Reviews of Amsterdam Hotel Parklane 2 stars

Plantage Parklaan 16, Amsterdam City Centre, 1018 ST Amsterdam, Netherlands

#248 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

Very steep stairs, dated and home fixed bathroom /bedroom , noise insulation

Location is good to visit Amsterdam , but not so good if want to base in Amsterdam and travel the regional cities since it's about 20-25 min walk to central station one way. Reception lady is very friendly and helpful

No lift with very small and steep steps. Soo small that ur feet will have trouble stepping on it. No air conditioner. When asked for extra fan.refused. Checkout time is followed strictly. No grace period even for 15 mins. At all costs avoid taking room on the 3rd floor. Otherwise the room was clean

Clean rooms.

Hotel has exellent lacation, especcially if you are travelling with children. There is a small park opposite, zoo is just 5 min walking. 10-15min to the center by walking. The staff was very helpfull and nice. Hotel is small family place with simple and clean rooms. The breakfast is not very reach, but has all the necessary things for different taste.

It's an old building so you have to walk up steep stairs. Difficult with heavy luggages but it's manageable. It's a little on the expensive side but I guess Amsterdam is generally a tad bit expensive compared to some of the other European cities.

A truly boutique hotel. Conveniently located with easy access to trams. There is a park opposite to the hotel. The room we stayed was quite big. Friendly and helpful staffs. Overall a very pleasant stay. Highly recommended.

There is also no hair dryer in a room. The Internet was also not very good, I often had no connection :(

The hotel is located close to the Zoo and Opera, there is also a park across the road. Very green and nice area :) The room was clean and I had no issues during staying there, I also had a luck - it had a balcony on the 3rd floor. As for what was also nice, there were a fridge and coffee/tea in the room. I definitely advise this hotel - good quality for a good price. It could be little issue - there is no lift, it is a specificity of the building (traditional narrow Dutch house)

Steep stairs with very narrow treads. Bedroom window did not close so noisy early mornings.

Great location good breakfast helpful and pleasant staff good size room.

• Budget Twin Room

The room was even smaller than we expected. We didn't have space for our 2 suitcases unless they were blocking the door to get in/out. When they said the room had a window without a view we didn't realise that meant it was opposite a brick wall. This caused the room to be exceedingly hot even with the fan on permanently for the 4 days we were there.

The staff were extremely helpful & friendly.

I did not like going up 3 flights of stairs with my 50 lb suitcase. Although the lady who greeted me did help get it to my room. I was not given the Wi-Fi information and later in the evening there was no one around to give me that information. The window in my room did not open and there was no a/c or fan. It was fairly warm in Amsterdam while I was there.

The staff was friendly and welcoming.

Breakfast wasn't good value for money, you can get more from the cafe on the corner.

Spacious clean rooms, friendly staff, good location, tram stops outside but it isn't a far walk to the busier areas. Quite area.

The room was very outdated (furnishings) - carpet in room was old--- beds very uncomfortable, old bedding- no phone in room- no blow dryer in room- no vanity kit, no lotion, VERY EXPENSIVE for what you get...

Minor problems that were the fault of the hotel.. The curtain pole was hanging off the ceiling but this was repaired later. Our Safe did not work , they were unable to repair this which meant carrying our valuables at all time..Also there wasnt enough tea bags provided with the tea making and only coffee creamer rather than milk. However these are minor gripes, the main problem wasn't the hotels fault but the fault of booking.com. On the booking page for this hotel there were 4 options. The basic room rate was around £380 but as we wanted breakfast we chose the B&B option with an option to cancel our booking withing 2 weeks which rated at £449. We received an confirmation which in hindsight is unclear and ambiguously phrased. upon checking in we were told booking.com haven't booked us in for B&B so we would have to pay 10e extra pp per night if we wanted breakfast. The owner chased up booking.com as did we but they refused to move unless we screen captured the the page we clicked on. Of course we didn't... hence booking.com ripped us off to the tune of £60 and we had to get breakfast elsewhere. So be certain to Screen capture your rate if booking this hotel!!

Comfortable bed, Good Shower, Good location, Nice view from the room of the park.

the bed

the room was fine - bed very good. But we were on the 4th floor and NO elevator. Luckily we didn't have that much luggage - but with my bad knees I am going to double check that next time. Also it said parking (it was about 18 blocks away and cost 18 euro. It said Dogs ok - it cost an extra 15 euro for the dog. It ended up being more expensive that a more expensive hotel

Great selection for breakfast, good for all tastes. Bedroom comfortable and clean. Area quiet, with Zoo just around the corner. Public transport links excellent, going in all directions. Will be staying again in this hotel on our return trips.

• Budget Twin Room

Size of room not for 2 people, lack of visibility on the window, payment in advance with a payment order of the hotel service

location of the hotel, easily accessible pedestrian from central station, close to many tourist attractions, quiet neighborhood area

Our room was top floor and there was a few steep staircases to handle. Not easy after a few beers😂

Large room. Great location for tram into central amsterdam.

• Budget Twin Room

My room was very small but clean. Staff was really nice and accommodating. i showed up super early and they allowed me to leave my bags while i walked around.

• Budget Twin Room

Access to the third floor was by a steep staircase. The shower pressure was very low.

Well presented building in walking distance to all the attractions of central Amsterdam. Rooms spacious with reasonable facilities. Good choice for breakfast.

The bathroom could be more functional (a shower curtain and a few accessories would have been useful)

Comfortable accommodation, nice staff... There were plenty of stairs to get to our room, but for us it was not an issue. The location was quite good, well connected by trams and a short walk from some central areas. The property is a bit outdated, but I found it rather charming. Considering hotel prices in Amsterdam I consider it a good trade-off

I liked my stay at Hotel Parklane and can recommend it to single travelers who want to stay close to the city center in a private room with private bathroom for less than 100 euro/night. As a bonus, I had a balcony in room 10 which however was too cold to open in February.

id not like double bed for daughter and I at lest queen Should have been notified of bed situation. Requestd bed on lower floor and this only one available Requestd because of age

location good for money

• Quadruple Room

Breakfast a bit expensive. Hotel decor a little tired. No hairdryer.

Friendly staff. Quiet spot, easy to walk into town. My kids loved the jacuzzi. Very clean and tidy.

There is nothing to dislike!

The beds were very comfortable. The bathroom seemed to be freshly renovated. Very nice room with a great view on a small Park!

Good location, 20mins walk from city centre, 3mins away from Tramway line. Room was clean with kettle and fridge, heating was great too. Hotel host was lovely

stairs extremely steep for our friends and were very narrow towards the top so not suitable for everyone and our room was on the ground floor sandwiched between the kitchen and dining room.

The rooms were cold and noisy. One was between the kitchen and the reception, the other next to the bright sign of the hotel. The walls are made of paper so people stomping in the corridors and closing doors during the night kept waking us up.

There was a water cooker in the room. We were directed to a good cheap parking garage.

• Quadruple Room

The quadruple room was perfect for us with 3 kids and 2 adults. It was spacious with a refreshing garden view. But the best part was the wonderful staff! They gave helpful info on how to go around and find the best transpo and parking, always with a smile and warmth. We wished we stayed longer. The location is great too which is near the Artis, Nemo, and the park.

the double bed was tow separate single beds put together so they go apart while sleeping or moving in the bed. thats the only thing that bothering .

The staff was amazing. available at all time and friendly. ITs the cheapest stay we found at booking and we excepted worse but it excelled our expectation. very clean . its 3 to 5 minutes to the tram.

Not always enough tea bags

Great customer service, including quick rescue of one of us from the bathroom when the latch failed (with free breakfast for the trouble)

Enjoyed my stay in this hotel. Staff were friendly and helpful. The room was clean and had a kettle and fridge . Like all old buildings in Amsterdam it does have steep stairs but they were ok .

The walls in the hotel are very thin, and you can hear the neighbours talk or watch TV.

I enjoyed the quiet neighbourhood, the vicinity of Artis and De Hortus, a view over Wertheim Park, and the corner café (Smit&Voigt). The hotel itself was homelike, and I would've liked to stay in the room for longer. I like having a small fridge in the room, and a desk for working. The cleaning lady was also a very nice person.

Stairs at the hotel were ridiculously steep and so many with no offer to help with baggage from staff. Cups and spoon were filthy in room like they haven’t ever been washed.

Hotel is local to everything a tourist needs. All staff were so helpful and room was good value for money

The wifi was terrible - it drops out constantly The noise from hallway and other rooms comes right through the walls Narrow steps - if you have luggage the third floor is a feat

The room was very neat The little toffees were a nice touch

• Budget Twin Room

The only downsides to the property were the very steep 56 stairs up to the top floor where we were staying and the bed was much too soft for me, but that is a personal preference I suppose.

The room and bathroom were very clean and the staff very helpful and friendly. The location is perfect for visiting any part of Amsterdam either on foot or by tram.

We stayed at the parklane twice during our overseas trip. 2 nights on our way to our final destination, & 2 nights on the return. The staff were all so friendly & welcoming. They were able to accommodate our very late check in on our return. we were 3 adults & a 6 month old baby. they provided a nice little sleep cot free of charge. The hotel was meticulously clean. It was only about a 20-25 min walk to Dam Square. There is a hop-on hop-off bus stop just around the corner & a large grocery store about 10 min away for necessities. Would definitely stay here again.

Not an issue for me, but rather steep stairs, impractical with heavy suitcases.

1-person bedroom, tiny but containing all the essentials: nice clean toilet / bathroom, coffeemaker, safe, TV, fridge, balcony. Quiet neighbourhood at a good 15 to 20-minute walk from the Central Train Station.

I had problems with the stairs, not the best option if you recently had a baby and your hips haven't recovered. Also even though the neighbourhood is quiet the other gests weren't family friendly and keept us awake all night with talking and partying in the rooms and hallway. There's no space for a suitcase in the single room we stayed in (me and baby) so maybe better for backpackers. The three other hotels I stayed at in NL put me in single rooms on the ground floor so the baby wouldn't be disturbed by loud guests and the baby wouldn't keep the other guests awake, I guess my stay would have been a lot better if that would have been possible, a lot of this is on me for booking without checking properly, I had already had such wonderful experiences with the other three hotels in NL with similar houses and I read a review about this one having free baby cots and the neighbourhood being quiet that I assumed that the guests would be more family oriented than young and lively lol, good to keep in mind.

Good location and wonderful staff, they are very helpful. The single room had a fridge, nice view, private bathroom and they had a cot for the baby on hand.

Was there a lift? I took my bags up the stairs, but as I was leaving, I thought I saw maybe an elevator at the back. Also, the fan was on a timer so I had to wake up and recrank it, rather than have it just run all night.

Room was clean, bed was comfortable; nice touch to put candy on the bed every time it was made up. Nice to have an in-room fridge, too. The neighborhood is just great - quiet and neighborhood-y, but with lots of restaurant options. It is in walking distance of the zoo, it's on a tram line, and not too far from the Metro.

Not a complaint but a comment for the less abled; the hotel is situated in a old buidling, so expect steep long stairs. Some of the wooden floors creak a bit, so bring earplugs if you are a very light sleeper. Also, check the radiator temperature when entering the room. During my visit a previous guest put it on "vulcano" for no obvious reason. The shower-head was a bit close to the wall for comfort. These are all minor details though, and the atmosphere compensates for this more then enough.

This hotel offers lot of bang for your buck. The room was very large and the window view amazing. Everything is clean, and since the hotel only a few rooms you feel kind of special. It is not a standard hotel, but typical Dutch. You will find this in the small details like the boerenbont cutlery and books and boardgames in the breakfast area. It really makes you feel comfortable.

Hotel interior starting to look a little tired and dated. Discolouration of the walls and furnishings. In need of a little love

Friendly staff; nice clean room; excellent location

The mattress was in need of a big update

The hotel was lovely. A little dated but cozy. The mattress has seen better days. The staff were helpful and very nice.

A bit too expensive, but this is the case with all accommodation in Amsterdam (especially during international expos) so not really a hotel's fault. In comparison to other accommodation in Amsterdam, Parklane was even cheaper, but still expensive overall.

Great location, cleanliness, quiet room, comfortable;

The television in the room; 'old fashion' :(

Very friendly, and helping staff. This nice hotel is well located in a quiet, and lovely area of Amsterdam with several coffees, and restaurants :)

The linen was very old with a holes and it was not clean, I found somebody's hair on it. Yuck! The stairs doesn't fit old or disabled persons.

Enough space in room for this part of city. Great location. Very friendly staff.

• Budget Twin Room

Hotel room is really small to acomodate two people, price is to much for it.. not happy with the price and the room in general

Hotel location is great and not far from the center.

This is a reasonably priced hotel, in a good location. The staff are friendly & helpful. Although it was a single room, it was bigger than expected (the website photos made it look smaller than it is).

The stairs are very tiny and steep. They were ok for me and my friend as we had backpacks and stable legs. But I think if you're an older traveler it could be difficult to use the stairs.

This room is larger than others in Amsterdam. The building is old, but still taken care of.

It could be made comfier. The steps to the different floors are very steep and there is no lift so not recommended for people with mobility problems.

The hotel is located in a beautiful leafy area just a 2 minute walk from tram that takes you to city centre (aprox 20 min walk)

opening the window could be a bit difficult as it was old and heavy. Access to the toilet was a hint difficult as not much space.

I had a single room to the back. It was very , very quiet at night. Large window and door to the fire escape allowed a lot of airflow. Good sized shower. While a small room, it had everything I needed and was in the perfect location for the zoo where I had meetings. I will happily stay here again if the price is right.

We had a room on second floor and there was no lifts in the building. Taking walk up on narrow and steep stairs, especially with backpacks, can make you really tired :)

Location was good for us - close to the centre of Amsterdam and not really in the centre. During all day there isn't so much noice so you can really relax at night or stay longer in bed in the morning. The stuff looks helpful, there is some maps and discounty vouchers in the lobby. If you come by car remember to park it on P+R place. We parked on Ajax Arena and took the metro to city centre. The hotel is 10 minutes walking from Waterlooplein station.

No elevator, stairs are not so easy to climb up with luggage. The fridge didn't work very well, it kept freezing and unfreezing on its own.

Location is amazing: there's a nice small park with a canal just outside the hotel, tram stop is just round the corner, as well is a zoo and a couple of museums + botanical garden is very close by. But the street is quiet all the time. Hotel is in the city center, so all main attractions are in walkable distance. There's a big supermarket in 7 min walk.

More varieties for breakfast.

Very good value for money! If you don't plan to stay all day in the room then this hotel is amazing. Location is amazing, 4 train stations take you to the centar. Very helpful staff.

The stairs are way too steep and getting to my room wasn't easy. The staff were very rude and when asking to print something off of my phone, they wouldn't let me despite the fact that without it I might have not been able to catch my flight. They ignored my pleading and just kicked me out. The place wasn't even a hotel. It was more like a prison. The only thing that was there for temperature control was a fan. The concierge is just some desk and the rooms are tiny.

There was nothing better than my expectations.

I visited this hotel during the hot spell of June 2017. The room became very warm over the course of the day (no helping that). This meant I slept with the door to the little balcony and windows open. However, even though it was a low-mosquito summer, a few still got into my room and kept me awake, and it was much too hot to cover myself with anything to keep them off. So one thing they could improve is add some screens to at least the windows so they can be open without letting in the bugs.

My room was a minimum-necessary room so I rate it within those conditions. It had a decent bed, the wifi seemed ok for checking mail (I didn't stream videos or anything like that), and the bathroom was pretty nice. Additionally this particular room happened to have a little deck behind it with what I think was a fire-escape stairwell, and it overlooks the back yards of other buildings so a nice view of trees and greenery as well as some (wild?) parrots flying around and a breeze.

The wifi was a bit slow for streaming, the bed was ok, but was sunken in the middle. Apart from that everything was great, especially compared with the price.

The staff was very friendly and helpful at all times. I felt very welcome. The location is great and very close to the city center, walking distance around 5-10 minutes.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

very steep three flight walk up

Right next to a small park and botanical gardens. The gardens aren't much but have one of the best cafe's with amazing carrot cake and fresh croissant - a must! A wine stone and coffee shop are just around the corner. Had a very spacious room with great view. No A/C but that was fine as they had a fan in the room. Also offered small fridge (to help cool the wine)

No air-conditioning! And we came in a very hot week so we couldnt stay in the room in the hot part of the day or sleep at noon. They clean the room but they didnt clean the closet and i had to clean it myself before putting clothes in it. Lots of difficult stairs and no elevator, its hard to walk them and to get the luggage up and down if you are at the second or third floor. It seems to be one of the cheapest hotels but we did pay a lot of money and think the palce needs renovation.

We didnt have breakfast but it seemed great. The hosts are very nice and always there to help, the location was perfect- not far from the center but in a quiet and beautiful place and just near a trum station (that takes you to the center, train station, dum squer etc...)

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

There is no elevator and it is a bit noisy inside the hotel and outside. The other people in the other rooms were very noisy, especially the children. I think the price I paid was too much for a 2 stars hotel but I guess it's because Amsterdam is very touristic.

The hotel is located in a lovely and quiet neighbourhood not far from the centre and the train station. The room was big and comfortable and the wifi was good.

A little way out of town; a good 15-20 min walk.

Staff were helpful and friendly. Bed was comfy. Close to tram line. Although walk was pretty straight forward.

Noise from other guests could be heard through walls. Not a problem of the property but rather of inconsiderate guests.

The property owner was always available to assist. The hotel was very clean and warm and I was made to feel very safe as a solo female traveler. Daily room service was wonderful. Free Wifi handy. Breakfast offered variety and was plentiful. Finally location, location, location perfect.

VERY OLD AND POOR HOTEL WITH SEEMINGLY KIND STAFF!!! ...for 192 euro per night! The negatives are a lot: terrible smell everywhere; sheer ( even dangerous) stairs; no elevator; tiny floor and walls; several burned bulbs; clogged sink; no air conditioner; wet floor in the bathroom after shower; plastic protector over the mattress... Breakfast - limited quantity and poor quality ( several slices of ham and cheese, 2 pieces of tomato, 3 croissants... and a man who strictly watch !!! what you are going to put in your plate. What a shame! I wonder how is possible to exist this hotel and to have positive reviews!

There was a strange pit under the carpet in the middle of free space.

Very close to the city centre. There are two parks nearby. Nice place to stay. The room was a bit small with a very high ceiling. It was clean.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

They made fraud. We booked 2 Adults and 2 children room and they gave us 2 adult room only. After payment and check in, when we asked them they said we have entered zero aged children. How is it possible,? Where is children age options in booking.com. Also they misguided on car parking location

• Quadruple Room

No lift No hairdryer in the room No parking (BUT 50% discount for the Q Park in the city. normal price is 12€ per day, 6€ with the discount - one of the cheapest options)

Great location(20 min walk from the centraal, calm district, with the supermarket nearby; Large and comfortable room (we had the N3- one for 4 persons) with TV, fridge, jacuzzi bathtub and tea/coffee.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Great value hotel for getting in & out of Amsterdam. Everything is within walking distance - I never walked more than 40mins to access any of the attractions I wanted to visit during my stay - but it's also out of town enough to enjoy some peace and quiet after a hectic day in Amsterdam. Rooms are comfortable, traditionally furnished rather modern, perfectly clean and with all basic facilities including a fridge and a safe. Comfy bed to sleep in, great view from the window overlooking Werthiem Park. Free wifi. Just be warned - if you are in any way infirm or frail, avoid rooms above the first floor - the second set of stairs are lethal! Otherwise, very highly recommended for a comfortable, if basic, budget stay in an excellent location.

In no particular order: a. The view from my roof was of a series of ordinary backyards from the surrounding properties. b. The mattress on my bed was thin and pretty much worn out which resulted in lower back discomfort every morning until it gradually eased up with walking. c. When I first arrived at the hotel the only towel in my roof was the cotton floor mat one would normally use when standing in the bathroom. d. There was no shower curtain for the shower the entire nine nights I was there. That meant the bathroom floor was underwater after I finished with my morning/evening showers. This was not a result of excessively long showers or my carelessness in using the hand held shower head. I placed the aforementioned cotton floor mat down after the first day (when I finally was provided with a normal bath towel) but it was quickly soaked and became useless thereafter.. e. Being an old building, the walls did little to block out the noise of the adjoining room (e.g. I could clearly hear the male occupant snoring). f. My room was on the third (top) floor and access was gained by stairs. This hotel does not have an elevator. The stairs were narrow and caused great difficulty getting luggage up or down. Elderly people will find this a nigh near impossible situation. The risers themselves narrowed at certain points and became dangerous to use. The stairs were also difficult to navigate even when I was not having to tote luggage up or down due to the steepness and narrowing of the risers.

The staff was pleasant and helpful when needed. Hotel access from Central Station was good and the various important venues in Amsterdam Central were reachable by walking. The neighborhood was quiet even on Kings Day.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

The bathroom was a bit cramped but otherwise everything was great.

I could control the heat in my room which was nice. The location was superb with a nice little park across the street

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Our room was on the second floor and there is no lift. The stairs from first floor to second floor are a little tricky to negotiate after a long day.

Location to city centre was great. Bed was really comfy. Having a fridge and safe in room was great.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Room was very small, not enough space to move around. Compared to other hotels with similar prices its not value for money. Also the room was on the thrid floor with no lift and steep climbing stairs.

Staff were very friendly and location was good.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Steep stairs, it is wet in the bathroom after taking a shower

Spacious suites, good matress, helpful staff (changed our bed linens when we asked), staff gave us a discount for parking in Oostport (25 minutes walking). It is close to the center (20 minutes walking from Red Square district)

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

No milk for hot drinks in the room and not a great selection of to channels.

The beautiful high ceilings, original staircase and long red velvet curtains. Bathroom/wet room was clean and tidy. Good use of the minimal space.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

NO ELEVATOR! This was not mentioned in the Booking.com site. Our room was on the 3rd floor, the 4th floor by North American standards, and we had heavy luggage with us. Impossible for us to carry our loaded suitcases four flights up. We were told "no refund" but we compromised and the staff was instructed to carry our luggage up and down. The narrow, old, steep and high stairs were a difficulty throughout our stay, even without luggage.

Walking distance to downtown etc. Accommodating staff

Our room had a soft spot right in the middle of it that was extremely disconcerting. It was covered with carpet, but we felt like we might fall through to the floor below any time we stepped on it. It was a safety hazard that we tripped on several times. Other issues: the prices zoom up--almost doubling--by the end of the week and the weekend. One of the reasons I booked it was the price, but in the end it did not seem like good value. Perhaps that is normal for Amsterday. Also, the daytime manager is helpful but not friendly.

The location is great and the owners seemed friendly and helpful. The beds were comfortable.

Furniture was too old and broken. Bed was not comfortable at all. Towels were too old which turned into grey, not white any more. Door locking system was old fashioned.

Hotel was close to centre

The room was tiny but I was only in the room to sleep so didn't really bother me. I was on the top floor so had 54 stairs to walk up, again it didn't really bother me once I got my suitcase up there. I would stay there again

The staff were nice and friendly, the location was perfect for me, just on the edge of the center, a short 10 minute walk to the center or a quick 2 minute bike ride. The room and bathroom were clean. The hotel hires bikes which was great so you can hit the ground running (or riding).... I would stay there again

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

• Budget Twin Room

Everything was brilliant. Staff friendly and helpful. Room was good size and comfy. location was only 5 min tram to centre. Would 100% stay again as soon as possible. THANK YOU

Browse Amsterdam Hotel Parklane traveller photo gallery