Reviews of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam 5 stars

Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, Amsterdam City Centre, 1012 EX Amsterdam, Netherlands

#14 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

Stayed here twice now, this was my third visit. Best hotel to stay in amsterdam (europe in general too). The location is perfect, amenities are great, check in/out is quick and staff are very helpful. Rooms are great in cleanliness and size. Will be here again.

Couldn't have been better

Wonderful---grounds, staff, and suite-- great location between two canals--as near to Amsterdam center as possible but in the courtyard quiet and secluded.

• Junior King Suite with View (2 Adults)

There is nothing I did not like.

I loved the room, the food (we ate in the restaurant and had room service) and the service (everyone went the extra mile to help us). The spa was also excellent and we both had wonderful massages. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

At the entrance the carpit is always dirty. In the room the furnitures are very old which I did not like at all. This hotel really need a refurbishment. Too expensive for this quality. We paid 1000 Eur/2 nights. Next time I wont choose this hotel as I do not like old style and You will not get the same as on the pictures on booking.com.

Staff were amazig. Breakfeast is very nice and good quality. Close to everything. We took the train from the airport 5 EUR per person. From the train station only 5-10 minutes walk to the hotel. Close to everything.

• Luxury Room (3 Adults) with canal view

Breakfast was terrible. We paid €28 each for breakfast and we chased tea and coffee 5 times and still failed to get a second cup. The restaurant staff did not care and sadly even though we paid for breakfast we ate elsewhere the second day. I do not expect this level of service at a 5* hotel - basics such as tea and coffee should be provided.

Beautiful hotel, great rooms, toiletries and staff on the front desk were super helpful and attentive.

• Superior Twin Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

I had an upgrade to a flat suite but the room odor was a bit weird .! I think something to do with plumbing

Location and The Authenticity ,Identity and Great history of the premises

• Junior King Suite with View (2 Adults)

The service just never matched the price. We had many issues - nothing huge but enough that it bothered me, given how much I was spending. The staff was always very responsive, after the fact, but none of the issues (eg. tea arriving after breakfast food was served, dinner dishes still on the table while desert was being served, housekeeping issues, etc) should have occurred in a place that cost $1000 US a night for the room we had. Again, they were responsive and apologetic after the fact but it still left a bad taste.

The physical space is gorgeous. Very well located.

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

On 5th floor the water pressure for the shower is poor. Intermittent warm and cold. The price of more than 500 euro for a standard room during a midweek day is over the top. I don't even pay that in Monte Carlo for a 4 star hotel

Breakfast, bed and so on were OK.

• Luxury Room (2 Adults) with canal view

The bed wasn't as comfortable as I'd have liked, but I have a bad back and am extremely picky.

Customer service was world-class and the property was gorgeous. One of my favorite hotels anywhere.

The price is expensive

Second stay in this hotel and it was great! I like the attention to the smallest details, the service of the staff, the amazing proximity to everything and the indoor pool. It is clear the hotel is managed by very high standards and you feel it everywhere. I highly recommend this place and will definitely come back for a third stay

• Superior Twin Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

I was told by one proud staffer that The Grand was a 5-star PLUS hotel and I quietly wondered 'where's that plus or even the 5th star?' This is a hotel that has Grand pretensions but doesn't quite deliver. The lobby is uninspiring, the buffet a bit skimpy, the pool lacks a hot tub in an obvious spot for one and, most shockingly, there was far more noise than expected: a rowdy bunch of louts in the lobby, small children running in the halls and two nights of noisy conversation late into the night in the courtyard outside our window. I was offered a free drink to assuage me but the damage was done--nice hotel but a bit presumptuous to try to pass it off for 5 stars--and let's wait awhile to stick that PLUS on it, shall we?

The staff was excellent and the room very comfortable but unexceptional.

• Junior King Suite with View

Extremely poor stuff work. Made queues for breakfast and we had to wait for drinks for 40 mins. Very impolite waiters, impossible to attract their attention just to bring menues. Food leaves much to be desired. Extremely disappointing experience.

• Luxury Room (2 Adults) with canal view

if there is a downside it might only be that special comes at a price.but in our opinion it is worth it!

From the architecture and grand facade to the staff and food everything about this hotel will make your stay special . the concierge were particularly helpful and efficient .They helped arrange at least 2 visits which I hadn’t been able to do in the UK.nothing was too much trouble.

• Superior Room with 1 Queen size Bed - Canal View

Every aspect of the hotel was exquisite! The staff was extremely helpful, cheerful and respectful. They went above and beyond to accommodate us when our trip was delayed an extra day. They even helped us with getting new plane tickets. The scent of fresh flowers in the lobby set the tone from the moment we walked in from the beautiful courtyard. Our room was quiet and restful with a view of the canal. A plethora of shops and restaurants are a short walking distance away. The feather bed was out of this world!

• Junior King Suite with View

I cannot wait for an excuse to go back

Big surprise when we arrived was we got butler room service with Champagne and Chocolates. First time and we all made good use of it. Super people , marvelous service by the whole team. Everybody is very kind, helpful and do their utter best to please their guests with a 360° comfy feeling.

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

I arrived a little jet lagged and tired from my journey and the receptionist was rude to me in my opinion on my arrival. I had a lot of bags and she was not patient enough to allow me to locate my passport etc. to check in. There were a few long sighs. I got given one of the worst rooms on arrival also by this receptionist. We were located on the first floor overlooking the road outside. It was very noisy outside and the room was also a little worn. I complained to another receptionist and asked to move rooms and I got a lovely room overlooking the courtyard on the 3rd floor.

The bed was very comfortable. The spa was lovely and generally most of the staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Superior Room with 1 Queen size Bed - Canal View

Room was way too small for the price. Other hotels in Amsterdam offer far greater value and far better rooms. Won’t stay here again

Location is perfect

• Superior Twin Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

I could not find one single fault with this hotel.it was a brilliant experience.

Stunning service,The bar staff in particular were beyond excellence in friendliness,service and personality.

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

The hotel was very nice and the staff were great. Our only disappointment was the morning buffets. We stayed over for 5 nights and pre-paid for morning breakfast. The service is adequate and not what you would expect in a 5 star hotel. One morning it took over 25 minutes to get 2 cups of coffee and over an hour for 2 omelettes. They kept apologizing and telling us the kitchen was busy. But this was the case every day. VERY SLOW kitchen service.

Booked a junior suit for three adults got a double room with a portable pull down bed tried to complain all I was told this is what I booked were not interested absolute rip off Not worth the money

Location good

• Luxury Room (2 Adults) with canal view

Everything was just perfect! The staff is very attentive. This is not my first stay at this hotel. And the service is one of the best I've ever had. The breakfast is delicious - coffee, smoothy, fresh juice (interesting combination of tastes), hot dishes, pastry - everything is very good. You can address to the concierge with any question and he really will do his best to help you.

• Superior Room with 1 Queen size Bed - Canal View

I honestly can't think of anything major. Might have been extra nice if the bathroom tiles were heated as the floor was a little cold. Not an easy thing to change and didn't detract from our overall experience.

The overall experience was superb. We came for a long weekend for my husband's birthday and one day we came back into the room to find a dessert and a happy birthday message for him. The staff were all extremely friendly and professional and really focused on ensuring we had a great experience. Room was lovely, food in the restaurants was superb. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a hotel in Amsterdam.

Slightly pricey but it was a one off stay in a 5 star.

Made to feel very welcome, loved the facilities and quality of rooms. In a perfect location for touring central Amsterdam.

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

Staff who stare at you, not able to understand English and speak it clearly. Long wait for specific easy to prepare food at breakfast, slow waiter service at breakfast. Poor gym facilities (only cardio machines and one resistance machine)

Bed was comfy, bathroom nicely attired and fittings /furnishings of a 5 star hotel.

Restaurant is being refurbed so thechoice was limited ...nice though...limited for vegetarian and no vegan which is a shame. Chairs were really uncomfortable too.

The staff were just wonderful!

• Luxury Room (2 Adults) with canal view

The restaurant is closed, this wasn’t made clear at the time of booking. Instead, there is a pop up Italian restaurant which looks makeshift. The breakfast is served in a function room and feels temporary. The spa is only available to use with children between 12-6pm, exactly the times when you want to sightsee! Also, not made clear before booking. Overall, the hotel needs updating, it isn’t a five star hotel, the pool/spa is very small and the decor and furnishings are worn out.

The staff are very friendly and helpful, they’re the best thing about the hotel!

• Luxury Room (2 Adults) with canal view

Location, Location, Location! Super location, in the center of it all. Walking through the city is easy and the hotel was easy to find without getting lost.

• Junior King Suite with View (2 Adults)

I was unaware of how much is not included within the original price of the hotel, for example the film chanels were 13 euros and anything from the fridges in the room such as water etc was all at a cost.

Spa and Massages left us feeling completely relaxed. The bed was huge, with a completely luxurious bathroom! We felt so special due to the 'little things' organised by staff, such as a birthday cake etc. Please remember to ask for a newly referbished room. This was key. This hotel is a prime spot within Amsterdam.

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

There is nothing I didn’t like

Every member of staff we came into contact with were polite, friendly and helpful. They were all trained to a high standard and made our stay even more pleasant. Every aspect of the hotel is to an extremely high standard and I couldn’t fault any of it. I would only want to stay there should I visit Amsterdam again. When we were checking in they were asking about our visit and I told them we are there for my Partner’s birthday that evening we found a cake in our room for him. So thoughtful! The towels were wonderful especially the dressing gowns. The beds were soft, you just sunk into them and roomy. There was the right amount of storage, the mini bar allowed us to store some of our own things. The bathrooms were wonderful. The hair dryer was so powerful unlike most other hotels. The tv and Bose sound system were an excellent bonus and usb charging points made everything a little easier. A truly wonderful hotel!

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

Details were missing, not enough shower gel, coffee, milk, sweetner in the room. No instructions for the coffee machine. Breakfast cost an extra €38,--! My Dutch pancake was cold! The bread was stale!! I complained; the restaurant manageress revised the price. We did not know what time breakfast was served on New Year's Day..basic information should be more forthcoming to hotel guests. A little less 'sexy glamour' on the reception and more information for guests! The Concierges Philip, Paul and Moritz were excellent. Their help and information was invaluable! I had the impression we were dealing with knowledgable, interesting people. As an 'old couple' we like luxury, comfort and value for our money! Polly, Hamburg, Germany

This is the 3rd time we have stayed here. Since we wanted to be in Amsterdam over New Year, I had to book through Booking.com! At first we were given a bad room at the top of the building miles away from lifts, amenities etc. I complained considering I had paid 6 months in advance! We were given a better room on the 3rd floor. (Bedroom/bathroom/desk and comfy chairs). The past 2 times we were given a junior suite, i.e. bedroom, sitting-room and bathroom (for the same price!)

• Classic Single Room with Garden View

I liked the courtesy of the staff at the reception and the housekeeping. I also enjoyed the staff at the spa. They were friendly and understanding.

• Luxury Room (2 Adults) with canal view

Room is absolutely disappointing. The design of washroom is so weird and inconvenient. Furnishing is really bad and of low quality.

The food in Bridges restaurant is good

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

Spa was not to expectations for a hotel of this rating. Massage therapist did not deliver to professionalism one would expect. Very amateurish.

Very good staff, great location and comfortable room.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

Only downside was that pool not available. As very cold and snowy, we probably would not have used it.

Had upgrade to a lovely suite with canal view. Excellent breakfast choice and good friendly service. All staff very well trained.

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

Everything! Location, staff, the facility and its restaurants are all wonderful. Reception and Concierge service went above and beyond our expectations!

• Junior King Suite with View (2 Adults)

Wish they have one more restaurant to offer fine dinning, the Michelin star restaurant is a bit causal.

The hotel was very kind to upgraded my room and the service was great. The spa treatment was also a great treat to have.

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

The location was perfect, staff ate very friendly and the roomas are extremely clean Pool and suna is small but its great Breakfast is all you need to start your day with !

• Luxury Room (2 Adults) with canal view

In a perfect location for restaurants. 5 minute walk to the main street Damrak. Seriously 5 star. Remembered my birthday and sent a cake up to the room to help me celebrate. Would stay here again - no questions asked.

• Luxury Room (2 Adults) with canal view

Treadbare furnishings in a bedroom that should have been refurbished 3 years ago. Dated decor scheme. Room small for the cost. Friendly restaurant staff were disorganised leading to delays even when it wasn’t busy.

Attentive and friendly staff in all areas of the hotel. Nice common areas and quirky bar. Good breakfasts.

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

The hotel was stunning and the staff very accommodating, everything was perfect although I do think that €38 per person for breakfast is a bit pricey so we didn't stay for breakfast.

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

Food in the Brasserie restaurant certainly not 5 star quality. My special request initiated via yourselves was not wholly embraced by the hotel. My request to the hotel prior to our visit in booking a taxi offered the most expensive option Of 150 Euros as compared with a 50 Euro option and one used by us via the Hotel on our departing journey.

Staff/customer care quite outstanding. This is a great Hotel a very good choice and we will return.

• Luxury Room (2 Adults) with canal view

Nothing our trip was perfect

Staff were amazing and very attentive - room was gorgeous and overlooked the canal - bed was the comfiest I’ve ever slept in - I even bought the pillows to take home. Location is bang in the centre next to everything

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

For the amount of money it cost us, I thought the room could have been a little bit bigger, plus there were only a few clothes hangers so had to ask for more. The room and bathroom where also quite dark.

The location and staff are fab.

• Classic Single Room with Garden View

The room was small, the bathroom was literally added into the room space and had a sewage aroma to it. The spa and pool were claustrophobic and seemed to lack fresh air.

The location was very central to the old town, near the Dam Square.

• Superior Twin Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

Im a short fat guy, so the toilet was not made for my size..

The 5 star touch in Everything. From personal and warming welcome, swift and extremely responsive house cleaning, very comfortable rooms and facilities, high end entertainment system, simply the best value for money i ever spent in my travels. I could feel the hotel history, adds to the majestic vibe it has. The rooms are very quite, no noise from corridors or from next room. Plus I got a personal birthday cake and postcard that was very surprising and unexpected. The location was great for me and my friends, the nearby coffeshop is one of the best ones, walking 2 minutes puts you in the great vobe of the red light district, 5 more minutes and we were in dam square at the ADE festival. The hotel concierge and doormen are allways helpful and friendly. Well, i loved it. It is now my favorite hotel in Europe.

• Luxury Room (2 Adults) with canal view

Bridges dinner very expensive. Need a better map for quests at concierge station. Very easy to get lost and turned around. Concierge could do a better job.

Bed was fantastic. Want to order linens for my bed at home.

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

The kettle was not clean they did change it but it stayed the same only not happy because had to make baby’s milk

Very good location and love the bath in the room

• Superior Room with 1 Queen size Bed - Canal View

The room itself could have been larger. Also, the windows could not be opened, likely for safety reasons, but it would have been nice to open them in a room on the canal. Lastly (not the fault of the hotel) I wish we had used the hotel's parking. We used a garage nearby (in terms of casual walking, but not for hauling luggage). The cost ended up being the same, with more inconvenience. So get onsite parking.

The staff were awesome. Each person from the man at the reception desk to the young man bringing coffee at breakfast was professional and personable.

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

I would like to have had fresh orange juice at breakfast and not from a bottle...

What a great hotel, what a friendly and well-trained staff ! So good... Not cheap, pricy, but worthwhile... I only had good experiences here ! I will be back !

Look above. The neighborhood was filthy. Not appropriate for young children or adults. We constantly had headaches from the massive smoking of cigarettes and marijuana.

We loved the hotel, but the location was terrible. The red light district was filthy. Garbage everywhere, smoking, prostitution, sex shops, excessive screaming through night from the people on the street. It's to bad the hotel is in that neighborhood. We most likely will not return to Amsterdam.

Rooms too small.

We liked the hotel. The staff were uniformly cheerful and helpful. Our only complaint: the rooms are small...even the "superior" rooms.

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

Maybe don't take the cab from the hotel to the airport UNLESS you make sure the cab driver runs the meter. We were overcharged!

Very nice place. Excellent service at every turn. Great location. Breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel was a terrific buffet (although expensive)!

• Superior Room with 1 Queen size Bed - Canal View

The staff excellent performance way more than professional highly trained and top of service they present the hotel in best way every staff looks after the hostel image and all the guests I do really appreciate the hard work of the staff the hotel absolutely fabulous

• Luxury Room (3 Adults) with canal view

room is small, we asked for sofa bed for our 2 kids but got an extra bed in the room which made it so crowded and my other son has to sleep in the floor.

a beautiful hotel, nice lobby.

• Junior King Suite with View (2 Adults)

We liked everything apart from the lack of a decent decaf coffee and the menu in the fine dining was rather limited for some of our group

Lovely beds in our suite. We were very happy to have a valet; Domingo, he was very helpful with all our planning and making sure we had everything we needed. Breakfast was plentiful and varied but I could not get a decent cup of decaf coffee.

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

Too expensive for what the hotel has to offer- poor quality service and facilities that were disappointing. The plugs in my room didn't work, for example, and the water does not get very hot (only mild) - staff was not very effective at solving these problems. Location is also bad because it is only truly close to the red light district everything else worth seeing is at least 15 mins walk away and the public transfer trams don't go that close to the hotel

• Classic Single Room with Garden View

The hot food service at breakfast was a bit slow.

The hotel was beautiful, the outdoor courtyard was lovely to spend some time in, the bathrooms were amazing and the showers had lots of hot water and plenty of pressure. Luca the host at breakfast was a delight and the concierge was of great assistance on a couple of occasions. The location is just perfect for the older and more central part of Amsterdam and the hotel was a comforting oasis to come back and rest.

• Superior Twin Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

The historic hotel but most of all the staff...vibrant, smiling and very helpful. The Bridges Restaurant was the highlight for us with the effervescent Simone standing out. She made it all look easy with her quick and tasteful humour and attention to detail. Our stay was made perfect by her vitality. Kudos and more kudos to her !!

• Luxury Room (2 Adults) with canal view

A little b-mol: service at breakfast a little bit disorganized and slow.

Very friendly and highly professional staff. Super Accomodation. We had e free upgrade to a Junior Suite. Fantastic room. Overall a great experience for two wonderful days in Amsterdam.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

Everything was wonderful.

Best location by far. Staff was was amazing! There were little treats left in your room like macaroons under a bell jar adorned with a peacock feather. I would return just to stay at the hotel even if it were not in the center of all of the attractions. We were greeted each morning by Hester at breakfast with a cheerful hello. We slept in and missed breakfast one morning. She said no worries, and magically brought us bowls of fruit, yogurt, and had the chef whip up our favorites! She seemed to anticipate what you like before you even know what you want! Amazing service!

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

• Junior King Suite with View (2 Adults)

The breakfast wasn't anything special. There was lots of choice but I wanted a full English breakfast which wasn't on the menu. Other than that, the food for breakfast was very nice.

The hotel was clean, staff very friendly and polite. The bed was sooooooo comfy and rain shower was very relaxing. The hotel is in a very central location meaning we didn't have to walk very far to be in all the main parts of Amsterdam.

• Luxury Room (3 Adults) with canal view

My only criticism is the pull out bed as it was not very comfortable. This was due to x3 people sharing a room. The actual bed was heavenly and felt I missed out on a good nights sleep :(

I was truly impressed with the hotel and it is pure luxury! If I was go to go back to Amsterdam would rebook with no hesitation! I loved as soon as you walked in the free treats and the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. They went 'above and beyond' as Saturday evening wanted to hire a bike for 2 hours and did not charge us. The room was fabulous and LOVED the shower!!!!!

• Superior Twin Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

Room's Housekeeping...Rooms not cleaned very well.

Excellent and professional Customer service...All staff are friendly and easy to communicate with

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Leaving.

I have been in Amsterdam man times and this hotel has the best location in the city! Beautiful entrance, nice swimming pool and sauna facilities - excellent for relaxing after a long work day or long traveling day. Excellent staff making sure to keep guests welcome in the hotel which is not so common in Europe. Might be the best hotel in Amsterdam...

• Luxury Room (2 Adults) with canal view

I liked it all... everyone was friendly and helpful. I was really amazed when upon determining my passion for Lego building that the bakery was asked to make some special Lego brick looking candies and delivered to the room... gratis. Now that is a special touch.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

The staff here were the best i ever experienced special note to the breakfast crew who were absolute stars .Nothing was to much trouble and were friendly and engaging. It is very rare you get where everybody was so pleasant .

• Superior Twin Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

Did not care for the marijuana smell in the area and into our room through the windows. This hotel is in the Red light district. Breakfast buffet is 50 euros

The room was very quiet. The front staff is very helpful. Easy walking distance to everything.

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

The gym is tiny with very few alternatives for strength training (few weights an a broken machine). Our room on the first floor got a lot of noise from the street even when people were not very loud (bad/nonexistent soundproofing). If you are not interested in the gym and get a room higher up you will have a fabulous stay!

Overall a fantastic hotel. The breakfast is very expensive but absolutely fantastic!

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Junior King Suite with View (2 Adults)

the price for the room . a junior king suite is nothing more than bed, couch for one and two chairs. large bathroom with tub is center makes moving around room not comfortale, for over 700 USD per nigtt, expected more

staff, restaurant bridges is so lovely, perferct date spot, breakfast brought to my room no charge, butlets available although didn't use

• Superior Room with 1 Queen size Bed - Canal View

Wonderful, luxury hotel -- what a treat! The personnel were sweet and professional and very welcoming, the room (especially the bed) was really comfortable. We will be back!

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Superior Room with 1 Queen size Bed - Canal View

Excellent hotel and a very friendly and professional staff. Very impressed with all the little attentions to my 3 years old daughter, suggestions to print at the reception the tickets to the zoo so we don't have to queue etc etc. The breakfast is excellent too with very big choices for every culture. The room not very big but super comfortable, the bed is amazing and the last floor very silent. We'll be back without any doubt.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

Curtains and shower

Wonderful all round. Just the shower pressure was poor and the curtains weee not dark enough or close nicely to keep out the morning sunlight

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

Exceptional service! All staff were very competent, friendly and helpful. One of the best breakfasts at any hotel. Very comfortable bed. Great property in a very good location. Highly recommended for any type of traveler.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

• Superior Room with 1 Queen size Bed - Canal View

Nothing could have been better but the weather:)

Beautiful hotel! All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful! Loved the dinning at the hotel and breakfast! Highly recommend and hope to go back w/ the rest of my family some day

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

• Superior Queen Room with Courtyard, Garden or City View

bedroom was small, nothing was special at the room.

location and qualified employees. overall place was high quality. Concierge recommended very nice places.

Browse Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam traveller photo gallery