Reviews of Van der Valk de Bilt-Utrecht 4 stars

De Holle Bilt 1, 3732 HM De Bilt, Netherlands

#2 of 2 hotels in De Bilt

Very convenient if you have to be in this area!
    • Comfort Double Room

Water pressure shower not good. Elevator and reception area are old. Breakfast area is not taken care of: unoccupied tables, full of leftover breakfast. Staff looked irritated, don't bother.

The room and bathroom are sufficient. They location is great.

Peaceful time
    • Economy Double Room

The bed in the room was not comfortable.

The hotel was peaceful. Distance to city center was fair. Service in the restaurant is wonderful and the taste of food as well.

Clean, spacious
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

Checked in only to realize the pool was not operational and they were uncertain when it would be open again. Asked front reception for compensation like breakfast comp since I was looking forward to using the pool, and she just shrugged her shoulders with no other feedback.

Clean, spacious

Excellent rooms. Fair food.
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

The food. Risotto needs lots of help. And overall food was not so good. Needs some profesional guidance.

The rooms were excellent. The food needs a better chef.

Beatiful area, clean room, delicious food in restaurant
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

I didn´t like the bed - 2 beds with wheels were moving, I would apreciate better communication from hotel and better choice during the breakfast.

Beatiful area, clean room, delicious food in restaurant

Comfortable!
    • Comfort Double Room

I didn't like having to go underground and take the lift every time I went to my room. The staff at the dest was formal but did not offer any other guidance to make things easy.

I liked the area where it the hotel is located, the rooms, bathrooms and dining areas. I also liked the possibility to bring my dog. It is a beautiful place to stay! The restaurant staff and the food were very good.

The hotel is in general just fine.
    • Economy Double Room

I was waken up at 1 am by a food delivery guy who accidently knocked at the wrong door. I was surprised that somebody could just walk into the hotel and start randomly waking up guests. When I reported this the morning after at the front desk there was no response besides; "that should not be possible". That was it. I did not get the feeling anyone really cared.

The hotel is in general just fine.

This hotel is a great find!

Not a fan of the beds - far too soft for me, and for others in the group also.

Apart from the beds, I can't fault anything. Loved the hotel, very good facilities, food was exceptional in the restaurant and not overpriced, and breakfast was extremely good also. Particularly liked the little bar hidden away under the road!! Would hope to return and spend longer at this hotel.

the room was very comfortable, the bathroom as well, quite...
    • Comfort Double Room

while I was checking in, the trainee at the front desk couldn't find my name, because I filled in my mom's name as the guest (on booking.com there's only one blank to type in the name, even for a double room). It took really a long while, another colleague came to help but didn't really help much, she only found another guest's name (who has the same surname as mine) and insisted that it's my room, although I told her several times that it's not. They couldn't use the booking code I have on my phone as well, they said it's only for booking.com. It was very uncomfortable, pretty much spoiled the mood that evening. The hotel was nice, but they really need to train their front desk personnel a bit better.

the room was very comfortable, the bathroom as well, quite nice in general.

Located at tranquil place that is considered a province, yet...
    • Economy Double Room

Located at tranquil place that is considered a province, yet 1 minute away from a bus stop, and buses go directly to the center in 15 minutes. So that way you are a step away from all the fun of Utrecht while still residing in a cozy countryside. Lovely. The price was bellow average on that day.

Got an upgrade to a comfort room without asking, the bath...
    • Economy Double Room

Thougt the key was enough to identify at the restaurant, next time better explain guests to bring the card that goes with the key.

Got an upgrade to a comfort room without asking, the bath was a very welcome additional item.

excellent location and comfy place.
    • Economy Double Room

the parking area is usually filled up at evening arrival with cars from people who have come for dinner. a compliment to the restaurant but harder to find a space when you are a guest checking in after early evening meal at other place!

spacious room, good beds with great lighting. coffe& tea facilities, normal standard in UK & even US, but rather seldom in NL!! location was near old people’s home where my aunt recently moved to. due to caregiving to her & late uncle at other location I was not able to stay at this hotel for 2,5 yrs!!

Changes not for the best - last visit for me. Use Figi in Zeist
    • Deluxe Double Room

Breakfast ruined with modernisation with removal of toaster, hot breakfast cooking facilities and individual yogurt pots. Most guest eating in the bar instead! Deluxe Room has tired uncomfortable bed, only 2 teabags and one suitcase support for 2 people.

Location near friends. MUST INSIST ON ROOM AT THE BACK otherwise you will face main road noise traffic

The room was so good and comfortable, I enjoyed the stay...
    • Economy Double Room

If you are using public transport then you have to walk for a while and all the restaurants near by provide Buffet but they are bit expensive (30 euro for a dinner).

The room was so good and comfortable, I enjoyed the stay very much. Swimming pool was clean and good. Wish I would stay one more time here in mere future..

Nice rooms, beds, big tv, dinner superb, staff super friendly
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

We thought the breakfast was not very good. Cold pancakes and not very much choice for the money. In the Schiphol location there is a lot more to choose from and delicious and gorgeous ambiance.

Nice rooms, beds, big tv, dinner superb, staff super friendly

It was ok, nothing more
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

The hotel trying to be fancy village four stars hotel. But failed. Cheap and sad lamps, gold wallpaper, very poor sink. Totally uncomfortable separate bed (2 bed connected together) with the softest mattress. The hairdryer was pretty old and low-power. But, the worst thing - it about stuff. Receptionist was very nice, I liked her, but room cleaner - was not nice at all. One time she came at 11 o'clock, and I was sleeping, because I came from music festival pretty late. And, she didn't say "Sorry, I'll come later", but instead she was trying to know the exact time, when I'll leave. It was a little bit rude. Of course, I forgot about the sign 'do not disturb', but anyway, that conversation was unpleasant. And, remember, that hotel good for people with the car.

I can't say anything bad about swimming pool, because I don't visited it, but, at least it looks good from the window.

very pleasant. i recommand.
    • Economy Double Room

my room was to far away from the main entrance and the restaurants. I had to carry my luggage with me at breakfast to avoid loosing to much time and go back to my room. Also, the route to get to it from the inside didn't forsee a lift to get to the other wing of the hotel where my room was. I wasn't handy to carry my stuff by the stairs and no one to help.

Service and location are very nice. The room was beautiful as the hotel. Foos was a bit strange, but probably I'm not used to Dutch cuisine :) Breakfast Amazing as Always!

My fifth visit and I have a "homecoming" feeling...
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

Nothing that I could identify.

My fifth visit and I have a "homecoming" feeling each time. Friendly, helpful staff, extensive renovations and excellent position near beautiful woodland for walking.

Very good value for money!
    • Economy Double Room

The nicely designed bathrooms had small inconveniences: the shower area was only partially separated from the rest of the bathroom, leading to water spills in the latter; the toilet roll holder was only fixed to the wall on one side and kept tilting annoyingly.

Staff very friendly and efficient. Bedroom and bathroom spacious and clean. Comfortable beds. Many very good breakfast choices. Good restaurant for lunch and dinner. Free small swimming pool. Practical location.

It was to short
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

The furniture in the room, a place to put our suitcases to unpack

Yes the breakfast is one of the best of all other v.d.valks. Than there is dinner, we are a week in advance thinking about the Dover sole, And that is always our first meal in the Netherlands. We come here every year and we know the people and they know us.

The room and bed were very comfortable and good variety of...
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

There were no taxis at the train station and I had to walk over 45 minutes at night alone to the property

The room and bed were very comfortable and good variety of food for breakfast.

Ease and speed of check in, plus the fact that it is close...
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

Smell from the corridor outside our rooms, which smelt like drugs. Other than that service, cleanliness, and room service were all perfect.

Ease and speed of check in, plus the fact that it is close to my mother

Quiet and pretty location with nearby trails
    • Economy Double Room

Everything was great. Nice area and nice outdoor dining/relax area. Also really appreciated the bike rentals. We enjoyed a wonderful day biking the area including the city of Utrecht which is an easy and pleasant 3km bike ride to get to center. Stop off to get a bite to eat at the many places that have great food, and take a ride to the Dom tower, the Botanical gardens or a bike path out into countryside!

Good and comfortable hotel
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

Not easy to reach with public transport from Utrecht city centre (bus+short walk or bus transfer). Close to a busy road, although not noisy at night.

Very good hotel. Big, clean and comfortable room. Good restaurant for dinner and breakfast. Nice terrace to have a drink. Very nice staff.

weekend getaway
    • Comfort Double Room

Waiting times too long both at the reception and the restaurant. Less than mediocre scrambled eggs for a breakfast this expensive.

Quiet and clean room, not loud AC, working wifi. Nice steak in the restaurant.

Very comfortable, close to where we needed to be. (Visiting family in Bilthoven)
    • Deluxe Double Room

Croissants seem to have shrunk in size since our last visit

Ground floor room with terrace. We have stayed in similar room before and is perfect for my disabled partner

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

Value for money.
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

Call center was at reception, was a bit annoying sometimes. You have to wait too long when restaurant is full for a simple drink.

Clean room and wonderful forest nearby for walks. Not far from Utrecht City center. Good internet and swimmingpool.

Value for money.
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

receptionist was alone and constant on the phone on check in. Staff was not attentive when we ordered drinks. Passing us constantly. It took almost 35 minutes before we could order.

Spacios room and balcony. Good bed.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

- food is good
    • Suite

- wifi wasn't working (I had proper connection, but the bandwidth of the hotel isn't high enough to support all guests). I had to drive back to the Utrecht city center to be able to check my e-mails. 2e day of our stay was a little bit better, but still the internet speeds are not what you expect these days... Even after calling the reception desk I never got any feedback. That's a missed opportunity. - Not all towels which we did put on the floor got changed - restaurant booking wasn't put trough - no minibar in suite

- food is good - the suite looks good - good bed - green environment, ideal for running - very friendly staff, on my leaving they convinced me to not cancel my next booking in a few months to give them a second chance. Hopefully I can write a better review by then.

quiet place in province
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

far from the city - good to rent a car Nothing in that area and restaurant in hotel doesn't provide wide variety - its wise to get some food from supermarket in town and keep in the fridge in the room 95% of guests were very seniors, it felt a bit odd to be there

cosy rooms awesome bathrooms fast wifi coffee machine in the room!

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

This is a wonderful hotel for business and leisure...
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

I can think of nothing I didn't like. I'm looking forward to returning in the spring and making use of the lovely terraces where food and drink is served, and also sitting out on the terrace with the room. As a city person, I was not bothered by the traffic on a nearby highway that begins about 5 in the morning. But it isn't noticeable unless you have the terrace door open, and then only on the highway side of the hotel. The hotel is air-conditioned so it need not be an issue even in summer.

This is a wonderful hotel for business and leisure travellers; we had one of each as I just went along when my husband had business in the Netherlands. The hotel has two restaurants, plus the largest bar area I've ever seen in a hotel, beautifully decorated and with lots of seating of many sorts. It also has a breakfast room that becomes a more formal dining room than the other two at times. The food was well-prepared, abundant, and fresh. Service was impeccable in the restaurants, and the room service, which we ordered the night we arrived as we were exhausted, was excellent, well-cooked and delivered hot in a very timely manner. I didn't use the swimming pool, but it is indoors with a skylight and I believe it is open 24/7 as it is located not to bother any of the rooms, although reaching it is very easy. Our room had a wet room, and it was the best I have ever had. Indeed, I didn't like them much until I experienced this one. There is also a long, safe wooded walk across the street from the hotel, which was lovely as we had our dog with it. BTW, dogs are no problem, welcome in all the restaurants and the bar, as well as one's room. Best of all, virtually the entire staff is by-lingual in Dutch and English, not unusual in the Netherlands generally, but really welcome in any case for English travelers. As are several English-language channels on the TV.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

I would stay here again.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Would be nice to have a spa facility ie. sauna, massage, facial etc.

Van der Valk always offer value for money in terms of room rates and dining. The restaurant and quality of food is excellent and portion sizes are always very generous. The kids corner is also a great idea.

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

Quiet clean room - breakfast room a no-go area
    • Deluxe Double Room

Breakfast experience was most unpleasant and not in any way guest-friendly: rude staff member shouting across irritated instructions that I explained I didn't understand (i don't speak Dutch); three out of the five cereals too high to reach and one of the two within reach was pretty empty; was asked three times within five minutes what my room number was. The whole breakfast-room experience was "anti-guest". Next time, I'd skip it.

Room was spacious, spotlessly clean and comfortable. Reception staff were friendly, professional and helpful - in fact, without the help of the reception staff, I would have had no breakfast!

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

Nice renovated room, nespresso machines (shame for the cheap...
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

Very noisy rooms, next to the busy highways. Please Should upgrade the windows to sound proof windows.

Nice renovated room, nespresso machines (shame for the cheap capsules) friendly staff

• Reviewed: 28 October 2016

A happy return to a favourite destination.
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

I can't think of any way in which my experience (my fourth) of De Biltsche Hoek could have been improved.

A smiling and helpful welcome on an early arrival and an unexpected upgrade on this my fourth visit. A newly-refurbished room and splendid new bathroom made my stay very comfortable. Staff uniformly pleasant and helpful. The situation suits me perfectly for visiting local friends and walking in the beautiful adjacent woods of Langoed Beerschoten .

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

Comfort in style
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

Perhaps the service in the restaurant (at times other than breakfast) can be a bit faster.

The room was ultra comfortable and clean. The coffee machine in the room is wonderful! Modern bathroom, well appointed. Great food, excellent breakfast. Friendly and helpful staff. I had a most enjoyable stay.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

Have stayed here several times. Can always count on good service and cleanliness
    • Deluxe Double Room

At times parking can be a problem especially when there is a celebration/meeting in the banquet /conference rooms

Clean linens. Staff always accommodating. Breakfast service variety of food, beverages. Frigerator in room.

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

Clean, easy parking, nice restaurant.
    • Comfort Triple Room

The black-woman waitress at breakfast serve could have a better attitude. Lack of hot water. Mattress too soft. Bad network.

Clean, easy parking, nice restaurant.

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

OK for a short visit

Compared to the Van der Valk in Houten, the breakfast is not as good

Good value meal in the restaurant, a glass of house red to unwind was nice. Too bad I did not have time to enjoy the pool, it looked rather inviting.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

I have not seen this before...
    • Deluxe Double Room

Some one from personal hotel was offer "relax for money" with some other quest after my negative answer. On next morning says me, I must leave hotel and don't back my money...

Pool was closed in june

Pool was closed in june

Messy hotel lots of long corridors. Bicycles were parked inside the hotel Room had strange smell

Location Wifi

Loved the restaurant, delicious food served.
    • Economy Double Room

Loved the restaurant, delicious food served.

Quiet place.

Not good connection to Utrecht

Quiet place. Comfortable bed. Clean.

It was a lovely, quite and comfortable stay for us.
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

The surrounding is lovley.

It was a lovely, quite and comfortable stay for us.

Everything was very good.
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

Everything was very good. Tasty food. Friendly staff. Big and clean rooms. Free parking. Perfect.

Another nice hotel in the Netherlands.
    • Deluxe Double Room

The rooms were large and very comfortable. The view was of a great and tranquil.

Stayed many times , never disappoints
    • Comfort Double Room

I have stayed here for more than 20 years . It’s always excellent with exceptional staff.

Nice and clean location with friendly staff.
    • Economy Double Room

Nice and clean location with friendly staff.

Staff was very helpful and friendly
    • Economy Double Room

Didn’t figure out the coffee maker

Staff was very helpful and friendly

Great location. Rented bicycles to go to city centre. Lovely friendly staff.
    • Comfort Double Room

My pillow was too thick. But that is the nature of travelling.

Great breakfast!

This is an excellent and friendly hotel only minutes from the center of Utrecht.
    • Comfort Double Room

Great breakfast. Great view. Tranquil setting. Quiet room. Great bed. Comfortable chairs. Great shower. Free parking.

expensive breakfast

Greatest hotel!

Greatest hotel!

good hotel
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

located a little bit far from Amsterdam.

a newly renovated hotel. The decoreations are new. Service is friendly. Parking possibilitity is easily.

Very late booking due to previous hotel booking failure.
    • Economy Double Room

Very late booking due to previous hotel booking failure. Staff very helpful

Would definitely recommend this hotel.
    • Economy Double Room

Super clean everywhere. Very helpful English speaking staff. Terrific breakfast buffet.

The bed was really uncomfortable, the room was not very cozy...
    • Economy Double Room

The bed was really uncomfortable, the room was not very cozy, overall not worth the price they charge.

Great place to stay
    • Economy Double Room

Traffic noise, but that is not easy to solve, I admit Free parking

at the check-out they forgot to charge the price of booking.com. They've charged us their prices.

bed was too soft

Nice room size

It was clean and comfortable
    • Economy Double Room

There was nothing I didn't like

It was clean and comfortable

Enjoyable stay
    • Comfort Double Room

Room a long way from reception

Everything we needed as in our room. Only comment is it was a long way from reception but not a huge problem

Comfortable stay

All was good

Very nice room, perfect bed, great bathroom

Excellent!!!
    • Comfort Double Room

- Excellent hotel, very nice rooms and common areas. - Very kind staff - Good Restaurant - Good price

Awesome location, great staff.
    • Economy Double Room

Awesome location, great staff.

Great location, friendly staff, value for money.
    • Comfort Double Room

Great location, friendly staff, value for money.

Convenient business hotel, good food

Convenient business hotel, good food

Nice large rooms
    • Economy Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

Heat difficult to control.

Nice large rooms

Over past two years we have stayed eight times

Staff

Always stay here when in Utrecht, probably the 7 time.

NOthing

The general atmosphere in the hotel is good. Down to the high quality of the staff I suspect.

Very pleasant overnight stay. Restaurant extremely popular and full very early evening.

No complaints

Excellent evening meal in restaurant. Waiter a bit scatty but "lovable". He looked about 17 and undertrained.

Great hotel

Good food, comfortable room

Was good !!!
    • Comfort Double Room - Disability Access

The twin beds were rolling here sndvthere

Was all good

I return on a regular basis
    • Economy Double Room

There must be better rates available for regular customers ?l return

Economy room was more than adeguate.

Browse Van der Valk de Bilt-Utrecht traveller photo gallery