Reviews of XO Hotels City Centre 3 stars

Beursstraat 11-19, Amsterdam City Centre, 1012 JT Amsterdam, Netherlands

#337 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

6.2

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Good location, but dirty.
    • Quadruple Room

Cleaning needs to be better. Maids do not vacuum or clean well. Bathroom looks to have been rinsed with water, I don’t think any cleaning products used to clean. Used condom under the bed. Carpet not vacuumed.

Close to everything. Best part is location.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

It was ok
    • Economy Double Room

The bed was horrible the base of the bed was broken so we were on a slant! The hotel itself needs a coat of paint and new carpets. Staff didn’t really make us feel welcome. It was noisy but that didn’t bother us as the location is so central to the tower clock.

Location is fantastic! 5 min walk from the train station and red light! Shower was very good, good power in it.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

It was an average stay
    • Economy Double Room

Very poor light in our room, small area for putting our clothes. There were workers repainting or so the outside wall, so no view at all. Hopefully this might change soon.

The staff was very helpful. Specially at the reception. We came from Toronto, didn’t sleep the whole night. Instead of preparing our room around 14.00, the cleaners finished the room at 10.30!!!

Great location, forget the rest!
    • Economy Twin Room

Room was small, carpet dirty and smelly, cigarette smoke came into the room from outside, plus it was obvious from the smell that smokers had recently used the room. Bed was disgusting - single due to the narrow nature of the room, old dusty pillows and lumpy mattress. Breakfast was cold and not worth the cost, with cooking staff negative and unwilling to poach an egg!

Location excellent.

Keep looking
    • Economy Double Room

The room was like an old attic, there were soft spots in the floor, the carpet was old and stained. We had to carry luggage up unsafe stairways several floors

Location was very good rooms needing upgrading no view from...

Room with a view clean carpets and better duvet

Location was very good rooms needing upgrading no view from window side of another building. Toilet clean with excellent facilities like toiletries supplied carpet needing replaced and duvets that for the bed would be good

The facilities are well located and the room was cosy.

I stayed at the ground-floor room right in front of the street which might be a problem because of the noise and privacy.

The facilities are well located and the room was cosy.

Promised a lot, delivered little.

We were allocated room 409 which was very small with little storage space. Hot water was only randomly available as the water pressure varied from no flow at all, to minor pressure only. One was lucky to get wet under the shower. A bath provided but had no taps available?? No phone in room to contact hotel staff and no mini bar. Beds not properly made up. Noise from patrons of adjacent bars and restaraunts continued through to at least 4.00am.

Good central location. Close to all attractions.

Decent, a bit pricey but expected in such a central location.
    • Comfort Triple Room

Staff we're just a bit bizarre, said "good morning" to one, and she just turned her nose up at me, very odd person. noise was quite loud, but you expect that with the location.

The hotel location is perfect, easy to find, plenty of info on city sights in the hotel. comfortable beds, and the rooms are clean

Nice location and clean room.
    • Superior Twin Room

Always had an issue with the key card, needed to reprogram it daily. Partial cleaning of the room ( they forgot toilet papper)

Nice location and clean room.

Amsterdam Trip

The first room I was allocated (Room 40) was in the basement, no natural light, right next to the hotel's laundry and service area and directly under a corridor with heavy duty creaking footfall. Went to reception to ask for a room change as with the footsteps overhead bon stop, there would be no chance of any sleep. Was first told there were no other rooms available, but perhaps a triple room (3 single beds) might be available. I said I'd like to see the new room. At the same time 2 other guests were checking in at the other side of the counter and I heard them having their room upgraded. I asked the person who was dealing with me, if there were no other rooms, how come these people were being given a different room? Low and behold I was then offered another double room (room 11) which I took a quick look at, and because it had a real window (who could think that at €170 euros a night a window would be such a luxury), I decided to change to this room. The new room, while much better, ultimately proved to be equally as noisey as it faced onto a very busy street, where noise continued to well after 3.00am. Needless to say I got very little sleep. Breakfast is served in a fairly austere and sterile dining room. Pretty basic even for the €10 per person extra charge. My score for this hotel comes out at 8.3 which surprises me, as for the price and standard of the hotel something more akin to between 6 would be more representative. There are far worse hotels but far better and when you end up paying nearly €200 a night for bed and breakfast, you do hope, dare I say it, expect something better.

Excellent location, very central. Found the second room I was allocated clean and spacious, no issues there. Staff polite and efficient (I get a feeling they are good at dealing with complainers and have perfected their art). Order me a taxi to the airport very quickly and at €45 cheaper than Uber who were scalping nearly €70 at the time I wanted to go (10.00am on a Friday morning). It's an old hotel in an old building, but with some TLC it could be much better. It is overpriced, should be €100 a night plus your regular taxes at most. But again, location is very good.

Great value for money at an excellent location
    • Quadruple Room

Location of the hotel was fantastic, Room and beds very comfortable, however it didn't have a fridge (at least for the 4 bed room, not sure about others).

• Economy Twin Room

It was in need of a refurb. Our room didn’t have double glazing and overlooked a busy street which was really noisy until about 2.00 am. Our air conditioning unit leaked and the carpet under it was wet and made the room smell damp. Despite telling the staff on several occasions nothing was done above it during our stay.

Nespresso Coffee machine in room

2 days before we arrived I received an email stating that work was taking place on refurbishing the hotel. I wouldn't have booked had I known. The hotel looks very tired and run down

Nespresso Coffee machine in room

If you’re on a budget and don’t mind waiting or noise then this place is for you.
    • Economy Double Room

Rooms are not sound proof, which meant waking up all hours to people on the street crying or being loud . Check in seemed unorganised - check in was at 2pm we had to wait until 3pm while waiting we were watching others be checked in then coming back to reception as their rooms were also not ready.

The bed was comfy and the location was central. The hotel is a short walk from the train station and if you arrive early they will store your bags for you ( they will not accept liability for anything stolen or damaged so do not leave anything valuable ).

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Walking distance from Train station.

The wifi didn't work properly, got to go down stairs to request a service and the receptionist said that it was because of my iPhone, because of its version (it sound wierd for me) however I got a signal in the hallway. Not in my room.

It's location.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in...
    • Economy Double Room

The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in and the Nespresso machine in our room was a lovely touch. The staff were excellent and very accommodating.

Would not stay there again.
    • Economy Double Room

The bathroom was dirty and the room had a smell of mold and mildew. Ask for a different room but was told none available. The hotel itself was very dirty being renovated. The pictures on line was not the room we got.

Did not eat there

Noise at night but Good location

Noise was so loud all night as the hotel is facing a bar. so expect drunk loud sounds from people ALL NIGHT!!. the windows are NOT sound proof at all so it's like you're sleeping in the street :).

The hotel location is very good and near buy the central station and the DAM square. Room is very clean and there cool amenities comes with the room.

The hotel was in the middle of a revamp, I was only told...

The hotel was in the middle of a revamp, I was only told just before my stay. Therefore could not cancel as it was too late. It’s not a bad hotel just not worth over £100 per night. Under the circumstances they should have offered a discount

Convenient location
    • Comfort Triple Room

It is quite old. The good thing is that it is being renovated now, so it will be much better for new visitors.

Location quite convenient, walking distance from train station and city center.

Lovely place to stay, everytime I come to Amsterdam I Always make sure I stay here.

Our tv wasn’t really working and the cleaning lady left her spray in our room and didn’t really clean anything she just half made the bed and left the quilts on the floor. But as we knew they don’t really do this we didn’t mention it or complain.

I’ve stayed here three times now, it’s such good value for money the staff are kind and helpful. When we needed anything such as an iron or extra towels they provided us with it. Directions ,hot spots around the neverlands they helped us.

Just location was in city centre.

There was power cut out at least in two days, I couldn’t charge my phone and shaver etc. And the guy at reception was abrupt and said that’s what it is we are renovating.... my question was don’t rent out the rooms which are effected, they take your money and absolutely no service. African guy who worked at reception was very rude to a customer at breakfast lounge, I stopped having breakfast there. Toaster was broken, hardly any egg left and they won’t make even a boiled egg when I asked for. Room was so small I hardly could open my suitcase. Room service always misses something either to replenish coffee or tea or even towel and soap. I will Not recommend this hotel to anybody.

Just location was in city centre. Also Ester (I think that’s what her name was) very nice, when room service which was always missed something I asked her and she will provide imidiatky including coffee capsules and towels.

HUGELY overpriced.
    • Economy Double Room

The hotel was being renovated. Reception staff were unhelpful. Despite a lift we had to climb up 4 sets of small stairs! Food looked disgusting. Bedroom was tiny. Bed tiny and uncomfortable too.

Aircon in the room was GREAT.

Great value, really central position, friendly staff, room 11 was so much better than we expected.

Would like a bar fridge. Needed a bit more cleaning in the bathroom.

Our Room was really comfortable. Like the lounging chairs and table. We had room 11 and really enjoyed watching the world go by out the window. Fresh towel and good linen. Friendly, helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

The reception was nice.

Our room was far, and It was difficult to walk to the room with our big luggages and also there was an odour in the room. The room was not very comfortable. It was quite old and smell bad. I even saw a sock for maybe a previous client under the bed. I could not use the coffee machine. If they renovate the rooms and provide assistance to bring luggage to the room, then I would maybe recommend same to my friends.

The reception was nice. Good welcome. Nice staffs. Nice bathroom.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

FAB few days, hotel was basic but everything you needed and location spo!
    • Comfort Triple Room

Pillows weren’t great and there were no extras available :(

Location was right in the centre of all the action, within walking distance of central station and has a coffee shop 3 doors down! We had a bag of presents we had bought go missing from the room which we think was taken accidentally by the cleaners however hotel manager was very helpful and reimbursed us the money for what had gone missing.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Never again
    • Comfort Triple Room

Staff rude, bodily fluids on my wall next to my bed, if it wasn’t for location I would’ve kicked up. Manager knew we were going to complain, obviously gets it a lot.

The bed was comfy, location is second to none, they give toiletries which I liked and the shower was immense

ROI totally negative,bad experience
    • Comfort Triple Room

almost impossible to take a shower (no water flow totally not build for families with children or people with any kind of disability very old building , bad odour to many stairs build like a labirint To expensive for what you get

Location was great, beds are the most uncomfortable I have...

Location was great, beds are the most uncomfortable I have ever slept in the pillows are actually what us brits call cushions, the room wasn’t hoovered daily the bathroom which appeared quite new had mould spots on ceiling and the toiletries were not replaced daily! I had to go in search of toilet roll on last day, I found some just outside the door thankfully, that cleaner had left along with her cleaning equipment in the hallway and a hoover (not used in our room)! Breakfast is not worth 10€ or €7.50 if booked in advance step just outside there are plenty of restaurants, cheaper and really nice breakfast

The location of the property is excellent.

Extremely poor hygienic conditions. No one bothers to clean your room until and unless you asks for it. Staff was rude and was least bothered to help us in settling down or showing our room.

The location of the property is excellent. Just a few mins walks from central station and Dam square.

Overall the bed was comfortable and the staff were approachable and helpful too.
    • Budget Single Room without Window

I thought the room itself was very dark and slightly claustrophobic. There was no window which I found disappointing.The wardrobe was also very small as it was just a rack.

The man at the front desk was very helpful with providing me with information about the city. I liked the shower and the bathroom was nice and bright. It was also a great location as it was very central.

Good value for money.
    • Economy Twin Room

The bed was not so comfortable. The payment need to be done beforehand after receiving an email with a link which is not convenient neither usual for other similar properties.

Good value for money. Excellent location. Very close to central station. Good for a quick city trip.

Unfortunately hotel was below my expectations. They could improve

After some amazing stays in Czech Republic, I believe XO's staff could be more supportive and gentle. They should go to Prague and learn how to take care of clients. We payed a lot more for this hotel and it just was below expectations. Bathroom could have improvements as it's really unpleasant: there was no glass box for you to take a shower without wetting the entire toilet. Bedroom could be darker and more silent. At night, we listened a lot of noise from the streets and the curtains couldn't stop the light to get inside. Wasn't pleasant to sleep at all. They also should change bed clothes by standard. I was impressed that I was two nights there and they didn't change it at all.

The location is great. You can go to all greatest touristic places walking - and that's the only good point that met my expectations about the hotel :(

You're better off staying a little outside city centre and getting a better place elsewhere.
    • Comfort Triple Room

Run down and dilapidated with stuffy rooms. Expensive price for low quality.

Close to main train station and red light district with lots of eating options near by,

Epic

Didnt like how small our room was the ceiling was very low and room was very stuffy

How close it is to everything pubs shops etc all within walkinh distance

Very closed to the Central Station and cruise port.
    • Economy Twin Room

AC in bedroom leaked onto carpet. Room smelled like mildew. Lots of steps inside hotel. Would be difficult for someone with limited mobility.

Very closed to the Central Station and cruise port.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

How clean the bathroom was
    • Economy Double Room

The rooms are very small and squashed for the price being paid - we paid 300€ for 2 nights in a double room, the bed was an overrated single bed and pillows were cushions! Bathroom was clean and nice which was okay but over all wouldnt return for the price in comparrison

How clean the bathroom was

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Disgruntled Aussie
    • Superior Twin Room

Bedding was 2 single beds put together, carpets felt dirty, toilet seat was broken, staff member promised us "an amazing room" but it was less than impressive.

Location was good, staff were pleasant considering the false expectations

Great for a short stay in Amsterdam

The stairs were very steep but the lift was great. There was some leaks from the roof in the hall but repairs were happening at time of our stay

Comfy bed, great shower. Helpful staff

• Comfort Triple Room

Our room in particular looked really shabby, broken radiator cover, wholes in the ceiling. Just a disappointment due to the vast difference in pictures of the rooms. We had a bag of rubbish which was left by the cleaners, they emptied the bin and we didn’t understand why the rubbish wasn’t collected, especially as we collected it all in one bag before going out for the day. Which meant we returned to a room smelling of last nights dinner!

Location Room size (we stayed in a triple room which was spacious)

I like the location of the property so much.

I like the location of the property so much. You lived in the city center with the best access to every public transport that you need. The red light district can be reached just by 5 minutes walking. The hotel staffs are so amazing, friendly, and helpful. I strongly recommend this place.

I did like the location
    • Comfort Triple Room

There was a construction action axactly next to my room , they were starting at 8:30 every morning so I had to wake up with the strange noise . That was the annoying things in the hotel .

I did like the location

Great location and good sized room for what we wanted and it didn't encourage us to stay in.
    • Superior Twin Room

The whole place needs decorating and a deep clean to remove the smell. I stayed in a hotel by the previous owners (Tulip) elsewhere in town that was much nicer. I was expecting that quality for the price I was paying this time - but I did not get it.

The room was a good size and the location for that part of town was unbeatable - however the decor was tired and dated and the building smelt of smoking. Knowing what I know now - I would stay again for that part of town.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

XO is ok
    • Quadruple Room

The baked beans in our english breakfast.

The location is perfect close to all the action. The hotel’s a little bit rough around the edges but perfect for 8 guys on a stag do.

Unsure
    • Economy Twin Room

I am just not sure about this hotel. Do not get the ground floor room its a place that you wont sleep. If you get the 4th floor then ur up 3 floors in the lift and then up a few flights of stairs but foot. Staff were brill, breakfast was good and there is a hot option for the 7.5 euros. However the hotel is really dated, its clean but previously i was in the premier inn for same price with breakfast and they were chalk and cheese. Location its good but for that bit extra its not. Large hotel with mixed clients but didnt hear noise in hotel as outside is party central.

The location was excellent but does have its downside.

Evier bouché de la salle de bains
    • Economy Twin Room

the sink in the bathroom was clogged during our entire stay despite our repeated requests for repair, it was a disgusting situation producing a lack of hygiene in the bathroom

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Perfect location!

Couldn't ask for a better location, room was clean and great value for money. So many restaurants and bars nearby and close to public transport.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Location is perfect for every aspect of an Amsterdam visit.
    • Superior Twin Room

Slightly disappointed that had I have booked on the day it would’ve cost me £100 less (I checked booking.com) There was also a lot of noise due to work being done on the roof. Although there were signs up to explain why, this wasn’t advertised when booking.

Location is perfect for every aspect of an Amsterdam visit. Rooms are big and comfortable and the staff are very helpful

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Only had 1 nights stay here and there was nothing I can say that I didn't like about it.

It is central to everything. The beds were reasonably comfortable, however would of preferred a double bed instead of 2 singles pushed together. Arrived at 9 in the morning and staff were kind enough to look after bags till check in.

5.5
    Whilst I understand the room size will never expand and I liked the central location I was not hap

I gathered from the canal tour guide the story of narrow stairs and small Amsterdam rooms to minimise tax bills ages ago but I certainly expected bigger standard single rooms and my room 233 had no outside view as the window faced an inside empty space from which I could only see the church and the chiming clock on its spire. Air extractor in the washroom was also noisy once the light was turned on.

Location: property very close to Central Railway station and shopping Street and Canal tour starts and restaurants and bars.

The location was excellent and very close to the train...

The room was extremely small and didn’t feel safe opening windows as there was scaffolding outside both windows which left easy access to our room. The carpet was soaking wet under where the tv was.

The location was excellent and very close to the train station

This centrally located hotel is fine for a long weekend but expensive for what you get.
    • Superior Twin Room

Our superior room was very dated, could do with redecorating and a neutral carpet. Coffee machine didn't work

The room had a huge open window so you could hang out and see the view. Beds comfortable. Decent sized ensuite. Central location.

Comfy and cool
    • Superior Twin Room

Was pleasently surprised to walk into a nice cool room on such a hot day. Really large and great bathroom with bath and toiletries. Brilliant location and 5 minuets from the train station.

The location was amazing, right in the city center and super...
    • Comfort Triple Room

The room was very ‘okay’. The hallway had a slightly weird smell too. If you’re not gonna stay in the hotel much or here for a short stay, would recommend.

The location was amazing, right in the city center and super close to warmeosstraat.

Could have picked something better for the money but everything is dear in this area

Hotel is like a ship with stairs up and down. Towels were so thin you could see through them. Had to pay 10euro deposit to use iron

In centre of shopping and bars. Beds comfy with good aircon, bathroom modern

Location excellent.
    • Superior Twin Room

Bad room servicing eg rubbish bin not emptied. Dirty towels left in room. Rooms quite dingy compared to photos.

Location excellent. 500m from railway station and starting point for other activities. Great restaurants nearby.

Excellent location

Soft bed and no bed side cabinet.

Excellent location and helpful staff. Room a bit small, but it is a couple of old buildings joined, so that adds a bit of character. A bit tired decoration wise, but had everything we needed, including a free safe and decent air con. Didn't know about the building works until after we'd booked and paid, but no work at the weekend, so only woken one morning at 8.30. Didn't pay a lot for such a central hotel, so good value for money and would go back.

The room was very noisy from the street below because the...

The room was very noisy from the street below because the window didn't close properly. The bed was very lumpy and sagged in the middle. The town clock a few blocks away chimed every 15 minutes.

Perfect place if you don't need to spend long in the room
    • Comfort Triple Room

We were put in a basement room, it was very noisy as it is next to a staff room/cleaning room. The room was very dirty, the walls were mouldy and the hair dryer in the bathroom had mould growing in between the cables. The shower would over flow onto the floor if you were in longer than a. couple minutes. The beds always felt damp due to air conditioning.

Brilliant location. Staff were friendly

The location was excellent.

The staff was okay. We asked if we could store our luggage days before our actual stay (hotels almost always allows this -- we've tried it in several countries in Europe) and they didn't allow it, even if they had a huge space available. They cited that the storage room was accessible to everyone. Storage room should only be accessed by staff. We stored our suitcases in the prior hotel we stayed at.

The location was excellent. It was close to Amsterdam Centraal and other major attractions. The bed was very comfortable and the room was suitable for a solo traveller.

Disappointing.

Room 6 should NEVER be let until it has had a major refurb. Rising damp. All bedding was damp, and whole room was damp, bathroom smelt of stagnant water. It should not let as it is not suitable for habitation. The room we were moved to after the first night was ok, and if we had been put in a similar room in the first place we would probably have given an ok review. It was not worth the money given the state of Room 6. When we spoke to reception that night we got a shrug of the shoulders and 'nothing I can do about it' (literally those were the words the man said), it was too late to argue and move to another hotel (which is probably what they rely on). Do NOT accept room 6 until you have seen it!

Location was very central and convenient for Central Station.

Great location. Great staff. Comfy beds. WiFi not so great in the higher floors of the hotel.

No teabags or milk for those important first thing hot drinks. Cleaning staff emptied a whole bottle of bottled water (not cheap in Amsterdam) from the nespresso 'kettle'. Stayed in attic room and struggled to connect to wifi.

Lovely hotel and staff. Very comfortable beds. Recommended as convenient and central location.

Power cut for 30 minutes
    • Economy Twin Room

Power cut for 30 minutes Very noisy on the street even with windows closed! Hard to get sleep Am staying there in a few weeks again for work and am a little nervous

Location, facilities.

We decided to extend our stay by 1 day and tried to extend by the same. Were told that only supirior rooms were available. Checked and rebooked through booking.com to find a few rooms available. Booked then checked out then back in. To be told by the wonderful lady on recption that our room was free.

Location, facilities... all perfect.

Would not stay in this hotel again

Bedroom was very small and stuffy with view of brick wall. Room was grubby with worn out furnishings. Bathroom leaked and plumbing was noisy throughout the night

Coffee machine in bedroom

Enjoyed the vibe of the area during the day
    • Superior Twin Room

The only negative was the room at street level and being disturbed late at night when people were passing by and talking loudly. Choosing a room on a non street facing area could have worked better for me

The location to train station influenced my choice of the hotel. It was also close to a variety of cafes and restaurants and Buses and trams .

Red light location wont suit everyone.

Good location if you like brothels and dope cafe's. Not for us! Too many louts and potheads hanging around made for unseemly atmosphere, but that's not really the hotel's fault, just the location. Expensive.

Nice room with view on street. Friendly staff. very near station but that has its drawbacks.

• Quadruple Room

Dark unpleasant room underground with no natural light , window opened into a small shaft underground with rubbish thrown in it. Room smelt badly and had stains, broken fittings and other people’s socks still left under bed. Wifi didn’t work. Shower head broken .

A bit noisy but very good breakfast and perfect location

TVs are of a very bad quality, need to be exchanged. The noise on the street during the night (shouting people coming form the pubs) and in the morning (waste managemnet starts very early) should be also mentioned here....

Close to the night life

Bathroom handle came off, strange sounds in the room during the night, poor lighting, mirror in wrong place as could not get straighteners to reach, step up to bathroom was hazardous, pillar was in front of bath obstructing getting in

Central to everything

Perfect location.
    • Economy Twin Room

The room wasn’t overly large.

Great location, within minutes walk to the red light district which is a buzzing area at night. Nice staff and bathroom facilities.

very convinient if you have to moving a lot using train...

Room a little bit old and small

very convinient if you have to moving a lot using train because it’s near to armsterdam central station and easy to find restaurant because it’s in the city

Great location if you're happy with dated & somewhat basic facilities.

Decor & facilities somewhat dated - staff could have been a little more friendly.

Excellent location right in the heart of the city within walking distance of he main attractions & nightlife.

We stayed here for 2 nights.

Everything was normal

We stayed here for 2 nights. A very nice hotel. It’s in a great location, on a quiet street near by the central railway station - about a 5 min walk. It’s surrounded by lots of restaurants and shops. All of Amsterdam's sights are within walking distance. The hotel is very clean. The rooms were normal, perfect for a short trip.Beds were very comfortable . The bathroom is clean and equipped with all comforts and accessories, towels are changed daily. Good Wi-Fi. Staff were extremely helpful and very friendly. No issues at all. I would recommend this hotel and I would stay again if we plan on visiting Amsterdam again!

Browse XO Hotels City Centre traveller photo gallery