Reviews of Hotel Sint Nicolaas 3 stars

Spuistraat 1a, Amsterdam City Centre, 1012 SP Amsterdam, Netherlands

#115 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

Nothing - no complaints at all!!

The Hotel Location, just 2 mins from central station, so easy from airport. Room perfect, nice view, big bathroom, perfect for our stay. Staff fantastic, from the moment we arrived to when we left. It was my birthday during our stay and the staff decorated our room and left us gifts as well., so kind and thoughtful. Breakfast very good, the Hotel and room fully met our expectations.

Uncontrollable factors: only cool, fresh air is via open windows which meant street noise (which only paused in the wee hours) woke us up.

Hugs comfortable bed in a cozy room. Friendly helpful staff at the classy reception - bar - restaurant: we arrived at 5:50am and were welcomed with coffees and small pastries while we stored luggage prior to check in. Very accommodating hotel with smart design and close to everything.

The room was lovely! Great bed and loved being able to open up the large windows by the sitting area. The location near the train station was perfect! We would highly recommend staying here.

There were no shortcomings

Very good hotel for this money! Excellent location, good for any tourists. A lot of bike rents, restaurants around and very close to train station. 5minutes to one hand to Red lights channel. 5minutes to other hand - very silent district Jorden.

It was unseasonably hot when we were in Amsterdam. No air conditioning was a disappointment, however realize the building is old and much of the city has no air conditioning. The staff did supply us with fans.

Staff was excellent and helpful regarding assisting with restaurant recommendations and public transportation. Breakfast was awesome!!!

The decor in room was a tad dated. The bathroom door stuck, the coat hanger came off the wall. It was just a tiny bit dated but still very comfortable.

Great location - perfectly placed to walk the city.

Good location relative to the train station but a bit far to walk from areas we visited in the city. Breakfast was great, room was nice, clean and comfortable. We should have gotten the transportation pass when we arrived. Staff directed us to "touristy areas", Dam Square, etc. and could have been a bit more knowledgeable regarding restaurants, etc.. We figured it out on our own.

• Double Room - Street Side - Ground Floor

It was very expensive and not very clean. There was a huge crack in the vanity sink, the shelf in the shower was broken & apart from making the bed you wouldn't know anyone had been in to clean the room each day. There was a thick layer of dust behind the bathroom door that looked like it had been there for months. Terrible value for money.

• Double Room - Street Side - Ground Floor

Our room on ground floor so had to have curtains drawn closed all the time leaving the room in poor light, even in daytime because people outside might peek through our window.

Bedroom ok, bathroom good, breakfast good but egg yellow a bit hard

• Small Double Room

Bathroom complimentaries are substandard for the quality of the hotel. It would have been better to provide no complimentaries or provide higher quality.

Large bed without a premium price and spacious rooms.

• Standard Triple Room

The hotel was right next to Central Station and near all of the major attractions. There are various bike rental companies nearby which is extremely handy if you are looking to hire a bike for the day and trams are also a short walking distance away. The beds were extremely comfortable too and all staff were extremely friendly and let us store our luggage for the entire day without any issues.

My room was a bit dusty. There was nowhere to hang your towel in the tiny bathroom. One window didn’t shut completely so there was quite a bit of traffic noise.

There was cold water with mint at the reception and a bowl of fruit; that was a nice touch. The location is fantastic.

On one occasion there was no table ready for breakfast and space seemed quite tight.

I was visiting with both my daughters to celebrate one of their 21st birthdays. The room had been decorated with balloons which was very thoughtful. We were also provided with three can cruise tickets and complimentary Prosecco. The location was superb,beds very comfortable, breakfast excellent and loved the roaring fire! Thank you

• Small Double Room

Excellent bed, exactly what you need after a long day! Perfect location, 5min from the central railway station and short walking distance to the main attractions. Breakfast is diverse and has a home-like vibe.

Lighting in room either too bright or too poor. Nothing in between. Radiatior in room behind very heavy long curtains so heat could not get through to room effectively. Not always enough available tables for breakfast as hotel was full. A percentage of my bill had already been debited a few days before my arrival. On arrival to hotel I was asked to pay the full amount and was assured that the first amount was merely a 'hold'. But the debit had already gone through on my account before I had left my home country. A 'hold' should merely be a holding of credit card details and not a withdrawal from my account that may or may not be refunded. I only paid the amount still owed so it was okay but a very unclear system.

Location was excellent. Breakfast was delicious. Bed very comfy. Shower very powerful. Small and cosy hotel.

• Standard Triple Room

It was pricey, but I found that to be so everywhere in Amsterdam!

Room was lovely! Best breakfast ever! Good location, just two minutes walk to the Central train station. Lots of shops, good restaurants and a grocery store nearby!

Room was not the same as the images shown on booking.com Personally would not have paid what I had for the room if I knew it would not be like the one shown If it were not for the friendly staff and fantastic location I may have made a claim against booking.com for misleading information

Friendly staff Good breakfast selection Fantastic location

• Quadruple Room

Parking location was round the corner, however, to get there it took me almost half-hour due to road repairs around teh hotel...

Location of the hotel is great. Room was spacious enough for a family of 4 (2 kids). Breakfast was also nice without major complaints.

• Double Room - Street Side - Ground Floor

We did not particularly like being on the ground floor and having people being able to peek into the room when we had the curtains open. Insonorisation could be improved. Being right in the center of town there was a lot of traffic and was relatively noisy in the room.

Nice breakfast and very pleasant personnel. We were offered coffee on arrival despite only being able to check in later in the day & also once we had checked out and called by to drop some more stuff off at the hotel. Very practical to be able to leave our luggage at the hotel before check-in & after check-out. Location is great near all that has to be seen & only 5 minutes walk from the Central station.

not perfect noise isolation small rooms

location confortable bed i got quite room as requested design breakfast accessories provided by the reception fast wi-fi

These were super cold days, the room was cold when we arrived and took a while to heat. Once the heating was on the room became warmer but we couldnt crack a window as it was very cold outside so lacked some ventilation. The bath room lacked heating, would lived to have a heater day and spend some time in the tub.

The staff were really nice. Lovely boutique atmosphere. Super comfortable bed. Very clean and accommodating.loved the reception room and the fireplace. Great place to stay for a few nights in town.

I have past this hotel before on previous visits, now it is likely to be the only place I stay. A central location, amenities on the doorstep, friendly and helpful staff with very comfortable rooms.

when we arrived in the room heating was off and it was extremely cold (outside it was around 0 degrees). We managed to bring the temperature in the bedroom to a reasonable level, but the bathroom never got warm. even with the heating at its maximum. Also, the bathroom does not have opaque courtains, this is a bit annoying when you want to shower and need the lights on... Last point: the evacuation of water in the shower is bad, so impossible to take long warm showers if you want want to flood the full bathroom...

good breakfast, friendly staff, great location, nice spacious room, we were there for my partner's birthday, we had baloons in the room and a happybirthday note on the bed.

A friendly welcome and our room was ready early which was excellent. The room was clean and spacious and a lovely design. Breakfast was very good each morning.

Street noise. Strange placement of the bed. The head side was like ínside a hole in the wall. You could bang the head against the wall if not careful.

Ubicación.

• Small Double Room

That we were charged 5 Euro For welcome drinks we had to make ourselves ... also lack of lighting/window in rooms, dark.

The welcome at check in was good and real fire and sofas on reception area.. location fantastic next to station for work travel..

Even though we had specified having a quiet room, it was extremely noisy - we heard loud traffic and sirens and people noise all night long. The breakfast though copious was very poor quality . The room smelled of cheap air freshener.

• Double Room - Street Side - Ground Floor

Bread was a little stale

The hotel is beautifully presented, the bed was incredibly comfortable and the breakfast was delicious. Staff were incredibly friendzand accommodating. I would not hesitate to book this hotel again.

The breakfast wasn't the greatest and they didn't have a huge selection of drinks at the bar but it is a small hotel which was part of the appeal

Great location, really comfy beds, very helpful and friendly staff, cosy and relaxed reception

• Double Room - Street Side - Ground Floor

Location was perfect. There is a lot of traffic outside, but I didn’t find that disturbing, practically didn’t notice it. Interior was very nice. Good beds!

My break came to an end :(

Superb location really close to Amsterdam Central. Staff are really friendly and helpful. Clean and tastefully decorated hotel throughout and also very comfortable beds and pillows.

Nothing it was brilliant

We went for the weekend and found the staff and room brilliant, the room was lovely and cosy, the black out blind worked a treat, 10/10

I have nothing to complain about.

The hotel is in a excellent location. The room was very clean. the beds were very comfortable. The breakfast was great. I honestly have nothing bad to say about this place. I would come and stay again.

No where to have a smoke (it is Amsterdam after all). Maybe open up the roof top.

Superb hotel, the best 3 star I’ve ever stayed in it’s just as good as top 4 star hotels. Plus all the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Shelves in the closet a bit too high, some more shelves in tha bathroom would be helpful, some more English/German tv programs. But overall not a lot to complain about.

Greay location, comfy beds, free water bottle per person every day, delicious (freash and warm) breakfast, super friendly staff and speaking fluent English. Spacious room (triple). Could leave our suitcases at hotel due to earlier arrival and late departure.

At first I was given a very tight and uncomfortable room, completely out of my expectations and different from those on the hotel's website. Fortunately, after listening to my complaints, the hotel staff was able to pick up another room, much more comfortable (great thanks for this). I do not know what I would do, if there were no available rooms, I would probably have to change the hotel.

Hotel itself is cozy and nice. The undoubted advantage is the heating in the room and possibility to adjust the temperature. It was very important for me because I'm usually freezing everywhere in Netherlands. The hotel staff is very responsive and friendly. The breakfast is fairly monotonous but tasty, especially when you're sitting at the fireplace and enjoy the atmosphere.

keep it as is

The place is cozy, relaxing, clean, close to train station (5 mins walking), good for business and leisure. I especially loved the fireplace. Personnel was great. Will definitely be back again next work trip.

The bed was not comfortable at all and the hotel was somewhat noisy during the night.

Friendly staff and very good location -- the hotel is at walking distance from the Amsterdam Central Station. I liked it because it has a tram station nearby with lines that connect the hotel with some of the most important places in the city: Dam Square, Rembrandplein, Leidseplein, and Amsterdam Zuid.

Although there was one night in the hotel, the hotel was clean, cozy and very close to the center. In the morning I went down for breakfast, but there was still no coffee in the machine, and then one of the staff made me some hot coffee in the kitchen. It was really nice and pleasant It's the kind of little thing that turns a hotel into something good. The staff was courteous and very nice

I had a room between group of tourists, noisy all the nights. I asked employees to do something; nothing changed. Finally, I had to make the police on my own...but also to pay the night for this nightmare. I asked at the end to be contacted by the management. Nothing...

Not much, if any.

Cute old-styled room, but with modern touch. Spacious bathroom, with heated towel rack we can use to dry up some clothing from the continuous rain of Amsterdam. They were willing to check us in early, subject to availability of course. Proximity to Amsterdam Centraal and Tram stops. Proximity to various stores and restaurants. Good enough variety for breakfast. Decent price. Very unique reception desk which doubles as bar cashier. Building is really nice and uniquely located too. Great stay!

The room needs insulation. I could hear people footsteps passing by. Also, at the time of booking I booked two rooms, I had no idea one was different from other. It would have been helpful if I knew it.

Very close to Centraal Station, very comfy beds and a nice cosy room overall, very nice breakfast buffet with lovely food and tea and the staff was really nice and helpful

Quite friendly hotel in center of Amsterdam, nice warm foyer with open fireplace. Clean rooms with tablets to surf web. Good selection for breakfast including bacon and eggs. Courteous staff always smiling and ready to assist.

The bath towels were very small & the coffee machine was broken.

The bed was huge & comfy. It was lovely to be able to adjust the heating ourselves.

Nothing really. I stayed in this hotel on two occasions because I liked it straight away when I arrived and checked into my room. I found the staff very helpful and pleasant both times I stayed.

A good selection of food at breakfast, very comfortable rooms with attractive décor, a nice welcoming reception area with a lovely fire, very friendly staff.

The rooms were fairly warm in the night but I opened the window and that was fine--I rather like the noise of the trams. The hairdryer was old fashioned-- perhaps have one you can use outside the bathroom?

Really excellent customer service from the staff. Very friendly atmosphere. The hotel really exceeded my expectations! Will definitely stay again as it's much nicer than a lot of other 4 and 5 star hotels in Amsterdam. I have already recommended to friends coming next year!

the best 3 star hotel i ever been i was visiting Amesterdam for one day and i wanted a hotel near the train station and i am glad i have choosed this hotel .just 10 mins walk from the train station .its a nice small boutique hotel just ignore the reception/bar all in 1 , u will be greated very freindly staff. and the room is amazing with nice wooden decor big enough very comfy bed and pillows ..really loved everything in this hotel .

• Double Room - Street Side - Ground Floor

Can be a little loud the street noise, we stay on the first floor and after midnight is less noisy.

Great location!! The breakfast is excellent, very spacious bathrooms!!

Wasn't an issue for me but due to hotel being in centre of Amsterdam it can be noisy outside so if you like peace and quiet for sleeping then not the place for you Double glazing in room did help but you still could hear it but as I said not an issue for me or partner as we slept like logs during our stay

The room was a great size Bed was really comfy - had a great sleep Bathroom was a brilliant size with a double shower Location was excellent - easily accessible to get around Amsterdam and 2 mins from Central Station

Breakfast could have been better, there were limited choices and if eating later the food tended to run out. The light switches in the room were also a little bit confusing!

Lovely room in a great location.

when I check out and having my breakfast, I took only croissant and tea, cause most of the buffet was pretty much empty, maybe I was too last minute and they didn't replenish the buffet and I can understand, but I didn't really like to see that all the tables was not clean and dirty plates all over the tables, it's maybe the only bad comment I can said. Thanks

the bed was very confortable

• Double Room - Street Side - Ground Floor

The lower ground rooms are awful, noisy and cold. I was charged for late check-out (30mn late) without mercy despite not delaying any cleaning / other guests. When check-out time is as early as 11am, I expect a tiny bit of tolerance - not here. Staff was generally unwelcoming so I could have expected such a check-out experience.

Location is fair, although excessively touristy. Decent wifi but "social" log-in.

I like the location , near the Station and with buses and trams to go everywhere . Also the room was clean and the bed was very confortable. The people working there was very kind and friendly!

Dirt and garbage under the bed including a full candy bar wrap.

The shower and bath were great, the water is very very hot which is awesome. The staff is very polite and friendly, always there to help with directions in the city or whatever help might be needed during the stay. The hotel is located near the main train station, so getting there from the airport is easy, cheap and fast. All the typical tourists' attractions are nearby, basically you can walk anywhere or rent a bike.

Hotel is on the pricey side but still recommend this given location and comfort of bed!!

This is a stunning hotel right in the heart of Amsterdam. Everything is in walking distance - restaurants, shopping, landmarks, main train station etc. The stand out of this hotel is the comfort of the bed! Probably the best bed I've slept in in any hotel. Room was large, great size bathroom. Had tea/coffee facilities, a fridge, cupboards and more. Hotel is wheelchair accessible however I didn't see any accessible bathrooms.

Price was high and NO AIR CONDITIONING. The room was hot as hell and humid. Open the window and there was tons of road noise. Don't book this hotel in the summer!!!!! I paid more for three days in this hotel then I did for five days in an air conditioned and nicer hotel in Antwerp.

This is a small but cute hotel.

Leaky shower wall causing wet bathroom floor, will hopefully be fixed. Breakfast was basic and ok but poorly organised in the lobby of the hotel. We had expected a higher standard of breakfast for this price range. Wifi required full Facebook or Google login and forced Facebook notification, which I find completely unnecessary. Wifi is part of the hotel service paid for.

Excellent location, very clean and comfortable rooms with good space. Very good beds.

Eventually worked out how to use the coffee machine in the room but it wasn't very good coffee

The location of the hotel is good and an easy walk from Central Station. Found a really good steak restaurant just round the corner but could be expensive for some.

The rooms were a bit small, could be bigger. found it expensive, but i think this is true for any property in Amsterdam, so overall the experience was great.

The staff was gerat, friendly and helpful. Made us feel comfertable and welcome. The breakfast was good. the bathrooms and rooms were clean and well furnished. The beds were very comfertable, got great sleep all nights.

Rooms are not air conditioned, few are in Amsterdam.

The location of this hotel, a few minutes walk from the station but also in between the shopping area and the red light district cannot be beaten. Canals everywhere, this is a very central hotel. Accomodation prices are high in Amsterdam, so this is not cheap, but it is hard to find better value for money. Nice bar, good breakfast buffet, fine wifi service.

• Double Room - Street Side - Ground Floor

Could not sleep in ground floor room due to very noisy trams running past all night - dont book ground floor room on the wide road side of the hotel

Location within walking distance of the train station

We stayed there for 4 nights. The location is excellent and we could easily returned to the hotel in the middle of the day to unload stuff, wash up and took some rest before going out again. The restaurants nearby are great too. The staff was very helpful and they alert us about the construction works that might affect the traffic to the airport so that we could make alternative arrangement.

No air conditioning requiring the window to be open. The great location meant a lot of noise at night.

Great location. Breakfast was excellent with more of a selection then expected. All the staff were very friendly and helpful.

What can I say, we thoroughly enjoyed our three night stay. We, being two couples aged between 47 to 57, found the hotel and staff delightful. The rooms are small but completely adequate, bed linen and towels spotless and the bed was very comfortable. There was air con in the both rooms, however, despite the weather turning unexpectedly warm, we found just having the window open in our 4th floor room was enough. Shower room was small but it served our needs. There was also a safe in the small hanging space. Not a lot of storage space for those who like a place for everything. There is a lift to all floors as well as stairs - which were quite steep ! The reception/bar in the lobby offered a basic selection of beer, spirits and soft drinks. Breakfast was also served in the lobby and offered a tasty buffet menu, the usual continental choices as well as cereal, yogurt, pancakes, eggs, bacon, toast, juices, tea and coffee. There is also a locked luggage room which was very handy as we weren't flying home until the evening and meant we didn't have to lug our cases around after checking out that morning. The hotel is walking distance to many of Amsterdams attractions and you can see the Centraal station from it's front door. The staff were lovely, always polite, helpful and willing to chat.

There was no aircon - just a fan on a table which was not very efficient so the room was quite hot to sleep in (June). We had to open the windows which meant that we got more of the traffic noise from tram and other traffic. We stayed for 4 nights and although the room was very clean when we got there it was not cleaned very nicely during our stay. Wished they would have vacumcleaned while we were out.

Very convenient location close to the train station and in walking distance from the a lot of main sights. Breakfast was nice with eggs and fried vegetables every day along with fresh fruit, yoghurt and bread. The room was really cosy and nicely decorated. Beds were comfy.

• Double Room - Street Side - Ground Floor

They gave us a "not so good" room, behind the reception, and the path to get there was too small and too dark. Besides, it was very noisy because the windows led straight into the street and they don't have air conditioning in the rooms (at least not in the two that my friends and I were staying).

A very small room. There were slopes on the ceiling. Uncomfortable bed and pillows. We had to use the air conditioner, but it so noisy and wake us up every time it starts. For €250 per night I expected much more.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

This is an excellent hotel. Well appointed, nice lobby area, and located very close to the train station and many other attractions are within walking distance. The breakfast is lovely, with a variety of options. The staff were very helpful.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

It was very hot, but this was due to extremely hit weather. Maybe could have another fan in the room.

This was a excellent location, very central. Very comfy beds and pillows.

Ladies who are preparing for breakfast were very unfriendly and lofty. Too bad, because the rest were all very friendly and worked hard for the visitors.

Hotel has a good location and nice dessign.

Hotel is sandwiched between busy streets therefore noisy. The room was small but sufficient. No airco in the room and it was 32 degrees Celsius. The fan didn't produce the necessary air.

Nice modern hotel in the heart of Amsterdam . Nice breakfast.

• Double Room - Street Side - Ground Floor

The breakfast could offer a little more choice, but what was on offer was delicious.

The pillows are amazingly comfy, best nights sleep I've had in ages. And to say we had the 'noisy' street side room, I didn't feel disturbed at all! The hotel is close to plenty of restaurants, museums and amenities and is also 5 minutes walk from the station and red light district, perfectly located if you want plenty to do. Staff are friendly and attentive and were helpful throughout our stay. Felt like more than 3 stars to me.

The room was very small but comfortable. When we opened the door to the room it almost hit the bed!

The location was within walking distance of the train station with easy access to hop on the tram system. Although the room was small, it had a nice large modern clean bathroom with a nice shower. Lots of restaurants to walk to. We had a front room that overlooked the train station. Breakfast was better than expected. Lots of choices besides the usual bread, meat and cheese thing. In addition, they had several hot items to choose from including eggs benedict every morning and pancakes. Staff was helpful with the local info although I would explore my own restaurant options.

More breakfast options.

The bed was AMAZING!!! The hotel was lovely, comfortable and clean. Location was excellent. Would definitely recommend and will probably stay again!!

Browse Hotel Sint Nicolaas traveller photo gallery