Reviews of Van der Valk Hotel Rotterdam - Blijdorp 4 stars

Energieweg 2, 3041 JC Rotterdam, Netherlands

#35 of 58 hotels in Rotterdam

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Staffs in the restaurant were not very friendly. They are ignoring me.

Location is great! Easy to take the 33 bus to Rotterdam Centraal. Zoo and park near by!

• Classic Double Room

Our room was a it small, carpets need replacing as does the furniture, it's all a it dated. There was a rusty dirty toilet brush holder beside the loo & should of been thrown away! Our bed linen smelt strange, clean but not pleasant. So for the price your charging it should be a lot more updated & modern, also a bottle of water would be a nice gesture as when you arrive late & tired you instantly need a glass of water! The complimentry beverage box needs to be checked as we had no sugar & just 2 packets of awful dried milk! These things certainly disappointed me because when I walked into the hotel I was impressed at what I saw then my room let the whole experience become a bit disappointing. We didn't let this spoil our time with you though.

Location was spot on for us as my son lives close by. The bed was very comfortable. The staff were very helpful & friendly. The reception area looks amazing & so stylish.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

- poor wine selection at the bar - room was rather warm (opening window not a real option because of potential street noise). - Room was dated (especially the carpet; albeit it was clean)

- good breakfast. - quiet room. - good bed.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The bed wasn't very comfortable for the back.

Friendly staff, excellent wifi, free parking in front of the hotel. If the parking is full (limited places) you can park at the Zoo for 4€/day.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Even though we paid about 330Eur for 2 nights, we were sent in a room equipped for people with special needs (physical disabilities), without carpet, different wc setup, miserable view (wall)! Luckily, after we asked for another room, they gave a normal room. But trust me, the bad feeling from the first room, left us with a very bad experience. I wish this experience it wont repeat. The location was not near! To call a taxi takes 40 mins and they may still not answer. To walk to the city center it takes about 40 minutes. To take the bus, it takes about 20 minutes :). No apologizes from the receptionists! Everything for them was normal :)

I liked the website staff that said its near the city. But it was untrue. To call a taxi takes 40 mins and they may still not answer. To walk to the city center it takes about 40 minutes. To take the bus, it takes about 20 minutes :).

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Free car park isn’t that big and it can be a bit busy. You can pay 4€ to park in another area of the carpark if you can’t find any space.

We visited Holland during the tulip season and hired a car to go round. We are happy with the location for our accommodation since the drive from Lisse to Rotterdam only took about 40 minutes. The room was spacious and the bed was comfortable. Room service was also very good.

• Classic Double Room

Very limited free parking, less than 15 spaces. Ticketed parking next door. (8Euro per session).

Very clean and modern hotel facilities. Easy direct bus connection to Rotterdam.

• Executive Double Room

The staff in the restaurant can be trained better.

the location is great when you’re traveling with a car. It’s quiet and the beds are super comfortable.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Probably, these are only my problems, but it was difficult for me to be in a room with a window that is facing inside hotel space.

I wish to note a beautiful modern design, floral arrangements. The hotel is convenient for people with disabilities.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

blanket to thin. breakfast can be better.cold boiled eggs,no fried eggs at all,compared to vd valk schiphol you should take them as an excellent standard to work to.

matress ,pillow, shower ok

• Superior Double or Twin Room

No flavoured yogurt at breakfast and better labelling to include English of items at breakfast.

Overall atmosphere of the hotel was excellent, friendly staff who spoke perfect English - felt very much at home! After a long drive to Rotterdam from Southampton UK, it was nice to meet such efficient, informative, enthusiastic staff, thanks.....

• Superior Double or Twin Room

I believe the hotel is rather expensive "value-for-money-wise. Especially when you add up the price for breakfast, and additional expense if you want to make use of the gym facilities. I did appreciate that they take your special diet requests into account at the breakfast restaurant.

This hotel is very decent. The rooms are big and clean. They take your special diet requests into account.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Unfriendly staff and expensive room service where th charge €5 just bring something. Menu in room was out of date. Limited vegetarian and vegan options.

Nice room

• Superior Double or Twin Room

This hotel is very convenient if you have a car. It's not far from the town and it's closed to the zoo. The staffs were very helpful and friendly. The hotel is modern styles and the room is very comfortable.

No particular negative points

Hotel is good value for money at the weekend rate. A car is recommendable as it is located slightly out of the city centre and remote from any shops or alike. The room are comfortable and quiet. The breakfast seems to be pricy.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

I think it's to expensive considering room design and facilities of the hotel.

The hotel is located not far away from the Rotterdam city center. Rooms are big. Staff is restaurant very polite and helpful.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

There is an empty minibar, I mean not even a bottle of water, for bad robe & sleepers you need to call the reception. Just for info. Still, you are one of my favorites 😉

The size of the room is great, spotless clean, thank God, you can open your windows for some fresh air. My cleaning lady was so friendly, guys on the reception were very helpful. Love my stay. Will definitely recommend.

• Classic Double Room

Lobby-front great, rear lobby excellent for snack and reading/entertaining, restaurant good, very friendly and efficient staff. I keep going back to this hotel when in The Netherlands.

• Classic Double Room

One of the few hotels with good accessible stairs. Don't need to wait for the lift if you're on a lower floor. Restaurant was good, I didn't have time for breakfast but they were open before time and it looked fine.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The bed was too soft, fortunately large so in the middle part it was better than on the edges. I slept quite badly each night during my stay. There was also some noise coming from ventilation (I guess) although I did turn it off. The light was coming in from the corridor as there was a gap in the bottom part of it. Some of the towels were ripped off, level of cleaning could be better as well. As I could not get a good sleep here on any night, I will not choose this place to stay again.

The room was rather huge, with a nice view and surroundings. Breakfast was delicious, many options to choose from. Staff polite and helpful.

• Classic Double Room

Hotel advertises free shuttle bus from airport BUT you have to book this in advance and not at all obvious how to do this. AIrport fare is EUR 20 or you must take a 33 Bus. Free Wifi is very slow especially in the evening. Service in main resturant at dinner is not great but food good.. Note that the hotel refunded my breakfast and gave me 2 free drinks for issue with the shuttle bus which was very considerate and thanks to them for this nice guesture

Good location comfortable room of a good size so able to work easily. Very modern hotel

• Classic Double Room

Staff are very friendly, great location, public transport is so easy to use. Zoo next door is brilliant! Would definitely stay again (this is 2nd time we have stayed!).

• Classic Double Room

Sadly we had been misinformed about our stay and the costs, and had originally been told that our breakfast was included in our price, to be presented with a bill when we checked out!!

Breakfast had a good choice of food, hotel was pleasant and the restaurant and bar staff were very pleasant.

• Classic Double Room

If you stay here and eat in the restaurant make sure you check your bill. Paid for drinks at bar only to find them added to bill as well. The manager did sort it out in the end, but we also had to ask for our change after a 20 minutes wait. Think he expected to keep the 23 euros as a tip!!! Having reviewed this hotel before booking parking was to be free. What they didn't say was there was only a few spaces outside. We did only pay 4 euros for the 3 nights we stayed through.

Rooms were very spacious, big bathroom, very comfy bed, nice to have tea making facilities but could have done with more coffee. Food in the restaurant was quite good. The lady that was our waitress on our first night was excellent. The zoo is right next door only a 5 minute walk.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

No negative experiences to report.

We never take breakfast at the hotel. The hotel is comfortable and has a decent price during weekends. The car parking is convenient and free of charge. The personnel is friendly and the rooms are clean.

• Classic Double Room

nothing, we stayed one night and it was just what we wanted

reception staff were very friendly, chatty and interested in us. food was excellent, staff all excellent, attentive and friendly. a little costly but we expected that. would most likely stay again.

• Classic Double Room

It had dead bugs on the walls. There was no complimentary water. Room service closed early, so if you didn't eat before a late check into bad. English is not spoken much and they look at you crazy when they don't understand you. I won't stay here again and I won't recommend it!

It was near where I needed to be.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

We never take breakfast as the price seems to be too high for the quality provided. But you do not have to take it as it is an option to the room price. No particular negative points.

The hotel provides good value for money. The location is good and most visit points of interest in Rotterdam can be easily reached. Parking is also good. The staff is friendly and the rooms are clean.

• Classic Double Room

if I really had to sum up something negative: one pancake of the 30 available for breakfast was somewhat hard. I took anotherone which was amazing.

Breakfast was absolutely amazing. The location of the hotel is good to visit city centre (10 minutes by bus 32). Experience is everything you can expect of Vandervalk.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

One recepcionist was not as friendly as I would expect from such a hotel. Smiling is for free and guests should be replied nicely to normal queries.

Bed was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Superior Double or Twin Room

For this night nothing. If it would have been a hotel where I'd spend a longer vacation I'd probably wouldn't like the bathroom (especially not the glass door) and the breakfast is quite expensive. But for one night it's fine

We weren't supposed to spend the night in Rotterdam, but it was saturday night, it was fun and we needed a place to sleep. Van der Valk is quite central, a nice hotel, nice people, wonderful beds, a nice bar and good value for money

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

• Classic Double Room

For a hotel restaurant, it had a surprisingly good atmosphere. The food was tasty (I had sea bream and king prawns) and pretty speedy. I liked the male restaurant manager. - he was funny.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

• Classic Double Room

Down side was distance from cental Rotterdam. But it was only a 6 euro cab ride.

Food was really good. Staff friendly and efficient. Made to feel relaxed and welcome

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

• Classic Double Room

Hotelrooms start to show signs of wear and tear: burning marks of cigarettes on bathroom sink, lamps without switch strings, carpets with spots, etc. Breakfast is too expensive for the food offered

Friendly staff, good beds, overall comfortable room for price level. Good parking facilities. Fridge and safe in room

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

i arrived at 1800 , they gave me by mistake a wrong type of room and i had to wait 90 minutes to finally they gave me the right type of room

it was my second time there , i really like this hotel

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

• Suite

Our room was a suite. We sepcifically asked to prepare it for 2 with one large bed. Yet, instead of a sofa or couch in the extra room, there was another double bed. We really didn't need 4 beds for the 2 of us. We could have used some seating area instead.

Spacious room. Location allowing for a walk to Centraal (ca. 40 minutes). Good value for the money overall.

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

• Classic Double Room

price has become a little higher for £gbp customers. i would like all van der valk hotels to be of the same high standard as the rotterdam hotels

van der valk chain is mostly of a high standard, with modern hotels particularly in the rotterdam area.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

I requested a double bed upon the booking and, upon arrival, I was given a room with 2 single beds. The staff claimed they were fully booked and couldn't give us another room. Unacceptable as I made the booking weeks in advance !

• Classic Double Room

Transport for travel by bus slightly difficult to find for outsiders.

Good services. Good restaurant with friendly staff. For this hotel very good food prices. Reception very good. Hotel tariff excellent compared with equivalent in Amsterdam.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Small step into bathroom for the disabled. Not a problem for me but should really be flat. might just be that room though.

Friendly staff, Nice room and useful location

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Unpleasant smell at the bathroom, probably due to drain pipes. Also on the arrival day, the bathroom floor was still wet behind the door, a detail that should be worked out.

Travelling by car, this is a great place, since you are just 15 minutes away from centre of Rotterdam with public transportation; it is close enough from the highway, to be a few minutes drive from Delft, Gouda or Den Haag. Confortable bed and a good value for the money.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Location was a bit far out of city. We stayed two night and one night was good value and the second night ridiculously high price. We did not like smokers being near us as we ate our meal.

The out door dining and buffet breakfast. Quiet location and parking available at no cost

• Reviewed: 12 September 2016

• Suite

Shower needs to be 'power' ! Receptionist while checking out had a loud voice in which she announced our bill infront of our friends who we had treated to dinner the night before ! Her note was brusque and loud and she simmered down when we paid. Needs more polish or maybe she was uncomfortable with non white. The décor inside rooms is dull, uninspiring-very neutral. Don't open windows in summer as there are seriously loud humming mosquitoes, stubborn ones, possibly from canal. The a/c is fine. Waiter did not sing whilst bringing in our cake but the local Dutch gang had the enthusiastic waiter who sang in Dutch while getting their cake in. It happened at the same time so we felt it but we had our friends so we got over it.

We had booked 2 rooms as a family and they put us on the same floor-handy. The suite was spacious, beds were big and comfy and loved the toilets. Good location with a pretty canal running alongside. Parking, no problem. A special note to the chef and waiters who we saw working really hard, smiling and recognising us the next morning instead of the usual blanking out one encounters these days. Restaurant is well run and food was delicious. It was my son's birthday and I had ordered cake from them as a surprise dessert. I forgot to bring the candles. They rose to the occasion, lit some fireworks on the cake and made it special.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

I did not like how I had to wait over an hour for my room, the key card didn't work, I got given a double bed when booked and requested a twin bed. Got given double bed twice and the third got given a twin bed for a disabled persons room. The TV did not work properly kept switching off.

Location was good

• Reviewed: 19 August 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

We dos not use public transportation...but for sightseing...especially downtown Rotterdam...I would pick something in walking distance to the atractions.

Good sized room, agreable hotel. It suited our needs.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

The staff at the check-in reception was incredibly unfriendly. The hotel needs some renovation (unclean carpets, missing hooks, etc.). The drainage points in the bathroom were partially plugged also. The rooms above the entrance are quite noisy when you sleep with an open window considering that some people have no issue to make a lot of noise after 2 o'clock in the morning. The breakfast buffet is defintely overpriced.

The rooms are quite spacy and the beds are comfortable. Parking is free most of the time. Location is OK but out of city centre. Of course ideal in case you wish to visit the Zoo (next to it). Price-quality is fair.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

Uncomfortable mattress. Small rooms with no window to the street. The windows looked directly to the lobby and reception and can not be opened. Very unpleasant. This should be explained at the time of booking!

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

The room view was to the inside of the hotel lobby and there was no way to open the window..so no air except the ac

Clean. Friendly staff. Free parking

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

Personel was very client-unfriendly. They prefer booking directly on the hotel site and not via booking.com. Therefore the service is limited to the strict minimum in case of booking via booking.com.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Classic Double Room

Was disappointed that the hotel bus was not being used to pick up or drop of at the airport as stated on web site

The hotel was clean and staff very helpful when my TV stop working a member of staff came a sorted it out for me straight way first class service

• Reviewed: 16 July 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The rooms were extremely disappointing. They were dated and dirty, we moved into two different rooms on two different floors and both rooms had hair and dirt in the bathroom and on the furniture. My bill was adjusted for the inconvenience, but if I knew the room was going to be so disappointing, I would of stayed somewhere else.

The lobby was very clean and inviting. The parking lot was convenient and secure.

• Reviewed: 14 July 2016

• Classic Double Room

Again breakfast was not included (only with seperate charge)... Smell in the lobby needs to be taken cared of...

Big hotel, nice rooms. Very clean, everything is accesible. Location wasnt the best, little drive from center. But for the value (good choice)

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

• Classic Double Room

Among others: - dirty (poorly washed) dish at the breakfast, - small room (booked a standard one), - no slippers, - no coffee machine in the room, - upon arrival TV not working (was kindly immediately replaced), - mini bar was empty.

Several years ago I was staying at Van der Valk hotel in Haarlem. Like it a lot, so my decision for stay in Rotterdam was easy! However this time ... only the terrace I really like!

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Would like more electrical outlets in the rooms.

I have learned in my travels through Europe the Van Der Valk Hotels are always a company yo can count on for service, quality and value.

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

• Classic Double Room

Then restaurant is very pleasant, the staff helpful, but it's very slow service and the kitchen is trying to hard to be fancy. It doesn't quite come off. Breakfast is very expensive - you's have to eat an awful lot to get value for money!

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Shower frame was a dirty.

beds were really comfortable, resturant food was very good,

• Superior Double or Twin Room

We always stay here when in Holland. half the price of Amsterdam, next to the zoo and really good food in restaurant and really big safe car park

• Classic Double Room

car parking area is not safe. my car's tires were stolen and I was parked just 50meters away from hotel enterance where security cameras cover

• Superior Double or Twin Room

It was a little bit far away from the city center

The room was clean and comfy. We were satisfied!

• Classic Double Room

Too few free parking spots

Good matress. Calm. Comfy

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Bed was comfy. Room spacious. Had everything we needed.

Limit parking place

Clean and nice staff

• Superior Double or Twin Room

no comments, all was good

all nice, and location is quite and within walking distance to downtown

• Classic Double Room

Had to remake the bed, as the mattress cover wasn't on properly, leaving the bed lumpy.

Excellent staff, room nice, pet friendly.

The mini bar is empty

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Wifi network was weak most of the time.

Good location, clean, friendly stuff & comfort.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Hotel has got just a limited parking place.

Nice hotel, friendly staff, very good restaurant

Nothing I can think of

Spacious room Comfortable beds Range of plug sockets

• Classic Double Room

Room was too hot with no way to lower the temperature.

Convenient location outside the center near the highway and zoo

The breakfast is expensive

The room and the staff

Bad mattresses

Nice restaurant, good food.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Very nice hotel, room was spacious, clean, almost 10 minutes from center ( by car), we enjoyed the staying

• Classic Double Room

Noisy downstairs which you could here in the room

Didn't miss anything