Reviews of Hotel Prins Hendrik 3 stars

Prins Hendrikkade 53, Amsterdam City Centre, 1012 AC Amsterdam, Netherlands

#218 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

• Quintuple Room

Since the room has no aircon, we have to open the windows. There is a lot of noise from the road and the smoke smell is going inside the room. The hotel did provide an electric fan however it cannot accommodate the full room.

Very near to Centraal Station Amsterdam. Lots of restaurants near by. Staff (Carlo) is really friendly and accommodating. He will assist on tours and good discounts.

• Quadruple Room

The old man at the reception was so rude. He so didn’t care about me and my friends and forced me to pay the fee quickly. I said goodnight to him. He replied “maybe” Maybe he is the manager or the owner so he doesn’t care about being rude to the customers.

The breakfast was great! The beds were so confortable and towels were changed every day. The lift is available so that’s great. Most of the receptionists were really helpful.

• Double or Twin Room

I found it extremely expensive. I didn't t get the room I booked. Instead I got a four single bed hotelroom for one person. I was then told by reception the higher floor I go, the quieter it will get. I was also told I'd have the best view but when I got to my room I looked out onto buildings and works. Checkout was at 11am and when I checked out at 10:30am breakfast had finished and no effort was made by staff for me to eat, instead I was given stale bread and slices of cheese lumped on a side plate. I found the staff to be quite dismissive of their guests. I guess making a complaint is not tolerated at Prins Hendrik. I found the website and information whilst booking my room quite misleading as I was very dissapointed with what I got. If checkout is at 11am, shouldn't breakfast finish at 11:30am or thereabouts?? And shouldn't the staff let the guest know what time breakfast is finished at since they are paying for it!? I don't usually write reviews but this time I will.

Street noise at night by drunk tourists but that's a by product of the great location across from the train station

Great location, breakfast selection better than many 4* hotels

• Quadruple Room

the room wasn't clean - footprints on the walls, the pillows had hair on them, hair in the bathtub. for the quality of the room and breakfast it was a very expensive stay!

some of the friendliest staff I've ever met travelling. the location is also really good, easy walking distance to most things.

Well, don’t expect too much luxury. Most of the facilities are old but still relatively in good shape. Considering all other factors, this hotel is the best bargain you can find at such a great location!!!

Great location, just 5 minutes from the Amsterdam Centraal. Great breakfast, I enjoyed!! Relatively quiet despite being in a busy neighborhood. Excellent staff!!

• Double or Twin Room

Nothing - everything superb !

Exceptionally helpful and friendly reception service. Our room was superb. The location of the hotel was ideal as we arrived by train and departed on a river cruise ship at the nearby terminal. No a/c in room - fan struggled with unseasonal hot weather.

• Double or Twin Room

The hotel was under renovation and no one informed me before booking. I arrived at 2 am, woke up due to the noise of the renovations at 7:30 AM , When I have a work meeting at 10 am -so - I'm clearly tired. ** In addition, I returned from the work meeting at 2:00 PM , To rest but the room was not delicately arranged. When I asked why the room was still tidy, I got an answer Strange, first we arrange the rooms of the departures and then the guest rooms Existing, that is, those who want to rest noon can not !! *** What bothers me as an old customer of yours is that this is the second time that happens to me. hotels do not inform you of that are undergoing renovations, and I will decide if I want to order them. *** Waiting for your answer.

it is close to the city center and public transport what we need.

• Double or Twin Room

Carpet was very ruff and uncomfortable in bare feet

Felt that the photographs do not do the hotel justice x The room we stayed in was amazing !!!! Perfect location, perfect view !!! The couple of things that let the hotel down was no hair dryer and no hot drink making facilities x

• Double or Twin Room

- Old fashioned room (not adapted to what you would expect) - Just before the window there were building machine located -> so very limited view outside - Strang that they asked to leave your card at the reception when you go out the hotel - Blankets didn't smell 100% fresh - No decent coffee ("perculator") at breakfast

Near by center and central station of Amsterdam People at the reception were very friendly

• Quadruple Room

The toilet floors were always wet after a shower. It did dry up easily though. The mattress slipped off the divan easily making it quite uncomfortable. The mattresses were also too soft for my liking. We had the room windows opened And the noise was unbearable as our room was situated right above a bar. The noise carried of till 4am.

The location was definitely the biggest plus point. Within a ten minute walk to Amsterdam Centraal station. The reception staff were helpful and friendly. Loads of tours that you can book through the hotel, at discounted prices too. Plenty of food and shopping options within walking distance of the hotel.

This accommodation, given it's reasonable price for Amsterdam central exceeded our expectations. On arrival we were a little unsure, but with the great customer service from Reception and actually seeing our very spacious room we were all delighted. Everyone slept like a baby as the windows are so good they basically make the room sound proof when closed and the beds I wanted to bring home. They literally have the comfiest mattress. The place was spotless. Breakfast was amazing. The croissants were so fresh and the bacon was delish. All 15 of us were delighted, would highly recommend and definitely stay again.

• Quintuple Room

Breakfast staff wasn't very friendly and not enthusiastic. No greetings, avoiding any eye contacts and hardly any refills on the buffet considering we didn't arrived that late for breakfast.

Location is absolutely great and the lifts are a rare find in Amsterdam.

• Double or Twin Room

Quite noisy outside at night (rooms aren't very soundproof). Room was extremely dark. No toiletries / hairdryer available. No minibar / kettle. Good if you only want a comfortable bed / shower for the night and don't plan to stay in the room much during the day. No air-con. Not the best value for money but Amsterdam hotels in general are quite pricey.

Extremely close to Amsterdam Centraal station so transport back/forth the airport, out of Amsterdam and jumping on the metro couldn't have been more convenient. Walking distance to a lot of attractions. Comfy bed and shower pressure is good. There is someone at the reception 24/7 if you need anything and staff are helpful. A much-needed fan was provided upon request.

AC

We had a room on the 4th floor. The room was large for Amsterdam and comfortable. The Hotel has no AC but did provide a fan upon request. The hotel is only a short walk from the Central Train station and easy walk to most sights. Breakfast was very good. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Double or Twin Room

Had to go to a different building to our rooms. 3rd floor - the smallest thinnest spiral steps I’ve ever come across with suitcases was very challenging. Reception staff grumpy.

• Double or Twin Room

Great place to stay, just a short walk from train station. Breakfast was great..bacon, eggs, fruit, meats, cheese...all excellent. My only comment...perhaps providing hair dryers in rooms would help those who travel half way round the world and two of the reception staff were excellent....one older one could only be described as grumpy and gruff....otherwise perfect for us.

• Quadruple Room

No air conditioning (or even ceiling fans) - although it was not yet summer, we felt the need for AC since the room was quite hot during night. AC could have also help block the noisy street sounds. More lights, especially at breakfast dining room can much improve the place! The access to the room w. a baby stroller was difficult (elevator a bit slow, very narrow corridors w. heavy doors in between)! Luckily we had a very narrow stroller, a wider one could not be used there!

The room was very spacious (with 2 double beds and sitting area and even more space), and being with a 4 month baby this was very comfortable. Big windows and beautiful view gave a wonderful feeling. A big variety of restaurants just out of the hotel. Most of the staff in reception were helpful, and receptionist 3-11 pm (Carlo?) was amazing - extremely nice and informative! THANK YOU!

• Quintuple Room

Five minutes far away from railway station, strategical position in the center of Amsterdam. Clean and comfortable, in a traditional building.

the facilities are dated and could surely use some serious refurbishment. I don't like leaving the key in reception.

great location, good breakfast. some of the stuff (not all!) is nice and fun. bed was very clean.

• Quadruple Room

A little shabby but nothing that a little TLC cannot fix.

Great location. Lovely big room ideal for groups. Staff friendly. Super choice at breakfast. 24 hour manned desk.

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was average. Scrambled eggs were cold, not hugely bothered tho’

Great Location, Room was more like junior suit rather than standard hotel room, excellent staff. There were Thai and Chinese town on the right hand side of the hotel, perfect Thai take away for €11 (huge portion, 2 of us shared), Thai snackbar Bird - definitely recommend.

The hotel was a bit cramped and with an outside room could be a bit noisy. I would recommend asking for an inside room if there is one unless you like going out late or are a sound sleeper.

The Restaurant was excellent. I ate there every evening. The breakfast was great too. A lot of choice and plentiful. The Hotel itself occupies a fantastic location right opposite the central station and the trams and within walking distance of almost everywhere.

• Quadruple Room

Rooms could have been a little better equipped. I.enjoy a kettle would have been good

Adequate and varied breakfast. Our rooms were very basic however we chose the hotel for location and that was perfect. Immediately opposite central station so 15 mins straight tout airport. Everything was on our doorstep. The reception staff were amazing; knowledgeable and continually happy to assist and advise

• Double or Twin Room

Our room faced the street so it was noisy- it is Old Amsterdam so it comes with the territory. Bring ear plugs.

Great location! Easy walk to Central Station and all old Amsterdam has to offer. Staff were very helpful. Breakfasts were fanatastic with something for everyone! The restaurant at the hotel was wonderful too, great meals at good prices.

Rooms are a bit tired. Wet room shower, not my favourite thing.

Very friendly staff and best location for all public transport .Lots of different restaurants nearby.

• Double or Twin Room

Too Noisy, bearly sleep at nights. Most of days got quite until 3 or 4 am!!! don’t have hair blower, some staff is poor knowledge of local attractions,

Location is good, Calo is excellent, very knowledgeable and helpful. Breakfast is also a A plus. WIFI is fast.

• Quadruple Room

Could not sleep all night due to the noise from ceiling. People walking on the floor above kept us up all night. In addition, it was so warm and humid but we couldn’t keep the window open because it was loud outside. No air conditioning either. Bed sheets were dirty, had to make the staff change them because they didn’t change it daily. There was no shower curtain, so the water fell everywhere. Housekeeping was horrible, they didn’t vacuum the floor. Breakfast was cold. The whole hotel didn’t feel clean at all. The staff tried to put us in a room in an annex building where the stairs were too narrow to climb with luggage and there were garbage bags on the floor surrounding the stairs. We had to insist on a new room and even then, they told us everything was booked but when we asked later we found that there were plenty of vacant rooms available. They also charged us $200 extra for the room as compared to the rate on site.

• Double or Twin Room

No fan or air condition and couldn't open the windows for fresh air. Also could do with a small fridge to keep water and drinks cold

We like the proximity to the city centre and the helpfulness of staff

• Double or Twin Room

I wan't thrilled to be roomed in the annex with its narrow set of winding stairs and no elevator. And the Wi-fi from the Annex doesn't work. Probably does from the main hotel where the router is likely located.

By far a very professional staff that goes the distance to be helpful. I liked that it was only a short walk from the Central train station and muni lines which made traversing the city and getting to and from the airport easy and cheap. It is only5.30 Euros from the airport on the train to Central Station.

• Double or Twin Room

The bar was more expensive in comparison to other locations. For example, 3 X 500ml beers and 1 small wine was 35 euros!

Excellent location and the reception staff very friendly. Also, we got early check-in which was brilliant.

• Quadruple Room

The only down side I can point is that my group stayed in a 4th floor, and the only acess was a relatively narrow spiral stair. There was no elevator on that part of the building.

The rooms were great and the staff very helpful. The location is amazing and if I'm going back to Amesterdam, I'll probably gonna book the same place again. Breakfast was also delicious. Also the view from the room was great.

Tea & coffee in the room would have been nice.

The location was excellent,the beds were really comfortable,the breakfast was superb and the staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

No bathmat Towels very small Lighting very poor Rude manager on front desk

Food in bar very good Staff in bar very friendly One manager was very helpful

My room was a in a holeway full of sheet, has no window view, and i could hear each little noise of the other room so i couldnt concentrate to sleep. When i complain my room, the staff answer me that they are three starr hotel , so i always travel and stay in three stars hotel and that was my first time to an experience like that. i asked to staff to change my room they recommend me a room with 200 euro price for 3 star hotel. Unfurtunalety, i wouldnt recommend this hotel to anybody

• Quadruple Room

. Staff were very rude from start to finish . When we had to check out we asked for later check out as we were told it would be available and they said the room was booked up . Fair enough if it was but they entered our room without knocking numerous of times at one stage the male cleaner entered without knocking as my friend was still in her underwear and they barely gave us a second to finishing getting our stuff together.. wouldn't recommend

Room was nice ans spacious and location was good

• Double or Twin Room

I do not know if linen should be changed mid-week but ours was not. The bed was comfy but the pillows were terrible. Also the noise outside the window was terrible with men working at 8 o'clock in the morning.

• Double or Twin Room

It can be quite loud as the hotel is in a very busy street. There is also no hairdryer or tea and coffee in room.

Really comfortable bed, spacious and really good location!

• Double or Twin Room

Staff was amazing. 5 Stars, room was pleasant and big. Shower and tub were great. Very clean and comfy. Will return. Super close to the Central train station (5 minute walk)

• Double or Twin Room

Room was a little dated but clean and comfortable.

Great location if you don't want to rent a car, on a main square so a little noisy. Best for younger travelers. Bathroom was updated. Breakfast was included and wonderful.

Some of the rooms require a long walk up a tight staircase.

Breakfast was good, early, quick and portable. The place couldn't be closer to the station unless it was a train carriage. Staff were fantastically helpful. Looked after a bag I dropped off and reprinted boarding cards and railway tickets for me when I lost mine, within 5 mins and at no cost. They appear to really care about their guests here.

The room was not clean, there was a bloody tissue next to my bed. I requested a non-smoking room and the room, especially the bed, smelled very strongly of smoke. The windows didn’t close properly and so it was very noisy.

• Quadruple Room

Couldn’t fault the hotel at all. Very clean, all staff were fabulous, especially Tony in the bar who looked after everyone very well whether you were a guest in the hotel or just someone off the street popping in for a drink. Definitely recommend this hotel

It was very central and everything was within walking distance. Views of the canal were great.

Room smelt a little like a dutch coffee shop. Bit of Lynx sorted it out.

Great position, friendly staff. Rooms were basic but clean and comfortable. Rooms were quiet considering hotel is in a busy area

We had a triple room and I have arthritis in my knees. There was a steep staircase directly into the room which caused me real problems. Getting the cases up there was difficult too. The room was very noisy until gone 2am as it was on the front of the building.

Brilliant location for all the sights and tourist attractions.

• Double or Twin Room

The lighting was minimal. Barely enough to read. Not enough hooks to hang up coats to dry if wet outside. Also in bathroom to hang up wet towels. Also only three hangers for two of us to hang up all our clothes in the wardrobe.

The double bed was huge and extra warm and cozy. The room was plenty big enough to take the large bed.

Rooms a little outdated ,

Fantastic location , very helpful and friendly staff, rooms were spacious and good beds. No problems sleeping at night x buffet breakfast was great plenty of choice . Would highly recommend and look forward to staying again .

• Double or Twin Room

Almost 200 euros/night is expensive, even to Amsterdam. There are many bars and restaurant s near the hotel, during the night is almost impossible sleep. The breakfast is good, but they could have more fruits and light things.

The location is perfect, near of everything you must see in Amsterdam. Breakfast is reasonable. The staff is polite and kind. The bath is good and clean.

• Quadruple Room

Handrail in bath would not have been missing, exposing screws on the wall next to the bath.

The staff were very helpful and friendly. The room was very spacious and the beds extremely comfortable. Breakfast was excellent value, offering a superb range of breads. All of this in a convenient location. You couldn't ask for more for your money.

• Quadruple Room

Was noisy at night due to location, so bring earplugs and you'll be fine. Amsterdam properties are costly as compared to similar properties in other popular European cities.

Location is right near the Central train station and easy to walk to with luggage. Staff's helpfulness in recommending sites. Size of rooms was great for a large family. Breakfast variety.

No hair dryer and gluten free food not labelled i.e gluten free bread and crackers not labelled.

Room and bedding very clean, staff very informative and friendly.

The shower went off a couple of times when using it and took a while to come back on. We assumed it was because lots of people may have been showering at the same time.

The location was fabulous, breakfast was lovely with fresh baked croissants, cereal and breads. We were in apartment 2 which was massive, clean and comfortable. Had a great time at the prins Hendrik hotel and will definitely be back.

• Double or Twin Room

No hairdryer in room, but asked at reception and use it for duration of our stay

Absolutely everything was great. We loved it, and will definitely return

Room 140 is very run-down, with poor windows that allow the unbearably loud street noise into the room all night long. Close to impossible to get any sleep. No bedside table, so bedside lamp sits on carpet. Corridors full of racks of sheets and other items partially blocking the way. Photo of single room on booking no way matched this room in quality. Inadequate shower setup.

Fantastic choice for breakfast. Great wifi. Very helpful and efficient receptionists.

• Double or Twin Room

Room stank of smoke, had a first floor street facing room and loud noise was constant as no secondary glazing. No in room facilities such as kettle ,safe or ironing board. Quite run down .only aloud a single key which is tricky if you want to come and go at different times.

Great location, check in friendly

• Quadruple Room

The location and the view out of the window were AMAZING! And for that price!! We were very happy about our choice and would recommend the hotel especially for young folks exploring Amsterdam :)

• Double or Twin Room

Hotel lobby staff was nice. Absolute ignorant on the day of check out. Noisy area Very very dirty room I would not stay their again .

It was a good location as I’ve stayed round that after before.

• Double or Twin Room

The stairs in Amsterdam are very steep and twisty but it’s the same everywhere

Booked last minute and got upgraded from a twin room to a whole floor apartment.

• Quadruple Room

The 3 flights of cramped spiral stairs to our room, which although warm and comfortable was badly in need of a re vamp.

Breakfast was excellent and Dinner in the restaurant was good. Reception was particularly helpful and all staff were courteous and obliging.

• Double or Twin Room

Since we requested for a higher and quiet room. We where staying on the second floor and if you open the window for its just too noisy. Need to change to a better coffee machine that can provide more coffee selections. Some of the furniture need to change or refurbish. They have stained from wall paint.

Good location, friendly and helpful staff. Nice breakfast buffet.

• Quadruple Room

I think the pillows could have been a little bit more firmer

The location was perfect, just across from the station and very central so can walk everywhere. The beds were extremely comfy. Also 24 hour reception so you can leave the key there for the day and don’t have to look after it.

• Double or Twin Room

Staff at the front desk could be a more friendly. I was scolded for not turning in my key when I went out to eat. When I checked in no one told me I had to turn in the key when I went out.

The breakfast was very good.

The bed was very, very soft and the pillows were very thin.

Large room and bathroom for three people. Very clean, good breakfast, and very good location.

• Double or Twin Room

As mentioned before room not as good as previous visit rather shabby looking.

Nice Hotel and Breakfast, warm comfortable, Restaurant and Pub nice food and staff. Room OK but looked a bit shabby to my surprise but very clean.

On Sunday came back to hotel roomed had been cleaned but the door wasn't shut property told the man on reception and he said oh well never mind didn't think that was right has I had all my stuff in room really annoyed at that

Nice location

There was really nothing to like. The room was extremely small. No place to put your suitcase. In the bathroom, the shelf under the mirror more or less covered the doll's wash basin. Dim lighting, no chance to read or work. The only way to plug in anything was a multi plug box so dirty that you didn't want to touch it. Bed was not made properly. No insulation of any kind. As this part of town has become very noisy since I was there last, it was like sleeping on a bench in the park, even with the window closed. There was some little peace between 2 am and 5 am. Due to the size, the room got warm during the night. The breakfast selection was okay, but the quality of the ingredients was the cheapest. Now, this is the experience based on my room. Other rooms may be different, but it isn't worth taking the risk. There are plenty of other hotels. General advice: If you plan to sleep, choose a hotel to the right of the Damrak when you are standing with your back to the railway station. The sex industry is to the left. Modern hotels have sound insulation, so in case you choose one of them, the location is not so important. On the other side of the Singel, anything - more or less - will do. You may say that 105 euros a night is cheap for Amsterdam. No price is low enough for that room. I wouldn't take it if they gave it away for free!

Nothing, really.

• Quadruple Room

Stair access was very poor and dangerous One member of the staff at reception was abrupt and very unhelpful

Location Standard 3 star hotel Our room was clean Lift access was okay

• Double or Twin Room

the only one item-that would be good to have a small coffee pot in the room ;)

Perfect breakfast with fresh pastry, big room, nice bathroom, ideal location -exactly at the city centre, close to the bus station, trams, shopping and key attractions. Staff was perfect, thanks for coupons and recommendations given every day on what good to visit. Truly recommend.

Can’t fault them at all..

The staff are the best! So friendly and helpful and I love that the rooms are lovely and big and CLEAN! Also the hotel is right at the centre of everything so 100% gets my vote every time I go to Amsterdam.. I LOVE IT :)

• Double or Twin Room

there was some work being done at the front of the building right outside of our window wasnt told about it woke us up early wasnt to much bother

Welcome to Netherlands. Call & text UK, EU & other EEA numbers & get online using your allowance at no extra cost here. It's then 3p/min 2p/SMS 1p/MB. Calls & texts are free to receive. Data use over 13GB but within your allowance incurs a surcharge of 0.50p/MB. Emergency free call 112. For full charging info call +447782333330 free

First night didn’t sleep a wink with noise on Street but to be expected. Back room not available. Would have liked “do not disturb signs” as housekeeper walked in one afternoon while I was resting. Didn’t hear him knock and got a fright although he was very apologetic. A kettle would have been useful even if we had to hire.

I didn’t have coffee so don’t know how it tasted. The location is excellent for sightseeing.,staff were very friendly and helpful. Good to get a plug to charge my phone. Breakfast and dinner good. Lovely steak. Nice and warm in the hotel considering temperatures were at minus 4. Yes would recommend.Tony in the bar was excellent and very helpful.

• Double or Twin Room

TV channels- they do offer a generous 122 channels but not a lot of them work Bed sheets/mattress- the bed sheets often came off the bed while sleeping (could be tucked in a bit better) and the bed developed a crevace between the two mattresses which made it a bit uncomfortable some nights Decor is outdated and could also be improved but I also like that it added to the "old school" and quaint feeling

Friendly, helpful and professional staff Very clean Big room Good breakfast selection Perfect location for exploring View Convenience of bar onsite

• Double or Twin Room

First thing this hotel needs to do is work on the sound proofing. I was at the front of the hotel and the windows are so thin you could hear all the noise from the traffic (main road outside) and the people exiting the bars that are directly under the hotel. You then also hear the rubbish carts collect very early in the morning. When I asked if I could have a fan to dry and drown out the noise I was told that they didn't have any and that I should try ear plugs!! Other negatives were only having 2 pillows on a double bed (I would normally expect 4) and being a tall person I could not fit under the Shower (1.93cm tall) as I had to duck under the ceiling in the bathroom. Also managed to injure myself as some clever spark put a sharp metal toilet roll holder too close to the toilet, so when you sit down you can catch yourself :-( . The iron I borrowed had a dirty base plate and the board was a half size that had to go on the floor. Also there are not many electrical sockets in the room and they are poorly placed.

The location is the best thing about this hotel and the main reason why I chose it. Very close to Centraal Station and also the Beursvan Berlage where I was attending a conference. The bed and the size of the room were very good although there are some major negatives.

• Double or Twin Room

Old room and very simple. Bring your earplugs - a lot of noise in the evening.

Great location next to everything !! We had a room in the Annex with a nice city view. Beds OK. Nice staff

• Double or Twin Room

Our room was on the third floor and up a very steep flight of narrow stairs. Fortunately we didn't have much luggage. Room was cold to begin with but warmed up when we put radiator on Furnishings old and basic . Mattress quite soft.

Clean and tidy. Room was very big. Fabulous view from window. Ideal for anyone wanting to be near the central station and the bus stop for P&O Hull ferries. Kept our luggage for us when we arrived and left. Good breakfast included with good variety of items.

Browse Hotel Prins Hendrik traveller photo gallery