Reviews of Stayokay Heemskerk

Tolweg 9, 1967 NG Heemskerk, Netherlands

#1 of 2 hotels in Heemskerk

Based on 572 hostel reviews

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Some guests in the hostel do not understand the rules about quiet times.

The room for 6 people was very large, with cupboards for belongings and en suite facilities. Breakfast was cereals and breads, meat, cheese and fruits. Three course dinners on offer for 17 euro. Beautiful garden and moated castle provide special ambiance. Walk to bus. Staff very friendly and helpful. Rental bicycles.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

First feeling from the room was - hmmm, back to school camps with bunk beds.

Great coffee for breakfast, clean toilets, nice personal, beautiful park around, quiet place.

We shared the property with about 60 kids & their teachers so was quite noisy at times.

Fantastic location great staff & we got to spend time in a castle.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Our shared room was perhaps a little small for 6 people.

Scenic location and castle gardens to walk around/have a picnic. The inside of the castle was very pretty and featured a bar, while our hostel room was clean. Lots of choice for breakfast and a large car park. Only 20mins from central Amsterdam by car.

Clean simple room for main needs. But inside a real castle! )) That's really cool! ) There is wooden furniture, chandeliers, knight armors in common spaces, big dining room, where we enjoyed a breakfast. There is a tasty beer in the bar. We booked a room for 2, and we've got a room with one bank bed and one simple bed, table, two chairs, closet, sink near the closet. There is own shower and a toilet in the room. We were there at the end of April, and it was pretty warm at daytime, but at night we set radiator for a little higher temperature. Beds are pretty narrow, but it was good enough for us, as we are slim and short people) Everything as described, read all notes carefully.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

There was quite a bit if noise coming from above. The floors made a lot of noise. There wasnt much variation for breakfast. I would have preferred some fruit.as well. The Castle gardens close too early. Otherwise no major complaints. I found the property to be a bit expensive and there was not enough facilities to shower in the morning.

The property is very nice. The area was lovely. The people in my room were lovely.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

I've stayed here before, in the castle. I really liked that, but now I stayed in De Oranjerie. That's a house outside of the castle. The plus side is that you have 24 hour access, the down side is that it's very old-fashioned, a 3-4 person room has 6 beds in it, some of the beds were extremely noisy (although after I complained about that the most terrible bed got blocked in the reservation system, so only the first night wasn't good), there's 2 power outlets in a room meant for 6 people (in 2018, with a night light installed next to the bed, so an upgrade could be done in a matter of hours...), no basic amenities like hand soap to wash your hands after you've been to the toilet and, perhaps worst of all, no common area. So if you'd like to watch a film or have a drink when other people have gone to bed, there's nowhere you can go to (except outside). Want to take a dump in the evening? Prepare to flood the room with stink. And you can't even wash your hands because there's no soap. I almost forgot: the room hasn't been cleaned properly for at least months! There's no cleaning when there are guests so you have to take out the trash yourself, ask for toilet paper, try to get the bath room to a decent level of hygiene... And the dust keeps on collecting of course. I don't even want to know how the beds are cleaned. Even though this place is cheap and has a wonderful location, you don't want to stay in De Oranjerie. It lacks basic hostel features, the hygiene is not at the level you should be able to expect in a first world country, it's noisy and just too small. If you're booking here, make sure to either get a room in the castle or book an entire floor with friends or something so you can divide the groups over the rooms yourself. De Oranjerie will probably be renovated in about 2 years time. In my opinion it's best to avoid it until that time.

The castle is really cool, the garden beautiful and the 24 hour access if you're staying in De Oranjerie is quite convenient. The staff I talked to was also very friendly and helpful. Lots of things to see nearby.

• Quadruple Room

I travelled with a baby and the bunk beds were not appropriate despite of booking a private room and paying much more than a shared room. Ideally, the facilities must accommodate travelers with proper beds if they are expected to pay for a private room. We were expected to tidy up and make our bed. The towels were charged but were hand towels rather than bath towels.

The castle is iconic and beautiful gardens. The location was 25 minute walk from the station. The breakfast and dinner was good.

• Quadruple Room

The dinner limited, a basic salad & plain pasta for 16 Euros was not very tasty or filling. A tour group arrived back late in the evening and made a huge amount of noisy screaming & shouting to each other which woke my children up. More information on what to do in the immediate area would be helpful.

The Castle is stunning and the gardens beautiful. Bar tender on duty was very friendly and accommodating to the children

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

It's really basic. Not a problem to me, but I don't think I'd bring a date here. Also, you can't eat here if you follow a plant-based diet or have lots of allergies. It was pretty disappointing to wake up hungry, wanting to eat some bread and then only finding a couple slices of cucumber, haha.

The location is beautiful. Those hollowed out ages old stairs, ceilings at least 5 meters high, some harnesses spread around... I recommend staying more than one night so you have all the time in the world to stroll through the garden. It's also pretty quiet throughout the hostel after about 12 PM as it's not a party hostel.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

The checkin time is only until 12am and after that the door closes. If you come later there is no chance of getting in. If you already checked in you still have to be there before 12am and thats a little bit too early if you have to attend a concert in Amsterdam for example.

The breakfast was really really good and the facility it self was gorgeous!!! The staff was super nice and everything was clean. The beds were comfortable and the bedsheets were provided.

• Family Room (6 Adults)

Nothing. Everything was reasonable: the price, the charges...

Loved the castle. We stayed in a room that accommodated our family of 6. It is an old foundation so you will get that old wood smell, medieval ambiance (except of course the rooms as the furnitures are bunk beds and such but still worth it). The price is just right considering that it is a hostel. Breakfast is sufficient to start your day. 30 Min by car into Amsterdam so the location is not bad. Ample parking specially for bigger vehicles like ours. I would recommend this castle to everyone who is looking to get that authentic European feel without having to pay an arm and a leg.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Because no one tuck the payment for staying the night befor my son and his friend missed there return flight home they had to leave at 6/6:30 am but due to staff never left till gone 8am and had to stay in airport till 6pm the following day costing me £240 which I have had to lend off friends very upset and angry by this !!.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

The day we stayed was a party on the 1st floor but after 11 PM it has ended.

Simple but good breakfast. It contains everything that you need. Very good and beautiful neighborhood. Hostel itself also looks good, you live in a castle, what is awesome.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

I didn’t like my neighbors but isn’t fault of castle.

I was my first time when I lived in real castle, stuff were very friendly and nice. My breakfast was really Nederland and I enjoyed all time what I spend here. I would like to stay more but it was fully booked.

Had to pay for towels even though I already played a good amount ($700) to reserve a private room. Also, you have to put your own sheets on your bed. Doors lock you out after 12am, but you can get someone else to let you in. But come on now, eho goes home before 12am in Amsterdam! I thunk they should have a system on the door where as long as you have a key you can unlock it! Overall worth the stay and I stayedokay 😄

Very beautiful location and castle. It's a shirt walk to the Train station and a short ride to Amsterdam central.

• Family Room (6 Adults)

Our shower was pretty smelly so we didn’t use it 😳

Ummm it is a castle! Our whole group loved this place and found it super magical! We were there for Easter and the staff hosted an egg hunt for the kids all around the castle. So fun for them! Everyone was very nice and we were very pleased with our room (the word hostel can seem offputting!)

Sometimes you can have problems with public transport, if you aren't traveling by car

Very beautiful views, hostel situated in very quiet and cozy city. Impresed by the territory of hostel, amazing

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

The ground floor for the hostel i was in could have been a little cleaner

Stay okay Heemskerk was a dream come true. I had been looking for accommodation endlessly when I found it and jumped on it. However my arrival to Amsterdam was quite late and their check-in time closes at 11:30. I sent an email to explain and they obliged giving us an extra hour to make it in. The breakfast was so delicious and the beds super comfy. We politely asked again for an extension of our checkout time(we were exhausted from the trip and needed more time to sleep) and they obliged to giving us an extra hour. Their Staff are courteous and helpful too they have us tips on where to visit and helped full out waterbottles.

• Family Room (6 Adults)

We spent 2 nights there, 1 in the castle and 1 in the small building. In the old building was a little bit cold and noisy due to the heavy wind, and the heating was not so efficient.

Old castle, so the un-usual building makes very good feeling. Good breakfast. Free parking places.

• Family Room (6 Adults)

Not many electric sockets in the room, we advise to bring an extension with extra sockets.

Nice hostel castle type with a play room with boardgames, there is a snack vending machin, a bar with a friendly staff. Breakfast was good but the same every day: boiled eggs, bread, cheese, meat, juice, coffee, cereal, yogurt, and we liked that they had soy milk too. Close to Amsterdam, the sea and Zaanse Schans.

Location is really far from city, for me was kinda hard to found it. No tower or shampoo are provided. It is a hostel, I stayed here because I received an email from Booking.com my previous hotel was cancelled, so I got no choice but to tried this Hostel, new experience for me.

Wifi is good, breakfast is great. It is a Castle, nice lake with ducks & swans. If you like nature, this place definitely suit you.

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

Quite far from the train station, especially walked alone at night. Booked for a bed in 4, but ended up with 8.

The castle remained most of its features and designs. Breakfast was good.

I was told no food can be taken and then the chef didn't show up and I had to find my own dinner. The staff think the guests are an inconvenience.

The castle looked good.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Lovely place to stay, Incredible building and surrounding area. Staff are lovely and very helpful, not too far from the beach or Amsterdam central Would love to stay again.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Not enough knights, castle ghosts or enemy forces scaling the castle walls. Could do with a jousting contest, a jovial king announcing his daughters marriage to a neighbouring kingdoms Prince to strengthen the two great nations alliance. Bit of a drawback, there was no draw bridge,also at dinner (feast) we could have done with a bard or minstrel, at least a jester or two?

It's a castle! What more do you want!?

• Quadruple Room

The common lounges were a bit noisy, but there were lots of families having a good time.

We thought it was fun to stay in a castle. The breakfast, which was included in the price, was very good, lots of choices. They offered coffee, tea, juice, yogurt, breads, meat, cheese, cereal, and fruit for breakfast. A good no-frills value option.

Altough there are rooms outside the castle and were not informed during the booking, rooms are in front of the castle and really comfortable too

Fully recommendable Amazing breakfast Great staff Nice place to visit

I booked it for my parents in law from Indonesia for 1 night but this was clearly not suitable for them. More a youth hostel. The info on the website was not very clear about that or perhaps I missed it.

Very nice location. Nice garden

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

No soap in dorm bathroom. Midnight curfew to be back in the building as they lock the doors.

Cool experience staying in a castle! Breakfast was decent - boiled eggs, bread, meats, cheeses, muesli, coffee, juice etc.

The bunk beds were ok-comfortable, that ladder to the top bunk was incredibly small and inconvenient to access. We could hear every noise from outside (children screaming) through the old windows in the Oranjerie. I guess my expectations were too high, considering that this is a hostel, not a hotel.

Breakfast was simple but nice, coffee was fresh. Rooms were clean, bed sheets were fresh. The castle's park was amazing and surely even more so in the sunshine... The premises looked well taken care of. Plenty of car parking available (mind the bumps!). All staff was very friendly.

• Quadruple Room

While the property was clean, the floor in our room could have been cleaner but that was the only complaint we had.

Bunk beds but comfortable. Good breakfast. Worthwhile experience for a young child to stay in a castle.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

The fairytale Garden is not accessible! A lot of noise outside if not for weddings in the evening, but for works outside into the daytime

The place is super! An old castle with a fairytale garden!

• Quadruple Room

We had a private room for 4 in the castle itself. We arrived by car in the evening and parked conveniently close in the free parking. The room was up several flights of stairs, through an ancient doorway and down another hallway. We enjoyed exploring the castle, but this could be a problem if you need to bring in a lot of luggage. The room had a view of the central courtyard and was very clean with separate private shower and toilet facilities. Since this is a hostel, we received a package of sheets to make the beds ourselves. Breakfast was excellent and plentiful.

1st, there was nobody at front desk for checkin, took us awhile to find her. We didn't stay for the night as we were put in a hostel instead of a castle room as we had booked. The bathroom was dirty and the room was the size of a city cell or dorm room. There was no soap or towels. The sheets were in the castle that you grab to make the beds yourself. The only good thing was the veiw from our room. We were very disappointed. So much so that we had to find other accommodations.

The grounds were nice

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Member of the stayokay. Loss of the business.

Kaastel Assumburg has beautiful place. Yes to tick on Moat Isle. Stayokay will be removed it. Replace to real Hotel service plus apartment as well.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

I got temporarily locked in the toilet because the locking bar jammed and it's hard to turn to release the lock

The chicken slices for breakfast, and hot drinks machine. I liked the whole castle location, with the table tennis in the front garden, and sitting and relaxing by the moat.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Unfortunately a few co-roomers were "noisy" so I only got a few hours sleep. This was a one night stay. When I next book (which should be next year) it will be in a room with a lot fewer or no co-roomers

The Lady that assisted with sign in is exceptional so must so that for the first time in my life ( no exaggeration) I felt like giving a stranger a hug but didn't as it might have been viewed as inappropriate . I enjoyed our conversation. Give her my best.

No Air conditioning. No screening over windows so bugs came in like mad, the friendly cat also jumped into room. He was good and a relief that the large critter that jumped into the room in the middle of the night was only a cat. Having to make the beds. Bathrooms clean but dreary. The 130 school kids who were there and totally out of control all night long forcing some guests to flee in the middle of night. The lines were so long for food we just left instead. Castle decor inside could be better.

A true old castle where you can actually stay in the castle, nice grounds

Unfortunately this year they got a rooster... that did its job at first light.

This Hotel is simple and convenient. Our room was in the annexe which is ok.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

Kids running up and down halls until midnight. Room was facing entrance so was loud from people in and out as well as local rooster going from 3am. Walls and bed frame very dirty. Pillow extremely dirty.

Neat to stay in castle, amazing area

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

• Quadruple Room

We couldn't explore the castle because they had school going on and students were studying. Check out was 10:15 because studies started at that time. Meals in the castle were minimal they suggest themselves to eat elsewhere.

It had nice grounds to see and the castle was picturesque.

• Quadruple Room

Everything! Staff, castle, grounds, restaurant, free use of recreation equipment, play clothes. reading material. I've already recommended this hostel to friends. Will be back!

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Remember this is a hotel so if you share room expect a noisy and not so comfortable night.

Staying in an old castle is exciting the place is impressive from the outside. The garden, bar and breakfast is Ok too

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Stayed in a sharing room.. hotel has not really thought about privacy when placing wash rooms.. no privacy if you're sharing with others. Beds are very small. Place is pretty old.

Breakfast was very good. Good value for money. Very good place if a set of guys are going. But won't recommend for family staying. The lowest priced place you can find over there probably.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

As someone who is 6'5" tall the bunk was a bit small for someone my height

The property was a great repurposing of a great looking old building

• Quadruple Room

No kettles in the rooms.

We were in the weekend Amsterdam trip. Nice hostel in the Old castle. Basic rooms, quite location, easy access from motorway. Fair price compare to Amsterdam. Simply buffet breakfast.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

I guess the biggest problem of the place is that it is not really a hostel, but also not really a hotel. The place has huge unfulfilled potential, but it is still good as is.

Well, either you think sleeping in a castle is cool, in which case you should spend a couple of nights here, or you don't... Also, good value for money. The town seems sleepy, but there is a good bike ride to the beach and dune resort.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Closed doors input at 00: 00- 8:00 and the bar also.

Excellent and attentive atmosafaira decoration. Very good and affordable bar. Clean rooms and good facilities. Pretty good breakfast. Plenty of parking spaces for cars.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

The policy of having to be inside the property at midnight and not being allowed to bring outside food was a bit unpleasant, but manageable.

Location was amazing, peaceful and quiet. The breakfast buffet was good and the staff nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

This stay met all my critera: close to the airport, close to my friend that I wanted to visit, cheap, good breakfast and a castle. Can you ask for more.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

When booking it wasn't said that our room wasn't in the main castle and that we couldn't have dinner there; this should be clear when booking.

The whole place just had a very nice feel about it. Even though facilities were only partly in use because of the winter season it was great value and fun to stay at such an old historic place.

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

We came with a group of 10 guys on a group outing. This may not have been the best idea because we were quite loud and there are a lot of families with young kids staying here. This was our fault, but it may just be something you want to consider if you come with a large high energy group.

The location is stunning. Amazing value for the money.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

-the room was dirty when we arrived and was smelling horrible -the cleaning group did not do a good job cleaning our room -when we were changing the cleaning staff came in our room without knocking -the shower was not working one night -always check the blankets for strange stains and holes -the coffee was strange -always check under the table and beds

-the staff was really friendly and tried thier best to help out -the breakfast was alright i guess...

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

• Quadruple Room

The quality of our room and the breakfast did not fit with the beautiful castle, great landscape and friendly personnel (mold was everywhere in the bathroom, the room was dirty, the beds and bed pillows were too soft). Our room was uncomfortable and furnished spartanly (no images, no television, no toilet lid).

Beautiful castle and great landscape, friendly and helpful personnel

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

A beautiful setting well away from a busy road, we were given a 4 bunk room for two of us in the Orangerie which was welcome and appreciated, staff very friendly and helpful, good value for money.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

• Quadruple Room

Beschuit was soft and apeared old. Bread was perhaps a day old as it was not super fresh. Upper windows in Adelbert room could use a good cleaning. Wifi a bit flaky.

Service and friendliness of staff was extra ordinary....really really nice! Of course the building was superb.

• Reviewed: 10 July 2016

• Family Room (6 Adults)

The opportunity to stay in a gorgeous 16C castle for an affordable price 20 minutes from Amsterdam is a real treasure. Being a hostel, it is basic, but certainly not uncomfortable--it has everything you need, including a bathroom in our family room. Our children were thrilled beyond description and this was way more valuable to us than luxury accommodations in a nondescript setting.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

it is not a backpackers hostel, more a place to celebrate something like marriage or family meetings and let the guest also stay there for the night. Of course this was no surprise, you can see that before booking on the internet. No kitchen for travellers. Old building was very beautifull (and romantic for marriages) but very few electricity spots for loading phone, camera etc.

Good beds, shower and good working wifi in the Oranjerie.

There were only one charging point in the dorm for 8 people

Hostel in a medieval castle. Beautiful garden and good breakfast

no entry after midnight

very interesting accommodation in the castle delicious breakfast

Helpful and friendly staff

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

The place is absolutely amazing, staff is friendly. Nice unlimited breakfast.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

the environment is verygood, it's a good experence to stay in a castle, the garden is very beautiful.

• Quadruple Room

during night, I can clearly hear the voice from the next door

the castle is great, good place

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

Not much food choice and no toaster

Views were amazing

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

There are few people check in at 1:00am. It is really noisy!!!!

Nice breakfast! Cozy and bog room.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

The bathroom smelt of dead fish.

Guy was a lovely Bar man!

The beds were very basic and you had to made them up yourself.

The castle

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

The castle type of the Hostel. The nice staff. The nice breakfast.

Staying Like A Prince

Quite cold.in.the dormitory

History, atmosphere, breakfast, garden,.castle.

• Quadruple Room

The bed had a thin foam mattress on a steel frame were very hard.

The building and grounds were excellant

Internet wasn't reliable

Staff, place, architecture, park, wooden furniture, lakes, ducks and geese and trees

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

nice environment, I suggest for who fine the place to relax with family. There have beautiful garden for walking and relax.

• Quadruple Room

Good place for kids staying!

Browse Stayokay Heemskerk traveller photo gallery