Reviews of Hotel & Restaurant De Fortuna 3 stars

Spuistraat 3, 1135 AV Edam, Netherlands

#2 of 5 hotels in Edam

Loved our time at Hotel De Fortuna!
    • Double Room with Bath

Loved our time at Hotel De Fortuna! I stayed here for a week in August 2018 with two of my kids, both age 8. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The restaurant served excellent local food (and a respectable variety of wine). The breakfasts were simple and delicious (with Edam cheese, of course). And the rooms were comfortable. The hotel was a welcome place to settle in each night after exploring Edam and the surrounding areas by day. Bonus: the hotel is adorable; picturesque and ideally located in town.

Everything.

Not one thing!!!

Everything. Every small detail for a traveling guest is addressed. The refrigerator, wine glasses, safe, hooks, shelves, toiletries, chocolate...etc. This hotel has it all including a fabulous breakfast, flowers, top location and a view that does not quit.

This is simply a great place to dine and to stay.
    • Junior Suite with Canal View

For us, it's pretty much perfect!

The food is superb and reasonably priced, the rooms are comfortable in an old-fashioned way, the staff are pleasant, attentive and helpful and the setting, especially on a summer evening, is sublime.

Very comfortable and full of character

We loved the place - it is quite quirky though, and in the centre of a tourist village, so if you are expecting an ultra-modern room and to park right outside this may not be for you. We parked in a nearby car park with no problems (ideally bring a parking disc though, or get one from the tourist office!)

A lovely, characterful, place to stay in a beautiful village. The owner takes great pride in making sure everything is satisfactory and everyone is happy (which they seemed to be when we were there). The garden, with outside tables, including designated ones for guests, was particularly lovely. The food and bar were excellent.

I loved this place.

Really nothing

Edam is great. Comfortable and slow paced. This hotel fits it well. Rambling lay out right next to a main canal. Breakfast was good. Family room was comfortable. Restaurant was very good as well.

Memorable. hope we can go again.

Nothing -it was perfect!

We had a very good room, a Junior Suite with canal view, and it was the most lovely view, with table and chairs on a canalside patio. Welome was great and both dinner and breakfast excellent.

This was a fancy choice for us, three hours for dinner.
    • Double Room with Bath

Smokers in garden area after hours

Lovely in every way. Flowers and egg cooking are our best memories. Very fancy dinner with plenty of raw beef to talk about.

Absolute beautiful surrounding and comfortable, feels like home!
    • Double Room with Shower

Overall I haven’t found anything that I dislike yet.

The location is right in the Center of Edam, and have very good view, excellent spot. Beautiful decorated hotel, garden and restaurant. I like where there’s river behind the property which is quiet and beautiful. I’m having a good time enjoying the beauty of nature and reading books there.

This stay was perfection!
    • Quadruple Room

This was our favorite stay in the Netherlands. The property is beautiful and the city is delightful. We loved breakfast and the hotel staff were very pleasant. It was very easy to travel to Marken where we spent the day hiking and picnicking.

Very enjoyable hotel and delightful town in a quiet, peaceful setting.
    • Double Room with Shower

Room is nice but has a stale smell when you enter so you will need to open the windows and doors to aerate. There are no screens so gnats may get in. Bring bug spray. No AC but it gets cool at night.

Hotel is 5 to 10 minute walk from bus station. Room 26 had a good view of the canal and on ground level. Chairs and a table outside to sit and enjoy peaceful setting. Friendly staff, decent continental breakfast.

Helpful staff with saving on parking.
    • Junior Suite with Canal View

After waiting 1/2 hr for waitress to pay bill for diner, I decided to not wait anymore. Got up a payed at bar.

Helpful staff with saving on parking.

A quiet rural retreat in a delightful Hotel well away from the busy city of Amsterdam.
    • Double Room with Bath

Ideally situated beside a canal in a quiet Waterland town, within easy walking distance of the bus station. Restaurant meals are excellent, either inside or on the terrace. Amsterdam is about half an hour away by bus or car, whilst a 10€ ticket can be used all day on the Waterland buses.

Perfect pleace in Edam

nothing. It was perfect!

Imagine a perfect pleace... Yes, the adress of this pleace is la fortuna, In Edam! All the people of the staff were extremly attentive, kind, gentle, the room was very charming, decorated in an antique style and there were plenty of shampoos and body creams on the bathroom of very good quality. There were also some chocolates in the room, to give a special and delicate touch to the atmosphere. In the hotel there is also a restaurant that is VERY good and awarded. It was the best stay among the 15 hotels that we have experienced in our trip! Ahh, and the breakfast! OMG, they thougth about every little detail, it was delicious and had lots of options of breads, cheese, ham, tartines, jams, etc....

We LOVED it!

This is an incredibly atmospheric, cozy and beautiful hotel in a wonderfully old and well-preserved small town. The hotel’s food — both breakfast and dinner — was fantastic, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. A visit here is a great way to get a feel of The Netherlands. We stayed at the hotel in 1998 and have wanted to return ever since. We were not disappointed with this 2018 return visit...and hope to visit again.

We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel to friends.
    • Double Room with Bath

We would have liked to try the restaurant, but the menu was limited and not to our liking. The offerings were heavy on meat and we would have preferred lighter fare. The restaurant looked lovely, but the menu did not change and the "catch of the day" was never specified.

The location was ideal and the hotel and grounds are picturesque. The bed was really comfortable and the room was very clean. The included breakfast was varied, healthy, and abundant. Parking was free and very close by.

The property is friendly
    • Double Room with Shower

I check in late at the night and the property didn't ask for payment, I thought it was charged by my credit already, this cause a lot of trouble for me to pay from Swiss when home, I have to say something during my stay. 1. the TV controller is not working, probably the battery exhausted 2. The blanket is not clean, my skin itchy when sleeping 3. Heating is not working, the room is quite small that the door cannot open fully 4. the breakfast is poor compare to hotel in this price

The property is friendly

One of the few places I want to RETURN to...

Not answered - there is NOTHING I didn't like about this place..l

"De Fortuna" in Edam is a place everyone should experience. I visited Edam 35 years ago and I went back with my wife to get a second confirmation of my first experience back in the mid-80's. I picked "De Fortuna" from photos and it's location and was really SATISFIED. In buildings from the 16-century we had a nice room, enjoyed a Michelin-recommended kitchen and not at least a very cosy restaurant that more than exceeded our expectations. We had no need to go elsewhere - we dined at "De Fortuna Restaurant" for 4 nights... Even in April, when the temperature outdoor was around 5-10 °C, the hotel cleaned up the garden EVERY DAY, wiping tables, putting out chairs, ashtrays and swept the tiles in the ground. I am still dreaming of returning back here when the temperature shows summertime and 20+°C. The channel-side garden would be so, so, so perfect to relax and enjoy a beer during the the hot season. The staff at the hotel, the room-cleaning persons we met every morning and everybody in the restaurant, breakfast and dinnertime, should have some kind of reward - we felt welcome and appreciated every hour of our stay. We stayed for 5 days, 4 nights during Easter of 2018. One of my very best recommendations, world wide..!

A joy to be back here! After 10 years it is as delightful as ever.
    • Double Room with Shower

Dinner service was patchy, sometimes excellent, sometimes slow; sometimes repeated requests for a carafe of water were needed.

Wonderful location, bright, comfortable room overlooking a quiet canal. Generous continental breakfast. Excellent dinners.

A great location in the town centre and within easy reach of the main cycle routes of north Holland.
    • Double Room with Shower

People smoking beneath our room's window.

The restaurant was of a high standard even if the service was a little slow. The hotel was in a lovely position by the canal and despite one noisy goose was surprisingly quiet.

Great get away. l
    • Double Room with Bath

Our room was very very small. Hard to get around and only one side of bed was acessaable without crawling over. We were offered a larger room if we would wait until late in the afternoon but we awerr tired. So when you make reservations ask for a larger room. This hotel is in the middle of lovely Edam. Great walking along the streets and canals. Quaint town

Restaurant was very nice and grounds along a canal were delightful

Lovely

A perfect springboard for a trip in North Holland. We brought our 5 year old and his bike and we had a blast. The facilities and staff were welcoming and thoughtful. Food at Fortuna was the only hard part for him. With little ones, I would consider dining out of the hotel.

Very pleasant stay in a comfortable family run hotel restaurant with bags of character.
    • Junior Suite with Canal View

Beds could be more comfortable and fittings were rather dated. Tap in sink stiff to operate. Room had mini bar fridge but with nothing in.

Beautiful location in a very picturesque part of Edam. Excellent restaurant with fine Dinner menu and good breakfast selection. Accommodation in a lovely spot with tranquil setting and picturesque views.

A lovely Hotel and restaurant in the quaint and very beautiful village of Edam.
    • Double Room with Shower

Karin was amazing and went to extra lengths to accomodate all our wishes. The food in the restaurant was delicious and the wine selection they had was very good. Fortuna was our home away from home during a tough time for our family. Thank you

When in edam, stay at Fortuna "
    • Double Room with Shower

For some reason I couldn't get their wifi to work. I had to connect through my phone.

I booked the Fortuna last minute. I arrived very late and as I walked up to the door I lucked out that the staff was still up and running. Somehow my reservation had not gotten through to them yet. I knocked on the door, they let me in and despite my room reservation not being on the top of their mind, without question they walked me right to a courtyard with a room, turned on the heat, and wished me goodnight. The next morning I had the best seat in the house for a terrific breakfast! The Fortuna is based in a quaint and incredible place in edam. I wish I could have stayed much longer!

Great place to sleep at Edam

The room was small, we needed to move stuff to allow place for our bags. The restaurant was just OK. We took variations on the suggested menus, they were just OK, even for the local food, if you dine there take in account that the default is a slow pace dinner, more than 2 hours, with long time between dishes.

Our room was by the garden, and sitting in the garden, just watching the ducks and landscape in the morning is enough to stay there (note it's not a private garden, you just can get out there from some rooms). . Quality of sleeping, the mattress was firm and smooth as if new.

We will be back to stay everytime we are near Edam.
    • Double Room with Shower

If a guest has difficulty with stairs ask for a ground floor room. The stairwell and climb was not the easiest.

Our bedroom/barhroom was a little cramped in size, but that did not diminish our overall pleasure. The location is beautiful, quiet, and entirely peaceful although located nearly in the center of Edam. The ownership family were most pleasant and welcoming. Security for our bicycles was excellent.

Very enjoyable stay at this hotel! Happy to return.
    • Double Room with Bath

The location could not be better, despite busy summer holiday season, it was very quiet (so was Edam as well). I visited with my bike and the hotel owner was very accommodating. Perfect for a get-away to cycle around and enjoy the countryside. Will happily return on my next visit to Edam.

Great stay! Gorgeous place! Loved it!
    • Quadruple Room

It was literally one of the best stays we had! Great location and gorgeous building! The staff really nice and the room, though some may say 'small', but I'd say 'fun-size' and we really felt great in it. Breakfast and dinner of really great quality. Close to the city (we had many marvellous walks) and the city is very very beautiful itself! We really recomend that hotel, for while coming into the building we though we were stepping into a fairy-tale, or a movie! Loved it!

Charming, quaint and beautiful at a fair price.
    • Double Room with Shower

Room was Euro-small but we prefer location and charm to size, sterility and sameness.

What a great little place in a beautiful town. Staff interaction was with one brother/owner who was busy but efficient. Breakfast was superb as was the restaurant at the property. Go to Edam, you'll love it and this hotel is charming. Restaurant cuisine was fantastic, pace of dining was very slow, but why would you be in a rush here? Slow down and enjoy this place! We rented bikes and rode to the coast and through towns and countryside. Bike rental right around the corner and the ride easy and spectacular.

Wonderful location in a quaint Dutch village only 30 min from Amsterdam Centre
    • Double Room with Bath

Breakfast disappointing: rather basic and too crowded

Most charming location in a most charming village. Close to Amsterdam by public transportation. Nice yard to sit outside and enjoy an excellent rosé wine

Great place to stay in Edam.
    • Double Room with Bath

Room was a little cramped, though mainly because there was a lot of furniture.

Very good buffet breakfast. Two entrances to our room: one from inside the hotel and one leading directly outside and into the hotel garden. Parking permit so we could put our car in the nearby car park for free.. Excellent restaurant. Interesting building with timber beams and posts very visible on the ground floor. Peaceful location close to Edam centre and restaurants. Sort and easy drive to the main road.

İt is a place to see

There was nothing.

Edam is a very beatiful place. I felt as if in a fascinating tableaux. Environment is quite and comforting . Particularly cheeses are delicious. We enjoyed tasting them.

Nice first stop on my trip to Norway!
    • Double Room with Bath

The hostess, Inga, was helpful, warm and friendly! The room was roomy and comfortable. The deck outside the sliding door of the room had beautiful views!

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Bad service & beds in a fairytale location...
    • Double Room with Shower

The service. At lunch,the staff was rather slow, even though the dining area was half empty. It was very windy that day and some ladies at a table next to us had their wine glass fell off the table, so it broke. The waitress didn't even help them with cleaning it up or taking away the shards. At breakfast, the owner was in charge of giving coffee to the guests, but he didn't come to our table even though he served literally everybody else around us. I had to ask a very kind gentleman with no knowledge of English, who was very helpful and took me straight to the kitchen where he poured a fresh kettle of coffee for me. The beds were really bad. We wanted a double bedroom, but the beds were just two single ones put together. There was a very uncomfortable gap in between, so if you're traveling with a partner, either sleep on just one bed, or forget to cuddle during your stay. Very disappointing. The breakfast was very humble. Our "house" was facing the outside dining area, our windows straight in front of the tables. It was rather uncomfortable to change clothes in our room. Be prepared to hear your neighbors taking shower and stuff...

The location is just fantastic,just like a fairytale.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

The external environment beautiful, room very disappointing
    • Double Room with Shower

The room was very small the bathroom was smaller, the refrigerator in the room wasn't working before we arrived at the manager knew that they didn't replace it or have it repaired. We were in a room upstairs and outside at the back and we were told if we want milk for tea and coffee or a cold drink to come down to the bar when I went down to the bar for milk they said because the refrigerator wasn't working they put powered milk in with the tea and coffee it was coffee whitener when I said I wanted it for tea the staff after a discussion about milk did give 2 small long life milks not happy

The external environment and the location

• Quadruple Room

Our booking was more about the accommodation than anything else and sadly, we were quite disappointed. The room was very small to accommodate three people, let alone four. We could hear the toilet and bathroom being used next door, as well as the other guests talking. It would have been nice to have had a warm room to walk into rather than wait for the heater to kick in after we arrived. The shower temperature constantly changed from hot to cold and afterwards we had to get changed in the room as there wasn't enough space in the actual bathroom.

The location was convenient, set in a lovely, quaint village. The breakfast was well catered.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

A great hotel. Responsive staff.
    • Double Room with Shower

Thank you for the excellent attitude. And the great dinner in the hotel restaurant. The hotel is very good for romantic holidays. Channels and small streets of Edam creates a very good atmosphere. Breakfast was excellent. And the staff very friendly. The rooms are clean and pleasant. My advice to all the hotel.

Comfortable
    • Double Room with Shower

Very pretty main part of the hotel, the restaurant was very nice with good food. Room that we stayed in could do with updating, having said that it was a reasonable price..

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

A lovely little hotel in an historic and scenic town.
    • Double Room with Shower

The location was excellent in the old town of Edam directly next to the canal. It was within walking distance of the bus terminal which we used to go into Amsterdam for a day.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

Fab place to stay and quiet

The fish in the pond outside looked very sad pond could have more lillies and be deeper - personal opinion

Very accommodating and helpful great location beautiful hotel fabulous deco in the main restaurant loved all the old paintings and quirkiness of the place

Wonderful stay
    • Double Room with Shower

The hotel room is facing pretty canal with ducks. We enjoyed the peaceful view very much. Dinner at the restaurant was also good.

Great staff, great view from room, great food.
    • Double Room with Shower

Great staff, great view from room, great food. Excellent value for money.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Lovely atmosphere inside the restaurant.
    • Double Room with Shower

Nothing really except that it could be noisy in the evenings in the courtyard.

Lovely atmosphere inside the restaurant.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Charming, picturesque
    • Double Room with Shower

WiFi almost nonexistent in room and slow, fragile in lobby/reception.

Pleasant staff, nice restaurant, charming decor.

Excellent location, very relaxing place.
    • Double Room with Shower

Excellent location, very relaxing place.

Awesome location, rooms are a little outdated
    • Double Room with Shower

Bathroom was a small, mattress on the bed wasn't of the best quality.

Very friendly staff and a very exclusive location

Magic and pleasant
    • Double Room with Shower

Dont know really if anything

Excellent building plenty of history and “family business” look

Nice stay, would go again
    • Double Room with Shower

room was smaller than expected, had diarrhea after breakfast, parking 200 metres away

cosy place with nice chanel few, good atmosphere

Just perfect
    • Double Room with Shower

Beautiful location and as pretty as a picture. Informed and helpful staff. Great breakfast. Cosy, cute room

• Double Room with Bath

the hotel was charming, very romantic. the breakfast was very good, the staff was very friendly.

Stunning location excellent breakfast also stayed for an...

Everything was excellent

Stunning location excellent breakfast also stayed for an evening meal which was amazing def recommended to try!!!

The stairs to our room were unsafe!
    • Double Room with Shower

The stairs to our room were unsafe!!!!!!

Garden was a delightful place to enjoy the morning and...
    • Double Room with Bath

Too much furniture in a small room

Garden was a delightful place to enjoy the morning and evenings. Charming facility

Great little inn

Sink in the room.

Great location and Resteraunt. Small room in a little house. Very cute but tight quarters.

Very cozy, nicely located, personnel very friendly. Good value

Very cozy, nicely located, personnel very friendly.

Little gem
    • Double Room with Shower

Perfect location for seeing lots of sights staff very helpful and friendly

Good staff , and clean.
    • Double Room with Shower

Service very slow at dinner, two hours wait for main course.

Good staff , and clean.good location

Using 'quaint' to get away with dated and tacky

'Double' room was 2 single beds. VERY dated

Exterior and restaurant

beautiful hotel and location

the hotel and the locatio are very excellent.. we have enjoyed our stay

Quaint guest house in delightful town of Edam.
    • Double Room with Shower

Quaint guest house in delightful town of Edam. The hosts were very accommodating and helpful. Great breakfast spread. A lovely spot to stay.

Brilliant. The food was excelkent
    • Double Room with Shower

Perfect and authentically Dutch in every way. Acht gezalag.

Very nice and quiet place

Bed

Location; Staff; Breakfast.

Great stay. very nice location.
    • Double Room with Shower

Very nice location in the beautiful little town of Edam. Rooms are small but so are all the little houses in Edam. :)

De ligging

the charm of the hotel, plus the good restaurant
    • Double Room with Bath

no private parking area, but big parking not far away

the charm of the hotel, plus the good restaurant

The four of us had a great time in Edam at this hotel.
    • Double Room with Bath

would have preferred fitted sheets for the bed.

Everything about this little gem...location, helpful manager, breakfast, gardens, views.

Lovely location and ambience.
    • Double Room with Shower

Lovely location and ambience. Very very pretty with lots of gardens, outdoor seating by the water.

A place like a painting
    • Double Room with Shower

Every thing was so nice & comforting.

View from window is wonderful. The whole envirenment is exceptionally nice.

Wonderful place

Everything was excellent

The best place

The best hotel

It cannot get any more Dutch than this...
    • Double Room with Shower

Small room. Very small bathroom.

Very nice Dutch hotel in a very nice Dutch environment. Friendly staff.

Lovely, romantic cottage in a typical Dutch village
    • Double Room with Shower

It was warm in the room. I wish I had a fan at least

The location and the authenticity of the hotel.

Great Family Place to Stay - Absolutely Perfect!
    • Quadruple Room

Location and quaintness of property.

Good hotel with great breakfast
    • Double Room with Shower

Very picturesque hotel made up of a small group of some small houses. Very pleasant and helpful staff Good breakfast

Lovely old hotel,nicely furnished,very helpful staff
    • Double Room with Bath

Lovely outside area to eat next to canal

Browse Hotel & Restaurant De Fortuna traveller photo gallery