The short peg on the wall could only hold 2-3 hangers.

Proximity to Centraal Station. Cleanliness.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

Location is great!
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

A little bit too noisy at the first night (I mean some music downstairs), but taking into consideration that it is in the the "party area" you should be prepared for this kind of "disadvantages" around.

Location is great!

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

Location near central station , but keep in mind the karaoke...
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Uncomfortable bed, very small space , bad water pressure in the shower not But typical for Amsterdam probably

Location near central station , but keep in mind the karaoke bar in the house in the other side

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

High price without any value .
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

The person in reception did not wanted to return not even 50% of the money . They charg 220 a night , very high price considering there is no elevator ! Go to Victoria’s hotel , Pay 250 and enjoy your Stay.

1 star hotel , without elevator . Came with my pregnant wife, the room was at 3 floor without elevator . We could not stay there because my wife could not go up the stairs . They should write no elevator !!

Hotel is close to Amsterdam Central and really 5 - 8 mins...
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Its noisy at night time and too close to the crowded street. It doesn't have air cooling system.but it has a heating system.

Hotel is close to Amsterdam Central and really 5 - 8 mins walking. Also all the tourist gateways are nearby walking distance.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

The only good thing was the location.
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

It was like we slept in a room without windows in a very nosiy street, we could hear every little noise from outside, so almost not possible to sleep...tiny rooms...

The only good thing was the location. So it is extremely overpriced, but I guess this is the case with almost every other hotel in Amsterdam...

thw worst in my life
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

a tiny room that when u open the door to get in you have to push the bed away !! the bathroom is another story YOU CAN NOT SET STRIGHT it is for minions not humens and i even booked this by mistake in the first place and after my booking by 1 min i tried to get a refund which clearly did not affect his business and he refused !! the worst hotel exp in my life "that if you can call that a hotel"

nothing at all

Ciostly and poor quality.
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Need s re refurbishment carpets worn out and bedrooms small, shower too small, very noisy location all of the day and night. This should be advertised as a student squat not an Hotel. The provider and the owner have basically robbed me of my money by the costs imposed. I will never visit Holland again after this experience.

Worst experience ever in my life !!
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

I think they were bed bugs / punaises de lit in the room. I got 20 spots all over my body. I told the guy at the receptionn and he nearly laught saying that it could not be possible. He did not check my room nor gave me another one. Moreover, the room is very tiny and does not look like photos. The bathroom is worst and you can hardly sit on toilets. Last, I asked for a double bed and there was 3 ingle beds in my room !

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. and the hotel was very close to everything and excellent locatio
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

The hand basin in the bathroom was small enough, the shower and toilet facilities were fine.

I Liked very much the exact location of the hotel. I was very pleased with the accommodation, the room was small and the bed was extremely comfortable for its small size. The staff were excellent and very very helpful. I would certainly return to the hotel on my next visit to Amsterdam

Overall a pleasant stay. The hotel is built more for practicality than leisure
    • Triple Room with Private Bathroom

The hotel doesn't have an elevator, something of a hardship if your room is in one of the top floors, since the stairs are fairly steep. Rooms are small but adequate, but bathrooms are extra small and very hard to maneuver in.

The location of the hotel is great and at center of things. From it you can walk basically to the main attractions you need. It is also close by very good restaurants. The staff are kind and communicative.

Room was of very high quality and had all the extras...
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

The windows had a slight gap and since the hotel is on the main tourist street it was very noisy overnight.

Room was of very high quality and had all the extras required.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Great few days away, relaxing in the many bars and sight seeing
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Very noisy, As there is a club almost opposite, great if you like staying out until about 3am, but if you want an early night its a no.

Is in a great location near to pubs shops and nightlife

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Good location not idea for a romantic stay
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Leaking shower and that its ground floor in the strip.

The shower was leaking into the floor. The location was across from a karaoke place which was loud and there wasnt a kettle ir tea faculties.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Great location however not the cleanest and very loud at night!
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

The barman upon arrival wasn't the most welcoming and the store room for our bags was an unlocked kitchen to the rear of the pub. Bowls of cat food on the floor. Stains on the bedsheets. Stairs to the rooms were extremely steep but that's in keeping with the building types.

Loved the location and ease of access however it's very loud at night (fully expected though considering the age of the property). Property was located further down the street to where the pub was situated so no noise from below.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

The price is too high.
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

The room is very small and the beds are more like bunks than real beds. The mattresses were very thin though comfortable enough for a good sleep. All would be fine for a third of the price but at 153 euros.... True, I did not check closely enough when I booked (it was last minute and I was in a hurry) Honestly, I not likely to stay at this hotel again.

The location which is literally 4 minutes from the central station.

location is very good
    • Quadruple Room with Private Bathroom

room was on fourth floor , no elevator as old property. carpets stained and musty . rooms very basic. very expensive. 360 for 2 nights, way overpriced as this is more like hostel accomodation.

location is very good

No warning of construction and overpaid!
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

There were 7 of us staying with the same rooms but we happened to pay 100 euro more than the rest of them. Also we were not warned from the hotel or any description on booking.com about the construction going on right next to this hotel, which started at 7am in the morning. A concret drill at 7am in the morning after a 21 hour flight is not ideal at all. Overall we were very upset with our stay here and although it was a prime location we would not suggest this to a friend.

Location!

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

• Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

For the price we paid, the room was very very very small. There was also a planned PowerCut from 8-2 on one of the days we stayed. No information from the owner whatsoever. We actually had to ask the work site what was happening and when the power would be turned back on. Very loud site works right outside our building also which started at 7am!!

Great location. Very close to everything and especially the train station.

Great location for exploring Amsterdam.
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

The beds were not very comfortable, the top mattress kept sliding around.

Great location for exploring Amsterdam. Very close to the station and the city centre.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Great Location and great room
    • Triple Room with Private Bathroom

We were on the 4th floor and there is no lift - and with the heat the goodness is taken out of you by the time you get to the room. But I would go back based on location alone it is only 300 m from the main door of central station so no need for taxis etc.

Location is excellent and our room was recently decorated too

The location is superb and staff helpful and honest left...
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

No aircon and no fan in summer super hot 35 deg celcius - no lift, no kettle, no coffee or tea, no fridge - prices were so high for a super tiny room (summer rates are super high) bed were not comfortable... curtains not so clean, dirty walls...

The location is superb and staff helpful and honest left handphone at reception/pub downstairs and it was returned! Clean bathroom and clean floor.

I guess the Old Nickel is very apt - job done!
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

If the price was a little cheaper but maybe this is the standard for most European cities.

The apartment is very claustrophobic. I think because it is a busy tourist city like Amsterdam they can charge expensive prices for a small room. But I have booked again because it is next to the train station and the red light district and other attraction like the Dam Square and museums.

Clean and we'll located but poor isolation and very noisy
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

During summer days the room felt like an oven. Staying for business I also suffered from the noise coming from the karaoke bar in the street ( it would have been in the plus would I have stayed for partying)

Very good location and very clean.

Excellent location
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

The stairs were very narrow, so it was difficult to get the luggage upstairs.

The location was excellent, right I. The centre of Amsterdam, so it was easy getting around and finding restaurants.

I like that it really was in Central ie you can see the...
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Didn't like the fact leaving my room early hours in the morning for a run and get stopped at the bottom of the stairs by linen bags which blocked my way of getting out, the stairs was really small and narrow which didn't help at all. Also I wasn't happy the TV had know signal on any channel. Shower filled up very quickly I thought I flooded the place might need to sort that out.

I like that it really was in Central ie you can see the hotel sign at the train/tram/bus station. Single Room was as described in picture, comfy bed worth the sleep close to shops and china town

Know that you are paying for location not luxury and you...
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Know that you are paying for location not luxury and you will be satisfied with this hotel. Its got the basics, bed, toilet, shower, locking door. You check-in in the small pub on the ground floors and rooms are a steep staircase or two above. Ideal if you don't mind stairs, looking for a good location and plan to spend most of your time outside of the hotel exploring all that is Amsterdam!

Ok for say two nights max lack of sleep kicks in but bar and manager very good.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Not the hotels fault but its location is in a very noisy back street with commotion until around 3-4 am not helpful for sleep and rooms small but given the hotels size that is expected.

The bar was very good, oldie worldie and the day manager very good I had lots of good chats with about football especially.

Great value for money and location but tiny cramped accommodation.
    • Triple Room with Private Bathroom

Triple room on fourth floor, no lifts, had to sit sideways on toilet, couldn't rinse mouth in sink after cleaning teeth, no room in bathroom it's tiny

Great location, good price

If you like partying without sleep, this place was acceptable.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

The location is bad because the proximity of nearby bars and crowds visiting the red light district of Amsterdam meant forgoing any sleep due to noise and celebration after World Cup soccer events extending to all night long. Because of the noise and the early daylight hours less than an hour of sleep was attained on both nights I stayed.

The location is both good and bad. It is good because it is close to many sightseeing areas.

The location of the hotel was perfect for getting around...
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Would be better if food was served, the bed sheet and the mattress would repeatedly fall off the bed if you move the slightest bit so we always had to keep getting out of bed moving everything and having to relay our bed just to get some comfort, the pillows were way to big to be able to sleep on and being on the fourth floor is not good as you have to travel up those very steep stairs and by the time you get up their you’re already sweating and feel like you need to take another shower before going out. Also didn’t appreciate being shouted at by the male receptionist/bartender as I was very tired and accidentally feel asleep, I understand if i’m not allowed to sleep in the bar its for drinking not sleeping however treat me with some respect after i’ve just spent a good amount of money to stay in your hotel, even if i’ve checked out while i’m still in your bar i’m still your guest so try to be more polite and hospitable.

The location of the hotel was perfect for getting around easily, the bar was good value for money and it was a very comfortable bar with good music. The lady on the first day was great as she could see we had a long journey there and even though check in wasn’t till 2 she made sure there was a room being prepared as quickly as possible so that we could get some sleep and settle in.

staff is very helpful and room is clean, spacious for...
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

no elevator (but still ok as i was assigned 1st floor), room is next to the karaoke bar and it opens till 3-4am, so try to ask for the room away from that if you are staying more than 1 night.

staff is very helpful and room is clean, spacious for 1-person staying, 5 minutes walking to Central station with pubs and bars nearby, and easily access to the dam square.

Location is amazing
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

There was some noise from outside all night but it’s just part of the experience. Stairs were narrow and steep to room making it a bit difficult to lug our huge bags up to the room in the beginning - no elevator.

Best location ever, right next to the red light district but not in it. Tons of restaurants, tattoo parlors and shops. Five minute walk from Amsterdam Centraal - making it easy to get to the hotel from the international trains as well as making it easy to explore further around the city. The room was clean and the bedding was changed daily. Can’t tell you how much we loved the location!

Recommended but maybe not for families
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Centrally located. Room was clean and although smallish, quite sufficient for my needs as a business travel. I didn't hear much noise from the street but I'm a good sleeper. Staff was very friendly and the in house pub nice with good beer. All in all I will probably come back next time I'm in Amsterdam for business.

I totally enjoyed my stay.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

The room size was too small. It would be better if the room is little bit bigger.

The location of the place is best. It's in the middle of Amsterdam just 4 minutes walk from the Centraal station. I loved the place. The stuff was really nice and I like the way she talk.

Great central location
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

The windows in our room where made to fit a old frame, but the didn’t fit properly so let a lot of noise in, I was expecting it to be noisy as we where in the centre but if they fitted it would of helped keep the level of noise down. The mattresses where not very comfortable either, but obviously nothing is as good as your own bed

Great central location

Directly in the center, comfortable and at a good price.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

The room was really small. I do not complain, but I know some People would - so be prepared, that here, like in other downtown Amsterdam hotels, the space is expensive and everybody uses it sparingly. Also, you need to walk up the stairs, as it is a traditional narrow house. Take it as a cultural expreience and you will enjoy it here anyway!

Directly in the center, comfortable and at a good price. The staff was helpful and friendly and the beer in the bar tasted good!

Good for the price
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Bathroom was a bit small, fortunately I'm not that tall but it could be a hassle for a tall person.

Quite quiet for such a busy location, maybe because I was on the last floors.

The location of the hotel is good.
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

until 1:00 am their was too much sound of people coming from out side, may be down their is a restaurant, that was too noisy.

The location of the hotel is good.

Lots of stairs, good value for the money though!
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

The room was on the 4th floor in a walk up. There were 76 steps, and the staircase was mostly circular. An older person, someone with a disability or with a lot of luggage will want to ask in advance about this. My mother would not have been able to get herself and her luggage up the stairs safely. The room was not air conditioned, which would have been fine in March, but I apparently got to Amsterdam at the start of a heat wave. The window would not open more than 4" (apparently to prevent drunk people from falling 4 stories to their death or something), which made things really stifling. There was an operable fan in the room, which helped but didn't make the climate truly comfortable. Having the window open made the room a little noisy (since the weather is good and people are going to Amsterdam to have a good time), but it wasn't loud enough to disrupt my sleep significantly.

My room was not in the actual hotel, but was down the street. Check in was easy, the gentleman walked me to the building and showed me how to get in. They use rfid cards to get into the building and the room, which worked fine. The room was a good size, with hanging storage for clothing and a place to put your suitcase / back pack / duffel etc. The bathroom was ensuite and worked fine (I had hot water when I needed it, all the facilities worked). The TV worked and the bed was ok (not great, but not uncomfortable). The location was very good (only a 5 minute walk from Amsterdam Centraal, canal rides, food, etc).

We will be back😀
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

My mate kept snoring all night!!!

Perfect location for all you need, bars, restaurants etc. Close to central station about 5 minutes walk, very clean room

Just a little under adequate. Tea and coffee making facilities would have made it adequate.
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

No breakfast included in price; In fairness I was warned that the location could be noisy at night time going into early morning and god they didn't disappoint. ( I bought ear plugs at my outgoing airport as being forewarned is to be forearmed ) Though they class themselves as a budget hotel there was no tea or coffee making facilities . had to ask for a tv remote control.

The location is very good but quite noisy from the people...
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

The stairs is too high. There is a karaoke just opposite which make the noises. The bathroom drainage was not working well but is clean.

The location is very good but quite noisy from the people walk. Good food around, easy to walk to the canal and hang out places.

Great location, but poor great facilities (too loud, too hot, uncomfortable mattress and stairs).
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

The room was boiling hot, as direct sun hits the window, and there was no air conditioning. All the street noises can be heard in the room, even with the window closed, and it's a terribly noisy street, with a Karaoke bar just opposite the hotel. Impossible to sleep without earplugs. The mattress was too soft. The room was on the second floor, with no lift, and with a very tiny and unpractical stairway.

The location was great.

close to the train station and everything else.
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

close to the train station and everything else. toilet in the hotel pub/lobby was small but there. Could have done with a kettle and a cup in the room, apart from that super great cheap and clean.

It was a place to sleep... sort of.
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Was pretty loud on the street level, sheets looked a little sketchy on the cleanliness scale, and my shower drain was clogged severely...

Was nice not having to walk up stairs.

I had a lot of fun in Amsterdam
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Single room is too small, I would pick a bigger one.

Location very close to Amsterdam Central, close to trains and trams. Single room is very small, about 75 square feet including bathroom, no desk, no chair, platform bed where you can store luggage underneath it. Bathroom is updated. Ground floor is a bar, registration is with barman. There is a separate door for hotel guests. No elevator, which is common in old buildings. Again big advantage is location. Restaurants nearby. Omeletegg opens at 7am. Het Karbeel specialty are fondues but they also serve excellent salads and have very friendly staff.

Room 2 would not be my first choice to stay in at this hotel.
    • Triple Room with Private Bathroom

Room 2 Check-in was in the bar but the rooms are down the street in a different building. Three single beds with no luggage storage and just a few cubby holes to store belongings. The room is about 6ft/2m wide and 17ft/5m long so beds are lined up head-to-toe. In-room tv can only be seen from one bed. There is a bar right next to the entrance to the facility, just a few feet away. The night I was there was the Wednesday before Kings Day and people were singing in the bar until 0200 making it impossible to sleep before then. Ground floor room immediately on street, anyone walking by can look through window directly into room. No view except of building across the street. Room is first door after entrance so everyone staying in the building goes by this room. Room is under the staircase to the higher floors so everyone else in the building walks on your ceiling. Shower/wet room is comfortable enough. Hit water and good pressure. The safety switch on the shower temperature control knob we missing.

Shower was good.

Never
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

It was overrated and overpriced. It is not a hotel but some rooms above a bar. There is no lobby or reception. The bartender checks you in and you are on your own. No help for clearly older people carrying the bags up. A steep flight of stairs to a room on the next floor. The room was adequate and so was the small bathroom but the wasn’t even a plastic cup for drinking water. To charge as much as they do for this bare-bones room is unconscionable.

Nothing about this place

Clean facilities, but all in miniature. Uncomfortable.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Room for a single was just too small for me.No space to move around. Sliding foam mattress placed on under mattress. Room faced the street. Much noise till 2 am. Early morning clattering of wheeling suitcases on brick road.

Location was good, close to Amsterdam Centraal. Clean room, friendly hotel /bar manager.

I would stay here again.
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

The stairs in the hotel were very steep and narrow making it difficult to carry luggage. I didn’t feel comfortable leaving my luggage in a place that wasn’t secure however everything was fine.

The hotel room was clean. The shower was spacious. The plug sockets and light switches were easily accessible from the beds.

There is absolutely no soundproofing in the room.
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

There is absolutely no soundproofing in the room. The windows are a joke. You can hear everything that’s going on outside even conversations. Complete lack of sleep for four days. Avoid this hotel

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful.
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Unfortunately the sink was extremely small so face washing was nearly impossible. But nevertheless this was the only negative point. I will come back again.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was clean and de beds were very comfortable. Cleanliness is very important for me and I felt very well at the old nickel hotel.

Adequate
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

It was not a hotel. "Reception" was a bar down the street. You were taken down the road to an unmarked dooorway, given a plastic key, and that was it. No hotel facilities at all. The room was very narrow and small. The TV didn't work. It was expensive particularly as breakfast was not included.

It was near the station and easy to find. The shower was fine.

It was just about ok or average
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

The cramped room, the convoluted small cramped stairs, no lift in the building, no breakfast included/available, rooms was cold as heating was not proper, the staffs unwillingness to help when requested for late checkout or for even extending stay on paid basis for few hours, the very early checkout time of 11am,......exactly at which I got a knock on the door!!!!

Proximity to Amsterdam Central station

Excellent location, good facilities but let down by the sound proofing.

Single room at the front of the building was just too noisy to get any sleep as the sash window did not keep out the external noise from the street. Fortunately, my sons had a double room at the back of the hotel and there was just enough room on the floor to squeeze my mattress in, for a good nights sleep on the second night.

Excellent location, rooms small but comfortable with good en-suite facilities.

Ideal for traveling
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Radiator wasn’t turned on in room so it was quite cold at first, but also quite warm when it was on too.

Location - extremely central or close by to all tourist attractions. Rooms were cosy and built for purpose, and very clean too.

Poor, location is only plus point.
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Rooms and hotel are not kept on top of. Broken tv, door handles that don’t work and lock you in the toilet. Shower still had previous occupants shower gel everywhere. Railing hanging off the wall, not ideal as you need it to help get up the stairs. This was my 3rd visit here, sadly thus time means I wont be back. A little tlc and care needed! The Cost and quality of the room outweighs the location. 2/10 for room. 9/10 location. Shame

Great location! Perfect, 1 min from central station and that’s pretty much it

Location and distance from Amsterdam Centraal is fantastic.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Single room size is unbelievably tiny tiny. When I entered the room I could not believe my eyes. With my luggage I hardly could entet. The room is 2.00 x 1.60 sqm space with a bed inside. And another 1.80 x 0.7 sqm as the bathroom. It only suits a person with a back pack for maximum two nights who doesn’t spend a second inside and needs only a bed to crach late night.

Location and distance from Amsterdam Centraal is fantastic. Albeit you have to deal with street noise of younge people during the night. Staff are nice. Well most Dutch people are nice when you think about it.

Noisey, pokey, unclean and poor value for money. Worst night sleep in a hotel in a while

With no elevator I had to carry luggage up 4 flights of very steep stairs. No offer of any help with luggage either. No reception or common area. Its basically some rooms above a bar. It was not very clean, and the room and toilet/shower rooms are tiny. Shower is a wet room design, so entire floor of the toilet area is covered in water once you use it. No wardrobe for clothes, suit cases, just some tiny handing space below the TV. No facilities for tea or coffee.

Very noise environment, with no elevator for luggage with very steep stairs. Situated over a bar. Rooms were not very clean and were very small. No wardrobe. Poor nights sleep with all the noise from the street outside from the pub. No place for breakfast. My colleague and I got split up as he had to stay in another building several minutes walk away. Very expensive as well. Would not recommend it and will not be booking it again

Staff were lovely but feel the hotel wasn’t worth the money
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

The room was absolutely tiny which is acceptable being in Amsterdam, however £120 for a room that you can hardly walk around the bed in, stinks, doesn’t have a kettle, and has mucky hand prints all over its walls is a bit overpriced to say the least. Good hotel if you don’t care about price and will only use it for a base to do all your activities.

The room was fairly clean which was great

• Quadruple Room with Private Bathroom

Towels and sheets were dirty. Heater barely worked. Not enough toilet tissue provided. Staff was too busy tending the bar to help us with our problems. Would not stay there again.

This hotel is a great place to stay i have stayed here on a number of occations the place is spotles
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

There was not anything I did not like

Its in a great location in Amsterdam 5 mins from train station anf walking distance from everything you need. It has all places to eat and smoke all so the red light district is on your door step

A good stay over all.
    • Triple Room with Private Bathroom

Mattress kept sliding off the bed for some reason, my friends and I found that a bit annoying. Easily fixed problem though.

Best thing about this hotel was - location, location, location!!! Room was lovely and very clean, but was very small.

Location near central station.
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Room too small. For one night OK. Noisy, as it is old part of Amsterdam. Overpriced.

Location near central station. Good for early flight. Clean room and bathroom, renovated , much better than in other places like this.

Stayed in a lot of crappy places in amsterdam central this...
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Stayed in a lot of crappy places in amsterdam central this is really good in comparrison. Has the old Amsterdam stairs but that's fine everywhere does. Really clean nicely decorated, looked as it had just been refurbished. 2 mins from red light district, 5 mins from damrak and dam square!

Centrally located, everything else is okay. I won't consider good value for money though
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Lack of lift, with heavy suitcase it's not advisable, we had 2 single beds in the room, mattress moving, not comfortable, bed sheet isn't cleaned, looks & smelt like someone's already used it, caused my skin allergy to flare up. The room is too small that you can't watch television comfortably. Overall, we got what we paid for.

central location

Nice city but noisy
    • Single Room with Private Bathroom

Noisy, can't sleep at night as the hotel is not sound proof. Cross the road karaoke was noisy until 3am

Was in city centre and easy access to everything

For location its great
    • Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Cramped size. Made mistake booking twin instead of double room. Layout of twin room was a great surprise for romantic trip. Anyway my mistake for booking twin.

Location. Right at the heart of the city and 1 minute walk from the train station.

got everything you're looking for if you just want to...
    • Double or Twin Room with Private Bathroom

not sure if properly cleaned, (where still empty water bottles from the guests before in the room)

got everything you're looking for if you just want to spend the night, perfect location for travelers

Browse The Old Nickel Hotel traveller photo gallery