Reviews of Stayokay Haarlem

Jan Gijzenpad 3, 2024 CL Haarlem, Netherlands

#10 of 16 hotels in Haarlem

Based on 605 hostel reviews

• Quadruple Room

When staying there one should take their towels or get them for additional cost, but that was mentioned in the info sheet. :)

Everything was clean and new. We liked the breakfast and the fact that the bar works till quite late.

• Quadruple Room

Friendly staff, welcoming atmosphere in the hostel, very clean quadrupleroom with private bathroom, good and tasty breakfast, managed also the parking ;-) We enjoyed every moment of our stay and we will definitely recommend it!

• Single Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

Everything is perfect, hence I always come back to this hostel.

The hostel is located in a nice area and very close to the train station (14 minutes walking along a beautiful canal). It is very clean and the breakfast is amazing, especially after having an adventurous day before. The reception guy gave us another room than the initial one in order for me and my 2 friends to sleep alone in the 4 beds room. Thank you for this gesture, it was well appreciated!

• Quadruple Room

The place is a hostel, please read all the fine print! The beds were not made! 2 euros a towel, and bunk beds that looks more like an Alcatraz movie, very disappointed, they charged over $130 for a hostel. Please read the fine print. Checked out did not stay, or used anything, but they still refused to return my money. The employees were very polite and courteous, but the place is not up to standards. Still trying to get my money back

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

I liked everything, location is a shitty thing to complain about since I knew where it was when booking, so I wont!

Great place if you dont mind being out of the city.

The walls are not sound proof; one could hear neighbours and guests in the hallway. The breakfast could be better - vegetables on the buffet would be nicer.

The staff was friendly and access to the rooms were easy.

Didn't like it that you have to pay for the towels-you have to rent or buy one. and even if you rent one they are so tiny .Receptionist as well wasn't helpful and pleasant.was quite ignorant. wouldn't come back.at the end it meant we spent the same money if would stayed in proper hotel.

breakfast was ok,cant complain .

• Single Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

Some sort of policy to 'reserve' lower beds for those who have particularly asked for it. It'd be a shame if 2 young men take the lower beds with a senior person & a middle aged woman being forced to take upper ones. Breakfast was too basic :( please try & add a little vegetables, fruits, flavored yogurt etc.

Location, staff that are willing to help (especially Jolanda), innovative products for sale at the reception (promoting save the planet theme)....

• Family Room (6 Adults)

Imdisabled n was put upstairs the steps are good enough for me only if onced used but i&i need to go more often downstairs i do struggle.

The value for money is good.its just the parking too small not enough if most guest

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Location is good for car, otherwise you need to take a bus to Haarlem. Or ask someone with a car for a ride.

Breakfast good.. room good... all nice.. I'll be back!

• Quadruple Room

You have to make a bad yourself (you get blankets etc) and you don't get a towel (you can buy it at reception), but I guess that's the way to keep the price low, so for me it was completety acceptable.

Great prive/value. Stayokay is for me the best brand of hostels I have ever visited (not only the Haarlem one)

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

A couple times people were smoking marijuana. Also very noisy bunch of teens having a party in the hall.

Bed was very comfortable.Breakfast was goid.

• Single Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

Prior to arrival I had spoken to the hostel about my late arrival time. I was informed that my key would be put in the safebox next to the door and given the code. Upon my arrival around 1 AM there was no key in the box and it was extremely difficult to get ahold of anyone is the hostel as it was after hours. It was very cold and raining at the time. Eventually I was let in, but it was very fustrating when I was told " so&so forgot and gave me your key, but I didn't put in the box because I thought you would call" and not really offered any sort of sympathy being told " one family had to wait for 4 hours and it was colder out".

Really fun games avaliable to play with other guests. Friendly staff, happy to give information and supply a converter.

• Quadruple Room

I missed TOAST and wished there was a toaster! Also, it would have been nice to have a microwave for public use. The rooms were way too small. No privacy in the bath area.

The breakfast was decent and bigger than I thought. It was nice that there was hot water available - which helped in making bottles for babies.

• Single Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

Although other users were complaining about the room being too cold, I didn't have any problem with the radiators. My experience was great.

It was perfect, I didn't encounter any problems during my two-night stay. I loved the cozy ambiance at anytime of the day.

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Position. Perfect if you travel by car, but very far from the city center if you don't. There are Buses but they're very expensive. About 2.65€ single ticket or 14€ for the daily ticket. You can rent a bike for about 10€/day at the hostel or at the centraal station but then you have to ride for 15 minutes. Room was not very clean. Due to a private party, most of the common spaces were not allowed to the hostel guest. In my opinion too expensive.

The room was constantly freezing!! Travel isn't as cheap as I read it is online. Looking at 25€ return to Amsterdam so if you're planning on travelling around (like I was) I'd suggest Some where closer to a town as I had to pay 5€ just to get to the closest town. In 3 days I spent 250€ on travelling around the Netherlands. The rooms are non smoke rooms so you have to smoke weed outside, not good when it's -3c lol. The breakfast is just cereal and bread.

There's a smoke shop if you head towards the garage, it's about a 25 minute walk, I didn't find this until my last night so abit gutted as I was paying 5€ to go to Haarlem every day to get weed. There's a nice Chinese about a 15 minute walk behind the hostel too, very yummy! The hostel has the world's worst pool table but it was fun to laugh at it lol. Beds were clean and our room had a nice view of grass/woods/birds.

• Single Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

The height of the room wasn't high enough especially when it is a bunk-bed and I keep banging my head on the ceiling.

The fact that the hostel was only 15 min walk to local train instead of taking my car to Amsterdam central which was a Relive. Also, the breakfast was awesome and the staff were really helpful.

• Quadruple Room

Yes! We could not ask for a better and healthier breakfast. The eggs were perfectly boiled. The bedding were ironed and seemed new. The staff was really friendly and helpful. The dining room and the bar were very convivial. The price was great! Plus, complimentary champagne for New Year and a nice walk (10 min) along the canal to reach the train station.

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

When we arrived one of our windows had no curtain. It was solved swiftly when we notified the reception, but the new curtain was hanged as if done by a kid (a mess!). But nothing major; in general we had a very pleasant stay and would return.

We enjoyed our stay at Stayokay Haarlem! The hostel is family oriented and we soon found ourselves with a homey feeling playing table games, pool, table football, having a beer at the bar or watching tv at night. Shower was perfect. Haarlem itself is worth a visit, we found a cute market on Saturday noon around the historical center. The bus to Haarlem's train station (and Amsterdam) is just in front of the hostel (line 2). In case you to dine at the hostel, there's a dinner menu offered in the café at 14 euros/person. There's no other restaurant within walking distance.

• Quadruple Room

It was like staying in a a room rented and had to make own bed, no carpet, no towels. It was 1 star accommodation for price of 4 stars

Staff was friendly

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

I was a young woman who was sharing a bedroom with 4 older men.This wouldn't be a problem but I had arrived with a few friends. I was told that me and my friends would not be able to share a room together as the hostel was fully booked. However, 2 of my friends were placed in the same room and me and my other friend were separated from the other girls and each other. I felt extremely uncomfortable in my room which I was sharing with the 4 unknown older men. When I woke, I realised that there was a bed which hadn't been occupied in my 6 bedroom room, which left me questioning why my friend wasn't able to share the same room as me, so that we could feel more comfortable.

Breakfast was good. I liked the idea of the packaged bedsheets.

• Quadruple Room

I think it is relatively expensive. It is a good accommodation, but it is not a hotel. And the price is like that of a hotel. For Haarlem, I expected it to be a bit cheaper.

Everything was nice and clean, the room was quiet. For breakfast we could choose from many different things which was good.

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Somebody stole my jacket, but I'm sure it was another guest. It was a little far from the center, but just a 15 min ride next to a nice park

Very nice place, helpful staff and lovely breakfast

Everything was fine, no regrets)

The place is cousy, clean. Breakfast is good, nice people at the reception. P.S. glass cooler with lemon water and small mint growing near the cooler is DOPE!!!Thank you)

Leaving!

The rooms have had a major make-over since my last visit and are even better and brighter than before! The staff are still very efficient and helpful.

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Location is not good. Very far away from the city center. 8-bed room is too small and there's no common room for people, especially for the solo travelers to hangout. This hostel is more suitable for group travelers or family. If solo travelers want to make friends or share stories and experience, I don't recommend it.

Nice staff, breakfast was included. very clean.

• Single Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

Bunk beds were very high so difficult to get down and up without disturbing your neighbour. The hostel had everything you needed and was very clean but no atmosphere it was more of a place for people to sleep by the looks of it

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

I am 73. I asked if they could change my bunk to the lower level, and they did, but it involved me moving all my stuff. Perhaps staff could be advised to automatically check if older guests want a lower bunk. Thank you.

I pretty much liked everything. Am very impressed with the fine breakfast buffet, the flavored water, the fruit bowls set in the lobby, the friendly helpfulness of the staff.

No towels and exstra blankets. Towels are available but at an exstra cost.

The bus stop is at the property itself and there are bicycles to rent as well. Staff were always friendly and helpful. There is an energy in the air. There are lots to do.

• Quadruple Room

The pictures let us to believe that the room was more spacious than it really is. The room felt quite cold and damp - once the bathroom vent starts working I think that the dampness will disappear.

Clean room with comfortable bed. Good location for visiting both Amsterdam and the beach. Nice outdoor space for relaxing and playing. All in all a friendly place.

• Quadruple Room

1) The hallway was completely dark after the lights out time, which made it hard to navigate the hall without a flashlight. 2) I traveled with my husband and child. Having an option of 3 (or 4) lower beds would have been nice. I ended up sleeping in an upper bunk, which for me is starting to be a little challenging. 3) The round wood hooks by the sink, although look really neat, leave marks on the white towels (from the wood) if the towels are hung up damp. 4) We also stayed at the Utrecht Stayokay. They have bunks that include a shelf, which is nice for a water bottle which also works as a screen. The shelf is designed so things will not fall off and risk hitting the person below, especially helpful if you are sleeping on the top bunk. 5) Also at the Utrecht Stayokay they had wood boxes with wheels that rolled under the beds. These were lockers for your belonging. They worked well to set your backpack or suitcase on for unpacking and packing. They also worked out well to partially pull out 2 from a bed and use as a ledge for a lower bunk slept in by a child as well as a step under the lowest rung of the bunk ladder. 6) Beds are narrower than a twin bed.

1) Our room was clean! 2) Plenty of hooks in the shower room. 3) Breakfast was included. 4) Sink vanity with the large open shelf is supper convenient for storing clean towels and toiletries. 5) Checkout time is after the time breakfast ends. Gives you time to pack up after breakfast. 6) Water bottle filling spigot in the common area. 7) On site parking and close street parking!! 8) Nice individual bed light and plug in. 9) Mattress was a comfortable firmness.

• Quadruple Room

Poor breakfast (no vegetables at all in season time), full parking place so I had to park on the street. Quite noisy and busy hostel, slaping doors and music until midnight.

Nice personel, helpfull and handy.

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

friendly staff. arrived at the hostel ahead of time. I was treated to coffee, were allowed to leave our bag before check in. The hostel is very clean. Picturesque and peaceful countryside around.Near the Park.The bus stop right outside the hostel. very convenient to get to the center. I recommend Stayokay hostel.

• Quadruple Room

The room was super cold and there was only one outlet halfway up the wall. Just barely enough parking.

Bar in the hostel was cool. Great breakfast included in our room. The free reusable water bottles were a nice and eco-conscious touch. Lots of recycling as well.

We booked a room with a private bathroom/shower. We were specifically looking for private facilities and booking.com had the logo/note PRIVATE next to the room type we booked. We ended up in a block - 2 separate rooms with shared bathroom/shower. This was a huge but only disappointment on this trip. This property is great. We enjoyed our stay. But when you book and pay for a room with a private facilities you expect to have a private bathroom/shower, not shared. Guys, property or booking.com - get this fixed, you can't charge for shared the price you charge for private or at least be upfront with this.

Great place to stay. Facilities, breakfast, parking. Bus stop across the street, easy access to the city center.

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

No soap. Come on, guys, no soap in the toilet??? Are you serious? I'm ok with no shower gel, but buying a personal soap at the reception is too much for the hostel. And besides I had to pay 2 euros to rent a towel.

Room is quite spacious. Beds are comfortable and each bed has a personal lamp, which is convenient.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Everything was perfect.

Staff extremely helpful and friendly. Family room warm and very comfortable. Breakfast and dinner very healthy and tasty. Atmosphere in the hostel very welcoming and chilled. Enjoyed every minute of our stay. I will recommend it to all my friends and family.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

no individual lights in the dorms and no electric outlets close to each of the bunk beds, no kitchen, having to take the bus when visiting the centre of Haarlem (due to the 3km distance) was a bit annoying but I mainly went up north to Alkmaar and Beverwijk so it wasn't that bad (because for that I used the train station close by)

good breakfast, nice staff, showers and bathrooms were a part of each room, good wifi, welcoming atmosphere, cosy beds

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

In our room there was no any wardrobe, and EVEN weren't 3-4 hooks in the wall for clothes. I used one in bathroom, but I could imagine, how it was strange =) They said, that they will resolve this problem soon (rooms was new!) Towels and soap - for extra pay.

Wonderful place! I recommend it to everybody, who is looking for budget variant of staying. Good staff!

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

hand soap could be added to hostel sinks

friendly staff, relaxing surroundings, honey bees :)

• Single Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

It’s a hostel so you have to wipe your own butt. Don’t stay here if you’re used to being pampered at mid to higher end hotels.

The bar is great

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

A bit far from the centre and in front of a busy road. Pleasant for a night but a bit overprice.

• Single Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

It was a little out of the way, but taking the buss around makes everything close.

Very clean and wonderful staff

Very small rooms, No towels, Toiletries not sufficient

Location, Parking, Price

they should provide a kitchen for cooking your own food, as most of the hostels do.

Noise to close the door

Comfort bed

Nice quiet area.

• Quadruple Room

Small room ,bunk beds are not suitable for kids.Congested room and location is also not good. Limited facilities.

Not worth

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

No shared kitchen to prepare food.No refrigerator to be used.

The room was clean. The rental bike was great.

Room for 6 people a bit small

Good location near keukenhoff garden and Amsterdam. Plus points for breakfast buffet .. very good WiFi

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Location was a bit out of the way. noisy with big groups of teenagers!

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

If you book a 6 bed room, you can expect to end up in 8 or 9 bed room apparently.

People were great.

• Single Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

The Breakfast and the service of the staff.

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Overall a good place to stay. Very homey atmosphere and friendly staff. Bus stop is across the street.

Nothing!!!!

The staff was warm and welcoming. The hostel has a bar. Very clean

Would be great if breakfast had some hot food.

The beds are so comfy. Big rooms and nice outdoor area. Breakfast was very generous.

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

The rooms weren't cleaned.

The sofa in the dining room was great.

Heater not enough warm

Breakfast nice

• Single Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

I spent many time to find stayokay. But people are very helpfull.

Is closed to north see, to station and the centrum is not so far.

• Family Room (6 Adults)

Very cold, not enough heater, so many dust in the room (Doesn't clean)

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Too many people for one bathroom

It got the job done.

Bus journey to property.

Clean and spacious accommodation. Very friendly and helpful staff.

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

great staff / friendly and informative. great breakfast / liked the fruit bowl / water availability.

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

If a useable kitchen facility it would be perfect.

There were dirty sheets We had no hairdryer

The location was awesome. Breakfasts were delicious. The room was cozy enough

There was no hair dryer in the room. The sheets weren't clean

Breakfast was good, the staff was friendly. Haarlem city is gorgeous

Everything with extra money

Good stuff and friendly

No towels available

Clean room friendly staff

• Single Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

The staff and the environment!

nothing its all okay

everything

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Soft bed, the location: not close to center (still take time with the bus)

Clean and tidy, good decoration, nice staff, new bed sheet everyday

• Single Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

Second floor in the bed is was enough for sit in downstairs bed it's was amazing

• Quadruple Room

great place great breakfast and great poeple and great town. Loved our stay

Cozy beds and cozy shower

Friendly and helpful staff.

Browse Stayokay Haarlem traveller photo gallery