Reviews of Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel 5 stars

#185 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

6.2

5.3

• Deluxe Room

The only negative was that there was no airconditioning in the room. Everything else was great.

Great location for getting to the port for further travels. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. All the staff were friendly and extremely helpful. We were there only one night. Wish we could have stayed longer.

• Family Room

With 700€ for 2 nights you expect to have some amenities apart from shampoo and soap, at least slippers. Everything else is charged extra.

Excellent location, really close to Centraal Station. Spacious family room with two double beds. Iron & ironing board. Hairdryer.

• Family Room

Internet is no good at all even for thr free wifi have to pay €9.99 for a day! Best option to use wifi when around and stopping in places annoyingly but hotel should state no free wifi only let down

Great staff all very helpful they had a beautiful smell as you walked in from the scented defuser and fresh flowers which was lovely too

• Family Room

Ridiculously expensive: nearly 460 € for one night for 2 adults and 2 children, on two beds of approx 160cm / 63 inch wide. Bathroom with a curtain. Hotel is said to to centrally located is probably true, right in the middle of cannabis country. After 20 years of frequent travelling in the higher category, this is my worst experience. There is nothing 5 not even 4 stars about this hotel - to be avoided.

• Deluxe Room

Filipa Who greeted us was amazing! So kind and helpful after an awful day and our flight being cancelled. We hope her manager is pleased with her work as we couldn’t fault her.

• Deluxe Room

The room was small, smelly with dirty toilet seat. I needed to clean it myself once we got into the room. (I wish I could forget the image.) The breakfast was not worth of the money. This hotel was not a good value.

• Deluxe Room

Fitness room had lack of equipment. The view from our room was a parking building.

Very pleasant entrance to the hotel, public areas as well. Room is comfortable and clean. Although the hotel was fully booked, it was quite and didn't feel like that. Location is great. Staff is helpful I would like especially to remind the concierge Ismail.

• Deluxe Room

A better room. out look was over a flat roof, if the hotel could do something with to Britten this erea.

Staff very professional. Breakfast good all round choice, amazing coffee.

• Deluxe Room

The shower in the hotel was not up to standard. Not very powerful at all. But honestly that’s the only negative we had.

The staff were v friendly v helpful and generally really nice people. Great location v close to everything just far enough back to not get any noise

• Family Room

Had to wait over hour and half or longer for second room to be ready very disappointed as we had booked it 3 months in advance however we were giving drink vouchers for the mess up

Beds were very comfy hotel was very clean staff really nice

• Family Room

Lighting in room Tv didn’t have music channel Mini bar wasn’t great No mirror by dressing table

The bar was decorated nice Clean sheets Spacious

• Deluxe Room

at the time of my booking it states that city tax and VAT were included in the deal, the room was prepaid. Checkout time I had to pay those taxes though. So where did it go wrong, at the hotel or at Bookings.com?

• Deluxe Room

Staffing levels and cleanliness could have been better. At 0830, there was only one person at the desk, and a line. While waiting, I heard others complain about the poor condition of their rooms, and seemingly unjustified charges.

The location was very good, close to the central train station, but not too close; on a quiet side street, and not far from several canal boat tour options.

• Family Room

Expensive for 2 double beds in small room Rooms were not cleaned on either day until we arrived back in the evening and complained. On the second occasion still unclean at 9.30pm Even when cleaned dirty coffee cups left in situ for 2 days. WiFi not free - and slow Room a long walk from reception Breakfast very expensive - additional more than 80euros for family of 4 daily - plenty of alternative options around the hotel.

• Family Room

The beds were comfy and clean. I had stayed at this hotel way back in 1999 and 2007. Excellent location and a lovely property. Staff is very friendly and helpful in making reservations for any need.

• REN Room "Free Wifi"

The running of the restaurant. No one seemed to be in charge. Scrambled egg always dry. Granola tin always low. Chaos at coffee machine, untidy area and malfunction of machines. Would have expected gowns and slippers in the room as standard.

• Deluxe Room

Shower faucet was odd to fiqure out.

Did not have premium pay pre view movies. most channels were not in English. Was charged daily for mini bar when most items I didn't use. I asked the staff to replinish the mini bar with certain items and they removed everything charged me, then I had to buy it back. When I explained this when I checked out my bill was corrected without question... Thank you

• Family Room

I did not like how long it took to recieve things when we called to the front desk. The service for room service and even at the restaurant were slow.

I liked all the pictures and art work around the hotel. The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly.

• Deluxe Room

~We asked for manager to be aware of our concerns about the room but he did not contact us and when we checked out the person did not comment about our request to see manager

Room was exceptionally small for two people - had to step around suitcases on floor. Room was noisy - could hear street noise much of night. Breakfast over-priced - it ticks right boxes on paper but dining room was messy, and food did not taste that great i had scrambled egg with tomatoes. are you using cheap ingredients? pineapple was best breakfast items. not even any museli.

• Family Room

The room is feels empty and dated need refurbishment. Good space for packing plenty of empty area, even in bathroom. Door stopper in the bathroom need to be move so it have more space to go pass especially if you have lots of ppl. Also i hope the water preasure already been fixed.

Staff and the location is exceptional. Well trained staff good attitude and friendly. Location is very close to central station and easy to anywhere in amsterdam.

• Family Room

We had some noisy guests in the room next to ours who kept us awake from midnight to 2:00am. I tried ringing the night manager twice in 15 minutes but never any answer. Had to resort to ringing the room myself to ask them to be quiet or I would find the security staff / night manager personally. I was annoyed that at a 4 star hotel I had to resolve the matter myself, however, the hotel did compensate me the next morning when I recounted the incident to the manager she profusely and very genuinely apologised.

The location, the cleanliness and the mannerism of the staff

Confusing over the payment! Email on booking and personal contact with the hotel said before arrival, payment wasn’t taken until check out which wasn’t a pleasant surprise bill under my door!

Fabulous staff! Beautiful sized rooms! Nice quiet location! Pretty central for everything!

• Family Room

carpets very stained and room dirty near windows beds narrow very very busy and staff very rushed room not ready on check in - gave us a free drink in the bar but bar not open! waitress in restaurant really pushy for us to go on line and rate her - can't be bothered with that! Room not made up until 5pm! not enough milk for coffee in room

staff were friendly breakfast was good concierge very helpful restaurant good

• Club Room with Club Lounge Access "Free Wifi"

I requested prior to my arrival that the room will be prepared for my boyfriend's birthday but when we arrived, there was nothing, so that was pretty disappointing. Secondly, the breakfast that was served in the club lounge was poor, not like the restaurant downstairs.

• Deluxe Room

There was free internet in the hotel lounge and reception. As a result, we always saw groups of people gathered at reception surfing the internet. I found it a bit cheap the hotel was charging 10 euro a day to get internet in the room.

Good location, easy walking distance to train station.

• Deluxe Room

Our room was very small and the ceiling quite low.

Overall we enjoyed our stay very much. The rooms interior (furniture, bed etc.) was very good and of good quality.

• Deluxe Room

Restaurant could have had a bit more selection for food. You could do with double glazing on the windows as sometimes the night noise is quite loud.

Great location for the hotel, near the station and centre of town, and good value for money. Good size king bed. Shower also a good size.

• Deluxe Room

The rooms are spacious, clean and bright. The staff were extremely courteous and helpful. There is a very nice bar/lounge located on the main floor, which we enjoyed very much. The hotel is very well situated; just a short walk to loads of shops, pubs and restaurants.

• Deluxe Room

Room service very expensive. 2 cokes and 2 waters - 24 euros! Fish and chips Burger and chips 2 cokes 80 euros! (Plus 5 euro for the tray!?!?) Extremely expensive and food was dissapointing, that was the only down side. After paying 800 euro for 3 night stay.

Location was fantastic, staff friendly, room spotless.

• Family Room

We couldn’t check in until 5pm even though my friend was sick and needed to lie down. We were given a complimentary drink voucher while we waited which listed spirits as an option but the bartender refused to allow us to have any. The WiFi is not free and I don’t believe this was made clear. City tax not included in the price - a surprise bill was put under the door in our last day.

Beds are super comfy. Great location

• Family Room

For the price of the room I was abit disappointed to find out there was an additional charge for wifi.

Beds were very comfortable and location was excellent!

• Family Room

Family room given wasn’t as good as the last time Small bathroom and kept bumping my head on the wall due to an odd design Room was also quite far from reception had to use 2 lifts to get to it

Good location and comfortable

• Deluxe Room

It wasn't anything special for the price - I wish I'd booked a different hotel but went with a name I'd had used before. Were unaware of the €75 per night deposit, and the fact that this and the room rate and city tax were all charged to your card prior to check out regardless of how you were paying. Mini bar wasn't free as other visitors had posted.

Beds and the pillows were amazingly comfortable

• Deluxe Room

Staff at reception not able to answer all questìons. Not able to help with internet also i am still waiting for milk to my room. Toilet flush broke a temp repair made. Had to use lobby toilet first thing on morning not happy with this service was also locked out of room. Cases still in room. Not good booking out time was 12 we went back to room 11.30 and we could'nt get axis

Clean & central

• Deluxe Room

The view from the room but it can’t be helped

THE hotel was exceptionally clean and always smelt lovely the staff was very friendly and never had to wait long for assistance, the room was nice and the bed was very comfy. The location of the hotel was excellent also it’s one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in all in all.

• Deluxe Room

Room was abit on the small side for the two of us. Seemed to of packed quite a lot of furniture into it that isn’t needed.

A definitely 9/10 hotel most things where great

• Deluxe Room

Maby if I had won the postcode lottery while I was away from home my trip could of been better but this was not the case.

I really loved my visit to Amsterdam, the food, the people and the city met and exceeded my highest expectations. Using public transport was so easy and always relaxing, trams and trains never late - wish they could do that in the UK. My partner and I have already planed to return this year for a longer brake.

• Deluxe Room

That the fridge wasn’t on so we couldn’t keep any drinks that we bought in there to keep them cold. Also we weren’t informed beforehand that we would have to pay a city tax but it wasn’t too expensive

The bed was extremely comfy, such a good location and was such a bargain for money!

• Family Room

If there was a option to have some single beds in a big room I think that would be great

Staff was lovely made us feel welcome even tho we may not have been there usual type of customers room was excellent very clean and very spacious

• Deluxe Room

Some friends were charged 3 times for their rooms by mistake and the hotel could not do anything, they even locked them out of their rooms 3 times because they said they didnt pay even when they showed their bank apps changing twice!

• Deluxe Room

The bed was comfy. We have appreciated the bottle of prosecco for the special romantical gift . The localisation near the central station is perfect to discover the city.

• Family Room

Everything, staff in club lounge a credit very helpful and friendly we went on our annual girls trip and so far best hotel we have stayed in. We wish to return again

• Deluxe Room

Watch out for the mini bar as it’s automatic and charges you if you move ANYTHING. The reception however were understanding and removed any unused items that were charged accidentally. Also the WiFi is not free and should be.

Beds comfy, good food, great location in the city and easy access to most attractions

• Deluxe Room

-Wi-fi didn't work on my mine or my partner's devices, when I tried to purchase. They said they'd give it for free. I told them 'thanks, but it still doesn't work'. Mentioned it again at the lobby, and they insisted 'it should' work. Couldn't be bothered to waste any more time on it and decided to use my phone data instead. No big deal, we were out most of the time anyway.

-Location -Unobstrusive staff -Nice building

• Deluxe Room

Cost for breakfast, we didn't purchase it because we thought a bit steep when you can get a hearty cooked breakfast for approx 10 euros a short distance away.

The staff were very helpful, even explaining where things in the city were and showing on a map. Everyone was very friendly and made you feel at home, from the reception staff to cleaners and the concierge.

• Deluxe Room

We would have liked lounge access after we checked out as we had to wait a while for our ferry coach back but to be honest we didnt ask for this

Early check in, comfy bed, being able to store luggage, club lounge upgrade, mini bar, the birthday cake for my 40th was a lovely gesture!

• Deluxe Room

Everything was brilliant from the time we walked in the staff were so friendly and professional will defiantly be returning and recommending to everyone

• Deluxe Room

- For Wifi connection, you had to be a member of Marriott. But after registering, it was just not clear how to connect. It's just unacceptable for a 4-stars hotel. It should be free for guests, without any hassle! - There was no toilet brush. - It was noisy; the room was not good insulated. - The bathtub was from decades back, with a curtain. We are traveling a lot and we've not seen this for long time in 4-stars hotel. - The bed was pretty used. You rolled to the middle!

Location is perfect and the room is clean.

• Deluxe Room

Them charging me extra 3 Euro, also took 50 Euro out of my bank, I don’t know when the money is going back to my account, they also stated that the money should be back instantly in my account

My invoice was put under the door with 3 Euro extra charge which I was not happy about, I ask them why they said that it’s automatic charge me for Pringles that I did not use, I wonder how many people they r charging and did not realised

• Club Room with Club Lounge Access "Free Wifi"

Felt the breakfast in the restaurant was far superior to Club Room.

Hotel and staff were excellent but was surprised at the size of the Club Room. Stayed in Club room in India and the US and it was much more spacious. However saying that my family had an amazing time. Relaxing.

• Deluxe Room

The room was expensive for what it was. Your paying for the name of the hotel, not because your getting anything exceptional. For example the bed was only a double whereas in other high end hotels (Hilton for example) or hotels in the uk it would have been a king size . The mini bar charges you if you put something in there as contents are on sensors which is wrong . We got charged for drinks we never used as we moved items in there. This charge was removed at check out by staff however you shouldn’t be charged in error. It causes confusion. The shower was awful in respect of the attachment cable from the head to the shower. It was cheap and had twisted so it was a nightmare getting the shower to point actually into the shower not at a wall . Again , this is meant to be a 4 star hotel. You would expect this in a travel lodge or a cheap motel at a services ! The room was very noisy. I know this is expected sometimes in a hotel however the walls were paper thin. We could hear the lifts which were about 15 yards from our rooms opening, staff trolleys moving in the corridor. Again in my opinion is not what you expect when you are paying well over £300 for a room for two nights. The amount of complimentary tea in the room is poor. Again this may sound petty but if you don’t drink alcohol and want a hot drink before bed and again the morning you won’t have any as you only get two tea bags. Again for a high end hotel you just expect for more for your money. In my opinion I paid over £320 for two nights which with more research would have been better spent elsewhere. There was no wow factor making me want to rebook back or with any of their sister hotels.

We booked this hotel for my partners birthday. Staff were very friendly on check in and helpful with advice and maps of the city to get about. Prior to my trip I did contact the hotel to arrange wine in the room on our first night before our evening meal however maybe my request was lost in translation as it did not arrive for my requested time. I had to call for it to remind them which unfortunately spoilt the surprise for my partner. The staff were very polite and helpful and I could not fault them we we spoke and they did not charge us for the wine on check out which was a lovely gesture on their behalf. The location is literally 5-10 mins from central station and perfect for anyone who does not know the city as it is literally a short walk to get about. It is also spotlessly clean which is a must for any hotel your looking to book.

• Family Room

Reception is amazing-once you enter the lift, it looks like a school corridor and the room was way below standards, very cold.

Staff are really helpful

No such things :)

Bed wa extra comfly! Breakfast was excellent! Staff very kind! Location is top, all attractions are near! Public transport is near, at all can say this hotel is top, and will retrun again in future :) !

• Deluxe Room

Some staff were not very friendly. Some other guests were inebriated and disruptive - didn’t expect this in this standard of hotel

Room was clean and hotel was in great area for sightseeing and train station. Good that we could leave luggage after checkout

• Family Room

The day time staff were less helpful but still overall, nice

The two boys that worked on reception were lovely - they really made the effort to make sure we had a great experience! (I wish I remembered their names)

• Club Room with Club Lounge Access "Free Wifi"

Even Executive (Club) rooms are small, I had to pay extra for Superior Club room to have enough space for 2 people and 2 luggages. Ceiling in the room is extremely low, it makes you feel uncomfortable. The same story with the ceiling at Club lounge — it feels like you are inside a dungeon, claustrophobic. Although snacks and drinks are very nice. They allow in Club lounge people in gym outfit and outside clothes — like it is a railway station or fitness room, can't say definitely. No spa or sauna in the hotel.

Location is nice, right in the centre both close to Central Station and Dam square. For museums take a tram. Nice snacks and drinks at Club lounge.

• REN Room "Free Wifi"

The room was great and very comfortable.. Also the hotel is in a great location, close to the central station... The staff was very helpful and quickly rectified a little confusion on their part regarding the upgraded room we had originally booked

• Deluxe Room

The staff's attitudes, the service was always rushed and only seem to want the money. The hotel is extremely standard and 100% not five star!

The lobby bar was nice and calm

• Club Room with Club Lounge Access "Free Wifi"

I didn’t like the customer service and that no one tells you it’s 50 pound deposit per night until you got there and they speak so rudely when your questioning them on it also with the club lounge room you expect stuff in there more unless empty all the time

I loved the hotel it self was lovely and clean and a amazing layout

• Deluxe Room

Really helpful kind happy staff Smelt beautifully and extremely clean Perfect location with everything in walking distance but also quiet (slept really well)

• Deluxe Room

I spent 180€ for a night and to be a 5 starts hotel I was quite disappointed. There were no toothbrushes and no combs. To be honest I find it very weird calling the receptionist to have a couple of toothbrushes and a comb. I had to call twice for them and I have waited 20 minutes. In addition, they made us late to out appointment because of this. Furthermore, when we came in it was freezing. He air conditioning was on. Not the heather, the air con! There was no free water and the water from the shower was flooding everywhere in the bathroom. You can have a much better hotel for 180€. Will surely not come back.

• Deluxe Room

The fact a holding fee still gets held after youve paid. I thought the holding fee would be deducted from the original price. Other than that i was happy with the service

The setting of the hotel was very friendly and had a calm chilled setting to it. Even other guests were friendly which in some cases in other hotels other guests are not

• Deluxe Room

I wouldnt really advertise this property as a 5 *. The carpet in the rooms are badly stained and smells musky. We requested to check in at 9am and it wasnt until we arrived they told us we couldnt check in until 3pm. They advertise parking but There is nothing to show they charge 60 euros a day. The wifi is also 10 euros a day so we ended up having to pay an extra 100 euros for a package that included free wifi and early check in and other stuff that we didnt really need and then we also had to pay an extra 120 euros to park so nearly 250euros we wernt especting to pay which we had to take out our spending money which put a big downer on our trip !

• Deluxe Room

The room I stayed was room934. It’s about 6/7mins walk from the reception!! I stayed 3 nights but no one clean the room. Be aware of the mini fridge bar because it’s automatically charge you if you touch the item! The room price is too high for its value. I booked and paid from Booking.com but when I arrived they said I have to pay again! So paid in different rate which is higher than online! Be aware!!

The location is good.

• Deluxe Room

Waiting in bar for an hour or so for service. Paid WiFi. Saw a table of clients wait almost 2 hours for food to arrive in bar area. No bar staff to take food order New Year Eve.

Friendly staff.

• Deluxe Room

Service wasn’t great. Kettle in room was disgusting and had bits floating in it. Had to ask 3 times to get this changed. Not enough milk/tea/coffee in the hotel rooms, once again had to keep asking to get this. When I complained about this at check out the lady was extremely apologetic and compensated us for our issues.

Hotel was beautiful extremely clean and the bed in our hotel room was so comfy! Got to have been one of the best beds I’ve slept in!

• Deluxe Room

For more than 500€ for one night, I was fairly disappointed. The room was clean but really small, the street noisy, the parking was a nightmare and the breakfast was pretty poor; Tatsless fruits, hard pancakes, overcooked scrambled eggs. Not impressed.

Very central

• Deluxe Room

Being put in adjoining rooms with a door where you could hear everything through it (really not nice hearing a couple ! when you're staying with your Mum in a twin room !) - why not save these for people that request them instead of strangers having to listen to each other.

Comfortable beds, spotlessly clean throughout. Re dislike below - staff very accommodating in moving us to another room

• Club Room with Club Lounge Access "Free Wifi"

Location of the hotel was less than 10 minute walk from Central Station. Staff at the venue were helpful, friendly and could not do enough for you. Arrived at the hotel at 10am and were allowed to check in to our room as the room was ready. Could not fault the hotel and would definitely stay here again.

• Club Room with Club Lounge Access "Free Wifi"

This was are third visit to this hotel in three years. Only thing was disapointing was mattress need replacement. And asked for same rooms as last years. This was not granted. And new management not as good.

• Family Room

The only negative would be the length it takes to get to the 900+ rooms!

Sarah on reception for check in and check out, friendly, kind, warm person, exactly what a hotel reception needs. Arranged a special birthday surprise for me also, thanks again Sarah! Room was very clean, beds very comfortable. Infused water and punch at reception/lobby are lovely little additions to add to a very pleasant stay. Would highly recommended this hotel. All staff we met during our stay were friendly and helpful!

• Deluxe Room

House keeping walk in in the morning unless you put the do not deserve sign on the door

The bed was wonderful and the room was clean and comfortable. It was close to most attractions and only 2 minutes from the train station

• Deluxe Room

I expected more from a 5 star hotel. It felt more like a 3 star hotel with paid wifi, average rooms and and AC system that felt ancient. The room was noisy as could hear people from the street below me. It wasn't an issue but definitely not for someone hoping for a quiet night.

Location was good.

• Deluxe Room

room assignment; customer services telephone always on voice ;

Room view was mediocre : Navigator assistance excellent: morning reception desk officer at 4 am par excellence; restaurant ok ok ! Good hotel

• Deluxe Room

ooms are way to small and doesnt value the price you paying. next time we'll choose other hotel for sure

breakfast was perfect, no doubt,, Lounge room perfect! ...and stuff was very kind

Browse Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel traveller photo gallery